anniversaries and special events
Summary: Occasions to commemorate an event or occasions designated for a specific purpose.
- Meehan P, Toomey K, Drinnon J, Cunningham S, Anderson N, Baker E. Public health response for the 1996 Olympic Games. JAMA. 1998;279:1469-73 pubmed..Public health agencies should take the lead in organizing and implementing a system for preventing and managing public health issues at future large-scale public events such as the Olympics. ..
- Soligard T, Steffen K, Palmer D, Alonso J, Bahr R, Lopes A, et al. Sports injury and illness incidence in the Rio de Janeiro 2016 Olympic Summer Games: A prospective study of 11274 athletes from 207 countries. Br J Sports Med. 2017;51:1265-1271 pubmed publisher..Overall, 8% of the athletes incurred at least one injury during the Olympic Games, and 5% an illness, which is slightly lower than in the Olympic Summer Games of 2008 and 2012. ..
- Walsh K. Lightning and severe thunderstorms in event management. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2012;11:131-4 pubmed publisher..In addition, research needs to be expanded in the realm of establishing guidelines for safety to participants and spectators in severe wind conditions. ..
- Neighbors C, Atkins D, Lewis M, Lee C, Kaysen D, Mittmann A, et al. Event-specific drinking among college students. Psychol Addict Behav. 2011;25:702-7 pubmed publisher..Results are discussed in terms of practical applications for targeted intervention efforts on college campuses toward specific events where elevated drinking is known to occur. ..
- Moy G, Han F, Chen J. Ensuring and promoting food safety during the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2010;7:981-3 pubmed publisher..The food safety experiences of the 2008 Beijing Olympics might be usefully applied to major sporting events and mass gatherings in the future. ..
- Velichko M. [The 50th anniversary of cosmic era on pages of "Military-medicine magazine" (to the 185th anniversary of magazine)]. Voen Med Zh. 2007;328:74-8 pubmed
- Preissner K. 50 years thrombosis and haemostasis (1957-2007): keeping thoughts and blood in flow. Thromb Haemost. 2007;98:1-2 pubmed
- Schwellnus M, Derman W, Jordaan E, Blauwet C, Emery C, Pit Grosheide P, et al. Factors associated with illness in athletes participating in the London 2012 Paralympic Games: a prospective cohort study involving 49,910 athlete-days. Br J Sports Med. 2013;47:433-40 pubmed publisher..Age and gender were not independent predictors of illness. Illness is common in Paralympic athletes and the main factor associated with higher IR of illness was the type of sport (athletics). ..
- Lovis C, Ball M, Boyer C, Elkin P, Ishikawa K, Jaffe C, et al. Hospital and health information systems - Current perspectives. Contribution of the IMIA Health Information Systems Working Group. Yearb Med Inform. 2011;6:73-82 pubmed..As we continue to work to develop next-generation HISs, we must remember the lessons of the past as we strive to develop the solutions for tomorrow. ..
- Buiuc D, Pânzaru C. [The centennial of the Department of Microbiology Ia?i--tribute to predecessors]. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi. 2011;115:277-88 pubmed..Nicolau. 1942-1946 Third intermediate period. * 1946 The Bacteriology Department redivivus: Professor Petru Condrea * 1953 The Discipline of Virology: Professor Mihai Duca. ..
- Faulkner S. Life b'long Ali Drummond (the life of Ali Drummond). Med J Aust. 2008;188:582 pubmed
- Solez K. History of the Banff classification of allograft pathology as it approaches its 20th year. Curr Opin Organ Transplant. 2010;15:49-51 pubmed publisher..It is crucial for patient care and crucial for clinical trials of new therapies that it remains updated and modern, an important dynamic yardstick against which we measure clinical success. ..
- Alonso J, Junge A, Renstrom P, Engebretsen L, Mountjoy M, Dvorak J. Sports injuries surveillance during the 2007 IAAF World Athletics Championships. Clin J Sport Med. 2009;19:26-32 pubmed publisher..Preventive interventions should mainly focus on overuse injuries and adequate rehabilitation of previous injuries. ..
- Arnold J. The 1906 San Francisco earthquake: a centennial contemplation. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2006;21:133-4 pubmed
- Grossman M. 'A Theory of the Allocation of Time' Turns Fifty: Its Impact on the Field of Health Economics. Health Econ. 2016;25:3-7 pubmed publisher..Becker in the 1965 volume of The Economic Journal. To mark that occasion, this editorial focuses on the importance of that paper in the history and evolution of the field of health economics. ..
- Lougeay J, Fekete S, Gordon J. Party with a purpose. Case study: creating a lasting impact with a signature event. MGMA Connex. 2007;7:33-5 pubmed
- Fantus R. NTDB data points: Ringing in the new year. Bull Am Coll Surg. 2007;92:36-7 pubmed
- Solov ev A, Andriukov B. [Military-navy clinical hospital of the Pacific Ocean celebrates the 135th anniversary]. Voen Med Zh. 2007;328:86-9 pubmed
- Williams N. Darwin television celebrations begin. Curr Biol. 2008;18:R685-6 pubmed
- Santos L, Paes Sousa R, Silva Junior J, Victora C. National Immunization Day: a strategy to monitor health and nutrition indicators. Bull World Health Organ. 2008;86:474-9 pubmed..It is sensible to conclude that the experience reported here could be reproduced wherever NID coverage is very high. ..
- Murphy M. A sporting chance. J R Soc Promot Health. 2007;127:106-7 pubmed
- Dixon A. Who had a hand in policy?. Health Serv J. 2008;Suppl:59-61 pubmed
- Mejia L. [On the 90th anniversary of the Instituto Nacional de Salud]. Biomedica. 2007;27:155-6 pubmed
- Liang X, Zhang A, Chen W, Li M, Lü C, Schamasch P, et al. [Analysis on disease distribution at Beijing 2008 Olympic venues]. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2009;89:1438-40 pubmed..The ophthalmological and ENT specialists are recommended at training venues and respiratory specialists at special control zones. Meanwhile, the gastroenterologic and stomatological specialists should be present at all venues. ..
- Dunaway M. Happy anniversary!. Caring. 2006;25:78 pubmed
- Ferris M. Celebrating milestones. Caring. 2006;25:50-1 pubmed
- Willis C. Library services for persons with disabilities: twentieth anniversary update. Med Ref Serv Q. 2012;31:92-104 pubmed publisher..Based on a 24% response rate, libraries have addressed accessibility of technology in cost-effective and relatively easy ways. Libraries are reactively rather than proactively making changes to services for persons with disabilities. ..
- Shipway R. Sustainable legacies for the 2012 Olympic Games. J R Soc Promot Health. 2007;127:119-24 pubmed..Achieving this would possibly be the greatest legacy of the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. ..
- Rittenberry R. A history of OH&S. Occup Health Saf. 2007;76:60, 62-9 pubmed
- Barr A, Lau R, Ng N, da Silva M, Baptista M, Oliveira V, et al. What would you do? Managing a metro network during mass crowd events. J Bus Contin Emer Plan. 2010;4:174-80 pubmed..To this end, representatives from four major public metro systems (London, Hong Kong, Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo) describe how their respective metro systems respond to the capacity demands of a major annual event. ..
- Wertheimer M. Max Wertheimer centennial celebration in Germany. Hist Psychol. 2014;17:129-30 pubmed publisher..Introduces a celebration of Max Wertheimer. The articles presented here should help clarify some significant aspects of the history of Gestalt psychology and of Max Wertheimer's biography. ..
- Hardcastle T, Samlal S, Naidoo R, Hendrikse S, Gloster A, Ramlal M, et al. A redundant resource: a pre-planned casualty clearing station for a FIFA 2010 Stadium in Durban. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2012;27:409-15 pubmed publisher..48 per 10,000 and transport-to-hospital rate (TTHR) of 0.09/10,000 are reported. Lessons learned and implications for future event planning are discussed in the light of the existing literature. ..
- Kapischke M, Pries A. Theodor Billroth's vision and Karl Ziegler's action: commemoration of the 40th day of death and the 50th anniversary of conferment of Nobel Prize for Chemistry of Karl Ziegler. Surgery. 2014;155:347-9 pubmed publisher..In 1963 the Nobel Prize for Chemistry was awarded to Karl Ziegler and Giulio Natta in Stockholm. Furthermore, August 11, 2013 will be the 40th anniversary of Karl Ziegler's death. This manuscript honors both days. ..
- Komarov F, Rapoport S, Chibisov S. [The role of the Chronobiology and Chronomedicine Problem Board of Russian Academy of Medical Sciences in the development of internal medicine (on the occasion of its 25th anniversary) ]. Klin Med (Mosk). 2007;85:14-6 pubmed
- Vincent J, Singer M, Marini J, Moreno R, Levy M, Matthay M, et al. Thirty years of critical care medicine. Crit Care. 2010;14:311 pubmed publisher..We then look at the process of care and realize that, here, huge progress has been made. Lastly, we suggest how critical care medicine will continue to evolve for the better over the next 30 years. ..
- von Grabowski M, Wall A. [Cooperation of Polish and German orthopedists as a part of the Circle od Friends, 1995-2008. In memory of Prof. Johannes Breitenfelder]. Ortop Traumatol Rehabil. 2008;10:295-307 pubmed
- Cech T. On the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the discovery of catalytic RNA. Biol Chem. 2007;388:661-2 pubmed
- Zaba C. [90th anniversary of the Chair and Department of Forensic Medicine Poznan University of Medical Sciences]. Arch Med Sadowej Kryminol. 2011;61:93-101 pubmed
- Barnett M. Keep calm and carry on: the 2009 NEHA sabbatical exchange ambassador report. J Environ Health. 2011;73:20-3 pubmed
- Kurzatkowski W, Staniszewska M, Madalinski K, Juśkiewicz E. [Prof. W?odzimierz Kury?owicz (MD) (1910-1991)--100th anniversary of birthday]. Przegl Epidemiol. 2010;64:591-3 pubmed
- Karnieli Miller O, Frankel R, Inui T. Cloak of compassion, or evidence of elitism? An empirical analysis of white coat ceremonies. Med Educ. 2013;47:97-108 pubmed publisher..The schools' articulated construct of the white coat situated it as a symbol of humanism. This study's findings may clarify and guide schools' choices in designing their own WCCs. ..
- Schoen F. Cardiovascular pathology: maturation of a discipline and the Society for Cardiovascular Pathology. Cardiovasc Pathol. 2010;19:198-200 pubmed publisher..This communication briefly summarizes the maturation of Cardiovascular Pathology, both as a subspecialty of Pathology and as an academic discipline, and the founding and contributions of the Society for Cardiovascular Pathology. ..
- Kirkwood S. Traditions & ceremonies in EMS. Passing traditions from one generation to the next. EMS Mag. 2009;38:29-33 pubmed
- Wang W, Theodoraki E. Mass sport policy development in the Olympic City: the case of Qingdao--host to the 2008 sailing regatta. J R Soc Promot Health. 2007;127:125-32 pubmed..Nevertheless, negative effects are also evidenced in the greater imbalance between rural and urban sports development, and the high fees for using the new water sports facilities. ..
- Cheong J, Khoo S, Razman R. Spotlight on Athletes With a Disability: Malaysian Newspaper Coverage of the 2012 London Paralympic Games. Adapt Phys Activ Q. 2016;33:15-32 pubmed publisher..More articles and photographs of Malaysian (58%) than non-Malaysian (42%) athletes with a disability were identified. Only 14.9% of the articles and photographs were related to female athletes with a disability. ..
- van Dijk A, Dawson E, Moore K, Bélanger P. Risk Assessment During the Pan American and Parapan American Games, Toronto, 2015. Public Health Rep. 2017;132:106S-110S pubmed publisher..The risk assessment tool was useful for public health professionals responsible for surveillance activities during the games. Next steps include integrating the tool within the ACES system. ..
- Voelker R. Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Mark 35 years of health services research. JAMA. 2007;297:2571-3 pubmed
- Freidl G, Sonder G, Bovée L, Friesema I, van Rijckevorsel G, Ruijs W, et al. Hepatitis A outbreak among men who have sex with men (MSM) predominantly linked with the EuroPride, the Netherlands, July 2016 to February 2017. Euro Surveill. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..This strain is identical to a strain that has been causing a large outbreak among MSM in Taiwan. ..