operating room information systems
Summary: Information systems, usually computer-assisted, designed to store, manipulate, and retrieve information for planning, organizing, directing, and controlling administrative activities associated with the provision and utilization of operating room services and facilities.
- Dexter F, Willemsen Dunlap A, Lee J. Operating room managerial decision-making on the day of surgery with and without computer recommendations and status displays. Anesth Analg. 2007;105:419-29 pubmed..Organizational culture and socialization during clinical training may be a cause. Command displays showed promise in mitigating this tendency. Additional investigations are in our companion paper. ..
- Dexter F. A strategy to decide whether to move the last case of the day in an operating room to another empty operating room to decrease overtime labor costs. Anesth Analg. 2000;91:925-8 pubmed
- Eggli S, Holm J. [Implementation of a new electronic patient record in surgery]. Chirurg. 2001;72:1492-500 pubmed..The system supplies an extensive platform of information for patient treatment and an instrument to evaluate the efficiency of therapy strategies independent of the clinical field. ..
- Dzik S. Radio frequency identification for prevention of bedside errors. Transfusion. 2007;47:125S-129S; discussion 130S-131S pubmed
- Reyes R. Firm provides independent ratings on OR info systems. OR Manager. 2007;23:12-3 pubmed
- Mathias J, Patterson P. ASCs fine-tune preoperative process. OR Manager. 2005;21:27-8 pubmed
- Ogulata S, Erol R. A hierarchical multiple criteria mathematical programming approach for scheduling general surgery operations in large hospitals. J Med Syst. 2003;27:259-70 pubmed..Developed models are tested on the data collected in College of Medicine Research Hospital at Cukurova University as well as on simulated data sets using MPL optimization package. ..
- Fonger J. Integrated myocardial revascularization. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 1999;16 Suppl 2:S12-7 pubmed..The new clinical issues raised with these new approaches are reviewed for practitioners considering adopting this new treatment strategy. ..
- Epstein R, Dexter F, Piotrowski E. Automated correction of room location errors in anesthesia information management systems. Anesth Analg. 2008;107:965-71 pubmed publisher..g., holding area, block room, OR, and postanesthesia care unit), which cannot be determined from scheduled ORIMS or listed AIMS locations. ..
- Land S. Surgical information systems. The technology-enhanced surgery department. Health Manag Technol. 2004;25:20-3 pubmed..Renowned Texas cancer center uses perioperative software to boost its billing and revenue collection, and to make real-time patient information an enterprise capability. ..
- King J, McLaughlin J, Zellermeyer V, Asani M, Abarca R. Can supply chain software really deliver more nurses? St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto knows IT can. Healthc Q. 2005;8:125-7 pubmed
- Burghart C, Hassfeld S, Soler L, Woern H. Safety in computer assisted surgery. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2001;81:82-4 pubmed..We have developed a new approach for a safety architecture, which includes safety aspects considering patients, users, interdependencies and interactions of computer assisted methods and apparatuses. ..
- Greene J. Gaining efficiency with instrument tracking. OR Manager. 2004;20:17-9, 21-2 pubmed
- Bird L. Computerization in the OR. AORN J. 1997;66:312-7 pubmed
- Bahlman D, Johnson F. Using technology to improve and support communication and workflow processes. AORN J. 2005;82:65-73 pubmed..The new system provides staff members with an easy way to obtain critical pieces of patient information, as well as track the progress of patients and locate equipment. ..
- Ratcliffe M, Khan J, Magee K, McElhinney D, Hubner C. Collection of process data after cardiac surgery: initial implementation with a Java-based intranet applet. Ann Thorac Surg. 2000;69:1817-21; discussion 1821-2 pubmed..Java-based applets are inexpensive and can collect accurate postoperative process data, identify critical pathway deviations, and allow timely feedback of process data. ..
- Dexter F, Epstein R. Holiday and weekend operating room on-call staffing requirements. Anesth Analg. 2006;103:1494-8 pubmed..To be useful, the statistic must be combined with mathematically valid assessments of appropriate weekend staffing on-call, whether in-house, or from home. ..
- Haugh R. The future is now for surgery suites. Hosp Health Netw. 2003;77:50-4, 2 pubmed..Surgical robots on wheels move from one OR to the next. Decision-support tools alert clinicians to the possibility of error. ..
- Lynch F. The use of an interactive computerized daily schedule in a busy interventional radiology practice increases efficiency. J Am Coll Radiol. 2004;1:965-71 pubmed..34). The use of a computerized interactive daily schedule has a positive effect on departmental efficiency by allowing more cases to be performed without lengthening the workday. ..
- Gardner M, Peachey T. A standard XML Schema for computerised anaesthetic records. Anaesthesia. 2002;57:1174-82 pubmed..We also report on one approach to the development of an XML Schema for anaesthetic records (provisionally named SnowSchema in honour of Dr John Snow), and compare the current version with the suggested requirements. ..
- Torner N. Instrument tracking begets efficiency. Mater Manag Health Care. 2007;16:40-2 pubmed
- Trinh K, Wilson S, Gordon I, Williams R. Postintervention Patency: A Comparison of Stenting versus Patch Angioplasty for Dysfunctional Hemodialysis Access Sites. Ann Vasc Surg. 2016;33:120-5 pubmed publisher..Patch angioplasty appears to be a less attractive alternative for correction of venous outflow stenosis given the more invasive and occasionally technically difficult procedure. ..
- Patterson P. What's next for preop automation?. OR Manager. 2005;21:16 pubmed
- Isenmann R, Brinkmann A, Henne Bruns D. [Possibilities in improving patients's turn-over coordination in the OR of an University Hospital]. Zentralbl Chir. 2004;129:4-9 pubmed
- Alt D. Is it time to add a robot to your team?. OR Manager. 2003;19:30-2 pubmed
- Dopp A. Smooth flow. Technology helps midwest healthcare network avoid OR scheduling conflicts. Health Manag Technol. 2003;24:20-2 pubmed
- Gearon C. Medical errors. Going paperless. Hosp Health Netw. 2003;77:20, 22 pubmed
- Feng J, Chen H, Liu J. [Interface interconnection and data integration in implementing of digital operating room]. Sheng Wu Yi Xue Gong Cheng Xue Za Zhi. 2011;28:876-80 pubmed..And finally, this paper provides a proposal for the platform construction of digital perating-room as well as a viewpoint for standardization of domestic clinical equipments. ..
- Wachtel R, Dexter F. Difficulties and challenges associated with literature searches in operating room management, complete with recommendations. Anesth Analg. 2013;117:1460-79 pubmed publisher..The materials are presented broadly enough that the reader can extrapolate the findings to other areas of clinical and management issues in anesthesiology. ..
- Ramachandran S, Kheterpal S, Haas C, Saran K, Tremper K. Automated notification of suspected obstructive sleep apnea patients to the perioperative respiratory therapist: a pilot study. Respir Care. 2010;55:414-8 pubmed..As part of a hospital-wide postoperative policy, our automated OSA alert and perioperative RT system helped prevent sudden-onset acute respiratory compromise in postoperative patients with OSA or at risk of OSA. ..
- Dexter F, Wachtel R, Epstein R, Ledolter J, Todd M. Analysis of operating room allocations to optimize scheduling of specialty rotations for anesthesia trainees. Anesth Analg. 2010;111:520-4 pubmed publisher..Practically, with this method, anesthesia residents and student nurse anesthetists can be assigned cases within their scheduled rotations as often as possible. ..
- Xiao Y, Dexter F, Hu P, Dutton R. The use of distributed displays of operating room video when real-time occupancy status was available. Anesth Analg. 2008;106:554-60, table of contents pubmed publisher..quot; Our nurses and physicians both accepted and used distributed OR video as it provided useful information, regardless of whether real-time display of milestones was available (e.g., through anesthesia information system data). ..
- Ledolter J, Dexter F, Epstein R. Analysis of variance of communication latencies in anesthesia: comparing means of multiple log-normal distributions. Anesth Analg. 2011;113:888-96 pubmed publisher..a mixture of distributions). An ANOVA can be performed on a homogeneous segment of the data, followed by a single group analysis applied to all or portions of the data using a robust method, insensitive to the probability distribution. ..
- Tiwari V, Dexter F, Rothman B, Ehrenfeld J, Epstein R. Explanation for the near-constant mean time remaining in surgical cases exceeding their estimated duration, necessary for appropriate display on electronic white boards. Anesth Analg. 2013;117:487-93 pubmed publisher..g., conflict checking for resources, filling holes in the OR schedule, and preventing holes in the schedule). ..
- Swart R. Planning for the rapidly emerging digital OR. Can Oper Room Nurs J. 2005;23:6, 8, 32-4 pubmed..Here, the author explores why digital ORs are increasingly becoming the norm and what today's nurses need to understand in order to be effective in this emerging environment. ..
- Price C, O NEIL M, Bentley T, Brown P. Exploring the ontology of surgical procedures in the Read Thesaurus. Methods Inf Med. 1998;37:420-5 pubmed..We report progress to date and, based on our large-scale experience, examine the applicability of the European model to a user-defined terminology. ..
- Blair R. Right from the start. Health Manag Technol. 2005;26:46-7 pubmed
- Dexter F, Macario A, O Neill L. A strategy for deciding operating room assignments for second-shift anesthetists. Anesth Analg. 1999;89:920-4 pubmed..A relief strategy that relies only on analyzing historical case durations from an operating room information system to predict the time remaining in cases performs well at minimizing anesthetist staffing costs. ..
- Greene J. Patient tracking systems reduce phone calls, spot inefficiencies. OR Manager. 2004;20:1, 14-5, 18 pubmed
- Wertz M. More of a good thing. Surgical information system upgrades help Pennsylvania hospital eliminate paper records and improve revenue management. Health Manag Technol. 2003;24:32-3 pubmed
- Read Brown S, Sanders D, Brown A, Yackel T, Choi D, Tu D, et al. Time-motion analysis of clinical nursing documentation during implementation of an electronic operating room management system for ophthalmic surgery. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2013;2013:1195-204 pubmed..These findings have important implications for ambulatory surgery departments planning EHR implementation, and for research in system design. ..
- Frank S, Rothschild J, Masear C, Rivers R, Merritt W, Savage W, et al. Optimizing preoperative blood ordering with data acquired from an anesthesia information management system. Anesthesiology. 2013;118:1286-97 pubmed publisher..Using these methods to optimize the process of preoperative blood ordering can potentially improve operating room efficiency, increase patient safety, and decrease costs. ..
- Satava R. Disruptive visions. Surg Endosc. 2003;17:104-7 pubmed
- Ningler M, Schneider G, Stockmanns G, Schäpers G, Kochs E. [Databank for support of comprehensive study evaluations of signals for anesthesia monitoring]. Biomed Tech (Berl). 2002;47 Suppl 1 Pt 2:550-3 pubmed
- Marmulla R, Muhling J, Luth T, Eggers G, Hassfeld S. [New concepts in image assisted surgery: automated patient registration based on the jaw and external ear]. Mund Kiefer Gesichtschir. 2003;7:365-70 pubmed..9+/-0.9 mm). The usual CT acquisition with a conventional head support, however, led to temporary auricular deformations in more than half of the patients, which made an exact laser scan registration impossible. ..
- Wickramasinghe N, Schaffer J. Creating knowledge-driven healthcare processes with the Intelligence Continuum. Int J Electron Healthc. 2006;2:164-74 pubmed..In this paper, the case example of the orthopaedic OR is used to illustrate the power of the IC in effecting more efficient and effective healthcare processes to ensue and thereby enabling healthcare to make evolutionary changes. ..
- Bosman R. Impact of computerized information systems on workload in operating room and intensive care unit. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol. 2009;23:15-26 pubmed..Though it seems obvious to extrapolate these advantages of a CIS to the anesthesiology department or physicians in the intensive care, studies examining this assumption are scarce. ..
- Egan M, Sandberg W. Auto identification technology and its impact on patient safety in the Operating Room of the Future. Surg Innov. 2007;14:41-50; discussion 51 pubmed..Nevertheless, overcoming these obstacles is necessary if the vision of an operating room of the future in which all processes are monitored, controlled, and optimized is to be achieved. ..
- Doebbeling B, Burton M, Wiebke E, Miller S, Baxter L, Miller D, et al. Optimizing perioperative decision making: improved information for clinical workflow planning. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2012;2012:154-63 pubmed..Combinatorial optimization modeling can effectively evaluate alternatives to support key decisions for planning clinical workflow and improving care efficiency and satisfaction. ..
- Dexter F, Epstein R, Elgart R, Ledolter J. Forecasting and perception of average and latest hours worked by on-call anesthesiologists. Anesth Analg. 2009;109:1246-52 pubmed publisher..The data are useful because experience provides limited intuition. Updates on scheduled workload available closer to the day of surgery provided only marginal increases in knowledge over the use of historical data. ..
- Kos J. [Surgical nursing coordination in the central surgical clinic]. Krankenpfl J. 2005;43:8-11 pubmed
- Saver C. Bits and bytes of planning new ORs. OR Manager. 2008;24:17-8 pubmed