hospital radiology department
Summary: Hospital department which is responsible for the administration and provision of x-ray diagnostic and therapeutic services.
- Woodward G. Radiologic procedures, policies and protocols for pediatric emergency medicine. Pediatr Radiol. 2008;38 Suppl 4:S707-13 pubmed publisher..As in any new process, constructive feedback channels are imperative for evaluation and modification. ..
- Pitman A, Jones D. Radiologist workloads in teaching hospital departments: measuring the workload. Australas Radiol. 2006;50:12-20 pubmed..Strengths and weaknesses of this method and alternatives are reviewed, and a number of proposals for Australian teaching radiology departments are put forward to advance the issue of radiologist workloads in a disciplined manner. ..
- Thompson C. Radiology errors are the worst, USP says. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2006;63:402, 6 pubmed
- Pershad J, Gilmore B. Successful implementation of a radiology sedation service staffed exclusively by pediatric emergency physicians. Pediatrics. 2006;117:e413-22 pubmed..Our data suggest that a dedicated sedation team in support of diagnostic imaging services, staffed exclusively by PEM physicians, can be a successful clinical enterprise. The service consumes significant resources and physician time. ..
- Johnson C, Swensen S, Glenn L, Hovsepian D. Quality improvement in radiology: white paper report of the 2006 Sun Valley Group meeting. J Am Coll Radiol. 2007;4:145-7 pubmed
- Kakooei H, Ardakani M, Sadighi A. Determinants of exposure to chemical pollutants in wet X-ray film processing in Iran. Pak J Biol Sci. 2007;10:2341-7 pubmed..Employing of a digital imaging system that do not involve wet x-ray processing of photographic film would be a useful device for radiographers protection. ..
- Smith G. Disruptive business models and the small or rural radiology practice. J Am Coll Radiol. 2007;4:514-5 pubmed
- Olivi P. A silver lining. Radiol Manage. 2005;27:10-1 pubmed
- Rybovic M, Banati R, Cox J. Radiation therapy treatment verification imaging in Australia and New Zealand. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2008;52:183-90 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, departments should strive to use evidence-based protocols and guidelines to ensure acceptable accuracy in treatment delivery. ..
- Gunderman R, Weinreb J, Hillman B, Van Moore A, Neiman H. Leadership in Radiology: the 2007 ACR Forum. J Am Coll Radiol. 2008;5:92-6 pubmed publisher..If we heed this message, we can develop the abilities of people who will provide effective leadership for radiology organizations and assume even wider leadership roles in medicine and health care. ..
- Linton O. Leo G. Rigler. J Am Coll Radiol. 2005;2:1040-1 pubmed
- von Boetticher H, Lachmund J, Hoffmann W. [How conservative is routine personal dosimetry monitoring in diagnostic radiology?]. Rofo. 2007;179:728-32 pubmed..Improved dose measurement protocols should avoid underestimation of the effective dose. The results presented herein provide an opportunity to derive more realistic effective dose values from personal dosimetry measurements. ..
- Monico E, Schwartz I. Communication and documentation of preliminary and final radiology reports. J Healthc Risk Manag. 2010;30:23-5 pubmed publisher..High-fidelity simulation may represent a risk management strategy aimed at bridging the gap between radiology and communication technology. ..
- Joffe S, Drew D, Bansal M, Hase M. Radiology operations: what you don't know could be costing you millions. Radiol Manage. 2007;29:20-4; quiz 26-8 pubmed..The study showed how modest investments in radiology operations can dramatically improve access to services and profitability. ..
- Jones S, Evans R, Allen T, Thomas A, Haug P, Welch S, et al. A multivariate time series approach to modeling and forecasting demand in the emergency department. J Biomed Inform. 2009;42:123-39 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that multivariate time series models can be used to reliably forecast ED patient census; however, forecasts of the demands for diagnostic resources were not sufficiently reliable to be useful in the clinical setting. ..
- McGurk S, Brauer K, Macfarlane T, Duncan K. The effect of voice recognition software on comparative error rates in radiology reports. Br J Radiol. 2008;81:767-70 pubmed publisher..Errors using VR are significantly more likely to occur in noisy areas with a high workload and are more likely to be made by radiologists for whom English is not their first language. ..
- Aloisio J. Maximizing patient safety utilizing effective patient identification and image labeling practices. Radiol Manage. 2008;30:54-9 pubmed..Developing a safety culture across the radiology department is a critical component of patient safety. Staff education and ongoing re-enforcement of safety principles are fundamental elements to a successful program. ..
- Andriole K, Prevedello L, Dufault A, Pezeshk P, Bransfield R, Hanson R, et al. Augmenting the impact of technology adoption with financial incentive to improve radiology report signature times. J Am Coll Radiol. 2010;7:198-204 pubmed publisher..The addition of a financial incentive leads to better performance than that achievable through technology alone. ..
- Manner P, Tege B, Fuchs E, Reicherzer H, Kurz M, Marienhagen J, et al. [Integration of PACS and HIS into the workflow of a nuclear medicine department. Experience in Regensburg]. Nuklearmedizin. 2006;45:139-43 pubmed..Patient and data management are considerably improved in this way. ..
- Pooley R, Felmlee J. MRI site planning adventures. J Am Coll Radiol. 2004;1:871-3 pubmed
- Bude R, Fatchett J, Lechtanski T. The use of additionally trained sonographers as ultrasound practitioners: our first-year experience. J Ultrasound Med. 2006;25:321-7; quiz 328-30 pubmed..The practitioners allowed the cases of 20 to 30 patients to be batch read by the existing radiologist staff at the end of the day. ..
- Burch H, Kitley C, Naeem M. Department of Homeland Security national planning scenarios: a spectrum of imaging findings to educate the radiologists. Emerg Radiol. 2010;17:275-84 pubmed publisher..This article describes some of these scenarios as well the response which will be expected of the radiology community in the event of such a disaster. ..
- Bikman J. Cardiovascular PACS: recent KLAS findings. Healthc Q. 2006;9:88-90, 92, 4 pubmed..The report focuses on several considerations, including: quantifiable benefits; functional strength of remote cardiac image management; and advice for choosing and implementing a CPACS system. ..
- Kruskal J, Siewert B, Anderson S, Eisenberg R, Sosna J. Managing an acute adverse event in a radiology department. Radiographics. 2008;28:1237-50 pubmed publisher..Subsequently, the focus should be on actively managing and improving error detection and reporting systems, as well as on seeking strategies for minimizing the occurrence of preventable errors. ..
- Donoso Bach L. [Professional roles in radiology departments]. Radiologia. 2007;49:375-6 pubmed
- Kramer S. Virtually a whole new dimension. By providing three-dimensional reconstruction for radiology practices, Mass General is taking its Tele3D business to the streets. Healthc Inform. 2007;24:18 pubmed
- Mulaik M. 2006 coding update--Part I. Radiol Manage. 2005;27:12, 14-5 pubmed
- Rao V, Levin D. Turf wars in radiology: what must academic radiology do?. J Am Coll Radiol. 2007;4:622-5 pubmed..The Society of Chairmen of Academic Radiology Departments needs to assume a leadership role in implementing these changes. ..
- Ah Tye G. Still alive at 55. Radiol Manage. 2006;28:64 pubmed
- Hammond I. Comment on article by Levin and Rao. J Am Coll Radiol. 2004;1:611 pubmed
- Boyd G. The JC. Radiol Manage. 2007;29:45-6 pubmed
- Desjardins B, Hamilton R. A practical approach for inexpensive searches of radiology report databases. Acad Radiol. 2007;14:749-56 pubmed..This method has potential to improve teaching, research, and administrative programs within radiology departments that cannot afford more expensive technology. ..
- Teichgraber U, de Bucourt M. [Quality management systems in radiology: implementation in hospital and radiology practice]. Rofo. 2010;182:986-92 pubmed publisher..Many of these quality management systems are used in the health care industry. Some of these systems and their form of application in radiology are introduced here. ..
- Lipcamon J, Rogge C. Computer assistance in the structured, behavioral based interview process. Radiol Manage. 2007;29:42-6 pubmed..Since the introduction of computer based assistance in the structured, behavioral interview process, Jennie Edmundson Memorial Hospital (JEMH) in Council Bluffs, Iowa has seen a reduction in turnover of 6.5%. ..
- Wesp W. Using STAT properly. Radiol Manage. 2006;28:26-30; quiz 31-3 pubmed..Another 2-week survey conducted in May 2005 showed that number of portable chest x-rays ordered as STAT declined further to 52%. ..
- Zav ialov M, Seriakov A, Ushakov I. [Organization of work in the radiotherapy department in Burdenko MMCH]. Voen Med Zh. 2005;326:15-22, 111 pubmed..And nowadays at the modern stage there exists a real perspective of future development of radiological treatment for servicemen and their families' members basing on the radiotherapy department in Burdenko MMCH. ..
- Lerner M. IT and me. Radiol Manage. 2008;30:32-3 pubmed
- Philipp D, Wright D, Killion J. Rural radiology services in Texas: an assessment in quality. Radiol Manage. 2006;28:22-34; quiz 35-7 pubmed..Patients seen at lower-volume rural facilities benefit from convenient scheduling and lower prices and are beginning to see faster reporting with the prevalence of teleradiology and voice recognition dictation. ..
- Yoder E. Are your vendors competent?. Radiol Manage. 2008;30:56-7 pubmed
- Choksi V, Marn C, Piotrowski M, Bell Y, Carlos R. Illustrating the root-cause-analysis process: creation of a safety net with a semiautomated process for the notification of critical findings in diagnostic imaging. J Am Coll Radiol. 2005;2:768-76 pubmed
- Edge R. Oh where, oh where can I find a mentor?. Radiol Manage. 2007;29:12-4 pubmed
- Suliman I, Abbas N, Habbani F. Entrance surface doses to patients undergoing selected diagnostic X-ray examinations in Sudan. Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2007;123:209-14 pubmed..The results are useful to national and professional organisations and can be used as a baseline upon which future dose measurements may be compared. ..
- Muttarak M, Pojchamarnwiputh S, Chaiwun B. Breast carcinomas: why are they missed?. Singapore Med J. 2006;47:851-7 pubmed..Several factors, including dense breast parenchyma obscuring a lesion, perception error, interpretation error, unusual lesion characteristics, and poor technique or positioning, are possible causes of missed breast cancers. ..
- Guillaume L, Joris T, Mandry D, Kammacher L, Claudon M. [Cost-effectiveness evaluation of a digital radiography system]. J Radiol. 2007;88:963-7 pubmed..DR is necessary for digital imaging departments to increase productivity, while providing added ergonomic comfort and flexibility. It is particularly well suited for pediatric imaging departments. ..
- Kumar S, Mankad K, Bhartia B. Awareness of making the best use of a Department of Clinical Radiology amongst physicians in Leeds Teaching Hospitals, UK. Br J Radiol. 2007;80:140 pubmed
- Tsapaki V, Tsalafoutas I, Chinofoti I, Karageorgi A, Carinou E, Kamenopoulou V, et al. Radiation doses to patients undergoing standard radiographic examinations: a comparison between two methods. Br J Radiol. 2007;80:107-12 pubmed
- Hammerstrom K, Aldrich J, Alves L, Ho A. Recognition and prevention of computed radiography image artifacts. J Digit Imaging. 2006;19:226-39 pubmed
- Prevedello L, Andriole K, Hanson R, Kelly P, Khorasani R. Business intelligence tools for radiology: creating a prototype model using open-source tools. J Digit Imaging. 2010;23:133-41 pubmed publisher..This paper describes the concepts used in Business Intelligence, their importance to modern Radiology, and the steps used in the creation of a prototype model of a data warehouse for BI using open-source tools. ..
- Lund L, Larsen U, Anderson E, Mikkelsen N, Holt G. The outcome of computed tomography in patients with acute renal colic from a low-volume hospital. Int Urol Nephrol. 2008;40:255-8 pubmed..In a low-volume hospital with fewer than 100 procedures a year, we found the UHCT method to be safe and reliable with a good interobserver agreement and Kappa value. ..
- Sung J, Sodickson A, Ledbetter S. Outside CT imaging among emergency department transfer patients. J Am Coll Radiol. 2009;6:626-32 pubmed publisher..Process improvement measures are suggested that might reduce the substantial rates of potentially avoidable reimaging. ..
- Christian E, Adamietz I, Willich N, Schäfer U, Micke O. Radiotherapy in oncological emergencies--final results of a patterns of care study in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Acta Oncol. 2008;47:81-9 pubmed..This study represents the largest database in literature on emergency RT. RT was shown to be fast, time sparing and a very effective treatment option for special oncological emergencies. ..
- Saket D. The provision of emergency radiology services and potential radiologist workforce crisis: is there a role for the emergency-dedicated radiologist?. Semin Ultrasound CT MR. 2007;28:81-4 pubmed..How our specialty decides ultimately to respond is critical, as it will have far-reaching implications, which will define the role and perceived value of the radiologist in all settings for years to come. ..
- West J. Vicarious liability. States differ in their treatment of agency. Estate of Carmine v. Sisters of Charity of Nazareth Health System, Inc., S. W. 3d, No. 2002-CA-001812-MR (Ct. App. Ky. Nov. 14, 2003); Roessler v. Novak, 858 S. E. 2d 1158 (Ct. App. Fla. J Healthc Risk Manag. 2004;24:32-3 pubmed