hospital psychiatric department
Summary: Hospital department responsible for the organization and administration of psychiatric services.
- Keizer I, Eytan A. Variations in smoking during hospitalization in psychiatric in-patient units and smoking prevalence in patients and health-care staff. Int J Soc Psychiatry. 2005;51:317-28 pubmed..3% of the staff. Smoking prevalence and daily tobacco consumption are very high in psychiatric patients. After hospitalization, light and moderate smokers increased whereas heavy smokers decreased smoking. ..
- Stewart D, Bowers L, Warburton F. Constant special observation and self-harm on acute psychiatric wards: a longitudinal analysis. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2009;31:523-30 pubmed publisher..The lack of association with self-harm suggests that the use of constant special observation could be reduced without compromising patient safety. ..
- Nagel T, Thompson C. Aboriginal mental health workers and the improving Indigenous mental health service delivery model in the 'Top End'. Australas Psychiatry. 2006;14:291-4 pubmed..The AIMHI consultation reveals broad support for employment of more Aboriginal mental health workers in the Top End. ..
- Brown M, Astman J. A novel partnership in psychiatric education. Acad Psychiatry. 2007;31:375-9 pubmed..The authors believe this partnership model is valuable and might be replicated in other settings where adult and/or child training programs can establish similar relationships with a school. ..
- Vaaler A, Morken G, Iversen V, Kondziella D, Linaker O. Acute Unstable Depressive Syndrome (AUDS) is associated more frequently with epilepsy than major depression. BMC Neurol. 2010;10:67 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the study of AUDS patients may offer a new approach to better understanding epilepsy and its association with depressive disorders. NCT00201474. ..
- Horsfall J, Cleary M, Hunt G. Acute inpatient units in a comprehensive (integrated) mental health system: a review of the literature. Issues Ment Health Nurs. 2010;31:273-8 pubmed publisher..Further research is required to define nursing clinical priorities and philosophies to ensure a recovery focus in which care is aligned with that of consumer expectations and is consistent with other service providers. ..
- Sloan E, Kirsh S. Characteristics of obstetrical inpatients referred to a consultation-liaison psychiatry service in a tertiary-level university hospital. Arch Womens Ment Health. 2008;11:327-33 pubmed publisher..Inpatient perinatal C-L psychiatric services require creative approaches to the accurate identification and treatment of women at risk for antenatal and postpartum mental illness due to psychiatric history and/or reproductive crises. ..
- Bowers L, Whittington R, Nolan P, Parkin D, Curtis S, Bhui K, et al. Relationship between service ecology, special observation and self-harm during acute in-patient care: City-128 study. Br J Psychiatry. 2008;193:395-401 pubmed publisher..Certain features of nursing deployment and activity may serve to protect patients. The efficacy of constant special observation remains open to question. ..
- Sorensen L, Nielsen B, Stage K, Brøsen K, Damkier P. Implementation of a rational pharmacotherapy intervention for inpatients at a psychiatric department. Nord J Psychiatry. 2008;62:242-9 pubmed publisher..The majority of patients admitted to the psychiatric hospital department for the first time had their medications changed according to the algorithms. ..
- Remschmidt H, Walter R, Theisen F, Ulbrich R, Martin M. [A university department as a psychiatric service centre for children and adolescents]. Z Kinder Jugendpsychiatr Psychother. 2006;34:407-16 pubmed..Several research initiatives in the field of social psychiatry have contributed to this amelioration and at the same time, to a successful integration of mental health care and research. ..
- Pollitt P, O Connor D. Are patients with severe depression traumatized by admission to an aged psychiatry ward?. Int Psychogeriatr. 2007;19:115-23 pubmed..The evidence from this study suggests that providing opportunities for patients with depression to spend time apart from disturbed and disruptive patients would be helpful in this regard. ..
- Marchetto M. Repetitive skin-cutting: parental bonding, personality and gender. Psychol Psychother. 2006;79:445-59 pubmed..Further, this study has identified that repetitive skin-cutting can arise independently of BPD and prior trauma. Clinical implications of these results and suggested directions for future research are discussed. ..
- Anbesse B, Hanlon C, Alem A, Packer S, Whitley R. Migration and mental health: a study of low-income Ethiopian women working in Middle Eastern countries. Int J Soc Psychiatry. 2009;55:557-68 pubmed publisher..Participants countered these risks by affirming their cultural identity and establishing socio-cultural supports. Mental health of migrant domestic workers may be jeopardized by stressors, leading to experience of social defeat. ..
- van Wijk C, Hondius A. [Seclusion: a medical and political problem]. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2009;153:A962 pubmed..A further reduction in the practice of seclusion requires a major cultural change in psychiatry, adjustment of the law, and the financing of high-care psychiatric wards which are better staffed with appropriately qualified personnel. ..
- Sørgaard K. Satisfaction and coercion among voluntary, persuaded/pressured and committed patients in acute psychiatric treatment. Scand J Caring Sci. 2007;21:214-9 pubmed..The key worker seems to have an important position with regard to committed and pressured patients. The data were limited to the patients' subjective reports. ..
- Schenkenberg T, Kochenour N, Botkin J. Ethical considerations in clinical care of the "VIP". J Clin Ethics. 2007;18:56-63 pubmed
- Cowman S. Commentary on Sun F-K, Long A, Boore J & Lee-Ing T (2006) Patients and nurses' perceptions of ward environmental factors and support systems in the care of suicidal patients. Journal of Clinical Nursing 15, 83-92. J Clin Nurs. 2007;16:805-6 pubmed
- Nielsen B, Sigsgaard A, Gregersen J, Meilvang B, Halldorsson L, Christensen A, et al. [The Alliance Programme: an integrated care pathway for patients with schizophrenia]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2008;170:3764-7 pubmed..ICP required considerable resource allocation, and the results of the effort were minimal. The ineffective initiatives were subsequently phased out. ..
- Christensen A, Nielsen B. [Shared care in treatment of severe mental disorders]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2008;170:3761-3 pubmed..The implementation of shared care for patient groups should comprise primary as well as secondary health care and include the hospital- as well as the out-patient sector. ..
- Fennig S, Fennig S. Can we treat morbid obese children in a behavioral inpatient program?. Pediatr Endocrinol Rev. 2006;3 Suppl 4:590-6 pubmed..Two patients representing the complexity of conducting the program are presented. ..
- Kalapos M. [Our social dilemma: prison or psychiatric hospital? Is the Penrose thesis valid for Hungary at the turn of the millennium?]. Orv Hetil. 2007;148:1895-8 pubmed..On the basis of data, it can be assumed that the members of pretty much the same population are confined to both systems. To get to the core of essential relationships of the phenomenon, a nationwide examination seems to be necessary. ..
- Sumanti M, Boone K, Savodnik I, Gorsuch R. Noncredible psychiatric and cognitive symptoms in a workers' compensation "stress" claim sample. Clin Neuropsychol. 2006;20:754-65 pubmed
- Hatch Maillette M, Scalora M, Bader S, Bornstein B. A gender-based incidence study of workplace violence in psychiatric and forensic settings. Violence Vict. 2007;22:449-62 pubmed..Findings are discussed within the context of staff training and organizational benefits. ..
- Lindstrom K, Smith T, Wells T, Wang L, Smith B, Reed R, et al. The mental health of U.S. military women in combat support occupations. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2006;15:162-72 pubmed..These results are reassuring but may be confounded by a healthy worker selection effect. Further studies are needed to assess how service in combat support occupations affects the long-term health of U.S. military women. ..
- Stierl S, Bauer M. [The reformation of psychiatry was only a modernization]. Psychiatr Prax. 2007;34:215-7 pubmed
- Gulec H, Sayar K, Yazici Güleç M. [The relationship between psychological factors and health care-seeking behavior in fibromyalgia patients]. Turk Psikiyatri Derg. 2007;18:22-30 pubmed..The rate of psychiatric and medical history is not related to the FMS syndrome. Expectations and a normalizing attribution style may contribute to help-seeking behavior for FMS. ..
- Tabassum K, Farooq S. Sociodemographic features, affective symptoms and family functioning in hospitalized patients with dissociative disorder (convulsion type). J Pak Med Assoc. 2007;57:23-6 pubmed..Association of depression with dissociative disorder was significant, however our study did not show any significant relation between this disorder and family functioning. ..
- Carr V, Lewin T, Sly K, Conrad A, Tirupati S, Cohen M, et al. Adverse incidents in acute psychiatric inpatient units: rates, correlates and pressures. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2008;42:267-82 pubmed publisher..But the latter approach may not be achievable under current circumstances with existing resources. ..
- Pantusa M, Olivito N, Scornaienchi C. [Involuntary admission to the psychiatric unit of Cosenza's Hospital: a retrospective study over the twenty-five year period, 1978-2003]. Epidemiol Psichiatr Soc. 2007;16:363-8 pubmed
- Hanrahan N, Aiken L, McClaine L, Hanlon A. Relationship between psychiatric nurse work environments and nurse burnout in acute care general hospitals. Issues Ment Health Nurs. 2010;31:198-207 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that adjustments in organizational management of inpatient psychiatric environments could have a positive effect on psychiatric nurses' capacity to sustain safe and effective patient care environments. ..
- Lizer M, Brackbill M. Medication history reconciliation by pharmacists in an inpatient behavioral health unit. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2007;64:1087-91 pubmed..Pharmacists' participation in obtaining patients' medication histories through chart review and patient interview increased the effectiveness of the medication reconciliation process in an inpatient BHU. ..
- Takeshima M, Kurata K. Late-life bipolar depression due to the soft form of bipolar disorder compared to unipolar depression: an inpatient chart review study. J Affect Disord. 2010;123:64-70 pubmed publisher..Some features of the depression suggest bipolarity. In particular, DMX was found to be an independent marker of bipolarity, which supports the mixed nature of this disorder across generations. ..
- Deraas T, Hansen V, Giaever A, Olstad R. Acute psychiatric admissions from an out-of-hours Casualty Clinic; how do referring doctors and admitting specialists agree?. BMC Health Serv Res. 2006;6:41 pubmed..The proportion of patients with substance abuse was significant. Alternative treatment strategies should be developed for non-psychotic patients in need of short-term stays. ..
- Kongsakon R, Udomsubpayakul U, Buranapichet U, Presertchai R. Clinical response of depressive patients in a Thai psychiatric care setting. J Med Assoc Thai. 2005;88:1110-4 pubmed..7% (95% CI = 58.18-77.23). Fifty percent of the patients had a HAM-D Thai score of < 7 at week 12. The treatment outcome in the Thai psychiatric setting described is comparable to that reported in other countries. ..
- Carius D, Steinberg H, Bauer M, Angermeyer M. [Department of Psychiatry, Centre for Psychiatry, Psychatrium--trends and changes in the names for mental health care institutions in Germany in the 20th century]. Psychiatr Prax. 2007;34:87-92 pubmed
- Lykouras L, Douzenis A. Do psychiatric departments in general hospitals have an impact on the physical health of mental patients?. Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2008;21:398-402 pubmed publisher..Sensitizing clinicians to the needs of psychiatric patients is a slow procedure. There is a great need for studies on specific interventions aimed at specific medical conditions that coexist more frequently with psychiatric disorders. ..
- Berg J. [When during the day are patients admitted to emergency psychiatric department?]. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2007;127:590-1 pubmed
- Schalast N, Redies M, Collins M, Stacey J, Howells K. EssenCES, a short questionnaire for assessing the social climate of forensic psychiatric wards. Crim Behav Ment Health. 2008;18:49-58 pubmed publisher..The climate questionnaire is an economic and valid instrument for assessing the ward atmosphere in forensic psychiatry. Findings from a pilot study in England give confidence to the structural validity of the English version too. ..
- Koch E, Hartkamp N, Siefen R, Schouler Ocak M. [German pilot study of psychiatric inpatients with histories of migration]. Nervenarzt. 2008;79:328-39 pubmed publisher..Roughly half of all migrants studied had German citizenship. Among the migrants of Turkish background, a high proportion was born in Germany. The number of asylum seekers and refugees was disproportionately high. ..
- Leue C, Driessen G, Strik J, Drukker M, Stockbrugger R, Kuijpers P, et al. Managing complex patients on a medical psychiatric unit: an observational study of university hospital costs associated with medical service use, length of stay, and psychiatric intervention. J Psychosom Res. 2010;68:295-302 pubmed publisher
- Beine K, Küthmann A, Engfer R. [On the future of day-care treatment of psychiatric diseases]. Psychiatr Prax. 2007;34:99-101 pubmed
- Lanza M, Rierdan J, Forester L, Zeiss R. Reducing violence against nurses: the violence prevention community meeting. Issues Ment Health Nurs. 2009;30:745-50 pubmed publisher..treatment and pre-treatment vs. post-treatment comparisons. For the day shift, when twice-weekly VPCM treatment took place, violent incidents decreased 89% from pre-treatment to treatment and 57% from pre-treatment to post-treatment. ..
- Pui yin Chung J, Shiu yin Chong C, Chung K, Lai wah Dunn E, Wai nang Tang O, Chan W. The incidence and characteristics of clozapine- induced fever in a local psychiatric unit in Hong Kong. Can J Psychiatry. 2008;53:857-62 pubmed..Slower rate of clozapine titration may be helpful in patients with underlying physical illness and concomitant valproate treatment. ..
- Richly P, Xamena P, Surur C, Espert J, Pavlovsky F. [Operative data of a psychiatric inpatient unit of general hospital during one year]. Vertex. 2006;17:182-7 pubmed..These data may be compared to other data produced in other psychiatric units of our city and shed light on the problems to follow the classical WHO advice to use general hospital facilities for psychiatric inpatients. ..
- Smith P, Berney T. Psychiatric inpatient units for children and adolescents with intellectual disability. J Intellect Disabil Res. 2006;50:608-14 pubmed..Inpatient facilities should be closely linked with community services; a point reinforced by the prolongation of admissions because a shortfall in community resources. ..
- Flanders S. Delusions incorporating cannabis use in dually diagnosed patients with a primary psychotic disorder. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2007;41:934-6 pubmed..To describe and discuss the implications for treatment of 3 cases of dually diagnosed patients with a primary psychotic disorder who have developed persisting, cannabis-oriented delusional systems...
- Shaltout T, Bener A, Al Abdullah M, Al Mujalli Z, Shaltout H. Acute and transient psychotic disorders in a rapidly developing country, State of Qatar. Medicina (Kaunas). 2007;43:575-9 pubmed..No cases were found in children aged less than 15 years. It is important to find ways to promote healthier lifestyles in this population in order to prevent the onset of psychotic disorders. ..
- Tulloch A, Fearon P, David A. The determinants and outcomes of long-stay psychiatric admissions: a case-control study. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2008;43:569-74 pubmed publisher..Further research should address how the combination of individual and socially-determined effects that we found operate together over the course of admission to generate long-stays. ..
- Davies J, Heyman B, Godin P, Shaw M, Reynolds L. The problems of offenders with mental disorders: a plurality of perspectives within a single mental health care organisation. Soc Sci Med. 2006;63:1097-108 pubmed..Reasons for restricted crossdisciplinary understanding, particularly the wide power/status differences between the medical and other professions, and between staff and patients, are discussed. ..
- Dean A, Duke S, Scott J, Bor W, George M, McDermott B. Physical aggression during admission to a child and adolescent inpatient unit: predictors and impact on clinical outcomes. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2008;42:536-43 pubmed publisher..Further research is necessary to clarify how aggressive children can receive the most benefit from inpatient admission while minimizing the risks to the patient and those around them. ..
- Hatta K, Usui C, Nakamura H, Kurosawa H, Arai H. Open wards versus locked wards of general hospitals in the treatment of psychiatric patients with medical comorbidities: a cross-sectional study in Tokyo. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2010;64:52-6 pubmed publisher..Locked wards may be necessary to treat severe psychiatric patients with severe medical comorbidities. ..