hospital pathology department
Summary: Hospital department which administers and provides pathology services.
- Bhootra B. Forensic pathology services and autopsy law of Qatar. J Clin Forensic Med. 2006;13:15-20 pubmed..8 of 2003) on the basis of tenets of Islam, incorporating modern trends and opinion. This deals with performance of hospital/clinical, forensic post-mortems and dissection of dead bodies for educational purposes. ..
- DeLellis R, Jackson C, McAllister M. Introduction. Pathology. Med Health R I. 2005;88:210-1 pubmed
- Bailey J, Jennings A, Parapia L. Change of pathology request forms can reduce unwanted requests and tests. J Clin Pathol. 2005;58:853-5 pubmed..The redesigning of pathology request cards can have a beneficial effect on test requesting. ..
- Fong T. Flunking out. Three quit in fallout at Maryland General Hospital. Mod Healthc. 2004;34:17 pubmed
- Trelstad R. Post mortems on post mortems. N J Med. 2003;100:29-31 pubmed
- Liapis A, Bakalianou K, Mpotsa E, Salakos N, Fotiou S, Kondi Paffiti A. Fallopian tube malignancies: A retrospective clinical pathological study of 17 cases. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2008;28:93-5 pubmed publisher..The PFTC should be considered in the differential diagnosis of any pelvic mass. The treatment was surgical followed by adjuvant chemotherapy...
- Cox B. N.Y. bill would put postanalytical onus on labs. CAP Today. 2005;19:38, 40 pubmed
- Tuthill M. Automating anatomic pathology. Implementing an AP solution that integrates with your hospital's LIS can improve workflow and productivity. Health Manag Technol. 2008;29:18, 20 pubmed
- Apple D, Werner L, Mamalis N, Olson R. The "demise" of diagnostic and research ocular pathology: temporary or forever?. Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc. 2003;101:127-37; discussion 137-9 pubmed..In general, full-time support for ocular pathologists will not be possible unless they seek extra support from the private sector, engage in a concurrent clinical practice, or are supported by an endowed chair (a wonderful alternative). ..
- Winter S, Cox G, Corbridge R, Chaplin A, Millard P, Shah K. Effects of clinical service reorganisation on cellular pathology workload. J Clin Pathol. 2004;57:22-6 pubmed..Given the workforce crisis and expanding clinical needs, realistic workload calculations should include measurement of complexity and not just volumes. ..
- Biedrzycki O, Varma M, Berney D. Variations in the processing of prostatic needle cores in the UK; what is safe?. J Clin Pathol. 2003;56:341-3 pubmed..In view of the increasing workload from these specimens, a consensus for their optimum processing is required. ..
- Godwin P, Cuthbert A, Choyce A. Reducing bruising after venepuncture. Qual Health Care. 1992;1:245-6 pubmed..01) in the second audit. Monitoring of standards and simple modification of technique resulted in significant reduction in incidence and severity of bruising, improving the quality of the venepuncture service. ..
- Arcus K, Kessel A. Are ethical principles relative to time and place? A Star Wars perspective on the Alder Hey affair. BMJ. 2002;325:1493-5 pubmed
- Boswell R, Tie A. All change for the New Zealand laboratories. N Z Med J. 2006;119:U2252 pubmed
- Jakic Razumovic J, Tomic S, Karaman I. Comparison of histopathologists' workloads in two pathology departments in Croatia. Croat Med J. 2001;42:188-92 pubmed..KU activity index is a very useful method for assessing average pathologists' workload. It may be also used in hospital administration for predicting changes in service and number of working pathologists. ..
- Mahr A, Saba M, Kambouchner M, Polivka M, Baudrimont M, Brocheriou I, et al. Temporal artery biopsy for diagnosing giant cell arteritis: the longer, the better?. Ann Rheum Dis. 2006;65:826-8 pubmed..5 cm long were 5.7 (95% confidence interval, 1.4 to 23.6) and 4.0 (0.97 to 16.5). A fixed TAB length of at least 0.5 cm could be sufficient to make a histological diagnosis of giant cell arteritis. ..
- Carr R, Sanders D, Stores O, Smew F, Parkes M, Ross Gilbertson V, et al. The Warwick system of prospective workload allocation in cellular pathology--an aid to subspecialisation: a comparison with the Royal College of Pathologists' system. J Clin Pathol. 2006;59:835-9 pubmed..Reporting times among pathologists were shown by time and motion studies to be more consistent with Warwick points per hour than with RCPath points per hour. ..
- Love K, Bobrow L. Reducing the workload of a histopathology department. Histopathology. 2004;45:415-6 pubmed
- Zheng J. [Promoting development of pathology department]. Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi. 2005;34:471-2 pubmed
- Haugen O. [Autopsies at Norwegian hospitals]. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2003;123:364; author reply 364-5 pubmed
- Dalla P, Chisté K, Guarrera M, Gardini G, Gelli M, Coccolini M, et al. [Benchmarking in pathological anatomy]. Pathologica. 2003;95:125-32 pubmed..Nevertheless from this study is possible also to make some considerations about medical and technical workload in different services with different habits. ..
- Georgiou A, Westbrook J, Braithwaite J, Iedema R. Multiple perspectives on the impact of electronic ordering on hospital organisational and communication processes. Health Inf Manag. 2006;34:130-5 pubmed publisher..This study revealed that the new electronic ordering system involved major alterations to the information management processes within the hospital, which in turn affected communication processes and work relations. ..
- Siriwardana P, de S Hewavisenthi S, Deen K. Histopathology reporting in colorectal cancer. Ceylon Med J. 2006;51:156-7 pubmed
- Georgiou A, Williamson M, Westbrook J, Ray S. The impact of computerised physician order entry systems on pathology services: a systematic review. Int J Med Inform. 2007;76:514-29 pubmed..Few data are available regarding the impact of CPOE on patient outcomes. ..
- Haun D, Leach A, Vivero R, Fraser S. Houston, we've had a problem: when do we override rules?. Jt Comm J Qual Improv. 2002;28:453-60, 417 pubmed..They then provide a framework for documenting, discussing, and teaching the importance of making exceptions and changing rules. ..
- Hynes W, MacMillan D. Establishing a compensation model in an academic pathology department. Am J Clin Pathol. 2005;124 Suppl:S8-15 pubmed..It also examines the impact that the salary model has had at MGH in the 4 years since it was rolled out. ..
- Janica J, Rydzewska Dudek M, Niemcunowicz Janica A, Dopierała T, Pepinski W, Skawrońska M, et al. [50th anniversary of the Department of Forensic Medicine, Medical University of Bialystok (1954-2004)]. Arch Med Sadowej Kryminol. 2004;54:195-200 pubmed..The paper illustrates the history, scientific and teaching achievements of the Department of Forensic Medicine, Medical University of Bialystok in commemoration of its 50th Anniversary. ..
- Maung R. What is the best indicator to determine anatomic pathology workload? Canadian experience. Am J Clin Pathol. 2005;123:45-55 pubmed
- Tahir Z, Yusuf N, Ashraf M, Yusuf A, Aziz F. Fine needle aspiration of unilocular ovarian cysts--a cytohistological correlation. J Pak Med Assoc. 2004;54:266-9 pubmed..Guided fine needle aspiration cytology may prove to be one of the most valuable and acceptable tools in the differential diagnosis of ovarian cystic lesions. ..
- Wilkinson D, Reynolds D. Using benchmarking to manage your laboratory. Clin Leadersh Manag Rev. 2003;17:5-8 pubmed..It literally saved the laboratory. The keys were clarification, consistency, and communication. ..
- Arotiba G, Ladeinde A, Oyeneyin J, Nwawolo C, Banjo A, Ajayi O. Malignant orofacial neoplasms in Lagos, Nigeria. East Afr Med J. 2006;83:62-8 pubmed..A relatively high proportion of patients with SCCA were below 40 years at presentation. They were predominantly males who presented with poorly differentiated tumours. ..
- Idogun E, Enosolease M. Pathology services delivery: policy analysis using a Nigerian tertiary institution as a prototype. Niger Postgrad Med J. 2006;13:301-4 pubmed..It will also establish a regular method of evaluating the services that are provided by the laboratory. ..
- Nelson A, Wilson M. Biothreat agents and pathology laboratories. Semin Diagn Pathol. 2007;24:209-16 pubmed
- Canas F, Guillou P, Lorin de la Grandmaison G, Diebold M, Patey M, Bureau Chalot F, et al. [Autopsy room and the July 30th 2004 memorandum]. Ann Pathol. 2005;25:221-9 pubmed..It includes the principle of precaution and requires a new approach to handling human corpses in the autopsy room. ..
- Albanell J, Andreu X, Calasanz M, Concha A, Corominas J, Garcia Caballero T, et al. Guidelines for HER2 testing in breast cancer: a national consensus of the Spanish Society of Pathology (SEAP) and the Spanish Society of Medical Oncology (SEOM). Clin Transl Oncol. 2009;11:363-75 pubmed
- Chatelain D, Charfi S, Cordonnier C, Leclercq F, Sevestre H. [Medical students and the teaching of pathology: results of a survey in the faculty of medicine of Amiens]. Ann Pathol. 2009;29:173-9 pubmed publisher..More lectures about pathology after the third year of the medical course, a better communication and the reception of more medical students in the departments of pathology could improve the situation. ..
- Denis B, Peters C, Chapelain C, Kleinclaus I, Fricker A, Wild R, et al. Diagnostic accuracy of community pathologists in the interpretation of colorectal polyps. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009;21:1153-60 pubmed publisher..They illustrate the need for a clarification of the nomenclature of serrated polyps. ..
- Lawoyin J. Paediatric oral surgical pathology service in an African population group: a 10 year review. Odontostomatol Trop. 2000;23:27-30 pubmed..6%, followed by inflammatory/reactive 27.6% and cystic lesions at 24.8%. A significant preference for male over female was noted and the mandible was also the site of preference for most of the lesions. ..
- Borkowski A, Lee D, Sydnor D, Johnson R, Rabinovitch A, Moore G. Intranet-based quality improvement documentation at the Veterans Affairs Maryland Health Care System. Mod Pathol. 2001;14:1-5 pubmed..Use of Web-based documents can improve the efficiency of the inspection process. ..
- Beattie G, McAdam T, Elliott S, Sloan J, Irwin S. Improvement in quality of colorectal cancer pathology reporting with a standardized proforma--a comparative study. Colorectal Dis. 2003;5:558-62 pubmed..The introduction of a standardized proforma for reporting CRC resection specimens improves the quality of histopathological reporting. This aids decision-making regarding adjuvant chemotherapy or radiotherapy and further surveillance. ..
- Steelman V. Creutzfeld-Jakob disease: recommendations for infection control. Am J Infect Control. 1994;22:312-8 pubmed..Therefore, specific preventive measures are necessary. Many questions remain regarding transmission and risk factors for Creutzfeld-Jakob syndrome, and the precautions presented here must be considered only preliminary. ..
- Georgiou A, Lang S, Alvaro F, Whittaker G, Westbrook J, Callen J. Pathology's front line - a comparison of the experiences of electronic ordering in the clinical chemistry and haematology departments. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2007;130:121-32 pubmed
- Nonomura A, Minato H, Koike M. [Postgraduate medical training in anatomical pathology in Japanese national universities]. Rinsho Byori. 2002;50:347-52 pubmed
- Schneider J. Telepathology at Tikur Anbessa Hospital: how telemedicine works. Ethiop Med J. 2005;43:51-3 pubmed
- Oppong C, Robertson N, Sherwood A, Brodribb J. The use of a proforma improves colorectal cancer pathology reporting. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2002;84:290; author reply 290 pubmed
- France N, Francis G, Lawrence S. The costs of New Zealand pathology. Health Policy. 2003;64:131-41 pubmed..The result for the New Zealand taxpayer is that costs are excessive, with millions of dollars passing to foreign-owned laboratories, which have incentives to take the tests, as well as the profits, offshore. ..
- Gul iants E, Zhamgotsev G. [Establishment of pathoanatomic service in Rostov-on-Don and North-Caucasus region]. Arkh Patol. 2003;65:45-8 pubmed
- Filatov V. [Pathoanatomical work in the medical support services of the Armed Forces]. Voen Med Zh. 2002;323:12-5 pubmed
- Moore A. Clinical management. Testing times. Health Serv J. 2005;115:26-8 pubmed
- Crossley J. ABMSPs in cervical cytology. Cytopathology. 2005;16:50-2 pubmed
- Salmon I, Nagy N, Noel J, Remmelink M. [The pathology department]. Rev Med Brux. 2002;23 Suppl 2:17-21 pubmed..The research subjects of the Laboratory of Pathology concern diagnostic and prognostic evaluation in colic cancers, sarcomas, brain tumors and HPV related tumors endometriosis. ..