hospital oncology service
Summary: The hospital department responsible for the administration and provision of diagnostic and therapeutic services for the cancer patient.
- Linderholm M, Höglund M, Stockelberg D. [Specialist associations' mission: equal and good cancer care for all]. Lakartidningen. 2008;105:306-7 pubmed
- Niscola P, Romani C, Cartoni C, Cupelli L, Piccioni D, Dentamaro T, et al. Epidemiology of pain in hospital haematological setting: an Italian survey. Leuk Res. 2008;32:197-8 pubmed
- Silver H, de Campos Graf Guimaraes C, Pedruzzi P, Badia M, Spuldaro de Carvalho A, Oliveira B, et al. Predictors of functional decline in locally advanced head and neck cancer patients from south Brazil. Head Neck. 2010;32:1217-25 pubmed publisher..Moreover, assessment of functional status is usually limited to chewing and swallowing. This study identified symptoms that require systematic intervention and randomized trials with functional independence as the outcome. ..
- Gammel J. Medical House Call Program: extending frail elderly medical care into the home. J Oncol Manag. 2005;14:39-46 pubmed..This article also discusses how the MHCP model, working with oncology physicians and programs, can have similar benefits and applications for the growing number of elderly cancer patients and their families or caregivers. ..
- Alacacioglu A, Yavuzsen T, Dirioz M, Oztop I, Yilmaz U. Burnout in nurses and physicians working at an oncology department. Psychooncology. 2009;18:543-8 pubmed publisher..Low level of PA was relatively high among Turkish physicians and nurses working in oncology department compared with previous studies. Younger and single physicians had higher burnout levels compared with older and married ones. ..
- Illman J. U.K.'s efforts to improve multidisciplinary care criticized. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2002;94:163-4 pubmed
- Nolan S, Gerber J, Zaoutis T, Prasad P, Rettig S, Gross K, et al. Outbreak of vancomycin-resistant enterococcus colonization among pediatric oncology patients. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2009;30:338-45 pubmed publisher..Adherence to infection control practices across the spectrum of care may limit the spread of resistant organisms. ..
- Spallina J. Strategic planning--building the foundation to formulate strategies. J Oncol Manag. 2004;13:10-1 pubmed
- Monterosso L, Dadd G, Ranson K, Toye C. Priorities for paediatric cancer nursing research in Western Australia: a Delphi study. Contemp Nurse. 2001;11:142-52 pubmed..The findings will provide a research agenda for cancer nursing at the study setting and may stimulate discussion and re-assessment of research priorities in other paediatric cancer settings. ..
- Sassi G, Striano B, Merlo U. A reporting system for the assessment of chemotherapy toxicity. J Oncol Pharm Pract. 2005;11:63-7 pubmed..Assessing chemotherapy toxicity is a good opportunity for pharmacists to take part in preventing toxicity and reducing patient's discomfort. ..
- Link L, Robbins L, Mancuso C, Charlson M. How do cancer patients choose their coping strategies? A qualitative study. Patient Educ Couns. 2005;58:96-103 pubmed
- Risberg T, Bremnes Y, Kolstad A, Holte H, Wist E, Mella O, et al. [Should complementary therapies be offered in hospitals?]. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2004;124:3078-80 pubmed..In general, this survey demonstrated a positive attitude towards integrated units offering complementary therapies, also among oncologists. However, major differences among professions were found. ..
- Coroi M, Roşca E, Mutiu G, Coroi T, Bonta M. Eyelid tumors: histopathological and clinical study performed in County Hospital of Oradea between 2000-2007. Rom J Morphol Embryol. 2010;51:111-5 pubmed..Early diagnosis of these lesions can determine a favorable prognosis, especially in cases of malignant tumors. ..
- Tattersall M, Dear R, Jansen J, Shepherd H, Devine R, Horvath L, et al. Second opinions in oncology: the experiences of patients attending the Sydney Cancer Centre. Med J Aust. 2009;191:209-12 pubmed..The most common reasons for seeking a second opinion were to obtain additional information or reassurance about recommended management. ..
- Moskovits K, Szucs M. [Minutes from the May 19th, 2006 meeting of the Oncology and Radiotherapy College. Location: National Institute of Oncology, Conference Hall. Present are 16 College members and invited guests]. Magy Onkol. 2006;50:265, 268-9, 271 pubmed
- Small M, Barrett A, Price G. The impact of computerized prescribing on error rate in a department of Oncology/Hematology. J Oncol Pharm Pract. 2008;14:181-7 pubmed publisher..Prescriber training may be important in further reducing errors. The implementation of all the existing functions of the electronic system should lead to further reduction in errors. ..
- Gourdji I, McVey L, Loiselle C. Patients' satisfaction and importance ratings of quality in an outpatient oncology center. J Nurs Care Qual. 2003;18:43-55 pubmed..Findings suggest that by identifying what is most important to patients, nurses can readily modify the care environment to enhance patient satisfaction and quality of care. ..
- Briusov P, Babskiĭ V. [The department of oncology of the State Institute of Advanced Training for Medical Doctors of RF MD is 10 years]. Voen Med Zh. 2005;326:88-91 pubmed
- Slaven M, Wylie N, Fitzgerald B, Henderson N, Taylor S. Who needs a palliative care consult?: the Hamilton Chart Audit tool. J Palliat Med. 2007;10:304-7 pubmed..We report on development of the tool and use of the tool for a retrospective audit of 222 patients who died at our institution. ..
- Tan L, Ahmad K, Kareem B, Harwant S. Pattern of primary musculoskeletal sarcomas referred to Institute of Radiotherapy and Oncology, Hospital Kuala Lumpur, 1995-1999. Med J Malaysia. 2001;56 Suppl C:52-6 pubmed..9% in the head and neck region; and 7.90 in the upper extremity. We found no apparent relationship between race and incidence osteosarcoma and Ewing's sarcoma, as was reported by previous workers. ..
- Matthews B, Baker F, Spillers R. Healthcare professionals' awareness of cancer support services. Cancer Pract. 2002;10:36-44 pubmed
- Pedro E, Funghetto S. [Care concepts of caregivers: a study with hospitalized children with cancer]. Rev Gaucha Enferm. 2005;26:210-9 pubmed..As to the theme category, Care Conception, caregivers regard care as Action, Tie, Presence, Feelings, and Promotion of personal and spiritual development. ..
- Uramoto H, Iwashige A, Kagami S, Narimatsu M, Yamazaki K, Kabashima M, et al. [Out-patient treatment for cancer patients at cancer chemotherapy centers in university hospitals]. J UOEH. 2005;27:359-65 pubmed..Not only different organ-specific chemotherapies but also summarizing the oncology team are necessary for performance of the mission. We describe in this review the characteristics of the cancer chemotherapy center. ..
- van der Haak M, Mludek V, Wolff A, Bulzebruck H, Oetzel D, Zierhut D, et al. Networking in shared care--first steps towards a shared electronic patient record for cancer patients. Methods Inf Med. 2002;41:419-25 pubmed..It provides them with more complete health information about the jointly treated patients. A cross-institutional EPR is, therefore, expected to improve the quality of patient care. ..
- Gupta D, Lis C, Birdsall T, Grutsch J. The use of dietary supplements in a community hospital comprehensive cancer center: implications for conventional cancer care. Support Care Cancer. 2005;13:912-9 pubmed..Given the prevalence rates of these agents, healthcare providers should systematically inquire about them, and consider the potential for drug-dietary supplement interactions in treatment planning. ..
- Balwierz W. [Characteristics of the Children Hematology and Oncology Clinic, Krakow, Poland]. Med Wieku Rozwoj. 2006;10:53-61 pubmed
- Fallon S, Smith J, Morgan S, Stoner M, Austin C. 'Pizza, patients and points of view': Involving young people in the design of a post registration module entitled the adolescent with cancer. Nurse Educ Pract. 2008;8:140-7 pubmed..This was not originally included in the module timetable but as a direct result of consulting with the young people changes were made to reflect their views. ..
- Butler W, Cunningham J, Bull D, Cupples T, Guerry P, Reynolds J, et al. Breast cancer care: changing community standards. J Healthc Qual. 2004;26:22-8 pubmed
- Delaney L, Chambers C, Roldan G, de Robles P, Cairncross G, Forsyth P, et al. A feasibility study to assess the integration of a pharmacist into neurooncology clinic. J Oncol Pharm Pract. 2009;15:79-85 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, a clinical pharmacist should become a permanent member of the outpatient NeuroOncology clinic. ..
- Bredart A, Dolbeault S, Savignoni A, Simard S, Gomme S, Asselain B, et al. Pilot evaluation of a French interdisciplinary supportive care department. Support Care Cancer. 2009;17:1507-16 pubmed publisher..These results need to be confirmed in a larger study. ..
- Dowsett M, Hanby A, Laing R, Walker R. HER2 testing in the UK: consensus from a national consultation. J Clin Pathol. 2007;60:685-9 pubmed..This study was successful in gauging national specialist opinion regarding the extent and quality assurance of HER2 testing in the UK. ..
- Greenberg D. The cancer floors. J Pastoral Care Counsel. 2006;60:153-5 pubmed
- Stevens B, Croxford R, McKeever P, Yamada J, Booth M, Daub S, et al. Hospital and home chemotherapy for children with leukemia: a randomized cross-over study. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2006;47:285-92 pubmed..Overall, young age adversely affected QOL, burden of care, and adverse events. These data provide important information to families and caregivers as they consider home or hospital-based therapy in childhood ALL. ..
- Spallina J. Identifying critical planning issues--an essential step in formulating strategies. J Oncol Manag. 2005;14:34 pubmed
- Ford Pitorak E, Beckham Armour M, Sivec H. Project safe conduct integrates palliative goals into comprehensive cancer care. J Palliat Med. 2003;6:645-55 pubmed
- Posteraro B, Bruno S, Boccia S, Ruggiero A, Sanguinetti M, Romano Spica V, et al. Candida parapsilosis bloodstream infection in pediatric oncology patients: results of an epidemiologic investigation. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2004;25:641-5 pubmed..parapsilosis strain that was transmitted (probably during CVC dressing changes) by nurses whose hands were colonized with it. The role of previous gastrointestinal colonization in the first case cannot be excluded. ..
- Kowalczyk J. [History of children oncology in Poland in years 1995-2006]. Med Wieku Rozwoj. 2006;10:29-33 pubmed
- Stajduhar K, Neithercut J, Chu E, Pham P, Rohde J, Sicotte A, et al. Thyroid cancer: patients' experiences of receiving iodine-131 therapy. Oncol Nurs Forum. 2000;27:1213-8 pubmed..If nurses are to provide comprehensive cancer care, both psychosocial and physical needs must be addressed and fulfilling these needs requires a collaborative approach among patients, nurses, and other healthcare professionals. ..
- Duncan L, Gray K, Lewis J, Bell J, Bigge J, McKinney J. Clinical integration of picture archiving and communication systems with pathology and hospital information system in oncology. Am Surg. 2010;76:982-6 pubmed..Multidisciplinary image storage in a PACS epitomizes the concept of clinical integration and its goal of improving patient care. ..
- Blough C, Walrath J. Improving patient safety and communication through care rounds in a pediatric oncology outpatient clinic. J Nurs Care Qual. 2007;22:159-63 pubmed..Care rounds have become the standard of practice in this clinic and are perceived to have improved communication and patient safety. ..
- Montecalvo M, Jarvis W, Uman J, Shay D, Petrullo C, Horowitz H, et al. Costs and savings associated with infection control measures that reduced transmission of vancomycin-resistant enterococci in an endemic setting. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2001;22:437-42 pubmed
- Tas F, Ustuner Z, Can G, Eralp Y, Camlica H, Basaran M, et al. The prevalence and determinants of the use of complementary and alternative medicine in adult Turkish cancer patients. Acta Oncol. 2005;44:161-7 pubmed..In multivariate analysis, female sex (p=0.0006), high income (p=0.0008), advanced stage at diagnosis (p=0.02), and usage of multiple chemotherapy applications (p=0.03) were determined as independent factors for CAM use. ..
- O Leary J, Williamson J. Meeting the challanges in today's outpatient oncology setting: a case study. J Oncol Manag. 2003;12:24-6 pubmed
- Blot E, Escande M, Besson D, Barbut F, Granpeix C, Asselain B, et al. Outbreak of Clostridium difficile-related diarrhoea in an adult oncology unit: risk factors and microbiological characteristics. J Hosp Infect. 2003;53:187-92 pubmed..Serotyping and genotyping showed that several strains were involved in this outbreak, with only two instances of patient-to-patient transmission, involving four and two patients. ..
- Karstoft J, Rasmussen F, Thomsen H. [Cancer scanners should go to cancer patients]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2004;166:4625 pubmed
- Bouchard F, Landry M, Belles Isles M, Gagnon J. A magical dream: a pilot project in animal-assisted therapy in pediatric oncology. Can Oncol Nurs J. 2004;14:14-7 pubmed
- Walusiak J, Wagrowska Koski E, Pałczyński C. [Health effects of occupational exposure to cytostatics in medicinal personnel in the light of compulsory prophylactics: a cross-sectional study]. Med Pr. 2003;54:229-36 pubmed..Because of an increased frequency of congenital effects, women who plan conception should not be exposed to cytostatics or at least this group of women should use any possible individual protectors at work. ..
- Ferri Dessens R, Thomas P, Barlesi F, Raholimina V, Kleisbauer J. [Hospitalization facilities required for quality care of lung cancer patients]. Rev Mal Respir. 2001;18:35-9 pubmed..Diagnosis, initial treatment, management of treatment complications and supportive care are not compatible with weekly hospitalization. Full hospitalization is mandatory for good-quality care in a referral cancer unit. ..
- Penson R, Fergus L, Haston R, Clark J, Demotses A, O Connell J, et al. The Kenneth B. Schwartz Center at Massachusetts General Hospital hematology-oncology department: hope for the homeless. Oncologist. 2003;8:488-95 pubmed..The team developed a strong commitment to his care and an affectionate bond, which very positively affected all of those involved. We discuss issues of access to cancer care, and the special problems presented by homeless patients. ..
- Faber M, Pedersen C, Grønvold M. [Personal health contact systems for cancer patients in Danish hospital wards]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2009;171:3363-7 pubmed..Although most hospital wards have introduced personal health contact systems, their actual impact has been limited. ..
- Giarelli E. A concept model for individual surveillance in genetic cancer care. J Cancer Educ. 2002;17:78-82 pubmed..The model can be used, by a clinician and a patient, to describe and understand the meaning of individual surveillance for participants in a systematic, holistic, and highly personal way. ..
- Moschovi M, Theodoridou M, Papaevangelou V, Youroukos S, Nitsa A, Matsiota P, et al. Outbreak of enteroviral infection in a pediatric hematology-oncology unit. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;34:1269-72 pubmed..Three patients presented with encephalitis and 2 with parotitis. Three of the 5 patients recovered uneventfully and 2 died, 1 of chronic encephalitis and 1 of acute brain stem encephalitis. ..