centralized hospital services
Summary: The coordination of services in one area of a facility to improve efficiency.
- Hoffmann J. Analysis of surgical and diagnostic quality at a specialist breast unit. Breast. 2006;15:490-7 pubmed..8%, severe wound infection from 4.7% to 1.1% and severe skin necrosis from 3.7% to 0.2%. It is concluded that centralization of surgical and diagnostic expertise at a high volume institution contributes positively to the quality of care. ..
- Andersen K, Peitersen B, Petersen S, Høst A. [Paediatrics. Centralisation of treatment]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2006;168:1541-3 pubmed
- Lemmens V, Bosscha K, Van der Schelling G, Brenninkmeijer S, Coebergh J, de Hingh I. Improving outcome for patients with pancreatic cancer through centralization. Br J Surg. 2011;98:1455-62 pubmed publisher..High-quality care can be achieved in regional hospitals through collaboration. Centralization should no longer be regarded as a threat by general hospitals but as a chance to improve outcomes in pancreatic cancer. ..
- Wilson L. New benchmarks and design criteria for laboratory consolidations. Clin Leadersh Manag Rev. 2003;17:90-8 pubmed..We will discuss the new design criteria and benchmarks that must be established to create a functional, operationally efficient, and profitable laboratory consolidation. ..
- Hanada E, Antoku Y, Matsumura K, Makie T, Harada M, Takano K, et al. Merits of duplicate LAN cabling in hospitals. J Med Syst. 2001;25:367-71 pubmed..Herein, we show the merits of separate cable installation. ..
- Rando K, Harguindeguy M, Leites A, Ettlin A, Gonzalez S, Scalone P, et al. [Quality standards in liver surgery: influence of multidisciplinary team work and patient centralization]. Acta Gastroenterol Latinoam. 2010;40:10-21 pubmed..Our multidisciplinary approach and teamwork may have positively influenced quality standards in liver surgery by diminishing transfusions of blood products and utilization of ICU resources. ..
- van Bochove A. [Centralising cancer treatment: there are better ways]. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2011;155:A3854 pubmed..Comorbidity is another reason to provide care at a general hospital in close cooperation with general practitioners. Strong ties with a university clinic is an important requirement for such a network to work well. ..
- Douw K, Nielsen C, Pedersen C. Centralising acute stroke care and moving care to the community in a Danish health region: Challenges in implementing a stroke care reform. Health Policy. 2015;119:1005-10 pubmed publisher..It is likely that greater involvement of municipalities in the design phase and better representation of health care professionals in all phases would have led to more successful implementation of the reform. ..
- Marx C, Møller C, Bendixen A, Kehlet H, Ottesen B. [Ovarian cancer in Denmark. Status of the surgical intervention]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2006;168:1537-40 pubmed..There seems to be room for improvement of quality, and a plan for the next five years is presented. ..
- Højgaard L. [The importance of centralized treatment: research and development]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2006;168:1517-9 pubmed
- Murray W. Blending leadership models. A Kansas-based system has both centralized and decentralized dimensions. Health Prog. 2006;87:64-7 pubmed
- Elsayed S, Gregson D, Church D. Comparison of direct selective versus nonselective agar media plus LIM broth enrichment for determination of group B streptococcus colonization status in pregnant women. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2003;127:718-20 pubmed..001). Use of direct selective agar media, in addition to LIM broth enrichment, for the determination of the GBS colonization status in pregnant patients near term results in decreased turnaround time for reporting positive results. ..
- Dubbs N, Bazzoli G, Shortell S, Kralovec P. Reexamining organizational configurations: an update, validation, and expansion of the taxonomy of health networks and systems. Health Serv Res. 2004;39:207-20 pubmed..S. health care industry and the consequent shifting of organizational configurations in this arena. There is also value in continuing to move the taxonomy in the direction of refinement/expansion as new opportunities become available. ..
- Audebert H, Wimmer M, Schenkel J, Ulm K, Kolominsky Rabas P, Bogdahn U, et al. [Telemedicine stroke department network. Introduction of a telemedicine pilot project for integrated stroke management in South Bavaria and analysis of its efficiency]. Nervenarzt. 2004;75:161-5 pubmed..Data acquisition started in July 2003, and final results are expected in 2005. ..
- Smedh K. [Centralize colon cancer surgery! Better results and research possibilities in a specialized unit]. Lakartidningen. 2004;101:1160 pubmed
- Justi C. Take a load off. Mater Manag Health Care. 2008;17:32-5 pubmed
- Bristow R, Santillan A, Diaz Montes T, Gardner G, Giuntoli R, Meisner B, et al. Centralization of care for patients with advanced-stage ovarian cancer: a cost-effectiveness analysis. Cancer. 2007;109:1513-22 pubmed..Increased efforts to align current patterns of care with a universal strategy of centralized expert referral are warranted. ..
- Kehlet H, Højgaard L. [The bed-less hospital--a realistic possibility?]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2004;166:4706-7 pubmed
- Cobbold A. Evaluative survey-questionnaire exploring the perceptions and experiences of endoscopy and sterile service staff. J Perioper Pract. 2013;23:277-81 pubmed..This article concludes by highlighting the positive and negative aspects of current job roles in relation to job satisfaction, staff retention and career progression opportunities. ..
- Sturm A. A key strategy to revenue growth: the right marketing infrastructure. Healthc Financ Manage. 2005;59:114-6 pubmed
- Versel N. Technology. IT comes together. Hosp Health Netw. 2004;78:18, 20 pubmed..After years of decentralizing IT systems, large health networks are bringing back-office functions under one roof hoping for economies of scale. ..
- Forthmann J. [Efficiency program: hospitals organize central nursing units]. Kinderkrankenschwester. 2006;25:203 pubmed
- Arsov C, Albers P. [Prostate cancer centres / prostate centres--certified by DKG or DVPZ]. Aktuelle Urol. 2009;40:87-90 pubmed publisher..Among German urologists there is a controversial discussion concerning this process. The present paper gives a review of the two models and discusses the chances as well as the risks which come along with certified centres. ..
- Monkhouse S, Torres Grau J, Bawden D, Ross C, Krysztopik R. Centralisation of upper-GI cancer services: is the hub quicker than the spoke?. Surg Endosc. 2013;27:565-8 pubmed publisher..Patients at the spoke hospital have a longer lead time into the MDM but nonoperative treatment appears to be delivered more quickly locally. ..
- Sheriff R, Banks A. Integrating centralized and decentralized organization structures: an education and development model. J Nurses Staff Dev. 2001;17:71-5; quiz 76-7 pubmed..This particular model maximizes the benefits and minimizes the limitations of centralized and decentralized structures. ..
- Birnbaum C. One-stop shop. An HIM department's journey to centralize core data services. J AHIMA. 2007;78:40-2, 44, 46 pubmed
- Scott R, Williams M, Lawson A, Austin A, Freeman J. Service provision for liver disease in the UK: a national questionnaire-based survey. Clin Med (Lond). 2012;12:114-8 pubmed..Wide variation in the clinical management of serious liver diseases supports the need for managed clinical networks. These results will help to guide the development of standards of care for liver services across the UK. ..
- Ochiai R, Murakami A, Toyoda T, Kazuma K, Niwa K. Opinions of physicians regarding problems and tasks involved in the medical care system for patients with adult congenital heart disease in Japan. Congenit Heart Dis. 2011;6:359-65 pubmed publisher..Regional ACHD centers need to be established to promote centralization of patients, physicians, and educational function. This will provide higher quality medical service to more patients in the near future. ..
- Buchanan B. Behind the call center. Maximizing hospital call centers is not just a matter of goals, relationships and human interaction, it's about more efficient IT. Healthc Inform. 2007;24:55-6 pubmed
- Andersson B, Andersson R. [Current therapeutic principles in pancreatic pseudocysts. Ultrasound and computer tomography have revolutionized the management]. Lakartidningen. 2006;103:456-9 pubmed
- Bertelsen K, Jakobsen A, Herrstedt J, Petersen L, Hølund B, Hansen E, et al. [Treatment of cervix cancer with radical hysterectomy is a task for district departments]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2006;168:600; author reply 600-1 pubmed
- Wong K, Kwan A. A procedure for rapid issue of red cells for emergency use. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2006;130:145; author reply 145-6 pubmed
- Bonnabry P, Cingria L, Ackermann M, Sadeghipour F, Bigler L, Mach N. Use of a prospective risk analysis method to improve the safety of the cancer chemotherapy process. Int J Qual Health Care. 2006;18:9-16 pubmed..A cost-effect analysis confirmed the pertinence of all developments, as the cost per gained criticality point remained stable all over the different phases. ..
- Yin J, Lurås H, Hagen T, Dahl F. The effect of activity-based financing on hospital length of stay for elderly patients suffering from heart diseases in Norway. BMC Health Serv Res. 2013;13:172 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that hospitals still need to discuss guidelines for reducing hospitalisation costs and for increasing hospital activity in terms of number of patients and efficiency. ..
- Silberbauer C, Rittmannsberger H. [Consequences of decentralization on the basis of a psychiatric department in the upper austrian salzkammergut]. Psychiatr Prax. 2002;29:424-30 pubmed..Treating more patients with depressive and neurotic disorders the staff of the psychiatric ward was confronted to apply more psychotherapeutic interventions to meet the patient's neurotic and suicidal behaviour. ..
- Thompson M, Holt P, Loftus I, Forbes T. Debate: whether abdominal aortic aneurysm surgery should be centralized at higher-volume centers. J Vasc Surg. 2011;54:1208-14 pubmed publisher..The following discussion presents the advantages and disadvantages of the practical use of such information. ..
- Doesburg F, Cnossen F, Dieperink W, Bult W, de Smet A, Touw D, et al. Improved usability of a multi-infusion setup using a centralized control interface: A task-based usability test. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183104 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the new user interface has an overall better usability than the conventional interface. ..
- Nasirpour A, Gohari M, Moradi S. The relationship of centralization, organizational culture and performance indexes in teaching hospitals affiliated to Tehran University of Medical Sciences. Acta Med Iran. 2010;48:326-31 pubmed..Further research regarding structure is suggested in the future. ..
- Ramos Linares S, Merino Alonso J, Román González N, Tévar Alfonso E, Díaz Ruiz P, Gorchs Molist M. Reusing cytostatics in a centralised pharmacy preparation unit. Farm Hosp. 2011;35:70-4 pubmed publisher..Favouring reporting on and identifying expensive treatments with little stability and using returned preparations as a quality indicator for Oncology has improved management of the central cystostatic preparation unit. ..
- Laurberg S, Rosenberg J. [Educational crisis within gastrointestinal surgery. The solution is not only longer working hours, but also reduced number of younger surgeons-trainees. The condition is centralized emergency surgery]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2004;166:3381 pubmed
- Lee S, Alexander J, Wang V, Margolin F, Combes J. An empirical taxonomy of hospital governing board roles. Health Serv Res. 2008;43:1223-43 pubmed publisher..The taxonomy may also facilitate valid and systematic assessment of governance performance. Further, the taxonomy could be used as a framework for governing boards themselves to identify areas for improvement and direction for change. ..
- Baptiste S. Clinical programme management: a model of promise?. Can J Occup Ther. 1993;60:200-5 pubmed
- Berggren H, Olin C. [Swedish surgery of congenital heart defects. From bold pioneering interventions to world-class surgical results]. Lakartidningen. 2005;102:2309-14 pubmed
- Gantt D. The importance of using PPE in decontamination. Mater Manag Health Care. 2005;14:38 pubmed
- Palazzolo J, Saqer H, Meisinger K, Cummings J, Riner R. Choosing the right cardiovascular delivery model for your hospital: "for all of the right reasons". J Invasive Cardiol. 2004;16:207-12 pubmed
- Greiner A, Mess W, Schmidli J, Debus E, Grommes J, Dick F, et al. Cyber medicine enables remote neuromonitoring during aortic surgery. J Vasc Surg. 2012;55:1227-32; discussion 1232-3 pubmed publisher..The value of monitoring MEPs was confirmed in different aortic centers, resulting in adequate neurologic outcome after extensive aortic surgical procedures. ..
- Lind N. Central service in the regulatory spotlight. Interview by Alan Joch. Mater Manag Health Care. 2007;16:15-7 pubmed
- Chan D, Reid T, White C, Willicombe A, Blackshaw G, Clark G, et al. Influence of a regional centralised upper gastrointestinal cancer service model on patient safety, quality of care and survival. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2013;25:719-25 pubmed publisher..270, P < 0.0001) were independently associated with survival. These outcomes confirm the patient safety, quality of care and survival improvements achievable by compliance with National Health Service Improving Outcomes Guidance. ..
- Erdmann E, de Vivie E. [Responsibility in critical care medicine]. Med Klin (Munich). 2005;100:128-30 pubmed