Summary: Organizational development including enhancement of management structures, processes and procedures, within organizations and among different organizations and sectors to meet present and future needs.
- . Evaluation of meningitis surveillance before introduction of serogroup a meningococcal conjugate vaccine - Burkina Faso and Mali. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012;61:1025-8 pubmed..These findings underscore the need to evaluate surveillance before vaccine introduction so that activities to strengthen surveillance are tailored to a country's needs and capacities. ..
- Sewankambo N, Tumwine J, Tomson G, Obua C, Bwanga F, Waiswa P, et al. Enabling dynamic partnerships through joint degrees between low- and high-income countries for capacity development in global health research: experience from the Karolinska Institutet/Makerere University partnership. PLoS Med. 2015;12:e1001784 pubmed publisher
- Clark H, RAMIREZ A, Drake K, Beaudoin C, Garney W, Wendel M, et al. Utilization of an interorganizational network analysis to evaluate the development of community capacity among a community-academic partnership. Prog Community Health Partnersh. 2014;8:41-51 pubmed publisher..This article describes changes in relationships as a result of capacity building efforts in a community-academic partnership...
- Newman Owiredu M, Bellare N, Chakanyuka Musanhu C, Oyelade T, Thom E, Bigirimana F, et al. Building Health System Capacity Through Implementation Research: Experience of INSPIRE-A Multi-country PMTCT Implementation Research Project. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2017;75 Suppl 2:S240-S247 pubmed publisher..We used a mixed methods approach to review capacity building activities, as experienced by health care workers, researchers, and trainers conducted in the 6 INSPIRE ..
- Fleck F. Research partnerships to solve health problems. Bull World Health Organ. 2016;94:8-9 pubmed publisher..The research landscape in sub-Saharan Africa has transformed over the last two decades. Charles Mgone talks to Fiona Fleck about building partnerships. ..
- Ngidi W, Naidoo J, Ncama B, Luvuno Z, Mashamba Thompson T. Mapping evidence of interventions and strategies to bridge the gap in the implementation of the prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV programme policy in sub-Saharan countries: A scoping review. Afr J Prim Health Care Fam Med. 2017;9:e1-e10 pubmed publisher..performance); (2) health service delivery (task shifting, networking, shared platform for learning, local capacity building, supportive supervision); as well as (3) community-level strategies (community health workers, technology ..
- Bello A, Levin A, Tonelli M, Okpechi I, Feehally J, Harris D, et al. Assessment of Global Kidney Health Care Status. JAMA. 2017;317:1864-1881 pubmed publisher..Assuming the responses accurately reflect the status of kidney care in the respondent countries, the findings may be useful to inform efforts to improve the quality of kidney care worldwide. ..
- . Learning to heal minds in the eastern Mediterranean. Bull World Health Organ. 2016;94:714-715 pubmed..Training health workers and other professionals to provide mental health care builds local capacity to respond to these needs in the eastern Mediterranean. Dale Gavlak reports. ..
- Wenke R, Mickan S, Bisset L. A cross sectional observational study of research activity of allied health teams: is there a link with self-reported success, motivators and barriers to undertaking research?. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:114 pubmed publisherTeam-based approaches to research capacity building (RCB) may be an efficient means to promote allied health research participation and activity...
- Bergeron K, Abdi S, DeCorby K, Mensah G, Rempel B, Manson H. Theories, models and frameworks used in capacity building interventions relevant to public health: a systematic review. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:914 pubmed publisherThere is limited research on capacity building interventions that include theoretical foundations...
- Malkin R, Keane A. Evidence-based approach to the maintenance of laboratory and medical equipment in resource-poor settings. Med Biol Eng Comput. 2010;48:721-6 pubmed publisher..b>Capacity building in resource-poor settings should first focus on a limited set of knowledge; a body of knowledge that we call ..
- Michelo C, Zulu J, Simuyemba M, Andrews B, Katubulushi M, CHI B, et al. Strengthening and expanding the capacity of health worker education in Zambia. Pan Afr Med J. 2017;27:92 pubmed publisher..Expansion and improvement in training processes for health care workers requires targeted investment within medical institutions and strengthening local and international partnerships. ..
- Uneke C, Sombie I, Keita N, Lokossou V, Johnson E, Ongolo Zogo P. An assessment of policymakers' engagement initiatives to promote evidence informed health policy making in Nigeria. Pan Afr Med J. 2017;27:57 pubmed publisher..Capacity strengthening engagement mechanism is needed for both researchers to generate better evidence and for policymakers and health-care professionals to better use available evidence. ..
- Green W, Farquhar C, Mashalla Y. The Afya Bora Fellowship: An Innovative Program Focused on Creating an Interprofessional Network of Leaders in Global Health. Acad Med. 2017;92:1269-1273 pubmed publisher..The Consortium expanded from its initial network of five countries to six and continues to seek opportunities for geographical and institutional expansion. ..
- West F, Dawson A, Homer C. Building midwifery educator capacity using international partnerships: Findings from a qualitative study. Nurse Educ Pract. 2017;25:66-73 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to determine how one capacity building approach in Papua New Guinea (PNG) used international partnerships to improve teaching and learning...
- Judson K, Courtright P, Ravilla T, Khanna R, Bassett K. Impact of systematic capacity building on cataract surgical service development in 25 hospitals. BMC Ophthalmol. 2017;17:96 pubmed publisherThis study measured the effectiveness and cost of a capacity building intervention in 25 eye hospitals in South Asia, East Africa and Latin America over 4 years...
- Gagliardi A, Webster F, Perrier L, Bell M, Straus S. Exploring mentorship as a strategy to build capacity for knowledge translation research and practice: a scoping systematic review. Implement Sci. 2014;9:122 pubmed publisher..The conceptual framework could be used to develop or evaluate KT mentoring programs. ..
- Jacobs J, Duggan K, Erwin P, Smith C, Borawski E, Compton J, et al. Capacity building for evidence-based decision making in local health departments: scaling up an effective training approach. Implement Sci. 2014;9:124 pubmed publisher..This approach allowed for local tailoring of strategies and extended the reach of the EBPH course. ..
- Panda B, Zodpey S, Thakur H. Local self governance in health - a study of it's functioning in Odisha, India. BMC Health Serv Res. 2016;16:554 pubmed publisher..A locally-monitored and time-bound capacity building plan could achieve this. Yearly resource allocation for drug procurement needs revision...
- Baltazar C, Taibo C, Sacarlal J, Gujral L, Salomão C, Doyle T. Mozambique field epidemiology and laboratory training program: a pathway for strengthening human resources in applied epidemiology. Pan Afr Med J. 2017;27:233 pubmed publisher..New challenges have emerged, causing a need to expand the preparation and response to emerging disease threats and public health emergencies...
- Jamieson L, Paradies Y, Eades S, Chong A, Maple Brown L, Morris P, et al. Ten principles relevant to health research among Indigenous Australian populations. Med J Aust. 2012;197:16-8 pubmed
- Diop O, Kew O, de Gourville E, Pallansch M. The Global Polio Laboratory Network as a Platform for the Viral Vaccine-Preventable and Emerging Diseases Laboratory Networks. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S299-S307 pubmed publisher..Leveraging lessons learned during past 27 years, the authors discuss options for transitioning GPLN assets to support control of other viral vaccine-preventable, emerging, and reemerging diseases. ..
- Smith W. Sustaining anti-leprosy activities requires radical changes. Lepr Rev. 2010;81:281-3 pubmed