Summary: Facilities in which WARFARE or political prisoners are confined.
- Irányi B. [Medical observations in the Gulag (1945-55)]. Orv Hetil. 2003;144:77-9 pubmed
- Füsser U. [Sister Angela Maria Autsch: saint in the hell of the concentration camp]. Pflege Z. 2004;57:355-6 pubmed
- Shmotkin D, Lomranz J. Subjective well-being among Holocaust survivors: an examination of overlooked differentiations. J Pers Soc Psychol. 1998;75:141-55 pubmed..The study suggests that long-term effects of the Holocaust on the survivors' SWB are traceable but require a differential approach to the study groups and to the facets of SWB. ..
- Favaro A, Tenconi E, Colombo G, Santonastaso P. Full and partial post-traumatic stress disorder among World War II prisoners of war. Psychopathology. 2006;39:187-91 pubmed..No differences were found with regards to dissociative symptoms and help-seeking. The problem of definition of PTSD partial syndromes deserves more attention in the literature. ..
- Newman J. Personal history: love, death, and the brainstem. Neurology. 2005;65:1337-8 pubmed
- Jackowska E. [Psychological consequences of deportation into the Soviet Union on the base of self-reports by Sybiracs]. Psychiatr Pol. 2005;39:89-102 pubmed..It also modified the manner in which the marital and parental roles were fulfilled. The rate of anxiety and depressive symptoms was significantly higher in women in comparison with men. ..
- Hasian M. The deployment of ethnographic sciences and psychological warfare during the suppression of the Mau Mau rebellion. J Med Humanit. 2013;34:329-45 pubmed publisher..Kenyan settlers, administrators, novelists, filmmakers and journalists have helped circulate the commentaries on the "Mau Mau" mind that continue to influence contemporary debates about past injustices. ..
- Thomann K, Rauschmann M. ["Post-traumatic stress disorder"--historical aspects of a "modern" psychiatric illness in the German language areas]. Medizinhist J. 2003;38:103-38 pubmed..The analysis suggests that the different psychological reactions do not describe an identical disorder. It seems that reactions to injuries are mainly influenced by the historical and social background. ..
- Ofri D. Tools of the trade. N Engl J Med. 2003;349:1693-4 pubmed
- Shasha S. [Morbidity in the concentration camps of the Third Reich]. Harefuah. 2004;143:272-6, 318 pubmedLife in the concentration camps of the Third Reich was like living on another planet. The prisoners, stripped of all rights, experienced constant humiliation, uncertain survival and endless terror...
- Skaiå A. [The importance of meaning]. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2003;123:1877-9 pubmed
- Benedict S. The nadir of nursing: nurse-perpetrators of the Ravensbrück concentration camp. Nurs Hist Rev. 2003;11:129-46 pubmed
- Sabbatani S. [The infectious diseases experiments conducted on human guinea pigs by Nazis in concentration camps]. Infez Med. 2013;21:151-66 pubmed..web documents, with regard to scientifically documented experiments carried out by Nazi physicians in their concentration camps during World War II...
- Hedfors E. Medical science in the light of the Holocaust: Departing from a post-war paper by Ludwik Fleck. Soc Stud Sci. 2008;38:259-83 pubmed
- Galende A. [Neuroscientists in the Third Reich]. Neurologia. 2008;23:126-35 pubmed..the experience acquired in these projects, some were chosen as personnel in charge of extermination in the concentration camps. Eminent neurologists such as Hallervorden, Spatz and Schaltenbrand took advantage of the scientific ..
- Weiss S. "Essay Review: Racial Science and Genetics at the Kaiser Wilhelm Society". J Hist Biol. 2005;38:367-79 pubmed
- Haushofer L. The "contaminating agent" UNRRA, displaced persons, and venereal disease in Germany, 1945-1947. Am J Public Health. 2010;100:993-1003 pubmed publisher..The controversy resulting from this campaign opens a new window on the complex context of an international organization working under the roof of a national authority to achieve common-or differing-public health goals. ..
- Stroeken H. [Karl Landauer's fate after the German occupation of the Netherlands]. Luzif Amor. 2012;25:132-43 pubmed
- Tatar I. [From Banhida to Kiev: memories of a former labor camp inmate of his time in a Hungarian camp and Soviet captivity]. Hadtort Kozl. 2002;115:1156-87 pubmed
- Lang J. Questioning dehumanization: intersubjective dimensions of violence in the Nazi concentration and death camps. Holocaust Genocide Stud. 2010;24:225-46 pubmed..The argument has a moral edge, demonstrating that the concept ultimately reduces, or displaces, the true horror of the killer-victim interaction. ..
- Cronberg S. [Refugees at Malmö Epidemic Hospital in 1945]. Sydsven Medicinhist Sallsk Arsskr. 1993;30:151-66 pubmed..Of these refugees 159 men and 167 women arrived from the German concentration camps in Ravensbrück, Buchenwald, Bergen-Belsen, Neuengamme and others...
- Clarke D, Colantonio A, Rhodes A, Conn D, Heslegrave R, Links P, et al. Differential experiences during the holocaust and suicidal ideation in older adults in treatment for depression. J Trauma Stress. 2006;19:417-23 pubmed..survivors who were in work camps, in ghettos, or in hiding (HS-WGH) and holocaust survivors who were in concentration camps (HS-CC) were more likely to suffer posttraumatic stress disorder compared to other survivors (HS-OT) and ..
- Shemesh A, Kohn R, Radomislensky I, Brodsky J, Levav I. Emotional distress and other health-related dimensions among elderly survivors of the Shoa living in the community. Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci. 2008;45:230-8 pubmed
- Delius P, Dilling H. The end of the Strecknitz asylum at Lübeck - a contribution to the social history of psychiatry during National Socialism. Hist Psychiatry. 1995;6:267-81 pubmed..The long-term effects beyond the end of the NS-regime vary a lot. Some of the relatives' coping strategies are portrayed. In some cases the murder of close family members continues to have its effects in the form of family secrets. ..
- Fonagy P. The transgenerational transmission of holocaust trauma. Lessons learned from the analysis of an adolescent with obsessive-compulsive disorder. Attach Hum Dev. 1999;1:92-114 pubmed
- Ohry A. [The tragic fate of physicians]. Harefuah. 2013;152:617-9, 622 pubmed..Tragic fate met these doctors, whether in the Russian prisons gulags, German labor or concentration camps, pogroms or at the hands of the Inquisition.
- Geiderman J. Ethics seminars: physician complicity in the Holocaust: historical review and reflections on emergency medicine in the 21st century, part I. Acad Emerg Med. 2002;9:223-31 pubmed..It also explores the role of professionalism then and now. In particular, ethical issues presently confronting emergency physicians are examined through this prism. ..
- Budko A, Gribovskaia G, Khoroshiĭ K. [Medical care for prisoners of war and displaced persons at the end of the World War II]. Voen Med Zh. 2002;323:76-8 pubmed
- Oberman A, Brosh Nissimov T, Ash N. Medicine and the Holocaust: a visit to the Nazi death camps as a means of teaching medical ethics in the Israel Defense Forces Medical Corps. J Med Ethics. 2010;36:821-6 pubmed publisher..During these visits daily discussions touch on intricate medical and military ethical issues, and contemporary ethical dilemmas relevant to IDF officers during active missions. ..
- Przeździak B, Lutomirski A, Kulczyk M. Prostheses and orthoses in the collections of the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum. Ortop Traumatol Rehabil. 2011;13:617-24 pubmed..Another point of value of the collection is its technical aspect, as it provides a clear picture of construction of prostheses and orthoses at the beginning of the 20th century. ..
- Sonneck G, Hirnsperger H, Mundschütz R. [Suicide and suicide prevention in Vienna from 1938 to 1945]. Neuropsychiatr. 2012;26:111-20 pubmed publisher..The paper concludes with a synopsis of V. E. Frankl's activities in the field of suicide prevention at the Rothschild Hospital as well as the concentration camp in Theresienstadt. ..
- Labuzek K, Prusek K, Gonciarz M, Okopien B. [Pharmacologists in the camps in the Third Reich--part second]. Pol Merkur Lekarski. 2013;35:242-5 pubmed
- Cordell R, Forsdick D. Symposium--commemoration of the liberation of the Bergen-Belsen Concentration Camp and medical management of disasters study period. J R Army Med Corps. 1999;145:28-30 pubmed
- Urlic I, Strkalj Ivezić S, John N. Trauma, shame and psychotic depression experienced by ex-POWs after release. Psychiatr Danub. 2009;21 Suppl 1:81-7 pubmed..This difficult feeling will be put in relationship with the psychotic answers. In that frame of reference the concept of 'near psychosis' will be described. ..
- Gogstad A, Løvold T. [Deserved punishment? Legal settlement 1945-50. Sociomedical aspects]. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 1999;119:2495-500 pubmed..As additional punishment, most lost their jobs and certain citizen's rights for a number of years, others had homes and property confiscated, and many became welfare cases. ..
- Dejong Lambert W. From eugenics to lysenkoism: the evolution of Stanis?aw Skowron. Hist Stud Nat Sci. 2009;39:269-99 pubmed..Polish geneticist Stanis?aw Skowron's views on eugenics during the interwar period, his experiences in Nazi concentration camps during World War II, and his response to Trofim D...
- Supady J. [The most frequent causes of prisoner's disease and death in Soviet labour camps]. Przegl Lek. 2001;58:1083-5 pubmedFirst concentration camps came into being as Soviet labour camps in captured by Bolsheviks Russia...
- Saenger P. Jewish pediatricians in Nazi Germany: victims of persecution. Isr Med Assoc J. 2006;8:324-8 pubmed..The two women, Dr. Luci Adelsberger and Dr. Lilli Jahn, illustrate both the ordeals endured and the disparate ways the Nazi policies ultimately spared or ended lives. ..
- Riaud X. [Story of three SS dentists during World War II: Pr Hugo Blaschke, Dr Hermann Pook and Dr Willy Frank]. Vesalius. 2006;12:79-93 pubmed..he had responsibility for the stocks of dental gold collected from the mouths of those who died in the concentration camps, in order to make dentures for his soldiers...
- Benedict S, Georges J. Nurses and the sterilization experiments of Auschwitz: a postmodernist perspective. Nurs Inq. 2006;13:277-88 pubmedThe medical experiments conducted on non-consenting prisoners of Nazi concentration camps during World War II necessitated the codification of principles to protect human subjects of research...
- Harris V. The role of the concentration camps in the Nazi repression of prostitutes, 1933-9. J Contemp Hist. 2010;45:675-98 pubmedThis article uses prostitutes as a case study in order to investigate the role of the early concentration camps as centres of detention for social deviants...
- Fohn A, Heenen Wolff S. The destiny of an unacknowledged trauma: the deferred retroactive effect of après-coup in the hidden Jewish children of wartime Belgium. Int J Psychoanal. 2011;92:5-20 pubmed publisher..War II was considered to be of little importance, particularly with respect to what had taken place in the concentration camps. Their very history was ignored in the many accounts of the Holocaust...
- Andersen P. [The Chinese death camp Sujiatun]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2006;168:1569 pubmed
- Hafer C, Olson J. An analysis of empirical research on the scope of justice. Pers Soc Psychol Rev. 2003;7:311-23 pubmed..We offer suggestions about how to study scope of justice issues in the future and identify points that need to be clarified regarding the conceptualization of the scope of justice. ..
- Vardy A. Forgotten victims of World War II: Hungarian women in Soviet forced labour camps. Hung Stud Rev. 2002;29:77-91 pubmed
- Hanitkevych Y. History of the terror of the communist regime of the Soviet Union in relation to doctors of Soviet Ukraine. Vesalius. 2010;16:68-74 pubmed..It includes details of 622 doctors who were persecuted, of whom 142 were shot and 337 were deported to concentration camps. It describes the repression of Ukrainian medical scientists, of whom nearly 50 were arrested and 7 were ..
- Denham P. Autumn's song. J Pastoral Care Counsel. 2005;59:381-4 pubmed
- Feldman E. Gleanings about dentistry from the world of literature (thirty-fourth in a series). J Hist Dent. 2004;52:117-8 pubmed
- Brush B. Caring for life: nursing during the Holocaust. Nurs Hist Rev. 2002;10:69-81 pubmed
- Schochow M, Willer M, Steger F. [From the Auschwitz Syndrome to a Psyche Model--Life and Work of the Polish Psychiatrist Antoni Kepinski (1918-1972)]. Psychiatr Prax. 2016;43:13-7 pubmed publisher..His theory on information metabolism is essential for the current treatment of patients. It is therefore important to further explore his work and adjust it to the requirements of medical practice. ..
- Kuch K, Rector N, Szacun Shimizu K. Absent dose-response in the posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms of 350 Holocaust survivors. Can J Psychiatry. 2005;50:125-6 pubmed
- Lang H. August Hirt and "extraordinary opportunities for cadaver delivery" to anatomical institutes in National Socialism: a murderous change in paradigm. Ann Anat. 2013;195:373-80 pubmed publisher..A suitable memorial to the victims must go beyond mere quantification. ..