regional health planning
Summary: Planning for health resources at a regional or multi-state level.
- Curtis B, Gregory D, Parfrey P, Kent G, Jelinski S, Kraft S, et al. Quality of medical care during and shortly after acute care restructuring in Newfoundland and Labrador. J Health Serv Res Policy. 2005;10 Suppl 2:S2:38-47 pubmed..Aggregation of acute care hospitals was feasible without attendant deterioration in patient care, and in some areas care improved. However, access to services continued to be a major problem in all regions. ..
- Barnato A, Kahn J, Rubenfeld G, McCauley K, Fontaine D, Frassica J, et al. Prioritizing the organization and management of intensive care services in the United States: the PrOMIS Conference. Crit Care Med. 2007;35:1003-11 pubmed..This process can be used as a model by other specialties to address priority setting in an era of shifting demographics and increasing resource constraints. ..
- Denis J, Contandriopoulos D, Beaulieu M. Regionalization in Canada: a promising heritage to build on. Healthc Pap. 2004;5:40-5; discussion 96-9 pubmed
- Lewis S, Kouri D. Regionalization: making sense of the Canadian experience. Healthc Pap. 2004;5:12-31 pubmed
- Germann K, Wilson D. Organizational capacity for community development in regional health authorities: a conceptual model. Health Promot Int. 2004;19:289-98 pubmed
- Mitton C, Patten S. Evidence-based priority-setting: what do the decision-makers think?. J Health Serv Res Policy. 2004;9:146-52 pubmed..The main finding of a desire for pragmatic assessment of benefit is informative for those involved in both decision-making and research. ..
- Mitton C, Donaldson C. Setting priorities and allocating resources in health regions: lessons from a project evaluating program budgeting and marginal analysis (PBMA). Health Policy. 2003;64:335-48 pubmed..Overall, managers in health organizations internationally would be well-served to consider PBMA to aid regional decision-making processes, but should do so with explicit consideration of the context in which such activity is to occur. ..
- Smith T, Stone N, Bull R, Chesters J, Waller S, Playford D, et al. Australian Rural Health Education Network's position on interprofessional education and practice in health care. Rural Remote Health. 2007;7:866 pubmed
- Wallace A, West A, Booth B, Weeks W. Unintended consequences of regionalizing specialized VA addiction services. Psychiatr Serv. 2007;58:668-74 pubmed..The VA and other health care policy makers should consider the potential unintended consequences to rural populations of resource reallocation. ..
- Toniolo F, Mantoan D, Maresso A. Veneto Region, Italy. Health system review. Health Syst Transit. 2012;14:i-xix, 1-138 pubmed
- Forest P, Palley H. Examining fiscal federalism, regionalization and community-based initiatives in Canada's health care delivery system. Soc Work Public Health. 2008;23:69-88 pubmed
- Bradley S, Maynard C, Bryson C. Appropriateness of percutaneous coronary interventions in Washington State. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2012;5:445-53 pubmed publisher..Missing data on noninvasive stress tests present a challenge in the application of the criteria for quality improvement. ..
- Mäenpää T, Suominen T, Asikainen P, Maass M, Rostila I. The outcomes of regional healthcare information systems in health care: a review of the research literature. Int J Med Inform. 2009;78:757-71 pubmed publisher..There were differences in organization culture, vision and expectations of leadership and consistency of strategic plan. Nevertheless, there were widespread participation by both healthcare providers and patients. ..
- Lora A, Starace F, Di Munzio W, Fioritti A. Italian community psychiatry in practice: description and comparison of three regional systems. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2014;202:446-50 pubmed publisher..For each region, the article focuses on MH policy, financing, the network of community health facilities, service provision, MH staff, and the information system. ..
- Hernandez Avila J, Santos Luna R, Palacio Mejía L, Salgado Salgado A, Ríos Salgado V, Rodríguez López M, et al. [Automated geospatial model for health services strategic planning]. Salud Publica Mex. 2010;52:432-46 pubmed..This model has been adopted by the General Department of Health Planning and Development of the Mexican Ministry of Health for the implementation of the Health Sector Infrastructure Master Plan. ..
- Young S, Tabish T, Pollock N, Young T. Backcountry Travel Emergencies in Arctic Canada: A Pilot Study in Public Health Surveillance. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2016;13: pubmed publisher..News media provides a partial source of data to estimate the extent and characteristics of backcountry emergencies. This information is needed to improve emergency preparedness and health system responsiveness in the Arctic. ..
- Ortolon K. Defusing a time bomb: TMA leadership impacts border health. Tex Med. 2007;103:28-9 pubmed
- Bouchard L. [The movement to represent Francophone minority groups: the future of health services in French]. Can Rev Sociol. 2011;48:203-15 pubmed..The study is based on a participatory methodology: concept mapping to identify the conceptual universe of a given problem. ..
- Donnino M, Rittenberger J, Gaieski D, Cocchi M, Giberson B, Peberdy M, et al. The development and implementation of cardiac arrest centers. Resuscitation. 2011;82:974-8 pubmed publisher..This paper may assist other potential clinical sites that are considering or actively developing cardiac arrest centers of their own. ..
- Singh J, MacDonald R. Pro/con debate: do the benefits of regionalized critical care delivery outweigh the risks of interfacility patient transport?. Crit Care. 2009;13:219 pubmed publisher..Given there are inherent risks and time delays associated with interfacility patient transport, you debate whether these potential risks outweigh the benefits of regional centres of excellence. ..
- Dourado D, Elias P. Regionalization and political dynamics of Brazilian health federalism. Rev Saude Publica. 2011;45:204-11 pubmed..actions and services in the National Unified Health System (SUS) were analyzed, considering that the regional health planning in Brazil takes place within the context of intergovernmental relations as an expression of cooperative ..
- Olivet M, Aloy J, Prat E, Pons X. [Health services provision and geographic accessibility]. Med Clin (Barc). 2008;131 Suppl 4:16-22 pubmed
- Winchell R, Ball J, Cooper G, Sanddal N, Rotondo M. An assessment of the impact of trauma systems consultation on the level of trauma system development. J Am Coll Surg. 2008;207:623-9 pubmed publisher..In this short-term followup study, progress was seen primarily in areas related to planning and system design. Consultation was not effective in helping systems secure stable funding. ..
- Boussalis C, Nelson H, Swaminathan S. Towards comprehensive malaria planning: the effect of government capacity, health policy, and land use variables on malaria incidence in India. Soc Sci Med. 2012;75:1213-21 pubmed publisher..We conclude by proposing the integration of government capacity measures into existing planning efforts, including vulnerability mapping tools and disease surveillance efforts. ..
- Zavaglio G, Sala C. [Collaboration between the Regional Health and the Agenzia Regionale Prevenzione e Ambiente Lombardia]. Epidemiol Prev. 2007;31:16-26 pubmed
- Mallitt K, Wilson D, McDonald A, Wand H. HIV incidence trends vary between jurisdictions in Australia: an extended back-projection analysis of men who have sex with men. Sex Health. 2012;9:138-43 pubmed publisher..HIV diagnosis trends among MSM in Australia reflect changes in estimated incidence to 2009, and reveal the largest increase in the past 10 years in Qld. ..
- Hildebrandt H, Schmitt G, Roth M, Stunder B. [Implementing population-based integrated care for a region: a work-in-progress report on the project "Gesundes Kinzigtal"]. Z Evid Fortbild Qual Gesundhwes. 2011;105:585-9 pubmed publisher..The programmes and projects are developed, implemented, and evaluated by multidisciplinary teams. ..
- Thompson M, Holt P, Loftus I, Forbes T. Debate: whether abdominal aortic aneurysm surgery should be centralized at higher-volume centers. J Vasc Surg. 2011;54:1208-14 pubmed publisher..The following discussion presents the advantages and disadvantages of the practical use of such information. ..
- Bousquat A, Giovanella L, Fausto M, Fusaro E, Mendonça M, Gagno J, et al. [Structural typology of Brazilian primary healthcare units: the 5 Rs]. Cad Saude Publica. 2017;33:e00037316 pubmed publisher..The typology presented here can be a useful tool for temporal and spatial monitoring of the quality of infrastructure in UBS in Brazil. ..
- Hassan C, Bersani G, Buri L, Zullo A, Anti M, Bianco M, et al. Appropriateness of upper-GI endoscopy: an Italian survey on behalf of the Italian Society of Digestive Endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc. 2007;65:767-74 pubmed..Because most of the relevant findings were detected during examinations performed for appropriate indications, the use of ASGE guidelines emerges as crucial to the cost-effectiveness of an open-access system. ..
- Skillman S, Andrilla C, Patterson D, Tieman L, Doescher M. The licensed practical nurse workforce in the United States: one state's experience. Cah Sociol Demogr Med. 2010;50:179-212 pubmed..Carefully articulated LPN-to-RN education programs could improve the attractiveness of the profession and increase the supply of LPNs. ..
- Iñiguez Rueda L, Sánchez Candamio M, Sanz J, Elias A, Fusté J. [The incorporation of the views of the public, professionals and managers in the healthcare planning process in Catalonia, Spain]. Med Clin (Barc). 2008;131 Suppl 4:9-15 pubmed..This new methodological approach has been of great use for pointing out guidance strategies for services. ..
- Schaumans C, Verboven F. Entry and regulation: evidence from health care professions. Rand J Econ. 2008;39:949-72 pubmed..The public interest motivation for the current regime therefore has no empirical support. ..
- Kearns R, Holmes J, Cairns B. Burn disaster preparedness and the southern region of the United States. South Med J. 2013;106:69-73 pubmed publisher..Understanding the regional capacity, capability, and when a surge of patients may require the practice of altered standards of care is essential for those involved in medical disaster preparedness. ..
- Ascunce N, Salas D, Zubizarreta R, Almazan R, Ibanez J, Ederra M. Cancer screening in Spain. Ann Oncol. 2010;21 Suppl 3:iii43-51 pubmed publisher..The fact that screening programmes are operated as a network has led to a high degree of consensus as to the methodology and information systems to be used to enable joint evaluation. ..
- Smith J. Area agencies on aging: a community resource for patients and families. Home Healthc Nurse. 2010;28:416-22 pubmed publisher..It is vital that home health clinicians understand how the AAAs can help their patients and families. This article educates clinicians about the available services that AAAs have to offer. ..
- Bacchielli M. [Which tools should be used to identify educational objectives in the regional health service? The experience in Marche Region (Italy)]. Recenti Prog Med. 2010;101:243-7 pubmed..e. data that General Management can (... should) use to redirect not only training but their Company management as well. ..
- Nosko J. [The role of regional and local authorities in shaping health-conducive environmental determinants in the light of the Polish legislation]. Med Pr. 2010;61:431-48 pubmed..The participation of local societies in these activities is also emphasized. ..
- Stiel S, Joppich R, Nachite S, Elsner F, Radbruch L, Rossaint R. [Problems and deficits in the transition from inpatient to outpatient care of cancer patients]. Z Evid Fortbild Qual Gesundhwes. 2009;103:461-6 pubmed..A more simple method could reduce the burden for the patients and the amount of missing data and thus allow for a deeper insight into the patients' needs. ..
- Horney J, Markiewicz M, Meyer A, MacDonald P. Support and services provided by public health regional surveillance teams to Local Health Departments in North Carolina. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2011;17:E7-13 pubmed publisher..However, further research is needed to identify whether regional variation is the result of varying capacity or priorities of the PHRSTs or LHDs and to determine how much variation is acceptable. ..
- Smith P. Resource allocation and purchasing in the health sector: the English experience. Bull World Health Organ. 2008;86:884-8 pubmed..The English example is relevant to less-developed health systems, especially for those governments seeking to decentralize, to improve accountability and to promote equity. ..
- Prata N, Weidert K, Sreenivas A. Meeting the need: youth and family planning in sub-Saharan Africa. Contraception. 2013;88:83-90 pubmed publisher..Our findings support existing literature that calls for a reorientation of family planning policies and programs, especially improved access to modern contraceptive methods among African youth. ..
- Wilkinson J, Berghmans L, Imbert F, Ledesert B, Ochoa A. Health indicators in the European regions: expanding regional comparisons to the new countries of the European Union - ISARE III. Public Health. 2009;123:490-5 pubmed publisher..There remains an urgent need to introduce comprehensive sub-national data collection on important public health topics such as obesity and smoking. ..
- Arrizón A, Andersson N, Ledogar R. Micro-regional planning: evidence-based community buy-in for health development in five of Mexico's poorest rural districts. BMC Health Serv Res. 2011;11 Suppl 2:S2 pubmed publisher..The process empowered municipalities to get access to more resources from the state government and international agencies. ..
- Evans M. Growing a system. Ky. hospitals ripe for regional health system: CHI. Mod Healthc. 2007;37:20-1 pubmed