patient reported outcome measures
Summary: Assessment of the quality and effectiveness of health care as measured and directly reported by the patient.
- McInnes I, Mease P, Ritchlin C, Rahman P, Gottlieb A, Kirkham B, et al. Secukinumab sustains improvement in signs and symptoms of psoriatic arthritis: 2 year results from the phase 3 FUTURE 2 study. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2017;56:1993-2003 pubmed publisher..To assess long-term efficacy, safety and tolerability of secukinumab up to 104 weeks in patients with active PsA...
- Verma V, Simone C, Mishra M. Quality of Life and Patient-Reported Outcomes Following Proton Radiation Therapy: A Systematic Review. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2018;110: pubmed publisher..Evaluating quality of life (QOL) and patient-reported outcomes (PROs) is essential to establishing PBT's "value" in oncologic therapy. The goal of this systematic review was to assess QOL and PROs in patients treated with PBT...
- Daunter A, Kratz A, Hurvitz E. Long-term impact of childhood selective dorsal rhizotomy on pain, fatigue, and function: a case-control study. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2017;59:1089-1095 pubmed publisher..This study tested whether adults with CP (average 22y after SDR) report less pain, fatigue, and functional decline than a retrospectively assessed non-surgical comparison group...
- Suzuki S, Oura T, Takeuchi M, Boye K. Evaluation of the impact of once weekly dulaglutide on patient-reported outcomes in Japanese patients with type 2 diabetes: comparisons with liraglutide, insulin glargine, and placebo in two randomized studies. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2017;15:123 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov (monotherapy study: NCT01558271 , registered March 12, 2012; combination therapy study: NCT01584232 , registered April 23, 2012). ..
- Matza L, Margolis M, Deal L, Farrand K, Erder M. Challenges of Developing an Observable Parent-Reported Measure: A Qualitative Study of Functional Impact of ADHD in Children. Value Health. 2017;20:828-833 pubmed publisher..Approaches for addressing this observability challenge are discussed. ..
- van der Heijde D, Dougados M, LandewÃ© R, Sieper J, Maksymowych W, Rudwaleit M, et al. Sustained efficacy, safety and patient-reported outcomes of certolizumab pegol in axial spondyloarthritis: 4-year outcomes from RAPID-axSpA. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2017;56:1498-1509 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov, http://clinicaltrials.gov, NCT01087762. ..
- Srinivasa D, Garvey P, Qi J, Hamill J, Kim H, Pusic A, et al. Direct-to-Implant versus Two-Stage Tissue Expander/Implant Reconstruction: 2-Year Risks and Patient-Reported Outcomes from a Prospective, Multicenter Study. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;140:869-877 pubmed publisher..The authors' aim was to compare 2-year complications and patient-reported outcomes for direct-to-implant versus tissue expander/implant reconstruction...
- Thorlund J, Englund M, Christensen R, Nissen N, Pihl K, Jørgensen U, et al. Patient reported outcomes in patients undergoing arthroscopic partial meniscectomy for traumatic or degenerative meniscal tears: comparative prospective cohort study. BMJ. 2017;356:j356 pubmed publisher..Trial registration ClinicalTrials.gov identifier NCT01871272. ..
- Singh J, Dowsey M, Choong P. Patient Endorsement of the Outcome Measures in Rheumatology (OMERACT) Total Joint Replacement (TJR) clinical trial draft core domain set. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017;18:111 pubmed publisher..Patients provided qualitative feedback regarding core domains, and did not propose any modifications to the draft core domain set. Two separate patient stakeholder groups endorsed the OMERACT TJR draft core domain set for TJR trials. ..
- Scheel J, Reber S, Stoessel L, Waldmann E, Jank S, Eckardt K, et al. Patient-reported non-adherence and immunosuppressant trough levels are associated with rejection after renal transplantation. BMC Nephrol. 2017;18:107 pubmed publisher..Further research concerning the best combination of non-adherence measures is needed. ..
- Aggarwal R, Rider L, Ruperto N, Bayat N, Erman B, Feldman B, et al. 2016 American College of Rheumatology/European League Against Rheumatism Criteria for Minimal, Moderate, and Major Clinical Response in Adult Dermatomyositis and Polymyositis: An International Myositis Assessment and Clinical Studies Group/Paediatric. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2017;69:898-910 pubmed publisher..001). The response criteria for adult DM/PM consisted of the conjoint analysis model based on absolute percent change in 6 core set measures, with thresholds for minimal, moderate, and major improvement. ..
- Crossley K, Stefanik J, Selfe J, Collins N, Davis I, Powers C, et al. 2016 Patellofemoral pain consensus statement from the 4th International Patellofemoral Pain Research Retreat, Manchester. Part 1: Terminology, definitions, clinical examination, natural history, patellofemoral osteoarthritis and patient-reported outc. Br J Sports Med. 2016;50:839-43 pubmed publisher
- Vervoort V, Vriezekolk J, van den Ende C. Development of responder criteria for multicomponent non-pharmacological treatment in fibromyalgia. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2017;35 Suppl 105:86-92 pubmed..71). We defined sets of responder criteria for multicomponent non-pharmacological treatment in fibromyalgia. Further research should focus on the validation of those sets with acceptable performance. ..
- Goudie E, Clement N, Murray I, Lawrence C, Wilson M, Brooksbank A, et al. The Influence of Shortening on Clinical Outcome in Healed Displaced Midshaft Clavicular Fractures After Nonoperative Treatment. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2017;99:1166-1172 pubmed publisher..Therapeutic Level IV. See Instructions for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence. ..
- Meerhoff G, van Dulmen S, Maas M, Heijblom K, Nijhuis van der Sanden M, van der Wees P. Development and Evaluation of an Implementation Strategy for Collecting Data in a National Registry and the Use of Patient-Reported Outcome Measures in Physical Therapist Practices: Quality Improvement Study. Phys Ther. 2017;97:837-851 pubmed publisher..The routine use of PROMs needs to increase to ensure valid feedback of outcomes. Using knowledge brokers is promising for implementing the program via peer assessment workshops. ..
- Vickers A, Chen L. Manifesto: towards a clinically-oriented psychometrics. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2017;15:83 pubmed publisher..Developing statistical methods to optimize questionnaires will be highly challenging but needed to bring the potential of patient reported outcomes into widespread clinical use. ..
- Lescrauwaet B, Miserocchi E, Thurau S, Bodaghi B, Duchateau L, Verstraeten T, et al. Association Between Visual Function Response and Reduction of Inflammation in Noninfectious Uveitis of the Posterior Segment. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:3555-3562 pubmed publisher..0009), and overall VFR (OR = 2.65; P < 0.0001). Inflammation reduction to a VH score of 0 or 0.5+ was significantly associated with improved visual function. Achieving a VH response of 0 or 0.5+ is a patient-relevant outcome. ..
- Zerillo J, Schouwenburg M, van Bommel A, Stowell C, Lippa J, Bauer D, et al. An International Collaborative Standardizing a Comprehensive Patient-Centered Outcomes Measurement Set for Colorectal Cancer. JAMA Oncol. 2017;3:686-694 pubmed publisher..A standardized set of patient-centered outcome measures to inform value-based health care in colorectal cancer was developed. Pilot efforts are under way to measure the standard set among members of the working group. ..
- Alibaz Oner F, Sreih A, Merkel P, Direskeneli H. Patient-reported outcomes in Takayasu's arteritis. Presse Med. 2017;46:e225-e227 pubmed publisher..There are ongoing efforts of Outcome Measures in Rheumatology (OMERACT) Vasculitis Working Group to develop disease-specific outcome measures in TAK. ..
- Kendrick T, Stuart B, Leydon G, Geraghty A, Yao L, Ryves R, et al. Patient-reported outcome measures for monitoring primary care patients with depression: PROMDEP feasibility randomised trial. BMJ Open. 2017;7:e015266 pubmed publisher..To determine the feasibility of a trial of patient-reported outcome measures (PROMs) for monitoring primary care patients with depression...
- Elherik F, Dolan S, Antrum J, Unglaub F, Howie C, Breusch S. Functional and patient-reported outcomes of the Swanson metacarpo-phalangeal arthroplasty in the rheumatoid hand. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2017;137:725-731 pubmed publisher..Implant survivorship was 98.6%. Patient satisfaction and functional surrogate markers were overall favourable. Our results support the continued use of Swanson silastic arthoplasty in advanced RA. ..
- Xia T, Long C, Vining R, Gudavalli M, Devocht J, Kawchuk G, et al. Association of lumbar spine stiffness and flexion-relaxation phenomenon with patient-reported outcomes in adults with chronic low back pain - a single-arm clinical trial investigating the effects of thrust spinal manipulation. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:303 pubmed publisher..008, respectively) across the 3 assessment time points. Improvement in pain and disability observed in study participants with chronic LBP was not associated with the measured GS or FRR. NCT01670292 on clinicaltrials.gov, August 2, 2012. ..
- Vegel A, Shah N, Lidor A, Greenberg J, Shan Y, Wang X, et al. Patient-reported quality of life after bariatric surgery: a single institution analysis. J Surg Res. 2017;218:117-123 pubmed publisher..However, there are limited data describing its impact on patient-reported quality of life (QoL). We examined patient-reported QoL after bariatric surgery and analyzed variables associated with higher postoperative QoL...
- Kamimura K, Yokoo T, Kamimura H, Sakamaki A, Abe S, Tsuchiya A, et al. Long-term efficacy and safety of nalfurafine hydrochloride on pruritus in chronic liver disease patients: Patient-reported outcome based analyses. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178991 pubmed publisher..No significant toxicity was observed on the serum biochemical analyses. Nalfurafine hydrochloride contributed to long-term suppression of pruritus without significant safety problems. ..
- Ferreira R, Dougados M, Kirwan J, Duarte C, de Wit M, Soubrier M, et al. Drivers of patient global assessment in patients with rheumatoid arthritis who are close to remission: an analysis of 1588 patients. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2017;56:1573-1578 pubmed publisher..PGA in near-remission seems to be driven by physical rather than psychological domains. Selecting the best therapy for these patients requires a better understanding of the meaning of PGA, both globally and in individual patients. ..
- Coute R, Ehrenfeld J, Gupta D, Terekhov M, Wanderer J. Electronically self-assessed functional capacity and exercise testing: A comparison of the Duke Activity Status Index and Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System tools. Am Heart J. 2017;188:82-86 pubmed publisher..10). Among patients undergoing clinically indicated exercise stress testing, DASI outperformed PROMIS PF-SF12a as a predictor of exercise METs. ..
- Mattsson N, Nieminen K, Heikkinen A, Jalkanen J, Koivurova S, Eloranta M, et al. Validation of the short forms of the Pelvic Floor Distress Inventory (PFDI-20), Pelvic Floor Impact Questionnaire (PFIQ-7), and Pelvic Organ Prolapse/Urinary Incontinence Sexual Questionnaire (PISQ-12) in Finnish. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2017;15:88 pubmed publisher..The Finnish version of PFIQ-7 displayed low response rate and some evidence of a floor effect, and thus its use is not recommended in its current form. ..
- Bowman S, Everett C, O Dwyer J, Emery P, Pitzalis C, Ng W, et al. Randomized Controlled Trial of Rituximab and Cost-Effectiveness Analysis in Treating Fatigue and Oral Dryness in Primary Sjögren's Syndrome. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2017;69:1440-1450 pubmed publisher..The results of this study indicate that rituximab is neither clinically effective nor cost-effective in this patient population. ..
- Gagnier J, Mullins M, Huang H, Marinac Dabic D, Ghambaryan A, Eloff B, et al. A Systematic Review of Measurement Properties of Patient-Reported Outcome Measures Used in Patients Undergoing Total Knee Arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2017;32:1688-1697.e7 pubmed publisher..The methods and reporting of this literature can improve by following accepted guidelines. ..
- Pickard A, Hung Y, Lin F, Lee T. Patient Experience-based Value Sets: Are They Stable?. Med Care. 2017;55:979-984 pubmed publisher..Although societal preference weights are desirable to inform resource-allocation decision-making, patient experienced health state-based value sets can be useful for clinical decision-making, but context may matter...
- Murata Y, Uchida S, Utsunomiya H, Hatakeyama A, Nakamura E, Sakai A. A Comparison of Clinical Outcome Between Athletes and Nonathletes Undergoing Hip Arthroscopy for Femoroacetabular Impingement. Clin J Sport Med. 2017;27:349-356 pubmed publisher..05). Although arthroscopic FAI correction and labral preservation surgery is generally beneficial, it appears to provide a better clinical outcome in athletes than in nonathletes. ..
- Raffel J, Wallace A, Gveric D, Reynolds R, Friede T, Nicholas R. Patient-reported outcomes and survival in multiple sclerosis: A 10-year retrospective cohort study using the Multiple Sclerosis Impact Scale-29. PLoS Med. 2017;14:e1002346 pubmed publisher..This study reports that PROs can be prognostic for hard clinical outcomes in neurological disease, and supports PROs as a meaningful clinical outcome for use in research and clinical settings. ..
- Khavanin N, Clemens M, Pusic A, Fine N, Hamill J, Kim H, et al. Shaped versus Round Implants in Breast Reconstruction: A Multi-Institutional Comparison of Surgical and Patient-Reported Outcomes. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;139:1063-1070 pubmed publisher..Both implant types yielded comparable patient-reported outcome scores. With appropriate patient selection, both shaped and round implants can provide acceptable outcomes in breast reconstruction. Therapeutic, III. ..
- Kramer J, Schwartz A. Refining the Pediatric Evaluation of Disability Inventory-Patient-Reported Outcome (PEDI-PRO) item candidates: interpretation of a self-reported outcome measure of functional performance by young people with neurodevelopmental disabilities. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2017;59:1083-1088 pubmed publisher..The PEDI-PRO assesses the functional performance of discrete functional tasks in the context of everyday life situations...
- Schwab J, Janssen S, Paulino Pereira N, Chen Y, Wain J, DeLaney T, et al. Quality of life after resection of a chordoma of the mobile spine. Bone Joint J. 2017;99-B:979-986 pubmed publisher..These patient reported outcomes and oncological and surgical outcomes can be used when counselling patients and to aid decision-making when planning surgery. Cite this article: Bone Joint J 2017;99-B:979-86. ..
- Jeevan R, Browne J, Gulliver Clarke C, Pereira J, Caddy C, van der Meulen J, et al. Surgical Determinants of Patient-Reported Outcomes following Postmastectomy Reconstruction in Women with Breast Cancer. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;139:1036e-1045e pubmed publisher..These results can inform patients of the anticipated outcomes of their selected surgery, but further research is required to confirm whether autologous reconstruction is superior in general. Therapeutic, II. ..
- Rios Diaz A, Herrera Escobar J, Lilley E, Appelson J, Gabbe B, Brasel K, et al. Routine inclusion of long-term functional and patient-reported outcomes into trauma registries: The FORTE project. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017;83:97-104 pubmed publisher..Prognostic/epidemiologic, level II; Therapeutic, level III. ..
- Brunet J, Burke S, Grocott M, West M, Jack S. The effects of exercise on pain, fatigue, insomnia, and health perceptions in patients with operable advanced stage rectal cancer prior to surgery: a pilot trial. BMC Cancer. 2017;17:153 pubmed publisher..This study has been registered with clinicaltrials.gov (NCT01325909; March 29, 2011). ..
- Katzan I, Fan Y, Griffith S, Crane P, Thompson N, Cella D. Scale Linking to Enable Patient-Reported Outcome Performance Measures Assessed with Different Patient-Reported Outcome Measures. Value Health. 2017;20:1143-1149 pubmed publisher..There was a high level of agreement in the PRO-PM for depression when incorporating different PROMs. These findings support the ability to use linkage of scale scores to assess performance of PRO-PMs with different PROMs. ..
- Werner B, Wong A, Chang B, Craig E, Dines D, Warren R, et al. Depression and Patient-Reported Outcomes Following Total Shoulder Arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2017;99:688-695 pubmed publisher..Prognostic Level III. See Instructions for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence. ..
- Chen B, Song H, Gao Q, Xu M, Wang J, Wang F, et al. Measuring satisfaction with appearance: Validation of the FACE-Q scales for double-eyelid blepharoplasty with minor incision in young Asians- retrospective study of 200 cases. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2017;70:1129-1135 pubmed publisher..Excessive amount of skin must be removed. Patients who responded in this study were extremely satisfied with their decision to undergo double-eyelid surgery and the outcomes and quality of life following the procedure. ..
- Harrington K, Ferris R, Blumenschein G, Colevas A, Fayette J, Licitra L, et al. Nivolumab versus standard, single-agent therapy of investigator's choice in recurrent or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (CheckMate 141): health-related quality-of-life results from a randomised, phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18:1104-1115 pubmed publisher..Bristol-Myers Squibb. ..
- Strazdins E, Nie Y, Ramli R, Palesy T, Christensen J, Marcells G, et al. Association of Mental Health Status With Perception of Nasal Function. JAMA Facial Plast Surg. 2017;19:369-377 pubmed publisher..na. ..
- Cooke A, Diaz Abele J, Hayakawa T, Buchel E, Dalke K, Lambert P. Radiation Therapy Versus No Radiation Therapy to the Neo-breast Following Skin-Sparing Mastectomy and Immediate Autologous Free Flap Reconstruction for Breast Cancer: Patient-Reported and Surgical Outcomes at 1 Year-A Mastectomy Reconstruction Outcom. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;99:165-172 pubmed publisher..Patient-reported results at 1Â year after surgery suggest RT following immediate autologous free flap breast reconstruction is well tolerated. ..
- Clement N, MacDonald D, Burnett R, Simpson A, Howie C. A patient's perception of their hospital stay influences the functional outcome and satisfaction of total knee arthroplasty. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2017;137:693-700 pubmed publisher..A patient's perception of their inpatient hospital experience after surgery is an important modifiable predictor of early functional outcome and satisfaction with TKA. ..
- Aiyegbusi O, Kyte D, Cockwell P, Marshall T, Gheorghe A, Keeley T, et al. Measurement properties of patient-reported outcome measures (PROMs) used in adult patients with chronic kidney disease: A systematic review. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179733 pubmed publisher..However, further research is required to evaluate the measurement error, structural validity, responsiveness and patient acceptability of PROMs used in CKD. ..
- Kitchen H, Aldhouse N, Trigg A, Palencia R, Mitchell S. A review of patient-reported outcome measures to assess female infertility-related quality of life. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2017;15:86 pubmed publisher..Further research is recommended to address gaps in evidence and confirm both PRO measures as reliable assessments of patient outcomes. ..
- Cotterill N, Tubaro A. Can a patient reported outcome be adequate without assessing quality of life in lower urinary tract dysfunction?. Neurourol Urodyn. 2017;36:943-948 pubmed publisher..It was suggested that these findings would enable clinicians and researchers to make more informed decisions regarding PRO selection, use, and intepretation. ..
- Barocas D, Alvarez J, Resnick M, Koyama T, Hoffman K, Tyson M, et al. Association Between Radiation Therapy, Surgery, or Observation for Localized Prostate Cancer and Patient-Reported Outcomes After 3 Years. JAMA. 2017;317:1126-1140 pubmed publisher..These findings may facilitate counseling regarding the comparative harms of contemporary treatments for prostate cancer. ..
- Berlowitz D, Foy C, Kazis L, Bolin L, Conroy M, Fitzpatrick P, et al. Effect of Intensive Blood-Pressure Treatment on Patient-Reported Outcomes. N Engl J Med. 2017;377:733-744 pubmed publisher..Whether such intensive treatment affected patient-reported outcomes was uncertain; those results from the trial are reported here...