Summary: Preferentially rated health-related activities or functions to be used in establishing health planning goals. This may refer specifically to PL93-641.
- Diederich A, Schreier M. [The acceptance of personal responsibility as a criterion in assigning health care benefits. An empirical study]. Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz. 2010;53:896-902 pubmed publisher..In addition, the interview study shows reasons for acceptance or refusal of the self-inflicted behavior criterion. ..
- Kapiriri L, Norheim O, Martin D. Fairness and accountability for reasonableness. Do the views of priority setting decision makers differ across health systems and levels of decision making?. Soc Sci Med. 2009;68:766-73 pubmed publisher..However, the framework should be used with flexibility to allow for identification of elements and relevant explicit criteria (such as those identified in this study) - that may not directly fit under any of the four conditions. ..
- Johansson K, Miljeteig I, Kigwangalla H, Norheim O. HIV priorities and health distributions in a rural region in Tanzania: a qualitative study. J Med Ethics. 2011;37:221-6 pubmed publisher..The distributional pattern of health outcomes calls for further normative assessment. ..
- Geneau R, Stuckler D, Stachenko S, McKee M, Ebrahim S, Basu S, et al. Raising the priority of preventing chronic diseases: a political process. Lancet. 2010;376:1689-98 pubmed publisher..Until the full set of threats—which include chronic disease—that trap poor households in cycles of debt and illness are addressed, progress towards equitable human development will remain inadequate. ..
- Ghaffar A. Setting research priorities by applying the combined approach matrix. Indian J Med Res. 2009;129:368-75 pubmed..Potential challenges encountered in the process of research priority setting are discussed and some recommendations for further work in this field are provided. ..
- Johri M, Damschroder L, Zikmund Fisher B, Kim S, Ubel P. Can a moral reasoning exercise improve response quality to surveys of healthcare priorities?. J Med Ethics. 2009;35:57-64 pubmed publisher..A moral reasoning exercise is a promising strategy to improve response quality to surveys of healthcare priorities. ..
- Gooberman Hill R, Horwood J, Calnan M. Citizens' juries in planning research priorities: process, engagement and outcome. Health Expect. 2008;11:272-81 pubmed publisher..Opposing emotions of tension and harmony are a crucial part of the deliberation process. ..
- Smith N, Mitton C, Peacock S, Cornelissen E, MacLeod S. Identifying research priorities for health care priority setting: a collaborative effort between managers and researchers. BMC Health Serv Res. 2009;9:165 pubmed publisher..The process of engagement itself had benefits in terms of connecting decision-makers with their peers and sparking increased interest in the use and refinement of priority setting frameworks. ..
- Walley J, Lawn J, Tinker A, de Francisco A, Chopra M, Rudan I, et al. Primary health care: making Alma-Ata a reality. Lancet. 2008;372:1001-7 pubmed publisher..Progress should be measured and accountability assured. We prioritise research questions and suggest actions and measures for stakeholders both locally and globally, which are required to revitalise primary health care. ..
- Sundewall J, Jönsson K, Cheelo C, Tomson G. Stakeholder perceptions of aid coordination implementation in the Zambian health sector. Health Policy. 2010;95:122-8 pubmed publisher..This requires careful consideration of contextual constraints surrounding each donor. ..
- Husereau D, Boucher M, Noorani H. Priority setting for health technology assessment at CADTH. Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 2010;26:341-7 pubmed publisher..This may in turn lead to efficiently allocating resources available for HTA research. ..
- Waldau S, Lindholm L, Wiechel A. Priority setting in practice: participants opinions on vertical and horizontal priority setting for reallocation. Health Policy. 2010;96:245-54 pubmed publisher..Generalizability has already been demonstrated by several health care organisations that performed processes founded on this working model. ..
- Arvidsson E, Andre M, Borgquist L, Carlsson P. Priority setting in primary health care - dilemmas and opportunities: a focus group study. BMC Fam Pract. 2010;11:71 pubmed publisher..Considering the three additional dimensions might enhance implementation of national guidelines in PHC and is probably a prerequisite for the criteria to be useful in priority setting for individual patients. ..
- Sibbald S, Gibson J, Singer P, Upshur R, Martin D. Evaluating priority setting success in healthcare: a pilot study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2010;10:131 pubmed publisher..As the evaluation process is applied in more health care organizations or applied repeatedly in an organization, it may become more streamlined. ..
- Maluka S, Kamuzora P, San Sebastian M, Byskov J, Olsen Ø, Shayo E, et al. Decentralized health care priority-setting in Tanzania: evaluating against the accountability for reasonableness framework. Soc Sci Med. 2010;71:751-9 pubmed publisher..Second, it provides guidance to decision-makers on how to improve fairness, legitimacy, and sustainability of the priority-setting process. ..
- Maher D. Implications of the global financial crisis for the response to diseases of poverty within overall health sector development: the case of tuberculosis. Trop Med Int Health. 2010;15:11-7 pubmed publisher..Lessons learned will be valuable for stakeholders involved in the health sector response to tuberculosis and other diseases of poverty. ..
- Neiger B, Thackeray R, Fagen M. Basic priority rating model 2.0: current applications for priority setting in health promotion practice. Health Promot Pract. 2011;12:166-71 pubmed publisher..The authors also suggest a new name, BPR 2.0, to represent this revised model. ..
- Cashman R, Eng E, Simán F, Rhodes S. Exploring the sexual health priorities and needs of immigrant Latinas in the southeastern United States: a community-based participatory research approach. AIDS Educ Prev. 2011;23:236-48 pubmed publisher..To identify sexual health priorities, gaps in information and skills, and key intervention characteristics to improve sexual health among ..
- Paul V, Sachdev H, Mavalankar D, Ramachandran P, Sankar M, Bhandari N, et al. Reproductive health, and child health and nutrition in India: meeting the challenge. Lancet. 2011;377:332-49 pubmed publisher..This agenda needs political commitment of the highest order and the development of a people's movement. ..
- Bridges J, Gallego G, Kudo M, Okita K, Han K, Ye S, et al. Identifying and prioritizing strategies for comprehensive liver cancer control in Asia. BMC Health Serv Res. 2011;11:298 pubmed publisher..Continued research will provide more generalizable estimates of priorities and account for variation across stakeholders and countries. ..
- Phillips C, Main C, Buck R, Aylward M, Wynne Jones G, Farr A. Prioritising pain in policy making: the need for a whole systems perspective. Health Policy. 2008;88:166-75 pubmed publisher..Current relevant government policies in U.K. are discussed to highlight the need to prioritise pain and adopt a whole-systems approach to its management if governments are to successfully reduce its cost and burden. ..
- Karlberg H, Brinkmo B. The unethical focus on access: a study of medical ethics and the waiting-time guarantee. Scand J Public Health. 2009;37:117-21 pubmed publisher..For more than a decade, the interpretation in Sweden of the equitable principle based on medical needs has been distorted through political decisions, leading to healthcare providers giving priority to access rather than needs for care. ..
- Mitton C, Smith N, Peacock S, Evoy B, Abelson J. Public participation in health care priority setting: A scoping review. Health Policy. 2009;91:219-28 pubmed publisher..While some strands can be taken to inform current priority setting activity, this scoping review identified many gaps and highlights numerous areas for further research. ..
- Kjeken I, Ziegler C, Skrolsvik J, Bagge J, Smedslund G, Tøvik A, et al. How to develop patient-centered research: some perspectives based on surveys among people with rheumatic diseases in Scandinavia. Phys Ther. 2010;90:450-60 pubmed publisher..Based on results from 3 surveys organized by the Scandinavian Rheumatism Associations and on related research literature, the possible implications for future research also are discussed. ..
- Wilson E, Peacock S, Ruta D. Priority setting in practice: what is the best way to compare costs and benefits?. Health Econ. 2009;18:467-78 pubmed publisher..The optimal approach is far from clear, with each technique having its own strengths and weaknesses. A deliberative approach using summaries of costs and benefits of options as a basis for discussion may be preferable. ..
- Niemi M, Thanh H, Tuan T, Falkenberg T. Mental health priorities in Vietnam: a mixed-methods analysis. BMC Health Serv Res. 2010;10:257 pubmed publisher..This initial attempt to map the mental health situation of Vietnam suffers from a number of limitations and should be seen as a first step towards a comprehensive profile. ..
- Mangham L, Hanson K, McPake B. How to do (or not to do) ... Designing a discrete choice experiment for application in a low-income country. Health Policy Plan. 2009;24:151-8 pubmed publisher..We outline the stages involved in undertaking a DCE, with an emphasis on the design considerations applicable in a low-income setting. ..
- Voigt I, Wrede J, Diederichs Egidi H, Dierks M, Junius Walker U. Priority setting in general practice: health priorities of older patients differ from treatment priorities of their physicians. Croat Med J. 2010;51:483-92 pubmedTo ascertain health priorities of older patients and treatment priorities of their general practitioners (GP) on the basis of a geriatric assessment and to determine the agreement between these priorities...
- Persad G, Wertheimer A, Emanuel E. Principles for allocation of scarce medical interventions. Lancet. 2009;373:423-31 pubmed publisher..We recommend an alternative system-the complete lives system-which prioritises younger people who have not yet lived a complete life, and also incorporates prognosis, save the most lives, lottery, and instrumental value principles. ..
- Beaglehole R, Bonita R, Horton R, Adams C, Alleyne G, Asaria P, et al. Priority actions for the non-communicable disease crisis. Lancet. 2011;377:1438-47 pubmed publisher..If widely adopted, these interventions will achieve the global goal of reducing NCD death rates by 2% per year, averting tens of millions of premature deaths in this decade. ..
- Menon D, Stafinski T. Engaging the public in priority-setting for health technology assessment: findings from a citizens' jury. Health Expect. 2008;11:282-93 pubmed publisher..Citizens' juries offer a feasible approach to involving the public in priority-setting for HTA. Furthermore, technologies that may benefit a number of people and improve quality of life appear to be of greatest importance to the public. ..
- Baltussen R, Youngkong S, Paolucci F, Niessen L. Multi-criteria decision analysis to prioritize health interventions: Capitalizing on first experiences. Health Policy. 2010;96:262-4 pubmed publisher..e. to indicate general perceptions on priorities without defining the allocation of resources in a precise fashion. This use of MCDA can have far-reaching and constructive influences on policy formulation. ..
- Samb B, Evans T, Dybul M, Atun R, Moatti J, Nishtar S, et al. An assessment of interactions between global health initiatives and country health systems. Lancet. 2009;373:2137-69 pubmed publisher..If adjustments to the interactions between GHIs and country health systems will improve efficiency, equity, value for money, and outcomes in global public health, then these opportunities should not be missed. ..
- Smith A, Tapsoba P, Peshu N, Sanders E, Jaffe H. Men who have sex with men and HIV/AIDS in sub-Saharan Africa. Lancet. 2009;374:416-22 pubmed publisher..The belated response to MSM with HIV infection needs rapid and sustained national and international commitment to the development of appropriate interventions and action to reduce structural and social barriers to make these accessible. ..
- Arvidsson E, Andre M, Borgquist L, Lindstrom K, Carlsson P. Primary care patients' attitudes to priority setting in Sweden. Scand J Prim Health Care. 2009;27:123-8 pubmed publisher..The fact that males and younger patients are less negative to prioritizing may pave the way for a future dialogue between politicians and the general public. ..
- Youngkong S, Kapiriri L, Baltussen R. Setting priorities for health interventions in developing countries: a review of empirical studies. Trop Med Int Health. 2009;14:930-9 pubmed publisher..Methods for explicit priority-setting are developing, being reported and are verifiable and replicable and can potentially lead to solutions for ad hoc policy-making in health care in many developing countries. ..
- Cardoen S, Van Huffel X, Berkvens D, Quoilin S, Ducoffre G, Saegerman C, et al. Evidence-based semiquantitative methodology for prioritization of foodborne zoonoses. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2009;6:1083-96 pubmed publisher..Principally, this method of prioritization is of general interest as it can be applied for any other ranking exercise and in any country. ..
- Sibbald S, Singer P, Upshur R, Martin D. Priority setting: what constitutes success? A conceptual framework for successful priority setting. BMC Health Serv Res. 2009;9:43 pubmed publisher..The ten elements identified in this research provide guidance for decision makers and a common language to discuss priority setting success and work toward improving priority setting efforts. ..
- Ng V, Sargeant J. A stakeholder-informed approach to the identification of criteria for the prioritization of zoonoses in Canada. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e29752 pubmed publisher..The method presented in this paper has formulated a comprehensive list of criteria that can be used to inform future disease prioritization studies. ..
- Kellie S, Howard S. Global child health priorities: what role for paediatric oncologists?. Eur J Cancer. 2008;44:2388-96 pubmed publisher..international partnerships or 'twinning' programmes enhance local health care or detract from other public health priorities? What is ethical and what is possible? This review examines the health challenges faced by infants and ..
- McGaghie W, Issenberg S, Cohen E, Barsuk J, Wayne D. Translational educational research: a necessity for effective health-care improvement. Chest. 2012;142:1097-1103 pubmed publisher..National research priorities are served from translational educational research. National funding priorities should endorse the contribution and value of translational education research. ..
- Saxena R, Nagpal B, Das M, Srivastava A, Gupta S, Kumar A, et al. A spatial statistical approach to analyze malaria situation at micro level for priority control in Ranchi district, Jharkhand. Indian J Med Res. 2012;136:776-82 pubmed