Summary: Legal guarantee protecting the individual from attack on personal liberties, right to fair trial, right to vote, and freedom from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, or national origin. (from http://www.usccr.gov/ accessed 1/31/2003)
- Lee E, Brotman S. Identity, refugeeness, belonging: experiences of sexual minority refugees in Canada. Can Rev Sociol. 2011;48:241-74 pubmed..We conclude with an exploration of strategies for increasing protection of sexual minority refugees in Canada. ..
- Tabuteau D. [Decision-making in health]. Sante Publique. 2008;20:297-312 pubmed
- Flood M. "Fathers' rights" and the defense of paternal authority in Australia. Violence Against Women. 2010;16:328-47 pubmed publisher..They have attempted to discredit female victims of violence, to wind back the legal protections available to victims and the sanctions imposed on perpetrators, and to undermine services for the victims of men's violence. ..
- Matsuzawa A, Tamiya N, Wakino K. [The current situation regarding guarantees of legal rights to social welfare and nursing care in Japan: based on an analysis of adjudications spanning the period 1960 to 2005]. Nihon Koshu Eisei Zasshi. 2009;56:411-7 pubmed..The development and operation of a legal system which guarantees the rights of the elderly and handicapped is absolutely imperative. ..
- Bosquet A, Medjkane A, Voitel Warneke D, Vinceneux P, Mahe I. The vote of acute medical inpatients: a prospective study. J Aging Health. 2009;21:699-712 pubmed publisher..When patients with severe cognitive impairment vote, there is a potential risk of vote diversion. Voting procedures should be improved to give inpatients easier access to the ballot while protecting them from the risk of fraud. ..
- Zubaran C. Balancing the act: The international migration of medical graduates. Monash Bioeth Rev. 2011;29:05.1-12 pubmed..Continued research on this health care topic is required in order to identify the major factors that play a role in this process. ..
- Yelland J, Sutherland G, Brown S. Women's experience of discrimination in Australian perinatal care: the double disadvantage of social adversity and unequal care. Birth. 2012;39:211-20 pubmed publisher..Developing approaches to perinatal care that incorporate the capacity to respond to the needs of vulnerable women and families requires far-reaching changes to the organization and provision of care. ..
- Pieśniak D, Jankowski Z, Raszeja S. [Estimation of medical protocol correctness in the light of opinions issued as ordered by the judiciary or prosecution authorities]. Pol Merkur Lekarski. 2007;23:47-51 pubmed..160 of the Polish Penal Code). There are more and more cases in which the adverse effects endangering patient's health or life result from negligence rather than from some medical malpractice. ..
- Gatoff B, Harper C, Joyson R, Moselhi M, Stanton S. Call for support. Br Dent J. 2007;203:228 pubmed
- Hoewe J, Zeldes G. Overturning anti-miscegenation laws: news media coverage of the Lovings' legal case against the state of Virginia. J Black Stud. 2012;43:427-43 pubmed..by The New York Times, Washington Post and Times-Herald, and Chicago Tribune of the progression of the landmark civil rights case of Loving v...
- Morris D, Parker G. Indiana v. Davis: revisiting due process rights of permanently incompetent defendants. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law. 2009;37:380-5 pubmed..In this analysis of Indiana v. Davis, the facts of the case and the court's rationale for its decision are discussed. This unique ruling is considered in light of the questions resolved and still unanswered since Jackson v. Indiana. ..
- Tovino S. Functional neuroimaging and the law: trends and directions for future scholarship. Am J Bioeth. 2007;7:44-56 pubmed..In this article, I organize, examine and refine a narrow class of the burgeoning neurotransdiscipline scholarship; that is, scholarship at the interface of law and functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI). ..
- Wellesley K. Redundant nurse defends mothers' rights. Interview by Petra Kendall-Raynor. Nurs Stand. 2007;21:15 pubmed
- Palmer D. "Every morning before you open the door you have to watch for that brown envelope": complexities and challenges of undertaking oral history with Ethiopian forced migrants in London, UK. Oral Hist Rev. 2010;37:35-53 pubmed..The oral history approach for this research therefore ensured that the experiential knowledge of the Ethiopian forced migrant participants was given space, authenticity, and validity. ..
- Weber M. AAPL guideline for forensic evaluation of psychiatric disabilities: a disability law perspective. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law. 2008;36:558-62 pubmed..Psychiatrists would do well to consider the role of social barriers when using the Guideline in making disability-related examinations. ..
- Sonnicksen J. Dementia and representative democracy: Exploring challenges and implications for democratic citizenship. Dementia (London). 2016;15:330-42 pubmed publisher..The intention is to begin to identify paths for ensuring representation, inclusion and participation for those who have dementia. ..
- Dimond B. What are your rights?. Nurs Times. 2007;103:13 pubmed
- Parmet W. The individual mandate: implications for public health law. J Law Med Ethics. 2011;39:401-13 pubmed publisher..The article concludes by arguing that public health policymakers need to know more about the unintended political and legal costs of mandates. ..
- Barnett R. Scrutiny Land: Scrutiny Land is the place where government needs to justify to a court its restrictions on the liberties of the people. Mich Law Rev. 2008;106:1479-500 pubmed..Texas: a general presumption of liberty. Not only is such an approach practical, it is also more consistent with the text and original meaning of the Constitution than is the Glucksburg Two-Step. ..
- Tang K. Taking older people's rights seriously: the role of international law. J Aging Soc Policy. 2008;20:99-117 pubmed
- González Jurado M. [The same law for all citizens]. Rev Enferm. 2007;30:8-10 pubmed..Included in the articles of this law are important improvements for informal caretakers, that is those persons who have the responsibility to care for a relative who must face life suffering from dependency on others. ..
- Cooley C. Equality and choice in palliative care. Int J Palliat Nurs. 2007;13:204 pubmed
- Selekman J. Homosexuality in children and/or their parents. Pediatr Nurs. 2007;33:453-7 pubmed
- Newland J. Protecting Americans against genetic discrimination. Nurse Pract. 2008;33:5 pubmed
- Casavola F. The legal basis of the right to rehabilitation in the Italian Constitution. J Nephrol. 2008;21 Suppl 13:S30-1 pubmed
- Pearl M, Galupo M. Development and validation of the attitudes toward same-sex marriage scale. J Homosex. 2007;53:117-34 pubmed..ATSM scores followed predicted correlational patterns with select demographics, including educational attainment, religiosity, and political conservatism. The usefulness of this new measure in survey research is discussed. ..
- Parish C. Department of Health hits back at 'inaccuracies' in CRE findings. Nurs Stand. 2007;22:13-4 pubmed
- Hodgson J. The UK's Supreme Court: how it works and why it exists. Br J Nurs. 2010;19:194-5 pubmed..e. Parliament and the Executive. ..
- Rosenberger R. [Changes in clinical standards and the need for adjusting legal standards of care from the point of view of civil law]. Z Arztl Fortbild Qualitatssich. 2007;101:537-40 pubmed..What remains to be seen is whether there will be an increased attempt to minimise risk by "additionally purchasing health care services". ..
- Lewis D. Direct democracy and minority rights: same-sex marriage bans in the U.S. Soc Sci Q. 2011;92:364-83 pubmed..Conclusion. The findings support the majoritarian critique of direct democracy, suggesting that the rights of minority groups are at relatively higher risk under systems with direct democracy. ..
- Kendall Raynor P. Two days a week to bring the NHS into line. Nurs Stand. 2007;21:12-3 pubmed
- Smith E, Malone R. Military exceptionalism or tobacco exceptionalism: how civilian health leaders' beliefs may impede military tobacco control efforts. Am J Public Health. 2013;103:599-604 pubmed publisher..A tobacco-free military is unlikely to be achieved without military-civilian partnerships that include educating civilian health leaders about military policy development and implementation. ..
- McMahon B, Roessler R, Rumrill P, Hurley J, West S, Chan F, et al. Hiring discrimination against people with disabilities under the ADA: characteristics of charging parties. J Occup Rehabil. 2008;18:122-32 pubmed publisher..More outreach regarding ADA rights appears indicated for individuals who share the aforementioned characteristics. ..
- McMahon B, Hurley J, West S, Chan F, Roessler R, Rumrill P. A comparison of EEOC closures involving hiring versus other prevalent discrimination issues under the Americans with Disabilities Act. J Occup Rehabil. 2008;18:106-11 pubmed publisher..This finding contradicts the assumption that hiring is an "invisible process." Considering that the EEOC makes merit determinations at a competitive rate, it is clear that hiring is sufficiently transparent. ..
- Perrin P, Madanat H, Barnes M, Carolan A, Clark R, Ivins N, et al. Health education's role in framing pornography as a public health issue: local and national strategies with international implications. Promot Educ. 2008;15:11-8 pubmed publisher..The growing phenomenon of Internet pornography use is discussed in depth, and specific policy ideas pertaining to Internet pornography are presented from a public health perspective. ..
- Graydon M. "Kids not rights, is their craving": sex education, gay rights, and the threat of gay teachers. Can Rev Sociol. 2011;48:313-39 pubmed..After the 1977 murder of Emanuel Jaques and the publication of Gerald Hannon's "Men Loving Boys, Loving Men" article, anti-gay sentiment in Toronto exploded, temporarily halting the progress of gay rights. ..
- Sudo F, Salles A, de Santiago C. What are the boundaries of legal guardianship in Alzheimer's disease? An evidence-based update in the context of the Brazilian Civil Code. Rev Bras Psiquiatr. 2016;38:61-4 pubmed publisher..introduced the concept of "limited guardianship," applied to cases in which incapacity to exercise civil rights is partial...
- Deshazo R, Parker S. The Underappreciated Doctors of The American Civil Rights Movement. Part I: Theodore Roosevelt Mason Howard, MD. Am J Med Sci. 2017;354:17-21 pubmed publisher..most of the 25 or so black physicians who had not already left Mississippi took risks to become active in civil rights locally and nationally. One of the first was T.R.M...
- Lilie H. [Medical malpractice and preliminary criminal proceedings]. Z Evid Fortbild Qual Gesundhwes. 2008;102:529-34; discussion 545, 606-8 pubmed..In most cases these expert medical opinions are decisive in the outcome of these proceedings. ..
- Dittmann V, Hausmann R. [Reproach of malpractice - legal procedure and possible consequences]. Ther Umsch. 2008;65:389-93 pubmed publisher..In addition to a criminal proceeding a civil law liability can follow on proved malpractice. The important steps of legal proceeding and their consequences are represented. ..
- Diamond A. Working rights in the balance. Nurs Stand. 2008;22:28 pubmed
- Dees R. Better brains, better selves? The ethics of neuroenhancements. Kennedy Inst Ethics J. 2007;17:371-95 pubmed..The result is that very few uses of these drugs are morally suspect and that most uses are morally permissible. ..
- Karger H, Rose S. Revisiting the Americans with Disabilities Act after two decades. J Soc Work Disabil Rehabil. 2010;9:73-86 pubmed publisher..In addition, the article investigates abuse of the ADA, its economic impact, and the problems in defining a disability. Although the ADA is continuing to evolve, it requires significant change to live up to its magnificent promise. ..
- Hall D, Matz D, Wood W. Why don't we practice what we preach? A meta-analytic review of religious racism. Pers Soc Psychol Rev. 2010;14:126-39 pubmed publisher..review of past research evaluated the link between religiosity and racism in the United States since the Civil Rights Act. Religious racism partly reflects intergroup dynamics...
- Holliday B. The history and visions of African American psychology: multiple pathways to place, space, and authority. Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol. 2009;15:317-37 pubmed publisher..This article also presents a chronological timeline of major events in the history of African American psychology. ..
- Moushon M, Asher G. Preventing wrongful discharge: know your facts. Nurs Manage. 2007;38:18, 20, 22 passim pubmed