Summary: The provision of monetary resources including money or capital and credit; obtaining or furnishing money or capital for a purchase or enterprise and the funds so obtained. (From Random House Unabridged Dictionary, 2d ed.)
- Pronyk P, Hargreaves J, Morduch J. Microfinance programs and better health: prospects for sub-Saharan Africa. JAMA. 2007;298:1925-7 pubmed
- Khalsa P, Pearson N. Financial support for research training and career development in complementary and alternative medicine from the National Institutes of Health. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2007;30:483-90 pubmed
- Senanayake P, Hamm S. Sexual and reproductive health funding: donors and restrictions. Lancet. 2004;363:70 pubmed
- Helene A, Xavier G. Financial support of graduate programs in Brazil: quo vadis?. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2006;39:839-49 pubmed..To reverse this trend, we propose the development of sectorial funding for Brazilian graduate programs to guarantee the availability and continuity of financial support for this strategic activity.
- Attaran A, Sachs J. Defining and refining international donor support for combating the AIDS pandemic. Lancet. 2001;357:57-61 pubmed
- Steinbrook R. Guidance for guidelines. N Engl J Med. 2007;356:331-3 pubmed
- Day M. UK drug companies must disclose funding of patients' groups. BMJ. 2006;332:69 pubmed
- Krimsky S, Rothenberg L. Financial interest and its disclosure in scientific publications. JAMA. 1998;280:225-6 pubmed..The authors believe that the scientific community and the public will be best served by open publication of financial disclosures for readers and reviewers to evaluate. ..
- Burton B. Drug companies told that sponsoring patients' groups might help win approval for their products. BMJ. 2005;331:1359 pubmed
- Perlis R, Perlis C, Wu Y, Hwang C, Joseph M, Nierenberg A. Industry sponsorship and financial conflict of interest in the reporting of clinical trials in psychiatry. Am J Psychiatry. 2005;162:1957-60 pubmed..Author conflict of interest appears to be prevalent among psychiatric clinical trials and to be associated with a greater likelihood of reporting a drug to be superior to placebo. ..
- Krimsky S, Rothenberg L. Conflict of interest policies in science and medical journals: editorial practices and author disclosures. Sci Eng Ethics. 2001;7:205-18 pubmed
- Rosenberg N, Siegel M. Use of corporate sponsorship as a tobacco marketing tool: a review of tobacco industry sponsorship in the USA, 1995-99. Tob Control. 2001;10:239-46 pubmed
- Crisp B, Swerissen H. Critical processes for creating health-promoting sporting environments in Australia. Health Promot Int. 2003;18:145-52 pubmed..We conclude that such changes are difficult to achieve, especially in the absence of a programmatic approach to health promotion. ..
- Bekelman J, Li Y, Gross C. Scope and impact of financial conflicts of interest in biomedical research: a systematic review. JAMA. 2003;289:454-65 pubmed..Financial relationships among industry, scientific investigators, and academic institutions are widespread. Conflicts of interest arising from these ties can influence biomedical research in important ways. ..
- Pronyk P, Hargreaves J, Kim J, Morison L, Phetla G, Watts C, et al. Effect of a structural intervention for the prevention of intimate-partner violence and HIV in rural South Africa: a cluster randomised trial. Lancet. 2006;368:1973-83 pubmed..Social and economic development interventions have the potential to alter risk environments for HIV and intimate-partner violence in southern Africa. ..
- Choudhry N, Stelfox H, Detsky A. Relationships between authors of clinical practice guidelines and the pharmaceutical industry. JAMA. 2002;287:612-7 pubmed..Fifty-eight percent had received financial support to perform research and 38% had served as employees or consultants for a pharmaceutical company...
- Coyle S. Physician-industry relations. Part 2: organizational issues. Ann Intern Med. 2002;136:403-6 pubmed..The American College of Physicians--American Society of Internal Medicine's core ethical principles for external funding and relationships serve as an example. ..
- Odland R. Financial support for research in otolaryngology. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2001;124:155-9 pubmed..Computer-assisted surveys are an effective method of tracking funding for research in otolaryngology and other specialties. CAMS may be a valuable tool for monitoring efforts to improve funding resources for otolaryngology. ..
- Gross C, Gupta A, Krumholz H. Disclosure of financial competing interests in randomised controlled trials: cross sectional review. BMJ. 2003;326:526-7 pubmed
- Sittig D, Singh H. Legal, ethical, and financial dilemmas in electronic health record adoption and use. Pediatrics. 2011;127:e1042-7 pubmed publisher..These actions can help identify and prioritize solutions to the key legal, ethical, and financial dilemmas discussed, so that widespread, safe, effective, interoperable EHRs can help transform health care. ..
- Lob Levyt J. Vaccines for the poor. An interview with Julian Lob-Levyt. Bull World Health Organ. 2008;86:427-8 pubmed
- Mershed M, Busse R, van Ginneken E. Healthcare financing in Syria: satisfaction with the current system and the role of national health insurance--a qualitative study of householders' views. Int J Health Plann Manage. 2012;27:167-79 pubmed publisher..Installing a quasi non-governmental organisation as manager of the insurance system under the stewardship of the Ministry of Health could provide a compromise acceptable to the people. ..
- Abu Zaineh M, Mataria A, Luchini S, Moatti J. Equity in health care finance in Palestine: the triple effects revealed. J Health Econ. 2009;28:1071-80 pubmed publisher..The paper offers policy recommendations to limit the existing inequalities in the system and to enhance the capacity of the governmental insurance scheme. ..
- Konrad R, Bezchlibnyk Butler K, Wodoslawsky M. Allocation of aid for health institutions in Ukraine: implications from a case study of Chornobyl (Chernobyl) area hospitals. Int J Health Serv. 2009;39:623-41 pubmed..Through an exhaustive study of four representative health institutions across Ukraine, the authors identify how donor organizations can achieve their aid objectives and work within the country's health infrastructure. ..
- Brown S. Developing business opportunities from concept to end point for craniofacial surgeons. J Craniofac Surg. 2012;23:298-300 pubmed publisher..The business pathway to bring a concept to clinical care requires knowledge, mentoring, and a team of experts in business and patent law. ..
- Loftis B. It all starts at the beginning. J Am Coll Dent. 2009;76:31-3 pubmed
- Wallace B, Macentee M, Harrison R, Hole R, Mitton C. Community dental clinics: providers' perspectives. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2013;41:193-203 pubmed publisher..within community health centres, although they doubted the sustainability of the clinics without reliable financial support from public funds...
- Dancy N, Dutcher G. HIV/AIDS information outreach: a community-based approach. J Med Libr Assoc. 2007;95:323-9 pubmed..NLM will continue to promote the AIDS Community Information Outreach Program to encourage community organizations to design local projects for their specific communities. ..
- Rothman K. Commentary: Epidemiology still ascendant. Int J Epidemiol. 2007;36:710-1 pubmed
- Kennedy P. The First Dental Home Project: an opportunity for Texas to improve access to dental care. Tex Dent J. 2007;124:1024 pubmed
- Alam K, Tasneem S, Oliveras E. Retention of female volunteer community health workers in Dhaka urban slums: a case-control study. Health Policy Plan. 2012;27:477-86 pubmed publisher..While the data indicate that financial incentives are the most commonly discussed factor regarding CHW retention in urban slums, the results also suggest other avenues that could be strengthened to improve their retention. ..
- Shekar M, Kakietek J, D Alimonte M, Rogers H, Eberwein J, Akuoku J, et al. Reaching the global target to reduce stunting: an investment framework. Health Policy Plan. 2017;32:657-668 pubmed publisher..The example of HIV scale-up over 2001-11 is instructive in identifying the factors that could drive such a global response to childhood stunting. ..
- Yotebieng M, Thirumurthy H, Moracco K, Kawende B, Chalachala J, Wenzi L, et al. Conditional cash transfers and uptake of and retention in prevention of mother-to-child HIV transmission care: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet HIV. 2016;3:e85-93 pubmed publisher..The cost-effectiveness of these incentives and their effect on HIV-free survival warrant further investigation. President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief and the National Institute of Health and Child Development. ..
- Pan R, Kaski K, Fortunato S. World citation and collaboration networks: uncovering the role of geography in science. Sci Rep. 2012;2:902 pubmed publisher..However, the average impact reveals a peculiar threshold effect: the scientific output of a country may reach an impact larger than the world average only if the country invests more than about 100,000 USD per researcher annually. ..
- Van Way C. The new relationship between physicians & industry. Mo Med. 2007;104:375-7 pubmed
- Ranganathan M, Lagarde M. Promoting healthy behaviours and improving health outcomes in low and middle income countries: a review of the impact of conditional cash transfer programmes. Prev Med. 2012;55 Suppl:S95-S105 pubmed publisher..However, CCTs need to be combined with supply-side interventions to maximise effects. Finally, some questions remain regarding their sustainability and cost-effectiveness. ..
- Barnett M. Oral health promotion by the oral health products industry: unrecognised and unappreciated?. Community Dent Health. 2008;25:2-3 pubmed..that aims to give something back to the profession, although at times the expectations of the amount of financial support available are markedly in excess of the actual amount based on dental product sales...
- Zarate E. [Innovation in research]. Rev Peru Med Exp Salud Publica. 2010;27:432-7 pubmed..Drucker of producing innovations with technology with T in capital letters, would on turn generate patents and social and economic profitability. ..
- Sherriff J, Griffiths D, Daube M. Cricket: notching up runs for food and alcohol companies?. Aust N Z J Public Health. 2010;34:19-23 pubmed publisher..Sponsorship is not covered by the voluntary codes of practice that address some forms of advertising. A new system of regulation is required to reduce this unacceptable level of exposure. ..
- Stiefel R, Dietrich B. Anesthesia subsidies: a strategic approach for financial executives. Healthc Financ Manage. 2009;63:70-6, 78 pubmed..Defines expected value. Aligns compensation Defines performance parameters. Establishes tracking metrics. ..
- Grant Braham B, Britton J. Motor racing, tobacco company sponsorship, barcodes and alibi marketing. Tob Control. 2012;21:529-35 pubmed publisher..The Ferrari 'barcode' designs are alibi Marlboro logos and hence constitute advertising prohibited by the 2005 EU Tobacco Advertising Directive. ..
- Ellison J, Hennekens C, Wang J, Lundberg G, Sulkes D. Low rates of reporting commercial bias by physicians following online continuing medical education activities. Am J Med. 2009;122:875-8 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that about 93% of physician participants affirmatively claim to perceive no commercial bias following online CME activities, over 99% if no opinion is included, overall and regardless of funding source. ..
- Harris B, Nxumalo N, Ataguba J, Govender V, Chersich M, Goudge J. Social solidarity and civil servants' willingness for financial cross-subsidization in South Africa: implications for health financing reform. J Public Health Policy. 2011;32 Suppl 1:S162-83 pubmed publisher..Understanding social relationships, identities, and shared meanings is important for any reform striving toward universal coverage. ..
- Ross H, Stoklosa M. Development assistance for global tobacco control. Tob Control. 2012;21:465-70 pubmed publisher..Several mechanisms to achieve this goal are proposed. ..
- Belkin G, Yusim A, Anbarasan D, Bernstein C. Teaching "global mental health": psychiatry residency directors' attitudes and practices regarding international opportunities for psychiatry residents. Acad Psychiatry. 2011;35:400-3 pubmed publisher..RTD respondents endorsed the value of international experiences during residency, but their availability and educational impact are not fully supported. ..
- Ranasinghe K, Chan T, Yaralagadda P. Information support for health information management in regional Sri Lanka: health managers' perspectives. Health Inf Manag. 2012;41:20-6 pubmed..These findings are consistent with similar research in other developing countries and reinforce the need for further research to verify causes of poor performance and to design strategic reforms to improve HIS in regional Sri Lanka. ..
- Lin J, Lin L. Governmental disability welfare expenditure and national economic growth from 1991 to 2006 in Taiwan. Res Dev Disabil. 2009;30:481-5 pubmed publisher..Finally, the author emphasizes that government should examine the long term effects of welfare budget allocation shifting from central government to local government to ensure the right of people with disabilities. ..
- Blum J, Freeman K, Dart R, Cooper R. Requirements and definitions in conflict of interest policies of medical journals. JAMA. 2009;302:2230-4 pubmed publisher..Among journals, there was substantial variation in policies for solicitation of author COIs and in definitions of COI. ..