Genomes and Genes
Summary: The obtaining and management of funds for institutional needs and responsibility for fiscal affairs.
- Knutson B, Bossaerts P. Neural antecedents of financial decisions. J Neurosci. 2007;27:8174-7 pubmed..These findings have implications for predicting choices and for building a physiologically constrained theory of decision-making. ..
- Dare L, Reeler A. Health systems financing: putting together the "back office". BMJ. 2005;331:759-62 pubmed
- Griffith H, Belue K, Sicola A, Krzywanski S, Zamrini E, Harrell L, et al. Impaired financial abilities in mild cognitive impairment: a direct assessment approach. Neurology. 2003;60:449-57 pubmed..However, existing diagnostic criteria for MCI should be applied flexibly to include mild impairments in higher order activities of daily life such as financial capacity. ..
- Mannakkara S, Wilkinson S. Build back better principles for economic recovery: case study of the Victorian bushfires. J Bus Contin Emer Plan. 2012;6:164-73 pubmed
- Guglielmo W. Selling your practice in a buyer's market. Med Econ. 2008;85:20-2, 25-6 pubmed
- GALARRAGA O, Bertozzi S. Stakeholders' opinions and expectations of the Global Fund and their potential economic implications. AIDS. 2008;22 Suppl 1:S7-S15 pubmed publisher..Joint efforts to address perceived performance gaps may improve future performance and positively influence investment levels and economic viability. ..
- Piskorowski W, Bailit H, McGowan T, Krell R. Dental school and community clinic financial arrangements. J Dent Educ. 2011;75:S42-47 pubmed..These funds are used to cover program costs and enrich the curriculum. Revenue-sharing with community clinics and practices helps to ensure program longevity and is an increasingly significant source of school revenues. ..
- West D, Costello M, Ramirez B. Privatization and management development in the healthcare sector of Georgia. World Health Popul. 2011;12:14-23 pubmed..Health-management education concentrations were developed and implemented along with several short courses to meet market demand for trained leaders and managers. ..
- Leiter A, Theurl E. The convergence of health care financing structures: empirical evidence from OECD-countries. Eur J Health Econ. 2012;13:7-18 pubmed publisher..This conclusion also holds when we look at smaller subgroups of countries and shorter time periods. However, we find evidence that countries do not move towards a common mean and that the rate of convergence is decreasing over time. ..
- Moynihan J, Murphy J. Linking technology with processes for payment collection. Healthc Financ Manage. 2009;63:42-5 pubmed..Use the optimal technology to access payment networks and the banking system. Develop and implement a payment training program for patient access associates and other appropriate staff. ..
- Core J, Donaldson T. An economic and ethical approach to charity and to charity endowments. Rev Soc Econ. 2010;68:261-84 pubmed
- Marouf F. Holding the World Bank accountable for leakage of funds from Africa's health sector. Health Hum Rights. 2010;12:95-108 pubmed
- Dodd N. 'Strange money': risk, finance and socialized debt. Br J Sociol. 2011;62:175-94 pubmed publisher..The ultimate danger, according to Strange, is the 'death of money'. The paper concludes by exploring the implications of the distinction for sociological arguments about the changing nature of money. ..
- Hassall C, Silver A, Turk D, Krigolson O. We are more selfish than we think: The endowment effect and reward processing within the human medial-frontal cortex. Q J Exp Psychol (Hove). 2016;69:1676-86 pubmed publisher..Importantly, our findings provide additional evidence for a self-ownership bias in cognitive processing and further demonstrate the insensitivity of the medial-frontal reward system to gambles for another. ..
- Shorten T, Taylor M, Spicer N, Mounier Jack S, McCoy D. The International Health Partnership Plus: rhetoric or real change? Results of a self-reported survey in the context of the 4th High Level Forum on Aid Effectiveness in Busan. Global Health. 2012;8:13 pubmed publisher..But there is a lack of progress in the use of countries' financial management and procurement systems, and in the integration of duplicative performance reporting frameworks and ..
- Sonnemann U, Camerer C, Fox C, Langer T. How psychological framing affects economic market prices in the lab and field. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:11779-84 pubmed publisher..We conclude that psychological biases in individual judgment can affect market prices, and understanding those effects requires combining a variety of methods from psychology and economics. ..
- Yarkony K. Personal finance: there are no shortcuts to financial security. AORN J. 2009;90:845-50 pubmed publisher..Nurses can use the nursing process of assessment, diagnosis, planning, implementation, and evaluation to help them make sound financial decisions. ..
- Katsuki M. [Research activities and their funding at universities ]. Seikagaku. 2008;80:615 pubmed
- Thoen F, Wade D. Living with GASB 45: how to manage liabilities associated with retiree medical benefits. Benefits Q. 2008;24:39-45 pubmed..Now is the time for employees and employers to work together and make difficult choices for keeping retiree medical costs and GASB 45 liabilities manageable. ..
- Chan T, Luk J, Liu A, Chiu P, Chan F, Chu L. Financial abuse in a mentally incapacitated old man. Hong Kong Med J. 2009;15:213-6 pubmed..The Guardianship Board appointed the Director of Social Welfare as his public guardian. This case illustrates that hospital staff should be alert to potential elder abuse to ensure timely protection of potential victims. ..
- McLaughlin N. The 2008 Greeders' Cup. Distress in financial markets can be blamed on fiscal irresponsibility. Mod Healthc. 2008;38:41 pubmed
- Robertson B, Newitt Z. Dispositional receivables management can improve collections. Revenue-cycle Strateg. 2008;5:1-4 pubmed
- Chan C. Culture, state and varieties of capitalism: a comparative study of life insurance markets in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Br J Sociol. 2012;63:97-122 pubmed publisher..Specifically, the presence of competitive domestic players alongside transnational corporations is more likely to produce varieties of capitalism. ..
- Greene J. Post 9/11 federal disaster funds: where did the $7 billion trickle down?. Ann Emerg Med. 2008;52:263-5 pubmed
- Can O, Alp E. Valuation of environmental improvements in a specially protected marine area: a choice experiment approach in Göcek Bay, Turkey. Sci Total Environ. 2012;439:291-8 pubmed publisher..8TL/month and tourists are willing to pay 11.2TL/tour. With this study, it has been seen that the results obtained will pave the way for new policies and measures against the deterioration of the marine environment of Göcek Bay. ..
- Brocklehurst P, Tickle M. Is skill mix profitable in the current NHS dental contract in England?. Br Dent J. 2011;210:303-8 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this short paper is to examine whether skill mix is profitable for general dental practices under the existing NHS contract in England. ..
- Hall M, McCue M. Insurers' medical loss ratios and quality improvement spending in 2011. Issue Brief (Commonw Fund). 2013;14:1-9 pubmed..The median quality improvement expenditure per member among nonprofit and provider-sponsored insurers was more than the median among for-profit and non-provider-sponsored insurers. ..
- Boggs S. Identifying revenue cycle management opportunities. J Med Pract Manage. 2010;26:70-2 pubmed..Physicians need to be paid in a timely fashion for each service they provide, and they need to be sure the payments they receive are correct. ..
- Arrow K, Levin S. Intergenerational resource transfers with random offspring numbers. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:13702-6 pubmed publisher..The results imply that wealth (stock of resources) will ultimately have a log-normal distribution. ..
- Holmes C, Sikazwe I, Raelly R, Freeman B, Wambulawae I, Silwizya G, et al. Managing multiple funding streams and agendas to achieve local and global health and research objectives: lessons from the field. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2014;65 Suppl 1:S32-5 pubmed publisher..This article details successful approaches used by the newly independent nongovernmental organization, the Centre for Infectious Disease Research in Zambia. ..
- Arber S, Fenn K, Meadows R. Subjective financial well-being, income and health inequalities in mid and later life in Britain. Soc Sci Med. 2014;100:12-20 pubmed publisher..Research on health inequalities should pay greater attention to the link between subjective financial hardship and ill-health, especially during periods of greater economic difficulties and financial austerity. ..
- Rosenau P, Lal L, Lako C. Managing pay for performance: aligning social science research with budget predictability. J Healthc Manag. 2012;57:391-404; discussion 404-5 pubmed..The article concludes by recommending an evidence-based P4P approach for practitioners that can be implemented without large upfront investment. More research on this topic is also advised. ..
- Morris Thompson T, Singh S, Scarsbrook K, Marks Maran D. Personal health budgets: common myths and misconceptions. Br J Nurs. 2013;22:395-6, 398-9 pubmed..Nurses in the community are having a pivotal role in their implementation. This article addresses a number of negative and often misleading myths about PHBs that have been publicised in some areas of the professional press. ..
- Feng L, Li B, Podobnik B, Preis T, Stanley H. Linking agent-based models and stochastic models of financial markets. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:8388-93 pubmed publisher..Our approach provides a possible behavioral explanation for stochastic models for financial systems in general and provides a method to parameterize such models from market data rather than from statistical fitting. ..
- Holtz Eakin D, Ramlet M. Analysis & commentary. Health care reform is likely to widen federal budget deficits, not reduce them. Health Aff (Millwood). 2010;29:1136-41 pubmed publisher..A more comprehensive and realistic projection suggests that the new reform law will raise the deficit by more than $500 billion during the first ten years and by nearly $1.5 trillion in the following decade. ..
- Serikawa S, Albieri A, Bonugli G, Greghi M. Analysis of the workload of bank tellers of a Brazilian public institution. Work. 2012;41 Suppl 1:5522-4 pubmed publisher..Thereby it was found that the employees tend to adopt strategies trying to reduce the impacts of the excess of workload, in order to regulate it. ..
- Harrison F, El Mouden C. Exploring the effects of working for endowments on behaviour in standard economic games. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27623 pubmed publisher..Our data are not unduly worrying, but they do suggest that further exploration is needed if we are to make general inferences about human behaviour from the results of structured economic games. ..
- Valentine N, Kirby K, Wolf K. The CNO/CFO partnership: navigating the changing landscape. Nurs Econ. 2011;29:201-10 pubmed
- Goetz K, Janney M, Ramsey K. When nursing takes ownership of financial outcomes: achieving exceptional financial performance through leadership, strategy, and execution. Nurs Econ. 2011;29:173-82 pubmed..While structures, processes, and tools may serve as the means to achieve a target, it is leadership's responsibility to set the right goal and motivate others. ..
- Zuckerman A. The next wave of mergers and acquisitions. What's your organization's position?. Healthc Financ Manage. 2009;63:60-3 pubmed..If your organization can and should be a consolidator, identify the likely and desired opportunities. If your organization cannot or should not go it alone, start to look for a partner. ..
- Collier H, Swanson J, Schwarz P, Harvey A, Rall M. Medical school debt load of graduate anesthesiologists at a single medical school campus, 1982-2007. J Med Pract Manage. 2009;24:322-5 pubmed..Both cohorts reported under-funding retirement plans and children's education to service debt. Few of either cohort chose practice location because of debt load. ..
- Gu X, Tam P. Casino taxation in macao: an economic perspective. J Gambl Stud. 2011;27:587-605 pubmed publisher..Pushing for tax variability may create policy instability, business uncertainty, and unpredictable prosperity in the long term. ..
- Gerrard R, Tsanakas A. Failure probability under parameter uncertainty. Risk Anal. 2011;31:727-44 pubmed publisher..We furthermore show that the two approaches are consistent in achieving the required failure probability. Finally, we briefly discuss the effects of data pooling and its systemic risk implications. ..
- Boccia D, Hargreaves J, Lonnroth K, Jaramillo E, Weiss J, Uplekar M, et al. Cash transfer and microfinance interventions for tuberculosis control: review of the impact evidence and policy implications. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2011;15 Suppl 2:37-49 pubmed publisher..Cash transfer and microfinance interventions can positively impact TB risk factors. Evaluation studies are urgently needed to assess the impact of these social protection interventions on actual TB indicators. ..
- Clarkson E, Bhatia S. Management and marketing for the general practice dental office. Dent Clin North Am. 2008;52:495-505, viii pubmed publisher..Managing a practice requires tracking its financial health. Economic statistics measure the effect of management decisions that mark the direction of a dental practice. ..
- Debono R, Paul S, Heaton P. Children discharged against medical advice. Nurs Times. 2013;109:20-2 pubmed..It also discusses the legal implications of DAMA and offers some strategies for clinical practice. ..
- Humpel N, O Loughlin K, Snoke M, Kendig H. Australian baby boomers talk about the global financial crisis. Australas J Ageing. 2010;29:130-3 pubmed publisher..The volatility of financial and employment markets underscores the value of the Age pension. ..
- Villanueva Baldonado A, Barrett Sheridan S. Innovative solutions: sample financial management business plan: neurosurgical intensive care unit. Dimens Crit Care Nurs. 2010;29:222-9 pubmed publisherThis article describes one institution's intention to implement a financial management business plan for a neurosurgical intensive care unit in a level I trauma center...