Genomes and Genes
Summary: Specific practices for the prevention of disease or mental disorders in susceptible individuals or populations. These include HEALTH PROMOTION, including mental health; protective procedures, such as COMMUNICABLE DISEASE CONTROL; and monitoring and regulation of ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTANTS. Primary prevention is to be distinguished from secondary prevention, which is the prevention of complications or after-effects of a drug or surgical procedure, and tertiary prevention, the amelioration of the after-effects of a disease.
Publications354 found, 100 shown here
- Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease with a Mediterranean dietRamon Estruch
Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red de Fisiopatología de la Obesidad y Nutrición, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
N Engl J Med 368:1279-90. 2013..We conducted a randomized trial of this diet pattern for the primary prevention of cardiovascular events.
- Guidelines for the primary prevention of stroke: a guideline for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke AssociationLarry B Goldstein
American Heart Association American Stroke Association
Stroke 42:517-84. 2011..This guideline provides an overview of the evidence on established and emerging risk factors for stroke to provide evidence-based recommendations for the reduction of risk of a first stroke...
- Aspirin in the primary and secondary prevention of vascular disease: collaborative meta-analysis of individual participant data from randomised trialsColin Baigent
CTSU, Oxford University, Oxford, UK
Lancet 373:1849-60. 2009Low-dose aspirin is of definite and substantial net benefit for many people who already have occlusive vascular disease. We have assessed the benefits and risks in primary prevention.
- Statins for the primary prevention of cardiovascular diseaseFiona Taylor
Department of Non communicable Disease Epidemiology, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 1:CD004816. 2013..Previous reviews of the effects of statins have highlighted their benefits in people with CVD. The case for primary prevention was uncertain when the last version of this review was published (2011) and in light of new data an update ..
- Moving towards a population health approach to the primary prevention of common mental disordersFelice N Jacka
Deakin University, School of Medicine and Barwon Health, PO Box 281, Geelong 3220, Australia
BMC Med 10:149. 2012....
- Primary prevention of hypertension: clinical and public health advisory from The National High Blood Pressure Education ProgramPaul K Whelton
Department of Epidemiology and Medicine, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA, USA
JAMA 288:1882-8. 2002..The National High Blood Pressure Education Program Coordinating Committee published its first statement on the primary prevention of hypertension in 1993...
- Vitamin E in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease and cancer: the Women's Health Study: a randomized controlled trialI Min Lee
Division of Preventive Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
JAMA 294:56-65. 2005..Randomized trials do not generally support benefits of vitamin E, but there are few trials of long duration among initially healthy persons...
- Primary prevention of colorectal cancerAndrew T Chan
Gastrointestinal Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Gastroenterology 138:2029-2043.e10. 2010..Taken together, modifications in diet and lifestyle should substantially reduce the risk of colorectal cancer and could complement screening in reducing colorectal cancer incidence...
- Aspirin for primary prevention of cardiovascular events in people with diabetes: meta-analysis of randomised controlled trialsGiorgia De Berardis
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Epidemiology, Consorzio Mario Negri Sud, Via Nazionale 8 A, 66030 S Maria Imbaro, Italy
BMJ 339:b4531. 2009..To evaluate the benefits and harms of low dose aspirin in people with diabetes and no cardiovascular disease...
- The VITamin D and OmegA-3 TriaL (VITAL): rationale and design of a large randomized controlled trial of vitamin D and marine omega-3 fatty acid supplements for the primary prevention of cancer and cardiovascular diseaseJoAnn E Manson
Division of Preventive Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 900 Commonwealth Avenue East, Boston, MA 02215, United States
Contemp Clin Trials 33:159-71. 2012..vitamin D and marine omega-3 fatty acids may reduce risk for cancer or cardiovascular disease (CVD), but primary prevention trials with adequate dosing in general populations (i.e., unselected for disease risk) are lacking...
- Primary care: is there enough time for prevention?Kimberly S H Yarnall
Department of Community and Family Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Am J Public Health 93:635-41. 2003..We sought to determine the amount of time required for a primary care physician to provide recommended preventive services to an average patient panel...
- A pilot study of emollient therapy for the primary prevention of atopic dermatitisEric L Simpson
Department of Dermatology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239 4501, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 63:587-93. 2010..New research reveals the importance of the skin barrier in the development of AD and possibly food allergy and asthma. Correcting skin barrier defects from birth may prevent AD onset or moderate disease severity...
- Primary prevention of cardio-metabolic diseases in general practice: a Dutch survey of attitudes and working methods of general practitionersMarkus M J Nielen
NIVEL Netherlands Institute for Health Services Research, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur J Gen Pract 16:139-42. 2010To study the attitudes and working methods of general practitioners (GPs) in primary prevention of cardiovascular diseases, diabetes mellitus and chronic kidney diseases.
- Physical activity during leisure time and primary prevention of coronary heart disease: an updated meta-analysis of cohort studiesFrancesco Sofi
Department of Medical and Surgical Critical Care, Thrombosis Centre, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Careggi, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 15:247-57. 2008..The real magnitude of the association between physical activity during leisure time (LTPA) and primary prevention of coronary heart disease (CHD) has, however, not been completely defined.
- Primary prevention of gestational diabetes mellitus and large-for-gestational-age newborns by lifestyle counseling: a cluster-randomized controlled trialRiitta Luoto
UKK Institute for Health Promotion Research, Tampere, Finland
PLoS Med 8:e1001036. 2011..Our objective was to examine whether gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) or newborns' high birthweight can be prevented by lifestyle counseling in pregnant women at high risk of GDM...
- Primary prevention of overweight in children and adolescents: a meta-analysis of the effectiveness of interventions aiming to decrease sedentary behaviourAmy van Grieken
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center, P, O, Box 2040, 3000 CA, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 9:61. 2012..Studies need to increase follow-up time to estimate the sustainability of the intervention effects found...
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of probiotics for primary prevention: no clinical effects of Lactobacillus GG supplementationMatthias Volkmar Kopp
University Children s Hospital, Mathildenstrasse 1, D 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Pediatrics 121:e850-6. 2008The value of probiotics for primary prevention is controversial. Published trials vary considerably in study design and the applied probiotics, thereby limiting comparability of the results.
- Probiotics in primary prevention of atopic disease: a randomised placebo-controlled trialM Kalliomaki
Department of Paediatrics, University of Turku and Turku University Hospital, Finland
Lancet 357:1076-9. 2001..We assessed the effect on atopic disease of Lactobacillus GG (which is safe at an early age and effective in treatment of allergic inflammation and food allergy)...
- Effect of aspirin on mortality in the primary prevention of cardiovascular diseaseNina Raju
Haematology Unit, Queensland Pathology and Department of Internal Medicine, Prince Charles Hospital, Brisbane, Australia
Am J Med 124:621-9. 2011The lack of a mortality benefit of aspirin in prior meta-analyses of primary prevention trials of cardiovascular disease has contributed to uncertainty about the balance of benefits and risks of aspirin in primary prevention...
- Implementation of the NHS Health Checks programme: baseline assessment of risk factor recording in an urban culturally diverse settingAndrew R H Dalton
Department of Primary Care and Public Health, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, St Dunstan s Road, London, UK
Fam Pract 28:34-40. 2011..The potential workload implications of the programme for general practice are considerable, particularly in deprived culturally diverse settings...
- Achievement of treatment goals for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in clinical practice across Europe: the EURIKA studyJose R Banegas
Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, School of Medicine, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid IdiPAZ, Avda Arzobispo Morcillo 2, Madrid, Spain
Eur Heart J 32:2143-52. 2011Most studies on the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease (CVD) have been limited to patients at high CVD risk...
- Rosuvastatin for primary prevention in patients with European systematic coronary risk evaluation risk ≥ 5% or Framingham risk >20%: post hoc analyses of the JUPITER trial requested by European health authoritiesWolfgang Koenig
Department of Internal Medicine II Cardiology, University of Ulm Medical Center, Albert Einstein Allee 23, Ulm, Germany
Eur Heart J 32:75-83. 2011..approved the use of rosuvastatin to reduce first major cardiovascular events among 'high' global risk primary prevention patients defined either by Framingham risk score >20% or European systematic coronary risk evaluation (..
- Optimizing statin treatment for primary prevention of coronary artery diseaseRodney A Hayward
University of Michigan and Veteran Affairs Ann Arbor Healthcare System, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Ann Intern Med 152:69-77. 2010....
- European guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice: full text. Fourth Joint Task Force of the European Society of Cardiology and other societies on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice (constituted by representIan Graham
Department of Cardiology, The Adelaide and Meath Hospital, Tallaght, Dublin, Ireland
Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 14:S1-113. 2007
- Accrual and drop out in a primary prevention randomised controlled trial: qualitative studyHelen C Eborall
Department of Health Sciences, University of Leicester, UK
Trials 12:7. 2011..Limited research on these issues has been conducted on healthy individuals recruited for prevention trials in the community...
- Statins for the primary prevention of cardiovascular events in older adults: a review of the evidenceRobin Ali
Division of Geriatric Medicine, Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Am J Geriatr Pharmacother 5:52-63. 2007Although statins have been demonstrated to be beneficial for secondary prevention in the elderly, their use for primary prevention has not been well described.
- Refined analysis of the critical age ranges of childhood overweight: implications for primary preventionSascha W Hoffmann
Department of Sports Medicine, Disease Prevention and Rehabilitation, Faculty of Social Science, Media and Sport, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Obesity (Silver Spring) 20:2151-4. 2012..We therefore propose that psychosocial correlates may be related to the general life-time event around the age of entering school...
- Green and black tea for the primary prevention of cardiovascular diseaseLouise Hartley
Division of Health Sciences, Warwick Medical School, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 6:CD009934. 2013..There is increasing evidence that both green and black tea are beneficial for cardiovascular disease (CVD) prevention...
- Folic acid and primary prevention of birth defectsDomenica Taruscio
National Centre for Rare Diseases, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Biofactors 37:280-4. 2011..The Italian Network for Primary Prevention of BDs through FA Promotion has achieved a significant improvement in FA awareness and use in the ..
- Barriers to cardiovascular disease risk scoring and primary prevention in EuropeF D R Hobbs
Primary Care Clinical Sciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
QJM 103:727-39. 2010..A thorough, easy-to-use, and standardized tool for risk estimation would allow for improvements in the primary prevention of CVD.
- Risk factors and primary prevention of congenital Chagas disease in a nonendemic countryLaura Murcia
Unidad Regional de Medicina Tropical, Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital Universitario Virgen de la Arrixaca, Palmar Murcia, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 56:496-502. 2013....
- Evaluating the impact of population and high-risk strategies for the primary prevention of cardiovascular diseaseJonathan Emberson
Department of Primary Care and Population Sciences, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London NW3 2PF, UK
Eur Heart J 25:484-91. 2004To estimate the potential effectiveness of different "high-risk" and "population" approaches to the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease (CVD) in middle-aged British men, after correction for regression dilution bias.
- Lifestyle intervention for preventing weight gain in young adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of RCTsL Hebden
The University of Sydney, School of Molecular Bioscience, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Obes Rev 13:692-710. 2012..Future trials conducted over longer periods with larger samples are urgently required to develop effective programmes that will protect against weight gains in future generations...
- Primary prevention of skin cancer: a review of sun protection in Australia and internationallyWarren R Stanton
School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Queensland, St Lucia, Queensland 4072, Australia
Health Promot Int 19:369-78. 2004....
- Cardiovascular disease prevention with a multidrug regimen in the developing world: a cost-effectiveness analysisThomas A Gaziano
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02120, USA
Lancet 368:679-86. 2006..We therefore aimed to establish whether use of evidence-based multidrug regimens for patients at high risk for cardiovascular disease would be cost-effective in low-income and middle-income countries...
- Cost-effectiveness of the interventions in the primary prevention of diabetes among Asian Indians: within-trial results of the Indian Diabetes Prevention Programme (IDPP)Ambady Ramachandran
India Diabetes Research Foundation and Dr A Ramachandran s Diabetes Hospitals, Egmore, Chennai 600008, India
Diabetes Care 30:2548-52. 2007..The direct medical costs and cost-effectiveness of the interventions relative to the control group are reported here...
- Biomarkers and cardiovascular risk assessment for primary prevention: an updateLauren G Gilstrap
Cardiology Division and Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Clin Chem 58:72-82. 2012Interest in cardiovascular biomarkers in primary prevention has increased dramatically in the past decade...
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of interventions to prevent cardiovascular disease in VietnamDuc Anh Ha
Ministry of Health, 138A Giangvo, Hanoi, Vietnam
Health Policy Plan 26:210-22. 2011..The burden of CVD will continue to rise unless effective interventions for addressing its underlying risk factors are put in place...
- Excess risk attributable to traditional cardiovascular risk factors in clinical practice settings across Europe - The EURIKA StudyEliseo Guallar
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
BMC Public Health 11:704. 2011Physicians involved in primary prevention are key players in CVD risk control strategies, but the expected reduction in CVD risk that would be obtained if all patients attending primary care had their risk factors controlled according to ..
- Cancer prevention in the Asia Pacific regionKeun Young Yoo
Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 11:839-44. 2010..Moreover, countries with professionals and researchers with advanced cancer research, education, and training also need to contribute through international cooperation...
- Pasos Adelante: the effectiveness of a community-based chronic disease prevention programLisa K Staten
Southwest Center for Community Health Promotion, Mel and Enid Zuckerman Arizona College of Public Health, University of Arizona, Division of Health Promotion Sciences, Tucson, AZ 85719, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 2:A18. 2005Implementing programs that target primary prevention of chronic diseases is critical for at-risk populations...
- Preventive home care of frail older people: a review of recent case management studiesIngalill Rahm Hallberg
Department of Nursing Care, Lund University, Sweden
J Clin Nurs 13:112-20. 2004..Perhaps effects would be expected in all three areas and thus these should be included in evaluative studies in addition to measures for family and/or informal caregiver's strain and satisfaction...
- Measurement of C-reactive protein for the targeting of statin therapy in the primary prevention of acute coronary eventsP M Ridker
Center for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
N Engl J Med 344:1959-65. 2001..We hypothesized that statins might prevent coronary events in persons with elevated C-reactive protein levels who did not have overt hyperlipidemia...
- Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in nursing practice: focus on children and youth: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association Committee on Atherosclerosis, Hypertension, and Obesity in Youth of the Council on Cardiovascular DisLaura L Hayman
New York University, USA
Circulation 116:344-57. 2007
- Diagnosis, prevention, and management of eclampsiaBaha M Sibai
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Cincinnati, 231 Albert Sabin Way, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
Obstet Gynecol 105:402-10. 2005..Recommendations for diagnosis, prevention, management, and counseling of these women are provided based on results of recent studies and my own clinical experience...
- Rosuvastatin for primary prevention in older persons with elevated C-reactive protein and low to average low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels: exploratory analysis of a randomized trialRobert J Glynn
Division of Preventive Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Ann Intern Med 152:488-96, W174. 2010Randomized data on statins for primary prevention in older persons are limited, and the relative hazard of cardiovascular disease associated with an elevated cholesterol level weakens with advancing age.
- Challenges and opportunities for cardiovascular disease preventionManuel Franco
Department of Epidemiology, Atherothrombosis and Imaging, National Center for Cardiovascular Research, Madrid, Spain
Am J Med 124:95-102. 2011....
- Primary prevention of cardiovascular diseases with statin therapy: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsPaaladinesh Thavendiranathan
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
Arch Intern Med 166:2307-13. 2006..in secondary prevention of cardiovascular (CV) events and mortality is established, their value for primary prevention is less clear...
- Comparing impact and cost-effectiveness of primary prevention strategies for lipid-loweringMark J Pletcher
University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94107, USA
Ann Intern Med 150:243-54. 2009..Lipid-lowering therapy is costly but effective at reducing coronary heart disease (CHD) risk...
- A randomized trial of low-dose aspirin in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in womenPaul M Ridker
Division of Preventive Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, USA
N Engl J Med 352:1293-304. 2005..Randomized trials have shown that low-dose aspirin decreases the risk of a first myocardial infarction in men, with little effect on the risk of ischemic stroke. There are few similar data in women...
- Real-world effectiveness of a German school-based intervention for primary prevention of anorexia nervosa in preadolescent girlsKatharina Wick
Institute of Psychosocial Medicine and Psychotherapy, University Hospital, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Jena, Germany
Prev Med 52:152-8. 2011..We developed a German school-based intervention program ('PriMa') for the primary prevention of AN in preadolescent girls and assessed the effects in a sample of Thuringian girls.
- The ICD for primary prevention in patients with inherited cardiac diseases: indications, use, and outcome: a comparison with secondary preventionLouise R A Olde Nordkamp
Department of Cardiology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol 6:91-100. 2013..This study evaluates the efficacy and harm rate of ICD implantations for primary prevention compared with secondary prevention in inherited cardiac diseases.
- Aspirin for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease eventsCarrie W Nemerovski
Department of Pharmacy Services, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
Pharmacotherapy 32:1020-35. 2012..secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease is well established, but the clinical benefit of aspirin for primary prevention of CVD is less clear...
- The aspirin controversy in primary preventionNina C Raju
Haematology Unit, Pathology Queensland and Internal Medicine Unit, The Prince Charles Hospital, Brisbane, Australia
Curr Opin Cardiol 27:499-507. 2012Apparently conflicting meta-analysis results have led to renewed debate about the role of aspirin for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease...
- Relationship of lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A₂ mass and activity with incident vascular events among primary prevention patients allocated to placebo or to statin therapy: an analysis from the JUPITER trialPaul M Ridker
Center for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Clin Chem 58:877-86. 2012..Whether measures of Lp-PLA(2) mass or activity continue to predict risk after LDL-C reduction by statin therapy is uncertain...
- Blockade of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system (RAAS) for primary prevention of non-valvular atrial fibrillation: a systematic review and meta analysis of randomized controlled trialsRasha Khatib
Population Health Research Institute, Hamilton Health Sciences and McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Int J Cardiol 165:17-24. 2013..This review aims to assess the effectiveness of blockade of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system in the prevention of new onset atrial fibrillation...
- The reduction of disability in community-dwelling frail older people: design of a two-arm cluster randomized controlled trialSilke F Metzelthin
Department of Health Care and Nursing Science, School for Public Health and Primary Care CAPHRI, Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
BMC Public Health 10:511. 2010....
- Comparative effectiveness of antihypertensive medication for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease: systematic review and multiple treatments meta-analysisAtle Fretheim
Global Health Unit, Norwegian Knowledge Centre for the Health Services, Oslo, Norway
BMC Med 10:33. 2012..to answer the following research question: What are the relative effects of different classes of antihypertensive drugs in reducing the incidence of cardiovascular disease outcomes for healthy people at risk of cardiovascular disease?..
- 'Mediterranean' dietary pattern for the primary prevention of cardiovascular diseaseKaren Rees
Division of Health Sciences, Warwick Medical School, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK, CV4 7AL
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 8:CD009825. 2013..Later observational studies have confirmed the benefits of adherence to a Mediterranean dietary pattern on CVD risk factors. Clinical trial evidence is limited, and is mostly in secondary prevention...
- Primary prevention: exposure reduction, skin exposure and respiratory protectionDick Heederik
Division of Environmental Epidemiology, Institute for Risk Assessment Sciences, University of Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur Respir Rev 21:112-24. 2012Interventions for the primary prevention of occupational asthma have been reported in the medical literature, understanding the effectiveness of these efforts could help future interventions...
- The Drakensberg declaration on the control of rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease in AfricaBongani Mayosi
University of Cape Town, South Africa
S Afr Med J 96:246. 2006
- Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease: cost-effectiveness comparisonOscar H Franco
Department of Public Health, University Medical Center Rotterdam, 50 Dr Molewaterplein, 3000 CA Rotterdam, Zuid Holland
Int J Technol Assess Health Care 23:71-9. 2007The aim of this study was to evaluate the cost-effectiveness of four risk-lowering interventions (smoking cessation, antihypertensives, aspirin, and statins) in primary prevention of cardiovascular disease.
- [Periconceptional supplementation with folic acid for the primary prevention of congenital malformations]L Ronfani
Centro per la Salute del Bambino, Trieste
Pediatr Med Chir 26:105-11. 2004..containing folic acid, beginning one month before conception and continuing through the first trimester for primary prevention of neural tube defects and other congenital malformations...
- Low-dose aspirin for primary prevention of cardiovascular events in patients with diabetes: a meta-analysisStavros Stavrakis
Department of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, 73104, USA
Am J Med Sci 341:1-9. 2011The use of low-dose aspirin for primary prevention of cardiovascular events in patients with diabetes is recommended by existing guidelines, but definitive evidence supporting its efficacy is lacking...
- Meta-analysis of multiple primary prevention trials of cardiovascular events using aspirinAlfred A Bartolucci
Department of Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Am J Cardiol 107:1796-801. 2011Several meta-analyses have focused on determination of the effectiveness of aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) in primary prevention of cardiovascular (CV) events...
- How willing are the public to pay for anti-hypertensive drugs for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease: a survey in a Chinese cityJin Ling Tang
Chinese Cochrane Centre Hong Kong Branch, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
Int J Epidemiol 39:244-54. 2010Current recommendations on drug treatment of hypertension for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease are primarily determined by the evidence of effectiveness, disregard the resources available and values of people, and recommend a ..
- Difference in celiac disease risk between Swedish birth cohorts suggests an opportunity for primary preventionCecilia Olsson
Department of Food and Nutrition, Umea University, SE 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Pediatrics 122:528-34. 2008..The main aim of this study was to analyze celiac disease risk in epidemic and postepidemic birth cohorts up to preschool age, to explore further the opportunity for primary prevention.
- Atrial fibrillation in the 21st century: a current understanding of risk factors and primary prevention strategiesArthur R Menezes
Department of Cardiovascular Diseases, John Ochsner Heart and Vascular Institute, Ochsner Clinical School, The University of Queensland School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70121 2483, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 88:394-409. 2013..factors for AF and explore newer risk factors currently being investigated that may have implications in the primary prevention of AF...
- Environmental and occupational interventions for primary prevention of cancer: a cross-sectorial policy frameworkCarolina Espina
Department of Public Health and Environment, World Health Organization WHO, Geneva, Switzerland
Environ Health Perspect 121:420-6. 2013..6 million cancer deaths occur worldwide each year; 63% of cancer deaths occur in low- and middle-income countries. A substantial proportion of all cancers are attributable to carcinogenic exposures in the environment and the workplace...
- Gender differences in clinical outcome and primary prevention defibrillator benefit in patients with severe left ventricular dysfunction: a systematic review and meta-analysisPasquale Santangeli
Institute of Cardiology, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
Heart Rhythm 7:876-82. 2010Women are underrepresented in primary prevention implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) trials, and data on the benefit of ICD therapy in this subgroup are controversial.
- Statins in the primary prevention of cardiovascular diseaseZeljko Reiner
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Centre Zagreb, School of Medicine, University of Zagreb, Kispaticeva 12, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Nat Rev Cardiol 10:453-64. 2013..The use of these drugs for secondary prevention of CVD is well founded, but their expanding use in primary prevention--in individuals without documented CVD--has raised some concerns...
- Designing randomized, controlled trials aimed at preventing or delaying functional decline and disability in frail, older persons: a consensus reportLuigi Ferrucci
Clinical Research Branch, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:625-34. 2004....
- Relation of baseline high-sensitivity C-reactive protein level to cardiovascular outcomes with rosuvastatin in the Justification for Use of statins in Prevention: an Intervention Trial Evaluating Rosuvastatin (JUPITER)Paul M Ridker
Center for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Cardiol 106:204-9. 2010..Trial Evaluating Rosuvastatin (JUPITER), random allocation of rosuvastatin compared to placebo among primary prevention patients with a low-density lipoprotein cholesterol level of <130 mg/dl and a high-sensitivity C-reactive ..
- National screening program for transitional ages in Korea: a new screening for strengthening primary prevention and follow-up careHyun Su Kim
Department of Family Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 27:S70-5. 2012..Lastly, we suggest several points that need to be considered to improve the program such as enhancement of participation rates, necessity of specialized committee and research for current screening program to be supported by evidence...
- Contemporary epidemiology of renal cell carcinoma: perspectives of primary preventionSteffen Weikert
Department of Urology, Charite University Medicine Berlin, 10117 Berlin, Germany
World J Urol 28:247-52. 2010..In this review, we give an overview of recent trends in incidence and mortality and summarize the current knowledge on risk factors of RCC...
- Incidence and predictors of implantable cardioverter-defibrillator therapy in patients with arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia/cardiomyopathy undergoing implantable cardioverter-defibrillator implantation for primary preventionAditya Bhonsale
Division of Cardiology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 58:1485-96. 2011..study was to define the incidence and predictors of implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) therapy in patients with arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia/cardiomyopathy (ARVD/C) after placement of an ICD for primary prevention.
- Aspirin for prevention of cardiovascular events in a general population screened for a low ankle brachial index: a randomized controlled trialF Gerald R Fowkes
Centre for Population Health Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Scotland
JAMA 303:841-8. 2010..Screening for a low ABI can identify an asymptomatic higher risk group potentially amenable to preventive treatments...
- Identifying individuals for primary cardiovascular disease prevention in UK general practice: priorities and resource implicationsTim A Holt
Health Services Research Institute, Warwick Medical School, Coventry
Br J Gen Pract 58:495-8. 2008..2% of patients aged over 50 years with established cardiovascular disease had at least one modifiable risk factor outside the audit target of the Quality and Outcomes Framework. Implications for resource allocation are discussed...
- A health economic evaluation of aspirin in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in JapanKiichiro Tsutani
The Department of Pharmacoeconomics, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Intern Med 46:157-62. 2007..But, the use of low-dose aspirin in primary prevention has not yet been fully established in Japan although meta-analyses and US/European guidelines support its ..
- The BioImage Study: novel approaches to risk assessment in the primary prevention of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease--study design and objectivesPieter Muntendam
BG Medicine Inc, Waltham, MA, USA
Am Heart J 160:49-57.e1. 2010..The BioImage Study will help identify those patients with subclinical atherosclerosis who are at risk for near-term atherothrombotic events and enable a more personalized management of care...
- A polypill for all? Critical review of the polypill literature for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease and strokeKatherine M Carey
Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Worcester, MA, USA
Ann Pharmacother 46:688-95. 2012..the efficacy and safety of the polypill for prevention of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and stroke and to present literature related to the polypill components (statin, aspirin, antihypertensive) for primary prevention of CVD and stroke.
- Role of drugs and devices in patients at risk of sudden cardiac deathGiuseppe Boriani
Institute of Cardiology, University of Bologna, Azienda Ospedaliera S Orsola Malpighi, Bologna, Italy Department of Pharmacology, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 24:575-94. 2010..or a malignant ventricular tachyarrhythmias (secondary prevention of SCD) and the much broader setting of primary prevention in patients at variable degrees of identifiable risk...
- The role of atherosclerosis imaging in redefining normal and abnormal cholesterol values, and risk reduction in primary prevention statin trialsHarvey S Hecht
Lenox Hill Heart and Vascular Institute, 130 E 77th St, New York, NY 10021, USA
Curr Atheroscler Rep 13:422-30. 2011..of cardiovascular events than risk factors of atherosclerosis, has created a paradigm shift in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease...
- Changing the odds. What do we learn from prevention studies targeted at people with a positive family history of type 2 diabetes?Wieke H Heideman
Department of Medical Psychology, The EMGO Institute for Health and Care Research, VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Prim Care Diabetes 5:215-21. 2011..They can and should be approached with the aim to raise risk awareness and promote healthy eating, weight loss and physical activity, thereby reducing their risk of developing diabetes...
- Predictors of adherence to statins for primary preventionDevin M Mann
Division of General Internal Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1470 Madison Ave, Box 1087, New York, NY 10029, USA
Cardiovasc Drugs Ther 21:311-6. 2007..This prospective study was designed to identify potentially modifiable patient factors including medication, disease, and diet beliefs related to statin adherence...
- Risk factors and primary prevention of acute leukemiaGul Ilhan
Department of Hematology, Baskent University Medical School, Ankara, Turkey
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 7:515-7. 2006..To explain the etiology of all leukemias and develop preventive methods for the disease, future studies are needed...
- Carotid intima-media thickness as a screening tool in cardiovascular primary preventionAntonio L Aguilar-Shea
Family Practice, Centro de Salud Espronceda, Área 7 de Madrid, Spain
Eur J Clin Invest 41:521-6. 2011..Increased carotid intima-media thickness (CIMT) is associated with cardiovascular events. The purpose of this study was to identify advanced subclinical atherosclerosis in patients who are at low or intermediate risk...
- Primary prevention of stroke: blood pressure, lipids, and heart failureMatthias Endres
Klinik und Hochschulambulanz für Neurologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Eur Heart J 32:545-52. 2011..of stroke, the global burden of this disease can only be tackled with co-ordinated approaches for primary prevention. Stroke is a heterogeneous disease and the contribution of individual risk factors to its occurrence ..
- Aspirin for primary prevention: yes or no?Vanessa Selak
Clinical Trials Research Unit, School of Population Health, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
J Prim Health Care 2:92-9. 2010To assess benefit versus harm of aspirin for cardiovascular disease (CVD) primary prevention by age group, gender and risk category and to interpret these results in light of current New Zealand CVD risk assessment and management ..
- Communicating evidence-based information on cancer prevention to state-level policy makersRoss C Brownson
Alvin J Siteman Cancer Center, Washington University School of Medicine, Washington University, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 103:306-16. 2011..We explored factors that influence the likelihood that state-level policy makers will find a policy brief understandable, credible, and useful...
- Long-term follow-up of primary and secondary prevention implantable cardioverter defibrillator patientsGuido H van Welsenes
Department of Cardiology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Europace 13:389-94. 2011..The aim of the study was to assess differences in mortality and ICD therapy between secondary and primary prevention ICD recipients.
- Bridging the gap between public health and primary care in prevention of cardiometabolic diseases; background of and experiences with the Prevention Consultation in The NetherlandsWillem J J Assendelft
Department of Public Health and Primary Care, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Fam Pract 29:i126-i131. 2012..This initiative was supported by the national professional organizations of GPs and occupational physicians as well as three large health foundations...
- Rationale and methods of the European Study on Cardiovascular Risk Prevention and Management in Daily Practice (EURIKA)Fernando Rodriguez-Artalejo
Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, School of Medicine, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, CIBER of Epidemiology and Public Health, Madrid 28029, Spain
BMC Public Health 10:382. 2010The EURIKA study aims to assess the status of primary prevention of cardiovascular disease (CVD) across Europe...
- The NOURISH randomised control trial: positive feeding practices and food preferences in early childhood - a primary prevention program for childhood obesityLynne A Daniels
School of Public Health, Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
BMC Public Health 9:387. 2009b>Primary prevention of childhood overweight is an international priority. In Australia 20-25% of 2-8 year olds are already overweight...
- Potential use of 10-year and lifetime coronary risk information for preventive cardiology prescribing decisions: a primary care physician surveyStephen D Persell
Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Arch Intern Med 170:470-7. 2010..Data are sparse regarding how physicians use coronary risk information for prescribing decisions...
- Rosuvastatin for primary prevention among individuals with elevated high-sensitivity c-reactive protein and 5% to 10% and 10% to 20% 10-year risk. Implications of the Justification for Use of Statins in Prevention: an Intervention Trial Evaluating RosuvasPaul M Ridker
Center for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention and Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 3:447-52. 2010Recent primary prevention guidelines issued in Canada endorse the use of statin therapy among individuals at "intermediate risk" who have elevated levels of high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hsCRP)...
- Influence of general self-efficacy on the effects of a school-based universal primary prevention program of depressive symptoms in adolescents: a randomized and controlled follow-up studyPatrick Pössel
University of Tuebingen at Tuebingen, Germany
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 46:982-94. 2005..Depressive disorders in adolescents are a widespread and increasing problem. Prevention seems a promising and feasible approach...
- Recent advances in the management of chronic stable angina II. Anti-ischemic therapy, options for refractory angina, risk factor reduction, and revascularizationRichard Kones
Cardiometabolic Research Institute, Houston, Texas 77055, USA
Vasc Health Risk Manag 6:749-74. 2010..Optimal medical therapy, percutaneous coronary intervention, and surgery are not competing therapies, but are complementary and form a continuum, each filling an important evidence-based need in modern comprehensive management...
- Applicability of cholesterol-lowering primary prevention trials to a general population: the framingham heart studyD M Lloyd-Jones
Framingham Heart Study, 5 Thurber St, Framingham, MA 01702, USA
Arch Intern Med 161:949-54. 2001Four large trials have shown cholesterol-reduction therapy to be effective for primary prevention of coronary heart disease (CHD).
- Primary prevention in rheumatology: the importance of hyperuricemiaJanitzia Vazquez-Mellado
Rheumatology Service, Hospital General de Mexico, Faculty of Medicine, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Dr Balmis 148, Col Doctores, 06726 Mexico City, Mexico
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 18:111-24. 2004..Patients with chronic HU and also those with gout require both medical investigation for associated diseases or drugs as well as nutritional counseling and life-style changes. HU should alert physicians to possible complications...
- Combined effect of low-risk dietary and lifestyle behaviors in primary prevention of myocardial infarction in womenAgneta Akesson
Division of Nutritional Epidemiology, Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Box 210, 17177 Stockholm, Sweden
Arch Intern Med 167:2122-7. 2007..Limited data are available on the benefit of combining healthy dietary and lifestyle behaviors in the prevention of myocardial infarction (MI) in women...
- Triggers of Abruptio Placentae - A Case Crossover Study of an Ischemic PlacentalMichelle A Williams; Fiscal Year: 2013..Collectively, these new insights may facilitate the development of new approaches for the primary prevention of AP (at the public health level) and may also facilitate the development of new therapies and methods for ..
- Molecular Epidemiology of DNA Repair in Head and Neck CancerQingyi Wei; Fiscal Year: 2012..effective biomarkers for risk assessment and to identify at-risk individuals who can be targeted for primary prevention and early detection of SCCHN in the general population...
- Lung VITamin D and OmegA-3 TriaL (Lung VITAL)Diane R Gold; Fiscal Year: 2013..of a large-scale randomized clinical trial-the VITamin D and OmegA-3 TriaL (VITAL), whose endpoints are primary prevention of cancer and cardiovascular diseases-to conduct the first major evaluation of the role of vitamin D and ..
- Validation of a functional MRI-based reward processing task as a non-invasive tooMARY LOUISE PHILLIPS; Fiscal Year: 2010..identification of those most at risk of the development of disorder which will allow appropriately targeted primary prevention and finally, the development of pathophysiologically based treatments...
- Chemoprevention of urinary bladder carcinogenesis by flavokawain AXiaolin Zi; Fiscal Year: 2012..The OH-BBN model in mice will be used to examine flavokawain A's utility in primary prevention;for preventing the first occurrence of bladder cancer in those with risk factors such as cigarette smoking ..
- Vitamin D and Fish Oil for Autoimmune Disease, Inflammation and Joint PainKaren H Costenbader; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, large primary prevention trials with adequate dosing in general populations (i.e...
- Vitamin D and Vascular Function in Obese ChildrenKumaravel Rajakumar; Fiscal Year: 2013..D would have major public health importance, since optimization of vitamin D status would be an inexpensive primary prevention strategy for improving cardiometabolic health during childhood and for reducing CVD risk during adulthood.
- Biomarkers of Sudden Death and Progressive Heart FailureGORDON FRANK TOMASELLI; Fiscal Year: 2010..with ischemic and non-ischemic cardiomyopathy (ejection fraction <35%) undergoing ICD implantation for primary prevention of SCD...
- Effects of Vitamin D and Marine Omega-3 Fatty Acids on Anemia in the ElderlyNancy Berliner; Fiscal Year: 2013..trial analyzing the role of vitamin D3 and marine omega-3 fatty acid (?-3 FA) supplements in the primary prevention of cancer and cardiovascular disease among 20,000 US men and women aged >60 and >65 years, ..
- Creation of Eating/Activity Environments by New MothersDeborah Young Hyman; Fiscal Year: 2010..Results will be used to develop a family based Primary Prevention intervention to prevent Overweight Development in very young children...
- Pregnancy Folate Status &Early Childhood Respiratory &Atopic Disease OutcomesKECIA NICOLE CARROLL; Fiscal Year: 2013..Opportunity and Impact. There is no primary prevention strategy for atopic diseases such as asthma...
- Identifying Biomarkers for Post-Partum Depression in African-American WomenPatrick F Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Future research could evaluate whether a biomarker signature is of predictive utility and, if so, rational primary prevention may become feasible.
- Integrated Cardio-Renal Risk Prediction Models in Type 1 DiabetesMarian J Rewers; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Primary prevention with ACE/ARB treatment usually begins when persistent microalbuminuria is found...
- Vitamin D and Omega-3 Fatty Acids(VITAL Trial): Effects on FracturesMERYL SUSAN LEBOFF; Fiscal Year: 2013..Large primary prevention trials with high daily doses of vitamin D and/or omega-3 fatty acids in general populations (i.e...
- Role of Genetic Susceptibility in Therapy-related Subsequent MalignanciesSmita Bhatia; Fiscal Year: 2013..and facilitate identification of cancer survivors at high-risk for development of SMNs, in turn facilitating primary prevention (individualizing therapy in future cancer populations) and secondary prevention (targeted screening, ..
- Low energy ventricular defibrillatorQun Sha; Fiscal Year: 2012..In the primary prevention era, inappropriate shocks are even more troublesome, since appropriate shocks are decreasing in incidence;..
- Utility of Phosphatidylethanol for Identification of Fetal Alcohol ExposureLUDMILA NICOLE BAKHIREVA; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Primary prevention of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) is often problematic due to difficulties of early identification of alcohol use among pregnant women or women who might become pregnant...
- Preventing Anthracycline Cardiovascular Toxicity with StatinsWilliam Gregory Hundley; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): This application addresses a neglected major problem: no effective primary prevention for anthracycline- based chemotherapeutic (Anth-bC) myocardial injury experienced during and after treatment for ..
- A Large Randomized Trial of Vitamin D, Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Cognitive DeclineJae H Kang; Fiscal Year: 2013..January 2010) to investigate the effects of vitamin D and marine omega-3 fatty acid supplements on the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease and cancer...
- Genotypes and Phenotypes of Apoptosis and Risk of Head and Neck CancerQingyi Wei; Fiscal Year: 2013..effective biomarkers for risk assessment and to identify at-risk individuals who can be targeted for primary prevention and early detection of SCCHN in the general population...
- SINGLE SUTURE CRANIOSYNOSTOSIS: CANDIDATE GENE AND PATHWAY DISCOVERYMichael L Cunningham; Fiscal Year: 2013..There is an incomplete understanding of the causes of craniosynostosis and we lack experimental models. The development of these resources will improve clinical care, design biologically based therapies, and pursue primary prevention.
- Cumulative Stress and CVD Risk in Middle-Aged and Older WomenMichelle A Albert; Fiscal Year: 2013..The WHS was initiated in 1992 as a randomized trial of aspirin and vitamin E in the primary prevention of cancer and cardiovascular disease among 39, 876 female health professionals aged 45 years or older...
- The Aging Kidney in HIV-Infection: biomarkers for early detection of injuryMichael G Shlipak; Fiscal Year: 2013..filtration rate (GFR) has been substantially reduced;by this time, kidney disease is established and the primary prevention window has closed...
- VITAL-DEP: Depression Endpoint Prevention in the VITamin D and OmegA-3 TriaLOLIVIA IFEOMA OKEREKE; Fiscal Year: 2013..RCT designed to evaluate the efficacy of vitamin D3 and marine omega-3 fatty acid supplements in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease and cancer among 20,000 older U.S. men and women. We will address two primary aims...
- The impact of genetic testing for type 2 diabetes on health behaviorsWilliam S Yancy; Fiscal Year: 2013..New approaches to primary prevention could incorporate tests for genetic and genomic risk of T2DM, creating a sizable and growing opportunity for ..
- Eleventh Annual AACR International Conference on Frontiers in Cancer Prevention RMARGARET FOTI; Fiscal Year: 2012..Several steps within carcinogenic initiation and progression are targets for cancer prevention. Primary prevention is the avoidance of exposure to carcinogens or the carcinogenic process and may be directed at the broad ..
- Strengthening Supports for Healthy Relationships: A Gender-Sensitive, Mixed MethoPoco Kernsmith; Fiscal Year: 2013..place in a collaborative effort between the research team and schools in order to build infrastructure for primary prevention. In order to test the proposed hypotheses, analysis will be conducted using hierarchical linear modeling and ..
- The Comparative Effectiveness of Single versus Dual Chamber Cardioverter DefibrilPamela N Peterson; Fiscal Year: 2013..of landmark clinical efficacy trials, the use of implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs) for the primary prevention of sudden cardiac death in patients with HF and reduced left ventricular function has increased...
- History of Alzheimer predisposes children to amyloid beta-related hypometabolismLisa Mosconi; Fiscal Year: 2013..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Primary prevention trials for Alzheimer's disease will require accurate identification of normal individuals at increased ..
- Longitudinal Study of Dental Caries in VLBW InfantsSuchitra S Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2013..The clinical implications include primary prevention, early diagnosis and treatment to prevent further susceptibility to dental decay...
- Red Blood Cell Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Coronary Artery DiseaseLuc Djousse; Fiscal Year: 2010..of n-3 FA on CAD and will provide pilot data to support a future application seeking funding for a larger primary prevention trial to investigate beneficial effects of n-3 enriched foods on CAD...
- VITamin D and omegA-3 triaL (VITAL)JOANN ELISABETH MANSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..and marine omega-3 fatty acid (eicosapentaenoic acid [EPA] + docosahexaenoic acid [DHA]) supplements in the primary prevention of cancer and cardiovascular disease (CVD)...
- Head and Neck Cancer Risk Prediction ModelYuan Chin Amy Lee; Fiscal Year: 2013..who have family history of HNC), and 4) for research use to select high risk populations for studies of primary prevention. Additionally, the prediction model can serve as a tool to estimate risk reduction for individuals to ..
- Environment, Psychosocial Stress and Self-regulatory DevelopmentSARA BURR JOHNSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..is central to the candidate's long-term goal, which is to improve population health by identifying primary prevention strategies for negative health outcomes related to self-regulation, including mental health and substance ..
- SOCIODEMOGRAPHIC REGULATION OF CV FUNCTION AND STRUCTUREFrank A Treiber; Fiscal Year: 2010..It will also aid the development of more personalized primary prevention programs involving lifestyle interventions in which the role of chronic stress will be taken into account to ..
- Genetic Epidemiology of Treatment Resistant Hypertension in African AmericansCHRISTOPHER O apos BRIAN PHILLIPS; Fiscal Year: 2013..application of genetic epidemiology, translational research methods and health services research to improve primary prevention, risk stratification and management of cardiovascular disease among racial and ethnic minorities. Dr...
- Fundamental Biology of SCD and its Application to Identify Patients at RiskGORDON FRANK TOMASELLI; Fiscal Year: 2013..with structural heart disease and reduced left ventricular ejection fraction undergo ICD implantation for primary prevention of SCD...
- A Randomized Efficacy Trial of Moms and Teens for Safe DatesVangie A Foshee; Fiscal Year: 2012..Objectives: The proposed study is to test the efficacy of a selective family-based program for the primary prevention of dating abuse perpetration targeted at adolescents who have been exposed to domestic violence...
- PRIMARY HIV PREVENTION IN PREGNANT AND LACTATING UGANDAN WOMEN:A RANDOMIZED TRIALJaco Homsy; Fiscal Year: 2013..Enhanced counseling will emphasize the concept of an HIV-free and healthy baby and family based on primary prevention, adequate infant feeding and family planning...
- Diabetes Prevention in the Vitamin D and Omega-3 TrialYiqing Song; Fiscal Year: 2013..specifically designed to evaluate the efficacy of vitamin D and marine omega-3 fatty acid supplements in the primary prevention of cancer and cardiovascular disease (CVD) among 20,000 U.S. men and women...
- Epidemiology, genetics, and behaviors in a study of basal cell carcinomaLEAH MCARTHUR FERRUCCI; Fiscal Year: 2012..so identifying new risk factors in an epidemiologic study can have a significant, but low-cost impact on primary prevention. Although BCC is treatable, individuals incur significant healthcare costs and decreased quality of life...
- Are Cardioprotective Medications Effective in ESRD?Theresa I Shireman; Fiscal Year: 2011..Our primary prevention cohort is expected to include over 40,000 individuals without ischemic heart disease upon dialysis ..
- Physical Activity and Diet in the Prevention of Obesity in Men and WomenHoward D Sesso; Fiscal Year: 2010..provided by applicant): The growing obesity epidemic in the US has heightened the importance of its primary prevention across all ages;however, prevention efforts generally focus upon community-based intervention studies in ..
- Cancer Health Disparities Training ProgramEugenia Eng; Fiscal Year: 2013..and understand cross-cutting health disparity issues in cancer across the cancer continuum from etiology and primary prevention to survivorship...
- HIV Prevention for Batswana Youth: Adaptation of an Evidence-Based InterventionJanet S St Lawrence; Fiscal Year: 2013..this emphasis on biomedical strategies for case finding, care, and treatment has not been paralleled by primary prevention programs...
- ASPirin in Reducing Events in the ElderlyJOHN JAMES MCNEIL; Fiscal Year: 2013This Application seeks funding for a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial of aspirin in primary prevention in healthy elderly people aged 70 years and over...
- Physician Attitudes toward New Biomedical HIV Prevention Interventions in YouthTanya L Kowalczyk Mullins; Fiscal Year: 2013..Although new biomedical primary prevention agents such as microbicides and pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) decrease rates of HIV acquisition in trials, ..
- Urinary Biomarkers in Biopsy Defined Early Nephropathy in Types 1 and 2 DiabetesS MICHAEL MAUER; Fiscal Year: 2013..at risk could allow for patient selection for more aggressive diabetes intervention and better design of primary prevention studies...
- ENERGY BALANCE AND RISK OF BPH-RELATED OUTCOMES AND LUTS: A PROSPECTIVE STUDYSiobhan Sutcliffe; Fiscal Year: 2012..modifiable risk factors for BPH/LUTS development and their timing of action is crucial to inform effective primary prevention strategies...
- Tenth Annual AACR International Conference on Frontiers in Cancer Prevention ReseMARGARET FOTI; Fiscal Year: 2011..Several steps within carcinogenic initiation and progression are targets for cancer prevention. Primary prevention is the avoidance of exposure to carcinogens or the carcinogenic process and may be directed at the broad ..
- VITAL-AMD: Prevention of AMD in the VITamin D and OmegA-3 TrialDebra A Schaumberg; Fiscal Year: 2013..omega-3 fatty acid (eicosapentaenoic acid [EPA] + docosahexaenoic acid [DHA], 1 g/d) supplements in the primary prevention of cancer and cardiovascular disease...
- Science and Community: Partnering to prevent early childhood obesityRebecca E Lee; Fiscal Year: 2013..as the age of five, making early childhood a most vulnerable time in the lifespan and a key opportunity for primary prevention. Diets of preschool aged children lack fruit and vegetables, and children in preschool do little physical ..
- A Primary Prevention Trial to Strengthen Child Attachment in a Native CommunityDedra S Buchwald; Fiscal Year: 2013..the Promoting First Relationships (PFR) program, a theoretically driven, relationship- and strengths-based primary prevention program...
- Vaccinology in the Tropics: Vaccines in a Globalized World ConferenceARLENE ESTELLA CALVO; Fiscal Year: 2012..b>Primary prevention in the form of vaccination policy, services, implementation, and evaluation is one of the major components ..
- International Population Study on Macronutrients and BP - INTERMAPLINDA VERNER VAN HORN; Fiscal Year: 2013..e., to enhance dietary recommendations for primary prevention/ control of prehypertension/hypertension with consequence sizable reduction in cardiovascular disease risks...
- Neuroimaging and Genetic Study of Inhibited TemperamentJennifer Urbano Blackford; Fiscal Year: 2012..risk for SAD will provide new information for developing methods for identification, novel interventions, and primary prevention strategies for psychiatric disease in children and adolescents with these temperamental vulnerabilities.
- Screening and Risk Biomarkers for Ovarian Cancer in EPIC SpecimensDANIEL WILLIAM CRAMER; Fiscal Year: 2013..In turn, primary prevention requires better biomarkers of risk, especially those which might translate into strategies for intervention;..
- Clinical & Cost Effectiveness of HPV Vaccination in the USSue Goldie; Fiscal Year: 2009..Cervical Cancer Screening Model to be capable of assessing the costs, benefits, and cost-effectiveness of primary prevention (vaccination), secondary prevention (screening), and strategies that combine both...
- Natural History of Pre-diabetic Autoimmunity (DAISY)Marian J Rewers; Fiscal Year: 2013..studies are important to reach our overarching goals: to find the environmental causes of T1D, develop primary prevention, and inform public health screening for several autoimmune disorders in children and adolescents...
- The Nashville Breast Health StudyWei Zheng; Fiscal Year: 2009..regarding their associations with breast cancer risk could have important public health implications in the primary prevention of breast cancer...
- Staying Off Substances: A Tailored Early Recovery Program for TeensKIMBERLEE JEAN TRUDEAU; Fiscal Year: 2012..Whereas current online programs for adolescents are geared for primary prevention, CHAT(R): SOS will be an intervention for use in clinical populations...
- Peripheral TGF-beta Pathway Inhibitor Therapy in Alzheimer's RatsTerrence Town; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, broadly inhibiting inflammation has not produced a positive signal for AD primary prevention. This and other evidence has prompted our overarching hypothesis: that re-balancing inflammation as opposed ..
- Venous thromboembolism among California cancer patientsHelen Chew; Fiscal Year: 2003..that use of anticoagulants, such as warfarin or low molecular weight heparin, may be beneficial in the primary prevention of VTE among cancer patients...
- Decision-Making about Childhood HPV Vaccination among Low SES MothersTIFFANY FLOYD; Fiscal Year: 2009..an unprecedented opportunity to eliminate disparities in cervical cancer morbidity and mortality through the primary prevention of the disease...
- Primary Prevention of Hypertension in Obese AdolescentsDaniel Feig; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Engaging Teen Bystanders to Prevent Sexual Violence: A Web-based ApproachLINDA S BAIR; Fiscal Year: 2010..Thus, there is a need for effective and innovative primary prevention programs...
- VITAMIN E ATHEROSCLEROSIS PREVENTION STUDYHOWARD HODIS; Fiscal Year: 1999..Vitamin E supplementation provides a promising approach for primary prevention of CHD since it is natural, safe, highly tolerable, and inexpensive...
- Intimate Partner Violence Among Low-Income Pregnant Women: Multilevel AnalysisQing Li; Fiscal Year: 2005..IPV in the transition to parenthood warrants special attention on risk assessment and primary prevention from an ecological perspective and an approach directed at the potential perpetrators...
- Preventing Child Residential Lead Exposure By Window ReplacementMICHAEL LANE WEITZMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..multiple agencies and constituencies of the significant gains to housing and community health by linking the primary prevention of childhood lead exposure to activities that will be carried out by multiple private and public agencies as ..
- PSYCHOSOCIAL FACTORS IN SUDDEN CARDIAC DEATHSue Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2002..defibrillators (ICD) on the psychosocial status of heart failure (HF) patients who receive ICD as primary prevention for sudden cardiac death (SCD); and 4) compare the psychosocial impact of ICD with the impact of the other ..
- Primary Prevention of Weight Gain for Women Aged 25-45Walter Willett; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- B VITAMIN ATHEROSCLEROSIS INTERVENTION TRAILHOWARD HODIS; Fiscal Year: 2004DESCRIPTION (adapted from the application): Although primary prevention strategies have focused on key modifiable risk factors for development and progression of atherosclerosis, such as hypercholesterolemia, coronary heart disease (CHD) ..
- TRIAL OF ASPIRIN AND VITAMIN E IN WOMENJulie Buring; Fiscal Year: 2000..alternate days), vitamin E (600 IU on alternate days), and beta-carotene (50 mg on alternate days) ina the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease and cancer among approximately 40,000 US female health professionals, aged 45 ..