Summary: Hospitals which provide care for a single category of illness with facilities and staff directed toward a specific service.
Publications163 found, 100 shown here
- Specialty versus community hospitals: referrals, quality, and community benefitsLeslie Greenwald
RTI International in Research Triangle Park, NC, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 25:106-18. 2006..Specialty hospitals provide generally high-quality care to satisfied patients. Uncompensated care plus specialty hospitals' taxes represent a greater burden, in percentage terms, than community benefits provided by nonprofit providers...
- A comparison of total hip and knee replacement in specialty and general hospitalsPeter Cram
Division of General Medicine, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:1675-84. 2007..Our objective was to compare the characteristics and outcomes of patients undergoing major joint replacement in specialty orthopaedic and general hospitals...
- The effects of cardiac specialty hospitals on the cost and quality of medical careJason R Barro
Bain and Company, USA
J Health Econ 25:702-21. 2006..In markets with a specialty hospital, however, specialty hospitals tend to attract healthier patients and provide higher levels of intensive procedures than general hospitals...
- Cardiac revascularization in specialty and general hospitalsPeter Cram
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
N Engl J Med 352:1454-62. 2005..The emergence of specialty hospitals focusing on narrow procedural areas has generated controversy, although little is known about their quality...
- Focused factories? Physician-owned specialty facilitiesLawrence P Casalino
Department of Health Studies, University of Chicago, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 22:56-67. 2003..But regulatory intervention should be cautious, because data on impact are inconclusive, and these facilities could have the potential to function as "focused factories" that improve quality and reduce costs...
- The economics of specialty hospitalsJohn E Schneider
Health Economics Consulting Group LLC, Morristown, New Jersey, USA
Med Care Res Rev 65:531-53; discussion 554-63. 2008..A better understanding of the economics of specialization will help policy makers evaluate the full spectrum of advantages and disadvantages of specialty hospitals...
- Specialty and full-service hospitals: a comparative cost analysisKathleen Carey
VA Center for Health Quality, Outcomes and Economic Research and Boston University School of Public Health, 200 Springs Road, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
Health Serv Res 43:1869-87. 2008..To compare the costs of physician-owned cardiac, orthopedic, and surgical single specialty hospitals with those of full-service hospital competitors...
- Practitioner empathy, patient enablement and health outcomes of patients attending the Glasgow Homoeopathic Hospital: a retrospective and prospective comparisonStewart W Mercer
General Practice and Primary Care, Division of Community Based Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Wien Med Wochenschr 155:498-501. 2005..This study demonstrates the importance of prospective studies in assessing potentially causal relationships between consultation quality and health outcomes and suggests a key role for patient enablement...
- Air raids and the 'Wee' HospitalC J H Logan
Ulster Med J 72:38-42. 2003
- Clinical outcomes following laser photocoagulation treatment for diabetic retinopathy at a large Australian ophthalmic hospitalQing Yi
Centre for Eye Research Australia, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 31:305-9. 2003..9%) eyes. Moderate visual loss was observed in 20 (23.8%) eyes and severe visual loss was observed in 4 (4.8%) eyes. CONCLUSIONS: The clinical outcomes reported here are similar to those reported in other studies...
- Fungal keratitis in MelbournePrashant Bhartiya
Centre for Eye Research Australia, University of Melbourne, Mellbourne, Victoria, Australia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 35:124-30. 2007..Description of the clinical and microbiological spectrum of fungal keratitis at a tertiary eye care hospital in Melbourne, Australia...
- Outcome of treated orbital cellulitis in a tertiary eye care center in the middle EastImtiaz A Chaudhry
Oculoplastic and Orbit Division, King Khaled Eye Specialist Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Ophthalmology 114:345-54. 2007..To describe risk factors predisposing patients to orbital cellulitis and potential complications in patients treated at a tertiary eye care referral center in the Middle East...
- Retrospective review of primary melanomas excised at Waikato Hospital, New Zealand, 2002-2003Scott Barker
Waikato Hospital, Hamilton, New Zealand
Australas J Dermatol 48:14-7. 2007..45 mm). Patients referred by general practitioners waited a mean of 26.5 days (range 0-94 days) for first specialist assessment. Following specialist assessment, patients waited a mean of 24.2 days (0-81 days) before excision biopsy...
- An evaluation of optometrists' ability to correctly identify and manage patients with ocular disease in the accident and emergency department of an eye hospitalScott Hau
Department of Optometry, Moorfields Eye Hospital, 162 City Road, London EC1V 2PD, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 91:437-40. 2007..To assess optometrists' ability to correctly identify and manage patients with different ocular conditions seen in the accident and emergency (A&E) department of an eye hospital...
- The profile of stroke in Nigeria's federal capital territoryI Imam
Department of Medicine, Gwagwalada Specialist Hospital, Abuja, Nigeria
Trop Doct 32:209-12. 2002..The aim of this study was to characterize the pattern of stroke in a specialist centre in Nigeria's federal capital territory over a 5-year period...
- A survey of a novel epilepsy clinicMel Goodwin
Department of Neurology, Northampton General Hospital NHS Trust, Cliftonville, Northampton, UK
Seizure 11:519-22. 2002..Many patients reviewed were considered to be taking unnecessary medication and suffering unnecessary side effects. There is a need for improved epilepsy management in primary care and better liaison between primary and secondary care...
- Is ophthalmology evidence based? A clinical audit of the emergency unit of a regional eye hospitalT Y Y Lai
Hong Kong Eye Hospital, 147K Argyle Street, Kowloon, Hong Kong SAR, People s Republic of China
Br J Ophthalmol 87:385-90. 2003..To evaluate the proportion of interventions that are evidence based in the acute care unit of a regional eye hospital...
- Contact lens prescribing in a specialist medical contact lens clinic based in an NHS hospital: an audit of changing practiceB J L Burton
Western Eye Hospital, 171 Marylebone Road, London NW1 9YE, UK
Eye Contact Lens 30:87-9. 2004..To describe the range of indications for contact lenses and the types of lenses being used in an NHS hospital-based specialist medical contact lens clinic and contrast this with information from 12 years ago...
- [Present status of patients in a rehabilitation unit at a geriatric hospital--analysis of cases with cerebrovascular disease and disuse syndrome]Satoshi Terai
Department of Neurology, Haradoi Hospital, Japan
Nihon Ronen Igakkai Zasshi 44:476-82. 2007..To analyze the present status of patients in a rehabilitation unit at a geriatric hospital...
- Anterior and intermediate uveitis cases referred to a tertiary centre in AlbertaStanley M Chan
Department of Ophthalmology, Royal Alexandra Hospital, Vancouver, BC
Can J Ophthalmol 42:860-4. 2007..and estimated the incidence of anterior uveitis in northern Alberta...
- Audit of exracapsular cataract extraction with posterior chamber intraocular lens implantation in a tertiary eye care center in EthiopiaYonas Tilahun
Department of Ophthalmology, Addis Ababa University, Medical Faculty
Ethiop Med J 44:61-6. 2006..Further study with biometric measurement is recommended...
- [Clinical assessment of oral health between physician and dentist--a pilot study on inter-examiner reliability]Alexander J Hassel
Poliklinik fur Zahnarztliche Prothetik, Universitat Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 400, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Z Gerontol Geriatr 41:132-8. 2008....
- [Psychosocial characteristics of deaf people: evaluation of data from a special outpatient clinic for the deaf]J Fellinger
Institut für Sinnes und Sprachneurologie, Gesundheitszentrum für Gehörlose, Konventhospital Barmherzige Brüder, Linz, Osterreich
Nervenarzt 76:43-51. 2005..With specific outpatient clinics for the deaf in which members of the therapeutic team are competent in sign language, access to health services is equally possible for deaf people...
- [Geriatric care in Germany--results of an empirical study]S Loos
Z Gerontol Geriatr 34:61-73. 2001..The data also show that a categorical distinction between geriatric acute hospitals and rehabilitation units is not possible. However, further data collection and more detailed analyses are needed...
- Measuring the burden of ocular morbidityAnita Panda
Department of Ophthalmology, BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Dharan, Nepal
Trop Doct 32:227-30. 2002..Allergic conjunctivitis was frequently encountered. As shown by the magnitude of the problem, the existing eye care facilities must be enhanced and new strategies developed...
- Autologous platelets for macular hole surgery: the Sussex Eye Hospital experienceBrendan J Vote
Sussex Eye Hospital, Brighton, United Kingdom
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 32:472-7. 2004..Visual outcome benefit of platelets remains to be investigated by randomized controlled trial and any planned trials should include an autologous platelets intervention arm along with visual acuity as a primary outcome measure...
- Photodynamic therapy in practice: a review of the results of the first 12 months experience with verteporfin at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear HospitalRohan W Essex
Centre for Eye Research Australia, University of Melbourne, East Melbourne, Victoria 8002, Australia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 31:476-81. 2003....
- Bacteriology of chronic dacryocystitis in a tertiary eye care centerImtiaz A Chaudhry
Oculoplastic and Orbit Division, King Khaled Eye Specialist Hospital, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 21:207-10. 2005..To determine the current bacteriology of adult chronic dacryocystitis in a tertiary eye care center and compare it with previously reported studies...
- Nosocomial infection in an eye hospital: incidence and occurrence patternsZhenfang Wang
Zhongshan Ophthalmic Centre, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 34:650-3. 2006..To describe the incidence and occurrence patterns of nosocomial infections in a large eye hospital over a 6-year period...
- Cost-utility of routine cataract surgeryPirjo Räsänen
Helsinki and Uusimaa Hospital Group, Group Administration, P, O, Box 440, 00029 HUS, Helsinki, Finland
Health Qual Life Outcomes 4:74. 2006..Our aim, therefore, was to evaluate the cost-utility of routine cataract surgery in a real-world setting...
- Delivery of photocoagulation treatment for diabetic retinopathy at a large Australian ophthalmic hospital: comparisons with national clinical practice guidelinesParapun Bamroongsuk
Centre for Eye ResearchAustralia, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 30:115-9. 2002..CONCLUSIONS: The study indicates that the application of photocoagulation and follow up for diabetic retinopathy at this tertiary referral institution conforms closely with Australian clinical practice guidelines...
- Examination of first-degree relatives of patients with glaucoma: a randomized trial of strategies to increase use in an eye hospital in AfricaElijah Mutoloki Munachonga
Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre, Moshi, Tanzania
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 14:155-9. 2007..To determine the best approach to examine first-degree relatives (FDR) of glaucoma patients in a rural African setting...
- Eyelid neoplasms in the Beijing Tongren Eye Centre between 1997 and 2006Xiao Lin Xu
Beijing Institute of Ophthalmology, Beijing Tongren Eye Centre, Beijing Tongren Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 39:367-72. 2008..To examine the spectrum of eyelid neoplastic specimens obtained at the Beijing Tongren Eye Centre between 1997 and 2006...
- [Ophthalmology in Puerto Rico---historical notes]R A Yordan Rivera
Bol Asoc Med P R 96:113-6, 119-21. 2004
- [Ophthalmopathology between yesterday and tomorrow]Jens Martin Rohrbach
Ophthalmopathologisches, Augenklinik des Universitäts Klinikums, Abt I, Tuebingen
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 221:87-91. 2004..Pure diagnostic pathology of the eye does not cover the costs. However, there are enough good reasons to keep the ophthalmopathological laboratories as parts of the eye hospitals...
- [Prof. Carl Wilhelm von Zehender (1819-1916)--first professor of ophthalmology and co-founder of the ophthalmological clinic at the University of Rostock--commemorative lecture at the 100th DOG meeting in Berlin from 26.9 to 29.9.2002]Joachim Stave
Augenklinik der Universität Rostock
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 220:15-9. 2003..C. W. v. Zehender was mounted on the guest house "Margarete". This plaque commemorates Professor Zehender's merits in establishing the DOG, planning and building the eye clinic of the university of Rostock...
- Prevalence of human immunodeficiency virus infection in patients with pulmonary tuberculosis at the National Chest Hospital in JamaicaPatrick E Akpaka
Department of Microbiology, University of the West Indies, Mona, Kingston, Jamaica
Rev Panam Salud Publica 19:38-43. 2006..This study was undertaken to determine the prevalence of human immunodeficiency virus-type 1 (HIV-1) infection in patients with pulmonary tuberculosis at the National Chest Hospital in Jamaica...
- A rapid access husky voice clinic: useful in diagnosing laryngeal pathologyA Resouly
Department of Otolaryngology, The Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth, UK
J Laryngol Otol 115:978-80. 2001..A rapid access clinic with agreed protocols that referring practitioners adhered to, was useful for diagnosing laryngeal cancer and should meet the requirements of the government's 14-day rule...
- Variations of care quality for infectious pulmonary tuberculosis in Taiwan: a population based cohort studyWei Sheng Chung
Hualien General Hospital, Department of Heath, Executive Yuan, Hualien, Taiwan
BMC Public Health 7:107. 2007..Effective and efficient care is required to prevent the spread of infectious pulmonary tuberculosis (PTB). We attempted to compare care quality among different healthcare institutions in Southern Taiwan...
- [What organisation to improve health care management of patients with partial refractory epilepsy?]M Baldy-Moulinier
Service d Explorations Neurologiques et d Epileptologie, Hopital Gui de Chauliac, CHU, 34295 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Rev Neurol (Paris) 160:5S338-44. 2004..Such organisation should be appropriate to quality standards for neurophysiology and neuroimaging assessment, epilepsy surgery programme and psychological and social counselling services...
- Fine needle aspiration cytology of head and neck masses. Seven years' experience in a secondary care hospitalImad Abdien El Hag
Department of Pathology, Prince Abdulrahman Al Sudery Central Hospital, Sakaka, Aljouf, Saudi Arabia
Acta Cytol 47:387-92. 2003..To study the value of fine needle aspiration (FNA) in the diagnosis of head and neck masses in a secondary care hospital...
- Analysis of hospital-based stroke registry in a neurological centre in KolkataTapas K Banerjee
Department of Neurology, National Neurosciences Centre, Kolkata 700094
J Indian Med Assoc 103:665-8. 2005..This indicates the need of population-based studies to be conducted at different parts of West Bengal to determine whether them is truly a high prevalence and incidence of ICH in this Indian state...
- Accuracy of intraoperative consultation for bone tumors: experience in an orthopedic hospitalEréndira G Estrada Villaseñor
Department of Pathology and Bone Tumors Service, Instituto Nacional de Rehabilitacion, Torre de Investigación PB, Calzada, México Xochimilco, No 289 Col Arenal de Guadalupe, Del Tlalpan CP, 14389, Mexico, DF
J Orthop Sci 12:123-6. 2007..Intraoperative consultation is an integral part of surgical pathology. However, there are few reports concerning intraoperative pathology consultation exclusively for bone tumors...
- Varicella-zoster virus infection in the Infectious Diseases Hospital, Sri LankaU Welgama
Infectious Diseases Hospital, Sri Lanka
Ceylon Med J 48:119-21. 2003..CONCLUSIONS: Varicella related complications are high in patients with coexisting diseases. Mortality rates are higher than reported elsewhere. Health care facilities available at IDH are quite inadequate, and should be improved...
- Audit of a multidisciplinary vulvar clinic in a gynecologic hospitalA L Tan
Vulvar Clinic, National Women's Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
J Reprod Med 45:655-8. 2000..The chronic nature of many vulvar diseases results in long-term follow-up of many women. Patient selection bias has developed as a consequence of the interests of the clinicians involved...
- Ten-year review of hysterectomy morbidity and mortality: can we change direction?N Varol
Endosurgery Unit, Mercy Hospital for Women, East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 41:295-302. 2001..Prophylactic antibiotics reduced the febrile morbidity for VH and AH by 50% (Student's t-test, p = 0.02) and 40% (Student's t-test, p < 0.001) respectively The overall mortality rate was 1.5 per 1000...
- Four-year review of open eye injuries at the Royal Adelaide HospitalRobert J Casson
Ophthalmology Unit, Royal Adelaide Hospital, South Australia, Australia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 30:15-8. 2002..An effective preventive strategy to reduce the incidence of severe ocular trauma has yet to be implemented. The concept of a national population-based severe ocular trauma database is considered...
- Safety and cost benefits of bilateral total knee replacement in an acute hospitalGeoffrey Stubbs
Calvary Health Care ACT, Jamison Centre, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
ANZ J Surg 75:739-46. 2005..This study examines the experience of a small hospital to see if similar benefits can be achieved...
- [Primary melanoma of the oral mucosa. Experience of the Oncology Hospital of Centro Médico Nacional Siglo XXI]Jaime Alonso Reséndiz-Colosia
Servicio de Tumores de Cabeza, Cuello y Piel, Hospital de Oncologia, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, Av Guauhtémoc 330, Col Doctores, 06725 Mexico, D F, Mexico
Cir Cir 75:257-62. 2007..Primary intraoral melanoma is extremely rare and carries a poor prognosis. Treatment of choice remains controversial. Our aim was to define the clinical features of this disease and to evaluate treatment methods...
- Cause of death in older patients with anatomo-pathological evidence of chronic bronchitis or emphysema: a case-control study based on autopsy findingsJ P Janssens
Department of Geriatrics, Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
J Am Geriatr Soc 49:571-6. 2001..Fatal MI occurred significantly more frequently in older patients with E or CB than in controls. Furthermore, patients with E were at significantly higher risk of fatal PE than patients with CB or controls...
- Chronic idiopathic hyponatremia in older people due to syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH) possibly related to agingM Anpalahan
Department of General Medicine, Western Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
J Am Geriatr Soc 49:788-92. 2001..Hyponatremia is modest in these patients and has little clinical significance. However, they may be at increased risk of developing symptomatic hyponatremia with intercurrent illnesses...
- [Fall events in geriatric hospital in-patients. Results of prospective recording over a 3 year period]W Von Renteln-Kruse
Medizinisch-Geriatrische Klinik, Albertinen-Haus, , , Sellhopsweg 18-22, 22459 Hamburg, Germany
Z Gerontol Geriatr 37:9-14. 2004..Injuries due to falls which had to be treated were rare, and fall-related fractures were very rare. The average duration of in-hospital stay was longer for patients with than without falls...
- Assessments and nursing care for right brain-damaged stroke patients: focusing on neglect and related symptomsHiroko Ohshima
Department of Community Health Nursing, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Toky, Japan
Nurs Health Sci 6:115-21. 2004..In these patients, although 'by calling attention' is the conventional care, more appropriate care should be provided based on an assessment of cognitive-physical function and spatio-temporal recognition of an action...
- Assessments of interrater reliability and internal consistency of the Norwegian version of the Berg Balance ScaleKarin E Halsaa
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Ullevaal University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 88:94-8. 2007..To investigate the interrater reliability and the internal consistency of the Norwegian version of the Berg Balance Scale (BBS) when applied to patients in a geriatric department...
- An evaluation of polyvinylidene film dressing for treatment of pressure ulcers in older peopleJ Takahashi
Department of Psychiatry, Minakuchi Hospital, Koka City, Japan
J Wound Care 15:449-50, 452-4. 2006..To compare the effectiveness of polyvinylidene (PVL) food wrap as a dressing material versus conventional ointments and gauze dressings for pressure ulcers in patients aged 60 years or over...
- Prognostic significance of delirium in frail older peopleKaisu H Pitkala
Department of Medicine, Geriatric Clinic, Helsinki University Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 19:158-63. 2005..86, 95% CI 1.1-3.1), at 2 years (OR 1.76, 95% CI 1.1-2.8), and for permanent institutionalization (OR 2.45, 95% CI 1.2-4.9). Delirious patients with prior dementia tended to have a better prognosis than those without...
- [Assessment of patient satisfaction in geriatric hospitals: a methodological pilot study]Jean Pierre Huber
Zentrum für Geriatrie und Rehabilitation, Bürgerspital, Rorschacherstrasse 94, 9000 St Gallen, Schweiz
Z Gerontol Geriatr 41:124-31. 2008..Such an instrument can provide important information for the improvement of quality in different areas of geriatric care such as medical, nursing care or guest services...
- Confirming older adult patients' views of who they are and would like to beIngrid Randers
Karolinska Institute, HM Queen Sophia University College of Nursing, Stockholm, Sweden
Nurs Ethics 9:416-31. 2002....
- Influence of mental status on removable prosthesis compliance in institutionalized elderly personsTsuyoshi Taji
Department of Advanced Prosthodontics, Hiroshima University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Japan
Int J Prosthodont 18:146-9. 2005....
- Economic evaluation of a geriatric day hospital: cost-benefit analysis based on functional autonomy changesMichel Tousignant
Gerontology and Geriatrics Research Centre, Sherbrooke Geriatric University Institute, Quebec, Canada
Age Ageing 32:53-9. 2003..to investigate whether the benefits related to a geriatric day hospital programme exceeded the costs, using a cost-benefit analysis based on changes in functional autonomy...
- [Smear-positive pulmonary tuberculosis diagnosed in a general hospital]Shin Sasaki
Department of Internal Medicine, National Himeji Hospital, 68 Honmachi, Himejishi, Hyogo 670 8520, Japan
Kekkaku 77:777-82. 2002..We propose to provide facilities for the treatment of SPTB at all general hospitals in Japan...
- Clinical features and epidemiology of Acinetobacter baumannii colonization and infection in Spanish hospitalsJesús Rodríguez-Baño
Seccion de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Hospital Universitario Virgen Macarena, Sevilla, Spain
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 25:819-24. 2004..To investigate the clinical features and the epidemiology of Acinetobacter baumannii in Spanish hospitals...
- A survey of memory clinics in New ZealandGary Cheung
Greenlane Clinical Centre, Private Bag 92189, Auckland, New Zealand
Australas Psychiatry 16:244-7. 2008..The aim of this survey was to identify all the publicly funded memory clinics in the 21 District Health Boards (DHBs) in New Zealand...
- [Concept and effectiveness of a treatment program for patients with dementia and their relatives. Results from the Bad Aibling Alzheimer Disease Therapy Center]B Romero
Alzheimer Therapiezentrum, Neurologischen Klinik Bad Aibling Kolbermoorenstrasse 72 83043 Bad Aibling, Germany
Z Gerontol Geriatr 35:118-28. 2002..Further controlled follow-up studies are needed to evaluate the effects of the intervention as dementia progresses and to address hypotheses about factors responsible for benefits as well as for treatment resistance...
- Lung and heart-lung transplant practice patterns in pulmonary hypertension centersE J Pielsticker
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Cardiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48106-0363, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 20:1297-304. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: Physicians and patients should be aware of the considerable variability in practice patterns for transplantation in pulmonary hypertension, despite published guidelines...
- Study on histopathology, ultrasonography and some special serum enzymes and collagens for 38 advanced patients of schistosomiasis japonicaShen Guangjin
Anhui Provincial Institute of Schistosomiasis Control, 207 Dongjiao Road, Anhui, Wuhu 241000, People s Republic of China
Acta Trop 82:235-46. 2002..However, in differentiation of the two types of liver damage, ultrasound does not provide important information. Histopathological examination, on the other hand, can provide useful information to identify the hepatic diseases...
- Managing prices for hospital pharmaceuticals: a successful strategy for New Zealand?June M Tordoff
School of Pharmacy, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Value Health 8:201-8. 2005..The present study was undertaken to determine the effects of this first year of "pooled procurement."..
- Estimating incidence of bacterial meningitis with capture-recapture method, Lazio Region, ItalyA Faustini
Department of Epidemiology, Agency for Public Health, Lazio, Italy
Eur J Epidemiol 16:843-8. 2000..In order to improve both sensitivity and positive predictive value of surveillance, hospital and public health sources should be integrated with laboratory-based system...
- Evaluation of cerebrovascular insult types and their localization in patients due to the presence of elevated body temperatureM Savic
Special Hospital for Cerebrovascular disorders Saint Sava, Belgrade, Serbia
Bratisl Lek Listy 110:332-4. 2009....
- [Quality of life for family members: health promotion for severely handicapped persons staying at home and for family members--systemic approach in Yokohama]S Miyake
Division of Medicine, Yokohama Ryoiku Center for the Severely Handicapped, Japan
No To Hattatsu 28:214-9. 1996..An example of systemic approach to severely handicapped persons in Yokohama was presented, which was rather successful but incomplete...
- A review of tuberculosis prevention, diagnosis and treatment system in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)John A Linton
International Healthcare Center, Severance Hospital, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea
Asia Pac J Public Health 20:148-55. 2008..infrastructure involving 200 people's Country Hospitals, 13 Prophylactic Hospitals, 62 Sanitariums and 4 Special Hospitals. The mid 1990s witnessed a resurgence of tuberculosis in North Korea with 100,000 new cases reported yearly...
- Assessment of long-term activity limitations and participation restrictions of persons with traumatic brain injury using the disability rating scaleMartina Varjabić
Department for Neurological Rehabilitation, Special Hospital for Medical Rehabilitation Krapinske Toplice, Krapinske Toplice, Croatia
Coll Antropol 34:157-64. 2010..Rehabilitation is primarily carried out in special hospitals for medical rehabilitation, and occasionally continues with rehabilitation on an outpatient basis or in the ..
- Functional independence, diagnostic groups, hospital stay, and modality of payment in three Croatian seaside inpatient rehabilitation centersNada Tomasovic Mrcela
Eko oporaba, Bednjanska 8A, 10 000 Zagreb, Croatia
Croat Med J 51:534-42. 2010To determine patients' functional independence, diagnostic groups, duration of hospital stay, and modality of payment of rehabilitation in major special hospitals for rheumatology and medical rehabilitation on the Croatian seaside.
- Differences in personality and risk characteristics in sex, violent and general offendersLeam A Craig
Forensic Psychology Practice Ltd, The Willows Clinic, West Midlands, UK
Crim Behav Ment Health 16:183-94. 2006..However, none of these studies has examined differences in personality characteristics between violent, sex and general offenders using the Special Hospitals Assessment of Personality and Socialization (SHAPS).
- [Surgical treatment of renal carcinoma and thrombosis of the inferior vena cava]V Baláz
Urologické oddelenie NsP F D Roosevelta, Banska Bystrica, Slovenska republika
Rozhl Chir 81:352-6. 2002..This number includes 5 to 10% carcinomas with a tumours thrombus is the renal vein or inferior vena cava. The objective of the present work is to describe diagnostic and surgical methods is patients with this disease...
- [Characterization of assistance among philanthropic hospitals in Brazil]Margareth C Portela
Departamento de Administração e Planejamento em Saúde, Escola Nacional de Saude Publica, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Rev Saude Publica 38:811-8. 2004..To characterize the Brazilian philanthropic hospital network and its relation to the public and private sectors of the Sistema Unico de Saude (SUS) [Brazilian Unified Health System]...
- Kidney biopsy in west of Iran: Complications and histopathological findingsM Rahbar
Department of Pathology, Emam Reza Hospital, Kermanshah, Iran
Indian J Nephrol 19:68-70. 2009..reviewed the medical records and histopathology findings of 135 patients who underwent renal biopsies at two special hospitals affiliated to Kermanshah medical university during a six-year period (2003-2007)...
- Route of discharge for special (high-security) hospital patients with personality disorder. Relationship with re-convictionS Davison
Institute of Psychiatry, London
Br J Psychiatry 175:224-7. 1999..A considerable proportion of patients with personality disorder are discharged directly to the community from special (high-security) hospitals...
- Naphthalan--a natural medicinal productPero Vrzogić
Naftalan Special Hospital for Medical Rehabilitation, Omladinska 23, 10310 Ivanić Grad, Croatia
Acta Dermatovenerol Croat 11:178-84. 2003..Naphthalan is definitely a potent natural medicinal agent, which should be further investigated to confirm its usage in the treatment of these diseases as fully justified...
- [Clinical analysis of pulmonary tuberculosis detected during follow-up of other underlying diseases]Yoshihiro Kobashi
Division of Respiratory Diseases, Department of Medicine, Kawasaki Medical School, 577 Matsushima, Kurashiki shi, Okayama 701 0192, Japan
Kekkaku 79:1-6. 2004....
- Functional consistency across two behavioural modalities: fire-setting and self-harm in female special hospital patientsSarah Miller
Department of Psychology, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK
Crim Behav Ment Health 17:31-44. 2007Fire-setting and self-harm behaviours among women in high security special hospitals may be understood using Shye's Action System Theory (AST) in which four functional modes are recognized: 'adaptive', 'expressive', 'integrative', and '..
- The killing of psychiatric patients in Nazi Germany between 1939-1945Michael von Cranach
Bezirkskrankenhaus Kaufbeuren, Kemnater Strasse 16, D 87600 Kaufbeuren, Germany
Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci 40:8-18; discussion 19-28. 2003..is followed by the details of the so-called euthanasia program that entailed killing of patients by gas in special hospitals in the years 1939-1941, and in psychiatric hospitals in the years 1942-1945...
- The treatment and security needs of patients in special hospitals: views of referring and accepting teamsKapil Sayal
Department of Child Psychiatry, Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK
Crim Behav Ment Health 12:244-53. 2002..Various studies suggest that 20-30% of patients in England and Wales in high security could be safely managed in medium security but there are no objective criteria and little attention has been paid to differences of opinion...
- [Gastrointestinal tuberculosis--case report]Darko Kosćak
Djelatnost za kirurgiju, Opća bolnica Bjelovar, Bjelovar, Hrvatska
Acta Med Croatica 61:433-8. 2007..On follow up 18 months after the surgery, there were no signs of gastrointestinal involvement...
- Temporal reliability of psychological assessments for patients in a special hospital with severe personality disorder: a preliminary noteP Tyrer
Department of Psychological Medicine, Imperial College, London, UK
Crim Behav Ment Health 15:87-92. 2005..The new programme for assessing those with dangerous and severe personality disorder relies heavily on psychological assessments of personality disorder and risk...
- Portrayal of mental illness and special hospitals in the UK pressGeoff Dickens
St Andrew s Healthcare, Billing Road, Northampton
Br J Nurs 17:1058-61. 2008..Secondly, the article examines the press' reporting of the three English high-security special hospitals as an example of how the framing and personalization of stories is used to set the public agenda on mentally ..
- Delusional parasitosis: folie à deux and attempted murder of a family doctorM L Bourgeois
Universite Bordeaux II, France
Br J Psychiatry 161:709-11. 1992..The case illustrates the intractable nature and potential dangerousness of some of these cases, and their affinity to paranoia...
- Characteristics of offenders deemed not guilty by reason of insanity in PortugalJaime Almeida
Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health, Hospital S Francisco Xavier, Centro Hospitalar de Lisboa Ocidental, 1600 Lisbon, Portugal
Med Sci Law 50:136-9. 2010..Mean duration of inpatient stay did not differ significantly between diagnoses. The findings also point to poor follow-up of the NGRI patients after admission...
- Service costs for severe personality disorder at a special hospitalBarbara Barrett
Centre for the Economics of Mental Health, Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, King s College, London SE5 8AF, UK
Crim Behav Ment Health 15:184-90. 2005..Existing cost estimates almost always rely on aggregate estimates of the cost of care rather than individual-level costing, but the latter is necessary for the economic evaluation of new services...
- Optochiasmatic cavernous angioma: unexpected diagnosis. Case reportErcan Ozer
Department of Neurosurgery, Dokuz Eylul University Medical Faculty, Izmir, Turkey
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 47:128-31. 2007..Postoperatively his visual complaints remained stable, but had improved after 1 year. Optochiasmatic cavernous malformation should be treated by surgical excision, whereas biopsy is useless and may result in enlargement...
- Scatolia: psychosis to protestT Mason
Ashworth Hospital Liverpool University
J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 3:303-11. 1996..There are issues of concern from diverse organizational settings that overlap between those persons who engage in scatolia who may be deemed mentally impaired, psychiatrically disordered, or protest behaviour...
- Name change among offender patients: an English high security hospital sampleBirgit Völlm
University of Manchester, Neuroscience and Psychiatry Unit, Manchester, UK
Crim Behav Ment Health 12:269-81. 2002..There is scant literature on change of name among psychiatric patients but a more substantial amount on the use of aliases among offenders. No one to our knowledge has explored name changes among offender patients...
- Strict volume control and longitudinal changes in cardiac biomarker levels in hemodialysis patientsOlimpia Ortega
Nephrology Service, Hospital Severo Ochoa, Leganes, Spain
Nephron Clin Pract 113:c96-103. 2009....
- [Influence of new clinical training system on the neurological clinic and laboratory in university hospital]Toshihide Kumamoto
Department of Neurology and Neuromuscular Disorders, Oita University Faculty of Medicine
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 47:815-6. 2007..This article summarized the problems with discussion...
- New long-term-care hospitals' performance after implementation of a prospective payment systemMichael J McCue
Health Administration, Virginia Commonwealth University, VA, USA
Hosp Top 86:3-9. 2008..In the 2nd year, the financial performance and utilization of the new facilities became comparable to those of existing facilities...
- Do specialized centers and specialists produce better outcomes for patients with chronic diseases than primary care generalists? A systematic reviewPiet N Post
Dutch Institute for Healthcare Improvement CBO, 3502 LB Utrecht, The Netherlands
Int J Qual Health Care 21:387-96. 2009....
- The digital eczema centre utrechtHarmieke van Os-Medendorp
Dermatology Allergology Department, UMC Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Telemed Telecare 16:12-4. 2010..The web-based patient record and the digital chain-of-care promote the involvement of patients, parents and multidisciplinary teams as well as the continuity and coordination of care...
- Dimensions of quality of life in people with non-insulin-dependent diabetesA Hirsch
Krankenhaus Bethanien, Hamburg, Germany
Qual Life Res 9:207-18. 2000..A stratified sample of 144 patients who were attending one of nine special hospitals for people with diabetes at the time of the study were given the questionnaires twice...
- Acute myocardial infarction and congestive heart failure outcomes at specialty cardiac hospitalsBrahmajee K Nallamothu
Health Services Research and Development Center of Excellence, Ann Arbor VA Medical Center, and Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Mich, USA
Circulation 116:2280-7. 2007..Outcomes of patients with acute myocardial infarction (AMI) and congestive heart failure (CHF) at specialty cardiac hospitals are uncertain...
- [Leprosy--a stigma in the 21st century]Orsolya Falus
Pecsi Tudomanyegyetem, Allam es Jogtudomanyi Kar, Jogtörténeti Tanszék, Pecs
Orv Hetil 152:246-51. 2011..In the process of time the medical attendance concerning leprous was organized in special hospitals called "leprosoriums" built on river-banks...
- [Parotid tumors: a two-year experience of Otolaryngology Department at MSS Hospital in Warsaw]Mirosława Pietniczka-Załeska
Oddział Otolaryngologii Miedzyleskiego Szpitala Specjalistycznego w Warszawie
Otolaryngol Pol 63:43-6. 2009..Most of theme--up to 80%--originate from the parotid gland. The aim of the study is to present current epidemiological data, most frequent complains, our surgical technique, histopathological diagnosis, complications rate and follow-up...
- Improving Treatment of Newly Diagnosed OsteoporosisPeter Cram; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, this work will serve as a model for examining the barriers to and improving treatment of other chronic diseases identified through screening. ..
- Improving Treatment of Newly Diagnosed OsteoporosisPeter Cram; Fiscal Year: 2009..Finally, this work will serve as a model for examining the barriers to and improving treatment of other chronic diseases identified through screening. ..
- Cardiac care in specialty and general hospitalsPeter M Cram; Fiscal Year: 2010..Together these analyses will provide much needed information on the relative quality of care provided by specialty cardiac hospitals to policy makers, payors, providers and patients. ..
- Cardiac care in specialty and general hospitalsPeter Cram; Fiscal Year: 2009..Together these analyses will provide much needed information on the relative quality of care provided by specialty cardiac hospitals to policy makers, payors, providers and patients. ..
- A Patient Activation Intervention to Enhance Bone HealthPeter M Cram; Fiscal Year: 2010..Equally important, our intervention could easily be modified to include other patient populations and chronic diseases. ..
- Improving Treatment of Newly Diagnosed OsteoporosisPeter Cram; Fiscal Year: 2006..Finally, this work will serve as a model for examining the barriers to and improving treatment of other chronic diseases identified through screening. ..
- MEDICAID MGD CARE FOR CHILDREN WITH SPEC HLTH CARE NEEDSJEAN MITCHELL; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Financial Incentives, Treatment of Medicare Patients with Spine Problems and ChanJean M Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 2010..Moreover, such information will be highly relevant regarding the ongoing debate over how to control Medicare and other health care spending. ..
- Primary HIV Infection: the Public Health PerspectiveJoanne Stekler; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Partial meniscectomy vs. nonoperative mgmt. in meniscal tear with OA: an RCTJeffrey Katz; Fiscal Year: 2009..Presently, clinicians do not know whether this operation is better than nonoperative therapy. We propose a multicenter randomized controlled trial to rigorously compare these two approaches. ..
- Low-frequency HIV-1 Drug Resistance in Primary HIV-1 InfectionJOANNE DONNA STEKLER; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Partial meniscectomy vs. nonoperative mgmt. in meniscal tear with OA: an RCTJEFFREY NEIL KATZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..Presently, clinicians do not know whether this operation is better than nonoperative therapy. We propose a multicenter randomized controlled trial to rigorously compare these two approaches. ..
- Partial meniscectomy vs. nonoperative mgmt. in meniscal tear with OA: an RCTJeffrey Katz; Fiscal Year: 2009..The study activities will build the evidence to inform clinicians and policy makers of short-term benefits and longer term effects of APM and nonoperative management of meniscal tears in patients with OA. ..
- Comparisons of Public Health Screening Methods for Acute and Early HIV InfectionJoanne Stekler; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Immunosupression-Resistant Gene Modified Donor T CellsGeorge Georges; Fiscal Year: 2009..Results from these studies have the strong potential to be directly translated to future gene therapy clinical trials. ..
- Gene Modified Donor T Cell Infusion into Mixed ChimerasGeorge Georges; Fiscal Year: 2003..If successful, this study could translate into improved control of the GVH reaction and improved survival after allogeneic HCT. ..
- HOW NURSING AFFECTS THE VOLUME-OUTCOMES RELATIONSHIPLinda Aiken; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Long-Term Outcomes of NO for Ventilated Premature BabiesDerek Angus; Fiscal Year: 2003..Finally, our data will allow assessment of the robustness of early proxies for subsequent outcomes, key for future study design in this area. ..
- HIV IN SEMEN--EFFECTS OF STDSMyron Cohen; Fiscal Year: 1999..We believe that this information will be important in further development of both behavioral and vaccine HIV prevention strategies. ..
- OUTCOMES OF HOSPITAL STAFFINGLinda Aiken; Fiscal Year: 1999....
- Immunosupression-Resistant Gene Modified Donor T CellsGeorge Georges; Fiscal Year: 2007..Results from these studies have the strong potential to be directly translated to future gene therapy clinical trials. ..
- HIV IN SEMEN--EFFECTS OF STDS AND ANTIVIRAL THERAPYMyron Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of these studies should provide further insight into the regulation of excretion of HIV in semen, transmission of HIV, and to inform public health HIV prevention policies. ..
- Impact of Specialty Hospitals on Procedure UtilizationBrahmajee Nallamothu; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Outcomes of Nurse Practice EnvironmentsLinda Aiken; Fiscal Year: 2007..This research has the potential to advance the field of nursing outcomes research and to yield critical insights relevant to stemming the flight of nurses from front line care roles and improving hospital outcomes. ..
- Comparisons of Public Health Screening Methods for Acute and Early HIV InfectionJOANNE DONNA STEKLER; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Musculoskeletal Research and Mentoring ProgramsJeffrey Katz; Fiscal Year: 2007..The trial, as well as my other research programs, will provide rich mentored research opportunities for trainees. ..
- RCT of Arthroscopic Partial Meniscectomy in OAJeffrey Katz; Fiscal Year: 2004..If funded, these planning activities would enable us initiate the full trial with minimal delay. ..
- Predictors of Skin Cancer in Commercial Airline PilotsJoyce Nicholas; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Nursing Impact on Care Outcomes for Chronically Ill and Minority PatientsLinda H Aiken; Fiscal Year: 2010..Disparities in hospital outcomes by race and ethnicity persist. This study examines whether improving nursing resources in hospitals would be a potentially effective strategy to improve outcomes in these overlapping populations. ..
- GENETIC STUDIES OF ANEURYSMAL SUBARACHNOID HEMORRHAGEMark Alberts; Fiscal Year: 2003..This research project combined with the PI's background and expertise provide a wide range of patient-oriented mentorship opportunities in clinical and genetic research...