Summary: Centers for storing various parts of the eye for future use.
Publications162 found, 100 shown here
- Corneoscleral rim cultures: lack of utility and implications for clinical decision-making and infection prevention in the care of patients undergoing corneal transplantationR J Everts
Clinical Microbiology Laboratory, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Cornea 20:586-9. 2001..Furthermore, eye banks should prospectively track recipients who develop clinical endophthalmitis, immediately notify the corneal ..
- An improved spinning lens test to determine the stiffness of the human lensH J Burd
Department of Engineering Science, University of Oxford, Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3PJ, UK
Exp Eye Res 92:28-39. 2011..A numerical optimisation procedure is used to determine the stiffness parameters that provide a best fit between the finite element model and the experimental data. Sample results are presented for a human lens of age 33 years...
- Validation of tissue quality parameters for donor corneas, designated for emergency cases: corneal graft survivalWilhelmina J Rijneveld
Cornea Bank Amsterdam, Department of Euro Tissue Bank, Beverwijk, The Netherlands
Acta Ophthalmol 89:734-40. 2011..To validate tissue quality parameters for donor corneas designated for emergency grafting for corneal graft survival...
- Pan-corneal endothelial viability assessment: application to endothelial grafts predissected by eye banksAurelien Pipparelli
Laboratory for Corneal Graft Biology, Engineering and Imaging, Faculty of Medicine, Jean Monnet University, Saint Etienne, France
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:6018-25. 2011..To present an experimental method for determining the viable cell pool of corneal endothelia and its application to assessing predissected endothelial grafts...
- Corneal grafting and bankingNiels Ehlers
Danish Eye Bank, Department of Ophthalmology, Arhus University Hospital, Arhus, Denmark
Dev Ophthalmol 43:1-14. 2009..Developments in years to come may lead to control of graft biomechanics and optics. This technical development tends to favour a centralization...
- Is manual counting of corneal endothelial cell density in eye banks still acceptable? The French experienceG Thuret
Cell Survival and Adhesion in Cancers and Graffs Research Group, EA 3063, Faculty of Medicine, and Ophthalmology Department, Bellevue University Hospital, Saint Etienne, France
Br J Ophthalmol 87:1481-6. 2003To examine the differences in manual endothelial cell counting methods in French eye banks and to analyse whether these differences could explain some substantial discrepancies observed in endothelial cell density (ECD) for corneas made ..
- Femtosecond laser preparation of donor tissue from the endothelial sideShameema Sikder
University of Arizona, College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ, USA
Cornea 25:416-22. 2006..We investigated the use of a viscoelastic "cushion" to protect the endothelium during applanation and laser delivery...
- Central thickness variation in precut DSAEK donor graftsMarianne O Price
J Cataract Refract Surg 34:1423-4. 2008
- Comparison of donor insertion techniques for descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplastyJodhbir S Mehta
Singapore National Eye Centre, Singapore
Arch Ophthalmol 126:1383-8. 2008..To evaluate the difference in endothelial cell damage between 2 donor insertion techniques for Descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK)...
- Precut tissue in Descemet's stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty donor characteristics and early postoperative complicationsEdwin S Chen
Devers Eye Institute, Portland, Oregon 97210, USA
Ophthalmology 115:497-502. 2008..To describe donor characteristics of eye bank-prepared precut tissue used in Descemet's stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK) and report any increase in immediate postoperative complications associated with its use...
- Factors affecting eye donation from postmortem cases in a tertiary care hospitalRadhika Tandon
Rajendra Prasad Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029
Cornea 23:597-601. 2004..To evaluate the responses to requests for eye donation from relatives of postmortem cases in a tertiary care hospital in India...
- Microbial keratitis identified during eye bank screen of corneoscleral tissue harvested from patients with laser in situ keratomileusis historyV Vinod Mootha
Department of Surgery Division of Ophthalmology, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 122:1058-60. 2004
- Availability of donor corneal tissue for transplantationAmitabha Raychaudhuri
Department of Ophthalmology, Bankura Sammilani Medical College, Bankura, West Bengal, India
Trop Doct 34:99-101. 2004..Twenty-three of 50 tissues (46%) available from donors aged 75 years or younger were acceptable while 14 of 58 (24.1%) tissues from donors over 75 years were acceptable...
- Effect of ex vivo gene transfer with an adenoviral vector on human eye bank corneasMichael A Thiel
Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospital Zurich, CH 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Ophthalmic Res 37:67-71. 2005..Ex vivo gene transfer to donor corneas using adenoviral vectors has gained increasing attention. This study investigates the effect of adenovirus-mediated gene transfer on endothelial cell (EC) count in human eye bank corneas...
- In situ ultrahigh-resolution optical coherence tomography characterization of eye bank corneal tissue processed for lamellar keratoplastyJamin S Brown
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Cornea 27:802-10. 2008..To use optical coherence tomography (OCT) as a noninvasive tool to perform in situ characterization of eye bank corneal tissue processed for lamellar keratoplasty...
- Eye bank survey of surgeons using precut donor tissue for descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplastyAnna S Kitzmann
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Cornea 27:634-9. 2008..To assess surgeon satisfaction with precut corneal tissue from 1 eye bank for Descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK). Surgical techniques and predictors of procedural success were also examined...
- Infectious disease risk factors of corneal graft donorsSohela S Hassan
Department of Ophthalmology, Cullen Eye Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, 6565 Fannin St, NC 205, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 126:235-9. 2008..To determine how donor health status affects the risk of infection after corneal transplant...
- [To standardize the eye bank in China]Zhi qiang Pan
Zhonghua Yan Ke Za Zhi 41:385-6. 2005..The storage method of corneal medium, safety of biomaterials usage, propaganda of the corneal donation were also emphasized. It is important to strengthen the basic research of the preservation of cornea tissue in China...
- Ecologic effects on eye bankingSohela S Hassan
Cullen Eye Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 142:1062-4. 2006..To examine the climatic conditions at corneal donation for microbial categories of postkeratoplasty endophthalmitis that have been reported to a national surveillance registry...
- [Cornea donation: improving hospital coordination]A Geissler
Réseau de Prélèvement, Coordination Hospitalière, CHU Marseille
J Fr Ophtalmol 28:252-6. 2005..A written selection protocol for potential donors was adopted and telephone interviews to obtain family consent were conducted using a standardized procedure...
- Efficiency of blood culture bottles for the fungal sterility testing of corneal organ culture mediaG Thuret
Department of Ophthalmology, Bellevue Hospital, 25 Boulevard Pasteur, F 42055 Saint Etienne Cedex 2, France
Br J Ophthalmol 89:586-90. 2005..Consequently, eye banks often quarantine corneas for 10 days or more before passing them for grafting...
- Eye-banking risk factors for fungal endophthalmitis compared with bacterial endophthalmitis after corneal transplantationSohela S Hassan
Department of Ophthalmology, Cullen Eye Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 139:685-90. 2005..To track the relative frequency and explore possible risk factors of fungal compared with bacterial endophthalmitis after corneal transplantation...
- Precut tissue for descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty: complications are from technique, not tissueMark A Terry
Cornea 27:627-9. 2008
- Regeneration with proliferation of the endothelium of cultured human donor corneas with extended postmortem timeJon Klokk Slettedal
Center for Eye Research, Department of Ophthalmology, Ullevaal University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Cornea 27:212-9. 2008..To examine the endothelium of donor corneas with extended postmortem time for survival and reparative mechanisms in an eye bank organ culture storage system...
- An evaluation of image quality and accuracy of eye bank measurement of donor cornea endothelial cell density in the Specular Microscopy Ancillary StudyJonathan H Lass
Cornea Donor Study Coordinating Center, Jaeb Center for Health Research, 15310 Amberly Drive, Suite 350, Tampa, FL 33647, USA
Ophthalmology 112:431-40. 2005..donor corneal endothelial specular image quality, compare the central endothelial cell density determined by eye banks with the endothelial cell density determined by a central specular microscopy reading center, and evaluate donor ..
- Precut tissue for descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplastyFrancis W Price
Cornea 27:630-1. 2008
- Comparison of the femtosecond laser (IntraLase) versus manual microkeratome (Moria ALTK) in dissection of the donor in endothelial keratoplasty: initial study in eye bank eyesYian Jin Jones
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA, USA
Cornea 27:88-93. 2008..To determine the safety and efficacy of a femtosecond laser (IntraLase) and manual microkeratome (Moria ALTK) in creating precut endothelial keratoplasty donor tissue...
- Precut tissue for descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplastyMark S Gorovoy
Cornea 27:632-3. 2008
- Influence of temporary hypothermia on corneal endothelial cell density during organ culture preservationJan Schroeter
Department of Ophthalmology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353, Berlin, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 246:369-72. 2008....
- Awareness of eye donation in an adult population of southern India. A pilot studyBrinda Priyadarshini
Aravind Eye Care System, and Lions Aravind Institute of Community Ophthalmology, Madurai, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 51:101-4. 2003..To determine "awareness of eye donation" and corneal transplantation in an adult population of southern India...
- Comparison of two semiautomated methods for evaluating endothelial cells of eye bank corneasNilanjana Deb-Joardar
Laboratory for Biology, Engineering and Imaging of Corneal Grafts, Faculty of Medicine, Saint Etienne, France
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:3077-82. 2007..To compare two semiautomated methods of evaluating endothelial cells of eye bank corneas...
- Screening for previous refractive surgery in eye bank corneas by using optical coherence tomographyRoger C Lin
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Cornea 26:594-9. 2007..To use optical coherence tomography (OCT) to detect previous refractive surgery in donor corneas...
- Introduction of corneal astigmatism through placement of a scleral fixation ring in eye bank eyesJ C Rudd
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Cornea 20:864-5. 2001..0 +/- 1.49 D) versus the 18-mm ring (2.14 +/- 1.51 D; p = 0.04.). CONCLUSIONS: Significant IA can occur with placement of fixation rings, especially when suture placement is near the insertions of the rectus muscles...
- Eye banking error: report of a donor cornea with a soft contact lens left in placeMichael P Ehrenhaus
UCSD Shiley Eye Center, La Jolla, CA, USA
Cornea 25:359-60. 2006..To report the first known case of a donor cornea being examined and shipped with a soft contact lens in place...
- Microkeratome versus femtosecond laser predissection of corneal grafts for anterior and posterior lamellar keratoplastyOlan Suwan-apichon
Wilmer Ophthalmological Institute, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21287 9278, USA
Cornea 25:966-8. 2006..To compare 2 different techniques for predissection of human anterior and posterior lamellar corneal grafts for eye bank storage...
- The effect of state legislation on eye donationW J Heng
Cornea Service, Wills Eye Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Cornea 20:475-9. 2001..A small increase in the donor age limit would increase the number of eye donations without having to expand the potential donor pool. Education of the public may help to improve the family consent rate...
- Eye banking and screening for Creutzfeldt-Jakob diseaseR H Kennedy
Exponent, Inc, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 119:721-6. 2001..Screening for symptoms of CJD would have minimal impact on safety, but would reduce donor supply and likely result in many patients not receiving needed treatment...
- Eye bank issues: II. Preservation techniques: warm versus cold storageElisabeth Pels
Cornea Bank Amsterdam, Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience, Meibergdreef 47, 1105 BA Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int Ophthalmol 28:155-63. 2008Most of the tissue used for penetrating keratoplasty is issued through eye banks that store the corneoscleral button either in hypothermic storage at 2-6 degrees C or in organ culture at 31-37 degrees C...
- Evaluation of repeatability for the automatic estimation of endothelial cell density in donor corneasAlfredo Ruggeri
Department of Information Engineering, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Br J Ophthalmol 91:1213-5. 2007..The repeatability of an automatic system for estimation of endothelial cell density (ECD) from microscopy images in donor corneas was assessed...
- Impact of new lamellar techniques of keratoplasty on eye bank activityMarc Muraine
Department of Ophthalmology, Hopital Charles Nicolle, boulevard Gambetta, 76031 Cedex Rouen, France
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 245:32-8. 2007..Because this technique enables surgeons to use corneal grafts with low endothelial density, the aim of this paper was to determine whether this type of innovation has had a significant impact on eye bank activity...
- Detection of hepatitis C virus in the corneas of seropositive donorsH M Lee
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Toronto, The Toronto Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Cornea 20:37-40. 2001..Routine HCV serologic testing for all potential corneal donors and rejection of corneal tissues based on HCV seropositivity is certainly justifiable...
- Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: perceptions and realities of riskS Louise Moffatt
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 34:635-6. 2006
- Two cases of a penetrating keratoplasty with tissue from a donor who had undergone LASIK surgeryAdi Michaeli-Cohen
Department of Ophthalmology, Toronto Western Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Cornea 21:111-3. 2002..To report two cases of penetrating keratoplasty using tissue from a donor who had undergone laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis (LASIK) surgery before its transplantation...
- Transplantation of ocular tissue from a donor with sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob diseaseAndrew B Tullo
Manchester Royal Eye Hospital, Manchester, UK
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 34:645-9. 2006..We report an incident in the UK in 1997 in which both corneas and scleras from a donor, subsequently confirmed to have had sCJD, were transplanted. The final clinical outcome for two surviving recipients is still not yet known...
- Interface fluid syndrome in human eye bank corneas after LASIK: causes and pathogenesisDaniel G Dawson
Emory Eye Center, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Ophthalmology 114:1848-59. 2007..To evaluate the effects of corneal edema on human donor corneas that had previous LASIK using a laboratory model with histologic and ultrastructural correlations...
- Sterile structural imaging of donor cornea by optical coherence tomographyAljoscha S Neubauer
Department of Ophthalmology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Mathildenstrasse 8, 80336 Munich, Germany
Cornea 21:490-4. 2002..The purpose of the study was to demonstrate a new noncontact method for sterile measurement of structure and thickness of donor cornea with use of optical coherence tomography (OCT)...
- Assessment of eye bank-prepared posterior lamellar corneal tissue for endothelial keratoplastyLinda Rose
Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Ophthalmology 115:279-86. 2008..To evaluate eye bank-prepared tissue for Descemet's stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK)...
- Corneal banking and grafting: the background to the Danish Eye Bank System, where corneas await their patientsNiels Ehlers
Department of Opthalmology, Arhus University Hospital, Denmark
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 80:572-8. 2002
- The effect of donor age on corneal transplantation outcome results of the cornea donor studyRobin L Gal
Society of Northeastern New York Lions Eye Bank of Albany, Albany, New York, USA
Ophthalmology 115:620-626.e6. 2008..To determine whether graft survival over a 5-year follow-up period using corneal tissue from donors older than 65 is similar to graft survival using corneas from younger donors...
- Risk of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease transmission by ocular surgery and tissue transplantationW J Armitage
Academic Unit of Ophthalmology, University of Bristol, Bristol Eye Hospital, Lower Maudlin Street, Bristol BS1 2LX, UK
Eye (Lond) 23:1926-30. 2009..in eye donors, the application of appropriate donor selection criteria and the use of single-use instruments in eye banks are currently the most effective means of reducing the risk of CJD transmission...
- Serial analysis of gene expression in the corneal endothelium of Fuchs' dystrophyJohn D Gottsch
Center for Corneal Genetics, Cornea and External Disease Service, The Wilmer Eye Institute, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:594-9. 2003..To compare the gene expression profiles of normal human corneal endothelium with Fuchs' corneal endothelium, by using serial analysis of gene expression (SAGE)...
- Ex-vivo potential of cadaveric and fresh limbal tissues to regenerate cultured epitheliumGeeta K Vemuganti
Department of Ophthalmic Pathology Service, L V Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 52:113-20. 2004....
- Correlation between different measurements within the eye relative to phakic intraocular lens implantationLiliana Werner
David J Apple, MD Laboratories for Ophthalmic Devices Research, John A Moran Eye Center, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 30:1982-8. 2004..To obtain measurements of the white-to-white distance and the anterior chamber and ciliary sulcus diameters in phakic human eyes obtained post-mortem to find a correlation between these measurements...
- The importance of various factors relating to the morphological quality of corneas used for PKP by the Warsaw Eye Bank from 1996 to 2002I Grabska-Liberek
Ann Transplant 8:26-31. 2003..The present data regarding the donor's age and time between death and preservation of corneas obtained from eye banks belonging to the European Eye Bank Association and Polish eye banks were compared...
- In vitro inhibition of human conjunctival mast-cell degranulation by ketotifenC Schoch
Novartis Ophthalmics AG, Basel, Switzerland
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 19:75-81. 2003..The mast cells were prepared using human conjunctival tissues obtained from US eye banks. Cell suspensions were sensitized with human IgE and incubated with ketotifen fumarate or control...
- Evidence suggesting the existence of stem cells for the human corneal endotheliumDavid R Whikehart
Department of Vision Sciences, Vision Science Research Center, School of Optometry, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294, USA
Mol Vis 11:816-24. 2005..In addition, these cells might be of value in culturing or as a source for the synthesis of artificial corneas...
- European coding system for tissues and cells: a challenge unmet?Melvin Reynolds
AMS Consulting, Ross on Wye, UK
Cell Tissue Bank 11:353-64. 2010..The Workshop included over 70 voluntary participants from tissue, blood and eye banks, national ministries for healthcare, transplant organisations, universities and coding organisations; mainly ..
- Supply of human allograft tissue in CanadaJonathan R T Lakey
Clinical Islet Transplant Program, Department of Surgery, University of Alberta, 8215 112 Street, Suite 210, College Plaza, T6G 2C8 Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Cell Tissue Bank 8:135-50. 2007..Two surveys were developed; one for tissue banks processing one or more tissue types and the other specific to eye banks. Thirty nine sites were initially identified as potential tissue bank respondent sites...
- [The short-term results of Descemet's stripping and automated endothelial keratoplasty]Yoshiyuki Ichihashi
Department of Ophthalmology, Tokyo Dental College Ichikawa General Hospital 5 11 13 Sugano, Ichikawa shi, Chiba ken 272 8513, Japan
Nihon Ganka Gakkai Zasshi 113:721-6. 2009..To investigate the short-term results of Descemet's stripping and automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK) for endothelial dysfunction...
- Donor risk factors for graft failure in the cornea donor studyJoel Sugar
University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Cornea 28:981-5. 2009..The purpose of this study was to assess the relationship between donor factors and 5-year corneal graft survival in the Cornea Donor Study...
- Efficacy and safety of international donor sharing: a single-center, case-controlled study on corneal transplantationJun Shimazaki
The Department of Ophthalmology, Tokyo Dental College, 5 11 13 Sugano, Ichikawa shi, Chiba 272 8513, Japan
Transplantation 78:216-20. 2004To overcome the shortage of donor corneas, we are currently using donor corneas supplied by foreign eye banks. This single-center, case-controlled study was conducted to show the efficacy and safety of corneal transplantation using ..
- Precut tissue for Descemet's stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty: vision, astigmatism, and endothelial survivalMark A Terry
Devers Eye Institute, Portland, Oregon 97210, USA
Ophthalmology 116:248-56. 2009..To report 6 and 12 month results using precut tissue for Descemet's stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK) and correlate donor characteristics with clinical outcomes...
- [Corneal transplant utilizing a corneal graft that had undergone laser surgery--case report]Roberta Jansen de Mello Farias
Departamentos de Córnea e Doenças Externas, Hospital Oftalmológico de Sorocaba, Sorocaba, SP
Arq Bras Oftalmol 68:266-9. 2005..Epithelial growth was noticed on the flap interface, although, without progression of this finding. Eye Banks should improve screening techniques to rule out refractive surgery in the donor corneas; there was no impairment ..
- Corneal transplantations from donors with cancerAntonio Lopez-Navidad
Department of Organ and Tissue Procurement for Transplantation and Tissue Bank, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Transplantation 83:1345-50. 2007Acceptance criteria for corneal donation in some eye banks include cadavers with active cancer, both solid and hematological...
- Long-term histopathologic findings in human corneal wounds after refractive surgical proceduresDaniel G Dawson
Department of Ophthalmology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 139:168-78. 2005....
- Donor corneas misidentified with prior laser in situ keratomileusisShin Jeong Kang
Department of Ophthalmology, Emory Eye Center, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Cornea 29:670-3. 2010To evaluate the rate of donor corneas misidentified as recipients of previous laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK) surgery in the eye banks.
- Effect of three different media on serum free culture of donor corneas and isolated human corneal endothelial cellsJ Bednarz
Universitäts Augenklinik Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, D 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Br J Ophthalmol 85:1416-20. 2001..Two specific endothelial cell media (F99 and Endothelial-SFM) were compared with the routinely used medium MEM for their use in serum free cultivation of human corneal endothelial cells (HCEC) and donor corneas...
- Growth patterns of fresh human crystalline lenses measured by in vitro photographic biometryRonald A Schachar
Department of Physics, University of Texas at Arlington, Texas, USA
J Anat 206:575-80. 2005..5 +/- 16.4 years, were obtained by the contributing eye banks. The lenses were removed by the eye bank and shipped in Optisol-GS, a physiologic preservative storage medium, ..
- Correlations of long-term matrix metalloproteinase localization in human corneas after successful laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis with minor complications at the flap marginPierre R Fournié
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, 1638 NW 10th Ave, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 126:162-70. 2008..To determine whether matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) are present long-term in human corneas after successful laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis (LASIK)...
- Specific unwillingness to donate eyes: the impact of disfigurement, knowledge and procurement on corneal donationM Lawlor
Centre for Values, Ethics and the Law in Medicine, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Am J Transplant 10:657-63. 2010..The survey also provides eye banks with reassurance about the acceptability of whole globe procurement, and recognition that research into ..
- Predicting endothelial cell loss and long-term corneal graft survivalW John Armitage
Division of Ophthalmology, University of Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:3326-31. 2003..To evaluate a biexponential decay model for describing the loss of corneal endothelial cells with age as well as the increased loss of cells after cataract surgery and penetrating keratoplasty...
- Evaluation of a new system for obtaining donor lamellar graftsGustavo Victor
Eye Clinic Day Hospital, Sao Paulo University, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Cornea 26:151-3. 2007..To evaluate the performance of a new system for obtaining corneal lamellar grafts of preset sizes. The system consists of the combination of an artificial anterior chamber (MALKS) and an automated microkeratotome (MASYK)...
- Retinal deimination and PAD2 levels in retinas from donors with age-related macular degeneration (AMD)Vera L Bonilha
Department of Ophthalmology, The Cole Eye Institute i31, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Exp Eye Res 111:71-8. 2013..Our observations show increased levels of protein deimination but not PAD2 in AMD retinas and RPE, suggesting a reduced rate of turnover of deiminated proteins in these AMD retinas...
- Validation of cooling effect of insulated containers for the shipment of corneal tissue and recommendations for transportThomas D Miller
SightLife, Seattle, WA, USA
Cornea 32:63-9. 2013..To determine the cooling effect of generic insulated shipping containers in ambient and high-temperature environments...
- Risk factors for donor cornea contamination: retrospective analysis of 4546 procured corneas in a single eye bankStephan J Linke
Department of Ophthalmology, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Cornea 32:141-8. 2013..Microbiological contamination is a common cause for elimination of organ-cultured donor corneas. The aims of the present study were to analyze contamination rates and identify risk factors for contamination...
- Extraocular muscles in patients with infantile nystagmus: adaptations at the effector levelKathleen T Berg
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 130:343-9. 2012..To test the hypothesis that the extraocular muscles (EOMs) of patients with infantile nystagmus have muscular and innervational adaptations that may have a role in the involuntary oscillations of the eyes...
- Impact of eye bank lamellar tissue cutting for endothelial keratoplasty on bacterial and fungal corneoscleral donor rim cultures after corneal transplantationMatthew P Rauen
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA, USA
Cornea 31:376-9. 2012..To determine if the lamellar cut of donor tissue for endothelial keratoplasty (EK) by an eye bank facility is associated with a change in the prevalence of positive bacterial or fungal donor rim cultures after corneal transplantation...
- A study on isolation rate and prevalence of drug resistance among microorganisms isolated from multiorgan donor and donor corneal rim along with a report on existence of bla NDM-1 among Indian populationSowmiya Murali
L and T Microbiology Research Centre, Vision Research Foundation, Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai, India
Curr Eye Res 37:195-203. 2012..To study the rate of isolation and prevalence of drug resistance among bacteria isolated from conjunctival swabs collected from multiorgan donor and Donor corneal rim specimens obtained from a tertiary eye hospital in South India...
- Impact of the cornea donor study on acceptance of corneas from older donorsAlan Sugar
W K Kellogg Eye Center, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Cornea 31:1441-5. 2012..To evaluate retrospectively whether the findings from the Cornea Donor Study (CDS) led to changes in the transplantation of corneas from older donors...
- Sustainability of Routine Notification and Request legislation on eye bank tissue supply and corneal transplantation wait times in CanadaKenneth Lee
University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine, Toronto, Ontario
Can J Ophthalmol 46:381-5. 2011..To assess whether provinces with Routine Notification and Request (RNR) legislation have sustained increases in corneal tissue supply and decreases in wait times for corneal transplantation surgery...
- The effect of standard and transepithelial ultraviolet collagen cross-linking on human corneal nerves: an ex vivo studyMouhamed Al-Aqaba
Division of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, School of Clinical Sciences, University of Nottingham, United Kingdom
Am J Ophthalmol 153:258-266.e2. 2012..To evaluate the early effect of standard and transepithelial collagen cross-linking on human corneal nerves in donor eyes by ex vivo confocal microscopy and acetylcholinesterase staining...
- Posterior lamellar graft preparation: a prospective review from an eye bank on current and future aspectsMohit Parekh
The Veneto Eye Bank Foundation, Padiglione Rama, Via Paccagnella 11, Zelarino, 30174 Venice, Italy
J Ophthalmol 2013:769860. 2013..Thus, prospective potential surgeons and eye banks should now aim at developing new improved surgical techniques in order to prepare the best suited, validated, ..
- Alternatives to allograft corneal transplantationVishal Jhanji
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Curr Opin Ophthalmol 21:301-9. 2010..of donor corneal tissue in some parts of the world which subsequently adds on to the existing burden on the eye banks every year...
- Gene expression in donor corneal endotheliumJohn D Gottsch
Center for Corneal Genetics, The Wilmer Eye Institute, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 600 N Wolfe St, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 121:252-8. 2003..To report gene expression profiles of normal human corneal endothelium with microarray analysis and serial analysis of gene expression (SAGE)...
- Descemet's stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty outcomes compared with penetrating keratoplasty from the Cornea Donor StudyMarianne O Price
Cornea Research Foundation of America, Indianapolis, Indiana 46260, USA
Ophthalmology 117:438-44. 2010..To assess outcomes 1 year after Descemet's stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK) in comparison with penetrating keratoplasty (PKP) from the Specular Microscopy Ancillary Study (SMAS) of the Cornea Donor Study...
- A modified deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty using intacs dissectorsAurora A Torres
Shiley Eye Center, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA
Cornea 29:183-6. 2010..To describe a new technique for deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty in the human eye...
- Validation of tissue quality parameters for donor corneas designated for emergency use in preservation of the globeWilhelmina J Rijneveld
Cornea Bank Amsterdam, Department of Euro Tissue Bank, Beverwijk, The Netherlands
Cornea 29:128-32. 2010..To validate tissue quality parameters for donor corneas designated for emergency grafting to preserve the globe...
- Awareness and knowledge on eye donation among university studentsM K Bharti
Departments of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Med J Malaysia 64:41-5. 2009....
- Evaluation of Megacell MEM as a storage medium for corneas destined for transplantationValerie A Smith
University of Bristol, Academic Unit of Ophthalmology, Bristol Eye Hospital, Bristol, UK
Ophthalmic Res 43:18-25. 2010..and HEPES supplemented with glutamine, antibiotics (EB MEM) and 2% foetal calf serum (FCS) is used in European eye banks to store corneas...
- [An investigation of current situation of corneal donors action in Chongqing]Min Zhao
Department of Ophthalmology, First Teaching Hospital, Chongqing University of Medical Sciences, Chongqing Eye Bank, Chongqing 400016, China
Zhonghua Yan Ke Za Zhi 39:422-6. 2003..To evaluate the current situation of corneal donors and possible way to improve the corneal donation program in the city of Chongqing...
- [Standardization and individuation for corneal clinic and eye bank techniques]Jia Qi Chen
Zhonghua Yan Ke Za Zhi 39:577. 2003
- Practical implications of the law on tissues for cornea banks in GermanyClaudia Hauswald
Interdisciplinary Center for Medicine, Ethics and Law, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Halle Saale, Germany
Dev Ophthalmol 43:125-30. 2009..On August 1, 2007, the Law on the Quality and Safety of Human Tissues and Cells came into force...
- [Discarded corneas due to positive donor's serologic test in the Hospital São Paulo Eye Bank: a two-year study]Marco Túlio Chater Viegas
Departamento de Oftalmologia, Instituto da Visão, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Arq Bras Oftalmol 72:180-4. 2009..To investigate discarded corneas due to positive serologic tests in donors from the Hospital São Paulo Eye Bank (BOHSP) during a two-year period...
- [Insulation characteristics of transport containers for organ cultured donor corneas under different ambient temperatures]J Schroeter
Augenklinik Campus Virchow Klinikum, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 226:629-33. 2009....
- Changing indications for corneal transplantation at the King Khaled Eye Specialist Hospital (1983-2002)Abdul Elah Al-Towerki
Anterior Segment Division, Department of Ophthalmology, King Khaled Eye Specialist Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Cornea 23:584-8. 2004..To identify changing indications for keratoplasty over the last 20 years at a tertiary care eye hospital in a country with rapidly evolving ophthalmic care services...
- Corneal transplantation in Hungary (1946-2009)Laszlo Modis
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Debrecen, Medical and Health Science Center, Debrecen, Hungary
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 39:520-5. 2011..To identify changing trends in indications for corneal transplantation in Debrecen, Hungary over the past 64 years...
- Deposit of glass fragments during femtosecond laser penetrating keratoplastyValeria Nuzzo
Laboratoire d Optique Appliquée, ENSTA Ecole Polytechnique, CNRS UMR 7639, Chemin de la Huniere, 91761 Palaiseau Cedex, France
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 247:107-13. 2009..To evaluate femtosecond laser interaction with the applanation lens during pre-programmed penetrating keratoplasty corneal cuts...
- Keratoplasty in HungaryLaszlo Modis
Department of Ophthalmology, Medical and Health Science Center, University of Debrecen, Debrecen, Hungary
Oftalmologia 53:123-6. 2009..The number of corneal transplantations in Hungary in the past decades was similar to the figures of industrial countries...
- Use of a portable topography machine for screening donor tissue for prior refractive surgeryPaula J Ousley
Lions Vision Research Laboratory of Oregon, Portland, Oregon, USA
Cornea 21:745-50. 2002....
- Internal sclerostomy with the Er:YAG laser using a gradient-index (GRIN) endoscopeAtsushi Mizota
Department of Ophthalmology, Chiba University School of Medicine, Japan
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers 33:214-20. 2002..Scarring at the filtering site, a recurrent problem, may be reduced through proper positioning of the sclerostomy by using an intraocular endoscope...
- Identification of a herpes simplex virus-induced dendrite in an eye-bank donor corneaM V Neufeld
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock 72205 7199, USA
Cornea 18:489-92. 1999..HSV type 1 was confirmed using PCR amplification and restriction endonuclease DNA fragment analysis. CONCLUSION: This case suggests that HSV may remain viable in stored corneal tissue at 4 degrees C...
- CORNEAL DONOR STUDYRoy Beck; Fiscal Year: 2007..Unfortunately, a strong bias exists against use of older donor tissue by many corneal surgeons and eye banks. Many surgeons and eye banks have arbitrarily set an upper age limit for the use of corneal tissue...
- Eye Bank Cornea Screening with Optical Coherence TomographyDavid Huang; Fiscal Year: 2007..Currently, eye banks utilize patient history and microscopic examination to assess the quality of donor corneas and detect previous ..
- Eye Bank Cornea Screening with Optical Coherence TomographyDavid Huang; Fiscal Year: 2009..Currently, eye banks utilize patient history and microscopic examination to assess the quality of donor corneas and detect previous ..
- Eye Bank Cornea Screening with Optical Coherence TomographyDavid Huang; Fiscal Year: 2009..Currently, eye banks utilize patient history and microscopic examination to assess the quality of donor corneas and detect previous ..
- Mechanisms of cell membrane repair in corneal cellsRichard Steinhardt; Fiscal Year: 2004..studies will help define optimal conditions for cell membrane repair in cornea under adverse conditions, such as dry eye, long-term contact lens wear, trauma, surgery and the storage of donated corneas in eye banks.
- A New Artificial Corneal Prosthesis (kPro)Thomas White; Fiscal Year: 2002..00 and $1000.00. The participation of Eye Banks in this project will aid distribution and increase rewards for those participating.
- CORNEAL DONOR STUDY--SPECULAR MICROSCOPY ANCILLARY STUDYJonathan Lass; Fiscal Year: 2003..It is expected that 14 eye banks, 22 clinical sites, and 29 investigators participating in CDS will participate in this Specular Microscopy ..
- A Method to Generate Artificial Cornea ConstructsJeffrey Ruberti; Fiscal Year: 2002..Donor shortages are expected to grow in the future, as European and third world markets depend more on US-based eye banks, demographic changes limit donor pools, and keratorefractive surgery becomes more prevalent...
- QUANTITATIVE ANALYSIS OF AGING RETINAChristine A Curcio; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Genetics of Fuchs Corneal DystrophyJohn Gottsch; Fiscal Year: 2007..Ultimately, knowing the identity of these genes will provide important insights into disease mechanisms. This should contribute towards improved early diagnosis and the development of non-surgical treatments for Fuchs Corneal Dystrophy. ..
- QUANTITATIVE ANALYSIS OF AGING RETINAChristine Curcio; Fiscal Year: 2007..This information is required to determine if treatments that modify hepatic lipoprotein production should be considered for treating early ARM. ..
- Genetics of Fuchs Corneal DystrophyNicholas Katsanis; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Genetics of Fuchs Corneal DystrophyJohn Gottsch; Fiscal Year: 2009..This should contribute towards improved early diagnosis and the development of non-surgical treatments for Fuchs Corneal Dystrophy. ..
- QUANTITATIVE ANALYSIS OF AGING PRIMATE RETINAChristine Curcio; Fiscal Year: 1993..These data can be compared with the distribution of cones in the same eyes and with published estimates of the human cortical magnification factor...
- QUANTITATIVE ANAYLSIS OF AGING RETINAChristine Curcio; Fiscal Year: 2004..This information is required in order to determine if effective treatments for atherosclerosis should be considered for the treatment of early ARM. ..
- Control of Corneal Cell DivisionDAVID WHIKEHART; Fiscal Year: 2004..Current technology depends on a reserve of donor corneas at local eye banks that strain to keep up with demand...
- Control of Eye Melanoma MetastasisHans Grossniklaus; Fiscal Year: 2007..The third aim determines the mechanism of combined angiostatin/IFN control of the micrometastases using methods in the first two aims. ..
- Epidemiology of Postkeratoplasty EndophthalmisSohela Hassan; Fiscal Year: 2006..individuals will be randomly selected from corneal transplant procedures using donor corneas distributed by US eye banks during this same period...
- The Subproteome in Age-related Macular DegenerationTimothy Olsen; Fiscal Year: 2007..This information will enable us to generate a rational approach to identify targeted therapies. ..