Summary: Centers for storing various parts of the eye for future use.
Publications192 found, 100 shown here
- Corneoscleral rim cultures: lack of utility and implications for clinical decision-making and infection prevention in the care of patients undergoing corneal transplantationR J Everts
Clinical Microbiology Laboratory, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Cornea 20:586-9. 2001..Furthermore, eye banks should prospectively track recipients who develop clinical endophthalmitis, immediately notify the corneal ..
- [Corneal harvesting from donors over 85 years of age: cornea outcome after banking and grafting]P Gain
Service d Ophtalmologie pavillon 50A, CHRU de Bellevue, 25, Bd Pasteur, 42055 Saint Etienne Cedex 2
J Fr Ophtalmol 25:274-89. 2002..To study the suitability of corneas from very old donors for graft after organ culture and their clinical and endothelial outcomes in recipients after perforating keratoplasty...
- Femtosecond laser preparation of donor tissue from the endothelial sideShameema Sikder
University of Arizona, College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ, USA
Cornea 25:416-22. 2006..We investigated the use of a viscoelastic "cushion" to protect the endothelium during applanation and laser delivery...
- Validation of tissue quality parameters for donor corneas, designated for emergency cases: corneal graft survivalWilhelmina J Rijneveld
Cornea Bank Amsterdam, Department of Euro Tissue Bank, Beverwijk, The Netherlands
Acta Ophthalmol 89:734-40. 2011..To validate tissue quality parameters for donor corneas designated for emergency grafting for corneal graft survival...
- Pan-corneal endothelial viability assessment: application to endothelial grafts predissected by eye banksAurelien Pipparelli
Laboratory for Corneal Graft Biology, Engineering and Imaging, Faculty of Medicine, Jean Monnet University, Saint Etienne, France
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:6018-25. 2011..To present an experimental method for determining the viable cell pool of corneal endothelia and its application to assessing predissected endothelial grafts...
- An improved spinning lens test to determine the stiffness of the human lensH J Burd
Department of Engineering Science, University of Oxford, Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3PJ, UK
Exp Eye Res 92:28-39. 2011..A numerical optimisation procedure is used to determine the stiffness parameters that provide a best fit between the finite element model and the experimental data. Sample results are presented for a human lens of age 33 years...
- Is manual counting of corneal endothelial cell density in eye banks still acceptable? The French experienceG Thuret
Cell Survival and Adhesion in Cancers and Graffs Research Group, EA 3063, Faculty of Medicine, and Ophthalmology Department, Bellevue University Hospital, Saint Etienne, France
Br J Ophthalmol 87:1481-6. 2003To examine the differences in manual endothelial cell counting methods in French eye banks and to analyse whether these differences could explain some substantial discrepancies observed in endothelial cell density (ECD) for corneas made ..
- Corneal grafting and bankingNiels Ehlers
Danish Eye Bank, Department of Ophthalmology, Arhus University Hospital, Arhus, Denmark
Dev Ophthalmol 43:1-14. 2009..Developments in years to come may lead to control of graft biomechanics and optics. This technical development tends to favour a centralization...
- Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: perceptions and realities of riskS Louise Moffatt
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 34:635-6. 2006
- Impact of new lamellar techniques of keratoplasty on eye bank activityMarc Muraine
Department of Ophthalmology, Hopital Charles Nicolle, boulevard Gambetta, 76031 Cedex Rouen, France
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 245:32-8. 2007..Because this technique enables surgeons to use corneal grafts with low endothelial density, the aim of this paper was to determine whether this type of innovation has had a significant impact on eye bank activity...
- Transplantation of ocular tissue from a donor with sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob diseaseAndrew B Tullo
Manchester Royal Eye Hospital, Manchester, UK
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 34:645-9. 2006..We report an incident in the UK in 1997 in which both corneas and scleras from a donor, subsequently confirmed to have had sCJD, were transplanted. The final clinical outcome for two surviving recipients is still not yet known...
- Microkeratome versus femtosecond laser predissection of corneal grafts for anterior and posterior lamellar keratoplastyOlan Suwan-apichon
Wilmer Ophthalmological Institute, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21287 9278, USA
Cornea 25:966-8. 2006..To compare 2 different techniques for predissection of human anterior and posterior lamellar corneal grafts for eye bank storage...
- Corneal banking and grafting: the background to the Danish Eye Bank System, where corneas await their patientsNiels Ehlers
Department of Opthalmology, Arhus University Hospital, Denmark
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 80:572-8. 2002
- Eye banking error: report of a donor cornea with a soft contact lens left in placeMichael P Ehrenhaus
UCSD Shiley Eye Center, La Jolla, CA, USA
Cornea 25:359-60. 2006..To report the first known case of a donor cornea being examined and shipped with a soft contact lens in place...
- Availability of donor corneal tissue for transplantationAmitabha Raychaudhuri
Department of Ophthalmology, Bankura Sammilani Medical College, Bankura, West Bengal, India
Trop Doct 34:99-101. 2004..Twenty-three of 50 tissues (46%) available from donors aged 75 years or younger were acceptable while 14 of 58 (24.1%) tissues from donors over 75 years were acceptable...
- An evaluation of image quality and accuracy of eye bank measurement of donor cornea endothelial cell density in the Specular Microscopy Ancillary StudyJonathan H Lass
Cornea Donor Study Coordinating Center, Jaeb Center for Health Research, 15310 Amberly Drive, Suite 350, Tampa, FL 33647, USA
Ophthalmology 112:431-40. 2005..donor corneal endothelial specular image quality, compare the central endothelial cell density determined by eye banks with the endothelial cell density determined by a central specular microscopy reading center, and evaluate donor ..
- Effect of ex vivo gene transfer with an adenoviral vector on human eye bank corneasMichael A Thiel
Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospital Zurich, CH 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Ophthalmic Res 37:67-71. 2005..Ex vivo gene transfer to donor corneas using adenoviral vectors has gained increasing attention. This study investigates the effect of adenovirus-mediated gene transfer on endothelial cell (EC) count in human eye bank corneas...
- Eye-banking risk factors for fungal endophthalmitis compared with bacterial endophthalmitis after corneal transplantationSohela S Hassan
Department of Ophthalmology, Cullen Eye Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 139:685-90. 2005..To track the relative frequency and explore possible risk factors of fungal compared with bacterial endophthalmitis after corneal transplantation...
- Efficiency of blood culture bottles for the fungal sterility testing of corneal organ culture mediaG Thuret
Department of Ophthalmology, Bellevue Hospital, 25 Boulevard Pasteur, F 42055 Saint Etienne Cedex 2, France
Br J Ophthalmol 89:586-90. 2005..Consequently, eye banks often quarantine corneas for 10 days or more before passing them for grafting...
- [Cornea donation: improving hospital coordination]A Geissler
Réseau de Prélèvement, Coordination Hospitalière, CHU Marseille
J Fr Ophtalmol 28:252-6. 2005..A written selection protocol for potential donors was adopted and telephone interviews to obtain family consent were conducted using a standardized procedure...
- [To standardize the eye bank in China]Zhi qiang Pan
Zhonghua Yan Ke Za Zhi 41:385-6. 2005..The storage method of corneal medium, safety of biomaterials usage, propaganda of the corneal donation were also emphasized. It is important to strengthen the basic research of the preservation of cornea tissue in China...
- Precut tissue for descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplastyMark S Gorovoy
Cornea 27:632-3. 2008
- Factors affecting eye donation from postmortem cases in a tertiary care hospitalRadhika Tandon
Rajendra Prasad Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029
Cornea 23:597-601. 2004..To evaluate the responses to requests for eye donation from relatives of postmortem cases in a tertiary care hospital in India...
- Microbial keratitis identified during eye bank screen of corneoscleral tissue harvested from patients with laser in situ keratomileusis historyV Vinod Mootha
Department of Surgery Division of Ophthalmology, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 122:1058-60. 2004
- Evaluation of repeatability for the automatic estimation of endothelial cell density in donor corneasAlfredo Ruggeri
Department of Information Engineering, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Br J Ophthalmol 91:1213-5. 2007..The repeatability of an automatic system for estimation of endothelial cell density (ECD) from microscopy images in donor corneas was assessed...
- Sterile structural imaging of donor cornea by optical coherence tomographyAljoscha S Neubauer
Department of Ophthalmology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Mathildenstrasse 8, 80336 Munich, Germany
Cornea 21:490-4. 2002..The purpose of the study was to demonstrate a new noncontact method for sterile measurement of structure and thickness of donor cornea with use of optical coherence tomography (OCT)...
- Eye bank issues: II. Preservation techniques: warm versus cold storageElisabeth Pels
Cornea Bank Amsterdam, Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience, Meibergdreef 47, 1105 BA Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int Ophthalmol 28:155-63. 2008Most of the tissue used for penetrating keratoplasty is issued through eye banks that store the corneoscleral button either in hypothermic storage at 2-6 degrees C or in organ culture at 31-37 degrees C...
- Precut tissue in Descemet's stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty donor characteristics and early postoperative complicationsEdwin S Chen
Devers Eye Institute, Portland, Oregon 97210, USA
Ophthalmology 115:497-502. 2008..To describe donor characteristics of eye bank-prepared precut tissue used in Descemet's stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK) and report any increase in immediate postoperative complications associated with its use...
- Comparison of the femtosecond laser (IntraLase) versus manual microkeratome (Moria ALTK) in dissection of the donor in endothelial keratoplasty: initial study in eye bank eyesYian Jin Jones
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA, USA
Cornea 27:88-93. 2008..To determine the safety and efficacy of a femtosecond laser (IntraLase) and manual microkeratome (Moria ALTK) in creating precut endothelial keratoplasty donor tissue...
- Precut tissue for descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplastyFrancis W Price
Cornea 27:630-1. 2008
- Awareness of eye donation in an adult population of southern India. A pilot studyBrinda Priyadarshini
Aravind Eye Care System, and Lions Aravind Institute of Community Ophthalmology, Madurai, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 51:101-4. 2003..To determine "awareness of eye donation" and corneal transplantation in an adult population of southern India...
- The effect of state legislation on eye donationW J Heng
Cornea Service, Wills Eye Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Cornea 20:475-9. 2001..A small increase in the donor age limit would increase the number of eye donations without having to expand the potential donor pool. Education of the public may help to improve the family consent rate...
- Eye banking and screening for Creutzfeldt-Jakob diseaseR H Kennedy
Exponent, Inc, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 119:721-6. 2001..Screening for symptoms of CJD would have minimal impact on safety, but would reduce donor supply and likely result in many patients not receiving needed treatment...
- Infectious disease risk factors of corneal graft donorsSohela S Hassan
Department of Ophthalmology, Cullen Eye Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, 6565 Fannin St, NC 205, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 126:235-9. 2008..To determine how donor health status affects the risk of infection after corneal transplant...
- Precut tissue for descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty: complications are from technique, not tissueMark A Terry
Cornea 27:627-9. 2008
- Regeneration with proliferation of the endothelium of cultured human donor corneas with extended postmortem timeJon Klokk Slettedal
Center for Eye Research, Department of Ophthalmology, Ullevaal University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Cornea 27:212-9. 2008..To examine the endothelium of donor corneas with extended postmortem time for survival and reparative mechanisms in an eye bank organ culture storage system...
- Detection of hepatitis C virus in the corneas of seropositive donorsH M Lee
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Toronto, The Toronto Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Cornea 20:37-40. 2001..Routine HCV serologic testing for all potential corneal donors and rejection of corneal tissues based on HCV seropositivity is certainly justifiable...
- Introduction of corneal astigmatism through placement of a scleral fixation ring in eye bank eyesJ C Rudd
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Cornea 20:864-5. 2001..0 +/- 1.49 D) versus the 18-mm ring (2.14 +/- 1.51 D; p = 0.04.). CONCLUSIONS: Significant IA can occur with placement of fixation rings, especially when suture placement is near the insertions of the rectus muscles...
- Screening for previous refractive surgery in eye bank corneas by using optical coherence tomographyRoger C Lin
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Cornea 26:594-9. 2007..To use optical coherence tomography (OCT) to detect previous refractive surgery in donor corneas...
- Central thickness variation in precut DSAEK donor graftsMarianne O Price
J Cataract Refract Surg 34:1423-4. 2008
- Comparison of two semiautomated methods for evaluating endothelial cells of eye bank corneasNilanjana Deb-Joardar
Laboratory for Biology, Engineering and Imaging of Corneal Grafts, Faculty of Medicine, Saint Etienne, France
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:3077-82. 2007..To compare two semiautomated methods of evaluating endothelial cells of eye bank corneas...
- Eye bank survey of surgeons using precut donor tissue for descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplastyAnna S Kitzmann
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Cornea 27:634-9. 2008..To assess surgeon satisfaction with precut corneal tissue from 1 eye bank for Descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK). Surgical techniques and predictors of procedural success were also examined...
- Two cases of a penetrating keratoplasty with tissue from a donor who had undergone LASIK surgeryAdi Michaeli-Cohen
Department of Ophthalmology, Toronto Western Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Cornea 21:111-3. 2002..To report two cases of penetrating keratoplasty using tissue from a donor who had undergone laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis (LASIK) surgery before its transplantation...
- Assessment of eye bank-prepared posterior lamellar corneal tissue for endothelial keratoplastyLinda Rose
Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Ophthalmology 115:279-86. 2008..To evaluate eye bank-prepared tissue for Descemet's stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK)...
- Interface fluid syndrome in human eye bank corneas after LASIK: causes and pathogenesisDaniel G Dawson
Emory Eye Center, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Ophthalmology 114:1848-59. 2007..To evaluate the effects of corneal edema on human donor corneas that had previous LASIK using a laboratory model with histologic and ultrastructural correlations...
- Influence of temporary hypothermia on corneal endothelial cell density during organ culture preservationJan Schroeter
Department of Ophthalmology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353, Berlin, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 246:369-72. 2008....
- The effect of donor age on corneal transplantation outcome results of the cornea donor studyRobin L Gal
Society of Northeastern New York Lions Eye Bank of Albany, Albany, New York, USA
Ophthalmology 115:620-626.e6. 2008..To determine whether graft survival over a 5-year follow-up period using corneal tissue from donors older than 65 is similar to graft survival using corneas from younger donors...
- Risk of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease transmission by ocular surgery and tissue transplantationW J Armitage
Academic Unit of Ophthalmology, University of Bristol, Bristol Eye Hospital, Lower Maudlin Street, Bristol BS1 2LX, UK
Eye (Lond) 23:1926-30. 2009..in eye donors, the application of appropriate donor selection criteria and the use of single-use instruments in eye banks are currently the most effective means of reducing the risk of CJD transmission...
- Ex-vivo potential of cadaveric and fresh limbal tissues to regenerate cultured epitheliumGeeta K Vemuganti
Department of Ophthalmic Pathology Service, L V Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 52:113-20. 2004....
- Serial analysis of gene expression in the corneal endothelium of Fuchs' dystrophyJohn D Gottsch
Center for Corneal Genetics, Cornea and External Disease Service, The Wilmer Eye Institute, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:594-9. 2003..To compare the gene expression profiles of normal human corneal endothelium with Fuchs' corneal endothelium, by using serial analysis of gene expression (SAGE)...
- The importance of various factors relating to the morphological quality of corneas used for PKP by the Warsaw Eye Bank from 1996 to 2002I Grabska-Liberek
Ann Transplant 8:26-31. 2003..The present data regarding the donor's age and time between death and preservation of corneas obtained from eye banks belonging to the European Eye Bank Association and Polish eye banks were compared...
- In vitro inhibition of human conjunctival mast-cell degranulation by ketotifenC Schoch
Novartis Ophthalmics AG, Basel, Switzerland
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 19:75-81. 2003..The mast cells were prepared using human conjunctival tissues obtained from US eye banks. Cell suspensions were sensitized with human IgE and incubated with ketotifen fumarate or control...
- European coding system for tissues and cells: a challenge unmet?Melvin Reynolds
AMS Consulting, Ross on Wye, UK
Cell Tissue Bank 11:353-64. 2010..The Workshop included over 70 voluntary participants from tissue, blood and eye banks, national ministries for healthcare, transplant organisations, universities and coding organisations; mainly ..
- Supply of human allograft tissue in CanadaJonathan R T Lakey
Clinical Islet Transplant Program, Department of Surgery, University of Alberta, 8215 112 Street, Suite 210, College Plaza, T6G 2C8 Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Cell Tissue Bank 8:135-50. 2007..Two surveys were developed; one for tissue banks processing one or more tissue types and the other specific to eye banks. Thirty nine sites were initially identified as potential tissue bank respondent sites...
- [The short-term results of Descemet's stripping and automated endothelial keratoplasty]Yoshiyuki Ichihashi
Department of Ophthalmology, Tokyo Dental College Ichikawa General Hospital 5 11 13 Sugano, Ichikawa shi, Chiba ken 272 8513, Japan
Nihon Ganka Gakkai Zasshi 113:721-6. 2009..To investigate the short-term results of Descemet's stripping and automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK) for endothelial dysfunction...
- Efficacy and safety of international donor sharing: a single-center, case-controlled study on corneal transplantationJun Shimazaki
The Department of Ophthalmology, Tokyo Dental College, 5 11 13 Sugano, Ichikawa shi, Chiba 272 8513, Japan
Transplantation 78:216-20. 2004To overcome the shortage of donor corneas, we are currently using donor corneas supplied by foreign eye banks. This single-center, case-controlled study was conducted to show the efficacy and safety of corneal transplantation using ..
- Precut tissue for Descemet's stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty: vision, astigmatism, and endothelial survivalMark A Terry
Devers Eye Institute, Portland, Oregon 97210, USA
Ophthalmology 116:248-56. 2009..To report 6 and 12 month results using precut tissue for Descemet's stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK) and correlate donor characteristics with clinical outcomes...
- [Corneal transplant utilizing a corneal graft that had undergone laser surgery--case report]Roberta Jansen de Mello Farias
Departamentos de Córnea e Doenças Externas, Hospital Oftalmológico de Sorocaba, Sorocaba, SP
Arq Bras Oftalmol 68:266-9. 2005..Epithelial growth was noticed on the flap interface, although, without progression of this finding. Eye Banks should improve screening techniques to rule out refractive surgery in the donor corneas; there was no impairment ..
- Corneal transplantations from donors with cancerAntonio Lopez-Navidad
Department of Organ and Tissue Procurement for Transplantation and Tissue Bank, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Transplantation 83:1345-50. 2007Acceptance criteria for corneal donation in some eye banks include cadavers with active cancer, both solid and hematological...
- Long-term histopathologic findings in human corneal wounds after refractive surgical proceduresDaniel G Dawson
Department of Ophthalmology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 139:168-78. 2005....
- Effect of three different media on serum free culture of donor corneas and isolated human corneal endothelial cellsJ Bednarz
Universitäts Augenklinik Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, D 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Br J Ophthalmol 85:1416-20. 2001..Two specific endothelial cell media (F99 and Endothelial-SFM) were compared with the routinely used medium MEM for their use in serum free cultivation of human corneal endothelial cells (HCEC) and donor corneas...
- Predicting endothelial cell loss and long-term corneal graft survivalW John Armitage
Division of Ophthalmology, University of Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:3326-31. 2003..To evaluate a biexponential decay model for describing the loss of corneal endothelial cells with age as well as the increased loss of cells after cataract surgery and penetrating keratoplasty...
- Specific unwillingness to donate eyes: the impact of disfigurement, knowledge and procurement on corneal donationM Lawlor
Centre for Values, Ethics and the Law in Medicine, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Am J Transplant 10:657-63. 2010..The survey also provides eye banks with reassurance about the acceptability of whole globe procurement, and recognition that research into ..
- Growth patterns of fresh human crystalline lenses measured by in vitro photographic biometryRonald A Schachar
Department of Physics, University of Texas at Arlington, Texas, USA
J Anat 206:575-80. 2005..5 +/- 16.4 years, were obtained by the contributing eye banks. The lenses were removed by the eye bank and shipped in Optisol-GS, a physiologic preservative storage medium, ..
- Banking of donor tissues for descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplastyAlessandro Ruzza
Fondazione Banca degli Occhi del Veneto, Venezia, Italy
Cornea 32:70-5. 2013..To meet this expanding requirement, we explored the possibility to preserve these preparations in organ culture...
- Ecologic effects on eye bankingSohela S Hassan
Cullen Eye Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 142:1062-4. 2006..To examine the climatic conditions at corneal donation for microbial categories of postkeratoplasty endophthalmitis that have been reported to a national surveillance registry...
- Cold chain monitoring during cold transportation of human corneas for transplantationM Net
Transplant Services Foundation, Eye Bank of the Hospital Clinic of Barcelona, Hospital Clinic of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Transplant Proc 35:2036-8. 2003..Our packaging system is similar to those used by the main eye banks in Spain and elsewhere in Europe...
- Turning the tide of corneal blindnessMatthew S Oliva
Himalayan Cataract Project, Burlington, VT, USA
Indian J Ophthalmol 60:423-7. 2012..The global ophthalmic community is now poised to scale up widespread access to corneal transplantation to meet the needs of the millions who are currently blind...
- In situ ultrahigh-resolution optical coherence tomography characterization of eye bank corneal tissue processed for lamellar keratoplastyJamin S Brown
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Cornea 27:802-10. 2008..To use optical coherence tomography (OCT) as a noninvasive tool to perform in situ characterization of eye bank corneal tissue processed for lamellar keratoplasty...
- "OSMO-UT-DSAEK" using THIN-C mediumF Bucher
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Cologne, Kerpenerstraße 62, 50924, Cologne, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 251:2181-5. 2013..The aim of this study was to investigate whether additional osmotic deswelling prior to UT-DSAEK improves the quality of the cut surface and leads to a more reliable and deeper cut in UT-DSAEK ("OSMO-UT-DSAEK")...
- Impact of surgeon acceptance parameters on cost and availability of corneal donor tissue for transplantationMaria A Woodward
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Cornea 32:737-40. 2013..To examine the effects of more restrictive donor corneal parameters on the cost and availability of transplantable tissue...
- Preparation of donor corneas: a study of the endothelial populationP Bonci
Department of Ophthalmology, S Maria della Scaletta Hospital, Imola Bologna Italy
Eur J Ophthalmol 18:341-4. 2008..To quantify the endothelial damage in corneal rim excisions prepared in different ways...
- Endothelial evaluation in the cornea bankJan Schroeter
Cornea Bank Berlin, Clinic of Ophthalmology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Berlin, Germany
Dev Ophthalmol 43:47-62. 2009..Recognition of devitalized cells is easily facilitated by vital stainingwith trypan blue...
- Peripheral endothelial cell damage after trephination of donor tissueMark A Terry
Devers Eye Institute, Portland, OR 97210, USA
Cornea 28:1149-52. 2009..To evaluate and quantify the degree and pattern of donor endothelial cell damage, which occurs with mechanical trephination of donor corneal tissue...
- Donor risk factors for graft failure in the cornea donor studyJoel Sugar
University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Cornea 28:981-5. 2009..The purpose of this study was to assess the relationship between donor factors and 5-year corneal graft survival in the Cornea Donor Study...
- Eye banking and corneal transplantation communicable adverse incidents: current status and project NOTIFYPaul J Dubord
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of British Columbia, British Columbia, Canada
Cornea 32:1155-66. 2013....
- Correlations of long-term matrix metalloproteinase localization in human corneas after successful laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis with minor complications at the flap marginPierre R Fournié
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, 1638 NW 10th Ave, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 126:162-70. 2008..To determine whether matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) are present long-term in human corneas after successful laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis (LASIK)...
- Evolving surgical techniques of and indications for corneal transplantation in Ontario: 2000 - 2012Angela Qiao Zhang
Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Western Ontario, London, Ont
Can J Ophthalmol 48:153-9. 2013..To evaluate trends in indications for and preferred surgical techniques of corneal transplantation in Ontario over a 12-year period...
- Presumed air by vitrectomy embolisation (PAVE) a potentially fatal syndromeRobert E Morris
Helen Keller Foundation for Research and Education, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 98:765-8. 2014..We investigated the ability of air to exit the eye through vortex veins after accidental suprachoroidal air infusion...
- Eye banking--are we really up to it in India?Gullapalli N Rao
Indian J Ophthalmol 52:183-4. 2004
- Declining availability of human eye tissues for researchChristine A Curcio
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Alabama School of Medicine, Callahan Eye Foundation Hospital, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0009, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 47:2747-9. 2006
- Sterility control and long-term eye-bank storage of cultured human limbal epithelial cells for transplantationT P Utheim
Center for Clinical Research, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Br J Ophthalmol 93:980-3. 2009..To assess sterility of cultured human limbal epithelial cells (HLEC) and to investigate the viability, morphology and phenotype of cultured HLEC following 2 and 3 weeks of organ culture storage...
- Corneal endothelial autocrine VIP enhances its integrity in stored human donor corneoscleral explantShay Whey M Koh
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 10 S Pine Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:5632-40. 2011..To demonstrate corneal endothelial (CE) integrity enhanced during eye banking by a brief treatment of human donor corneoscleral explant (explant) with CE autocrine trophic factor vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP)...
- Femtosecond laser-assisted keratoplasty: laboratory studies in eye bank eyesJoão Baptista Malta
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, W K Kellogg Eye Center, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Curr Eye Res 34:18-25. 2009..To optimize the surgical technique for performing femtosecond laser-assisted keratoplasty (FLAK) using the IntraLase FS to cut both recipient and donor cornea buttons in eye bank globes...
- Characterization of conditioned media collected from aged versus young human eye cupsAnton M Kolomeyer
Institute of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07101, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:5963-72. 2011..To characterize secretion of in situ retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) from healthy, aged adult, age-related macular degeneration (AMD) adult, and fetal donor eyes and to assess the impact on retinal survival in vitro...
- Evaluation of a new system for obtaining donor lamellar graftsGustavo Victor
Eye Clinic Day Hospital, Sao Paulo University, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Cornea 26:151-3. 2007..To evaluate the performance of a new system for obtaining corneal lamellar grafts of preset sizes. The system consists of the combination of an artificial anterior chamber (MALKS) and an automated microkeratotome (MASYK)...
- [Investigation of eye bank status quo in China]Su Xia Li
Shandong Eye Institute, Shandong Academy of Medical Sciences, Qingdao 266071, China
Zhonghua Yan Ke Za Zhi 47:837-40. 2011..Explore the status quo of eye bank in each province in China...
- Exon-level expression profiling of ocular tissuesAlex H Wagner
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Exp Eye Res 111:105-11. 2013..Known tissue-specific genes were examined and they demonstrated correspondence of expression with the representative ocular tissues. The estimated gene and exon level abundances are available online at the Ocular Tissue Database...
- Comparison of the morphologic changes after selective laser trabeculoplasty and argon laser trabeculoplasty in human eye bank eyesT R Kramer
Emory Eye Center, Emory University School of Medicine, 1365-B Clifton Road N.E, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Ophthalmology 108:773-9. 2001....
- A cost-minimization analysis of tissue-engineered constructs for corneal endothelial transplantationTien En Tan
Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore Singapore National Eye Centre, Singapore
PLoS ONE 9:e100563. 2014..A cost-minimization analysis comparing tissue-engineered constructs to donor tissue procured from eye banks for endothelial keratoplasty was performed...
- Summary of comeal transplant activity Eye Bank Association of AmericaPatricia Aiken-O'Neill
Cornea 21:1-3. 2002
- Trends in the distribution of donor corneal tissue and indications for corneal transplantation: the New Zealand National Eye Bank Study 2000-2009William J Cunningham
New Zealand National Eye Bank, and Department of Ophthalmology, New Zealand National Eye Centre, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 40:141-7. 2012..To investigate the indications for corneal transplantation and the distribution of donor corneal tissue in New Zealand...
- Descemet-stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty donor tissue preparation using the double-pass microkeratome techniqueAaron Waite
University of Colorado Health Science Center, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 39:446-50. 2013..To compare human donor corneal lenticule thickness, endothelial cell viability, area of cell damage, and cell counts between corneal tissue prepared with a double-pass microkeratome cut versus the standard single-pass microkeratome cut...
- Precise temperature control of donor cornea tissue with reusable passive thermal containerShachar Tauber
Adjunct Faculty, Missouri State University, Springfield, MO, USA
Cornea 30:977-82. 2011....
- Evaluation of potential organ culture media for eye banking using human donor corneasT Møller-Pedersen
Department of Ophthalmology, Arhus University Hospital, 8000 Arhus C, Denmark
Br J Ophthalmol 85:1075-9. 2001..This screening was performed in an attempt to establish a rational basis for the development of a serum-free organ culture medium for eye banking...
- Correlation between different measurements within the eye relative to phakic intraocular lens implantationLiliana Werner
David J Apple, MD Laboratories for Ophthalmic Devices Research, John A Moran Eye Center, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 30:1982-8. 2004..To obtain measurements of the white-to-white distance and the anterior chamber and ciliary sulcus diameters in phakic human eyes obtained post-mortem to find a correlation between these measurements...
- Donor age and factors related to endothelial cell loss 10 years after penetrating keratoplasty: Specular Microscopy Ancillary StudyJonathan H Lass
Case Western Reserve University and University Hospitals Eye Institute, Cleveland, Ohio Electronic address
Ophthalmology 120:2428-35. 2013..To examine the effect of donor age and other perioperative factors on long-term endothelial cell loss after penetrating keratoplasty (PKP)...
- Evidence suggesting the existence of stem cells for the human corneal endotheliumDavid R Whikehart
Department of Vision Sciences, Vision Science Research Center, School of Optometry, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294, USA
Mol Vis 11:816-24. 2005..In addition, these cells might be of value in culturing or as a source for the synthesis of artificial corneas...
- Donor corneas misidentified with prior laser in situ keratomileusisShin Jeong Kang
Department of Ophthalmology, Emory Eye Center, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Cornea 29:670-3. 2010To evaluate the rate of donor corneas misidentified as recipients of previous laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK) surgery in the eye banks.
- System for measuring the transmission spectrum of 'in vitro' corneasL Ventura
Laboratório de Física Oftálmica, FMRP USP, Depto de Oftalmologia, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Physiol Meas 21:197-207. 2000We have developed a spectroscopy system dedicated to eye banks in order to standardize the evaluation of the donated corneas, with respect to their transparency...
- Clinical outcomes in descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty with internationally shipped precut donor corneasHiroko Nakagawa
Department of Ophthalmology, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan Electronic address
Am J Ophthalmol 157:50-55.e1. 2014..To report the endothelial cell loss and clinical outcomes in Descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK) with internationally shipped, precut donor corneas...
- Research Resource for Human Organs and TissuesJohn T Lonsdale; Fiscal Year: 2013..acquisition network of over 130 tissue source sites, including organ procurement organizations, tissue banks, eye banks, hospitals and individual donors registered with the NDRI private donor program...
- Artificial Cornea Using New BiomaterialsMAX MAGINNESS; Fiscal Year: 2009..These procedures require the support of eye banks, not available in many world regions with a high incidence of blindness...
- Cornea Donor Studyroy W Beck; Fiscal Year: 2012..One of 43 participating eye banks assigned a donor cornea to each subject using a web-based program to select a cornea at random from those ..
- Eye Bank Cornea Screening with Optical Coherence TomographyDavid Huang; Fiscal Year: 2009..Currently, eye banks utilize patient history and microscopic examination to assess the quality of donor corneas and detect previous ..
- Mechanisms of cell membrane repair in corneal cellsRichard Steinhardt; Fiscal Year: 2004..studies will help define optimal conditions for cell membrane repair in cornea under adverse conditions, such as dry eye, long-term contact lens wear, trauma, surgery and the storage of donated corneas in eye banks.
- A New Artificial Corneal Prosthesis (kPro)Thomas White; Fiscal Year: 2002..00 and $1000.00. The participation of Eye Banks in this project will aid distribution and increase rewards for those participating.
- A Method to Generate Artificial Cornea ConstructsJeffrey Ruberti; Fiscal Year: 2002..Donor shortages are expected to grow in the future, as European and third world markets depend more on US-based eye banks, demographic changes limit donor pools, and keratorefractive surgery becomes more prevalent...
- CORNEAL DONOR STUDY--SPECULAR MICROSCOPY ANCILLARY STUDYJonathan Lass; Fiscal Year: 2003..It is expected that 14 eye banks, 22 clinical sites, and 29 investigators participating in CDS will participate in this Specular Microscopy ..
- CONTROL OF CORNEAL PHYSIOLOGY BY CYCLIC NUCLEOTIDESRONALD WALKENBACH; Fiscal Year: 1991..in the basic research studies of rabbit corneal deturgescence are designed to be equally applicable to use in eye banks to improve both storage and evaluative techniques for human donor eyes...
- SUBMACULAR SURGERY TRIALS PATHOLOGY CENTERHans Grossniklaus; Fiscal Year: 2003..Additionally, eyes obtained post-mortem from patients enrolled in the SST will be studied for pathologic correlation with clinical findings and outcomes. ..
- Control of Eye Melanoma MetastsisHans E Grossniklaus; Fiscal Year: 2010..The third aim determines the mechanism of combined angiostatin/IFN control of the micrometastases using methods in the first two aims. ..
- Control of Eye Melanoma MetastasisHans Grossniklaus; Fiscal Year: 2003..Both the IFN and angiostatin will prevent the progression of micrometastases into metastases by anti-angiogenesis. Angiostatin will prevent metastases by an anti-melanoma invasion effect. ..
- LONGITUDINAL OPTIC NEURITIS STUDYRobin Gal; Fiscal Year: 2006..More than 80% of the original cohort remains in follow up and mechanisms are in place to assure that this high rate will continue so as to provide valid results for the long-term study. ..
- Control of Corneal Cell DivisionDAVID WHIKEHART; Fiscal Year: 2004..Current technology depends on a reserve of donor corneas at local eye banks that strain to keep up with demand...
- NEUROTROPHIC FACTOR MODULATION OF CORNEAL ENDOTHELIUMShay Whey Koh; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Epidemiology of Postkeratoplasty EndophthalmisSohela Hassan; Fiscal Year: 2006..individuals will be randomly selected from corneal transplant procedures using donor corneas distributed by US eye banks during this same period...
- The Subproteome in Age-related Macular DegenerationTimothy Olsen; Fiscal Year: 2008..This information will enable us to generate a rational approach to identify targeted therapies. ..