Summary: Centers for acquiring and storing semen.
Publications128 found, 100 shown here
- Sperm banking for adolescent and young adult cancer patients: sperm quality, patient, and parent perspectivesJill P Ginsberg
Division of Oncology, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 50:594-8. 2008..We aim to evaluate feasibility of offering newly diagnosed patients the opportunity to bank sperm and, to determine the beliefs and decision-making processes of patients and their parents who considered sperm banking...
- The history and principles of cryopreservationD E Pegg
Medical Cryobiology Unit, Department of Biology, University of York, York, United Kingdom
Semin Reprod Med 20:5-13. 2002....
- Cryopreservation of semen from endangered pheasants: the first step towards a cryobank for endangered avian speciesM Saint Jalme
Museum national d histoire naturelle, Laboratoire de Conservation des Especes Animales, Parc Zoologique de Clères, 76690 Clères, France
Theriogenology 59:875-88. 2003..These experiments demonstrated the feasibility of using a very simple and inexpensive method to achieve artificial insemination and cryopreservation of semen in endangered pheasant species...
- Current and future concepts and practices in human sperm cryobankingD Mortimer
Oozoa Biomedical, Box 93012, Caulfeild Village RPO, West Vancouver, BC, Canada V7W 3G4
Reprod Biomed Online 9:134-51. 2004..To assist workers in this area, a series of recommendations as to current best practice are made, based upon conclusions from risk analyses using currently available information...
- Postmortem parenthood and the need for a protocol with posthumous sperm procurementFrances R Batzer
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Fertil Steril 79:1263-9. 2003..This paper discusses the practical and ethical role of posthumous sperm procurement in medical practice and society and submits possible solutions, including the establishment of formal policies and protocols...
- Posthumous sperm procurement: demand and concernsJoshua M Hurwitz
Obstet Gynecol Surv 59:806-8. 2004
- Nationwide use of postmortem retrieved sperm in Israel: a follow-up reportArieh Raziel
Male Infertility and IVF Unit, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Tel Aviv University, Zerifin, Israel
Fertil Steril 95:2693-5. 2011..Four widows elected to discard the frozen sperm and all of the remaining spouses were uninterested in its fate. Because none of the samples were requested for use, the need for sperm procurement should be reconsidered...
- Ex situ conservation of Holstein-Friesian cattle: comparing the Dutch, French, and US germplasm collectionsC Danchin-Burge
AgroParisTech, UMR 1313 Génétique Animale et Biologie Intégrative, 75231 Paris 05, France
J Dairy Sci 94:4100-8. 2011..Gene banks can play an important role in conserving genetic diversity within livestock breeds over time, and may support industry in the future when needed...
- Semen cryopreservation from oncological patients: the Italian experienceG M Colpi
Andrology Service, San Paolo Hospital Polo Universitario, Via di Rudini 8, 20142 Milano, Italy
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 113:S12-3. 2004..The rate of semen sample use for assisted reproduction techniques is similar to international data (5%). At present, semen cryopreservation is possible only in about 20 Italian centers...
- Sperm motility, plasma membrane integrity, and binding capacity to homologous zona pellucida of cryopreserved epididymal spermatozoa in the domestic catNaomi Kashiwazaki
Laboraory of Animal Reproduction, Graduate School of Veterinary Medicine, Azabu University, Kanagawa, Japan
J Reprod Dev 51:735-9. 2005..These results indicated that the freezing system for epididymal sperm used in the present study gives appropriate information for banking the genetic resources of wild felid species...
- The combined use of embryos and semen for cryogenic conservation of mammalian livestock genetic resourcesPaul J Boettcher
Istituto di Biologia e Biotecnologia Agraria, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Milan, Italy
Genet Sel Evol 37:657-75. 2005..However, combining semen with embryos could decrease costs, allowing for the conservation of more breeds, and specific strategies for semen use could decrease the level of relationships in the reconstructed breed...
- Past semen donors' views about the use of a voluntary contact registerMarilyn A Crawshaw
Department of Social Policy and Social Work, University of York, York, YO10 5DD, UK
Reprod Biomed Online 14:411-7. 2007..Some donors would be willing to be approached for information or contact even if they did not register. The findings indicate important policy and practice messages about the ongoing needs of donors...
- Semen cryopreservation for ex situ management of genetic diversity in chicken: creation of the French avian cryobankE Blesbois
Unité de Recherches Avicoles, Syndicat des Sélectionneurs Avicoles et Aquacoles Francaiş, Unité Expérimentale Physologie Aviaire et Parasitologie, Unité Expérimentale Station de Recherches Avicoles, France
Poult Sci 86:555-64. 2007..Current stocks made possible the restoration of more than 96% of the initial genome. This project also provided technical solutions to resolve some of the health problems frequently encountered for gene preservation in poultry...
- Practical aspects of sperm banking for cancer patientsMatt J Tomlinson
Assisted Conception Unit, Birmingham Women s Hospital, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TG, UK
Hum Fertil (Camb) 6:100-5. 2003....
- How would a decline in sperm concentration over time influence the probability of pregnancy?Remy Slama
Unité 569 Epidémiologie, Démographie et Sciences Sociales, INSERM and INED the French National Institute for Demographic Studies, IFR69, 82 rue du General Leclerc, 94276 Le Kremlin Bicetre Cedex, France
Epidemiology 15:458-65. 2004..In practice, the amplitude of this expected effect is not well known and the statistical power of time-to-pregnancy studies to detect it has not been explored...
- Fertility preservation in adolescent males with cancer in the United Kingdom: a survey of practiceA W Glaser
Yorkshire Regional Centre for Paediatric Oncology and Haematology, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, Leeds, UK
Arch Dis Child 89:736-7. 2004
- Normal semen parameters in cancer patients presenting for cryopreservation before gonadotoxic therapyOmid Rofeim
Fertil Steril 82:505-6. 2004..Similar sperm qualities in men with and without cancer were found. Patient and physician awareness and early referral for sperm banking are essential in preserving fertility potential in men with malignancies...
- Recovery of human sperm motility and ability to interact with the human zona pellucida after more than 28 years of storage in liquid nitrogenGary N Clarke
Andrology Unit, The Royal Women s Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Fertil Steril 86:721-2. 2006..In conclusion, human sperm can survive very long-term storage, which is pertinent information for clinicians referring boys and young men for sperm banking before chemotherapy...
- Semen preservation in male adolescents and young adults with cancer: one institution's experienceLisa Bashore
Cook Children s Medical Center, Fort Worth, TX, USA
Clin J Oncol Nurs 11:381-6. 2007..In addition, information on infertility needs to be given to families early in the diagnostic phase to provide them with an opportunity to ask questions...
- Donor anonymityAlec Samuels
Med Leg J 73:71-2. 2005
- Season effect on genitalia and epididymal sperm from Iberian red deer, roe deer and Cantabrian chamoisFelipe Martinez-Pastor
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, Faculty of Biology, University of Leon, 24071 Leon, Spain
Theriogenology 63:1857-75. 2005..More in-depth research needs to be carried out on the quality of sperm salvaged at different times of the year in order to confirm these findings...
- [Requests for utilization of a semen bank among oncological patients. Semen cryopreservation prior to chemotherapy, radiotherapy and surgery]José Manuel González Casbas
Unidad de Reproducción Asistida y Banco de Semen del Hospital Ramón y Cajal, Madrid, Espana
Arch Esp Urol 57:1017-20. 2004..The objective of this article is to review current criteria for semen cryopreservation and its usefulness as a method for preservation of fertility in patients with cancer...
- New Orleans is readyRichard P Dickey
Fertil Steril 90:894-5. 2008
- Inter-sample variability in post-thaw human spermatozoaKiran P Nallella
Center for Advanced Research in Human Reproduction, Infertility and Sexual Function, Glickman Urological Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Cryobiology 49:195-9. 2004..Further research is necessary to understand the mechanism(s) responsible for this variability. This may also assist clinicians utilize semen samples with optimum semen quality in ART procedures...
- Legal considerations for cryopreservation of sperm and embryosTimothy G Schuster
Department of Urology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Fertil Steril 80:61-6. 2003..To summarize the case law for cryopreservation of sperm and embryos and make recommendations for desirable characteristics that should be included in a cryopreservation clinic's disposition agreements...
- Cell and tissue banking plays an important role in the reproductive medicineFranco Dondero
Cell Tissue Bank 7:73-4. 2006
- Oncologists' attitudes and practices regarding banking sperm before cancer treatmentLeslie R Schover
University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030 4009, USA
J Clin Oncol 20:1890-7. 2002..The goal of this study was to survey oncologists in three different practice settings to determine their knowledge, attitudes, and practices regarding referring patients to bank sperm before cancer treatment...
- [The effect of the period of cryopreservative storage on the cryosurvival of human spermatozoa]Jin Xia Ma
Human Sperm Bank, Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, Jiangsu 210029, China
Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 9:122-3. 2003..To study the effect of cryopreservative period on the cryosurvival of human spermatozoa and find out the optimal recovery time of cryopreservation...
- Gaining consent to freeze spermatozoa from adolescents with cancer: legal, ethical and practical aspectsG Bahadur
University College London and UCLH Trust, The Meyerstein Institute of Oncology, Middlesex Hospital, London, UK
Hum Reprod 16:188-193. 2001..The practical approach to gaining consent that we are using seems a logical and practical method to help early adolescent patients to store spermatozoa...
- Prospective, randomized, blinded evaluation of donor semen quality provided by seven commercial sperm banksDouglas T Carrell
Division of Urology and Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Fertil Steril 78:16-21. 2002To evaluate variability in donor semen quality between seven commercial donor sperm banks, within sperm banks, and between intracervical insemination and intrauterine insemination.
- Retrieval and cryopreservation of sperm from spermatocele fluidM A Fischer
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Urology 61:417-20. 2003..Assisted reproductive technologies have led to successful pregnancies and deliveries using sperm harvested from the epididymis and/or testis of infertile men...
- Disposition of sperm donors with resultant abnormal pregnanciesJ A Kuller
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7516, USA
Hum Reprod 16:1553-5. 2001..Inheritance mode appeared to influence decisions to remove donors from sperm banks; however, no clear consensus was noted...
- Current reproductive technology: considerations for the oncologistC A Winkel
Dept of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Oncology (Williston Park) 7:40-5; discussion 46-8, 51. 1993..For men undergoing treatment likely to destroy testicular function, the development of sperm banks to store cryopreserved sperm offers the hope of future fatherhood...
- Evaluation of post-thaw Asian elephant (Elephas maximus) spermatozoa using flow cytometry: the effects of extender and cryoprotectantNikorn Thongtip
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Center for Agricultural Biotechnology, Kasetsaart University, Nakhon Pathom 73140, Thailand
Theriogenology 62:748-60. 2004..The data support the use of TEST + glycerol as an acceptable cryopreservation media of Asian elephant semen for the establishment of sperm banks.
- No reason for a reduction in the number of offspring per sperm donor because of possible transmission of autosomal dominant diseasesPim M W Janssens
Hospital Rijnstate, Alysis Zorggroep, Department of Clinical Chemistry Semenbank, Postbus 9555, 6800 TA Arnhem, The Netherlands
Hum Reprod 18:669-71. 2003..Reduction desired by individual donors can be obtained by means of mutual agreements between sperm banks and donors...
- [Cryopreservation of semen of adolescents and young adult men with cancer]P M W Janssens
Afd Klinisch Chemisch Laboratorium, Ziekenhuis Rijnstate, Postbus 9555, 6800 TA Arnhem
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 148:1981-4. 2004..There is a need for multidisciplinary protocols for oncology centres and sperm banks, so that the timely informing of patients is guaranteed, responsibilities are recorded--with appropriate ..
- The role of sperm banking in fertility preservationO A Olatunbosun
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol 39:283-7. 2012..To investigate factors that influence sperm banking before cancer therapy and assess the use and disposal of banked sperm after cancer treatment...
- Fertility preservation in the male: from childhood to adulthoodP Masson
Northwestern University Feinberg, School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
Minerva Ginecol 64:461-75. 2012..For these reasons, a change in oncologic treatment paradigms has occurred. Now, the offer of fertility preservation to males diagnosed with cancer is a key component of comprehensive oncologic care...
- Introduction: Cancer treatment and male fertility: effects of therapy and current and future management optionsMark Sigman
Division of Urology, Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University and Division of Urology, Rhode Island and The Miriam Hospital, Providence, Rhode Island Electronic address
Fertil Steril 100:1179. 2013..Cancer treatments are detrimental to spermatogenesis. This series reviews effects of anticancer therapies on male fertility, current and future approaches to determine sperm health, and gives recommendations for patient management. ..
- A content analysis of posthumous sperm procurement protocols with considerations for developing an institutional policySarah M Bahm
Stanford Center for Biomedical Ethics, Stanford University, Stanford, California, USA
Fertil Steril 100:839-43. 2013..To identify and analyze existing posthumous sperm procurement (PSP) protocols in order to outline central themes for institutions to consider when developing future policies...
- Gamete donation in France: the future of the anonymity doctrineLaurence Brunet
University of Paris Sorbonne, Paris, France
Med Health Care Philos 16:69-81. 2013..Finally, we shall examine two possible outcomes of the debate, highlighting their respective legitimacy as well as their consequences, as far as the rights of children, the notion of the family, and medical practice are concerned...
- Ethical and practical considerations concerning perimortem sperm procurement in a severe neurologically damaged patient and the apparent discrepancy in validation of proxy consent in various postmortem proceduresJ L Epker
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Erasmus MC University Medical Centre Rotterdam, PO Box 2040, 3000 CA, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Intensive Care Med 38:1069-73. 2012..Intensive care specialists can be confronted with a request for peri- or postmortem sperm procurement, while not being aware of the country-specific provisions...
- The sperm donor programme over 11 years at Newcastle Fertility CentreMadhavi Gudipati
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Trust, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Hum Fertil (Camb) 16:258-65. 2013..centres ceased during this time and an increasing number of patients imported sperm from overseas commercial sperm banks. A waiting list for treatment was set up in 2007 with a gradual increase in waiting time to 18 months in 2010...
- Spermatogonial stem cell preservation in boys with Klinefelter syndrome: to bank or not to bank, that's the questionInge Gies
Department of Pediatrics, UZ Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Fertil Steril 98:284-9. 2012..Retrieval of spermatogonial cells in prepubertal boys with KS should therefore still be viewed as experimental and patients and their parents must be counseled accordingly...
- Number of sperm donors rises despite removal of anonymity in UKMichael Day
BMJ 334:971. 2007
- Sperm cryopreservation in endangered felids: developing linkage of in situ-ex situ populationsW F Swanson
Center for Conservation and Research of Endangered Wildlife, Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden, 3400 Vine Street, Cincinnati, OH 45220, USA
Soc Reprod Fertil Suppl 65:417-32. 2007....
- Sperm banking: use and outcomes in patients treated for testicular cancerChristopher R Girasole
Department of Urologic Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, USA
BJU Int 99:33-6. 2007....
- Testicular function after radioiodine therapy in patients with thyroid cancerPedro W S Rosário
Department of Thyroid, Endocrinology Service, Santa Casa Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Thyroid 16:667-70. 2006..We recommend the routine use of sperm banks in the cases of men who still wish to have children and who will undergo therapy with (131)I activities of 14 ..
- Procedure control and acceptance sampling plans for donor sperm banks: a theoretical studyJose Antonio Castilla
Unidad Reproducción, HU Virgen de las Nieves, Avda Coronel Munoz s n, 181014, Granada, Spain
Cell Tissue Bank 8:257-65. 2007..testing, processing, preservation, storage and distribution of human cells and tissues made it obligatory for sperm banks to set up quality control systems to ensure, among other goals, the satisfactory control of all procedures ..
- Legal and ethical issues in the international transaction of donor sperm and eggsBoon Chin Heng
National University of Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
J Assist Reprod Genet 24:107-9. 2007....
- Factors affecting sperm banking for adolescent cancer patientsG Bahadur
Arch Dis Child 91:715-6. 2006
- Semen quality in men with malignant diseases before and after therapy and the role of cryopreservationMatthias Trottmann
Department of Urology, University Hospital Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Eur Urol 52:355-67. 2007..To review the literature and answer questions about semen quality in young cancer patients before and after therapy and the importance of sperm cryopreservation...
- Establishment of a high-resolution 2-D reference map of human spermatozoal proteins from 12 fertile sperm-bank donorsLing Wei Li
Institute of Reproduction and Stem Cells Engineering, Central South University, Changsha 410078, China
Asian J Androl 9:321-9. 2007..To extend the analysis of the proteome of human spermatozoa and establish a 2-D gel electrophoresis (2-DE) reference map of human spermatozoal proteins in a pH range of 3.5-9.0...
- Deoxyribonucleic acid-damaged sperm in cryopreserved-thawed specimens from cancer patients and healthy menAvital Edelstein
The Institute for the Study of Fertility, Lis Maternity Hospital, Tel Aviv Medical Center, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Israel
Fertil Steril 90:205-8. 2008..e., high), rather than a direct effect of an existing malignancy...
- The use of pornographic materials by adolescent male cancer patients when banking sperm in the UK: legal and ethical dilemmasMarilyn A Crawshaw
Department of Social Policy and Social Work, University of York, York, UK
Hum Fertil (Camb) 10:159-63. 2007..This paper uses material gained through consultation with the eleven largest UK sperm banks and 94 male teenage cancer survivors, to discuss the associated legal and ethical dilemmas, including those ..
- The legacy of sperm banking: how fertility monitoring and disposal of sperm are linked with views of cancer treatmentC Eiser
Department of Psychology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield S10 2TP, UK
Hum Reprod 26:2791-8. 2011..Among them, few attend for fertility monitoring or agree to sperm disposal where fertility recovers. Sperm banks are therefore burdened by long-term storage of samples that may not be needed for conception, with implications ..
- Cancer and fertility: strategies to preserve fertilityK Diedrich
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Clinic of Schleswig Holstein, Campus Lubeck, 23538 Lubeck, Germany
Reprod Biomed Online 22:232-48. 2011..Further prospective studies are required to validate cryopreservation of oocytes and ovarian tissue, in-vitro maturation of oocytes and new vitrification techniques and to identify any long-term sequelae of slow freezing of embryos...
- Easy sperm processing technique allowing exclusive accumulation and later usage of DNA-strandbreak-free spermatozoaT Ebner
Landes Frauen und Kinderklinik, IVF Unit, Linz, Austria
Reprod Biomed Online 22:37-43. 2011..001). As far as is known, this is the first report ona sperm preparation technique concentrating spermatozoa unaffected in terms of DNA damage. The special chambers most probably select for sperm motility and/or maturity...
- [Impact of seasonal variation on pre- and post-thaw donor semen parameters]Xin Zong Zhang
Zhejiang Institute of Planned Parenthood Research, Hangzhou, Zhejiang 310012, China
Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 16:619-22. 2010..To investigate the relationship of seasonal variation with pre- and post-thaw semen parameters as well as the cryosurgical of human spermatozoa...
- Cryopreservation of Atlantic cod Gadus morhua L. spermatozoa: Effects of extender composition and freezing rate on sperm motility, velocity and morphologyI A E Butts
Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Biological Station, St Andrews, NB, Canada
Cryobiology 61:174-81. 2010..Our findings are also highly relevant to the development of cod mariculture and for aiding in conservation efforts of this very important marine species...
- Long-term cryostorage of sperm in a human sperm bank does not damage progressive motility concentrationLeah Yogev
The Institute for the Study of Fertility, Lis Maternity Hospital, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, 6 Weizman Street, Tel Aviv 64239, Israel
Hum Reprod 25:1097-103. 2010..The objective of this study was to determine the effect of the duration of cryostorage in liquid nitrogen on the sperm cells' progressive motility concentration (PMC) in a large study group...
- Fertility concerns for young males undergoing cancer therapyWendy L Hobbie
Cancer Survivorship Program, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia Associate Program Director, Pediatric Oncology Program, School of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania, PA 19104, USA
Semin Oncol Nurs 25:245-50. 2009..The role of the nurse in the education of families and facilitating the sperm banking process will be described...
- Implications of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy transmitted by sperm donationBarry J Maron
Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Center, Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation and Abbott Northwestern Hospital, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55407, USA
JAMA 302:1681-4. 2009..The unintended consequence in which genetic diseases are unwittingly transmitted to offspring is an underrecognized public health issue not previously prioritized by US Food and Drug Administration guidelines...
- Applied reproductive technologies and genetic resource banking for amphibian conservationAndrew J Kouba
Conservation and Research Department, Memphis Zoological Society, 2000 Prentiss Place, Memphis, TN 38112, USA
Reprod Fertil Dev 21:719-37. 2009..The purpose of this review is to summarise the current state of knowledge in the area of assisted reproduction technologies and gene banking for the conservation of amphibians...
- Sperm retrieval from terminally ill or recently deceased patients: a reviewAndrew C Kramer
University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, MD 21201 1595, USA
Can J Urol 16:4627-31. 2009..This review aims to outline the many challenges associated with these requests...
- Genetic testing of sperm donors: survey of current practicesCharles A Sims
California Cryobank, Inc, Los Angeles, CA 90025, USA
Fertil Steril 94:126-9. 2010..To determine which genetic tests are being performed on sperm donor applicants in the United States...
- A sperm-biz overhaulClaudia Kalb
Newsweek 151:41. 2008
- Managing novel reproductive injuries in the law of tort: the curious case of destroyed spermNicolette Priaulx
Centre for Law, Ethics and Society, Cardiff Law School, Cardiff University, UK
Eur J Health Law 17:81-95. 2010....
- History of commercializing sexed semen for cattleD L Garner
GametoBiology Consulting, P O Box 1939, Graeagle, CA 96103 1939, USA
Theriogenology 69:886-95. 2008..Innovative approaches by a diverse group of scientists along with advances in computer science, biophysics, cell biology, instrumentation, and applied reproductive physiology provided the basis for commercializing sexed semen in cattle...
- Use rate and assisted reproduction technologies outcome of cryopreserved semen from 629 cancer patientsN J van Casteren
Department of Urology, Andrology Division, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Fertil Steril 90:2245-50. 2008..To assess the use rate and assisted reproductive technologies (ART) outcome of the cryopreserved semen of cancer patients with an average follow-up of 7 years (range, 2-23 years)...
- Effect of long-term storage on deoxyribonucleic acid damage and motility of sperm bank donor specimensAvital Edelstein
The Institute for the Study of Fertility, Lis Maternity Hospital, Tel Aviv Medical Center, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Israel
Fertil Steril 90:1327-30. 2008..17), whereas the percentage of motile cells was lower (P=.009) after long-term (9-13 years) compared with short-term (1-5 years) storage. Density gradient isolation reduced the difference in sperm motility between the two groups...
- Tigers in trouble: year of the tigerJerry Guo
Nature 449:16-8. 2007
- Fertility clinic, egg donation agency, and sperm bank policiesKatherine M Johnson
Department of Sociology, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
Fertil Steril 96:877-9. 2011To assess the level of openness in U.S. gamete donation policies across fertility clinics, egg donation agencies, and sperm banks.
- Storing reproduction for oncological patients: some points for discussionH Tournaye
Centre for Reproductive Medicine and Research Unit for Reproductive Biology, Brussels, Belgium
Mol Cell Endocrinol 169:133-6. 2000....
- Dead sperm donors or world hunger: are bioethicists studying the right stuff?Timothy F Murphy
University of Illinois at Chicago, USA
Hastings Cent Rep 35:49. 2005
- How would revealing the identity of gamete donors affect current practice?Juan A Garcia-Velasco
IVI Madrid, Rey Juan Carlos University, Madrid, Spain
Reprod Biomed Online 10:564-6. 2005..Previous experiences with patients and donors, as well as different cultural viewpoints in northern and southern Europe, are presented...
- Strategies for fertility preservation in female and male cancer survivorsSergio Oehninger
The Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, Virginia, USA
J Soc Gynecol Investig 12:222-31. 2005..Gonadal tissue cryopreservation and transplantation should be considered experimental in humans for the present time until greater evidence regarding efficacy and safety is accrued...
- Designing deaf babies and the question of disabilityH Dirksen L Bauman
Department of American Sign Language and Deaf Studies, Gallaudet University, Washington, DC 20002, USA
J Deaf Stud Deaf Educ 10:311-5. 2005..This leads to the ironic claim that seeking a deaf child could actually mitigate the conditions of disability within the family...
- Computer simulations to determine the efficacy of different genome resource banking strategies for maintaining genetic diversityV K Harnal
Conservation and Research Center, Smithsonian National Zoological Park, Smithsonian Institution, Front Royal, Virginia, USA
Cryobiology 44:122-31. 2002..The following types of sperm banks were assessed: (1) a "Wild Bank" consisting of sperm (i.e...
- [Bioethical considerations of genetic engineering]M E González-Fraguela
Rev Neurol 35:701-4. 2002..It is very important for it to have a biosocial approach: there must be an unrelenting battle against pseudoscientific ideas and attempts to use the recent advances in Biology for reactionary, antihuman purposes...
- Comparing the clinical outcomes of intrauterine insemination by two different density gradient preparation methodsYung Chieh Tsai
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chi Mei Foundation Medical Center, Tainan, Taiwan, ROC
J Chin Med Assoc 67:168-71. 2004..The aim of this study was to compare 2 different density gradient preparations for sperm separation in respect to sperm recovery, motility, motion parameters and clinical outcome after intrauterine insemination...
- Validation of the sperm quality analyzer and the hypo-osmotic swelling test for frozen-thawed ram and minke whale (Balaenoptera bonarensis) spermatozoaYutaka Fukui
Laboratory of Animal Reproduction, Department of Animal Production Science, Obihiro University of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, Obihiro 080 8555, Japan
J Reprod Dev 50:147-54. 2004..However, sperm concentration and morphologically normal spermatozoa are not assessed accurately by SQA in minke whales...
- Seasonal variations in pre- and post-thaw donor sperm qualityL Yogev
The Institute for the Study of Fertility, Lis Maternity Hospital, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Affiliated to Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Hum Reprod 19:880-5. 2004..The present study was conducted to evaluate seasonal variability in the quality of pre- and post-thaw semen parameters among sperm bank donors...
- Fertility after cancer: a prospective review of assisted reproductive outcome with banked semen specimensAshok Agarwal
Center for Advanced Research in Human Reproduction, Infertility and Sexual Function, Glickman Urological Institute, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Fertil Steril 81:342-8. 2004..To examine the outcome of assisted reproduction techniques (ART) using cryopreserved semen from patients with cancer...
- Assisted reproduction in HIV and HCV infected men of serodiscordant couplesN Garrido
Instituto Valenciano de Infertilidad Valencia, Valencia, Spain
Arch Androl 50:105-11. 2004..This review explores the possibilities offered by assisted reproduction and molecular biology techniques to HIV and/or HCV serodiscordant couples by which they may conceive children with the minimum risk...
- Shortage of sperm donors predicted when anonymity goesClare Dyer
BMJ 328:244. 2004
- Comparison of nitric oxide production motion characteristics of sperm after cryopreserved in three different preparationsC C Chan
Division of Reproductive Endocrinology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
Arch Androl 50:1-3. 2004..NO produced in the swim-up group was significantly lower than the PureSperm group, and the PureSperm group was lower than the semen treated with cryoprotectant group. Best semen quality was achieved due to the decreased NO production...
- Access to infertility treatment: lessons from Patrick's storyAdiva Sifris
Faculty of Law, Monash University
J Law Med 11:9-15. 2003
- Oocyte and semen donation: a survey of UK licensed centresC Murray
Family and Child Psychology Research Centre, City University, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB, UK
Hum Reprod 15:2133-9. 2000..Clinics also reported a shortage of both oocyte and semen donors from specific ethnic groups...
- Nurse practice issues regarding sperm banking in adolescent male cancer patientsJeri F Reebals
University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL, USA
J Pediatr Oncol Nurs 23:182-8. 2006..Lack of knowledge regarding sperm banking could be limiting nurses' willingness to introduce the topic, and education regarding cryopreservation may improve their knowledge and practice...
- Frequency and distribution of chromosome abnormalities in human spermatozoaC Templado
Departament de Biologia Cellular, Fisiologia i Immunologia, Facultat de Medicina, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Bellaterra, Spain
Cytogenet Genome Res 111:199-205. 2005..An association between advancing donor age and increased frequency of numerical and structural chromosome abnormalities has been reported in spermatozoa of normal men...
- Comparison of two methods for obtaining spermatozoa from the cauda epididymis of Iberian red deerFelipe Martinez-Pastor
Cell Biology and Anatomy, University of Leon, 24071 Leon, Spain
Theriogenology 65:471-85. 2006..The cuts method may be more practical on certain occasions, but care must be taken in order to achieve rapid extension of the sample and to avoid contamination in order to improve sample condition...
- Sperm banking in adolescent cancer patientsB Edge
Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences, University of Manchester, UK
Arch Dis Child 91:149-52. 2006..Semen cryopreservation is a widely available method of maintaining fertility in male cancer patients. However this facility is not always used...
- [Identification of the resource suspected sperm by DNA fingerprinting]Wen Bing Zhu
Reproduction and Stem Cell Engineering Institute, Central South University, Changsha 410078, China
Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 29:537-9. 2004..To identify the resource suspected sperm of donor in human sperm bank and apply the parentage testing between the donor and his offspring...
- Gene banking of the neotropical fish Leporinus obtusidens (Valenciennes, 1836): a protocol to freeze its sperm in the fieldP F Taitson
Graduate Program on Vertebrate Zoology, Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais, Laboratory of Cryobiology, Institute of Human Reproduction, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Anim Reprod Sci 105:283-91. 2008....
- Biomedicalizing kinship: sperm banks and the creation of affinity-tiesLaura Mamo
Sociology, University of Maryland, 2112 Art Sociology Building, College Park, MD 20742, USA
Sci Cult (Lond) 14:237-64. 2005
- Who's your daddy?Betsy Streisand
US News World Rep 140:53-6. 2006
- Survival of micro-organisms in cryostorage of human spermF Mazzilli
Department of Medical Pathophysiology, 2nd Faculty of Medicine, Unit of Andrology, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Cell Tissue Bank 7:75-9. 2006..The authors describe the clinical application of semen cryostorage, survival of micro-organism during cryostorage procedures and the risk of cross-contamination...
- Fertility: tissue and cell banking overviewTariq A Shah
Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Wiilliam Beaumont Hospital, 3535 West Thirteen Mile Road, Suite 344 Royal Oak, MI 48073, USA
Clin Lab Med 25:557-69. 2005
- Evaluation of the SQA IIB: a new version of a sperm quality analyzerA Makler
Male Infertility Institute, Rambam Medical Center, Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Fertil Steril 71:761-4. 1999..To evaluate the SQA IIB (Sperm Quality Analyzer; MES-Medical Electronic Systems, Migdal Haemek, Israel), sperm analyzer that claims to read the three main sperm indices through algorithmic means and without a microscope...
- [Cryopreserved human sperm deposits: usability after decades of storage]M Bolten
Klinik für Urologie und Kinderurologie, DRG Krankenhaus Seepark, Langen Debstedt
Urologe A 44:904-8. 2005..Almost all of the deposits exhibited adequate quality at all times during storage. Consequently, 21-year permanent frozen storage in liquid nitrogen is safe regarding aspects of spermatology...
- SPIRIT:Reproductive Peer Counseling for Breast CancerLeslie Schover; Fiscal Year: 2006..In addition, we will conduct 50 semi-structured, qualitative phone interviews with survivors diagnosed under age 45, to better identify and characterize concerns of this young, at-risk group. ..
- Tendrils: A Multimedia Intervention for Women's Sexual Dysfunction after CancerLeslie Schover; Fiscal Year: 2006..Although the causes of these problems are known, and brief counseling is often effective at resolving them, few women have access to such information or services. ..
- Parenthood after CancerLeslie Schover; Fiscal Year: 2004..In the second quarter of 2005 a working group of around 20 will meet to draft a manuscript on proposed clinical guidelines on reproduction and cancer, for submission to a relevant, peer-reviewed journal. ..
- Regulation of Reproductive Function by ActivinTeresa Woodruff; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- GENOME RESOURCE BANKING OF RARE FELID POPULATIONSWilliam Swanson; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Center for Reproductive ResearchTeresa Woodruff; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Sixteenth Ovarian WorkshopTeresa Woodruff; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Inhibin Actions on Reproductive Target TissuesTeresa Woodruff; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- MECHANISM OF ACTIVIN ACTION IN GRANULOSA CELLSTeresa Woodruff; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies will establish the causal relationship between the activin system and normal and abnormal follicle function. ..
- INHIBIN ACTIONS ON REPRODUCTIVE TARGET CELLSTeresa Woodruff; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies will establish the causal relationship between the inhibin system and normal and abnormal follicle function and lead toward a more complete understanding of key regulating protein in the ovarian-pituitary axis. ..