Summary: Services for the diagnosis and treatment of disease and the maintenance of health.
Publications237 found, 100 shown here
- Defining comorbidity: implications for understanding health and health servicesJose M Valderas
National Institute for Health Research School for Primary Care Research, The University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom
Ann Fam Med 7:357-63. 2009..explain a particular phenomenon of interest within the domains of (1) clinical care, (2) epidemiology, or (3) health services planning and financing...
- Tackling the challenges to health equity in ChinaShenglan Tang
WHO, Beijing Office, China Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, UK
Lancet 372:1493-501. 2008..Reforms to improve health equity will receive immense popular support, governmental commitment, and interest from the public-health community worldwide...
- Age disparities in stroke quality of care and delivery of health servicesGustavo Saposnik
Stroke Research Unit, Division of Neurology, Department of Medicine, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Stroke 40:3328-35. 2009Limited information is available on the effect of age on stroke management and care delivery. Our aim was to determine whether access to stroke care, delivery of health services, and clinical outcomes after stroke are affected by age.
- Self-reported utilization of health care services: improving measurement and accuracyAman Bhandari
University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
Med Care Res Rev 63:217-35. 2006....
- Potential barriers to the use of health services among ethnic minorities: a reviewEmmanuel Scheppers
JBI Institute for Rheumatology and Rehabilitation Medicine, Department of Research and Education Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Fam Pract 23:325-48. 2006Ethnic minority patients seem to be confronted with barriers when using health services. Yet, care providers are often oblivious to these barriers, although they may share to some extent the burden of responsibility for them...
- Catastrophic and poverty impacts of health payments: results from national household surveys in ThailandSupon Limwattananon
Department of Social and Administrative Pharmacy, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand
Bull World Health Organ 85:600-6. 2007..To estimate the incidence and describe the profile of catastrophic expenditures and impoverishment due to household out-of-pocket payments, comparing the periods before and after the introduction of universal health care coverage (UC)...
- The effect of guided care teams on the use of health services: results from a cluster-randomized controlled trialChad Boult
Department of Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 624 N Broadway, Room 693, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Arch Intern Med 171:460-6. 2011The effect of interdisciplinary primary care teams on the use of health services by patients with multiple chronic conditions is uncertain...
- [Empirical standard costs for health economic evaluation in Germany -- a proposal by the working group methods in health economic evaluation]C Krauth
Abt Epidemiologie, Sozialmedizin und Gesundheitssystemforschung, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover
Gesundheitswesen 67:736-46. 2005..and indirect cost components are considered, such as outpatient medical care, pharmaceuticals, non-physician health services, inpatient care, days of sick leave and early retirement due to sickness...
- Do we have the right models for scaling up health services to achieve the Millennium Development Goals?Savitha Subramanian
Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Department of International Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 11:336. 2011..Yet countries scale up health services and progress against the MDGs at very different rates...
- Socioeconomic patterns in the use of public and private health services and equity in health careEnrique Regidor
Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain
BMC Health Serv Res 8:183. 2008..The purpose of this study is to estimate the relation between socioeconomic position and health services use to determine whether the findings are compatible with the attainment of horizontal equity: equal use of ..
- National health surveys and the behavioral model of health services useRonald Max Andersen
Department of Health Services, UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, California, USA
Med Care 46:647-53. 2008National health surveys have played an important role in the development of health services research. They have contributed to the advancement of concepts, methods, and the policy relevance of the field...
- Self-reports of health care utilization compared to provider recordsP L Ritter
Stanford University School of Medicine, 1000 Welch Road, Suite 204, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 54:136-41. 2001..Thus, the likelihood of bias caused by differing demographic factors is low, but researchers should take into account that underreporting occurs and is likely to increase as utilization increases...
- Vitamin D is associated with cognitive function in elders receiving home health servicesJennifer S Buell
Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, 711 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 64:888-95. 2009..The objective of this study was to examine the association between 25-hydroxyvitamin D, 25(OH)D, and cognitive function...
- Subsyndromal depression: prevalence, use of health services and quality of life in an Australian populationRobert D Goldney
University of Adelaide, Department of Psychiatry, The Adelaide Clinic, 33 Park Terrace, 5081, Gilberton, South Australia
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 39:293-8. 2004..A study of the prevalence, use of services and quality of life of those with subsyndromal depression in a random and representative Australian population...
- Inequality in household catastrophic health care expenditure in a low-income society of IranZahra Kavosi
Department of Health Management and Economics, School of Public Health, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Health Policy Plan 27:613-23. 2012..We assessed change in household catastrophic health care expenditures (CHE) and inequality in facing such expenditures in south-west Tehran...
- Overuse of health care services in the United States: an understudied problemDeborah Korenstein
Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Arch Intern Med 172:171-8. 2012..We performed an extensive search for studies of overuse of therapeutic procedures, diagnostic tests, and medications in the United States and describe the state of the literature...
- The Self-Administered Comorbidity Questionnaire: a new method to assess comorbidity for clinical and health services researchOliver Sangha
University of Munich, Germany
Arthritis Rheum 49:156-63. 2003....
- Mutual health insurance in Rwanda: evidence on access to care and financial risk protectionPriyanka Saksena
Department of Health Systems Financing, World Health Organization, 20, Avenue Appia 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Health Policy 99:203-9. 2011..has expanded mutual health insurance considerably in recent years, which has a great potential for making health services more accessible...
- Intraurban differences in the use of ambulatory health services in a large brazilian cityMaria Aparecida Turci
Graduate Program in Public Health, Federal University Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
J Urban Health 87:994-1006. 2010..This study aims to identify the determinants of health services utilization among adults in a large Brazilian city and intraurban disparities in health care use...
- Ukraine: Health system reviewValery Lekhan
Dnipropetrovsk State Medical Academy
Health Syst Transit 12:1-183, xiii-xiv. 2010..HiTs examine different approaches to the organization, financing and delivery of health services and the role of the main actors in health systems; describe the institutional framework, process, content and ..
- Primary care: an increasingly important contributor to effectiveness, equity, and efficiency of health services. SESPAS report 2012Barbara Starfield
University Distinguished Professor, Department of Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Gac Sanit 26:20-6. 2012..Primary health care can now be measured and assessed; all innovations and enhancements in it must serve its essential features in order to be useful...
- Socioeconomic differences in the utilization of health services in a Dutch population: the contribution of health statusJ B van der Meer
Department of Public Health, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Health Policy 37:1-18. 1996The main question addressed here is to what extent socioeconomic differences in the utilization of health services in the Netherlands can be explained by health status...
- Economic burden prior to COPD diagnosis: a matched case-control study in the United StatesManabu Akazawa
Department of Health Policy and Administration, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Respir Med 102:1744-52. 2008..To understand the economic burden of COPD prior to diagnosis in the U.S., trends in utilization and costs during the period before initial COPD diagnosis were compared with matched controls...
- Household catastrophic health expenditure: evidence from Georgia and its policy implicationsGeorge Gotsadze
Curatio International Foundation, 37d, I Chavchavadze ave, Tbilisi, 0179, Georgia
BMC Health Serv Res 9:69. 2009....
- The private health sector in IndiaAmit Sengupta
BMJ 331:1157-8. 2005
- The direct medical costs of undiagnosed chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseDouglas W Mapel
Lovelace Clinic Foundation, Albuquerque, NM 87106 4264, USA
Value Health 11:628-36. 2008..To estimate the costs of undiagnosed chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) by describing inpatient, outpatient, and pharmacy utilization in the years before and after the diagnosis...
- Coping strategies for financial burdens in families with childhood pneumonia in BangladeshNadia I Alamgir
James P Grant School of Public Health, BRAC University, 66 Mohakhali, Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh
BMC Public Health 10:622. 2010..This study aimed to determine the out-of pocket expenditure and coping strategies adopted by families of children admitted in a hospital in Bangladesh with pneumonia...
- Health services use and health care costs of obese and nonobese individualsMarsha A Raebel
Clinical Research Unit, Kaiser Permanente of Colorado, Denver, CO 80237, USA
Arch Intern Med 164:2135-40. 2004..Obesity has clinical and economic consequences. Few studies have compared health care resource utilization between age- and sex-matched obese and nonobese persons...
- Knowledge-based changes to health systems: the Thai experience in policy developmentViroj Tangcharoensathien
International Health Policy Program Thailand, 376 Mooban Panya, Patanakan Road, Bangkok, 10250 Thailand
Bull World Health Organ 82:750-6. 2004..Additionally, the media played a part in shaping the societal consensus on universal coverage...
- Estimation of the determinants of household health care expenditures in Nepal with controls for endogenous illness and provider choiceJeffrey J Rous
Department of Economics, University of North Texas, USA
Health Econ 12:431-51. 2003....
- Access in health services research: the battle of the frameworksThomas C Ricketts
School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Cecil G Sheps Center for Health Services Research, Campus Box 7590, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7590, USA
Nurs Outlook 53:274-80. 2005..Access is an important concept in the study of the organization, financing and delivery of healthcare services. It is also an important political symbol and policy goal...
- Hospital use and survival among Veterans Affairs beneficiariesCarol M Ashton
Center for Quality of Care and Utilization Studies, Houston Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
N Engl J Med 349:1637-46. 2003..We examined changes in the use of VA health services and survival from 1994 through 1998 among VA beneficiaries with serious chronic diseases...
- Threads and yarns: weaving the tapestry of comorbidityBarbara Starfield
Ann Fam Med 4:101-3. 2006
- What do we know about men's help-seeking and health service use?James A Smith
University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Med J Aust 184:81-3. 2006Men seek help and use health services less frequently than women do. Men's help-seeking practices and health service use are complex issues involving biological, psychological and sociological considerations...
- Inequalities in health care use and expenditures: empirical data from eight developing countries and countries in transitionM Makinen
Abt Associates Inc, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Bull World Health Organ 78:55-65. 2000..The studies measure inequality in the use of and spending on health services. Richer groups are found to have a higher probability of obtaining care when sick, to be more likely to be ..
- Do lower socioeconomic groups use more health services, because they suffer from more illnesses?Mariel Droomers
Centre for Prevention and Health Services Research, National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, The Netherlands
Eur J Public Health 14:311-3. 2004..The more diseases one suffers from, the higher the number of health care services attended. This study aims to examine the role this association plays in socio-economic differences in multiple health care utilization...
- Types and factor structure of barriers to utilization of health services among aging South Asians in Calgary, CanadaDaniel W L Lai
Faculty of Social Work, The University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Can J Aging 29:249-58. 2010Elderly people from ethnic minority groups often experience different barriers in accessing health services. Studies have typically focused on combined groups of elderly immigrants or on large ethno-cultural minorities such as the ..
- Call for a national plan for rare diseasesAdam Jaffe
Respiratory Department, Sydney Children s Hospital, Randwick, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 46:2-4. 2010..to plans developed internationally, to address the impacts of rare diseases on individuals, the community and health services. Rare diseases often present in childhood, many are chronic, some life threatening and others associated with ..
- Inpatient health services utilization among HIV-infected adult patients in care 2002-2007Baligh R Yehia
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 1830 E Monument St, Room 435, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 53:397-404. 2010..This study examines the frequency of inpatient hospitalization, the number of inpatient days, and factors associated with inpatient utilization in a multistate HIV cohort between 2002 and 2007...
- Health services utilization among South African women living with HIV and reporting sexual and substance-use risk behaviorsWinnie K Luseno
Substance Abuse Treatment Evaluations and Interventions Research Program, RTI International, 3040 Cornwallis Road, P O Box 12194, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709 2194, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 24:257-64. 2010HIV health services are critical in sub-Saharan African where the burden of the HIV pandemic is devastating...
- An assessment of the implementation of the Health Care Funds for the Poor policy in rural VietnamNguyen Xuan Thanh
Institute of Health Economics, 1200, 10405 Jasper Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, T5J 3N4
Health Policy 98:58-64. 2010..for the Poor (HCFP) policy which offered free public health care services to help the poor access public health services and reduce their health care expenditure (HCE)...
- What do patients want most from sexual health services?S Hitchings
Department of Reproductive and Sexual Health, Enfield Primary Care Trust, Enfield, UK
Int J STD AIDS 20:719-22. 2009..78%), technical expertise (6.26%) or other patient-centred aspects of care. These findings, which represent patients' views, have important implications for service design...
- Physical accessibility and utilization of health services in YemenAbdullah Al-Taiar
Kuwait University, Safat, Kuwait
Int J Health Geogr 9:38. 2010Assessment of physical access to health services is extremely important for planning...
- Investing in big ideas: utilisation and cost of Medicare Allied Health services in Australia under the Chronic Disease Management initiative in primary careRobyn P Cant
Monash University, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Churchill, Australia
Aust Health Rev 35:468-74. 2011To critically examine utilisation of the 13 allied health services provided through Medicare Chronic Disease Management program and related general practitioner (GP) care planning initiatives.
- Noncommunicable chronic disease in Bangladesh: overview of existing programs and priorities going forwardSara N Bleich
Department of Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Health Policy 100:282-9. 2011..This paper reviews existing NCD programs in Bangladesh and identifies key priorities for the country to help address the NCD burden...
- The rural-urban divide: health services utilization among older Mexicans in MexicoJennifer J Salinas
University of Texas School of Public Health, Brownsville Regional Campus, Brownsville, Texas 78520 4956, USA
J Rural Health 26:333-41. 2010..Mexico...
- Inequalities in health and health service utilisation among reproductive age women in St. Petersburg, Russia: a cross-sectional studyTatiana Dubikaytis
St Petersburg Medical Academy of Postgraduate Studies, 193015 Kirochnaja ul, 41, St Petersburg, Russia
BMC Health Serv Res 10:307. 2010..During this time, extensive reforms have taken place in the organisation of health services, including the development of the private sector...
- [Importance of chronic musculoskeletal problems in the population of Catalonia (Spain): prevalence and effect on self-perceived health, activity restriction and use of health services]Maria Jesús Pueyo
Plan Director de Enfermedades Reumáticas y del Aparato Locomotor y Plan de Salud, Dirección General de Planificación y Evaluación, Departamento de Salud, Generalitat de Cataluña, Barcelona, Espana
Gac Sanit 26:30-6. 2012To determine the importance of chronic musculoskeletal problems in the adult population of Catalonia (Spain) and their effect on self-perceived health, activity restriction and use of health services.
- Health service providers in Somalia: their readiness to provide malaria case-managementAbdisalan M Noor
Malaria Public Health and Epidemiology Group, Centre for Geographic Medicine, KEMRI, Wellcome Trust Research Programme, Nairobi, Kenya
Malar J 8:100. 2009..The readiness of the public health sector to provide malaria case-management in Somalia, a country where there has been no functioning central government for almost two decades, was investigated...
- Health service utilization in IBD: comparison of self-report and administrative dataTeresa Longobardi
University of Manitoba IBD Clinical and Research Centre, Winnipeg, Canada
BMC Health Serv Res 11:137. 2011..The reliability of self-report regarding health care utilization in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is unknown. If proven reliable, it could help justify self-report as a means of determining health care utilization and associated costs...
- Health care utilization in the 10 years prior to diagnosis in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome patientsJ Ronald
Sleep Disorders Centre, St. Boniface General Hospital Research Centre, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Sleep 22:225-9. 1999..Use of health services was significantly higher in 7 of 10 years prior to diagnosis...
- Effectiveness of multidrug antiretroviral regimens to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV-1 in routine public health services in CameroonPatrice Tchendjou
Laboratoire Epidémiologie, Centre Pasteur du Cameroun, Yaounde, Cameroon
PLoS ONE 5:e10411. 2010..We assessed the effectiveness of these regimens from 6-10 weeks and 12 months of age, respectively...
- Effect of allergic rhinitis on the use and cost of health services by children with asthmaHye Young Kang
Graduate School of Public Health, Institute of Health Services Research, Yonsei University, 250 Seongsanno, Seodaemun gu, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Yonsei Med J 49:521-9. 2008Allergic rhinitis (AR) is common among children with asthma and exacerbates asthma symptoms. To assess the incremental utilization and cost of asthma-related health services due to concomitant AR among asthmatic children.
- Relationship between body mass index and the use of healthcare services in AustraliaDaniel D Reidpath
School of Health Sciences, Deakin University, Burwood, Australia
Obes Res 10:526-31. 2002To examine the relationship between body mass index (BMI) and the use of medical and preventive health services.
- Elevated healthcare utilisation in young adult males with obstructive sleep apnoeaH Reuveni
Sleep Wake Disorders Unit, Soroka University Medical Center, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Eur Respir J 31:273-9. 2008..Compared with middle-aged males with obstructive sleep apnoea, in whom increased expenditure was related to cardiovascular disease and body mass index, utilisation was not related to any specific disease in younger cases...
- Epidemiology and reporting characteristics of systematic reviewsDavid Moher
Chalmers Research Group, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario Research Institute, Ottawa, Canada
PLoS Med 4:e78. 2007..We set out to capture a representative cross-sectional sample of published SRs and examine them in terms of a broad range of epidemiological, descriptive, and reporting characteristics, including emerging aspects not previously examined...
- Utilization of professional supportive care services by women with breast cancerR E Gray
Psychosocial and Behavioural Research Unit, Toronto Sunnybrook Regional Cancer Centre, Ontario, Canada
Breast Cancer Res Treat 64:253-8. 2000..Policy implications include finding strategies to better inform cancer patients about existing services, and ensuring that a core set of services are available to all patients...
- Private sector, human resources and health franchising in AfricaNdola Prata
Bixby Population Program, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 1690, USA
Bull World Health Organ 83:274-9. 2005..Poverty Thematic Reports on 22 countries in Africa, an assessment was made of the use of public and private health services, by asset quintile groups, for treatment of diarrhoea and acute respiratory infections, proxies for publicly ..
- The horizontal equity of health care in New ZealandD Peacock
Department of Preventive and Social Medicine, University of Otago, New Zealand
Aust N Z J Public Health 23:126-30. 1999....
- Health care utilisation amongst Shenzhen migrant workers: does being insured make a difference?Jin Mou
Shenzhen Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Shenzhen, 518020, Guangdong, China
BMC Health Serv Res 9:214. 2009....
- Methods for analyzing health care utilization and costsP Diehr
Department of Biostatistics, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
Annu Rev Public Health 20:125-44. 1999..We also address issues of study design and new methods for dealing with censored data. Examples are presented...
- Burden of illness in painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy: the patients' perspectivesMugdha Gore
Avalon Health Solutions, Inc, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19102, USA
J Pain 7:892-900. 2006..5% reported activity limitations; and 64.4% of patients who worked (N = 73) reported missing work/decreased work productivity due to painful DPN. Our results underscore a substantial patient-level burden among subjects with painful DPN...
- Equity in health services use and intensity of use in CanadaYukiko Asada
Department of Community Health and Epidemiology, Dalhousie University, Centre for Clinical Research, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
BMC Health Serv Res 7:41. 2007..The objective of this study was to examine whether and where socioeconomic inequities in health care utilization occur in Canada...
- Self-management education for persons with arthritis: Managing comorbidity and eliminating health disparitiesJean Goeppinger
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Schools of Nursing and Public Health, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7460, USA
Arthritis Rheum 57:1081-8. 2007....
- Health services utilization for people with HIV infection: comparison of a population targeted for outreach with the U.S. population in careWilliam E Cunningham
Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, Department of Medicine, UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Med Care 44:1038-47. 2006..However, these hard-to-reach groups are important to study because they may be in greatest need of services...
- [Health services utilization by the immigrant population in Spain]Enrique Regidor
Departamento de Medicina Preventiva, Salud Pública e Historia de la Ciencia, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Madrid, Espana
Gac Sanit 23:4-11. 2009To compare health services utilization between the immigrant and indigenous populations in Spain.
- Use of the Internet and e-mail for health care information: results from a national surveyLaurence Baker
Department of Health Research and Policy, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, Calif 94305 5405, USA
JAMA 289:2400-6. 2003..Available estimates of use and impact vary widely. Without accurate estimates of use and effects, it is difficult to focus policy discussions or design appropriate policy activities...
- Do consultation charges deter general practitioner use among older people? A natural experimentRichard Layte
Economic and Social Research Institute, Whitaker Square, Sir John Rogerson s Quay, Dublin 2, Ireland
Soc Sci Med 68:1432-8. 2009..Differences in the incentives facing both patients and GPs after the policy change can explain the latter result...
- The integration of quality management into chronic disease health servicesSheila Golnaz Shayesteh
Haskayne School of Business, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Qual Manag Health Care 19:156-63. 2010Quality management strategies can be integrated into health services and processes to evaluate, measure, and improve the health services delivered to patients...
- Self-reported diabetes is associated with self-management behaviour: a cohort studyBaiju R Shah
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto, Canada
BMC Health Serv Res 8:142. 2008....
- Health services utilization during terminal illness in Addis Ababa, EthiopiaGeorges Reniers
Population Program, Institute of Behavioral Science, University of Colorado at Boulder, 484 UCB, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
Health Policy Plan 24:312-9. 2009OBJECTIVES We describe modern and alternative health services use in terminal illness of adults, and assess whether utilization patterns of TB/AIDS patients are distinct from those of patients suffering from other illnesses...
- Distrust, predisposition to use health services and breast cancer screening: results from a multicultural community-based surveyMaria C Katapodi
Division of Acute, Critical, and Long Term Care, University of Michigan School of Nursing, 400 N Ingalls Building, Room 2158, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, United States
Int J Nurs Stud 47:975-83. 2010..To examine whether and how distrust of the health system and predisposition to use healthcare services influence frequency of mammograms and Clinical Breast Exams (CBEs)...
- Toward a needs based mechanism for capitation purposes in Italy: the role of socioeconomic level in explaining differences in the use of health servicesAlessio Petrelli
Epidemiology Unit, Piemonte Region, Via Sabaudia, 164, 10095, Grugliasco, TO, Italy
Int J Health Care Finance Econ 10:29-42. 2010..Distance from hospital was inversely correlated with the hospitalisation rate. A formula for determining capitation can be developed using age and indirect factors of need as weights...
- Gynaecologic cancer patients' needs and experiences of supportive health services in New ZealandLisa M Walton
Department of Health Systems, School of Population Health, University of Auckland, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Psychooncology 19:201-8. 2010..The purpose of this qualitative study was to identify needs for supportive care in a sample of New Zealand women and to understand to what extent they feel their needs are being met by health services.
- [Study on the utilization of health services and costs of hospital-based medical care for 29 patients with HIV/AIDS in China]Hong Mei Yang
National Center for AIDS STD Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing 100050, China
Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi 24:393-6. 2003..To describe the costs of medical care and utilization of health service of patients with HIV/AIDS...
- [Health services utilization in areas covered by the family health program (Qualis) in Sao Paulo City, Brazil]Moises Goldbaum
Departamento de Epidemiologia, Faculdade Saúde Pública, USP, Av Dr Arnaldo, 455 2o andar, 01246 903 Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Saude Publica 39:90-9. 2005..The objective of the study was to assess whether there had been changes in the utilization profile of the healthcare services following implementation of the program, and to identify factors associated with any changes observed...
- Psychiatric disease burden profiles among veterans with epilepsy: the association with health services utilizationMary Jo V Pugh
Veterans Evidence Based Research Dissemination Implementation Center, Health Services Research and Development Service, Department of Veterans Affairs, South Texas Veterans Healthcare System, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Psychiatr Serv 59:925-8. 2008..This brief report describes patterns of psychiatric comorbidities among patients with epilepsy and their relationship with health care utilization...
- Medical services utilization and prognosis in Parkinson disease: a population-based studySotirios A Parashos
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 77:918-25. 2002..To investigate prognostic outcomes and utilization of medical services by patients with Parkinson disease (PD) and to identify predictors of such use...
- Review of the evidence for interventions to increase young people's use of health services in developing countriesBruce Dick
Department of Child and Adolescent Health and Development, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland
World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser 938:151-204; discussion 317-41. 2006This chapter reviews the evidence base for interventions that aim to increase young people's use of health services in developing countries.
- Developing countries and trade in health services: which way is forward?Karin Timmermans
World Health Organization, Jakarta, Indonesia
Int J Health Serv 34:453-66. 2004International trade in health services appears to be increasing It may receive a further boost when liberalized and bound under international trade agreements, such as the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS)...
- Self-reported experiences of health services among female street-based prostitutes: a cross-sectional surveyNikki Jeal
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, St Michael s Hospital, Bristol
Br J Gen Pract 54:515-9. 2004Previous studies show that women working in prostitution do not use routine health services appropriately. Little is known about the nature and frequency of service contacts or barriers to access...
- Health services use and health care expenditures for children with disabilitiesPaul W Newacheck
Maternal and Child Health Policy Research Center, Institute for Health Policy Studies, and Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Pediatrics 114:79-85. 2004..To examine health care utilization and expenditure patterns for children with disabilities...
- Analgesic usage for low back pain: impact on health care costs and service useMolly T Vogt
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:1075-81. 2005..Cross-sectional analysis of analgesic use by patients with low back pain (LBP)...
- Politicians in apron: case study of rebel health services in NepalBhimsen Devkota
Institute of Applied Health Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Asia Pac J Public Health 21:377-84. 2009..violent conflict resulted in more than 13,000 deaths, the destruction of more than 1000 health posts and poor health services delivery...
- Health care markets, the safety net, and utilization of care among the uninsuredCarole Roan Gresenz
THE RAND CORPORATION, 1200 S Hayes St, Arlington, VA 22202 5050, USA
Health Serv Res 42:239-64. 2007..To quantify the relationship between utilization of care among the uninsured and the structure of the local health care market and safety net...
- Mortality and morbidity among older adults with intellectual disability: health services considerationsM P Janicki
New York State Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities, Staten Island, USA
Disabil Rehabil 21:284-94. 1999..Described is a study of the mortality and morbidity characteristics of 2752 adults with intellectual disability, age 40 and older, who died over a 10 year period in one American state...
- Scleroderma: health services utilization from patients' perspectiveSindhu R Johnson
Division of Rheumatology, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Rheumatol 33:1123-7. 2006....
- Decision support for acute problems: the role of the standardized patient in usability testingJeffrey A Linder
Division of General Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
J Biomed Inform 39:648-55. 2006..Standardized patients should be considered for usability testing, especially if an application is to be used during the patient interview...
- The use and cost of HIV service provision in England in 1996. National Prospective Monitoring System (NPMS) Steering Group and NPMS Working Party on CostsE J Beck
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, NPMS Coordinating and Analytic Centre, Imperial College School of Medicine, London, England
Pharmacoeconomics 14:639-52. 1998..The aim of the study was to measure the use and estimate the cost of HIV service provision in England...
- Predictors of a medical-offset effect among patients receiving antidepressant therapyD Thompson
Policy Analysis, Inc, Indianapolis, USA
Am J Psychiatry 155:824-7. 1998..Characteristics of patients receiving antidepressant therapy were examined to identify factors that may be associated with a medical-offset effect...
- Public health services use in a mountainous area, Vietnam: implications for health for policyN V Toan
Department of Epidemiology, Hanoi Medical University, Vietnam
Scand J Public Health 30:86-93. 2002The aim of this study is to describe the use of public health services in different social and ethnic groups and to explore the implementation of user fee exemption in a mountainous area in Vietnam.
- A descriptive profile of health problems, health services utilization, and HIV serostatus among incarcerated male drug abusersCarl G Leukefeld
Center on Drug and Alcohol Research, University of Kentucky, 643 Maxwelton Court, Lexington, KY 40506 0350, USA
J Behav Health Serv Res 29:167-75. 2002..This descriptive study profiles health problems (including HIV) and health services utilization in a sample of drug-involved prisoners from a rural state...
- The prisoner as patient - a health services satisfaction surveyJohan Håkon Bjørngaard
Department of Public Health and General Practice, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, 7465 Trondheim, Norway
BMC Health Serv Res 9:176. 2009..Despite this, patient satisfaction with the prison health services is scarcely investigated...
- Rapid evaluation methods (REM) of health services performance: methodological observationsM Anker
Division of Epidemiological Surveillance and Health Situation, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Bull World Health Organ 71:15-21. 1993....
- Minor life events as predictors of medical utilization in low income African American family practice patientsPhillip J Brantley
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
J Behav Med 28:395-401. 2005....
- Use of health services by previously uninsured Medicare beneficiariesJ Michael McWilliams
Division of General Medicine and Primary Care, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 357:143-53. 2007..Previously uninsured adults who enroll in the Medicare program at the age of 65 years may have greater morbidity, requiring more intensive and costlier care over subsequent years, than they would if they had been previously insured...
- Are we spending too much on HIV?Roger England
Health Systems Workshop, Grenada, West Indies
BMJ 334:344. 2007
- Gender differences in the utilization of health-care services among the older adult population of SpainAurea Redondo-Sendino
Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, School of Medicine, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
BMC Public Health 6:155. 2006..Compared to men, women report greater morbidity and make greater use of health-care services. This study examines potential determinants of gender differences in the utilization of health-care services among the elderly...
- Inequalities in use of health services among Jews and Arabs in IsraelOrna Baron-Epel
School of Public Health, Faculty of Social Welfare and Health Studies, University of Haifa, Mount Carmel 31905, Israel
Health Serv Res 42:1008-19. 2007To compare the levels of utilization of health services in Jews and Arabs taking into account differences in levels of socioeconomic status (SES) in a country with a National Health Insurance Law (NHIL).
- Obesity, health services use, and health care costs among members of a health maintenance organizationC P Quesenberry
Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, Calif 94611, USA
Arch Intern Med 158:466-72. 1998..Previous studies of obesity and health care costs have used group level data, applying estimates of population-attributable risks to estimates of US total costs of care for each obesity-related disease...
- Factors associated with the health care utilization of homeless personsM B Kushel
Division of General Internal Medicine, San Francisco General Hospital, Department of Medicine, Box 0936, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
JAMA 285:200-6. 2001..Homeless persons face numerous barriers to receiving health care and have high rates of illness and disability. Factors associated with health care utilization by homeless persons have not been explored from a national perspective...
Research Grants216 found, 100 shown here
- Psychosocial Determinants of Nutrient Intake in GirlsRuth Striegel Moore; Fiscal Year: 2004..Adult weight was also measured. Results from our secondary analyses will be useful for interventions aimed at improving nutritional health. ..
- Research Teaching Day on Eating Disorders ConferenceRuth Striegel Moore; Fiscal Year: 2007..and lasting adverse health outcomes such as infertility and osteoporosis, and contribute to elevated health services utilization...
- School-Based Approaches to Help Pre-Teens Manage AsthmaNoreen Clark; Fiscal Year: 2007..Asthma rates for this age group continue to rise and the problems associated with the disease are especially difficult in poor communities. This study will assess innovative interventions for low-income minority preteens with asthma. ..
- EFFECT OF HEART DISEASE EDUCATION ON OLDER WOMENNoreen Clark; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Effectiveness of Guided Self-Help for Binge EatingRuth Striegel Moore; Fiscal Year: 2007..These disorders also are associated with elevated health services utilization, yet these services rarely target the eating disorder (ED) specifically...
- EFFECT OF SELF-REGULATORY EDUCATION ON WOMEN WITH ASTHMANoreen Clark; Fiscal Year: 2004..gender-related asthma management problems, higher levels of physical functioning, fewer days of missed work, increased satisfaction with their quality of life, less frequent symptoms, and reduced use of health services.
- PREVALENCE AND IMPACT OF GLAUCOMA AMONG THE VERY ELDERLYDavid Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2003..Finally, the interactions between comorbidities (including cognitive deficits) and visual field loss will be explored. ..
- Improving Asthma Outcomes through Cultural Competence Training for PhysiciansNoreen M Clark; Fiscal Year: 2010..Data will be collected through survey of physicians and telephone interviews with the child's parent/caretaker. Medical records of physicians will be reviewed to verify parent's reports of health care use. ..
- COSTS AND BENEFITS OF ALCOHOL SERVICES & INTERVENTIONSMichael French; Fiscal Year: 2005..S. as well as abroad, the proposed study holds important potential to assist researchers, policymakers, and program directors with economic evaluation guidelines and "real world" applications. ..
- Pilot Trial of Peer Support for Bipolar DisorderGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- ECONOMIC EVALUATION METHODS--DEVELOPMENT & APPLICATIONSMichael French; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Epidemiology and Care of Comorbid Obesity and DepressionGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 2006..weight loss, nutrient intake, physical activity, depressive symptoms, functional impairment and disability in the two groups of women with comorbid obesity and depression randomly assigned to the two different intervention programs ..
- POPULATION-BASED MANAGEMENT OF DEPRESSIONGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 2003..e. 12-18 mos) Incremental cost and cost-effectiveness of each intervention program compared to care as usual. ..
- Can Longitudinal Population-Based Data Help to Personalize Depression Treatment?Gregory E Simon; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose a set of targeted methodologic studies to prepare for a multi-site research consortium focused on predicting response to specific depression treatments. ..
- UTILIZATION AND COST OF HEALTH SERVICES BY CDUsMichael French; Fiscal Year: 2002..2000), the estimated differential in the cost of health services utilization may amount to over $1,000 per year...
- Economic Evaluation Methods: Development and ApplicationMichael French; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Informal Caregiving & Medical Adherence Among HIV+ IDUsAmy Knowlton; Fiscal Year: 2007..Study findings will contribute to the identification of appropriate targets and approaches for the behavioral adherence intervention. ..
- POPULATION BASED MANAGEMENT OF DEPRESSIONGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 1999..Each of the intervention groups will be compared to the usual care group in terms of quality of care, clinical outcomes, functional outcomes, and treatment costs. ..
- Patient-Centered Interventions for Mood DisordersGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 2007..Study #2 will use marketing research methods to examine consumer demand for treatment and pilot-test marketing interventions to increase demand. ..
- Informal Caregiving & Medical Adherence Among HIV+ IDUsAmy Knowlton; Fiscal Year: 2007..Study findings will contribute to the identification of appropriate targets and approaches for the behavioral adherence intervention. ..
- Informal Caregiving & Medical Adherence Among HIV+ IDUsAmy Knowlton; Fiscal Year: 2009..Study findings will contribute to the identification of appropriate targets and approaches for the behavioral adherence intervention. ..
- Economic Consequences of Alcohol Use DisordersMichael French; Fiscal Year: 2007..Estimate the effects of alcohol use disorders on health services utilization including emergency room episodes, injuries requiring medical care, inpatient hospital episodes, ..
- Race, Ethnicity and Quality of Health Care for NewbornsLaurence Baker; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our work will focus on Black-White differences, disparities for Hispanics (including subgroups like Mexican and Puerto Rican), and disparities for Asian and Pacific Islanders. ..
- Service Use, ATI Program Outcomes, and Pro-Social ChangeElwin Wu; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed study will be conducted by Dr. Elwin Wu and Dr. Nabila EI-Bassel of the Social Intervention Group at the Columbia University School of Social Work. ..
- Telephone Delivered Behavioral Skills Intervention for Blacks with T2DMLeonard Egede; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- COST EFFECTIVENESS OF ALCOHOL TREATMENTGARY ZARKIN; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Child Welfare, Drug Abuse and Intergenerational RiskPhilip McCallion; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Pediatric Asthma Alert Intervention in Minority ChildrenARLENE MANNS BUTZ; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- TREATMENT AND CLINICAL COURSE OF COMPLEX PTSDJulian Ford; Fiscal Year: 2006..psychopathology and psychotherapy, (d) psychometric theory and instrument development; (e) psychotherapy and health services outcome research methodology; and (f) multivariate biostatistical theory and methods...
- Improving Primary Care of Patients with Mental DisordersBenjamin G Druss; Fiscal Year: 2010..When this study is completed, it will provide a model for a medical home for persons with severe mental illness that is clinically robust, and organizationally and financially sustainable. ..
- Modeling Benefits and Costs of Prison-Based Substance Abuse TreatmentGARY ZARKIN; Fiscal Year: 2007..2005a). Results will help policy makers make better judgments about the allocation of funding to prison-based drug treatment resources. ..
- Improving primary care in patients with mental disordersBenjamin Druss; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results will provide data on the feasibility, outcomes, and costs of medical case management for patients with serious mental illnesses. ..
- Tailored Interactive Multimedia to Reduce Colorectal CA Screening DisparitiesAnthony Jerant; Fiscal Year: 2009..They may also suggest a promising, portable method of reducing disparities in colorectal cancer (and other) screening uptake between Hispanic and non-Hispanic individuals. ..
- Racial and Ethnic Differences in Response to the Medicare Coverage Gap among PatiYuting Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- MANAGED CARE AND HEALTH CARE MARKETSLaurence Baker; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Using CBPR to Reduce HIV Risk Among Immigrant Latino MSMScott D Rhodes; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- CONTEXT AND EFFECTIVENESS OF TWO MODELS OF SVC DELIVERYChristine Grella; Fiscal Year: 2002..These data will provide a multilevel context in which to evaluate the implementation and effectiveness of the two models of service delivery. ..