Summary: Services for the diagnosis and treatment of disease and the maintenance of health.
Publications185 found, 100 shown here
- Age disparities in stroke quality of care and delivery of health servicesGustavo Saposnik
Stroke Research Unit, Division of Neurology, Department of Medicine, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Stroke 40:3328-35. 2009Limited information is available on the effect of age on stroke management and care delivery. Our aim was to determine whether access to stroke care, delivery of health services, and clinical outcomes after stroke are affected by age.
- Defining comorbidity: implications for understanding health and health servicesJose M Valderas
National Institute for Health Research School for Primary Care Research, The University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom
Ann Fam Med 7:357-63. 2009..explain a particular phenomenon of interest within the domains of (1) clinical care, (2) epidemiology, or (3) health services planning and financing...
- Socioeconomic patterns in the use of public and private health services and equity in health careEnrique Regidor
Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain
BMC Health Serv Res 8:183. 2008..The purpose of this study is to estimate the relation between socioeconomic position and health services use to determine whether the findings are compatible with the attainment of horizontal equity: equal use of ..
- Socioeconomic differences in the utilization of health services in a Dutch population: the contribution of health statusJ B van der Meer
Department of Public Health, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Health Policy 37:1-18. 1996The main question addressed here is to what extent socioeconomic differences in the utilization of health services in the Netherlands can be explained by health status...
- Self-reported utilization of health care services: improving measurement and accuracyAman Bhandari
University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
Med Care Res Rev 63:217-35. 2006....
- Health care utilization in the 10 years prior to diagnosis in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome patientsJ Ronald
Sleep Disorders Centre, St. Boniface General Hospital Research Centre, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Sleep 22:225-9. 1999..Use of health services was significantly higher in 7 of 10 years prior to diagnosis...
- Self-reports of health care utilization compared to provider recordsP L Ritter
Stanford University School of Medicine, 1000 Welch Road, Suite 204, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 54:136-41. 2001..Thus, the likelihood of bias caused by differing demographic factors is low, but researchers should take into account that underreporting occurs and is likely to increase as utilization increases...
- Relationship between body mass index and the use of healthcare services in AustraliaDaniel D Reidpath
School of Health Sciences, Deakin University, Burwood, Australia
Obes Res 10:526-31. 2002To examine the relationship between body mass index (BMI) and the use of medical and preventive health services.
- Effect of allergic rhinitis on the use and cost of health services by children with asthmaHye Young Kang
Graduate School of Public Health, Institute of Health Services Research, Yonsei University, 250 Seongsanno, Seodaemun gu, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Yonsei Med J 49:521-9. 2008Allergic rhinitis (AR) is common among children with asthma and exacerbates asthma symptoms. To assess the incremental utilization and cost of asthma-related health services due to concomitant AR among asthmatic children.
- Elevated healthcare utilisation in young adult males with obstructive sleep apnoeaH Reuveni
Sleep Wake Disorders Unit, Soroka University Medical Center, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Eur Respir J 31:273-9. 2008..Compared with middle-aged males with obstructive sleep apnoea, in whom increased expenditure was related to cardiovascular disease and body mass index, utilisation was not related to any specific disease in younger cases...
- Effectiveness of multidrug antiretroviral regimens to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV-1 in routine public health services in CameroonPatrice Tchendjou
Laboratoire Epidémiologie, Centre Pasteur du Cameroun, Yaounde, Cameroon
PLoS ONE 5:e10411. 2010..We assessed the effectiveness of these regimens from 6-10 weeks and 12 months of age, respectively...
- Burden of illness in painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy: the patients' perspectivesMugdha Gore
Avalon Health Solutions, Inc, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19102, USA
J Pain 7:892-900. 2006..5% reported activity limitations; and 64.4% of patients who worked (N = 73) reported missing work/decreased work productivity due to painful DPN. Our results underscore a substantial patient-level burden among subjects with painful DPN...
- The Self-Administered Comorbidity Questionnaire: a new method to assess comorbidity for clinical and health services researchOliver Sangha
University of Munich, Germany
Arthritis Rheum 49:156-63. 2003..This new measure represents an efficient method to assess comorbid conditions in clinical and health services research. It will be particularly useful in settings where medical records are unavailable.
- Equity in health services use and intensity of use in CanadaYukiko Asada
Department of Community Health and Epidemiology, Dalhousie University, Centre for Clinical Research, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
BMC Health Serv Res 7:41. 2007..The objective of this study was to examine whether and where socioeconomic inequities in health care utilization occur in Canada...
- Use of the Internet and e-mail for health care information: results from a national surveyLaurence Baker
Department of Health Research and Policy, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, Calif 94305 5405, USA
JAMA 289:2400-6. 2003..Available estimates of use and impact vary widely. Without accurate estimates of use and effects, it is difficult to focus policy discussions or design appropriate policy activities...
- Mortality and morbidity among older adults with intellectual disability: health services considerationsM P Janicki
New York State Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities, Staten Island, USA
Disabil Rehabil 21:284-94. 1999..Described is a study of the mortality and morbidity characteristics of 2752 adults with intellectual disability, age 40 and older, who died over a 10 year period in one American state...
- Rapid evaluation methods (REM) of health services performance: methodological observationsM Anker
Division of Epidemiological Surveillance and Health Situation, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Bull World Health Organ 71:15-21. 1993....
- [Study on the utilization of health services and costs of hospital-based medical care for 29 patients with HIV/AIDS in China]Hong-mei Yang
National Center for AIDS/STD Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing 100050, China
Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi 24:393-6. 2003..CONCLUSION: Demands for health services and costs for medical care were high among patients with HIV/AIDS...
- Use of health services by previously uninsured Medicare beneficiariesJ Michael McWilliams
Division of General Medicine and Primary Care, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 357:143-53. 2007..Previously uninsured adults who enroll in the Medicare program at the age of 65 years may have greater morbidity, requiring more intensive and costlier care over subsequent years, than they would if they had been previously insured...
- Decision support for acute problems: the role of the standardized patient in usability testingJeffrey A Linder
Division of General Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
J Biomed Inform 39:648-55. 2006..Standardized patients should be considered for usability testing, especially if an application is to be used during the patient interview...
- The effect of guided care teams on the use of health services: results from a cluster-randomized controlled trialChad Boult
Department of Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 624 N Broadway, Room 693, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Arch Intern Med 171:460-6. 2011The effect of interdisciplinary primary care teams on the use of health services by patients with multiple chronic conditions is uncertain...
- Analgesic usage for low back pain: impact on health care costs and service useMolly T Vogt
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:1075-81. 2005..Cross-sectional analysis of analgesic use by patients with low back pain (LBP)...
- Health care markets, the safety net, and utilization of care among the uninsuredCarole Roan Gresenz
THE RAND CORPORATION, 1200 S Hayes St, Arlington, VA 22202 5050, USA
Health Serv Res 42:239-64. 2007..To quantify the relationship between utilization of care among the uninsured and the structure of the local health care market and safety net...
- The use and cost of HIV service provision in England in 1996. National Prospective Monitoring System (NPMS) Steering Group and NPMS Working Party on CostsE J Beck
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, NPMS Coordinating and Analytic Centre, Imperial College School of Medicine, London, England
Pharmacoeconomics 14:639-52. 1998..The aim of the study was to measure the use and estimate the cost of HIV service provision in England...
- Public health services use in a mountainous area, Vietnam: implications for health for policyN V Toan
Department of Epidemiology, Hanoi Medical University, Vietnam
Scand J Public Health 30:86-93. 2002AIMS: The aim of this study is to describe the use of public health services in different social and ethnic groups and to explore the implementation of user fee exemption in a mountainous area in Vietnam...
- [Health services utilization in areas covered by the family health program (Qualis) in Sao Paulo City, Brazil]Moises Goldbaum
Departamento de Epidemiologia, Faculdade Saúde Pública, USP, Av Dr Arnaldo, 455 2o andar, 01246 903 Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Saude Publica 39:90-9. 2005..The objective of the study was to assess whether there had been changes in the utilization profile of the healthcare services following implementation of the program, and to identify factors associated with any changes observed...
- Review of the evidence for interventions to increase young people's use of health services in developing countriesBruce Dick
Department of Child and Adolescent Health and Development, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland
World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser 938:151-204; discussion 317-41. 2006This chapter reviews the evidence base for interventions that aim to increase young people's use of health services in developing countries.
- Politicians in apron: case study of rebel health services in NepalBhimsen Devkota
Institute of Applied Health Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Asia Pac J Public Health 21:377-84. 2009..violent conflict resulted in more than 13,000 deaths, the destruction of more than 1000 health posts and poor health services delivery...
- Gynaecologic cancer patients' needs and experiences of supportive health services in New ZealandLisa M Walton
Department of Health Systems, School of Population Health, University of Auckland, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Psychooncology 19:201-8. 2010..The purpose of this qualitative study was to identify needs for supportive care in a sample of New Zealand women and to understand to what extent they feel their needs are being met by health services.
- Psychiatric disease burden profiles among veterans with epilepsy: the association with health services utilizationMary Jo V Pugh
Veterans Evidence Based Research Dissemination Implementation Center, Health Services Research and Development Service, Department of Veterans Affairs, South Texas Veterans Healthcare System, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Psychiatr Serv 59:925-8. 2008..This brief report describes patterns of psychiatric comorbidities among patients with epilepsy and their relationship with health care utilization...
- A descriptive profile of health problems, health services utilization, and HIV serostatus among incarcerated male drug abusersCarl G Leukefeld
Center on Drug and Alcohol Research, University of Kentucky, 643 Maxwelton Court, Lexington, KY 40506 0350, USA
J Behav Health Serv Res 29:167-75. 2002..This descriptive study profiles health problems (including HIV) and health services utilization in a sample of drug-involved prisoners from a rural state...
- National health surveys and the behavioral model of health services useRonald Max Andersen
Department of Health Services, UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, California, USA
Med Care 46:647-53. 2008National health surveys have played an important role in the development of health services research. They have contributed to the advancement of concepts, methods, and the policy relevance of the field...
- Minor life events as predictors of medical utilization in low income African American family practice patientsPhillip J Brantley
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
J Behav Med 28:395-401. 2005....
- Scleroderma: health services utilization from patients' perspectiveSindhu R Johnson
Division of Rheumatology, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Rheumatol 33:1123-7. 2006..Further research is needed on health services utilization and on determinants of access to care by patients with scleroderma.
- Predictors of a medical-offset effect among patients receiving antidepressant therapyD Thompson
Policy Analysis, Inc, Indianapolis, USA
Am J Psychiatry 155:824-7. 1998..Characteristics of patients receiving antidepressant therapy were examined to identify factors that may be associated with a medical-offset effect...
- Developing countries and trade in health services: which way is forward?Karin Timmermans
World Health Organization, Jakarta, Indonesia
Int J Health Serv 34:453-66. 2004International trade in health services appears to be increasing It may receive a further boost when liberalized and bound under international trade agreements, such as the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS)...
- Self-reported experiences of health services among female street-based prostitutes: a cross-sectional surveyNikki Jeal
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, St Michael s Hospital, Bristol
Br J Gen Pract 54:515-9. 2004Previous studies show that women working in prostitution do not use routine health services appropriately. Little is known about the nature and frequency of service contacts or barriers to access...
- Health services use and health care expenditures for children with disabilitiesPaul W Newacheck
Maternal and Child Health Policy Research Center, Institute for Health Policy Studies, and Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Pediatrics 114:79-85. 2004..To examine health care utilization and expenditure patterns for children with disabilities...
- The prisoner as patient - a health services satisfaction surveyJohan Håkon Bjørngaard
Department of Public Health and General Practice, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, 7465 Trondheim, Norway
BMC Health Serv Res 9:176. 2009..Despite this, patient satisfaction with the prison health services is scarcely investigated...
- Medical services utilization and prognosis in Parkinson disease: a population-based studySotirios A Parashos
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 77:918-25. 2002..Patients with PD also experienced a reduced survival time. Demographic and clinical characteristics influenced utilization patterns and outcomes...
- Are we spending too much on HIV?Roger England
Health Systems Workshop, Grenada, West Indies
BMJ 334:344. 2007
- Gender differences in the utilization of health-care services among the older adult population of SpainAurea Redondo-Sendino
Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, School of Medicine, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
BMC Public Health 6:155. 2006..Compared to men, women report greater morbidity and make greater use of health-care services. This study examines potential determinants of gender differences in the utilization of health-care services among the elderly...
- Socio-economic differences in the utilisation of health services in BelgiumJ H A Van der Heyden
Scientific Institute of Public Health, Juliette Wytsmanstraat 14, 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Health Policy 65:153-65. 2003To investigate socio-economic differences in the use of health services in Belgium and to explore to what extent eventual socio-economic inequalities are explained by differences in demographic determinants and health needs.
- Reliable self-report of health service use by individuals with serious mental illnessRichard W Goldberg
School of Medicine at the University of Maryland at Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Psychiatr Serv 53:879-81. 2002..six months, which suggests that people with schizophrenia can provide reliable information about their use of health services. Continued research in this area will increase understanding of the types and quality of medical care ..
- Obesity, health services use, and health care costs among members of a health maintenance organizationC P Quesenberry
Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, Calif 94611, USA
Arch Intern Med 158:466-72. 1998..Previous studies of obesity and health care costs have used group level data, applying estimates of population-attributable risks to estimates of US total costs of care for each obesity-related disease...
- Factors associated with the health care utilization of homeless personsM B Kushel
Division of General Internal Medicine, San Francisco General Hospital, Department of Medicine, Box 0936, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
JAMA 285:200-6. 2001..Homeless persons face numerous barriers to receiving health care and have high rates of illness and disability. Factors associated with health care utilization by homeless persons have not been explored from a national perspective...
- Gender, psychosocial factors and the use of medical services: a longitudinal analysisC A Green
Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research, Portland, OR 97227 1110, USA
Soc Sci Med 48:1363-72. 1999..Using data from a household interview survey carried out in 1970-1971 and linked to 22 years of health services utilization records, we explored the effects of gender, self-reported health status, mental and physical ..
- Inequalities in use of health services among Jews and Arabs in IsraelOrna Baron Epel
School of Public Health, Faculty of Social Welfare and Health Studies, University of Haifa, Mount Carmel 31905, Israel
Health Serv Res 42:1008-19. 2007To compare the levels of utilization of health services in Jews and Arabs taking into account differences in levels of socioeconomic status (SES) in a country with a National Health Insurance Law (NHIL).
- A comparison of HIV health services utilization measures in a marginalized population: self-report versus medical recordsChinazo O Cunningham
Montefiore Medical Center Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10467, USA
Med Care 45:264-8. 2007In studies examining the use of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) health services, researchers often use subjects' self-reported measures...
- Community-integrated home-based depression treatment in older adults: a randomized controlled trialPaul Ciechanowski
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 6560, USA
JAMA 291:1569-77. 2004..Older adults with social isolation, medical comorbidity, and physical impairment are more likely to be depressed but may be less able to seek appropriate care for depression compared with older adults without these characteristics...
- Increased use of mental health services related to isotretinoin treatment: a 5-year analysisTal Friedman
Medical Corps, IDF, Israel
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 16:413-6. 2006..OBJECTIVE: To retrospectively assess pattern of utilization of mental health services in the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) during a 5-year period for all subjects exposed to Isotretinoin in ..
- Healthcare charges and utilization associated with diabetic neuropathy: impact of Type 1 diabetes and presence of other diabetes-related complications and comorbiditiesY Zhao
Global Health Outcomes, Eli Lilly and Co, Indianapolis, IN 46221, USA
Diabet Med 26:61-9. 2009..The aim was to examine the impact of Type 1 diabetes and having any other diabetes-related complication or comorbidity on healthcare charges and utilization in patients with diabetic neuropathy (DN)...
- [Adapting health services to the specific needs and utilization patterns of the new Spaniards. 2008 SESPAS Report]Berta Ribera
Escuela Gallega de Administración Sanitaria, Santiago de Compostela, A Coruna, Espana
Gac Sanit 22:86-95. 2008..The pattern of demand for health services in the immigrant population corresponds basically to the needs of a young population in good health...
- Export of health services from developing countries: the case of TunisiaMarc Lautier
CEPN, Universite Paris 13, 99 av JB Clement, F 93430 Villetaneuse, France
Soc Sci Med 67:101-10. 2008Although the subject of health services exports by developing countries has been much discussed, the phenomenon is still in its early stage, and its real implications are not yet clear...
- Vitamin D is associated with cognitive function in elders receiving home health servicesJennifer S Buell
Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, 711 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 64:888-95. 2009..The objective of this study was to examine the association between 25-hydroxyvitamin D, 25(OH)D, and cognitive function...
- The impact of HIV scale-up on health systems: A priority research agendaMiriam Rabkin
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 52:S6-11. 2009....
- [The influence of the type of insurance access on health and of education on health services utilization patterns]Marisol Rodriguez
Centre de Recerca en Economia del Benestar, Parc Cientific de Barcelona, and Departamento de Política Económica y Estructura Económica Mundial, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
Gac Sanit 18:102-11. 2004This study analyses the utilisation of health services by gender, type of insurance access and the level of education...
- Health seeking behaviour and health services utilization trends in national health survey of Pakistan: what needs to be done?Babar T Shaikh
Department of Community Health Sciences, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
J Pak Med Assoc 57:411-4. 2007..The advent of decentralization in Pakistan provides a unique opportunity for tackling multi-faceted issues by multisectoral approaches...
- [Association of income with use of and access to health services in Spain at the beginning of the XXI century]Enrique Regidor
Departamento de Medicina Preventiva y Salud Publica, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain
Gac Sanit 20:352-9. 2006....
- Effects of prescription drug user fees on drug and health services use and on health status in vulnerable populations: a systematic review of the evidenceJoel Lexchin
School of Health Policy and Management at York University, Toronto, Canada
Int J Health Serv 34:101-22. 2004..Cost sharing also leads to patients foregoing essential medications and to a decline in health care status...
- Epidemiology and reporting characteristics of systematic reviewsDavid Moher
Chalmers Research Group, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario Research Institute, Ottawa, Canada
PLoS Med 4:e78. 2007..We set out to capture a representative cross-sectional sample of published SRs and examine them in terms of a broad range of epidemiological, descriptive, and reporting characteristics, including emerging aspects not previously examined...
- Early supported discharge for stroke patients improves clinical outcome. Does it also reduce use of health services and costs? One-year follow-up of a randomized controlled trialHild Fjaertoft
Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Cerebrovasc Dis 19:376-83. 2005An early supported discharge service (ESD) appears to be a promising alternative to conventional care. The aim of this trial was to compare the use of health services and costs with traditional stroke care during a one-year follow-up.
- Health-related quality of life predicts future health care utilization and mortality in veterans with self-reported physician-diagnosed arthritis: the veterans arthritis quality of life studyJasvinder A Singh
Rheumatology Section, Medicine Service, VA Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN 55417, USA
Semin Arthritis Rheum 34:755-65. 2005..To investigate whether health-related quality of life (HRQOL) measures predict health care utilization and mortality in a cohort of veterans with self-reported physician-diagnosed arthritis...
- The impact of welfare reforms, health, and insurance status on welfare recipients' health care accessTyrone Cheng
Department of Anthropology and Social Work, University of Alabama, Birmingham, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 16:588-99. 2005This study explores ways in which welfare reforms have affected utilization of four health services (physician visits, hospital care, prescription medication, and dentist visits) and the impact of health insurance on these services...
- Community-based health insurance in developing countries: a study of its contribution to the performance of health financing systemsGuy Carrin
Department of Health Financing, Expenditure and Resource Allocation, World Health Organisation, Geneva, Switzerland
Trop Med Int Health 10:799-811. 2005..The proposals pertain to the demand for and the supply of health care in the community; to the technical, managerial and institutional set-up of CHI; and to the rational use of subsidies...
- The association between borderline personality disorder and chronic medical illnesses, poor health-related lifestyle choices, and costly forms of health care utilizationFrances R Frankenburg
Laboratory for the Study of Adult Development, McLean Hospital, Belmont, and the Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02478, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 65:1660-5. 2004..The purpose of this study was to compare the physical health, lifestyle choices affecting physical health, and health care utilization of patients with remitted and nonremitted borderline personality disorder...
- The prevalence, correlates, and costs of depression in people living with HIV/AIDS in Ontario: implications for service directionsPeter Williams
Ontario AIDS Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
AIDS Educ Prev 17:119-30. 2005..Findings suggest quality-of-life of PHAs may be improved by expanding the capacity of ASO workers to recognize and address depression, including helping depressed PHA access appropriate medication and sustain medication regimes...
- The economic burden of lung cancer and the associated costs of treatment failure in the United StatesLucie Kutikova
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly Corporate Center, DC 1833, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
Lung Cancer 50:143-54. 2005..New strategies for lung cancer that reduce hospitalizations and/or prevent or delay treatment failure could offset some of the economic burden associated with the disease...
- Children in the United States with discontinuous health insurance coverageLynn M Olson
Department of Practice, American Academy of Pediatrics, Elk Grove Village, Ill 60007, USA
N Engl J Med 353:382-91. 2005..Estimates of the number of uninsured people in the United States usually exclude those with discontinuous coverage. The effects of gaps in insurance coverage for children on access to and use of ambulatory care are poorly understood...
- Importance of generational status in examining access to and utilization of health care services by Mexican American childrenAnthony E Burgos
Department of Pediatrics, Division of General Pediatrics, Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, California, USA
Pediatrics 115:e322-30. 2005....
- Economic burden associated with Parkinson's disease on elderly Medicare beneficiariesKatia Noyes
Department of Community and Preventive Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, New York, NY 14620, USA
Mov Disord 21:362-72. 2006..Although more research is needed to understand the relationship between PD and medical expenditures and utilization, these findings have important implications for health care providers and payers that serve PD populations...
- [Study of access to health care and drugs in Cameroon: 1. Methods and validation]Christophe Commeyras
Ambassade de France SCAC, BP 1616, Yaounde, Cameroun
Sante 15:161-6. 2005..This article describes the background of this study and justifies its methodological choices. Future publications will analyze the data collected...
- Efficacy of a brief case management intervention to link recently diagnosed HIV-infected persons to careLytt I Gardner
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
AIDS 19:423-31. 2005..The Antiretroviral Treatment Access Study (ARTAS) assessed a case management intervention to improve linkage to care for persons recently receiving an HIV diagnosis...
- Being uninsured in 1996 compared to 1987: how has the experience of the uninsured changed over time?A K Taylor
Center for Cost and Financing Studies, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Health Serv Res 36:16-31. 2001....
- Health status and health service access and use among children in U.S. immigrant familiesZhihuan Jennifer Huang
MBBS, Department of International Health NHS, Georgetown University, St Mary s Hall 215, Box 571107, 3700 Reservoir Rd NW, Washington, DC 20057, USA
Am J Public Health 96:634-40. 2006..We examined the health status and patterns of health care use of children in US immigrant families...
- Racial/ethnic differences in preferences for the EQ-5D health states: results from the U.S. valuation studyJames W Shaw
Department of Pharmacy Administration, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago, 833 South Wood Street, M C 871, Chicago, IL 60612 7231, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 60:479-90. 2007..We examined differences in preferences for the EQ-5D health states among blacks, Hispanics, and others living in the United States...
- Economic burden of metastatic bone disease in the U.SKathy L Schulman
Outcomes Research and Econometrics, Thomson Healthcare, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Cancer 109:2334-42. 2007..In this study, the authors quantified the prevalence and direct medical care costs of patients with MBD and the resulting cost impact on U.S. oncology expenditure...
- Health service use in Russian immigrant and nonimmigrant older personsKaren J Aroian
Wayne State University College of Nursing, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Fam Community Health 30:213-23. 2007..In group-specific analyses, health status and age were significant for both groups and education was also significant for Russians...
- Access to health care for nonmetro and metro Latinos of Mexican origin in the United StatesTerceira A Berdahl
Center for Financing, Access, and Cost Trends, Agency for Health Care Research and Quality AHRQ, 540 Gaither Road, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Med Care 45:647-54. 2007..A growing number of Latinos are moving to nonmetro areas, but little research has examined how this trend might affect the Latino-disadvantage in access to healthcare...
- Health status and health care utilization of multiple sclerosis in CanadaSheri L Pohar
Institute of Health Economics, Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Can J Neurol Sci 34:167-74. 2007..Persons with multiple sclerosis (MS) represent a small segment of the population, but given the progression of the disease, they experience substantial physical, psychosocial and economic burdens...
- Determinants of healthcare utilization in Greece: implications for decision-makingMary Geitona
Department of Economics, University of Thessaly, Volos, Greece
Eur J Gen Pract 13:144-50. 2007..To explore factors influencing the utilization of primary and secondary healthcare in Greece...
- Health services utilization for people with HIV infection: comparison of a population targeted for outreach with the U.S. population in careWilliam E Cunningham
Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, Department of Medicine, UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Med Care 44:1038-47. 2006..However, these hard-to-reach groups are important to study because they may be in greatest need of services...
- Health status, health care use, medication use, and medication adherence among homeless and housed people living with HIV/AIDSDaniel P Kidder
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Am J Public Health 97:2238-45. 2007..We sought to compare health status, health care use, HIV anti-retroviral medication use, and HIV medication adherence among homeless and housed people with HIV/AIDS...
- Prior health care utilization as a potential determinant of enrollment in a 21-year prospective study, the Millennium Cohort StudyTimothy S Wells
Biomechanics Branch, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Building 824, Dayton, OH, USA
Eur J Epidemiol 23:79-87. 2008....
- Racial and ethnic disparities in medical and dental health, access to care, and use of services in US childrenGlenn Flores
Division of General Pediatrics, Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Pediatrics 121:e286-98. 2008..Not enough is known about the national prevalence of racial/ethnic disparities in children's medical and dental care...
- Health practice in long-term survivors of Hodgkin's lymphomaAndrea K Ng
Department of Radiation Oncology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 71:468-76. 2008..To compare the health practice of Hodgkin's lymphoma (HL) survivors and their siblings, and to assess the impact of socioeconomic status and disease history on health practice of HL survivors...
- How effective are copayments in reducing expenditures for low-income adult Medicaid beneficiaries? Experience from the Oregon health planNeal T Wallace
Division of Public Administration, Mark O Hatfield School of Government, Portland State University, P O Box 751, 506 SW Mill Street, Portland, OR 97207 0751, USA
Health Serv Res 43:515-30. 2008..To determine the impact of introducing copayments on medical care use and expenditures for low-income, adult Medicaid beneficiaries...
- The Events in Care Screening Questionnaire (ECSQ): a new tool to identify needs and concerns of people with HIV/AIDSShilpa Patel
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10022, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 22:381-93. 2008..Findings presented here lend support for the construct validity of the ECSQ and demonstrate its value as a starting point for inquiring more fully about the experiences of patients and improving the care they receive...
- Insurance coverage, medical care use, and short-term health changes following an unintentional injury or the onset of a chronic conditionJack Hadley
The Urban Institute, Washington, DC 20037, USA
JAMA 297:1073-84. 2007..Given the large and increasing number of uninsured US individuals, identifying the health consequences of being uninsured has assumed increased importance...
- Identifying affordable sources of medical care among uninsured personsPeter J Cunningham
Center for Studying Health System Change, 600 Maryland Ave, S W, Suite 550, Washington, DC 20024, USA
Health Serv Res 42:265-85. 2007....
- Dimensions of the local health care environment and use of care by uninsured children in rural and urban areasCarole Roan Gresenz
RAND Corporation, Arlington, VA 22202 5050, USA
Pediatrics 117:e509-17. 2006..This article examines the impact of the health care safety net and health care market structure on the use of health care by uninsured children...
- How health insurance inhibits trade in health careAaditya Mattoo
Development Research Group, World Bank in Washington, DC, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 25:358-68. 2006..We propose that coverage should be neutral to provider location and that reimbursement should include travel costs...
- Posttraumatic stress disorder and the use of general health services in postwar KosovoAriel Eytan
Division of Adult Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, Geneva University Hospitals, Switzerland
J Trauma Stress 19:57-67. 2006..have demonstrated that posttraumatic stress symptoms are positively correlated with increased use of general health services; however, comparative data are lacking in postwar settings...
- [Household behaviour regarding health and drug consumption in Cameroon]Christophe Commeyras
Direction de la pharmacie et du médicament, Ambassade de France SCAC, Yaounde, Cameroun
Sante 16:5-12. 2006..In 2002, the population spent 366 billion CFA Francs on health care: 170 billion for drugs, 75 billion for medical examinations, 53 billion for hospitalization, 30 billion for consultations; and 22 billion for transportation...
- [Health and drug consumption profile in Cameroon]Christophe Commeyras
Direction de la pharmacie et du médicament, Ambassade de France SCAC, Yaounde, Cameroun
Sante 16:13-9. 2006..Moreover, injectable drugs accounted for 40 % of the 40 most prescribed drugs, 50 % of the 40 most purchased, and 45 % of the 40 most purchased prescribed drugs. These figures show the low quality of prescription and dispensing...
- Health disparities between island and mainland Puerto RicansGloria Y F Ho
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, United States of America
Rev Panam Salud Publica 19:331-9. 2006..To detect health disparities among three populations--Puerto Ricans living in Puerto Rico as well as Puerto Ricans and non-Hispanic whites living on the United States (U.S.) mainland...
- A profile of children with disabilities receiving SSI: highlights from the National Survey of SSI Children and FamiliesKalman Rupp
Division of Policy Evaluaion, Office of Research, Evaluation, and Statistics, Office of Policy, Social Security Administration, USA
Soc Secur Bull 66:21-48. 2005..In the dominant service category of physical, occupational, and speech therapy, only 11 percent perceived to have had unmet service needs...
- Parental report of health conditions and health care use among children with and without autism: National Survey of Children's HealthJames G Gurney
Child Health Evaluation and Research Unit, Department of Pediatrics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0456, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 160:825-30. 2006..To compare parent-reported prevalence of health conditions and health care use between children with and without autism...
- Aggregation and the measurement of health care costsThomas E Getzen
Department of Risk, Insurance and Healthcare Management, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Health Serv Res 41:1938-54; discussion 1955-8. 2006..can act to improve efficiency, equity and average health status, but will not usually reduce aggregate average per capita costs of medical care...
- Determinants of health care use in chronic fatigue syndrome patients: a cross-sectional studyKorine Scheeres
Expert Centre Chronic Fatigue, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Psychosom Res 65:39-46. 2008..To reduce the related costs for patients and society, it will be useful to know which factors determine CFS patients' amount of health care use. Little is known, however, about these factors...
- The color of hospitalization over the adult life course: cumulative disadvantage in black and white?Kenneth F Ferraro
Center on Aging and the Life Course, Department of Sociology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907 2108, USA
J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 61:S299-306. 2006..Drawing from cumulative disadvantage theory, this research addresses the following questions: Do hospital admission and discharge rates differ for White and Black adults? If yes, do the differences amplify in later life?..
Research Grants186 found, 100 shown here
- REHABILITATION AND FUNCTION RECOVERY AFTER HIP FRACTUREYuchi Young; Fiscal Year: 2003..Findings will be useful for developing intervention programs to improve functional independence among elderly hip fracture patients. ..
- Psychosocial Determinants of Nutrient Intake in GirlsRuth Striegel Moore; Fiscal Year: 2004..Adult weight was also measured. Results from our secondary analyses will be useful for interventions aimed at improving nutritional health. ..
- Research Teaching Day on Eating Disorders ConferenceRuth Striegel Moore; Fiscal Year: 2007..and lasting adverse health outcomes such as infertility and osteoporosis, and contribute to elevated health services utilization...
- Effectiveness of Guided Self-Help for Binge EatingRuth Striegel Moore; Fiscal Year: 2007..These disorders also are associated with elevated health services utilization, yet these services rarely target the eating disorder (ED) specifically...
- ECONOMIC EVALUATION METHODS--DEVELOPMENT & APPLICATIONSMichael French; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- COSTS AND BENEFITS OF ALCOHOL SERVICES & INTERVENTIONSMichael French; Fiscal Year: 2005..S. as well as abroad, the proposed study holds important potential to assist researchers, policymakers, and program directors with economic evaluation guidelines and "real world" applications. ..
- POPULATION-BASED MANAGEMENT OF DEPRESSIONGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 2003..e. 12-18 mos) Incremental cost and cost-effectiveness of each intervention program compared to care as usual. ..
- Epidemiology and Care of Comorbid Obesity and DepressionGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 2006..weight loss, nutrient intake, physical activity, depressive symptoms, functional impairment and disability in the two groups of women with comorbid obesity and depression randomly assigned to the two different intervention programs ..
- Informal Caregiving & Medical Adherence Among HIV+ IDUsAmy Knowlton; Fiscal Year: 2007..Study findings will contribute to the identification of appropriate targets and approaches for the behavioral adherence intervention. ..
- Economic Evaluation Methods: Development and ApplicationMichael French; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Informal Caregiving & Medical Adherence Among HIV+ IDUsAmy Knowlton; Fiscal Year: 2009..Study findings will contribute to the identification of appropriate targets and approaches for the behavioral adherence intervention. ..
- Pilot Trial of Peer Support for Bipolar DisorderGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Economic Consequences of Alcohol Use DisordersMichael French; Fiscal Year: 2007..Estimate the effects of alcohol use disorders on health services utilization including emergency room episodes, injuries requiring medical care, inpatient hospital episodes, ..
- Patient-Centered Interventions for Mood DisordersGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 2007..Study #2 will use marketing research methods to examine consumer demand for treatment and pilot-test marketing interventions to increase demand. ..
- Informal Caregiving & Medical Adherence Among HIV+ IDUsAmy Knowlton; Fiscal Year: 2007..Study findings will contribute to the identification of appropriate targets and approaches for the behavioral adherence intervention. ..
- Can Longitudinal Population-Based Data Help to Personalize Depression Treatment?Gregory E Simon; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose a set of targeted methodologic studies to prepare for a multi-site research consortium focused on predicting response to specific depression treatments. ..
- UTILIZATION AND COST OF HEALTH SERVICES BY CDUsMichael French; Fiscal Year: 2002..2000), the estimated differential in the cost of health services utilization may amount to over $1,000 per year...
- POPULATION BASED MANAGEMENT OF DEPRESSIONGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 1999..Each of the intervention groups will be compared to the usual care group in terms of quality of care, clinical outcomes, functional outcomes, and treatment costs. ..
- Gender Differences in a Follow-up of Opiate Users in CAChristine Grella; Fiscal Year: 2007..drug treatment utilization and other social interventions and associated outcomes; health status and health services utilization; and predictors and correlates of mortality...
- Internal Barriers to Seeking Smoking Cessation TreatmentJohn Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our results will suggest messages for media campaigns and for clinicians to use to motivate smokers to access proven treatments. ..
- Improving Asthma Communication in Minority FamiliesArlene Butz; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Gradual vs Abrupt Cessation Treatment for SmokingJohn Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study will be the first large, systematic test of gradual vs. abrupt cessation. ..
- Research on Tobacco and Marijuana Cessation and ReductionJohn Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2007..The continuation will also include collaborating with other drug abuse researchers at UVM and elsewhere. The applicant will continue to mentor 4-6 students/yr and to be actively engaged in media and policy initiatives. ..
- Natural History of Attempts to Stop SmokingJohn Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- REDUCED SMOKING TO PROMPT SMOKING CESSATIONJohn Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2002..Current public health strategies discourage reduced smoking. If we show reduced smoking prompts quit attempts, it will suggest reconsideration of reduced smoking as an intermediary step toward quitting smoking. ..
- EVALUATION OF A CIGARETTE SUBSTITUTEJohn Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2001..We believe it imperative to begin studying these substitutes so that, unlike low-tar/low nicotine cigarettes, we will know whether their introduction is good or bad for public health. ..
- NEBULIZER INTERVENTION IN MINORITY CHILDREN WITH ASTHMAArlene Butz; Fiscal Year: 2004..Study findings will improve clinical care to this vulnerable population of children and will be if significant use to health care providers, researchers, insurers and policy makers. ..
- A+ Asthma Rural PartnershipArlene Butz; Fiscal Year: 2004..The findings of this study will be important to clinicians, researchers, and health policy makers. ..