Summary: Organisms that live in water.
- Bethoney N, Zhao L, Chen C, Stokesbury K. Identification of persistent benthic assemblages in areas with different temperature variability patterns through broad-scale mapping. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177333 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study demonstrates how the growth of maps from single to multiple elements can help promote and facilitate the multifactor, ecosystem-based thinking needed to support regional ocean planning. ..
- Schnicker N, De Silva S, Todd J, Dey M. Structural and Biochemical Insights into Dimethylsulfoniopropionate Cleavage by Cofactor-Bound DddK from the Prolific Marine Bacterium Pelagibacter. Biochemistry. 2017;56:2873-2885 pubmed publisher..Our biochemical and structural studies provide a detailed understanding of DMS generation by one of the ocean's most prolific bacteria...
- Duran R, Cravo Laureau C. Role of environmental factors and microorganisms in determining the fate of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in the marine environment. FEMS Microbiol Rev. 2016;40:814-830 pubmed publisher..The importance of the microbial ecology in PAH-polluted marine ecosystems is highlighted as well as the importance of gaining further in-depth knowledge of the environmental services provided by microorganisms. ..
- Huang X, Zhao F, Song C, Gao Y, Geng Z, Zhuang P. Effects of stereoscopic artificial floating wetlands on nekton abundance and biomass in the Yangtze Estuary. Chemosphere. 2017;183:510-518 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that SAFWs can form stable environments for nekton and increase habitat available to juvenile fish. ..
- Cicatiello P, Dardano P, Pirozzi M, Gravagnuolo A, De Stefano L, Giardina P. Self-assembly of two hydrophobins from marine fungi affected by interaction with surfaces. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2017;114:2173-2186 pubmed publisher..These self-assembling proteins show promising properties as bio-coating for different materials via a green process. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 2017;114: 2173-2186. © 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Sedlak M, Benskin J, Wong A, Grace R, Greig D. Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFASs) in San Francisco Bay wildlife: Temporal trends, exposure pathways, and notable presence of precursor compounds. Chemosphere. 2017;185:1217-1226 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the PFOS phase-out has resulted in reduced burdens to wildlife in SF Bay, but that exposure to diverse and incompletely characterized PFASs continues. ..
- Kroeker K, Kordas R, Harley C. Embracing interactions in ocean acidification research: confronting multiple stressor scenarios and context dependence. Biol Lett. 2017;13: pubmed publisher..This will not be a simple undertaking, but advances are of the utmost importance as we attempt to mitigate the effects of ongoing global change. ..
- Cole M, Lindeque P, Fileman E, Halsband C, Galloway T. The impact of polystyrene microplastics on feeding, function and fecundity in the marine copepod Calanus helgolandicus. Environ Sci Technol. 2015;49:1130-7 pubmed..We conclude that microplastics impede feeding in copepods, which over time could lead to sustained reductions in ingested carbon biomass. ..
- Gollner S, Kaiser S, Menzel L, Jones D, Brown A, Mestre N, et al. Resilience of benthic deep-sea fauna to mining activities. Mar Environ Res. 2017;129:76-101 pubmed publisher..The loss of hard substrata or alteration of substrata composition may cause substantial community shifts that persist over geological timescales at mined sites. ..
- Deyanova D, Gullström M, Lyimo L, Dahl M, Hamisi M, Mtolera M, et al. Contribution of seagrass plants to CO2 capture in a tropical seagrass meadow under experimental disturbance. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181386 pubmed publisher..This might in turn have long-lasting and devastating effects on important ecosystem functions, including the carbon sequestration capacity of the seagrass system. ..
- Manjunath H, Joshi C, Raju N. Biofabrication of gold nanoparticles using marine endophytic fungus - Penicillium citrinum. IET Nanobiotechnol. 2017;11:40-44 pubmed publisher..Further, in vitro and in vivo studies on these AuNPs will help in developing an alternative, cost-effective and acceptable drug for various ailments. ..
- Tang X, Li J, Moore B. Minimization of the Thiolactomycin Biosynthetic Pathway Reveals that the Cytochrome P450 Enzyme TlmF Is Required for Five-Membered Thiolactone Ring Formation. Chembiochem. 2017;18:1072-1076 pubmed publisher..Our findings pave the way for future biochemical investigation of the biosynthesis of this structurally unique group of thiotetronic acid natural products. ..
- Li Q, Song A, Peng W, Jin Z, Muller W, Wang X. Contribution of aerobic anoxygenic phototrophic bacteria to total organic carbon pool in aquatic system of subtropical karst catchments, Southwest China: evidence from hydrochemical and microbiological study. FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2017;93: pubmed publisher..860, 0.747 and 0.813, respectively) in the Maocun watershed. The results suggest that Polynucleobacter might be involved in the production of organic carbon and might act as the negative feedback on global warming. ..
- Mari L, Bonaventura L, Storto A, Melià P, Gatto M, Masina S, et al. Understanding large-scale, long-term larval connectivity patterns: The case of the Northern Line Islands in the Central Pacific Ocean. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182681 pubmed publisher..This is fundamental for devising scientifically-based protection strategies, which must be space- and time-varying to cope with the challenges posed by the concurrent pressures of human exploitation and global climate change. ..
- Avelelas F, Martins R, Oliveira T, Maia F, Malheiro E, Soares A, et al. Efficacy and Ecotoxicity of Novel Anti-Fouling Nanomaterials in Target and Non-Target Marine Species. Mar Biotechnol (NY). 2017;19:164-174 pubmed publisher..Thus, the immobilization of the biocide ZnPT into nanoclays proved to be a promising efficient and eco-friendly anti-fouling strategy. ..
- Gil Allué C, Schirmer K, Tlili A, Gessner M, Behra R. Silver nanoparticle effects on stream periphyton during short-term exposures. Environ Sci Technol. 2015;49:1165-72 pubmed..Thus, our results show that both silver nanoparticles and silver ions have potential to disrupt basic metabolic functions and enzymatic resource acquisition of stream periphyton. ..
- Barron M. Photoenhanced Toxicity of Petroleum to Aquatic Invertebrates and Fish. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 2017;73:40-46 pubmed publisher..Phototoxicity is observed as a twofold to greater than 1000-fold increase in chemical toxicity to aquatic organisms that also have been exposed to light sources containing sufficient quantity and quality of ultraviolet ..
- Sintra T, Nasirpour M, Siopa F, Rosatella A, Goncalves F, Coutinho J, et al. Ecotoxicological evaluation of magnetic ionic liquids. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2017;143:315-321 pubmed publisher..In order to improve the knowledge for the prospective design of environmentally safer MILs, it is important to expand this study to other aquatic organisms at different trophic levels.
- Frouin H, Jackman P, Dangerfield N, Ross P. Effects of Feeding Strategy, Sediment Characteristics, and Chemical Properties on Polychlorinated Biphenyl and Polybrominated Diphenyl Ether Bioaccumulation from Marine Sediments in Two Invertebrates. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 2017;73:256-269 pubmed publisher
- Lee H, Park Y, Kim S. Enzymatic Cross-Linking of Side Chains Generates a Modified Peptide with Four Hairpin-like Bicyclic Repeats. Biochemistry. 2017;56:4927-4930 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the enzymatic cross-linking of peptide side chains can generate more diverse structures in nature or by engineering...
- Meirelles P, Gadelha L, Francini Filho R, de Moura R, Amado Filho G, Bastos A, et al. BaMBa: towards the integrated management of Brazilian marine environmental data. Database (Oxford). 2015;2015: pubmed publisher..sibbr.gov.br/) and will offer opportunities for improved governance of marine resources and scientists' integration. Database URL: http://marinebiodiversity.lncc.br. ..
- Duarte S, Cássio F, Pascoal C, Bärlocher F. Taxa-area relationship of aquatic fungi on deciduous leaves. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181545 pubmed publisher..Metabarcoding promises greater resolution to assess biodiversity patterns in aquatic fungi and may be more accurate for assessing taxa-area relationships and local to global diversity ratios. ..
- Páez Espino D, Eloe Fadrosh E, Pavlopoulos G, Thomas A, Huntemann M, Mikhailova N, et al. Uncovering Earth's virome. Nature. 2016;536:425-30 pubmed..Our results highlight an extensive global viral diversity and provide detailed insight into viral habitat distribution and host–virus interactions. ..
- Polaski J, Webster S, Johnson J, Batey R. Cobalamin riboswitches exhibit a broad range of ability to discriminate between methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:11650-11658 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this study demonstrates a second distinct means by which tertiary structural interactions in cobalamin riboswitches dictate ligand selectivity. ..
- Mohd Zanuri N, Bentley M, Caldwell G. Assessing the impact of diclofenac, ibuprofen and sildenafil citrate (Viagra®) on the fertilisation biology of broadcast spawning marine invertebrates. Mar Environ Res. 2017;127:126-136 pubmed publisherExposure to synthetic chemicals is a key environmental challenge faced by aquatic organisms. The time and dose effects of the pharmaceuticals diclofenac, ibuprofen, and sildenafil citrate on sperm motility and successful fertilisation ..
- Giraldo A, Montes R, Rodil R, Quintana J, Vidal Liñán L, Beiras R. Ecotoxicological Evaluation of the UV Filters Ethylhexyl Dimethyl p-Aminobenzoic Acid and Octocrylene Using Marine Organisms Isochrysis galbana, Mytilus galloprovincialis and Paracentrotus lividus. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 2017;72:606-611 pubmed publisher..To determine the environmental risk of these substances, the risk coefficient (RQ) was calculated. Due to the higher concentrations reported, OC showed remarkable risk (RQ = 0.27), whereas for OD-PABA the risk was low (RQ = 0.007). ..
- Svensson R, Marshall D. Limiting resources in sessile systems: food enhances diversity and growth of suspension feeders despite available space. Ecology. 2015;96:819-27 pubmed..Consequently, broadening the view of resource limitation beyond solely space may increase our understanding and predictability of marine sessile systems. ..
- Wang Y, Duan R, Zhang J. Differentiating collagens based on mitochondrion 12SrRNA gene. Food Chem. 2017;234:139-143 pubmed publisher..Results indicate that PCR-based detection methods can also suitably trace the species of aquatic collagens. ..
- Oves M, Qari H, Felemban N, Khan M, Rehan Z, Ismail I. Marinobacter lipolyticus from Red Sea for lipase production and modulation of silver nanomaterials for anti-candidal activities. IET Nanobiotechnol. 2017;11:403-410 pubmed publisher..Therefore, bacterium Marinobacter lipolyticus might be used in future for lipase production and nanoparticles fabrication for biomedical application, to control fungal diseases caused by C. albicans. ..
- Tsygankov V, Boyarova M, Lukyanova O, Khristoforova N. Bioindicators of Organochlorine Pesticides in the Sea of Okhotsk and the Western Bering Sea. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 2017;73:176-184 pubmed publisher..The concentrations and possible sources of OCPs in marine organisms as biological indicators are discussed. ..
- Weltz K, Lyle J, Ovenden J, Morgan J, Moreno D, Semmens J. Application of environmental DNA to detect an endangered marine skate species in the wild. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178124 pubmed publisher..With the rate of decay being influenced by starting eDNA concentrations, it is recommended that samples be filtered as soon as possible after collection to minimize further loss of eDNA prior to and during sample processing. ..
- Zhang L, Wei C, Zhang H, Song M. Criteria for assessing the ecological risk of nonylphenol for aquatic life in Chinese surface fresh water. Chemosphere. 2017;184:569-574 pubmed publisher..common pollutant in both fresh and salt water; it compromises the growth and development of many aquatic organisms. As yet, water quality criteria with respect to nonylphenol pollution have not been established in China...
- Cresswell T, Metian M, Golding L, Wood M. Aquatic live animal radiotracing studies for ecotoxicological applications: Addressing fundamental methodological deficiencies. J Environ Radioact. 2017;178-179:453-460 pubmed publisher..However, methods used in published studies for aquatic organisms are rarely described in sufficient detail to allow for study replication or an assessment of the errors ..
- Andruszkiewicz E, Sassoubre L, Boehm A. Persistence of marine fish environmental DNA and the influence of sunlight. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185043 pubmed publisher..However, there are clearly temporal effects that need to be considered when interpreting information obtained using eDNA approaches. ..
- Ebert M, Schweyen P, Bröring M, Laass S, Härtig E, Jahn D. Heme and nitric oxide binding by the transcriptional regulator DnrF from the marine bacterium Dinoroseobacter shibae increases napD promoter affinity. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:15468-15480 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these results, we propose a model for the DnrF-mediated NO stress response of this marine bacterium. ..
- Flint J, Flint M, Limpus C, Mills P. The impact of environmental factors on marine turtle stranding rates. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182548 pubmed publisher..This study will allow first responders and resource managers to be better equipped to deal with increased marine turtle stranding rates following extreme weather events. ..
- Chen Y, Zhou J, Cheng L, Zheng Y, Xu J. Sediment and salinity effects on the bioaccumulation of sulfamethoxazole in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Chemosphere. 2017;180:467-475 pubmed publisherThe dynamic distribution of a widely used antibiotic sulfamethoxazole between water, sediment and aquatic organisms (zebrafish) was studied in microcosms...
- Cui R, Chae Y, An Y. Dimension-dependent toxicity of silver nanomaterials on the cladocerans Daphnia magna and Daphnia galeata. Chemosphere. 2017;185:205-212 pubmed publisher..AgNMs are being manufactured and released into aquatic ecosystems, where they have toxic effects on aquatic organisms. Therefore, an assessment of the toxicities of each multi-dimensional AgNM on aquatic ecosystems is ..
- de Paiva C, de Faria A, Calvão L, Juen L. Effect of oil palm on the Plecoptera and Trichoptera (Insecta) assemblages in streams of eastern Amazon. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:393 pubmed publisher..This planning can minimize impacts of oil palm production on aquatic systems in the Amazon. ..
- Thorson G. Reproductive and larval ecology of marine bottom invertebrates. Biol Rev Camb Philos Soc. 1950;25:1-45 pubmed
- Pan S, Nikolakakis K, Adamczyk P, Pan M, Ruby E, Reed J. Model-enabled gene search (MEGS) allows fast and direct discovery of enzymatic and transport gene functions in the marine bacterium Vibrio fischeri. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:10250-10261 pubmed publisher..This work demonstrates that MEGS provides a rapid and efficient integrated computational and experimental approach for annotating metabolic genes, including those that have previously been uncharacterized or misannotated. ..
- LaLone C, Ankley G, Belanger S, Embry M, Hodges G, Knapen D, et al. Advancing the adverse outcome pathway framework-An international horizon scanning approach. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2017;36:1411-1421 pubmed publisher..Overall, horizon scanning engaged the global scientific community to help identify key questions surrounding the AOP framework and guide the direction of future initiatives. Environ Toxicol Chem 2017;36:1411-1421. © 2017 SETAC. ..
- Bittermann K, Goss K. Assessing the toxicity of ionic liquids - Application of the critical membrane concentration approach. Chemosphere. 2017;183:410-418 pubmed publisher..value for cmemtox of roughly 100 mmol/kg (membrane lipid) for a broad variety of 42 aquatic organisms (333 different chemicals), albeit with a considerable scatter...
- Nall C, SchlÃ¤ppy M, Guerin A. Characterisation of the biofouling community on a floating wave energy device. Biofouling. 2017;33:379-396 pubmed publisher..This research provides an insight into the variation of biofouling assemblages on a wave energy device as well as the potential technical and ecological implications associated with biofouling on marine renewable energy structures. ..
- Huggett M, Kavazos C, Bernasconi R, Czarnik R, Horwitz P. Bacterioplankton assemblages in coastal ponds reflect the influence of hydrology and geomorphological setting. FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2017;93: pubmed publisher..Rare marine taxa, possibly dispersed from seawater assemblages via the underground karst connection, are abundant within the inland system, suggesting an important role for regional dispersal within the metacommunities. ..
- Dinasquet J, Richert I, Logares R, Yager P, Bertilsson S, Riemann L. Mixing of water masses caused by a drifting iceberg affects bacterial activity, community composition and substrate utilization capability in the Southern Ocean. Environ Microbiol. 2017;19:2453-2467 pubmed publisher..Consequently, in a context of global warming, increased frequency of drifting icebergs in polar regions holds the potential to affect carbon and nutrient biogeochemistry at local and possibly regional scales. ..
- Lorig Roach N, Still P, Coppage D, Compton J, Crews M, Navarro G, et al. Evaluating Nitrogen-Containing Biosynthetic Products Produced by Saltwater Culturing of Several California Littoral Zone Gram-Negative Bacteria. J Nat Prod. 2017;80:2304-2310 pubmed publisher..The methods successfully combined in this work should stimulate future studies of molecules from marine-derived Gram-negative bacteria. ..
- Spies R, Mukhtasor M, Burns K. The Montara Oil Spill: A 2009 Well Blowout in the Timor Sea. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 2017;73:55-62 pubmed publisher..Biological survey work was not done in Indonesian waters, but coastal residents attested to relatively severe impacts to algal farms. In addition fish landings declined in one port in southwest Timor Island. ..
- Cerrillo C, Barandika G, Igartua A, Areitioaurtena O, Mendoza G. Key challenges for nanotechnology: Standardization of ecotoxicity testing. J Environ Sci Health C Environ Carcinog Ecotoxicol Rev. 2017;35:104-126 pubmed publisher..Contradictory results have been reported for their ecotoxicity to aquatic organisms, which constitute one of the most important pathways for their entrance and transfer throughout the food web...
- Mahaye N, Thwala M, Cowan D, Musee N. Genotoxicity of metal based engineered nanoparticles in aquatic organisms: A review. Mutat Res. 2017;773:134-160 pubmed publisher..but are generally found in very low concentrations and are therefore likely to exert sub-lethal effects on aquatic organisms. In this review, we: (i) highlight key mechanisms of metal-based ENP-induced genotoxicity, (ii) identify key ..
- Lyndall J, Barber T, Mahaney W, Bock M, Capdevielle M. Evaluation of triclosan in Minnesota lakes and rivers: Part I - ecological risk assessment. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2017;142:578-587 pubmed publisher..Toxicity benchmarks based on fatty acid synthesis inhibition and narcosis were determined for aquatic organisms based, in part, on a species sensitivity distribution of chronic toxicity thresholds from the available ..
- Lee S, Hur S. Antihypertensive peptides from animal products, marine organisms, and plants. Food Chem. 2017;228:506-517 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the ACE-inhibitory effect is closely related with the degree of enzymatic hydrolysis and the composition of the peptide sequence. ..
- Badur A, Plutz M, Yalamanchili G, Jagtap S, Schweder T, Unfried F, et al. Exploiting fine-scale genetic and physiological variation of closely related microbes to reveal unknown enzyme functions. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:13056-13067 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the value of querying the enzymatic repertoires of closely related microbes to rapidly pinpoint key proteins with beneficial functions. ..
- Lin Q, Liang J, Huang Q, Luo C, Anderson D, Bowler C, et al. Differential cellular responses associated with oxidative stress and cell fate decision under nitrate and phosphate limitations in Thalassiosira pseudonana: Comparative proteomics. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184849 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that fundamentally different metabolic responses and cellular regulations are employed by the diatom in response to different nutrient stresses and to keep the cells viable. ..
- Liess M, Gerner N, Kefford B. Metal toxicity affects predatory stream invertebrates less than other functional feeding groups. Environ Pollut. 2017;227:505-512 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we suggest applying the predatorratio within the community as a starting point for an indicator of the dissolved metal toxicity, the SPEARmetals. ..
- Ahlgren N, Chen Y, Needham D, Parada A, Sachdeva R, Trinh V, et al. Genome and epigenome of a novel marine Thaumarchaeota strain suggest viral infection, phosphorothioation DNA modification and multiple restriction systems. Environ Microbiol. 2017;19:2434-2452 pubmed publisher..This new strain provides new insights into the ecology, including viral interactions, of this important group of marine microbes. ..
- Orellana L, Rodriguez R L, Konstantinidis K. ROCker: accurate detection and quantification of target genes in short-read metagenomic data sets by modeling sliding-window bitscores. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:e14 pubmed publisher..Therefore, ROCker can reliably detect and quantify target genes in short-read metagenomes. ..
- Konnerup D, Pedersen O. Flood tolerance of Glyceria fluitans: the importance of cuticle hydrophobicity, permeability and leaf gas films for underwater gas exchange. Ann Bot. 2017;120:521-528 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to assess the effect of these different gas films on underwater net photosynthesis ( P N ) and dark respiration ( R D )...