- Therapeutic options for pneumococcal pneumonia in Turkey
Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Adnan Menderes University Medical Faculty, Aydin, Turkey
Clin Ther 27:674-83. 2005
..Community-acquired pneumonia (CAP) is a leading cause of morbidity and mortality worldwide. Streptococcus pneumoniae continues to be the most important causative agent in CAP...
- The socio-economic determinants of maternal health care utilization in Turkey
School of Health Administration, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Soc Sci Med 50:1797-806. 2000
..individual-, household- and community-level factors that affect women's use of maternal health care services in Turkey. The data used for the study come from the 1993 Turkey Demographic and Health Survey (TDHS), a nationally ..
- Low eradication rate of Helicobacter pylori with triple 7-14 days and quadriple therapy in Turkey
Baskent Universitesi Tip Fakultesi, Adana Uygulama ve Arastirma Merkezi, Dadaloglu Mahallesi, 39 Sokak, No 6, 01250 Adana, Turkey
World J Gastroenterol 10:668-71. 2004
..We aimed to study the eradication rates of different regimens in our region and some factors affecting the rate of eradication...
- Complementary-alternative medicine among cancer patients in the western region of Turkey
Ataturk Training and Research Hospital, Department of Medical Oncology, and Dokuz Eylul University, Institute of Oncology, Izmir, Turkey
J BUON 14:265-9. 2009
To investigate the complementary/alternative medicine (CAM) applications and factors affecting its use among cancer patients in the western region of Turkey.
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in the Mediterranean region of Turkey: evaluation of hypertension, diabetes mellitus, obesity, and dyslipidemia
Department of Internal Medicine, Erciyes University Medical Faculty, Kayseri 38039, Turkey
Metab Syndr Relat Disord 7:427-34. 2009
Metabolic syndrome has become a public health challenge worldwide. The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of and risk factors for metabolic syndrome among adults in the Mediterranean region of Turkey.
- Catastrophic health expenditure and impoverishment in Turkey
Mahmut Saadi Yardim
Hacettepe University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Public Health, Sihhiye, Ankara, Turkey
Health Policy 94:26-33. 2010
This study aims to identify the level of catastrophic health expenditure (CHE) in Turkey and, to reveal household factors predicting this outcome.
- Epizootic hemorrhagic disease in cattle, Western Turkey
Ethem Mutlu Temizel
Uludag University Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Gorukle, Turkey
Emerg Infect Dis 15:317-9. 2009
In 2007, an outbreak of epizootic hemorrhagic disease (EHD) occurred in Turkey. On the basis of clinical investigation, 41 cattle were suspected to have EHD...
- Prevalence of type 2 diabetes mellitus, other cardiovascular risk factors, and cardiovascular disease in Turkish and Moroccan immigrants in North West Europe: a systematic review
P J M Uitewaal
Department of Health Policy and Management, Erasmus Medical Centre Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Prev Med 39:1068-76. 2004
- Prevalence of Behçet's disease in Istanbul, Turkey
Department of Dermatology, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Dermatol 42:803-6. 2003
..much higher in countries along the ancient Silk Route, extending from Japan to Mediterranean countries including Turkey, than in northern Europe and the USA...
- Population-based study of diabetes and risk characteristics in Turkey: results of the turkish diabetes epidemiology study (TURDEP)
Division of Diabetes, Department of Internal Medicine, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Diabetes Care 25:1551-6. 2002
To investigate for the first time the prevalence of diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) nationwide in Turkey; to assess regional variations and relationships between glucose intolerance and lifestyle and physical risk factors.
- High prevalence of diabetes in Adana, a southern province of Turkey
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Baskent University Faculty of Medicine, Adana, Turkey
Diabetes Care 26:3031-4. 2003
To determine the prevalence of diabetes and glucose intolerance and their relationship with risk factors in Adana, a southern province of Turkey, where risk factors are more prominent, probably because of social and economic reasons.
- Characteristics of patients with adult-onset familial Mediterranean fever in Turkey: analysis of 401 cases
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Istanbul Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Clin Pract 59:202-5. 2005
..Prospective clinical studies and investigation of genotypic features are needed to identify the characteristics of this phenotypic variant...
- Familial aggregation of Behçet's disease in Turkey
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Istanbul School of Medicine, University of Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
Ann Rheum Dis 59:622-5. 2000
..The current study aimed at investigating the sibling recurrence risk ratio (lambda s) for Behçet's disease, which is of value in the estimation of the magnitude of genetic factors in the pathogenesis of Behçet's disease...
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in schoolchildren and adolescents in Turkey: a population-based study
Filiz Mine Cizmecioglu
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Pediatrics, Kocaeli University, Faculty of Medicine, Kocaeli, Turkey
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 22:703-14. 2009
..To determine prevalence of the metabolic syndrome (MS) in the pediatric population...
- A field-trial of two restorative materials used with atraumatic restorative treatment in rural Turkey: 24-month results
Department of Operative Dentistry, Kýrýkkale University Dental School, Kýrýkkale, Turkey
J Appl Oral Sci 17:307-14. 2009
..The purpose of this study was to investigate the clinical performance of high-strength glass ionomer cement (HSGIC) and resin-modified glass ionomer (RMGIC) in single and multiple surface carious cavities in the field conditions...
- Awareness of breast cancer risk factors and practice of breast self examination among high school students in Turkey
Department of Surgical Diseases Nursing, Dokuz Eylul University School of Nursing, Izmir, Turkey
BMC Public Health 8:359. 2008
..The purpose of this study was to investigate knowledge and practice of breast self-examination and to determine knowledge of risk factors for breast cancer among high school students...
- Radiation exposure to premature infants in a neonatal intensive care unit in Turkey
Ankara University, Institute of Nuclear Science, Tandogan, Ankara, Turkey
Korean J Radiol 9:416-9. 2008
..The aim of this work was to determine the radiation dose received by infants from radiographic exposure and the contribution from scatter radiation due to radiographic exposure of other infants in the same room...
- Cytogenetic abnormalities in 179 cases with male infertility in Western Region of Turkey: report and review
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Medical Genetics, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
J Assist Reprod Genet 26:119-22. 2009
..In this study we aimed to evaluate the postnatally screened karyotype results in couples who were referred because of primary infertility between 2000 and 2006 in Izmir...
- Seroepidemiological survey for Toxocara canis infection in the northwestern part of Turkey
Osmangazi Universitesi Tip Fakultesi, Cocuk Sagligi ve Hastaliklari Anabilim Dali, Izmir, Turkey
Turkiye Parazitol Derg 31:288-91. 2007
..of sero-epidemiological survey of Toxocara canis infection in urban and rural areas of northwestern part of Turkey. Toxocara seroprevalance was detected among randomly selected 430 children in the rural areas and 141 children in ..
- Genetic diversity and major spoligotype families of drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis clinical isolates from different regions of Turkey
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Inonu University, Malatya, Turkey
Infect Genet Evol 7:513-9. 2007
..Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates, a total of 200 drug-resistant strains isolated in four different regions of Turkey (Marmara n=81; Mediterranean n=39; Aegean n=42; East Anatolia n=38), were typed by spoligotyping and IS6110-..
- The epidemiology of Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever in Turkey, 2002-2007
Gul Ruhsar Yilmaz
Ministry of Health, General Directorate of Primary Health Care, Mithatpasa Cad 3, 06434 Sihhiye, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Infect Dis 13:380-6. 2009
..It has been present in Turkey since 2002...
- One-year follow-up study of posttraumatic stress disorder among earthquake survivors in Turkey
Department of Psychiatry, Harran University Faculty of Medicine, 63100 Sanliurfa, Turkey
Compr Psychiatry 46:328-33. 2005
..In 1998, a major earthquake struck Southern Turkey. The aims of this study were to describe longitudinally the severity and the course of posttraumatic stress ..
- Spread of OXA-48-encoding plasmid in Turkey and beyond
Service de Bacteriologie Virologie, INSERM U914 Emerging Resistance to Antibiotics, Hopital de Bicetre, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Faculte de Medecine Paris Sud, K Bicêtre, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:1369-73. 2010
Eighteen carbapenem-resistant, OXA-48-positive enterobacterial isolates recovered from Turkey, Lebanon, Egypt, France, and Belgium were analyzed...
- Job satisfaction of health care staff employed at health centres in Turkey
Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
Occup Med (Lond) 52:353-5. 2002
..A survey was therefore carried out of health care workers in 21 health centres in Konya, Turkey. The Minnesota Satisfaction Questionnaire was used to investigate job satisfaction...
- Tuberculous meningitis in adults in Turkey: epidemiology, diagnosis, clinic and laboratory [corrected]
Department of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Dicle University Hospital, Diyarbakir, Turkey
Eur J Epidemiol 18:337-43. 2003
..The medical records of adult cases with TBM treated at 12 university hospitals throughout Turkey, between 1985 and 1998 were reviewed using a standardized protocol...
- The contamination with organochlorine pesticides and heavy metals in surface water in Küçük Menderes River in Turkey, 2000-2002
Adnan Menderes University, 09100 Aydin, Turkey
Environ Int 29:29-32. 2003
..the residues of organochlorine pesticides (OCP) and metals in surface water of Küçük Menderes River in Turkey. The results showed that Küçük Menderes River was still polluted with organochlorine pesticide despite the ..
- Perinatal outcome in Berlin (Germany) among immigrants from Turkey
Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Klinik fur Frauenheilkunde und Geburtshilfe, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Arch Gynecol Obstet 274:271-8. 2006
..Are there differences regarding important perinatal outcome-parameters in Berlin relating to ethnicity?..
- Smoking in immigrants: do socioeconomic gradients follow the pattern expected from the tobacco epidemic?
Department of Social Medicine, K2 206, Academic Medical Center University of Amsterdam, PO Box 22700, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Tob Control 15:385-91. 2006
..This paper aims to assess the smoking prevalence and its socioeconomic gradients among three immigrant populations...
- Traditional medicine in Turkey X. Folk medicine in Central Anatolia
Gazi University, Faculty of Pharmacy, Hipodrom 06330, Ankara, Turkey
J Ethnopharmacol 75:95-115. 2001
..Two hundred and ninety one folk remedies obtained from 103 plant species belonging to 40 families and 4 animal species are reported with their vernacular names, parts used, methods of preparing remedies and therapeutic usage...
- Beliefs of Turkish and Moroccan immigrants in The Netherlands about smoking cessation: implications for prevention
Department of Social Medicine, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Health Educ Res 20:622-34. 2005
..When developing smoking cessation interventions, the results show that it is important to include ethnic-specific salient beliefs, such as the subjective norms of the religious leader...
- Multistate outbreak of Listeriosis linked to turkey deli meat and subsequent changes in US regulatory policy
Sami L Gottlieb
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 42:29-36. 2006
..Between July and October 2002, an uncommon strain of L. monocytogenes caused an outbreak of listeriosis in 9 states...
- Parasite density and serum cytokine levels in Plasmodium vivax malaria in Turkey
F Yildiz Zeyrek
Harran University Medical Faculty, Microbiology, Sanliurfa, Turkey
Parasite Immunol 28:201-7. 2006
..between quantitative Plasmodium vivax parasitaemia and serum cytokine levels in a highly endemic region of Turkey, where such a relation has not been investigated before...
- Screening chemical composition and in vitro antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of the essential oils from Origanum syriacum L. growing in Turkey
Mehmet Hakki Alma
Department of Industrial Engineering of Forestry, Faculty of Forestry, University of Kahramanmaras Sutcu Imam, Turkey
Biol Pharm Bull 26:1725-9. 2003
..Lauraceae)] grown in Turkish state forests of the Dortyol district, Turkey, was obtained by steam distillation...
- Quality of life for obese women and men in Turkey
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, 5th Floor, Ege University Hospital, Bornova, Izmir, 35100 Turkey
Prev Chronic Dis 4:A50. 2007
..Obesity is a complex, multifaceted disease that is widespread and growing in the developing world. People who are obese experience health-related quality-of-life impairments...
- Diversity of human rotavirus G9 among children in Turkey
Department of Medical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey
J Med Virol 80:733-40. 2008
..understand the epidemiology of rotavirus infection among children with diarrhea attending two hospitals in Ankara, Turkey. Rotavirus was detected in 39...
- Determination of lead, cadmium and copper in roadside soil and plants in Elazig, Turkey
Sciences Faculty, Chemistry Department, Middle East Technical University, Ankara 06531, Turkey
Environ Monit Assess 136:401-10. 2008
The concentrations of lead, cadmium and copper in roadside soil and plants in Elazig, Turkey were investigated. Soil samples were collected at distances of 0, 25 and 50 m from the roadside...
- Nocturnal enuresis in Turkey: prevalence and accompanying factors in different socioeconomic environments
Kursat B Carman
Department of Pediatrics, Haydarpasa Numune Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Urol Int 80:362-6. 2008
..To study the prevalence of nocturnal enuresis and the impact of associated familial factors in Turkish children with a different socioeconomic status...
- Comparison of the tuberculin skin test and the quantiferon test for latent Mycobacterium tuberculosis infections in health care workers in Turkey
Department of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Duzce University Medical School, Duzce, Turkey
Jpn J Infect Dis 60:102-5. 2007
..However, large-scale trials including quantitative measurement of QFT in subgroups taking into account the division where HCWs are employed and the different results of TST might clarify the usefulness of QFT in LTBI diagnosis...
- Iodine deficiency and goiter prevalence in Turkey after mandatory iodization
Department of Pediatrics, University of Suleyman Demirel, Isparta, Turkey
J Endocrinol Invest 29:714-8. 2006
The determination of (a) iodine deficiency, and (b) the relation between the iodized salt consumption in the Isparta province of Turkey.
- The molecular pathology of beta-thalassemia in Turkey: the Boğaziçi university experience
A Nazi Basak
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Neurodegeneration Research Laboratory, Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey
Hemoglobin 31:233-41. 2007
..beta-Thal is a major public health concern in Turkey; throughout the country the gene frequency is estimated to be 2...
- Frequency of norovirus in stool samples from hospitalized children due to acute gastroenteritis in Anatolia, Turkey, 2006-2007
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, Afyon Kocatepe University, Afyonkarahisar, Turkey
Scand J Infect Dis 41:685-8. 2009
..In this pilot study, the frequency of norovirus infection in children in mid-western Turkey was investigated from November 2006 to June 2007...
- Identification of Candida species isolated from bovine mastitic milk and their in vitro hemolytic activity in Western Turkey
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Afyon Kocatepe University, Ahmet Necdet Sezer Campus, 03200, Afyonkarahisar, Turkey
Mycopathologia 169:303-8. 2010
..zeylanoides, C. albicans and C. kefyr were higher than other strains. This is the first study to describe variable hemolysis types exhibited by different Candida strains isolated from bovine mastitic milk in Turkey.
- The complete genome analysis of Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever virus isolated in Turkey
Department of Virology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Firat University, Elazig, Turkey
Virus Res 147:288-93. 2010
..It was first recognized in Turkey in 2002, with an increasing number of cases reported between 2002 and 2009...
- Celiac disease in 87 children with typical and atypical symptoms in Black Sea region of Turkey
Unit of Pediatric Gastroenterology Hepatology and Nutrition, Faculty of Medicine, Ondokuz Mayis University, Samsun, Turkey
World J Pediatr 5:282-6. 2009
..This study aimed to determine typical and atypical cases according to presenting symptoms and to evaluate their biochemical and pathological parameters...
- Prevalence and antimicrobial susceptibility of Escherichia coli in outpatient urinary isolates in Izmir, Turkey
Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Tepecik Educational and Research Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
Med Sci Monit 15:PI61-5. 2009
..The aim of this study was to determine the antibiotic susceptibility patterns of E. coli strains isolated from adult outpatients with UTI, in Izmir, Turkey.
- Prospective analysis of nosocomial infections in a burn care unit, Turkey
Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Haydarpasa Training Hospital, Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Kars, 34668 Uskudar Istanbul, Turkiye
Indian J Med Res 130:758-64. 2009
..of burned patients, admitted and treated between January 2004 and December 2005 in a nine-bed burn unit in Turkey, was performed prospectively to identify the common pathogens and incidence of nosocomial infection in these ..
- Aggression and violence towards health care providers--a problem in Turkey?
Abant Izzet Baysal University, Izzet Baysal Faculty of Medicine, Department of General Surgery, Bolu, Turkey
J Forensic Leg Med 14:423-8. 2007
..The results of this study mirrored those of similar surveys in Turkey. Non-reporting was revealed as a major problem...
- Thalassaemia screening in a non-prevalent region of a prevalent country (Turkey): is it necessary?
Department of Medical Education, Ataturk University School of Medicine, 25240 Erzurum, Turkey
Public Health 122:620-4. 2008
Haemoglobinopathies are the most widespread inherited disorders in the world, and are also common in Turkey. Haemoglobinopathies are preventable with control programmes...
- Medical waste management in Turkey: A case study of Istanbul
Mehmet Emin Birpinar
Ministry of Environment and Forestry, Environment and Forestry Directorate of Istanbul City, Sirkeci, 34112 Eminönü, Istanbul, Turkey
Waste Manag 29:445-8. 2009
..waste management in the light of the Medical Waste Control Regulation (MWCR) in Istanbul, the largest city in Turkey. About 17% of the hospitals, 20% of bed capacity, and 54% of private hospitals in Turkey are located in Istanbul...
- Analysis of dissolved microcystins in surface water samples from Kovada Lake, Turkey
Department of Biological Sciences, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey
Sci Total Environ 407:4038-46. 2009
Dissolved (extracellular) microcystin (MC) concentrations were determined at 3 sampling stations on Lake Kovada, Turkey. The dominant species of cyanobacteria found in August and September of 2006 were Microcystis aeruginosa, ..
- Antibiotic resistance patterns of coagulase-negative staphylococcus strains isolated from blood cultures of septicemic patients in Turkey
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Istanbul University Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, 34098 Cerrahpasa, Istanbul, Turkey
Microbiol Res 164:404-10. 2009
..Additionally, most S. epidermidis strains were slime-positive, with statistically significant (p<0.001) association between methicillin resistance and slime production...
- Medicinal plants used in Kirklareli Province (Turkey)
University of Istanbul, Faculty of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmaceutical Botany, Beyazit, 34116 Istanbul, Turkey
J Ethnopharmacol 111:341-64. 2007
In this paper, 126 traditional medicinal plants from Kirklareli Province in Turkey have been reported...
- Current iodine status in Turkey
M F Erdogan
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara University, Ankara, Turkey
J Endocrinol Invest 32:617-22. 2009
To evaluate the current nationwide iodine status in Turkey by determining urinary iodine concentrations (UIC) and household salt iodine content. A follow- up monitoring study was also conducted in 30 urban areas.
- Screening for retinopathy of prematurity in a tertiary care newborn unit in Turkey: frequency, outcomes, and risk factor analysis
Fatih Mehmet Mutlu
Department of Ophthalmology, Gulhane Military Medical Academy and Medical School, Ankara, Turkey
J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus 45:291-8. 2008
..To report the frequency, risk factors, and outcomes of screening for retinopathy of prematurity (ROP)...
- Breastfeeding practices in Duzce, Turkey
Department of Public Health, Duzce Medical School, Duzce University, Konuralp Duzce, Turkey
J Hum Lact 24:393-400. 2008
..causes of early discontinuation of breastfeeding (< or = 6 months) in children aged 0 to 24 months in Duzce, Turkey. In this cross-sectional study, the study group consisted of 158 children, and questionnaires were completed by ..
- Congenital hypothyroidism and iodine status in Turkey: a comparison between the data obtained from an epidemiological study in school-aged children and neonatal screening for congenital hypothyroidism in Turkey
Department of Pediatric Endocrinology, Royal Children s Hospital, University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom
Pediatr Endocrinol Rev 1:155-61. 2003
..Congenital hypothyroidism and endemic iodine deficiency are the most common cause of mental retardation. However in both cases retardation is of nonpreventable nature...
- Iodine deficiency in pregnant women in eastern Turkey (Malatya Province): 7 years after the introduction of mandatory table salt iodization
Gaziosmanpasa University, School of Medicine, Department of Public Health, Tokat 60100, Turkey
Public Health Nutr 12:849-52. 2009
The aim of the present study was to evaluate the urinary I excretion of pregnant women in Malatya Province, eastern Turkey.
- Refractive errors of medical students in Turkey: one year follow-up of refraction and biometry
Department of Ophthalmology, Marmara University School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
Optom Vis Sci 84:175-80. 2007
..Besides general refractive characteristics of the students, the possible relationship between the occurrence of myopia and several factors was also determined...
- Serological and molecular studies on Dirofilaria immitis in dogs from Turkey
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Firat, Elazig 23119, Turkey
J Helminthol 82:181-6. 2008
..05). Prevalence rates were highest in Kocaeli province (18.3%), followed by Ankara (14.8%), Sakarya (12.3%) and Mersin (10.5%) provinces. Prevalence in Elazig province was 0%. No dogs or cats had microfilarial DNA detectable by PCR...
- Further characterization of a new recombinant group of Plum pox virus isolates, PPV-T, found in orchards in the Ankara province of Turkey
Cigdem Ulubas Serçe
Mustafa Kemal University, Plant Protection Department, Hatay, 31034 Antakya, Turkey
Virus Res 142:121-6. 2009
Sixteen Plum pox virus (PPV) isolates collected in the Ankara region of Turkey were analyzed using available serological and molecular typing assays...
- Determination of antioxidant effects of some plant species wild growing in Turkey
Faculty of Science and Education, Department of Biology, Afyon Kocatepe University, Afyonkarahisar, Turkey
Int J Food Sci Nutr 59:643-51. 2008
..The results obtained in the present study indicated that the R. hemisphaerica J.Herrm., P. cerasus L. and R. canina are potential sources of natural antioxidant. These antioxidant properties depend on the concentration of the sample...
- Prevalence and epidemiological aspects of Dirofilaria immitis in dogs from Kayseri Province, Turkey
Erciyes University, Department of Parasitology, Kayseri, Turkey
Res Vet Sci 82:358-63. 2007
..immitis infection and to investigate the risk factors related to heartworm disease in dogs from Kayseri, Turkey. Blood samples were collected from 280 dogs from May 2005 to March 2006 and were examined by membrane filtration-..
- Prevalence and genotypes of Helicobacter pylori in gastric biopsy specimens from patients with gastroduodenal pathologies in the Cukurova Region of Turkey
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Cukurova, Adana, Turkey
J Clin Microbiol 47:4150-3. 2009
The effects of Helicobacter pylori genotypes on clinical prognosis in the Cukurova region of Turkey were investigated by PCR...
- [School screening for scoliosis in Sivas, Turkey]
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Sivas State Hospital, Sivas, Turkey
Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc 43:426-30. 2009
We investigated the prevalence of scoliosis among primary school students in Sivas, Turkey.
- The prevalence of anterior teeth with dens invaginatus in the western Mediterranean region of Turkey
Faculty of Dentistry, Department of Paedodontics, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey
Int Endod J 42:727-34. 2009
..To assess the prevalence and type of dens invaginatus in anterior teeth of a selected population and to report associated dental complications...
- The prevalence of headache and its association with socioeconomic status among schoolchildren in istanbul, Turkey
Division of Pediatric Neurology, School of Medicine, Acibadem University, Istanbul, Turkey
Headache 49:697-703. 2009
..An interaction of organic, psychological, and psychosocial factors is operative. In this study, we aimed to determine the prevalence of headache and its association with socioeconomic status among schoolchildren...
- Is Toxoplasma gondii a potential risk for traffic accidents in Turkey?
Celal Bayar University, School of Medicine, Department of Parasitology, P K 76 45000, Manisa, Turkey
Forensic Sci Int 163:34-7. 2006
In Turkey, traffic accidents are the major causes of mortality and morbidity. According to the statistics made by Turkish Security Headquarters in the year 2000, 7500 people are killed in the traffic accidents every year...
- Class 1 and class 2 integrons and plasmid-mediated antibiotic resistance in coliforms isolated from ten rivers in northern Turkey
Osman Birol Ozgumus
Microbiology and Molecular Biology Research Laboratory, Department of Biology, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Rize University, 53100 Rize, Turkey
J Microbiol 47:19-27. 2009
..the molecular mechanisms of antibiotic resistance in coliforms isolated from ten rivers in northern region of Turkey. A total of 183 isolates were tested for antimicrobial susceptibility by disk diffusion and agar dilution methods...
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome-related disorders in a large adult population in Turkey
S Yavuz Sanisoglu
Department of Biostatistics, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey
BMC Public Health 6:92. 2006
There are few existing large population studies on the epidemiology of metabolic syndrome-related disorders of Turkey. The purpose of this study was to assess the prevalence of metabolic syndrome-related disorders in the Turkish adult ..
- Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever virus in high-risk population, Turkey
Vocational School of Health Services, Cumhuriyet University, Sivas, Turkey
Emerg Infect Dis 15:461-4. 2009
In the Tokat and Sivas provinces of Turkey, the overall Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever virus (CCHFV) seroprevalence was 12.8% among 782 members of a high-risk population...
- Unintentional non-fatal home-related injuries in Central Anatolia, Turkey: frequencies, characteristics, and outcomes
Gulagac Health Center, Provincial Health Directorate, Aksaray 68000, Turkey
Injury 39:535-46. 2008
..Preventive measures should be prioritised to risk groups such as individuals with low incomes and those living alone...
- Prevalence and risk factors of overweight and obesity among urban school children in Elazig city, Eastern Turkey, 2007
Department of Family Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Firat, Elazig, Turkey
Ann Hum Biol 37:44-56. 2010
..Very little data are currently available on the prevalence of childhood obesity in Turkey, and more research on the risk factors is required before preventive public health programmes can be put into ..
- Carbapenem-resistant Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae isolates from Turkey with OXA-48-like carbapenemases and outer membrane protein loss
Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, 06100 Sihhiye, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Antimicrob Agents 31:523-6. 2008
..following imipenem therapy from two hospital patients who had received imipenem therapy in different regions of Turkey. Both isolates produced OXA-48-like carbapenemases, enzymes so far reported only from Turkey...
- Alcohol use prevalence and sociodemographic correlates of alcohol use in a university student sample in Turkey
Inci Ozgur Ilhan
Alcohol and Substance Abuse Treatment Unit, Ankara University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 43:575-83. 2008
This study is a survey to determine prevalence and sociodemographic correlates of drinking problems among students from five university centres in Turkey.
- Seropositivity for delta hepatitis in patients with chronic hepatitis B and liver cirrhosis in Turkey: a meta-analysis
Department of Gastroenterology, Ufuk University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Liver Int 28:494-8. 2008
..Recent reports suggest a decline of delta hepatitis (DH) in the West as well as in the Far East...
- Prevalence of COPD: first epidemiological study of a large region in Turkey
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Turgut Ozal Research Center, Inonu University, Malatya, Turkey
Eur J Intern Med 19:499-504. 2008
..This study was designed to obtain some baseline data on COPD in the Malatya region of Turkey.
- Assessment of trace element contents of chicken products from Turkey
Ozgur Dogan Uluozlu
Gaziosmanpasa University, Faculty of Science and Arts, Department of Chemistry, 60250 Tokat, Turkey
J Hazard Mater 163:982-7. 2009
Due to the consumption of chicken and chicken products in Turkey at high ratio, trace metal content of chicken and chicken products from Turkey were determined by atomic absorption spectrometry after microwave digestion...
- Clinical features of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo in Western Turkey
Department of Neurology, Ege University Medical School, Bornova, Turkey
Eur Neurol 59:315-9. 2008
..It was the aim of this study to analyze the clinical manifestations, the incidence of each variant and the comorbid conditions of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) as well as the response to treatment...
- Vitamin D status among immigrant mothers from Pakistan, Turkey and Somalia and their infants attending child health clinics in Norway
Ahmed A Madar
Institute of General Practice and Community Medicine, University of Oslo, PO Box 1130, Blindern, N 0318 Oslo, Norway
Br J Nutr 101:1052-8. 2009
..In conclusion, there is widespread vitamin D deficiency in immigrant mothers and their infants living in Norway. Exclusively breast-fed infants who did not receive vitamin D supplements had particularly severe vitamin D deficiency...
- Prevalence, incidence, predictors and outcome of type 2 diabetes in Turkey
Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Anadolu Kardiyol Derg 6:314-21. 2006
..To investigate prospectively the incidence, certain predictors and outcomes of type 2 diabetes (DM), as well as to determine its prevalence cross-sectionally, in a representative sample of Turkish men and women...
- Antimicrobial activities of the essential oils of Origanum onites L., Origanum vulgare L. subspecies hirtum (Link) Ietswaart, Satureja thymbra L., and Thymus cilicicus Boiss. & Bal. growing wild in Turkey
Medical Laboratory Program, Vocationary School of Health Care, Mugla University, Mugla, Turkey
J Med Food 11:568-73. 2008
..hirtum (Link) Ietswaart, and Thymus cilicicus Boiss. & Bal. were collected from various regions of Mugla, Turkey. The essential oils of these plants were obtained by the hydrodistillation method...
- Alopecia areata in Turkey: demographic and clinical features
Department of Dermatology, Duzce Medical School, Duzce University, Duzce, Turkey
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 22:977-81. 2008
..Alopecia areata is a complex genetic disease with still many unknown aspects, and many studies have been tried to find some clues about it...
- The neuropsychiatric inventory scores change across the mini mental state examination ranges in patients with Alzheimer's disease: a multicenter study in Turkey
Gorsev G Yener
Department of Neurology and Neurosciences, Brain Dynamics Multidisciplinary Research and Application Center, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir Turkey
Cogn Behav Neurol 22:264-9. 2009
..To investigate neuropsychiatric manifestations in patients at various stages of Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- Distribution of hepatitis C virus genotypes in patients with chronic hepatitis C infection in Western Turkey
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Ege University Medical Faculty, Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
Int J Infect Dis 12:239-44. 2008
..distribution of various genotypes of hepatitis C virus (HCV) in patients with chronic HCV infection in Western Turkey. Additional objectives were to determine whether there are any associations of genotype with gender and age, and ..
- Complementary and alternative medicine used by pediatric patients with cancer in western Turkey
Rabia E Genc
Izmir Ataturk School of Health, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
Oncol Nurs Forum 36:E159-64. 2009
..To determine the extent of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) use, the types of therapies employed, and the reasons for choosing those therapies...
- A survey on patient safety culture in primary healthcare services in Turkey
Department of Public Health, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
Int J Qual Health Care 21:348-55. 2009
..To evaluate the patient safety culture in primary healthcare units...
- An analysis of carbon monoxide poisoning cases in Bursa, Turkey
Department of Emergency Medicine, Uludag University Medical School, Bursa, Turkey
East Mediterr Health J 16:101-6. 2010
Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning from coal and gas heaters is a public health concern in Turkey. This study estimated the prevalence, mortality rate and clinical predictors of severity of CO poisoning cases treated at the emergency unit of ..
- Optimization of extracellular endoxylanase, endoglucanase and peroxidase production by Streptomyces sp. F2621 isolated in Turkey
Biyoloji Bolumu, Fen Edebiyat Fakultesi, Mersin Universitesi, Ciftlikkoy, Mersin, Turkey
J Appl Microbiol 97:783-91. 2004
..To determine the effect of environmental conditions on the production of extracellular lignocellulose-degrading enzymes by Streptomyces sp. F2621 and to assess the potential use of these enzymes in the hydrolysis of lignocellulose material...
- Intervention of the Renal Disaster Relief Task Force in the 1999 Marmara, Turkey earthquake
Renal Division, University Hospital, Gent, Belgium
Kidney Int 59:783-91. 2001
..Currently, the primary problem is organizational, if huge catastrophes occur and complex therapeutic options need to be offered to a large number of victims...
- Antimicrobial resistance among Gram-negative bacteria isolated from intensive care units in a Cardiology Institute in Istanbul, Turkey
Laboratory of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Institute of Cardiology, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Jpn J Infect Dis 58:228-31. 2005
..e., 27.7 and 57.5%, respectively. High rates of resistance to all antibiotics studied were observed. The most active agent against the majority of the isolates was imipenem (79.2%), followed by levofloxacin (77%) and ciprofloxacin (71%)...
- Including expectant fathers in antenatal education programmes in Istanbul, Turkey
J M Turan
Istanbul Tip Fakultesi, Kadin ve Cocuk Sağliği Eğitim ve Araştirma Birimi, Cerrahi Monoblok karşisi, Capa 34390, Istanbul, Turkey
Reprod Health Matters 9:114-25. 2001
..present the results of three studies investigating methods for including men in antenatal education in Istanbul, Turkey. Participants were first-time expectant parents living in low and middle-income areas...
- A survey on canine leishmaniasis in western Turkey by parasite, DNA and antibody detection assays
Ege University Medical School, Department of Parasitology, Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
Acta Trop 74:1-6. 2000
..visceral leishmaniasis (VL) caused by Leishmania infantum is found throughout the Mediterranean Region, including Turkey, where dogs are considered to be the main reservoir host for this parasite...
- The use of complementary and alternative (non-conventional) medicine in cancer patients in Turkey
Lale A Algier
Department of Nursing, Health Sciences Faculty, Baskent University, Baglica Campus, Ankara 06530, Turkey
Eur J Oncol Nurs 9:138-46. 2005
..methods of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) used by cancer patients and their characteristics in Turkey. The sample consisted of 100 cancer patients who were monitored in the oncology outpatient and inpatient ..
- Prevalence of posttraumatic stress disorder and comorbid depression in earthquake survivors in Turkey: an epidemiological study
Section of Trauma Studies, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College, University of London, London, United Kingdom
J Trauma Stress 17:133-41. 2004
..examined the prevalence of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and depression 14 months after the earthquake in Turkey in 2 randomly selected samples from the epicenter (n = 530) and a suburb of Istanbul 100 km from the epicenter (n =..
- Height, weight, body mass index and pubertal development reference values for children of Turkish origin in the Netherlands
A Miranda Fredriks
Child Health Division, TNO Prevention and Health, 2301 CE Leiden, The Netherlands
Eur J Pediatr 162:788-93. 2003
..these references with the reference data of children of Dutch origin and with Turkish reference data collected in Turkey and elsewhere in Europe...
- Disability and its effects on quality of life among older people living in Antalya city center, Turkey
Department of Public Health, Akdeniz University Medical Faculty, Campus, 07070 Antalya, Turkey
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 40:213-23. 2005
..These findings must to be incorporated into planning procedures as expenditure is allocated in order to decrease disability...
- Parental educational level and cardiovascular disease risk factors in schoolchildren in large urban areas of Turkey: directions for public health policy
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Harokopio University of Athens, 70, E, Venizelou Ave, 17671 Kallithea, Athens, Greece
BMC Public Health 5:13. 2005
..e. dietary habits, physical activity status) factors related to CVD risk and its relationships to paternal (PEL) and maternal educational level (MEL) among primary schoolchildren in Turkey.
- Serological and entomological survey in a zoonotic visceral leishmaniasis focus of North Central Anatolia, Turkey: Corum province
Adnan Menderes University, Medical School Department of Parasitology, Aydin, Turkey
Acta Trop 93:239-46. 2005
..and entomological survey on a visceral leishmaniasis (VL) focus located on the northern central part of Anatolia, Turkey. Five villages of Corum province, where five confirmed cases of human visceral leishmaniasis (HVL) (one patient/..
- Prevalence of psychiatric disorders three years after the 1999 earthquake in Turkey: Marmara Earthquake Survey (MES)
Department of Psychiatry, Medical Faculty of Kocaeli University, Kocaeli, Turkey
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 41:868-74. 2006
..The objective of the study is to describe the community prevalence of psychiatric disorder, mainly posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) 3 years after a devastating earthquake...
- Prevalence of hepatitis B infection in the southeastern region of Turkey: comparison of risk factors for HBV infection in rural and urban areas
Department of Gastroenterology, Medical School of Dicle University, 21280 Diyarbakir, Turkey
Jpn J Infect Dis 58:15-9. 2005
..there are currently no data on the differences in hepatitis B seroprevalence between urban and rural areas of Turkey. In the present study, therefore, we used 30-cluster sampling to determine and compare the prevalence of hepatitis ..
- Characterization of rpoB mutations in rifampin-resistant clinical isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis from Turkey by DNA sequencing and line probe assay
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, School of Medicine, Ege University 35100, Izmir, Turkey
J Clin Microbiol 40:4435-8. 2002
..resistance were studied in 41 rifampin-resistant clinical strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolated in Turkey. Fourteen different rpoB alleles, three of which had not been reported before, were found...