- Risk factors for coronary heart disease among immigrant women from Iran and Turkey, compared to women of Swedish ethnicity
Unit for Clinical Nutrition Research, Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Uppsala University, Sweden
Ethn Dis 15:213-20. 2005
..The aim of the study was to compare a group of immigrant women from the Middle East living in Sweden to Swedish-born controls regarding the prevalence of certain cardiovascular risk factors...
- The socio-economic determinants of maternal health care utilization in Turkey
School of Health Administration, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Soc Sci Med 50:1797-806. 2000
..individual-, household- and community-level factors that affect women's use of maternal health care services in Turkey. The data used for the study come from the 1993 Turkey Demographic and Health Survey (TDHS), a nationally ..
- Low eradication rate of Helicobacter pylori with triple 7-14 days and quadriple therapy in Turkey
Baskent Universitesi Tip Fakultesi, Adana Uygulama ve Arastirma Merkezi, Dadaloglu Mahallesi, 39 Sokak, No 6, 01250 Adana, Turkey
World J Gastroenterol 10:668-71. 2004
..We aimed to study the eradication rates of different regimens in our region and some factors affecting the rate of eradication...
- Molecular epidemiology of Blastocystis infections in Turkey
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Haydarpasa Training Hospital, Uskudar, Istanbul, Turkey
Parasitol Int 57:300-6. 2008
..In order to describe the molecular epidemiology of Blastocystis infections in Turkey, 87 isolates from 69 symptomatic and 18 asymptomatic individuals were sequenced...
- Molecular epidemiology of Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever virus in Turkey: occurrence of local topotype
Ministry of Health, Refik Saydam National Public Health Agency RSNPHA, Virology Reference and Research Laboratory, 06100 Ankara, Turkey
Virus Res 149:64-70. 2010
..of this study was to investigate the molecular epidemiology of Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever virus (CCHFV) in Turkey. The study was performed on a total of 48 confirmed human CCHF cases from 2006 to 2008...
- Population-based study of diabetes and risk characteristics in Turkey: results of the turkish diabetes epidemiology study (TURDEP)
Division of Diabetes, Department of Internal Medicine, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Diabetes Care 25:1551-6. 2002
To investigate for the first time the prevalence of diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) nationwide in Turkey; to assess regional variations and relationships between glucose intolerance and lifestyle and physical risk factors.
- Complementary-alternative medicine among cancer patients in the western region of Turkey
Ataturk Training and Research Hospital, Department of Medical Oncology, and Dokuz Eylul University, Institute of Oncology, Izmir, Turkey
J BUON 14:265-9. 2009
To investigate the complementary/alternative medicine (CAM) applications and factors affecting its use among cancer patients in the western region of Turkey.
- Epizootic hemorrhagic disease in cattle, Western Turkey
Ethem Mutlu Temizel
Uludag University Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Gorukle, Turkey
Emerg Infect Dis 15:317-9. 2009
In 2007, an outbreak of epizootic hemorrhagic disease (EHD) occurred in Turkey. On the basis of clinical investigation, 41 cattle were suspected to have EHD...
- Prevalence of type 2 diabetes mellitus, other cardiovascular risk factors, and cardiovascular disease in Turkish and Moroccan immigrants in North West Europe: a systematic review
P J M Uitewaal
Department of Health Policy and Management, Erasmus Medical Centre Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Prev Med 39:1068-76. 2004
- Prevalence of Behçet's disease in Istanbul, Turkey
Department of Dermatology, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Dermatol 42:803-6. 2003
..much higher in countries along the ancient Silk Route, extending from Japan to Mediterranean countries including Turkey, than in northern Europe and the USA...
- Familial aggregation of Behçet's disease in Turkey
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Istanbul School of Medicine, University of Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
Ann Rheum Dis 59:622-5. 2000
..The current study aimed at investigating the sibling recurrence risk ratio (lambda s) for Behçet's disease, which is of value in the estimation of the magnitude of genetic factors in the pathogenesis of Behçet's disease...
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in schoolchildren and adolescents in Turkey: a population-based study
Filiz Mine Cizmecioglu
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Pediatrics, Kocaeli University, Faculty of Medicine, Kocaeli, Turkey
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 22:703-14. 2009
..To determine prevalence of the metabolic syndrome (MS) in the pediatric population...
- The age at menopause and associated factors at the health center area in Ankara, Turkey
Department of Public Health, Ankara University School of Medicine, Ali Dede Sokak No 6 28, 06540 Aş aği Ayranci, Ankara, Turkey
Maturitas 49:211-9. 2004
This study is performed in one health center area in Ankara, Turkey on a women population of 50-65 years in order to demonstrate menopausal status of women, age at menopause and factors related with the age at menopause.
- Tuberculosis in Turkey: high altitude and other socio-economic risk factors
A C Tanrikulu
Department of Chest Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Kafkas University, Turkey
Public Health 122:613-9. 2008
In Turkey, there are insufficient data regarding the relation between altitude and the incidence of tuberculosis (TB).
- Drug utilization and potentially inappropriate drug use in elderly residents of a community in Istanbul, Turkey
Department of Public Health, School of Medicine, Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 43:195-202. 2005
..This study investigates drug utilization and estimates the prevalence of potentially inappropriate drug use in a Turkish population aged 70 years or older...
- Toxocara seroprevalence in schizophrenic patients in Turkey
Department of Medical Parasitology, Firat University, Faculty of Medicine, TR 23119 Elazig, Turkey
Yonsei Med J 49:224-9. 2008
..To investigate the seroprevalence of toxocariasis in patients diagnosed as schizophrenia...
- The early Upper Paleolithic occupations at Uçağizli Cave (Hatay, Turkey)
Steven L Kuhn
Department of Anthropology, P O Box 210030, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
J Hum Evol 56:87-113. 2009
This paper summarizes results from excavations at Uçağizli Cave (Hatay, Turkey) between 1999 and 2002 and 2005...
- Analysis of dissolved microcystins in surface water samples from Kovada Lake, Turkey
Department of Biological Sciences, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey
Sci Total Environ 407:4038-46. 2009
Dissolved (extracellular) microcystin (MC) concentrations were determined at 3 sampling stations on Lake Kovada, Turkey. The dominant species of cyanobacteria found in August and September of 2006 were Microcystis aeruginosa, ..
- Serological evidence of West Nile Virus (WNV) in mammalian species in Turkey
Ankara University, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Virology, Diskapi, Ankara, Turkey
Epidemiol Infect 134:826-9. 2006
..of mammalian species (ass-mules, cat, cattle, dog, horse, human and sheep) in 10 representative provinces of Turkey, were surveyed for the presence of neutralizing antibodies to West Nile virus (WNV). Overall, 1 of 40 (2...
- Neonatal screening for congenital hypothyroidism in West Black Sea area, Turkey
Abant Izzet Baysal University, Duzce School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Duzce, Turkey
Int J Clin Pract 59:336-41. 2005
..of congenital hypothyroidism (CH) in the West Black Sea Area, a mild-to-moderate iodine deficient area in Turkey. Neonatal screening for CH was performed using blood specimens collected onto filter paper...
- A survey on patient safety culture in primary healthcare services in Turkey
Department of Public Health, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
Int J Qual Health Care 21:348-55. 2009
..To evaluate the patient safety culture in primary healthcare units...
- Predictors of psychological distress in survivors of the 1999 earthquakes in Turkey: effects of relocation after the disaster
Department of Psychiatry, Izzet Baysal Medical School, Abant Izzet Baysal University, Bolu, Turkey
Acta Psychiatr Scand 114:194-202. 2006
Relocations after disasters are known to cause added distress in survivors. This study examined the effects of migration and other factors on psychological status of survivors 4 years after the two severe earthquakes in Turkey.
- Estimating mortality and causes of death in Turkey: methods, results and policy implications
Baskent University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Public Health 17:593-9. 2007
..In Turkey, a partially functioning vital registration system in urban areas yields fragmentary evidence on levels and causes ..
- Measles, rubella, mumps, and varicella seroprevalence among health care workers in Turkey: is prevaccination screening cost-effective?
Ankara Numune Education and Research Hospital, The First Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology Clinic, Turkey
Am J Infect Control 34:583-7. 2006
To investigate the immune status of health care workers (HCWs) against measles, rubella, mumps, and varicella zoster (MMRV) in Turkey and to define an appropriate vaccination program among HCWs.
- Physical fitness in rural children compared with urban children in Turkey
School of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation, Dokuz Eylul University, 35340 Inciralti, Izmir, Turkey
Pediatr Int 47:26-31. 2005
..This study aims to investigate the effects of environmental factors, lifestyle and leisure time activities on physical fitness in rural and urban children...
- Hepatitis B virus and hepatitis C virus seroprevalence in rural areas of the southwestern region of Turkey
Fusun Zeynep Akcam
Department of Infectious Disease and Clinical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey
Int J Infect Dis 13:274-84. 2009
..Few studies have been conducted in the field in rural and urban areas of Turkey. The aim of this study was to determine the seroprevalence of HBV and HCV and to investigate the association with ..
- Awareness of breast cancer risk factors and practice of breast self examination among high school students in Turkey
Department of Surgical Diseases Nursing, Dokuz Eylul University School of Nursing, Izmir, Turkey
BMC Public Health 8:359. 2008
..The purpose of this study was to investigate knowledge and practice of breast self-examination and to determine knowledge of risk factors for breast cancer among high school students...
- A field-trial of two restorative materials used with atraumatic restorative treatment in rural Turkey: 24-month results
Department of Operative Dentistry, Kýrýkkale University Dental School, Kýrýkkale, Turkey
J Appl Oral Sci 17:307-14. 2009
..The purpose of this study was to investigate the clinical performance of high-strength glass ionomer cement (HSGIC) and resin-modified glass ionomer (RMGIC) in single and multiple surface carious cavities in the field conditions...
- Genetic diversity and major spoligotype families of drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis clinical isolates from different regions of Turkey
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Inonu University, Malatya, Turkey
Infect Genet Evol 7:513-9. 2007
..Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates, a total of 200 drug-resistant strains isolated in four different regions of Turkey (Marmara n=81; Mediterranean n=39; Aegean n=42; East Anatolia n=38), were typed by spoligotyping and IS6110-..
- Anti-ulcerogenic activity of some plants used as folk remedy in Turkey
Department of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Gazi University, Etiler, 6330 Ankara, Turkey
J Ethnopharmacol 88:93-7. 2003
Five herbal remedies used as gastroprotective crude drugs in Turkey were assessed for anti-ulcerogenic activity using the EtOH-induced ulcerogenesis model in rat. The crude drugs investigated comprises fruits of Elaeagnus angustifolia L...
- Efficacy of chloroquine in the treatment of Plasmodium vivax malaria in Turkey
M A Kurcer
Harran University, Faculty of Medicine, Public Health Department, Sanliurfa, Turkey
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 98:447-51. 2004
..In Sanliurfa province, in south-eastern Turkey, there therefore seems to be a high risk of therapeutic failure in patients given CQ to cure P...
- Depressive and anxiety disorders in different ethnic groups: a population based study among native Dutch, and Turkish, Moroccan and Surinamese migrants in Amsterdam
Matty A S de Wit
Municipal Health Service Amsterdam Epidemiology, Documentation and Health Promotion, PO Box 2200, 1000 CE, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 43:905-12. 2008
- The decreasing efficacy of chloroquine in the treatment of Plasmodium vivax malaria, in Sanliurfa, south-eastern Turkey
M A Kurcer
Harran University, Faculty of Medicine, Public Health Department, Sanliurfa, Turkey
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 100:109-13. 2006
..135). Although the relatively small samples meant that this difference was not statistically significant, it seems likely that the efficacy of chloroquine for the treatment of P. vivax in Sanliurfa province is decreasing quite rapidly...
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome-related disorders in a large adult population in Turkey
S Yavuz Sanisoglu
Department of Biostatistics, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey
BMC Public Health 6:92. 2006
There are few existing large population studies on the epidemiology of metabolic syndrome-related disorders of Turkey. The purpose of this study was to assess the prevalence of metabolic syndrome-related disorders in the Turkish adult ..
- High prevalence of diabetes in Adana, a southern province of Turkey
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Baskent University Faculty of Medicine, Adana, Turkey
Diabetes Care 26:3031-4. 2003
To determine the prevalence of diabetes and glucose intolerance and their relationship with risk factors in Adana, a southern province of Turkey, where risk factors are more prominent, probably because of social and economic reasons.
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in the Mediterranean region of Turkey: evaluation of hypertension, diabetes mellitus, obesity, and dyslipidemia
Department of Internal Medicine, Erciyes University Medical Faculty, Kayseri 38039, Turkey
Metab Syndr Relat Disord 7:427-34. 2009
Metabolic syndrome has become a public health challenge worldwide. The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of and risk factors for metabolic syndrome among adults in the Mediterranean region of Turkey.
- Respiratory disease caused by a species B2 adenovirus in a military camp in Turkey
Robert Koch Institut, Projektgruppe 11, HIV Variabilität und Molekulare Epidemiologie, Nordufer 20, Berlin, Germany
J Med Virol 77:232-7. 2005
..clinical signs of acute respiratory infection after returning from a military exercise in their home country of Turkey. They were admitted to a high security infectious disease unit as epidemiological data pointed to an outbreak of ..
- Widal test in diagnosis of typhoid fever in Turkey
Kocaeli Universitesi Tip Fakultesi Klinik Bakteriyoloji ve Infeksiyon Hastaliklari AD, Izmit, Turkey
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 9:938-41. 2002
..The results must be interpreted cautiously because of the low sensitivity of the test. The Widal test done on convalescent-phase serum gave more-reliable results with higher specificity and sensitivity...
- The epidemiology of Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever in Turkey, 2002-2007
Gul Ruhsar Yilmaz
Ministry of Health, General Directorate of Primary Health Care, Mithatpasa Cad 3, 06434 Sihhiye, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Infect Dis 13:380-6. 2009
..It has been present in Turkey since 2002...
- One-year follow-up study of posttraumatic stress disorder among earthquake survivors in Turkey
Department of Psychiatry, Harran University Faculty of Medicine, 63100 Sanliurfa, Turkey
Compr Psychiatry 46:328-33. 2005
..In 1998, a major earthquake struck Southern Turkey. The aims of this study were to describe longitudinally the severity and the course of posttraumatic stress ..
- Tuberculous meningitis in adults in Turkey: epidemiology, diagnosis, clinic and laboratory [corrected]
Department of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Dicle University Hospital, Diyarbakir, Turkey
Eur J Epidemiol 18:337-43. 2003
..The medical records of adult cases with TBM treated at 12 university hospitals throughout Turkey, between 1985 and 1998 were reviewed using a standardized protocol...
- The contamination with organochlorine pesticides and heavy metals in surface water in Küçük Menderes River in Turkey, 2000-2002
Adnan Menderes University, 09100 Aydin, Turkey
Environ Int 29:29-32. 2003
..the residues of organochlorine pesticides (OCP) and metals in surface water of Küçük Menderes River in Turkey. The results showed that Küçük Menderes River was still polluted with organochlorine pesticide despite the ..
- Job satisfaction of health care staff employed at health centres in Turkey
Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
Occup Med (Lond) 52:353-5. 2002
..A survey was therefore carried out of health care workers in 21 health centres in Konya, Turkey. The Minnesota Satisfaction Questionnaire was used to investigate job satisfaction...
- Perinatal outcome in Berlin (Germany) among immigrants from Turkey
Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Klinik fur Frauenheilkunde und Geburtshilfe, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Arch Gynecol Obstet 274:271-8. 2006
..Are there differences regarding important perinatal outcome-parameters in Berlin relating to ethnicity?..
- Traditional medicine in Turkey X. Folk medicine in Central Anatolia
Gazi University, Faculty of Pharmacy, Hipodrom 06330, Ankara, Turkey
J Ethnopharmacol 75:95-115. 2001
..Two hundred and ninety one folk remedies obtained from 103 plant species belonging to 40 families and 4 animal species are reported with their vernacular names, parts used, methods of preparing remedies and therapeutic usage...
- Smoking in immigrants: do socioeconomic gradients follow the pattern expected from the tobacco epidemic?
Department of Social Medicine, K2 206, Academic Medical Center University of Amsterdam, PO Box 22700, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Tob Control 15:385-91. 2006
..This paper aims to assess the smoking prevalence and its socioeconomic gradients among three immigrant populations...
- Beliefs of Turkish and Moroccan immigrants in The Netherlands about smoking cessation: implications for prevention
Department of Social Medicine, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Health Educ Res 20:622-34. 2005
..When developing smoking cessation interventions, the results show that it is important to include ethnic-specific salient beliefs, such as the subjective norms of the religious leader...
- Prevalence of hepatitis B infection in the southeastern region of Turkey: comparison of risk factors for HBV infection in rural and urban areas
Department of Gastroenterology, Medical School of Dicle University, 21280 Diyarbakir, Turkey
Jpn J Infect Dis 58:15-9. 2005
..there are currently no data on the differences in hepatitis B seroprevalence between urban and rural areas of Turkey. In the present study, therefore, we used 30-cluster sampling to determine and compare the prevalence of hepatitis ..
- Intestinal parasites prevalence and related factors in school children, a western city sample--Turkey
Department of Public Health, Adnan Menderes University Medical Faculty, Aydin, Turkey
BMC Public Health 4:64. 2004
..Previous studies in Turkey revealed a high prevalence of intestinal parasitic infection...
- Spread of OXA-48-encoding plasmid in Turkey and beyond
Service de Bacteriologie Virologie, INSERM U914 Emerging Resistance to Antibiotics, Hopital de Bicetre, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Faculte de Medecine Paris Sud, K Bicêtre, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:1369-73. 2010
Eighteen carbapenem-resistant, OXA-48-positive enterobacterial isolates recovered from Turkey, Lebanon, Egypt, France, and Belgium were analyzed...
- Multistate outbreak of Listeriosis linked to turkey deli meat and subsequent changes in US regulatory policy
Sami L Gottlieb
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 42:29-36. 2006
..Between July and October 2002, an uncommon strain of L. monocytogenes caused an outbreak of listeriosis in 9 states...
- Parasite density and serum cytokine levels in Plasmodium vivax malaria in Turkey
F Yildiz Zeyrek
Harran University Medical Faculty, Microbiology, Sanliurfa, Turkey
Parasite Immunol 28:201-7. 2006
..between quantitative Plasmodium vivax parasitaemia and serum cytokine levels in a highly endemic region of Turkey, where such a relation has not been investigated before...
- Screening chemical composition and in vitro antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of the essential oils from Origanum syriacum L. growing in Turkey
Mehmet Hakki Alma
Department of Industrial Engineering of Forestry, Faculty of Forestry, University of Kahramanmaras Sutcu Imam, Turkey
Biol Pharm Bull 26:1725-9. 2003
..Lauraceae)] grown in Turkish state forests of the Dortyol district, Turkey, was obtained by steam distillation...
- Prevalence of Coxiella burnetii antibodies in blood donors in Ankara, Central Anatolia, Turkey
Refik Saydam National Hygiene Center, Department of Communicable Diseases, Bacterial Zoonoses Research Laboratory, Cemal Gursel Str 18, 06100, Ankara, Turkey
New Microbiol 31:527-34. 2008
..bumetii infection in Ankara, Turkey. A total of 601 serum samples were collected from blood donors aged 18-61 years...
- The smoking prevalence and the determinants of smoking behaviour among students in Cukurova University, Southern Turkey
Department of Family Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Cukurova University, Balcali, 01330 Adana, Turkey
West Indian Med J 55:414-9. 2006
To determine the smoking prevalence and its determinants in students at Cukurova University, Southern Turkey.
- Seroepidemiological survey for Toxocara canis infection in the northwestern part of Turkey
Osmangazi Universitesi Tip Fakultesi, Cocuk Sagligi ve Hastaliklari Anabilim Dali, Izmir, Turkey
Turkiye Parazitol Derg 31:288-91. 2007
..of sero-epidemiological survey of Toxocara canis infection in urban and rural areas of northwestern part of Turkey. Toxocara seroprevalance was detected among randomly selected 430 children in the rural areas and 141 children in ..
- Plasmid profiles and randomly amplified polymorphic DNA analysis of Salmonella enterica serotype Enteritidis strains from outbreaks and sporadic cases in Turkey
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Ankara University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
New Microbiol 29:251-60. 2006
..the characteristics of Salmonella serotype Enteritidis strains isolated from outbreaks and sporadic cases in Turkey by plasmid profiles and randomly amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) patterns. A total of 64 S...
- A controlled-study of preventive effects of peer education and single-session lectures on HIV/AIDS knowledge and attitudes among university students in Turkey
Department of Educational Sciences, Program of Counseling and Guidance, Faculty of Education, Hacettepe University, 06530, Beytepe, Ankara, Turkey
AIDS Educ Prev 17:268-78. 2005
..n = 157 male, n = 230 female; mean age = 20) on the campuses of two metropolitan state universities in Ankara, Turkey. The students were randomly selected to participate in peer education (n = 204), single-session lecture (n = 74) ..
- Occupational fatalities among coal mine workers in Zonguldak, Turkey, 1994-2003
Forensic Medicine Department, Afyon Kocatepe University School of Medicine, Afyonkarahisar, Turkey
Occup Med (Lond) 56:144-6. 2006
Fatal underground coal mine injuries are a worldwide problem. Zonguldak holds 95% of all Turkey's coal reserves.
- Increased antimicrobial consumption following reimbursement reform in Turkey
Department of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Abant Izzet Baysal University Hospital, Bolu, Turkey
J Antimicrob Chemother 61:1169-71. 2008
This study examined antibiotic utilization patterns in Turkey between 2001 and 2006.
- Characteristics of patients with adult-onset familial Mediterranean fever in Turkey: analysis of 401 cases
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Istanbul Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Clin Pract 59:202-5. 2005
..Prospective clinical studies and investigation of genotypic features are needed to identify the characteristics of this phenotypic variant...
- Optimization of extracellular endoxylanase, endoglucanase and peroxidase production by Streptomyces sp. F2621 isolated in Turkey
Biyoloji Bolumu, Fen Edebiyat Fakultesi, Mersin Universitesi, Ciftlikkoy, Mersin, Turkey
J Appl Microbiol 97:783-91. 2004
..To determine the effect of environmental conditions on the production of extracellular lignocellulose-degrading enzymes by Streptomyces sp. F2621 and to assess the potential use of these enzymes in the hydrolysis of lignocellulose material...
- eNOS gene intron 4 a/b VNTR polymorphism is a risk factor for coronary artery disease in Southern Turkey
Cukurova University, School of Medicine, Department of Biochemistry, 01330, Balcali, Adana, Turkey
Clin Chim Acta 354:153-8. 2005
..study was to investigate the role of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) gene intron 4 a/b variable number of tandem repeats (VNTR) polymorphism and other risk factors in the development of CAD in subjects living in Southern Turkey.
- Affective temperaments in clinically-well subjects in Turkey: initial psychometric data on the TEMPS-A
Affective Disorder Unit, Department of Psychiatry, Psikiyatri Anabilim Dali, Tip Fakultesi, Ege University, Bornova 35100, Izmir, Turkey
J Affect Disord 85:113-25. 2005
..The questionnaire is a self-report 110-item measure that postulates five affective temperaments-the depressive, cyclothymic, irritable, hyperthymic, and anxious-which embody both strengths and liabilities along affective lines...
- Genetic subtypes of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) in Istanbul, Turkey
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Cerrahpasa Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul 34303, Turkey
Int J Infect Dis 10:286-90. 2006
..Epidemiological surveillance of HIV-1 subtypes is an important and ongoing element of preparation for global antiviral interventions...
- The evaluation of nosocomial infection during 1-year-period in the burn unit of a training hospital in Istanbul, Turkey
Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, HaydarpasaTraining Hospital, 81327 Uskudar, Istanbul, Turkey
Burns 28:738-44. 2002
..5%) patients with NI died (P<0.01). These findings emphasized the need for careful disinfection and conscientious contact control procedures in areas that serve immunosupressed individuals, such as burned patients...
- Prevalence and correlates of erectile dysfunction in Turkey: a population-based study
Department of Urology, Cerrahpasa School of Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul, 34303, Turkey
Eur Urol 41:298-304. 2002
..However, data do not exist for Turkish men. This study was conducted to determine the prevalence and sociodemographic, medical, and lifestyle correlates of ED in Turkey.
- Radiation exposure to premature infants in a neonatal intensive care unit in Turkey
Ankara University, Institute of Nuclear Science, Tandogan, Ankara, Turkey
Korean J Radiol 9:416-9. 2008
..The aim of this work was to determine the radiation dose received by infants from radiographic exposure and the contribution from scatter radiation due to radiographic exposure of other infants in the same room...
- Catastrophic health expenditure and impoverishment in Turkey
Mahmut Saadi Yardim
Hacettepe University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Public Health, Sihhiye, Ankara, Turkey
Health Policy 94:26-33. 2010
This study aims to identify the level of catastrophic health expenditure (CHE) in Turkey and, to reveal household factors predicting this outcome.
- Human anthrax in Turkey from 1990 to 2007
Department of Infectious Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 9:131-40. 2009
Anthrax is an endemic disease in Turkey, among other countries of the world. The potential of Bacillus anthracis as a bioterrorism agent makes anthrax an important global issue...
- Cytogenetic abnormalities in 179 cases with male infertility in Western Region of Turkey: report and review
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Medical Genetics, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
J Assist Reprod Genet 26:119-22. 2009
..In this study we aimed to evaluate the postnatally screened karyotype results in couples who were referred because of primary infertility between 2000 and 2006 in Izmir...
- Report on the buccal micronucleus assay workshop organized by the International Human Micronucleus (HUMN) project--Antalya, Turkey 2007
Mutagenesis 24:199-201. 2009
..A follow-up workshop is planned at the 10th International Conference on Environmental Mutagens in Florence in 2009...
- Water usage habits and the incidence of diarrhea in rural Ankara, Turkey
Gazi University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Public Health, Ankara, Turkey
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 101:1131-5. 2007
..determine water usage behavior and incidence of diarrhea during the summer months among people in rural areas of Turkey. Information was collected using a questionnaire during face-to-face interviews with people aged 18 years and over ..
- PCR-based subtyping of Blastocystis isolates from symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals in a major hospital in Ankara, Turkey
Department of Medical Microbiology, Gazi University Faculty of Medicine, Besevler, Ankara, Turkey
Parasitol Res 106:263-8. 2009
..and 109 asymptomatic individuals, who checked in due to other reasons, admitted at a major hospital in Ankara, Turkey were examined with native Lugol's iodine, trichrome, and Kinyoun's acid-fast stainings for parasitology ..
- Prevalence of rubella and cytomegalovirus antibodies among pregnant women in northern Turkey
Microbiology Laboratory, Samsun Maternity and Women s Disease and Pediatrics Hospital, Samsun, Turkey
New Microbiol 31:451-5. 2008
..Rubella and CMV screening of pregnant women is not routinely carried out in Turkey. The purpose of this study was to determine the prevalence of rubella and cytomegalovirus among pregnant women...
- A province-based study using sampling method to investigate the prevalence of cystic echinococcosis among primary school children in Manisa, Turkey
Ulgen Z Ok
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Celal Bayar University, Manisa, Turkey
Acta Trop 103:116-22. 2007
..sampling method to investigate the prevalence of cystic echinococcosis (CE) in primary school children in Manisa, Turkey. A total of 6093 children from 37 primary schools was selected as the representative sample of the total number of ..
- Serodiagnosis of anthroponotic cutaneous leishmaniasis (ACL) caused by Leishmania tropica in Sanliurfa Province, Turkey, where ACL Is highly endemic
Fadile Yildiz Zeyrek
Ege University, Medical School, Department of Parasitology, Izmir, Turkey
Clin Vaccine Immunol 14:1409-15. 2007
..By using serological tests, a measurable antibody response was detected in most of the CL patients in Sanliurfa, Turkey. It is also noted that this response can be changed according to the sizes, types, and numbers of lesions that the ..
- Mobbing in the workplace by peers and managers: mobbing experienced by nurses working in healthcare facilities in Turkey and its effect on nurses
Nursing Administration Department, Florence Nightingale School of Nursing, Istanbul University, Sisli Istanbul, Turkey
J Clin Nurs 16:1444-53. 2007
..study with the purpose of determining the mobbing experienced by nurses who work in healthcare facilities in Turkey, its emotional, social and physiological effects on the nurses and the actions that the individuals take to escape ..
- CTX-M-3 extended-spectrum beta-lactamase in a Shigella sonnei clinical isolate: first report from Turkey
Ziya Cibali Acikgoz
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Fatih University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Scand J Infect Dis 35:503-5. 2003
..This is the first report from Turkey of Shigella spp. producing an ESBL, and of CTX-M type enzyme.
- Investigation of Panton-Valentine leukocidin genes and SCCmec types in clinical Staphylococcus aureus isolates from Turkey
Zeynep Ceren Karahan
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara University, Ankara, Turkey
Microb Drug Resist 14:203-10. 2008
..aureus (MRSA) strains obtained from inpatients and outpatients of two hospitals in Turkey. Of the 304 S...
- Levels of heavy metals (Fe, Cu, Ni, Cr, Pb, and Zn) in tissue of Mugil cephalus and Trachurus mediterraneus from Iskenderun Bay, Turkey
Ayse Bahar Yilmaz
Faculty of Fisheries, Mustafa Kemal University, 31040, Hatay, Antakya, Turkey
Environ Res 92:277-81. 2003
..muscle, skin and gonads of Mugil cephalus and Trachurus mediterraneus caught at three stations in Iskenderun Bay, Turkey. Heavy metal concentrations in the tissues tended to vary significantly among stations, and two stations thought ..
- DNA copy number changes in gastric adenocarcinomas: high resolution-comparative genomic hybridization study in Turkey
Department of Medical Biology, Ankara University, Sihhiye, Turkey
Arch Med Res 40:551-60. 2009
..The aim of this study was to identify the genomic imbalances of gains and/or losses in gastric adenocarcinomas from Turkish patients and to investigate their association with development and progression of this type of cancer...
- Isolation and identification of Mycobacteria from raw milk samples in Afyonkarahisar district of Turkey
Afyon Kocatepe University, Faculty of Science and Literature, Biology Department, 03200 Afyonkarahisar, Turkey
Int J Food Microbiol 115:343-7. 2007
..PRA patterns' were found to be similar to those which obtained University Faculty of Medical by BACTEC. The results showed that raw milk is to be possible sources for human infection. That is why UHF sterilized milk should be consumed...
- Iodine deficiency and goiter prevalence in Turkey after mandatory iodization
Department of Pediatrics, University of Suleyman Demirel, Isparta, Turkey
J Endocrinol Invest 29:714-8. 2006
The determination of (a) iodine deficiency, and (b) the relation between the iodized salt consumption in the Isparta province of Turkey.
- Prospective analysis of nosocomial infections in a burn care unit, Turkey
Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Haydarpasa Training Hospital, Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Kars, 34668 Uskudar Istanbul, Turkiye
Indian J Med Res 130:758-64. 2009
..of burned patients, admitted and treated between January 2004 and December 2005 in a nine-bed burn unit in Turkey, was performed prospectively to identify the common pathogens and incidence of nosocomial infection in these ..
- Thalassaemia screening in a non-prevalent region of a prevalent country (Turkey): is it necessary?
Department of Medical Education, Ataturk University School of Medicine, 25240 Erzurum, Turkey
Public Health 122:620-4. 2008
Haemoglobinopathies are the most widespread inherited disorders in the world, and are also common in Turkey. Haemoglobinopathies are preventable with control programmes...
- Comparison of the tuberculin skin test and the quantiferon test for latent Mycobacterium tuberculosis infections in health care workers in Turkey
Department of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Duzce University Medical School, Duzce, Turkey
Jpn J Infect Dis 60:102-5. 2007
..However, large-scale trials including quantitative measurement of QFT in subgroups taking into account the division where HCWs are employed and the different results of TST might clarify the usefulness of QFT in LTBI diagnosis...
- Quality of life for obese women and men in Turkey
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, 5th Floor, Ege University Hospital, Bornova, Izmir, 35100 Turkey
Prev Chronic Dis 4:A50. 2007
..Obesity is a complex, multifaceted disease that is widespread and growing in the developing world. People who are obese experience health-related quality-of-life impairments...
- Frequency of norovirus in stool samples from hospitalized children due to acute gastroenteritis in Anatolia, Turkey, 2006-2007
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, Afyon Kocatepe University, Afyonkarahisar, Turkey
Scand J Infect Dis 41:685-8. 2009
..In this pilot study, the frequency of norovirus infection in children in mid-western Turkey was investigated from November 2006 to June 2007...
- Diversity of human rotavirus G9 among children in Turkey
Department of Medical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey
J Med Virol 80:733-40. 2008
..understand the epidemiology of rotavirus infection among children with diarrhea attending two hospitals in Ankara, Turkey. Rotavirus was detected in 39...
- The molecular pathology of beta-thalassemia in Turkey: the Boğaziçi university experience
A Nazi Basak
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Neurodegeneration Research Laboratory, Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey
Hemoglobin 31:233-41. 2007
..beta-Thal is a major public health concern in Turkey; throughout the country the gene frequency is estimated to be 2...
- Prevalence and antimicrobial susceptibility of Escherichia coli in outpatient urinary isolates in Izmir, Turkey
Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Tepecik Educational and Research Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
Med Sci Monit 15:PI61-5. 2009
..The aim of this study was to determine the antibiotic susceptibility patterns of E. coli strains isolated from adult outpatients with UTI, in Izmir, Turkey.
- The complete genome analysis of Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever virus isolated in Turkey
Department of Virology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Firat University, Elazig, Turkey
Virus Res 147:288-93. 2010
..It was first recognized in Turkey in 2002, with an increasing number of cases reported between 2002 and 2009...
- Aggression and violence towards health care providers--a problem in Turkey?
Abant Izzet Baysal University, Izzet Baysal Faculty of Medicine, Department of General Surgery, Bolu, Turkey
J Forensic Leg Med 14:423-8. 2007
..The results of this study mirrored those of similar surveys in Turkey. Non-reporting was revealed as a major problem...
- Identification of Candida species isolated from bovine mastitic milk and their in vitro hemolytic activity in Western Turkey
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Afyon Kocatepe University, Ahmet Necdet Sezer Campus, 03200, Afyonkarahisar, Turkey
Mycopathologia 169:303-8. 2010
..zeylanoides, C. albicans and C. kefyr were higher than other strains. This is the first study to describe variable hemolysis types exhibited by different Candida strains isolated from bovine mastitic milk in Turkey.
- Determination of lead, cadmium and copper in roadside soil and plants in Elazig, Turkey
Sciences Faculty, Chemistry Department, Middle East Technical University, Ankara 06531, Turkey
Environ Monit Assess 136:401-10. 2008
The concentrations of lead, cadmium and copper in roadside soil and plants in Elazig, Turkey were investigated. Soil samples were collected at distances of 0, 25 and 50 m from the roadside...
- Medical waste management in Turkey: A case study of Istanbul
Mehmet Emin Birpinar
Ministry of Environment and Forestry, Environment and Forestry Directorate of Istanbul City, Sirkeci, 34112 Eminönü, Istanbul, Turkey
Waste Manag 29:445-8. 2009
..waste management in the light of the Medical Waste Control Regulation (MWCR) in Istanbul, the largest city in Turkey. About 17% of the hospitals, 20% of bed capacity, and 54% of private hospitals in Turkey are located in Istanbul...
- Celiac disease in 87 children with typical and atypical symptoms in Black Sea region of Turkey
Unit of Pediatric Gastroenterology Hepatology and Nutrition, Faculty of Medicine, Ondokuz Mayis University, Samsun, Turkey
World J Pediatr 5:282-6. 2009
..This study aimed to determine typical and atypical cases according to presenting symptoms and to evaluate their biochemical and pathological parameters...
- Nocturnal enuresis in Turkey: prevalence and accompanying factors in different socioeconomic environments
Kursat B Carman
Department of Pediatrics, Haydarpasa Numune Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Urol Int 80:362-6. 2008
..To study the prevalence of nocturnal enuresis and the impact of associated familial factors in Turkish children with a different socioeconomic status...
- Antibiotic resistance patterns of coagulase-negative staphylococcus strains isolated from blood cultures of septicemic patients in Turkey
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Istanbul University Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, 34098 Cerrahpasa, Istanbul, Turkey
Microbiol Res 164:404-10. 2009
..Additionally, most S. epidermidis strains were slime-positive, with statistically significant (p<0.001) association between methicillin resistance and slime production...
- Prevalence and genotypes of Helicobacter pylori in gastric biopsy specimens from patients with gastroduodenal pathologies in the Cukurova Region of Turkey
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Cukurova, Adana, Turkey
J Clin Microbiol 47:4150-3. 2009
The effects of Helicobacter pylori genotypes on clinical prognosis in the Cukurova region of Turkey were investigated by PCR...