- The epidemiology of Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever in Turkey, 2002-2007
Gul Ruhsar Yilmaz
Ministry of Health, General Directorate of Primary Health Care, Mithatpasa Cad 3, 06434 Sihhiye, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Infect Dis 13:380-6. 2009
..It has been present in Turkey since 2002...
- Prevalence of type 2 diabetes mellitus, other cardiovascular risk factors, and cardiovascular disease in Turkish and Moroccan immigrants in North West Europe: a systematic review
P J M Uitewaal
Department of Health Policy and Management, Erasmus Medical Centre Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Prev Med 39:1068-76. 2004
- Familial aggregation of Behçet's disease in Turkey
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Istanbul School of Medicine, University of Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
Ann Rheum Dis 59:622-5. 2000
..The current study aimed at investigating the sibling recurrence risk ratio (lambda s) for Behçet's disease, which is of value in the estimation of the magnitude of genetic factors in the pathogenesis of Behçet's disease...
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in schoolchildren and adolescents in Turkey: a population-based study
Filiz Mine Cizmecioglu
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Pediatrics, Kocaeli University, Faculty of Medicine, Kocaeli, Turkey
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 22:703-14. 2009
..To determine prevalence of the metabolic syndrome (MS) in the pediatric population...
- Prevalence of Behçet's disease in Istanbul, Turkey
Department of Dermatology, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Dermatol 42:803-6. 2003
..much higher in countries along the ancient Silk Route, extending from Japan to Mediterranean countries including Turkey, than in northern Europe and the USA...
- Spread of OXA-48-encoding plasmid in Turkey and beyond
Service de Bacteriologie Virologie, INSERM U914 Emerging Resistance to Antibiotics, Hopital de Bicetre, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Faculte de Medecine Paris Sud, K Bicêtre, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:1369-73. 2010
Eighteen carbapenem-resistant, OXA-48-positive enterobacterial isolates recovered from Turkey, Lebanon, Egypt, France, and Belgium were analyzed...
- Genetic diversity and major spoligotype families of drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis clinical isolates from different regions of Turkey
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Inonu University, Malatya, Turkey
Infect Genet Evol 7:513-9. 2007
..Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates, a total of 200 drug-resistant strains isolated in four different regions of Turkey (Marmara n=81; Mediterranean n=39; Aegean n=42; East Anatolia n=38), were typed by spoligotyping and IS6110-..
- The socio-economic determinants of maternal health care utilization in Turkey
School of Health Administration, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Soc Sci Med 50:1797-806. 2000
..individual-, household- and community-level factors that affect women's use of maternal health care services in Turkey. The data used for the study come from the 1993 Turkey Demographic and Health Survey (TDHS), a nationally ..
- Smoking in immigrants: do socioeconomic gradients follow the pattern expected from the tobacco epidemic?
Department of Social Medicine, K2 206, Academic Medical Center University of Amsterdam, PO Box 22700, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Tob Control 15:385-91. 2006
..This paper aims to assess the smoking prevalence and its socioeconomic gradients among three immigrant populations...
- Traditional medicine in Turkey X. Folk medicine in Central Anatolia
Gazi University, Faculty of Pharmacy, Hipodrom 06330, Ankara, Turkey
J Ethnopharmacol 75:95-115. 2001
..Two hundred and ninety one folk remedies obtained from 103 plant species belonging to 40 families and 4 animal species are reported with their vernacular names, parts used, methods of preparing remedies and therapeutic usage...
- Perinatal outcome in Berlin (Germany) among immigrants from Turkey
Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Klinik fur Frauenheilkunde und Geburtshilfe, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Arch Gynecol Obstet 274:271-8. 2006
..Are there differences regarding important perinatal outcome-parameters in Berlin relating to ethnicity?..
- Beliefs of Turkish and Moroccan immigrants in The Netherlands about smoking cessation: implications for prevention
Department of Social Medicine, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Health Educ Res 20:622-34. 2005
..When developing smoking cessation interventions, the results show that it is important to include ethnic-specific salient beliefs, such as the subjective norms of the religious leader...
- Screening chemical composition and in vitro antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of the essential oils from Origanum syriacum L. growing in Turkey
Mehmet Hakki Alma
Department of Industrial Engineering of Forestry, Faculty of Forestry, University of Kahramanmaras Sutcu Imam, Turkey
Biol Pharm Bull 26:1725-9. 2003
..Lauraceae)] grown in Turkish state forests of the Dortyol district, Turkey, was obtained by steam distillation...
- Alopecia areata in Turkey: demographic and clinical features
Department of Dermatology, Duzce Medical School, Duzce University, Duzce, Turkey
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 22:977-81. 2008
..Alopecia areata is a complex genetic disease with still many unknown aspects, and many studies have been tried to find some clues about it...
- Class 1 and class 2 integrons and plasmid-mediated antibiotic resistance in coliforms isolated from ten rivers in northern Turkey
Osman Birol Ozgumus
Microbiology and Molecular Biology Research Laboratory, Department of Biology, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Rize University, 53100 Rize, Turkey
J Microbiol 47:19-27. 2009
..the molecular mechanisms of antibiotic resistance in coliforms isolated from ten rivers in northern region of Turkey. A total of 183 isolates were tested for antimicrobial susceptibility by disk diffusion and agar dilution methods...
- Vitamin D status among immigrant mothers from Pakistan, Turkey and Somalia and their infants attending child health clinics in Norway
Ahmed A Madar
Institute of General Practice and Community Medicine, University of Oslo, PO Box 1130, Blindern, N 0318 Oslo, Norway
Br J Nutr 101:1052-8. 2009
..In conclusion, there is widespread vitamin D deficiency in immigrant mothers and their infants living in Norway. Exclusively breast-fed infants who did not receive vitamin D supplements had particularly severe vitamin D deficiency...
- Antimicrobial activities of the essential oils of Origanum onites L., Origanum vulgare L. subspecies hirtum (Link) Ietswaart, Satureja thymbra L., and Thymus cilicicus Boiss. & Bal. growing wild in Turkey
Medical Laboratory Program, Vocationary School of Health Care, Mugla University, Mugla, Turkey
J Med Food 11:568-73. 2008
..hirtum (Link) Ietswaart, and Thymus cilicicus Boiss. & Bal. were collected from various regions of Mugla, Turkey. The essential oils of these plants were obtained by the hydrodistillation method...
- The prevalence of headache and its association with socioeconomic status among schoolchildren in istanbul, Turkey
Division of Pediatric Neurology, School of Medicine, Acibadem University, Istanbul, Turkey
Headache 49:697-703. 2009
..An interaction of organic, psychological, and psychosocial factors is operative. In this study, we aimed to determine the prevalence of headache and its association with socioeconomic status among schoolchildren...
- Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever virus in high-risk population, Turkey
Vocational School of Health Services, Cumhuriyet University, Sivas, Turkey
Emerg Infect Dis 15:461-4. 2009
In the Tokat and Sivas provinces of Turkey, the overall Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever virus (CCHFV) seroprevalence was 12.8% among 782 members of a high-risk population...
- Prevalence of COPD: first epidemiological study of a large region in Turkey
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Turgut Ozal Research Center, Inonu University, Malatya, Turkey
Eur J Intern Med 19:499-504. 2008
..This study was designed to obtain some baseline data on COPD in the Malatya region of Turkey.
- Assessment of trace element contents of chicken products from Turkey
Ozgur Dogan Uluozlu
Gaziosmanpasa University, Faculty of Science and Arts, Department of Chemistry, 60250 Tokat, Turkey
J Hazard Mater 163:982-7. 2009
Due to the consumption of chicken and chicken products in Turkey at high ratio, trace metal content of chicken and chicken products from Turkey were determined by atomic absorption spectrometry after microwave digestion...
- Is Toxoplasma gondii a potential risk for traffic accidents in Turkey?
Celal Bayar University, School of Medicine, Department of Parasitology, P K 76 45000, Manisa, Turkey
Forensic Sci Int 163:34-7. 2006
In Turkey, traffic accidents are the major causes of mortality and morbidity. According to the statistics made by Turkish Security Headquarters in the year 2000, 7500 people are killed in the traffic accidents every year...
- Unintentional non-fatal home-related injuries in Central Anatolia, Turkey: frequencies, characteristics, and outcomes
Gulagac Health Center, Provincial Health Directorate, Aksaray 68000, Turkey
Injury 39:535-46. 2008
..Preventive measures should be prioritised to risk groups such as individuals with low incomes and those living alone...
- The neuropsychiatric inventory scores change across the mini mental state examination ranges in patients with Alzheimer's disease: a multicenter study in Turkey
Gorsev G Yener
Department of Neurology and Neurosciences, Brain Dynamics Multidisciplinary Research and Application Center, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir Turkey
Cogn Behav Neurol 22:264-9. 2009
..To investigate neuropsychiatric manifestations in patients at various stages of Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- Prevalence and risk factors of overweight and obesity among urban school children in Elazig city, Eastern Turkey, 2007
Department of Family Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Firat, Elazig, Turkey
Ann Hum Biol 37:44-56. 2010
..Very little data are currently available on the prevalence of childhood obesity in Turkey, and more research on the risk factors is required before preventive public health programmes can be put into ..
- Clinical features of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo in Western Turkey
Department of Neurology, Ege University Medical School, Bornova, Turkey
Eur Neurol 59:315-9. 2008
..It was the aim of this study to analyze the clinical manifestations, the incidence of each variant and the comorbid conditions of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) as well as the response to treatment...
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome-related disorders in a large adult population in Turkey
S Yavuz Sanisoglu
Department of Biostatistics, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey
BMC Public Health 6:92. 2006
There are few existing large population studies on the epidemiology of metabolic syndrome-related disorders of Turkey. The purpose of this study was to assess the prevalence of metabolic syndrome-related disorders in the Turkish adult ..
- Alcohol use prevalence and sociodemographic correlates of alcohol use in a university student sample in Turkey
Inci Ozgur Ilhan
Alcohol and Substance Abuse Treatment Unit, Ankara University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 43:575-83. 2008
This study is a survey to determine prevalence and sociodemographic correlates of drinking problems among students from five university centres in Turkey.
- Carbapenem-resistant Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae isolates from Turkey with OXA-48-like carbapenemases and outer membrane protein loss
Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, 06100 Sihhiye, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Antimicrob Agents 31:523-6. 2008
..following imipenem therapy from two hospital patients who had received imipenem therapy in different regions of Turkey. Both isolates produced OXA-48-like carbapenemases, enzymes so far reported only from Turkey...
- Prevalence, incidence, predictors and outcome of type 2 diabetes in Turkey
Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Anadolu Kardiyol Derg 6:314-21. 2006
..To investigate prospectively the incidence, certain predictors and outcomes of type 2 diabetes (DM), as well as to determine its prevalence cross-sectionally, in a representative sample of Turkish men and women...
- Complementary-alternative medicine among cancer patients in the western region of Turkey
Ataturk Training and Research Hospital, Department of Medical Oncology, and Dokuz Eylul University, Institute of Oncology, Izmir, Turkey
J BUON 14:265-9. 2009
To investigate the complementary/alternative medicine (CAM) applications and factors affecting its use among cancer patients in the western region of Turkey.
- Seropositivity for delta hepatitis in patients with chronic hepatitis B and liver cirrhosis in Turkey: a meta-analysis
Department of Gastroenterology, Ufuk University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Liver Int 28:494-8. 2008
..Recent reports suggest a decline of delta hepatitis (DH) in the West as well as in the Far East...
- Complementary and alternative medicine used by pediatric patients with cancer in western Turkey
Rabia E Genc
Izmir Ataturk School of Health, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
Oncol Nurs Forum 36:E159-64. 2009
..To determine the extent of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) use, the types of therapies employed, and the reasons for choosing those therapies...
- A survey on patient safety culture in primary healthcare services in Turkey
Department of Public Health, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
Int J Qual Health Care 21:348-55. 2009
..To evaluate the patient safety culture in primary healthcare units...
- Distribution of hepatitis C virus genotypes in patients with chronic hepatitis C infection in Western Turkey
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Ege University Medical Faculty, Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
Int J Infect Dis 12:239-44. 2008
..distribution of various genotypes of hepatitis C virus (HCV) in patients with chronic HCV infection in Western Turkey. Additional objectives were to determine whether there are any associations of genotype with gender and age, and ..
- An analysis of carbon monoxide poisoning cases in Bursa, Turkey
Department of Emergency Medicine, Uludag University Medical School, Bursa, Turkey
East Mediterr Health J 16:101-6. 2010
Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning from coal and gas heaters is a public health concern in Turkey. This study estimated the prevalence, mortality rate and clinical predictors of severity of CO poisoning cases treated at the emergency unit of ..
- Prevalence of psychiatric disorders three years after the 1999 earthquake in Turkey: Marmara Earthquake Survey (MES)
Department of Psychiatry, Medical Faculty of Kocaeli University, Kocaeli, Turkey
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 41:868-74. 2006
- Low eradication rate of Helicobacter pylori with triple 7-14 days and quadriple therapy in Turkey
Baskent Universitesi Tip Fakultesi, Adana Uygulama ve Arastirma Merkezi, Dadaloglu Mahallesi, 39 Sokak, No 6, 01250 Adana, Turkey
World J Gastroenterol 10:668-71. 2004
..We aimed to study the eradication rates of different regimens in our region and some factors affecting the rate of eradication...
- Studies on the epidemiology of tropical theileriosis (Theileria annulata infection) in cattle in Central Anatolia, Turkey
Department of Protozoology and Medical Entomology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Ankara, 06110 Ankara, Turkey
Trop Anim Health Prod 35:521-39. 2003
..survey for Theileria annulata infection was conducted in 12 selected villages around Ankara in Central Anatolia, Turkey, during the period April 1990 to January 1993...
- The use of complementary and alternative (non-conventional) medicine in cancer patients in Turkey
Lale A Algier
Department of Nursing, Health Sciences Faculty, Baskent University, Baglica Campus, Ankara 06530, Turkey
Eur J Oncol Nurs 9:138-46. 2005
..methods of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) used by cancer patients and their characteristics in Turkey. The sample consisted of 100 cancer patients who were monitored in the oncology outpatient and inpatient ..
- Antimicrobial resistance among Gram-negative bacteria isolated from intensive care units in a Cardiology Institute in Istanbul, Turkey
Laboratory of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Institute of Cardiology, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Jpn J Infect Dis 58:228-31. 2005
..e., 27.7 and 57.5%, respectively. High rates of resistance to all antibiotics studied were observed. The most active agent against the majority of the isolates was imipenem (79.2%), followed by levofloxacin (77%) and ciprofloxacin (71%)...
- Prevalence of hepatitis B infection in the southeastern region of Turkey: comparison of risk factors for HBV infection in rural and urban areas
Department of Gastroenterology, Medical School of Dicle University, 21280 Diyarbakir, Turkey
Jpn J Infect Dis 58:15-9. 2005
..there are currently no data on the differences in hepatitis B seroprevalence between urban and rural areas of Turkey. In the present study, therefore, we used 30-cluster sampling to determine and compare the prevalence of hepatitis ..
- Serological and entomological survey in a zoonotic visceral leishmaniasis focus of North Central Anatolia, Turkey: Corum province
Adnan Menderes University, Medical School Department of Parasitology, Aydin, Turkey
Acta Trop 93:239-46. 2005
..and entomological survey on a visceral leishmaniasis (VL) focus located on the northern central part of Anatolia, Turkey. Five villages of Corum province, where five confirmed cases of human visceral leishmaniasis (HVL) (one patient/..
- Demographic and clinical features of uveitis in tertiary centers in Turkey
Department of Ophthalmology, Marmara University School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 15:285-93. 2008
To analyze the referral patterns and clinical features of uveitis in tertiary eye care centers in Turkey.
- Parental educational level and cardiovascular disease risk factors in schoolchildren in large urban areas of Turkey: directions for public health policy
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Harokopio University of Athens, 70, E, Venizelou Ave, 17671 Kallithea, Athens, Greece
BMC Public Health 5:13. 2005
..e. dietary habits, physical activity status) factors related to CVD risk and its relationships to paternal (PEL) and maternal educational level (MEL) among primary schoolchildren in Turkey.
- Disability and its effects on quality of life among older people living in Antalya city center, Turkey
Department of Public Health, Akdeniz University Medical Faculty, Campus, 07070 Antalya, Turkey
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 40:213-23. 2005
..These findings must to be incorporated into planning procedures as expenditure is allocated in order to decrease disability...
- Prevalence of posttraumatic stress disorder and comorbid depression in earthquake survivors in Turkey: an epidemiological study
Section of Trauma Studies, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College, University of London, London, United Kingdom
J Trauma Stress 17:133-41. 2004
..examined the prevalence of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and depression 14 months after the earthquake in Turkey in 2 randomly selected samples from the epicenter (n = 530) and a suburb of Istanbul 100 km from the epicenter (n =..
- Height, weight, body mass index and pubertal development reference values for children of Turkish origin in the Netherlands
A Miranda Fredriks
Child Health Division, TNO Prevention and Health, 2301 CE Leiden, The Netherlands
Eur J Pediatr 162:788-93. 2003
..these references with the reference data of children of Dutch origin and with Turkish reference data collected in Turkey and elsewhere in Europe...
- A survey on canine leishmaniasis in western Turkey by parasite, DNA and antibody detection assays
Ege University Medical School, Department of Parasitology, Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
Acta Trop 74:1-6. 2000
..visceral leishmaniasis (VL) caused by Leishmania infantum is found throughout the Mediterranean Region, including Turkey, where dogs are considered to be the main reservoir host for this parasite...
- Characterization of rpoB mutations in rifampin-resistant clinical isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis from Turkey by DNA sequencing and line probe assay
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, School of Medicine, Ege University 35100, Izmir, Turkey
J Clin Microbiol 40:4435-8. 2002
..resistance were studied in 41 rifampin-resistant clinical strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolated in Turkey. Fourteen different rpoB alleles, three of which had not been reported before, were found...
- Influence of Saccharomyces cerevisiae strains on fermentation and flavor compounds of white wines made from cv. Emir grown in Central Anatolia, Turkey
Department of Food Engineering, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Cukurova, Adana 01300, Turkey
J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 29:28-33. 2002
..cv. Emir grown in Central Anatolia, Turkey. Flavor compounds were analysed and identified by GC-FID and GC-MS, respectively...
- Including expectant fathers in antenatal education programmes in Istanbul, Turkey
J M Turan
Istanbul Tip Fakultesi, Kadin ve Cocuk Sağliği Eğitim ve Araştirma Birimi, Cerrahi Monoblok karşisi, Capa 34390, Istanbul, Turkey
Reprod Health Matters 9:114-25. 2001
..present the results of three studies investigating methods for including men in antenatal education in Istanbul, Turkey. Participants were first-time expectant parents living in low and middle-income areas...
- Intervention of the Renal Disaster Relief Task Force in the 1999 Marmara, Turkey earthquake
Renal Division, University Hospital, Gent, Belgium
Kidney Int 59:783-91. 2001
..Currently, the primary problem is organizational, if huge catastrophes occur and complex therapeutic options need to be offered to a large number of victims...
- Patterns of active and passive smoking, and associated factors, in the South-east Anatolian Project (SEAP) region in Turkey
Ali I Bozkurt
Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, Pamukkale University, Denizli, Turkey
BMC Public Health 6:15. 2006
Smoking is an important health threat in Turkey. This study aimed to determine the frequency of and main factors associated with smoking in persons of 15 years and over, and the frequency of passive smoking in homes in the South-east ..
- Widal test in diagnosis of typhoid fever in Turkey
Kocaeli Universitesi Tip Fakultesi Klinik Bakteriyoloji ve Infeksiyon Hastaliklari AD, Izmit, Turkey
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 9:938-41. 2002
..The results must be interpreted cautiously because of the low sensitivity of the test. The Widal test done on convalescent-phase serum gave more-reliable results with higher specificity and sensitivity...
- The prevalence of Behçet's disease above the age of 10 years. The results of a pilot study conducted at the Park Primary Health Care Center in Ankara, Turkey
Multidisciplinary Behçet s Disease Centre, Ankara University, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 9:325-31. 2002
..The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of Behçet's disease above the age of 10 years by means of a population-based study...
- Work-related musculoskeletal disorders: a survey of physical therapists in Izmir-Turkey
School of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation, Dokuz Eylul University, PO Box 35340 Inciralti, Izmir, Turkey
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 5:27. 2004
This study was planned to collect data about causes, prevalence and responses to work-related musculoskeletal disorders reported by physiotherapists employed in Izmir, Turkey.
- HLA class I and class II genotyping in patients with Behcet's disease: a regional study of eastern part of Turkey
Ataturk University, Medical School, Department of Medical Biology, 25240 Erzurum, Turkey
Tissue Antigens 64:293-7. 2004
..to its association with HLA class I and class II among the Turkish people who live in the eastern region of Turkey. Moreover, as it is known that B51 antigen is encoded by 21 alleles, B*5101-5121, HLA-B51 allele typing was ..
- Efficacy of chloroquine in the treatment of Plasmodium vivax malaria in Turkey
M A Kurcer
Harran University, Faculty of Medicine, Public Health Department, Sanliurfa, Turkey
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 98:447-51. 2004
..In Sanliurfa province, in south-eastern Turkey, there therefore seems to be a high risk of therapeutic failure in patients given CQ to cure P...
- Medical experience of a university hospital in Turkey after the 1999 Marmara earthquake
Department of Emergency Medicine, Uludag University Medical School, 16059 Bursa, Turkey
Emerg Med J 22:494-8. 2005
This study aimed to provide an overview of morbidity and mortality among patients admitted to the Hospital of the Medicine Faculty of Uludag University, Bursa, Turkey, after the 1999 Marmara earthquake.
- MRSA genotypes in Turkey: persistence over 10 years of a single clone of ST239
Erciyes University, Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Kayseri 38039, Turkey
J Infect 58:433-8. 2009
..The aim of this prospective, multi-centre study was to determine the prevalence and genetic relatedness of clinically relevant MRSA isolates, in Turkey.
- Risk factors and cardiovascular disease in Turkey
University of Istanbul, Turkish Society of Cardiology, Ortaklar cad 4 7, Mecidiyekoy, 80290 Istanbul, Turkey
Atherosclerosis 156:1-10. 2001
..Since several adverse factors exhibit a rising trend, primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease must assume a much higher priority in various issues in Turkey than it currently does.
- Depression and generalised anxiety in the general population in Belgium: a comparison between native and immigrant groups
University of Antwerp, Faculty of Political and Social Sciences Research Unit on Poverty, Social Exclusion and the City OASeS, Belgium
J Affect Disord 97:229-39. 2007
..However, the question remains whether there are statistically significant differences between foreign origin groups and the native population...
- Women's knowledge about human papillomavirus and their acceptance of HPV vaccine
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine, Baskent University, Ankara, Turkey
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 49:202-6. 2009
..However, there is ongoing debate about the acceptance of the HPV vaccine as a part of routine vaccine scheme. The aim of this study is to determine the baseline knowledge Turkish women have about HPV and prophylactic HPV vaccines...
- The knowledge and attitudes of breast self-examination and mammography in a group of women in a rural area in western Turkey
Pinar Erbay Dundar
Public Health Department, Faculty of Medicine, Celal Bayar University, Manisa, Turkey
BMC Cancer 6:43. 2006
..were to determine levels of knowledge about breast cancer and to evaluate health beliefs concerning the model that promotes breast self- examination (BSE) and mammography in a group of women aged 20-64 in a rural area of western Turkey.
- Microbial contamination of dental unit waterlines in Istanbul, Turkey
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Istanbul University, Vezneciler Eminönü, Istanbul, 34120, Turkey
Environ Monit Assess 147:265-9. 2008
..Aspergillus flavus, Penicillium expansum. Legionella sp. were not detected in all water samples...
- Prevalence and virological features of occult hepatitis B virus infection in female sex workers who work uncontrolled in Turkey
Department of Gastroenterohepatology, Istanbul Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Liver Int 29:227-30. 2009
..There is little information about the prevalence of occult hepatitis B virus infection (OHBVI). We have investigated the prevalence and virological features of OHBVI among female sex workers (FSWs) in Istanbul...
- Suspected child abuse among victims of home accidents being admitted to the emergency department: a prospective survey from Turkey
Dokuz Eylul University School of Medicine, Department of Child and Adolescent Mental Health, Izmir, Turkey
Pediatr Emerg Care 22:794-803. 2006
- Association of angiotensin converting enzyme gene insertion/deletion polymorphism with lung cancer in Turkey
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Gaziantep University, 27310 Sahinbey, Gaziantep, Turkey
Cancer Genet Cytogenet 198:22-6. 2010
..6 vs. 17.6%, P = 0.011; ACE I allele 49.6 vs. 39.4%, P =0.009). Our data suggest that the ACE I/D polymorphism could be a risk factor for patients with lung cancer...
- Risk factors for drug resistant tuberculosis in southeast Turkey
A Cetin Tanrikulu
Department of Chest Diseases, School of Medicine, Kafkas University, Kars, Turkey
Trop Doct 38:91-3. 2008
We undertook a cross-sectional survey of 116 patients at Dicle Hospital, Turkey, who had with bacteriologically confirmed tuberculosis (TB)...
- Effects of leachant temperature and pH on leachability of metals from fly ash. A case study: Can thermal power plant, province of Canakkale, Turkey
Department of Geological Engineering, Canakkale Onsekiz Mart University, 17020 Canakkale, Turkey
Environ Monit Assess 139:287-98. 2008
..In this study, fly ash samples obtained from the thermal power plant in the town of Can in Turkey were investigated for leachability of metals under different acidic and temperature conditions...
- Ancient nigella seeds from Boyali Höyük in north-central Turkey
Department of Chemistry, Hacettepe University, 06800, Beytepe, Ankara, Turkey
J Ethnopharmacol 124:416-20. 2009
..flask from the Old Hittite Period level of Boyali Höyük (Mound), dating from around 1650 BC, in north-central Turkey. The study also deals with a comparison between the chemical properties of the Boyali Höyük nigella seeds (..
- A rare but fatal case of granulomatous amebic encephalitis with brain abscess: the first case reported from Turkey
Feyzi Birol Sarica
Baskent University, School of Medicine, Neurosurgery Department, Ankara, Turkey
Turk Neurosurg 19:256-9. 2009
..This paper presents a case of GAE with abscess formation in a 75-year-old male patient...
- Seroprevalence of Q fever in a district located in the west Black Sea region of Turkey
Refik Saydam National Public Health Agency, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 29:465-9. 2010
Q fever is a worldwide zoonosis caused by Coxiella burnetii. In Turkey, it has been reported from the late 1940s that Q fever is endemic in humans and animals...
- A new hominoid species from the middle Miocene site of Paşalar, Turkey
Department of Oral Biology, College of Dentistry, University of Illinois at Chicago, 801 S Paulina, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Hum Evol 54:455-79. 2008
A new species of fossil hominoid is described from the middle Miocene deposits at Paşalar, Turkey. It is the less common of the two Paşalar species discussed by Martin and Andrews (1993), making up approximately 10% of the individuals ..
- An investigation on the anticandidal activity of some traditional medicinal plants in Turkey
Department of Science Education, Erzincan Education Faculty, University of Erzincan, Erzincan, Turkey
Mycoses 52:135-40. 2009
..piperita showed the highest anticandidal activity with 12.3 mm inhibition zone and 1.25 mg ml(-1) MIC value against C. albicans, M. longifolia, P. lanceolata and A. austriaca also displayed activity against C. albicans and C. tropicalis...
- Clinical presentation and management of gastroesophageal reflux disease in a referral center in Turkey
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Hacettepe University Medical Faculty, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Pediatr Surg 18:180-4. 2008
..the onset of clinical findings related to gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) until the surgical therapy to achieve a better organization of the multiple disciplines and create the best management scheme in a referral center in Turkey.
- Elevated blood lead concentrations in essential tremor: a case-control study in Mersin, Turkey
Department of Neurology, Faculty of Medicine, Mersin University, Mersin, Turkey
Environ Health Perspect 115:1564-8. 2007
..A recent study in New York City found blood lead concentrations to be elevated in ET cases compared with matched controls. Chronic exposure to lead produces cerebellar damage, and this could predispose individuals to develop ET...
- The frequency of consanguineous marriage in eastern Turkey
Department of Pediatrics, Yuzuncu Yil University Faculty of Medicine, Van, Turkey
Genet Couns 20:207-14. 2009
The frequency of consanguineous marriage in Eastern Turkey:
- Hypertension incidence in Turkey (HinT): a population-based study
Department of Nephrology, Faculty of Medicine, Hacettepe University, Turkey
J Hypertens 28:240-4. 2010
..Few studies have been published on hypertension incidence in developing countries despite the high prevalence observed. The aim of this study was to investigate the incidence of hypertension in Turkey.
- [Investigation of anti-Leishmania seroprevalence by different serologic assays in children inhabiting in the northwestern part of Turkey]
Osmangazi Universitesi Tip Fakultesi, Mikrobiyoloji Anabilim Dali, Eskisehir
Mikrobiyol Bul 42:103-11. 2008
..infantum in Mediterranean region is still an important public health problem in those countries including Turkey. The asymptomatic presentation of the infection in most of the cases leads to difficulties in the diagnosis and ..
- The association between personal habits and bladder cancer in Turkey
Department of Urology, SB Ankara Diskapi Training Hospital, Ankara 06800, Turkey
Int Urol Nephrol 40:643-7. 2008
..In this study, we analyzed the effect of Turkish coffee and black tea consumption, alcohol intake and smoking on bladder cancer...
- Analysis of naturally acquired antibody responses to the 19-kd C-terminal region of merozoite surface protein-1 of Plasmodium vivax from individuals in Sanliurfa, Turkey
Fadile Yildiz Zeyrek
Harran University Medical Faculty, Department of Microbiology, Sanliurfa, Turkey
Am J Trop Med Hyg 78:729-32. 2008
..falciparum. However, southeastern Turkey is one of the exceptional regions with the sole presence of P...
- Spread of OXA-48-positive carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae isolates in Istanbul, Turkey
Service de Bacteriologie Virologie, INSERM U914, Emerging Resistance to Antibiotics, Hopital de Bicetre, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Faculte de Medecine Paris Sud, Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:2950-4. 2008
..The 39 isolates belonged to two different clones and were collected at the University Hospital of Istanbul, Turkey, from May 2006 to February 2007, and they coproduced various beta-lactamases (SHV-12, OXA-9, and TEM-1 for clone A ..
- Nutritional risk of hospitalized patients in Turkey
Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Uludag, Bursa, Turkey
Clin Nutr 28:533-7. 2009
..We conducted a multicentre study to assess nutritional risk at hospital admission, hospital-associated iatrogenic malnutrition and the status of nutritional support in Turkish hospitals...
- Cystic echinococcosis in Turkey: genetic variability and first record of the pig strain (G7) in the country
Parasitological Institute, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Kosice, Slovakia
Parasitol Res 105:145-54. 2009
..granulosus isolates collected from 12 sheep and ten humans from a focus of cystic echinococcosis in western Turkey was examined by DNA sequencing of four mitochondrial genes (cox1, atp6, nad1, rrnS)...
- Cytogenetic results of recurrent spontaneous abortions in Turkey
Department of Medical Biology and Genetics, College of Medicine, Firat University, Elazig, Turkey
Med Sci Monit 13:CR286-89. 2007
..This may contribute to elucidating the genetic basis of this condition and warn physicians of the cytogenetic abnormalities in cases with recurrent spontaneous abortions...
- Quality of life and postmenopausal symptoms among women in a rural district of the capital city of Turkey
Isil Irem Budakoglu
Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, Baskent University, Ankara, Turkey
Gynecol Endocrinol 23:404-9. 2007
To determine menopause-related symptoms and quality of life in women aged 40-80 years living in a rural area of Turkey.
- Epizootic hemorrhagic disease in cattle, Western Turkey
Ethem Mutlu Temizel
Uludag University Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Gorukle, Turkey
Emerg Infect Dis 15:317-9. 2009
In 2007, an outbreak of epizootic hemorrhagic disease (EHD) occurred in Turkey. On the basis of clinical investigation, 41 cattle were suspected to have EHD...
- The validation of ID Migraine screener in neurology outpatient clinics in Turkey
Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, University of Uludag, 16059, Gorukle, Bursa, Turkey
J Headache Pain 8:217-23. 2007
..This test would help to increase the diagnosis and treatment rate of undiagnosed migraine patients in NOCs...
- The risk factors for infections acquired by cerebral hemorrhage and cerebral infarct patients in a neurology intensive care unit in Turkey
Gul Ruhsar Yilmaz
Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology Department, Ankara Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Jpn J Infect Dis 60:87-91. 2007
..In conclusion, each type of ICU has its own epidemiological findings for nosocomial infections and thus needs to determine the risk factors using periodical surveillance studies to guide control measures...
- Apolipoprotein E gene polymorphism and polycystic ovary syndrome patients in Western Anatolia, Turkey
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism Disease, Division of Internal Medicine, Ege University Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
J Assist Reprod Genet 26:1-6. 2009
..We aimed at evaluating the distribution of Apo E alleles that can influence cardiovascular risk of the PCOS patients and control subjects...
- Atherosclerotic vascular disease and risk factors in Turkey: from past to present
Department of Cardiology, Faculty of Medicine, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
J Atheroscler Thromb 15:286-91. 2008
The prevalence of atherosclerotic vascular disease is unexpectedly high in Turkey despite its young population, with a median age of 29...
- Multigenic and morphometric differentiation of ground squirrels (Spermophilus, Scuiridae, Rodentia) in Turkey, with a description of a new species
Department of Biology, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, University of Ondokuz Mayis, Samsun, Turkey
Mol Phylogenet Evol 43:916-35. 2007
This study reports on the molecular phylogenetics of ground squirrels, genus Spermophilus, in Turkey using cytochrome b (1140bp), part of the D-loop and flanking tRNAs (572bp), X chromosome (867-1051bp) and Y chromosome (983-989bp) DNA ..
- Comparison of the health-promoting lifestyles of nursing and non-nursing students in Istanbul, Turkey
Florence Nightingale School of Nursing, Department of Medical Nursing, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Nurs Health Sci 10:273-80. 2008
..We carried out a descriptive and cross-sectional study with 1616 university students in Istanbul, Turkey. Students from the nursing schools were compared to those from the schools of social sciences using a Turkish ..
- Interleukin-10 gene promoter polymorphism in patients with schizophrenia in a region of East Turkey
Department of Medical Biology and Genetics, Faculty of Medicine, Firat University, Elazig, Turkey
World J Biol Psychiatry 10:461-8. 2009
..polymorphic variants in patients with schizophrenia in a population of the Elazig Region of East Anatolia, Turkey. Polymorphisms at position -1082, -819 and-592 in the IL-10 promoter region were determined in 171 Turkish ..
- The diagnosis of malaria and identification of plasmodium species by polymerase chain reaction in Turkey
University of Mersin, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Medical Microbiology, Mersin, Turkey
Parasitol Int 56:217-20. 2007
..We evaluated the performance of this method in the diagnosis of malaria suspected cases in Turkey by comparing to microscopy of the blood smears: blood samples were obtained from 114 patients with malaria ..
- Fatty acid, triacylglycerol, phytosterol, and tocopherol variations in kernel oil of Malatya apricots from Turkey
Food Engineering Department, Abant Izzet Baysal University, Bolu, Turkey
J Agric Food Chem 55:10787-94. 2007
..and phytosterol compositions of kernel oils obtained from nine apricot varieties grown in the Malatya region of Turkey were determined ( P<0.05)...
- Clinical characteristics and outcome of patients with stage III esophageal carcinoma: a single-center experience from Turkey
Vahide I Ugur
Department of Radiation Oncology, Ankara Oncology Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Med Oncol 25:63-8. 2008
..Three patients could not tolerate the treatment and left the therapy. We demonstrated that stage III esophageal carcinoma is an extremely deadly disease, and in spite of major advances in cancer treatment, prognosis is still poor...
- PPR virus infection on sheep in blacksea region of Turkey: epidemiology and diagnosis by RT-PCR and virus isolation
Veterinary, Control and Research Institute, Virology Division, Samsun, Turkey
Vet Res Commun 33:241-9. 2009
..and the method of breeding. Additionally, it is determined that RT-PCR is sensitive and reliable method in the diagnosis of PPRV infection...
- Evaluation of clinical, laboratory, and therapeutic features of 145 tularemia cases: the role of quinolones in oropharyngeal tularemia
Department of Clinical Bacteriology and Infectious Diseases, Medical Faculty, Kocaeli University, Kocaeli, Turkey
APMIS 116:66-73. 2008
Tularemia outbreaks have occurred in various regions of Turkey in recent years...