- Isolation and characterization of Israeli acute paralysis virus, a dicistrovirus affecting honeybees in Israel: evidence for diversity due to intra- and inter-species recombination
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Faculty of Agricultural, Food and Environmental Quality Sciences, Rehovot 76100, Israel
J Gen Virol 88:3428-38. 2007
..the isolation, purification, genome-sequencing and characterization of a picorna-like virus from dead bees in Israel. Sequence analysis indicated that IAPV (Israeli acute paralysis virus) is a distinct dicistrovirus...
- Multicenter cross-sectional study of nontuberculous mycobacterial infections among cystic fibrosis patients, Israel
Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Emerg Infect Dis 14:378-84. 2008
..17-1.85, respectively). The incidence of NTM pulmonary infections is increasing among cystic fibrosis patients, reflecting the increase in longevity of such patients as well as environmental exposure to various species of mycobacteria...
- Genetic analysis of Israel acute paralysis virus: distinct clusters are circulating in the United States
Center for Infection and Immunity, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, 722 West 168th Street, Room 1801, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Virol 82:6209-17. 2008
b>Israel acute paralysis virus (IAPV) is associated with colony collapse disorder of honey bees. Nonetheless, its role in the pathogenesis of the disorder and its geographic distribution are unclear...
- Nuts, nut cracking, and pitted stones at Gesher Benot Ya'aqov, Israel
Institute of Archaeology, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Mt Scopus, Jerusalem 91905, Israel
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:2455-60. 2002
The Acheulian site of Gesher Benot Ya'aqov (Israel) has revealed a unique association of edible nuts with pitted hammers and anvils...
- Allopurinol is the most common cause of Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis in Europe and Israel
Department of Dermatology, Soroka University Medical Center, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
J Am Acad Dermatol 58:25-32. 2008
..Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS) and toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN) are rare severe cutaneous adverse reactions...
- Population genetics of Leishmania infantum in Israel and the Palestinian Authority through microsatellite analysis
Institute of Microbiology and Hygiene, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Microbes Infect 11:484-92. 2009
..the European strains: population A, containing 16 strains from places in the West Bank and 11 strains from central Israel;and population B, containing 7 strains from northern Israel, 9 from central Israel, and one Palestinian strain ..
- Outbreak of cutaneous leishmaniasis in northern Israel
Raymond L Jacobson
Department of Parasitology, The Kuvin Center for Study of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem, Israel
J Infect Dis 188:1065-73. 2003
..describes a new focus of cutaneous leishmaniasis (CL) due to Leishmania tropica, in the Galilee region of northern Israel. Thirty-three cases from 4 villages (northern part) and from the city of Tiberias (southern part) have been ..
- A serosurvey of Hepatozoon canis and Ehrlichia canis antibodies in wild red foxes (Vulpes vulpes) from Israel
School of Veterinary Medicine, Hebrew University, P O Box 12, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Vet Parasitol 119:21-6. 2004
..reactive with Ehrlichia canis and Hepatozoon canis antigens in free-ranging red foxes (Vulpes vulpes) in Israel. Of 84 fox sera assayed, 36% were seropositive for E...
- Akabane virus in Israel: a new virus lineage
Virology Division, Kimron Veterinary Institute, P O Box 12 Beit Dagan, 50250 Israel
Virus Res 104:93-7. 2004
This report describes the first molecular characterization of Akabane virus (AKAV) in Israel. The virus was recognized by real-time RT-PCR in extracts from Culicoides imicola insects trapped at the Volcani Center located in the center of ..
- Epidemiology of adult and adolescent HIV infection in Israel: a country of immigration
Department of Tuberculosis and AIDS, Ministry of Health, POB 1176, Jerusalem, Israel
Int J STD AIDS 15:691-6. 2004
In Israel, the caseload and main modes of transmission have changed dramatically since 1991 after mass immigration from countries with generalized HIV epidemics...
- The Jerusalem Perinatal Study cohort, 1964-2005: methods and a review of the main results
Department of Epidemiology, Mailman School of Public Health, New York 10032, USA
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 21:256-73. 2007
..The offspring, mothers and fathers have been traced recently, their vital status assessed, and the data linked to Israel's Cancer Registry and Psychiatric Registry...
- Headaches in overweight children and adolescents referred to a tertiary-care center in Israel
Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes Unit, Edmond and Lily Safra Children s Hospital, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Ramat Gan, Israel
Obesity (Silver Spring) 16:659-63. 2008
..To assess the association between obesity and primary headaches in children and adolescents...
- Chronic physical conditions and use of health services among persons with mental disorders: results from the Israel National Health Survey
Ministry of Health, Jerusalem, Israel
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 30:226-32. 2008
..This study aimed to determine the association between common mental disorders and common chronic physical conditions and the contribution of mental disorders to the likelihood of being a higher user of health services...
- Diabetes as a risk factor for herpes zoster infection: results of a population-based study in Israel
A D Heymann
Medical Division, Maccabi Healthcare Services, 27 HaMered St, Tel Aviv, 68125, Israel
Infection 36:226-30. 2008
..However, data on the relation between DM and HZ are scarce. This case-control study explored the association between DM and HZ...
- Salinity responses of benthic microbial communities in a solar saltern (Eilat, Israel)
Ketil Bernt Sørensen
Danish Center for Earth System Science, Institute of Biology, University of Southern Denmark, University of Odense, Odense, Denmark
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:1608-16. 2004
..sulfate reducers, and methanogens from the laminated endoevaporitic community in the solar salterns of Eilat, Israel, were studied in situ with oxygen microelectrodes and in the laboratory in slurries...
- Molecular and antigenic characterization of a highly evolved derivative of the type 2 oral poliovaccine strain isolated from sewage in Israel
L M Shulman
Central Virology Laboratory, Public Health Laboratories, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer 52621, Israel
J Clin Microbiol 38:3729-34. 2000
- Multifarious characterization of leishmania tropica from a Judean desert focus, exposing intraspecific diversity and incriminating phlebotomus sergenti as its vector
Lionel F Schnur
Department of Parasitology, The Kuvin Center for the Study of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem, Israel
Am J Trop Med Hyg 70:364-72. 2004
..tropica strains into two clusters that were not entirely congruent with geographic distribution. These results support the heterogeneous nature of L. tropica and incriminate Ph. sergenti as its vector in this Judean Desert focus...
- Evidence for anaerobic syntrophic acetate oxidation during methane production in the profundal sediment of subtropical Lake Kinneret (Israel)
Max Planck Institut fur terrestrische Mikrobiologie, Karl von Frisch Strasse, D 35043 Marburg, Germany
Environ Microbiol 3:460-70. 2001
- Food allergy is a matter of geography after all: sesame as a major cause of severe IgE-mediated food allergic reactions among infants and young children in Israel
Pediatric Allergy and Clinical Immunology Unit, Department of Pediatrics, E Wolfson Medical Center, Israel
Allergy 57:362-5. 2002
To determine the prevalence, importance, and the order of frequency of IgE-mediated food allergens among infants and young children in Israel.
- Epizootic haemorrhagic disease virus type 7 infection in cattle in Israel
Kimron Veterinary Institute, Bet Dagan 50250, Israel
Vet Rec 162:53-6. 2008
- Dopamine D4 receptor (D4DR) exon III polymorphism associated with the human personality trait of Novelty Seeking
R P Ebstein
Research Laboratory, S Herzog Memorial Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
Nat Genet 12:78-80. 1996
- Sequence variants in HTRA1 and LOC387715/ARMS2 and phenotype and response to photodynamic therapy in neovascular age-related macular degeneration in populations from Israel
Department of Ophthalmology, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Mol Vis 14:2263-71. 2008
..We tested whether these SNPs are associated with AMD in Israeli populations, if they underlie variable phenotype and response to therapy in neovascular AMD (NVAMD), and if HTRA1 expression in vivo is associated with its promoter variant...
- Epidemiological, clinical, and microbiological characteristics of late-onset sepsis among very low birth weight infants in Israel: a national survey
Imad R Makhoul
Department of Neonatology, Rambam Medical Center and Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Pediatrics 109:34-9. 2002
..Methods. From a national cohort of 5555 VLBW infants born in Israel during 1995 through 1998, 4829 survived at least 3 days and composed the study population...
- An outbreak of Streptococcus pneumoniae serotype 1 in a closed community in southern Israel
Pediatric Infectious Disease Unit, Soroka University Medical Center, Beer Sheva 84101, Israel
Clin Infect Dis 30:319-21. 2000
..Polysaccharide vaccine may be helpful in terminating pneumococcal outbreaks but may not affect pneumococcal carriage...
- Listeria monocytogenes infection in Israel and review of cases worldwide
Infectious Diseases Unit, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, 6 Weizman Street, Tel Aviv 64239, Israel
Emerg Infect Dis 8:305-10. 2002
..in reported cases of listeriosis during 1998 motivated a retrospective nationwide survey of the infection in Israel. From 1995 to 1999, 161 cases were identified; 70 (43%) were perinatal infections, with a fetal mortality rate of ..
- Shells and ochre in Middle Paleolithic Qafzeh Cave, Israel: indications for modern behavior
Daniella E Bar-Yosef Mayer
The Leon Recanati Institute for Maritime Studies and Department of Maritime Civilizations, University of Haifa, Haifa, Israel
J Hum Evol 56:307-14. 2009
..The shells were collected and brought from the Mediterranean Sea shore some 35km away, and are complete Glycymeris bivalves, naturally perforated. Several valves bear traces of having been strung, and a few had ochre stains on them...
- West Nile fever in Israel 1999-2000: from geese to humans
Central Virology Laboratory, Public Health Services, Ministry of Health, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Ann N Y Acad Sci 951:127-42. 2001
West Nile virus (WNV) caused disease outbreaks in Israel in the 1950s and the late 1970s. In 1998 an outbreak of WNV in goose farms and evidence of infection in dead migratory birds were reported...
- Phylogenetic analysis of a human isolate from the 2000 Israel West Nile virus epidemic
Emerging Diseases Laboratory, Dept of Neurology, Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, 3107 Gillespie Neuroscience Building, University of California at Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697 4292, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 8:528-31. 2002
Specimens from a patient of the 2000 Israel West Nile virus epidemic were analyzed by reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction...
- Epidemiological investigations of outbreaks of bovine ephemeral fever in Israel
Koret School of Veterinary Medicine, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot, Israel
Vet Rec 151:117-21. 2002
In two epidemics of bovine ephemeral fever (BEF) in Israel, one in 1990 and one in 1999, the virus was probably carried by vectors transported by air currents across the Rift Valley and through the Red Sea trough...
- No relationship between risk of schizophrenia and prenatal exposure to stress during the Six-Day War or Yom Kippur War in Israel
Jean Paul Selten
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Psychiatry, University Medical Center, P O Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, Ref Nr A00 241, The Netherlands
Schizophr Res 63:131-5. 2003
Maternal stress during pregnancy is a possible risk factor for schizophrenia in the offspring. Using data from the Israel Psychiatric Registry we examined the impact of wars in Israel.
- Cocirculation and evolution of two lineages of influenza B viruses in europe and Israel in the 2001-2002 season
X Sherry Chi
Clinical Immunology and Virology Department, Applied Immunology and Microbiology Division, Wyeth Vaccine Research, Pearl River, New York 10965, USA
J Clin Microbiol 41:5770-3. 2003
Forty-nine influenza B virus isolates collected in Belgium, Finland, Spain, and Israel during the 2001-2002 winter season were categorized into either of two lineages, B/Yamagata/16/88 or B/Victoria/2/87, based on the phylogenetic studies ..
- Leishmaniasis in Israel and the Palestinian Authority
Charles L Jaffe
Department of Parasitology, Kuvin Centre for the Study of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, PO Box 12272, Jerusalem 91220, Israel
Trends Parasitol 20:328-32. 2004
- The direct medical cost of diabetes in Israel
Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Eur J Health Econ 6:166-71. 2005
..patients followed up for 3 years drawn from the computerized medical administrative database of a large HMO in Israel, insuring around 25% of the population...
- Post-epidemic serosurvey of West Nile fever in Israel
M Y Chowers
Infectious Diseases Unit, Meir Medical Center, 59 Tsharnichovski Street, Kfar Saba, 44281, Israel
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 24:851-3. 2005
- The West Nile Virus outbreak in Israel (2000) from a new perspective: the regional impact of climate change
Department of Geography and Environmental Studies, University of Haifa, Haifa, Israel
Int J Environ Health Res 16:1-13. 2006
The West Nile Virus (WNV) outbreak in Israel in 2000 appeared after medical and climatic warning signs...
- Time trends of incidence rates of thyroid cancer in Israel: what might explain the sharp increase
Institute of Endocrinology, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Thyroid 16:1033-40. 2006
..Regional differences in the spectrum of TC may be related to genetic factors, ionizing radiation, lifestyle, and nutritional iodine, as well as to the availability of medical services...
- Prostate cancer in fathers with fewer male offspring: the Jerusalem Perinatal Study cohort
Department of Epidemiology, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, 722 W 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 99:77-81. 2007
..0001) but did not change with the number of daughters. These findings suggest that a Y chromosome locus may be involved in prostate cancer risk in this population...
- Between traditional and modern perceptions of breast and cervical cancer screenings: a qualitative study of Arab women in Israel
Faculty of Social Welfare and Health Studies, School of Social Work, Haifa University, Israel
Psychooncology 17:34-41. 2008
..However, there was firm agreement that although these created emotional difficulties, they were not sufficiently important to cause women to forgo screenings...
- A review of a community program aimed at preventing early childhood caries among Jerusalem infants--a brief communication
Department of Community Dentistry, The Hebrew University Hadassah School of Dental Medicine
J Public Health Dent 67:78-82. 2007
Early childhood caries (ECC) has not been adequately investigated in Israel. A previous Jerusalem study has demonstrated a potential effect on toothbrushing among infants...
- Outbreak of carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae producing KPC-3 in a tertiary medical centre in Israel
Laboratory of Clinical Microbiology, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Hospital, Petah Tiqwa 49100, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Int J Antimicrob Agents 30:525-9. 2007
..These findings should alert government and medical authorities to institute stringent control measures and to initiate research into therapeutic and preventive strategies...
- Dental and oral trauma during childhood and adolescence in Israel: occurrence, causes, and outcomes
Department of Oral Rehabilitation, The Maurice and Gabriela Goldschleger School of Dental Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Dent Traumatol 23:356-9. 2007
..Increased awareness of protective measures and devices, and their actual use should be encouraged with public health education...
- Intussusception in children in Southern Israel: disparity between 2 populations
The Pediatric Infectious Disease Unit, Soroka University Medical Center, The Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:236-40. 2008
Intussusception has been associated with 1 rotavirus vaccine. Our objective was to determine intussusception rates in children in southern Israel during a 15-year period before the introduction of new rotavirus vaccines.
- An international serotype 3 clone causing pediatric noninvasive infections in Israel, Costa Rica, and Lithuania
Pediatric Infectious Disease Unit, Soroka University Medical Center and the Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:709-12. 2008
..The present study was aimed to evaluate the importance of serotype 3 clones in noninvasive infections in Israel, Costa Rica, and Lithuania.
- The leucine rich repeat kinase 2 (LRRK2) G2019S substitution mutation. Association with Parkinson disease, malignant melanoma and prevalence in ethnic groups in Israel
The Parkinson s Disease and Movement Disorders Clinic, Dept of Neurology and Sagol Neuroscience Center, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, 52621, Israel
J Neurol 256:483-7. 2009
..An association between malignant melanoma (MM) and PD was also recently reported. The nature of this association is still elusive...
- Young-age onset of colorectal cancer in Israel
Department of Surgery, Meir Medical Center, Kfar Sava, Israel
Tech Coloproctol 13:201-4. 2009
- Initial investigation of mortality rates and prognostic indicators in horses with colic in Israel: a retrospective study
G A Sutton
Koret School of Veterinary Medicine, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Faculty of Agricultural, Food and Environmental Quality Sciences, POB 12, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Equine Vet J 41:482-6. 2009
Initial assessment of the mortality rates and prognostic indicators in horses with colic presented to a referral hospital in Israel.
- Spiny mice modulate eumelanin to pheomelanin ratio to achieve cryptic coloration in "evolution canyon," Israel
Institute of Evolution, University of Haifa, Mount Carmel, Haifa, Israel
PLoS ONE 5:e8708. 2010
..However, no study has explored this conjecture yet. "Evolution Canyon" (EC) in Israel is a natural microscale laboratory where the relationship between organism and environment can be explored...
- Phylogenetic status and matrilineal structure of the biting midge, Culicoides imicola, in Portugal, Rhodes and Israel
J F Dallas
School of Biological Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, U K
Med Vet Entomol 17:379-87. 2003
..imicola from Portugal, Rhodes, Israel, and South Africa and four other species of the Imicola Complex from southern Africa, and to estimate levels of ..
- Satisfaction with and access to community care of the chronically ill in Israel's health system
JDC Brookdale Institute, Health Policy, P O Box 3886, Jerusalem 91037, Israel
Health Policy 67:129-36. 2004
One goal of Israel's National Health Insurance Law was to improve services for vulnerable populations...
- Bionomics of phlebotomine sandflies in the Galilee focus of cutaneous leishmaniasis in northern Israel
Department of Parasitology, Kuvin Centre for the Study of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem, Israel
Med Vet Entomol 18:418-28. 2004
..Psychodidae) were studied for three years (2001-2003) in the Galilee focus of cutaneous leishmaniasis in northern Israel, where the causative Leishmania tropica (Kinetoplastida: Trypanosomatidae) is transmitted by Phlebotomus (Adlerius)..
- Use of cellular telephones and transmission of pathogens by medical staff in New York and Israel
Joseph Gil Goldblatt
Infectious Diseases Unit, Bnai Zion Medical Center, Haifa, 31048, Israel
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 28:500-3. 2007
..One-fifth of the cellular telephones examined in this study were found to harbor pathogenic microorganisms, showing that these devices may serve as vectors for transmission to patients...
- Who is affected more by air pollution-sick or healthy? Some evidence from a health survey of schoolchildren living in the vicinity of a coal-fired power plant in Northern Israel
Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Management, University of Haifa, Israel
Health Place 16:399-408. 2010
..To evaluate the effects of exposure to air pollution by NO(x) and SO(2) on the development of pulmonary function of children, characterized by different health status...
- Stone Age hut in Israel yields world's oldest evidence of bedding
Zinman Institute of Archaeology, University of Haifa, Haifa 31905, Israel
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:6821-6. 2004
..previously submerged, excellently preserved 23,000-year-old fisher-hunter-gatherers' camp of Ohalo II, situated in Israel on the shore of the Sea of Galilee...
- Is terror gender-blind? Gender differences in reaction to terror events
Bob Shappel School of Social Work, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Tel Aviv, 69978, Israel
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 40:947-54. 2005
..In addition, the contribution of level of exposure, sense of safety, self-efficacy, and coping strategies is assessed...
- Suicide attempts in israel: age by gender analysis of a national emergency departments database
Mental Health Services, Ministry of Health, 2 Ben Tabai St, Jerusalem, Israel
Suicide Life Threat Behav 36:97-102. 2006
An analysis of all emergency department admissions in Israel classified as an attempted suicide in the years 1996-2002 was done to examine attempted suicide rates by age and gender with particular attention to adolescents and young adults...
- Plasmid-mediated imipenem-hydrolyzing enzyme KPC-2 among multiple carbapenem-resistant Escherichia coli clones in Israel
Division of Epidemiology, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:3098-101. 2006
..This is the first discovery of KPC-2 in E. coli and the first report of this enzyme originating outside the United States...
- Macrolide, lincosamide and tetracycline susceptibility and emm characterisation of invasive Streptococcus pyogenes isolates in Israel
Department of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, P O Box 12000, Jerusalem, Israel
Int J Antimicrob Agents 28:313-9. 2006
..resistance and associated factors in a nationwide, prospective, population-based study of invasive infections in Israel. Isolates were collected in collaboration with 24 hospitals in Israel during 1996-1999...
- Characterization of HPSE gene single nucleotide polymorphisms in Jewish populations of Israel
Laboratory of Molecular Immunobiology, Department of Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Acta Haematol 117:57-64. 2007
..This information is obligatory for further studies on the linkage between these SNPs and heparanase expression and function in various pathological processes, primarily cancer progression...
- Dissemination of the CTX-M-25 family beta-lactamases among Klebsiella pneumoniae, Escherichia coli and Enterobacter cloacae and identification of the novel enzyme CTX-M-41 in Proteus mirabilis in Israel
Division of Epidemiology, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
J Antimicrob Chemother 62:289-95. 2008
..We aimed to describe the occurrence and to understand the dissemination of this extended-spectrum beta-lactamase family among Enterobacteriaceae strains in our hospital...
- Scorpion biodiversity and interslope divergence at "evolution canyon", lower Nahal Oren microsite, Mt. Carmel, Israel
Department of Evolutionary and Environmental Biology, University of Haifa, Haifa, Israel
PLoS ONE 4:e5214. 2009
..Scorpions are a suitable taxon to study interslope biodiversity differences, associated with the differences in abiotic factors (climate, drought), due to their ability to adapt to dry environments...
- Prevalence and relevance of EBV latency in nasopharyngeal carcinoma in Israel
Department of Oncology, Rambam Medical Centre, PO Box 9602, Haifa 31096, Israel
J Clin Pathol 57:290-3. 2004
..The incidence of NPC in Western countries is lower than in the Far East, and EBV latency in NPC is less prevalent. Israel, as a part of the Mediterranean area, is one of the countries with an intermediate risk for NPC.
- Adaptation and incipient sympatric speciation of Bacillus simplex under microclimatic contrast at "Evolution Canyons" I and II, Israel
Institute of Evolution, International Graduate Center of Evolution, University of Haifa, Haifa 31905, Israel
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:15924-9. 2005
..microevolutionary analyses on 945 soil isolates of Bacillus simplex from "Evolution Canyons" I (Carmel, Israel) and II (Galilee, Israel)...
- Patterns of thermal adaptation of Bacillus simplex to the microclimatically contrasting slopes of 'Evolution Canyons' I and II, Israel
Carl von Ossietzky University Oldenburg, Faculty V, Institute of Biology and Environmental Sciences, Genetics Section, Oldenburg, Germany
Environ Microbiol 9:716-26. 2007
..Exploring the adaptive evolution of Bacillus simplex at 'Evolution Canyons' I and II, Israel, we report here on the impact of high heat stress on the speciation progress of individual evolutionary lineages...
- Mosquito vectors of West Nile Fever in Israel
Laboratory of Entomology, Central Laboratories, Ministry of Health, Yaakov Eliav St, 9 Jerusalem 94467, P O Box 34410, Jerusalem 91342, Israel
J Med Entomol 45:939-47. 2008
West Nile fever (WNF) is endemic in Israel. In 1999, country-wide adult mosquito surveys were initiated and intensified after the 2000 country-wide outbreak of WNF in humans...
- First report on a hyperepidemic clone of KPC-3-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae in Israel genetically related to a strain causing outbreaks in the United States
Division of Epidemiology, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Israel
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:818-20. 2009
A highly epidemic carbapenem-resistant clone of KPC-3-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae emerged in Israel in 2006, causing a nationwide outbreak...
- Cooperative hunting and meat sharing 400-200 kya at Qesem Cave, Israel
Mary C Stiner
School of Anthropology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721 0030, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:13207-12. 2009
Zooarchaeological research at Qesem Cave, Israel demonstrates that large-game hunting was a regular practice by the late Lower Paleolithic period...
- Self-medication with antibiotics by a population in northern Israel
Infectious Diseases Unit, Haemek Medical Center, Afula, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 7:722-5. 2005
The current study is part of a larger study--Self-Medication with Antibiotics and Resistance Levels in Europe (SAR project)--coordinated by the University of Groningen in the Netherlands and run in 19 European countries and Israel.
- Medical and psychosocial outcome of patients with occupational contact dermatitis in Israel
Contact Dermatitis Clinic, Meir Hospital and the Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 20:1061-5. 2006
..Although the medical, financial and prognostic factors of occupational contact dermatitis (OCD) have been addressed, studies on the social outcome of OCD are sparse...
- Attitudes of Arab and Jewish patients toward integration of complementary medicine in primary care clinics in Israel: a cross-cultural study
Complementary and Traditional Medicine Unit, Department of Family Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Soc Sci Med 68:177-82. 2009
..concerning the core concepts of CAM and traditional medicine in both the Arab and Jewish communities in northern Israel. Data for statistical analysis were obtained from 3840 patients attending seven primary care clinics...
- Spatial organization of hominin activities at Gesher Benot Ya'aqov, Israel
Institute of Archaeology, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Mount Scopus, Jerusalem 91905, Israel
Science 326:1677-80. 2009
..of a Middle Pleistocene Acheulian archaeological horizon (about 750,000 years ago) at Gesher Benot Ya'aqov, Israel, indicate that hominins differentiated their activities (stone knapping, tool use, floral and faunal processing ..
- Social network type and morale in old age
Paul Baerwald School of Social Work, The Hebrew University, Mount Scopus, 91905 IL, Jerusalem, Israel
Gerontologist 41:516-24. 2001
..The aim of this research was to derive network types among an elderly population and to examine the relationship of network type to morale...
- Prevalence of the genes for shigella enterotoxins 1 and 2 among clinical isolates of shigella in Israel
Army Health Branch Research Unit, Medical Corps, Israel Defense Force
Epidemiol Infect 128:533-5. 2002
..of 13 different serotypes and variants and 10 isolates of enteroinvasive Escherichia coli (EIEC) isolated in Israel, were examined by polymerase chain reaction for the presence of SHET1 and SHET2 genes...
- Clinical signs of West Nile virus encephalomyelitis in horses during the outbreak in Israel in 2000
School of Veterinary Medicine, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot, Israel
Vet Rec 151:47-9. 2002
..It died on the fourth day and histological lesions were observed in the brain stem and grey matter of the spinal cord...
- Evaluation of a multiplex real-time reverse transcriptase PCR assay for detection and differentiation of influenza viruses A and B during the 2001-2002 influenza season in Israel
Central Virology Laboratory, Public Health Services, Ministry of Health, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer 52621, Israel
J Clin Microbiol 43:589-95. 2005
..differentiate influenza viruses A and B in 370 patient samples collected during the 2001-2002 influenza season in Israel. The performance of the TaqMan assay was compared to those of a multiplex one-step RT-PCR with gel detection, a ..
- Uveal melanoma in Israel in the last two decades: characterization, treatment and prognosis
Department of Ophthalmology, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 11:280-5. 2009
..Uveal melanoma is the most common primary intraocular tumor in adults. In the last two decades the Hadassah-Hebrew University Medical Center ocular oncology clinic has become a referral center for uveal melanoma patients...
- An assessment of the dental health of chronic institutionalized patients with psychiatric disease in Israel
Shlomo Paul Zusman
Ministry of Health, Dental Health Division, Jerusalem, Israel
Spec Care Dentist 30:18-22. 2010
..assessed the oral health and treatment needs of chronically hospitalized patients with psychiatric disease in Israel. A random sample of 301 patients hospitalized for more than 1 year in 14 of 18 psychiatric institutions in Israel ..
- Ashkenazi Jewish population frequencies for common mutations in BRCA1 and BRCA2
B B Roa
Baylor DNA Diagnostic Laboratory, Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Nat Genet 14:185-7. 1996
- Retrospective study of 46 cases of feline haemobartonellosis in Israel and their relationships with FeLV and FIV infections
School of Veterinary Medicine, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot, Israel
Vet Rec 151:82-5. 2002
..The cats infected with both Haemobartonella felis and FeLV had a significantly lower body temperature, were more anaemic and the mean cell volume of their erythrocytes was greater than in the cats with haemobartonellosis alone...
- Health inequalities in Israel: explanatory factors of socio-economic inequalities in self-rated health and limiting longstanding illness
The Louis and Gabi Weisfeld School of Social Work, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel
Health Place 16:242-51. 2010
..psychosocial, community and behavioral factors as explanatory pathways to socio-economic inequalities in health in Israel. Using a random national sample of 1328 individuals aged 30-70 and measurements of socio-economic position (..
- Persistence of two invasive Streptococcus pneumoniae clones of serotypes 1 and 5 in comparison to that of multiple clones of serotypes 6B and 23F among children in southern Israel
Pediatric Infectious Disease Unit, Soroka University Medical Center, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel 84101
J Clin Microbiol 39:1827-32. 2001
..In contrast, serotype 6B and 23F strains showed different phenotypic characteristics as well as multiple clonal types; 10 clones were identified among 6B isolates, and 11 clones were identified among 23F isolates...
- Bacteremia due to beta-hemolytic Streptococcus group G: increasing incidence and clinical characteristics of patients
Infectious Diseases Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, Shaare Zedek Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Am J Med 112:622-6. 2002
To describe the epidemiology and clinical characteristics of patients diagnosed with Streptococcus group G bacteremia from 1990 to 1999 at a community teaching hospital in Israel.
- Complications of circumcision in Israel: a one year multicenter survey
Jacob Ben Chaim
Pediatric Urology Unit, Dana Children s Hospital, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 7:368-70. 2005
In Israel, virtually all children undergo circumcision in the neonatal period...
- Beliefs, recommendations and intentions are important explanatory factors of mammography screening behavior among Muslim Arab women in Israel
School of Social Work, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan 52900, Israel
Health Educ Res 22:665-76. 2007
The rates of mammography screening by Muslim Arab women in Israel are lower compared with the general population...
- Evidence for habitual use of fire at the end of the Lower Paleolithic: site-formation processes at Qesem Cave, Israel
Ephoreia of Palaeoanthropology Speleology of Southern Greece, Ardittou 34b, 11636 Athens, Greece
J Hum Evol 53:197-212. 2007
The Amudian (late Lower Paleolithic) site of Qesem Cave in Israel represents one of the earliest examples of habitual use of fire by middle Pleistocene hominids...
- Risk of cancer in migrants and their descendants in Israel: II. Carcinomas and germ-cell tumours
D M Parkin
International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Int J Cancer 70:654-60. 1997
..under age 30 years) for a 30-year period (1960-1989) were used to investigate the risk of cancer in migrants to Israel, and in their offspring, relative to Israel-born individuals with Israel-born parents...
- Molecular evolution of cytochrome b of subterranean mole rats, Spalax ehrenbergi superspecies, in Israel
Institute of Evolution, University of Haifa, Haifa 31905, Israel
J Mol Evol 49:215-26. 1999
..a different population from the entire ecological and speciational range of the four chromosomal species in Israel (2n = 52, 54, 58, and 60) belonging to the Spalax ehrenbergi superspecies. Our results indicate the following...
- Use of complementary and alternative medicine in Israel: 2000 vs. 1993
Hebrew University School of Public Health, Jerusalem, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 6:3-8. 2004
..Complementary and alternative medical care has gained increasing popularity in western societies in recent years...
- Birth weight standards in the live-born population in Israel
Department of Neonatology, Lis Maternity Hospital, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 7:311-4. 2005
Lacking curves of "intrauterine" growth, most birthing centers in Israel use United States or Canadian based curves as standards.
- Smoking habits in bipolar and schizophrenic outpatients in southern Israel
Beer Sheva Mental Health Center, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel
J Clin Psychiatry 62:269-72. 2001
..using DSM-IV criteria) treated at the largest specialized public bipolar and schizophrenia clinics in southern Israel were interviewed regarding their smoking habits...
- Fragmentation of care for frail older people--an international problem. Experience from three countries: Israel, Canada, and the United States
A M Clarfield
Division of Geriatrics, Herzog Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
J Am Geriatr Soc 49:1714-21. 2001
..At the other stands the United States, where market forces are allowed the freest rein in any developed nation. Israel offers an intermediate model with elements held in common with both the U.S. and Canadian systems...
- Presence of the d8/17 B-cell marker in children with rheumatic fever in Israel
Department of Pediatrics C, Schneider Children s Medical Center of Israel, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Petach Tikvah, Israel
Clin Genet 61:293-8. 2002
..The aim of the present study was to evaluate whether the marker is found in patients with RF in Israel, where the population is made up of diverse ethnic groups...
- Climatic effects on microsatellite diversity in wild emmer wheat (Triticum dicoccoides) at the Yehudiyya microsite, Israel
Y C Li
Institute of Evolution, University of Haifa, Mount Carmel, Haifa 31905, Israel
Heredity (Edinb) 89:127-32. 2002
..plants of wild emmer wheat, Triticum dicoccoides, from a microsite in Yehudiyya, northeast of the Sea of Galilee, Israel. The study area was less than 1000 m(2) and involved 12 paired plots distributed in a mosaic pattern...
- Knowledge of physicians in hospital emergency rooms in Israel on their role in cases of avulsion of permanent incisors
The Hebrew University Hadassah School of Dental Medicine, Jerusalem, Israel
Int J Paediatr Dent 13:13-9. 2003
..The purpose of this study was to assess the knowledge of physicians in hospital emergency room care on their possible role in cases of traumatic loss of permanent incisors...
- Intra-familial clinical heterogeneity: absence of genotype-phenotype correlation in primary hyperoxaluria type 1 in Israel
Division of Pediatric Nephrology, Shaare Zedek Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Am J Nephrol 25:269-75. 2005
..The aim of this study was to investigate possible relationships between a given genotype, the biochemical profile and the clinical phenotype...
- Middle Paleolithic shell beads in Israel and Algeria
Centre for the Evolution of Cultural Diversity, University College London, 31 34 Gordon Square, London WC1H OPY, UK Ethnologie Préhistorique, CNRS UMR 7041, 21 Allée de l Université, F 92023 Nanterre, France
Science 312:1785-8. 2006
- Do welfare regimes mediate the effect of socioeconomic position on health in adolescence? A Cross-national comparison in Europe, North America, and Israel
Dipartimento di Sanita Pubblica, Universita di Torino, Italy
Int J Health Serv 36:309-29. 2006
..Analyses were carried out for Israel and 32 countries of Europe and North America...
- Distinct transmission cycles of Leishmania tropica in 2 adjacent foci, Northern Israel
Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Emerg Infect Dis 12:1860-8. 2006
Transmission of Leishmania tropica was studied in 2 adjacent foci in Israel where vector populations differ. Only Phlebotomus sergenti was found infected with L. tropica in the southern focus; P...
- Trajectories of resilience, resistance, and distress during ongoing terrorism: the case of Jews and Arabs in Israel
Stevan E Hobfoll
Department of Behavioral Sciences, Rush Medical College, 1653 West Congress Parkway, Chicago, IL 60612 3244, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 77:138-48. 2009
..The authors interviewed a nationally representative sample of Jews and Arabs in Israel (N = 709) at 2 times during a period of terrorist and rocket attacks (2004-2005)...
- Advancing paternal age and the risk of schizophrenia
New York State Psychiatric Institute, 1051 Riverside Dr, New York, NY 10032, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 58:361-7. 2001
..A major source of new mutations in humans is the male germ line, with mutation rates monotonically increasing as father's age at conception advances, possibly because of accumulating replication errors in spermatogonial cell lines...
- Pulmonary carcinoid: presentation, diagnosis, and outcome in 142 cases in Israel and review of 640 cases from the literature
Pulmonology Institute, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Campus, Petah Tiqva
Chest 119:1647-51. 2001
OBJECTIVE: To determine the characteristic features and outcome of pulmonary carcinoid tumors in Israel. METHODS: Retrospective analysis of the clinicopathologic data and outcome of patients from four major hospitals in Israel in the last ..
- Ethnopharmacological survey of medicinal herbs in Israel, the Golan Heights and the West Bank region
Research and Development Regional Centre, The Galilee Society, P O Box 437, Shefa Amr 20200, Israel
J Ethnopharmacol 83:251-65. 2002
..ethnopharmacological survey was conducted among the most well known Arabic indigenous herbal practitioners in Israel, the Golan Heights and the West Bank in order to evaluate the potential of local plants used in treating different ..