Genomes and Genes
republic of korea
Summary: The capital is Seoul. The country, established September 9, 1948, is located on the southern part of the Korean Peninsula. Its northern border is shared with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
- Yang Y, Bang C, Shin S, Baik G. Clinical impact of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease on the occurrence of colorectal neoplasm: Propensity score matching analysis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182014 pubmed publisher..NAFLD may be considered for the determination of the time-interval for surveillance colonoscopy, especially the patients with negative index colonoscopy findings. ..
- Lee H, Kim D, Lee S, Park S, Yoon J, Seong C, et al. Reyranella terrae sp. nov., isolated from an agricultural soil, and emended description of the genus Reyranella. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:2031-2035 pubmed publisher..On the basis of data presented, strain 11G32T is considered to represent a novel species of the genus Reyranella, for which the name Reyranella terrae sp. nov. is proposed. The type strain is 11G32T (=KACC 18486T=NBRC 111476T)...
- Lee S, Ahn K. A taxonomic review of the Korean species of the subgenus Datomicra Mulsant & Rey of the genus Atheta Thomson, with description of a new species (Coleoptera, Staphylinidae, Aleocharinae). Zootaxa. 2017;4268:508-522 pubmed publisher..D.) celata (Erichson)] to South Korea. A key, descriptions, habitus photographs and illustrations of the diagnostic characters of the new species and two newly recorded species are provided. ..
- Hong K, Kwon S, Lee S, Lee J, Kim Y, Song T, et al. Rivaroxaban vs Warfarin Sodium in the Ultra-Early Period After Atrial Fibrillation-Related Mild Ischemic Stroke: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Neurol. 2017;74:1206-1215 pubmed publisher..In atrial fibrillation (AF)-related acute ischemic stroke, the optimal oral anticoagulation strategy remains unclear...
- Ahn J, Lee K, Chung J, Shin K, Lee C, Kim H, et al. Clinical characteristics and prognostic risk factors of healthcare-associated pneumonia in a Korean tertiary teaching hospital. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e8243 pubmed publisher..However, CAP-DRPs and IIAT were not associated with mortality. PSI was the main predictive factor for 28-day mortality in patients with HCAP...
- Noh J, Lim S, Song J, Choi W, Jeong H, Heo J, et al. Interim estimates of the effectiveness of the influenza vaccine against A(H3N2) influenza in adults in South Korea, 2016-2017 season. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178010 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, interim VE analysis presented that the protection of laboratory-confirmed influenza by seasonal influenza vaccination did not show the statistical significance in South Korea in the 2016-2017 influenza season. ..
- Cho S, Jung S, Hong S, Lee E, Lee J, Lee S, et al. Independent validation of DNA-based approaches for age prediction in blood. Forensic Sci Int Genet. 2017;29:250-256 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates the usefulness of the proposed markers and the genotyping method in an independent dataset, and suggests the possibility of combining different types of DNA markers to improve prediction accuracy. ..
- Park J, Chung S, Lee J, Sung J, Cho S, Sim C. Noise sensitivity, rather than noise level, predicts the non-auditory effects of noise in community samples: a population-based survey. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:315 pubmed publisher..NS increases the susceptibility and hence moderates there actions of individuals to noise. NS, rather than noise itself, is associated with an elevated susceptibility to non-auditory effects. ..
- Sung S, Song S, Kang K, Park J, Nam Y, Shin Y, et al. Sequence variations of the EGR4 gene in Korean men with spermatogenesis impairment. BMC Med Genet. 2017;18:47 pubmed publisher..However, our findings did not clearly explain how nonsynonymous EGR4 variations affect spermatogenesis. Therefore, further studies are required to validate the functional impact of EGR4 variations on spermatogenesis. ..
- Kim N, Hong S, Shin K, Shim W. Imposex in Reishia clavigera as an Indicator to Assess Recovery of TBT Pollution After a Total Ban in South Korea. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 2017;73:301-309 pubmed publisher..However, the current low exposure level in the study area is still sufficient to cause imposex in R. clavigera. More time is needed to reduce the TBT levels to levels that do not have adverse biological effects on R. clavigera. ..
- Jang H, Lee N. Patient safety competency and educational needs of nursing educators in South Korea. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183536 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the findings have revealed the importance of effective communication between clinical and academic settings in making patient safety education seamless. ..
- Subhash Y, Lee S. Description of Oceanispirochaeta sediminicola gen. nov., sp. nov., an obligately anaerobic bacterium isolated from coastal marine sediments, and reclassification of Spirochaeta litoralis as Oceanispirochaeta litoralis comb. nov. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:3403-3409 pubmed publisher..nov., sp. nov. is proposed. The type strain is SY2T (=KEMB 3001-381T=DSM 104770T=KCTC 15593T). Reclassification of Spirochaeta litoralis as Oceanispirochaeta litoralis comb. nov. is also proposed based on polyphasic taxonomic analyses...
- Lee J, Chung B, Lee S, Kim S, Koh H, Lee C. Lower incidence of contrast-induced nephropathy in patients undergoing fluorescent angiography. BMC Ophthalmol. 2017;17:46 pubmed publisher..53?±?1.60 mg/dL; p?=?0.04). Basline SCr and cormorbidities did not predict CIN development. Acute renal function deterioration was not evident in patients undergoing FA regardless of baseline renal function and comorbidities. ..
- Oh K, Song A, Sok S. Effects of Aroma Gargling, Cold Water Gargling, and Wet Gauze Application on Thirst, Halitosis, and Sore Throat of Patients After Spine Surgery. Holist Nurs Pract. 2017;31:253-259 pubmed publisher..Results suggest, therefore, that health professionals should consider an array of methods including aroma gargling for patients after spine surgery. ..
- Lee E. Longitudinal Outcomes of Home Care in Korea to Manage Pressure Ulcers. Res Nurs Health. 2017;40:255-262 pubmed publisher..PrUs were a serious problem in this community-dwelling economically vulnerable group, and home care played a critical role in providing health care to this population. © 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Yang K, Yu C, Lee J, Kim C, Yoon Y, Park I, et al. The long-term outcomes of recurrent adhesive small bowel obstruction after colorectal cancer surgery favor surgical management. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e8316 pubmed publisher..Operative management should be considered for recurrent SBO. ..
- Kim S, Park J, Lee J, Heo E, Kim D, Chung H. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is independently associated with hypertension in men: A survey design analysis using nationwide survey data. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e6826 pubmed publisher..COPD is independently associated with hypertension, and this could explain the link between the risk of cardiovascular diseases and COPD. ..
- Jeong H, Baek S, Kim S, Eun Y, Kim I, Lee J, et al. Comorbidities and health-related quality of life in Koreans with knee osteoarthritis: Data from the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES). PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186141 pubmed publisher..This study aimed to evaluate the association of knee osteoarthritis (OA) with comorbidities and health-related quality of life (HRQOL)...
- Yun J, Lee J, Kim P, Jung M, Bae J. Paenibacillus apis sp. nov. and Paenibacillus intestini sp. nov., isolated from the intestine of the honey bee Apis mellifera. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:1918-1924 pubmed publisher..nov. and Paenibacillus intestini sp. nov. are proposed, with CBM1T (=KCTC 33844T=JCM 31620T) and LAH16T (=KCTC 33832T=JCM 31621T) as the type strains, respectively. ..
- Sinn D, Min Y, Son H, Rhee P, Paik S, Hong S, et al. Metabolically-healthy obesity is associated with higher prevalence of colorectal adenoma. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179480 pubmed publisher..31-2.04) and 1.53 (1.14-2.04), respectively]. The MHO phenotype was closely associated with higher prevalence of CRA, including high-risk adenoma. This finding supports the conclusion that MHO increases the risk of colorectal cancer. ..
- Seo M, Ouh I, Lee S, Kim J, Rhee M, Kwon O, et al. Prevalence of Coxiella burnetii in cattle at South Korean national breeding stock farms. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177478 pubmed publisher..burnetii in South Korea. Thus, continuous surveillance and control strategies in animals and humans are required to prevent the transmission of C. burnetii to humans. ..
- Kang E, Lee K, Choi W, Kim Y, Shin K, Lim J, et al. Left Ventricular Functional Parameters and Geometric Patterns in Korean Adults on Coronary CT Angiography with a 320-Detector-Row CT Scanner. Korean J Radiol. 2017;18:664-673 pubmed publisher..079). Most of the LV parameters were positively correlated with BSA, body weight, and total Agatston score. This study provides sex-related reference values and percentiles for LV on cardiac CT and should assist in interpreting results. ..
- Song S, Yang P, Kim T, Uhm J, Pak H, Lee M, et al. Relation of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease to Cardiovascular Disease in the General Population. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1399-1404 pubmed publisher..001). In conclusion, COPD was associated with all-cause mortality, but not with cardiovascular mortality and SCD, whereas poor pulmonary function was associated with a heightened cardiovascular risk. ..
- Noh Y, Yoon Y. Elderly road collision injury outcomes associated with seat positions and seatbelt use in a rapidly aging society-A case study in South Korea. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183043 pubmed publisher..Our results provide practical evidence with which to formulate new safety policies, including mandatory seatbelt use, driving age limits and insurance pricing. ..
- Kim J, Lee S, Loesch C, Namgoong K, Lee H, Hong S. Comparison of levetiracetam and oxcarbazepine monotherapy among Korean patients with newly diagnosed focal epilepsy: A long-term, randomized, open-label trial. Epilepsia. 2017;58:e70-e74 pubmed publisher..By comparing LEV with OXC, another newer AED, LEV can be considered a useful option as initial monotherapy for patients with newly diagnosed focal epilepsy. ..
- Choi J, Lee B, Heo S, Kim G, Kim Y, Kim D, et al. Clinical characteristics and mutation spectrum of GLA in Korean patients with Fabry disease by a nationwide survey: Underdiagnosis of late-onset phenotype. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7387 pubmed publisher..Most of the patients had classical Fabry disease, with a 4 times higher incidence than that of late-onset Fabry disease, indicating an underdiagnosis of mild, late-onset Fabry disease. ..
- Jhee J, Lee E, Cha M, Lee M, Kim H, Park S, et al. Prevalence of depression and suicidal ideation increases proportionally with renal function decline, beginning from early stages of chronic kidney disease. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e8476 pubmed publisher..Therefore, evaluation and management strategies regarding mental health problems should be taken into account throughout all stages of CKD...
- Kim J, Choi Kwon S, Park Y. Comparison of inflight first aid performed by cabin crew members and medical volunteers. J Travel Med. 2017;24: pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the assessment of unconsciousness and potentially critical respiratory symptoms is very important for cabin crew members because those conditions can lead to inflight deaths and aircraft diversion. ..
- Lee J, Kang J, Shin S, Seong C. Winogradskyella flava sp. nov., isolated from the brown alga, Sargassum fulvellum. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:3540-3546 pubmed publisher..bacterium, designated strain SFD31T, was isolated from brown alga collected from the South Sea, Republic of Korea. Cells were Gram-stain-negative, and catalase- and oxidase-positive...
- VanBik D, Lee S, Seo M, Jeon B, Goo Y, Park S, et al. Borrelia Species Detected in Ticks Feeding on Wild Korean Water Deer (Hydropotes inermis) Using Molecular and Genotypic Analyses. J Med Entomol. 2017;54:1397-1402 pubmed publisher..Because B. afzelii is a zoonotic tick-borne pathogen, understanding the molecular characteristics of this bacterium is important for preventing the transmission of Borrelia from ticks to other animals and humans. ..
- Kim S, Lee S, Nam T, Seo D, Yoo M. Comparison of a Newly Developed Liquid Chromatography with Tandem Mass Spectrometry Method and Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay for Detection of Multiple Mycotoxins in Red Pepper Powder. J Food Prot. 2017;80:1347-1354 pubmed publisher..05). Therefore, our developed LC-MS/MS with QuEChERS approach for determination of multiple mycotoxins may be useful for controlling the quality and safety of red pepper powder. ..
- Choi B, Jeong W, Kim S, Lee S. Impact of obesity on the short-term outcomes of single-port laparoscopic colectomy for colorectal cancer in the Asian population: A retrospective cohort study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e6649 pubmed publisher..Hence, SPLS can be safely recommended for colorectal cancer in obese patients if the surgeon is experienced. Nevertheless, the technique used warrants further investigation, and a large-scale prospective study is required...
- Han S, Kim D, Kim S, Chin H, Chae D, Na K. C-Reactive Protein Predicts Acute Kidney Injury and Death After Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:804-810 pubmed publisher..27 to 2.08) than the first tertile group. This predictability for mortality remained consistent regardless of the presence of AKI. Preoperative CRP level is a predictor of postoperative AKI and mortality in patients undergoing CABG. ..
- Han J, Oh J, Rhim J, Lee K. Correlation between elevated platelet count and immunoglobulin levels in the early convalescent stage of Kawasaki disease. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7583 pubmed publisher..This finding suggests that all Ig subtypes except IgE and platelets may be involved in the recovery from KD and that the extent of increased parameters may reflect the degree of systemic inflammation in acute KD. ..
- Ihm J, An S, Seo D. Do Dental Students' Personality Types and Group Dynamics Affect Their Performance in Problem-Based Learning?. J Dent Educ. 2017;81:744-751 pubmed publisher..Personality analysis would be beneficial for dental faculty members in order for them to understand the extent to which cooperative learning would work smoothly, especially when considering group personalities. ..
- Cho H, Kim J. Prevalence of microalbuminuria and its associated cardiometabolic risk factors in Korean youth: Data from the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178716 pubmed publisher..Especially Hemoglobin A1c was associated with microalbuminuria in youths regardless of weight status. Microalbuminuria in pediatric population can be a helpful marker for the risk of cardiovascular disease. ..
- Kim Y, Yoon D, Park S, Han S, Kim D, Lee K, et al. Dipeptidyl Peptidase-4 Inhibitors and Risk of Heart Failure in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Population-Based Cohort Study. Circ Heart Fail. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..In addition, the risks for cardiovascular outcomes were not elevated in DPP-4i-treated patients compared with sulfonylurea-treated patients. ..
- Jeong S, Kim K, Baek K, Jeon C. Parasphingopyxis algicola sp. nov., isolated from a marine red alga Asparagopsis taxiformis and emended description of the genus Parasphingopyxis Uchida et al. 2012. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:3877-3881 pubmed publisher..nov. is proposed. The type strain is ATAX6-5T (=KACC 18993T=JCM 31719T). An emended description of the genus Parasphingopyxis is also proposed. ..
- Park K, Park J. The Efficacy of a Viscoelastic Foam Overlay on Prevention of Pressure Injury in Acutely Ill Patients: A Prospective Randomized Controlled Trial. J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs. 2017;44:440-444 pubmed publisher..Additional research is needed to further characterize the efficacy of the VEFO, its effect on PI healing, and its effect of PI prevention in high-risk populations such as critically ill patients. ..
- Choi K, Thomas R, Kim J, Lee S, Yoon D, Shin C. Overlap syndrome of COPD and OSA in Koreans. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7241 pubmed publisher..Although BMI is a well-known risk factor of OSA, it is likely that being overweight may be protective for moderate-to-severe OSA patients from the risk of COPD (i.e., overlap syndrome). ..
- Hwang K, Eom S, Lee S, Kim S, Cho M, Kim Y, et al. Atrial Fibrillation on Admission Is Related With Higher Mortality in ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction Patients. Int Heart J. 2017;58:486-494 pubmed publisher..001) at 1 year after admission compared patients with NSR. AF induced significantly higher all-cause mortality and cardiac mortality rate in STEMI patients who were appropriately revascularized with primary PCI compared to NSR at 1 year. ..
- Choi H, Lee J, Yu S, Cha D, Gee H, Choi J, et al. Whole-exome sequencing identified a missense mutation in WFS1 causing low-frequency hearing loss: a case report. BMC Med Genet. 2017;18:151 pubmed publisher..Given that the mutation was found in independent families, p.S807R possibly appears to be a "hot spot" in WFS1, which is associated with LF-NSHL. ..
- Kang S, Kim J, Moon H, Lee E, Kim S, Sung J, et al. Signet ring cell carcinoma of early gastric cancer, is endoscopic treatment really risky?. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7532 pubmed publisher..Compared with differentiated cancer, OR of SRC was 1.969 (P?=?.172).Our results show that SRC is not more aggressive than differentiated cancer. SRC may be considered a candidate for endoscopic treatment...
- Lee D, Koo J, Kang S, Kim S, Hyun J, Jung S, et al. Association between bowel habits and quality of bowel preparation for colonoscopy. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7319 pubmed publisher..When subdividing by colonic segment, it was significantly associated with poor bowel preparation in all segments.Infrequent bowel movement (<3/week) was significantly associated with poor bowel preparation. ..
- Cho Y, Kim T, Seong J. Improved oncologic outcome with chemoradiotherapy followed by surgery in unresectable intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. Strahlenther Onkol. 2017;193:620-629 pubmed publisher..Higher radiotherapy doses and gemcitabine-based chemotherapy yielded a significant reduction of CA19-9 after CRT; patients with these characteristics had a greater chance of curative resection and improved OS. ..
- Kang H, Kim S, Lee G, Lim H, Yun S, Kim J. Perception Gaps on Food Additives among Various Groups in Korea: Food Experts, Teachers, Nutrition Teachers, Nongovernmental Organization Members, and General Consumers. J Food Prot. 2017;80:1015-1021 pubmed publisher..Based on the findings in this study, it will be possible to develop a strategy for risk communication about food additives for each group. ..
- Jung S, Kim J, Kim J, Hong D, Park D. An estimation of vehicle kilometer traveled and on-road emissions using the traffic volume and travel speed on road links in Incheon City. J Environ Sci (China). 2017;54:90-100 pubmed publisher..Our findings support the estimation of the effect of on-road emissions on urban air quality in Korea. ..
- Kim B, Hyung J, Yoo C, Kim K, Park S, Lee S, et al. Prognostic factors in patients with advanced biliary tract cancer treated with first-line gemcitabine plus cisplatin: retrospective analysis of 740 patients. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2017;80:209-215 pubmed publisher..The prognostic factors identified here may help to predict clinical outcomes and design future clinical trials for advanced BTC. ..
- Hyeon J, Kim K, Son A, Choi E, Lee S, Jeon C. Novosphingobium humi sp. nov., isolated from soil of a military shooting range. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:3083-3088 pubmed publisher..strictly aerobic bacterium, designated R1-4T, was isolated from soil from a military shooting range in the Republic of Korea. Cells were non-motile short rods, oxidase-positive and catalase-negative...
- Kim B, Choi H, Ki M, Kim K, Jang E, Jeong S. Population-based prevalence, incidence, and disease burden of autoimmune hepatitis in South Korea. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182391 pubmed publisher..This is the first report on the nationwide epidemiology of AIH in Korea, and it showed a lower prevalence than that of Western countries with considerable disease burden. ..
- Kim S, Hong S, Kim J. Feasibility of the Korean-Advance Directives Among Community-Dwelling Elderly Persons. Holist Nurs Pract. 2017;31:234-242 pubmed publisher..These data support the K-AD as being applicable and acceptable among community-dwelling elderly persons; awareness of the K-AD in the community setting may facilitate future application when the need occurs. ..