Genomes and Genes
Summary: The collective designation of three organizations with common membership: the European Economic Community (Common Market), the European Coal and Steel Community, and the European Atomic Energy Community (Euratom). It was known as the European Community until 1994. It is primarily an economic union with the principal objectives of free movement of goods, capital, and labor. Professional services, social, medical and paramedical, are subsumed under labor. The constituent countries are Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. (The World Almanac and Book of Facts 1997, p842)
Publications281 found, 100 shown here
- Economic burden of cardiovascular diseases in the enlarged European UnionJose Leal
Department of Public Health, Health Economics Research Centre, Oxford University, Old Road Campus, Oxford OX3 7LF, UK
Eur Heart J 27:1610-9. 2006..heart disease (CHD), and cerebrovascular diseases, is the main source of morbidity and mortality in the European Union (EU), but to date, there has not been any systematic cost-of-illness study to assess the economic impact of ..
- The prevalence, correlates and treatment of pain in the European UnionP C Langley
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 27:463-80. 2011..To report on the results of a recent large-scale, internet-based survey of the population, prevalence and attributes of pain experience in the United Kingdom (UK), France, Spain, Germany and Italy...
- Trends in age-specific coronary heart disease mortality in the European Union over three decades: 1980-2009Melanie Nichols
British Heart Foundation Health Promotion Research Group, Department of Public Health, University of Oxford, Oxford OX3 7LF, UK
Eur Heart J 34:3017-27. 2013..The aim of this study was to examine sex-specific trends in CHD mortality between 1980 and 2009 in the European Union (EU) and compare trends between adult age groups.
- Inequalities in healthy life years in the 25 countries of the European Union in 2005: a cross-national meta-regression analysisCarol Jagger
Department of Health Sciences, University of Leicester, Leicester, UK
Lancet 372:2124-31. 2008Although life expectancy in the European Union (EU) is increasing, whether most of these extra years are spent in good health is unclear...
- European union standards for tuberculosis careG B Migliori
WHO Collaborating Centre for TB and Lung Diseases, Fondazione S Maugeri, Care and Research Institute, via Roncaccio 16, 21049 Tradate, Italy
Eur Respir J 39:807-19. 2012..Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) and the European Respiratory Society (ERS) jointly developed European Union Standards for Tuberculosis Care (ESTC) aimed at providing European Union (EU)-tailored standards for the ..
- Ageing in the European UnionBernd Rechel
European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Lancet 381:1312-22. 2013..Ageing of the health workforce is another challenge, and policies will need to be pursued that meet the particular needs of older workers (ie, those aged 50 years or older) while recruiting young practitioners...
- Burden of rotavirus disease in European Union countriesMontse Soriano-Gabarro
GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals, Rixensart, Belgium
Pediatr Infect Dis J 25:S7-S11. 2006Two new rotavirus vaccines are expected to be introduced in the European Union (EU) in coming years...
- Modeling the impact of alcohol dependence on mortality burden and the effect of available treatment interventions in the European UnionJ Rehm
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health CAMH, 33 Russell Street, Toronto, ON M5S 2S1, Canada
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 23:89-97. 2013..Increasing treatment rates for AD was identified as an important issue for future public health strategies to reduce alcohol-attributable harm and to complement the current focus of alcohol policy...
- Pandemic influenza A(H1N1) 2009 vaccines in the European UnionK Johansen
European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, Stockholm, Sweden
Euro Surveill 14:19361. 2009Pandemic vaccines from four manufacturers are now available for use within the European Union (EU). Use of these vaccines will protect individuals and reduce the impact on health services to more manageable levels...
- [Scientific production in infectious diseases in Spain (1991-2001): position within the European Union]José Manuel Ramos-Rincón
Unidad de Enfermedades Infecciosas Servicio de Medicina Interna Hospital General Universitario de Elche Alicante España
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 22:22-8. 2004..was to quantitatively determine Spain's medical research output published in the journals included in the Infectious Diseases section of the Journal Citation Reports, and to compare it with that of other European Union (EU) countries.
- Mapping of background air pollution at a fine spatial scale across the European UnionRob Beelen
Institute for Risk Assessment Sciences, Division Environmental Epidemiology, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Sci Total Environ 407:1852-67. 2009..This requires the ability to extrapolate from monitoring stations to unsampled locations. The aim was to assess methods to develop accurate and high resolution maps of background air pollution across the EU...
- Migrant tuberculosis screening in the EU/EEA: yield, coverage and limitationsE Klinkenberg
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation, The Hague, The Netherlands
Eur Respir J 34:1180-9. 2009..objective of assessing the effectiveness of tuberculosis (TB) screening methods and strategies in migrants in European Union/European Economic Area (including Switzerland) countries...
- Trends of cervical cancer mortality in the member states of the European UnionMarc Arbyn
Belgian Cancer Centre, Scientific Institute of Public Health, Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Cancer 45:2640-8. 2009..However, in 2004, more than 16,000 women died from cervical cancer in the European Union (EU)...
- Newcastle disease in the European Union 2000 to 2009Dennis J Alexander
Virology Department, Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency Weybridge, Addlestone, Surrey, UK
Avian Pathol 40:547-58. 2011..During 2000 to 2009 in the European Union (EU) member states, ND viruses virulent for chickens have been detected in wild birds, domesticated pigeons ..
- Analytical aspects of biosimilarity issues of protein drugsZsuzsanna Kálmán-Szekeres
Gedeon Richter Plc, 19 21 Gyömrői út, H 1103 Budapest, Hungary
J Pharm Biomed Anal 69:185-95. 2012....
- The impact of pain on labor force participation, absenteeism and presenteeism in the European UnionPaul Langley
College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota, Minnesota, MN 55455 0343, USA
J Med Econ 13:662-72. 2010....
- Prevalence of physical activity in the European UnionAlfred Rutten
Institut fur Sportwissenschaft und Sport, Friedrich Alexander Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Erlangen
Soz Praventivmed 49:281-9. 2004..is the second in a series of four that present data about physical activity in the 15 member states of the European Union collected by the Eurobarometer 58.2...
- Diversity and dynamics of patient cost-sharing for physicians' and hospital services in the 27 European Union countriesMarzena Tambor
Department of Health Economics and Social Security, Institute of Public Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, Jagiellonian University Collegium Medicum, Krakow, Poland
Eur J Public Health 21:585-90. 2011..This trend in health-care reforms affected the European Union (EU) member states as well...
- The epidemiology of HIV and AIDS reports in migrants in the 27 European Union countries, Norway and Iceland: 1999-2006Julia del Amo
National Center of Epidemiology, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
Eur J Public Health 21:620-6. 2011..To describe the epidemiology of HIV and AIDS by geographical origin in the EU, 1999-2006...
- The contribution of health to the economy in the European UnionMarc Suhrcke
European Office for Investment for Health and Development, WHO Regional Office for Europe, Venice, Italy
Public Health 120:994-1001. 2006..In spite of remaining evidence gaps economic policy-makers also in developed countries should consider investing in health as one (of few) ways by which to achieve their economic objectives...
- Economic costs of health inequalities in the European UnionJohan P Mackenbach
Department of Public Health, University Medical Center Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Epidemiol Community Health 65:412-9. 2011In order to support the case for inter-sectoral policies to tackle health inequalities, the authors explored the economic costs of socioeconomic inequalities in health in the European Union (EU).
- Stochastic spatio-temporal modelling of African swine fever spread in the European Union during the high risk periodAnnette Nigsch
Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Royal Veterinary College, Hawkshead Lane, North Mymms, Hatfield AL9 7TA, United Kingdom
Prev Vet Med 108:262-75. 2013..the disease has spread to several neighbouring countries and cases have been detected in areas bordering the European Union (EU)...
- Assessing the impact of climate change on vector-borne viruses in the EU through the elicitation of expert opinionP Gale
Centre for Epidemiology and Risk Analysis, Veterinary Laboratories Agency, Weybridge, Addlestone, Surrey, UK
Epidemiol Infect 138:214-25. 2010..was elicited to undertake a qualitative risk assessment to estimate the current and future risks to the European Union (EU) from five vector-borne viruses listed by the World Organization for Animal Health...
- Avian influenza. H5N1 moves into Africa, European Union, deepening global crisisMartin Enserink
Science 311:932. 2006
- TB and MDR/XDR-TB in European Union and European Economic Area countries: managed or mismanaged?G B Migliori
WHO Collaborating Centre forTuberculosis and Lung Diseases, Fondazione S Maugeri, Care andReasearch Institute, Tradate, Italy
Eur Respir J 39:619-25. 2012..We evaluated TB case management in the European Union/European Economic Area countries, with special focus on multidrug-resistant (MDR) and extensively drug-..
- Description of the national situation of cervical cancer screening in the member states of the European UnionAhti Anttila
Finnish Cancer Registry, Pieni Roobertinkatu 9, FIN 00130 Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Cancer 45:2685-708. 2009..report up-dates information on the national situation of cervical cancer screening in the member states of the European Union. There is yet high diversity in the status of cervical screening, and rapid changes expected to occur in the ..
- Smoking behaviour, involuntary smoking, attitudes towards smoke-free legislations, and tobacco control activities in the European UnionJose M Martínez-Sánchez
Tobacco Control Unit, Institut Català d Oncologia ICO, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 5:e13881. 2010..objective of our study was to describe the correlation between the TCS and smoking prevalence, self-reported exposure to secondhand smoke (SHS) and attitudes towards smoking restrictions in the 27 countries of the European Union (EU27).
- The challenge of biosimilarsH Mellstedt
Cancer Centre Karolinska, Department of Oncology, Karolinska University Hospital Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Ann Oncol 19:411-9. 2008..The purpose of this report was to review issues associated with the introduction of alternative versions of biosimilars used in the oncology setting...
- "Working the system"--British American tobacco's influence on the European union treaty and its implications for policy: an analysis of internal tobacco industry documentsKatherine E Smith
School for Health, University of Bath, Bath, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 7:e1000202. 2010Impact assessment (IA) of all major European Union (EU) policies is now mandatory...
- The prevalence of cystic fibrosis in the European UnionPhilip M Farrell
The School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Wisconsin Madison, 610 Walnut Street, 785 WARF, Madison, WI 53726 2397, United States
J Cyst Fibros 7:450-3. 2008This study combined a variety of methods to determine the prevalence of cystic fibrosis in the European Union. The results of literature reviews, surveys, and registry analyses revealed a mean prevalence of 0...
- Distribution of sickness absence in the European Union countriesD Gimeno
Occupational Health Research Unit, Department of Experimental Sciences and Health, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Occup Environ Med 61:867-9. 2004To determine the sickness absence frequency in European Union (EU) countries.
- The comparative burden of salmonellosis in the European Union member states, associated and candidate countriesBirgitta de Jong
Department of Epidemiology, Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control SMI, Solna, Sweden
BMC Public Health 6:4. 2006..Salmonella is an infectious agents causing numerous cases of illness each year, and thereby having significant economic impact. Using returning Swedish travellers we estimated the burden of salmonellosis in different European countries...
- The European Union's REACH regulation: a review of its history and requirementsE Spencer Williams
ChemRisk, Inc Houston, Texas, USA
Crit Rev Toxicol 39:553-75. 2009In 2006, the European Union (EU) promulgated a monumental regulatory initiative for the Registration, Evaluation, Authorization, and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH)...
- Creating a coherent set of indicators to monitor health across Europe: the Euro-REVES 2 projectJean Marie Robine
Equipe INSERM Démographie et Santé, Centre Val d Aurelle, Parc Euromedecine, Montpellier, France
Eur J Public Health 13:6-14. 2003The Euro-REVES 2 project, 'Setting up of a coherent set of health expectancies for the European Union', was begun in 1998 under the European Health Monitoring Programme with the aim of selecting a concise set of instruments to ..
- Relevance of Rift Valley fever to public health in the European UnionV Chevalier
UPR Animal et Gestion Intégrée des Risques AGIRs, CIRAD, Montpellier, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 19:705-8. 2013....
- Health law and policy in the European UnionScott L Greer
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Lancet 381:1135-44. 2013From its origins as six western European countries coming together to reduce trade barriers, the European Union (EU) has expanded, both geographically and in the scope of its actions, to become an important supranational body whose ..
- Oral healthcare systems in the extended European unionEeva Widström
The National Research and Development Centre for Welfare and Health STAKES, Helsinki, Finland
Oral Health Prev Dent 2:155-94. 2004....
- The state of Health in All policies (HiAP) in the European Union: potential and pitfallsMeri Koivusalo
National Institute for Health and Welfare, Social and Health Policy, PO Box 30, FI 00271 Helsinki, Finland
J Epidemiol Community Health 64:500-3. 2010Health in All Policies (HiAP) was formally legitimated as a European Union (EU) approach in 2006...
- Introduction of African swine fever into the European Union through illegal importation of pork and pork productsSolenne Costard
Veterinary Epidemiology and Public Health Group, Royal Veterinary College, Hatfield, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 8:e61104. 2013..The history of disease incursions into the European Union suggests that initial outbreaks were often initiated by illegal importation of meat and derived products...
- Issues in consumer exposure modeling: towards harmonization on a global scaleStylianos Kephalopoulos
Physical and Chemical Exposure Unit, Institute for Health and Consumer Protection, Joint Research Centre, Commission of the European Communities, via E Fermi 1, T P 281, I 21027Ispra VA, Italy
J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol 17:S90-100. 2007....
- Policies to prevent childhood obesity in the European UnionT Lobstein
Childhood Obesity Working Group of the International Obesity TaskForce, London, UK
Eur J Public Health 15:576-9. 2005..The proposals are reported in the present paper...
- Osteoporosis in the European Union: medical management, epidemiology and economic burden. A report prepared in collaboration with the International Osteoporosis Foundation (IOF) and the European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industry Associations (EFPIA)E Hernlund
OptumInsight, Stockholm, Sweden
Arch Osteoporos 8:136. 2013This report describes the epidemiology, burden, and treatment of osteoporosis in the 27 countries of the European Union (EU27).
- Study of the efficacy of 18 sun filters authorized in European Union tested in vitroC Couteau
Faculty of Pharmacy, Universite de Nantes, France
Pharmazie 62:449-52. 2007..31) < octyldimethyl PABA (8.71) < octocrylene (10.41) < octylmethoxycinnamate (10.42) < diethylhexylbutamidotriazone (12.58) <isoamylparamethoxycinnamate (15.14) < anisotriazine (20.0)...
- Economic burden of cancer across the European Union: a population-based cost analysisRamon Luengo-Fernandez
Health Economics Research Centre, Nuffield Department of Population Health, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Lancet Oncol 14:1165-74. 2013In 2008, 2·45 million people were diagnosed with cancer and 1·23 million died because of cancer in the 27 countries of the European Union (EU). We aimed to estimate the economic burden of cancer in the EU.
- Clinical guidelines in the European Union: mapping the regulatory basis, development, quality control, implementation and evaluation across member statesHelena Legido-Quigley
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, 15 17 Tavistock Place, London WC1H 9SH, UK
Health Policy 107:146-56. 2012..However, the regulatory basis of clinical guidelines, their development, quality control, implementation and use as well as evaluation within countries across the European Union is not systematically known.
- Assessing the risk of importing dengue and chikungunya viruses to the European UnionThomas Seyler
Communicable Disease Epidemiology Unit, National Centre of Epidemiology, Surveillance and Health Promotion, Istituto Superiore di Sanità National Public Health Institute ISS, Rome, Italy
Epidemics 1:175-84. 2009..As a first step towards assessing the likelihood of local transmission of these viruses in Europe, we estimated the number of viremic person-days among air-travellers arriving in the European Union (EU).
- Overview of important cervical cancer screening process values in European Union (EU) countries, and tentative predictions of the corresponding effectiveness and cost-effectivenessM van Ballegooijen
Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Erasmus University Rotterdam, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Cancer 36:2177-88. 2000The objective was the evaluation of the (cost-)effectiveness of cervical cancer screening in the European Union (EU) countries...
- Community incidence of pathogen-specific gastroenteritis: reconstructing the surveillance pyramid for seven pathogens in seven European Union member statesJ A Haagsma
Centrum voor Infectieziektebestrijding, Rijksinstituut voor Volksgezondheid en Milieu, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Epidemiol Infect 141:1625-39. 2013..We used data on the healthcare system in seven European Union member states in relation to pathogen characteristics that influence healthcare seeking...
- Misuse of medicines in the European Union: a systematic review of the literatureAlicia Casati
Institut für Therapieforschung, Munich, Germany
Eur Addict Res 18:228-45. 2012Although awareness of the misuse of medicines is increasing, data on the extent of the problem in the European Union (EU) are lacking.
- Epidemiology and control prospects of foodborne parasitic zoonoses in the European UnionE Pozio
Community Reference Laboratory for Parasites, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161 Rome, Italy
Parassitologia 50:17-24. 2008In the 27 Member States of the European Union, zoonotic parasites transmitted by food are circulating with different prevalence according to the country, the environmental conditions, the human behaviour, and the socio-economic level...
- European Union bans atrazine, while the United States negotiates continued useJennifer Beth Sass
Health and Environment Program, Natural Resources Defense Council, 1200 New York Avenue, N W, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20005, USA
Int J Occup Environ Health 12:260-7. 2006..S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approved its continued use in October 2003, that same month the European Union (EU) announced a ban of atrazine because of ubiquitous and unpreventable water contamination...
- Beware of the commercialization of human cells and tissues: situation in the European UnionJean Paul Pirnay
Human Cell and Tissue Banks, Laboratory for Molecular and Cellular Technology, Burn Wound Centre, Queen Astrid Military Hospital, Brussel, Belgium
Cell Tissue Bank 13:487-98. 2012..Without a sound wake-up call, the diverging interests of this newly established 'healthcare' industry and the wellbeing of humanity will likely lead to totally unacceptable situations, like some of which we are reporting here...
- Measuring nanoparticles size distribution in food and consumer products: a reviewL Calzolai
European Commission DG Joint Research Centre, Institute for Health and Consumer Protection, Ispra Va, Italy
Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess 29:1183-93. 2012..Finally, a possible way forward (based on the combination of different measuring techniques) for solving this challenging analytical problem is illustrated...
- Tobacco smoking in countries of the European UnionWitold Zatonski
Cancer Center and Institute of Oncology, Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention Division, Warsaw, Poland
Ann Agric Environ Med 19:181-92. 2012Existing smoking prevalence comparisons between the 'old' and 'new' members of the European Union (EU) give a misleading picture because of differences in methodology...
- Intentional injury mortality in the European Union: how many more lives could be saved?D H Stone
Paediatric Epidemiology and Community Health Unit, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
Inj Prev 12:327-32. 2006To explore the scope for reducing the number of intentional injury deaths, hypothesizing that all European Union (EU) countries are able to match the experience of the country with the lowest mortality rate for intentional injuries.
- Considerations on the EU definition of a nanomaterial: science to support policy makingEric A J Bleeker
RIVM, National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, PO Box 1, 3720 BA Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 65:119-25. 2013..In this paper, the current status of various regulatory frameworks of the European Union with regard to nanomaterials is described, and major issues relevant for regulation of nanomaterials are ..
- Hepatitis B immunisation programmes in European Union, Norway and Iceland: where we were in 2009?Jolita Mereckiene
Health Protection Surveillance Centre, Dublin, Ireland Vaccine European New Integrated Collaboration Effort VENICE Project, Italy
Vaccine 28:4470-7. 2010In January 2009 25 European Union (EU) Member States (MSs), Norway and Iceland, participated in a survey seeking information on national hepatitis B vaccination programmes...
- Regulations applicable to plant food supplements and related products in the European UnionVittorio Silano
Faculty of Medicine, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Via Montpellier 1, 00133, Rome
Food Funct 2:710-9. 2011..regulatory and legal settings of traditional plant food supplements and herbal medicinal products in the European Union (EU)...
- The European commission tries to define nanomaterialsGöran Lidén
Department of Applied Environmental Science, Stockholm University, Sweden
Ann Occup Hyg 55:1-5. 2011..the European Commission held a short consultation on a proposed definition for nanomaterials, to be used in European Union legislation and programmes...
- Effect of European Clinical Trials Directive on academic drug trials in Denmark: retrospective study of applications to the Danish Medicines Agency 1993-2006Louise Berendt
Danish Medicines Agency, DK 2300 Copenhagen, Denmark
BMJ 336:33-5. 2008To determine the impact of the European Union's Clinical Trials Directive on the number of academic drug trials carried out in Denmark.
- Gender sensitivity in national health plans in Latin America and the European UnionErica Briones-Vozmediano
Department of Community Nursing, Preventive Medicine and Public Health, and History of Science, Alicante University, Spain
Health Policy 106:88-96. 2012To evaluate the situation regarding gender sensitivity in national health plans in Latin America and the European Union for the decade 2000-2010.
- Functional foods: the case for closer evaluationNynke de Jong
National Institute for Public Health and the Environment RIVM, PO Box 1, 3720 BA, Bilthoven, Netherlands
BMJ 334:1037-9. 2007
- Clinical evaluation of cardiovascular devices: principles, problems, and proposals for European regulatory reform. Report of a policy conference of the European Society of CardiologyAlan G Fraser
Department of European Affairs, European Society of Cardiology, The European Heart House, 2035 Route des Colles Les Templiers, Sophia Antipolis, France
Eur Heart J 32:1673-86. 2011..Finally, it presents the main recommendations from a Policy Conference on the Clinical Evaluation of Cardiovascular Devices that was held at the European Heart House in January 2011...
- Consumer understanding and nutritional communication: key issues in the context of the new EU legislationHans C M van Trijp
Marketing and Consumer Behaviour Group, Wageningen University, Hollandseweg 1, 6706 KN Wageningen, The Netherlands
Eur J Nutr 48:S41-8. 2009..Not surprisingly, these two considerations constitute the cornerstone of the new EU legislation on nutrition and health claims, in which evidence for consumer understanding of nutrition and health claims is a new requirement...
- Quantitative risk assessment for the introduction of African swine fever virus into the European Union by legal import of live pigsL Mur
VISAVET Center and Animal Health Department, Veterinary School, Complutense University of Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Transbound Emerg Dis 59:134-44. 2012..and spread of African swine fever virus (ASFV) in the Russian Federation and Caucasus region, close to European Union (EU) borders, have increased the concerns regarding the probability of ASFV introduction into the EU...
- Primary healthcare in the developing part of Europe: changes and development in the former Eastern Bloc countries that joined the European Union following 2004Imre Rurik
Department of Family Medicine, Faculty of Public Health, Medical and Health Science Center, University Debrecen, Hungary
Med Sci Monit 15:PH78-84. 2009..Primary care is an important tool to improve global health. This study presents an overview of how targets regarding primary care were realized in ten countries of the former Soviet Bloc that joined the EU since 2004...
- The state of mental health in old-age across the 'old' European Union-- a systematic reviewS G Riedel-Heller
Department of Psychiatry, University of Leipzig, Germany
Acta Psychiatr Scand 113:388-401. 2006The paper provides the first syllabus on the prevalence of mental disorders in old-age focusing on surveys conducted in the 15 countries, which comprised the 'old' European Union.
- The assessment of efforts to return to work in the European UnionAnna Muijzer
Department of Health Sciences, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Eur J Public Health 20:689-94. 2010..Aim of the study was to investigate whether in 13 European countries these RTW efforts are assessed and to compare the procedures by means of six criteria...
- Tuberculosis and HIV co-infection in European Union and European Economic Area countriesL Pimpin
Tuberculosis Section, Respiratory Diseases Dept, Imperial College London, London, UK
Eur Respir J 38:1382-92. 2011..A systematic review was undertaken to determine the burden of TB-HIV infection in the European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA)...
- The legal landscape for advanced therapies: material and institutional implementation of European Union rules in France and the United KingdomAurélie Mahalatchimy
Universite de Toulouse
J Law Soc 39:131-49. 2012In 2007, the European Union adopted a lex specialis, Regulation (EC) No. 1394/2007 on advanced therapy medicinal products (ATMPs), a new legal category of medical product in regenerative medicine...
- Medical device development: from prototype to regulatory approvalAaron V Kaplan
Section of Cardiology, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, One Medical Center Dr, Lebanon, NH 03756 0001, USA
Circulation 109:3068-72. 2004
- The burden of TB-HIV in the EU: how much do we know? A survey of surveillance practices and resultsM E Kruijshaar
Tuberculosis Section, Respiratory Diseases Dep, Imperial College London, London
Eur Respir J 38:1374-81. 2011..This study assessed current practices in countries of the European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) for monitoring HIV co-infection in TB surveillance systems, countries' ..
- Mapping health literacy research in the European Union: a bibliometric analysisBarbara K Kondilis
Alfa Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Athens, Greece
PLoS ONE 3:e2519. 2008To examine and compare the research productivity on selected fields related to health literacy of the current members of the European Union, the four candidate countries waiting to join the EU, Norway, Switzerland, and the United States.
- Towards a standardised surveillance for Trichinella in the European UnionL Alban
Danish Agriculture and Food Council, Denmark
Prev Vet Med 99:148-60. 2011Each year, more than 167 million pigs in the European Union (EU) are tested for Trichinella spp. under the current meat hygiene regulations...
- Low-pathogenic notifiable avian influenza serosurveillance and the risk of infection in poultry - a critical review of the European Union active surveillance programme (2005-2007)J L Gonzales
Department of Virology, Central Veterinary Institute of Wageningen UR, Lelystad, The Netherlands
Influenza Other Respir Viruses 4:91-9. 2010Since 2003, Member States (MS) of the European Union (EU) have implemented serosurveillance programmes for low pathogenic notifiable avian influenza (LPNAI) in poultry...
- Avian influenza surveillance in wild birds in the European Union in 2006Uta Hesterberg
Community Reference Laboratory, Veterinary Laboratories Agency, Surrey, UK
Influenza Other Respir Viruses 3:1-14. 2009Infections of wild birds with highly pathogenic avian influenza (AI) subtype H5N1 virus were reported for the first time in the European Union in 2006.
- Phthalates and food-contact materials: enforcing the 2008 European Union plastics legislationJ H Petersen
National Food Institute, Technical University of Denmark, Mørkhøj Bygade 19, DK 2860 Søborg, Denmark
Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess 27:1608-16. 2010..metal lid gaskets instead of analysis of phthalates in the food when controlling foodstuffs packed outside the European Union proved to be an efficient and simple control method...
- Impact of European pharmaceutical price regulation on generic price competition: a reviewJaume Puig-Junoy
Research Centre for Economics and Health CRES, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain
Pharmacoeconomics 28:649-63. 2010....
- Proposals for model-based paediatric medicinal development within the current European Union regulatory frameworkEfthymios Manolis
Scientific Advice and Orphan Drugs, European Medicines Agency, London, UK
Br J Clin Pharmacol 68:493-501. 2009The new paediatric European Union (EU) regulation and the consequent demand for paediatric studies on one hand and the ethical need for minimizing the burden of studies in children on the other hand necessitate optimal techniques in the ..
- Immunity against HIV/AIDS, malaria, and tuberculosis during co-infections with neglected infectious diseases: recommendations for the European Union research prioritiesDiana Boraschi
CNR, Pisa, Italy
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2:e255. 2008..The new scientific and technical tools of the post-genomic era can allow us to reach this goal. However, a concomitant effort in improving education and social conditions will be needed to make the scientific findings effective...
- The carcinoGENOMICS project: critical selection of model compounds for the development of omics-based in vitro carcinogenicity screening assaysMathieu Vinken
Department of Toxicology, Vrije Universiteit Brussel VUB, Laarbeeklaan 103, B 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Mutat Res 659:202-10. 2008..Since selecting an appropriate set of chemicals is a frequent impediment in the early stages of similar research projects, the information provided in this paper might be extremely valuable...
- The challenges of organising cervical screening programmes in the 15 old member states of the European UnionMarc Arbyn
Unit of Cancer Epidemiology and Belgian Cancer Centre, Scientific Institute of Public Health, Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Cancer 45:2671-8. 2009..reduced the burden of cervical cancer in some, but not all, of the other old member states (belonging to the European Union since 1995) but at a cost that is several times greater...
- Occupational exposure to inhalable wood dust in the member states of the European UnionTimo Kauppinen
Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Helsinki, Finland
Ann Occup Hyg 50:549-61. 2006..wood dust by country, industry, the level of exposure and type of wood dust in 25 member states of the European Union (EU-25) for the purposes of hazard control, exposure surveillance and assessment of health risks...
- European Union policy on smokeless tobacco: a statement in favour of evidence based regulation for public healthC Bates
Action on Smoking and Health, London, UK
Tob Control 12:360-7. 2003..of fact and principle to follow the RCP's report and to outline the public health case for changing existing European Union (EU) regulation in this area...
- Epidemiology of hepatitis C virus infection in seven European Union countries: a critical analysis of the literature. HENCORE Group. (Hepatitis C European Network for Co-operative ResearchS Touzet
Département d information médicale, Hospices Civils de Lyon, France
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 12:667-78. 2000..risk groups, namely intravenous drug users, haemodialysis and transfused patients, in seven countries of the European Union, by carrying out a critical analysis of the literature...
- Prevalence of pathogenic bee viruses in Hungarian apiaries: situation before joining the European UnionPetra Forgách
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Science, Szent Istvan University, Hungária krt 23 25, H 1143 Budapest, Hungary
J Invertebr Pathol 98:235-8. 2008..The results could serve as a basis for monitoring further changes in the distribution of honeybee viruses in Europe...
- Bluetongue epidemiology in the European UnionClaude Saegerman
Department of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, Epidemiology and Risk Analysis Applied to Veterinary, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Emerg Infect Dis 14:539-44. 2008..This condition increases the risk for reassortment of individual BTV gene segments...
- Estimating prevalence of problem drug use at national level in countries of the European Union and NorwayLudwig Kraus
Institute for Therapy Research, Abteilung Soziale Epidemiologie, Munich, Germany
Addiction 98:471-85. 2003..This paper will present the most recent estimates for problematic drug use in European Member States and explore the problems of comparability...
- The future of tobacco product regulation and labelling in Europe: implications for the forthcoming European Union directiveC Bates
Action on Smoking and Health, London, UK
Tob Control 8:225-35. 1999..We therefore make the following recommendations for the way forward...
- Attitude survey of adverse drug-reaction reporting by health care professionals across the European Union. The European Pharmacovigilance Research GroupK J Belton
Wolfson Unit of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 52:423-7. 1997This survey was conducted to assess the attitudes of medical practitioners in the European Union regarding their national spontaneous reporting scheme, to identify reasons for under-reporting and to determine what steps might be effective ..
- Surveillance for avian influenza in wild birds in the European Union in 2007Andrew C Breed
Community Reference Laboratory, Veterinary Laboratories Agency, Woodham Lane, New Haw, Addlestone, Surrey KT15 3NB, United Kingdom
Avian Dis 54:399-404. 2010Surveillance of wild birds for avian influenza viruses has been compulsory in the European Union (EU) since 2005, primarily as a means of detecting H5N1 highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) virus and of monitoring the circulation of ..
- Legal requirements for the quality of herbal substances and herbal preparations for the manufacturing of herbal medicinal products in the European unionArnold Vlietinck
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
Planta Med 75:683-8. 2009In the European Union (EU) herbal medicinal products have become increasingly important...
- Comparing pharmaceutical pricing and reimbursement policies in Croatia to the European Union Member StatesSabine Vogler
Health Economics Department, WHO Collaborating Centre for Pharmaceutical Pricing and Reimbursement Policies, Gesundheit Österreich GmbH Geschäftsbereich ÖBIG Austrian Health Institute, Stubenring 6, Vienna, Austria
Croat Med J 52:183-97. 2011To perform a comparative analysis of the pharmaceutical pricing and reimbursement systems in Croatia and the 27 European Union (EU) Member States.
- Percutaneous mitral annuloplasty for functional mitral regurgitation: results of the CARILLON Mitral Annuloplasty Device European Union StudyJoachim Schofer
Medical Care Center Professor Mathey, Professor Schofer Hamburg University Cardiovascular Center Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
Circulation 120:326-33. 2009..Percutaneous mitral annuloplasty has the potential to serve as a therapeutic adjunct to standard medical care...
- Consistency of staining and reporting of oestrogen receptor immunocytochemistry within the European Union--an inter-laboratory studyC A Wells
Department of Histopathology, St Bartholomew s Hospital Medical School, West Smithfield, London, EC1A 7BE, United Kingdom
Virchows Arch 445:119-28. 2004..The Quick score method of receptor assessment may also have too many categories for good concordance, and grouping of these into fewer categories may remove some of the variation among laboratories...
- Prevalence of physical activity during leisure time in the European UnionM A Martinez-Gonzalez
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
Med Sci Sports Exerc 33:1142-6. 2001To estimate the prevalence of physical activity during leisure time in adults from the 15 member states of the European Union and the relationship with sociodemographic variables.
- On the critical assessment of the impact of the recent European Union Tissues and Cells DirectivePushpa M Bhargava
Anveshna, Furqan Cottage, 12 13 100 Lane No 1, Street No 3, Tarnaka, Hyderabad 500 017, India
Reprod Biomed Online 11:161. 2005..and air quality standards to assisted conception facilities, especially IVF laboratories', as envisaged in the European Union's Tissues and Cells Directive (2004), is fully justified...
- Defining output-based standards to achieve and maintain tuberculosis freedom in farmed deer, with reference to member states of the European UnionSimon J More
Centre for Veterinary Epidemiology and Risk Analysis, Veterinary Sciences Centre, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland
Prev Vet Med 90:254-67. 2009Within the European Union (EU), detailed legislation has been developed for cattle, but not deer, to minimise disease risks associated with trade in animals and animal products...
- European approach to increasing organ donation: European Union donor card, presumed consent, and other innovationsJuan C Garcia-Valdecasas
Department of Surgery, Hospital Clinic of Barcelona, University of Barcelona, Villaroel 170, Barcelona, Spain
Liver Transpl 18:S8-9. 2012..2. Unfortunately, liver transplantation has become the victim of its own success because the number of available donors is not meeting the growing demand for organs...
- An approach for mapping the vulnerability of European Union soils to antibiotic contaminationAna de la Torre
Centro de Investigacion en Sanidad Animal, Instituto Nacional de Investigacion y Tecnologia Agraria y Alimentaria, Carretera de Algete a El Casar, 28130 Valdeolmos, Madrid, Spain
Sci Total Environ 414:672-9. 2012..Enrofloxacin was the highest-risk antibiotic in the European Union, followed by tetracyclines, tylosin and sulfodiazine...
- Scenario tree modeling to analyze the probability of classical swine fever virus introduction into member states of the European UnionClazien J de Vos
Farm Management Group, Department of Social Sciences, Wageningen University, Hollandseweg 1, 6706 KN Wageningen, The Netherlands
Risk Anal 24:237-53. 2004..this purpose a spreadsheet model was constructed that calculates the annual PCSFV into member states of the European Union (EU). The scenario pathway approach was used as most probabilities in the model are very small...
- SUPPORT CONTRACT FOR THE NTP INTERAGENCY CENTER/VALIDATION OF ALT METHODSDavid Allen; Fiscal Year: 2011..niehs.nih.gov/. On April 27, 2009, representatives of the United States, the European Union, Canada, and Japan signed a Memorandum of Cooperation for International Cooperation on Alternative Test ..
- SUPPORT CONTRACT FOR THE NTP INTERAGENCY CENTER/VALIDATION OF ALT METHODSDavid Allen; Fiscal Year: 2012..niehs.nih.gov/. On April 27, 2009, representatives of the United States, the European Union, Canada, and Japan signed a Memorandum of Cooperation for International Cooperation on Alternative Test ..
- Exposure and biological response biomarkers of cigarette smokeIAN ALEXANDER BLAIR; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Next Generation Oxime Therapeutic for Chemical Agent Inhibited CNS (Brain) ChEsRichard K Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Cinema Smoking and Youth Smoking in Latin AmericaJames Thrasher; Fiscal Year: 2013..Notably, we involve another researcher from Germany who has successfully completed a similar study in 6 European Union (EU) countries...
- Arousal, orexins and anesthesiaMAX KELZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..Together with his current skill set, these new tools will help transition him towards becoming an independent physician-scientist by bridging the interface between sleep neurobiology and anesthetic action. ..
- Therapeutic effects of ketogenic diet in a mouse model of severe myoclinic epilepFranck K Kalume; Fiscal Year: 2013..Furthermore, this study will give new insights that may help in the design of future pharmacological- or non-pharmacological therapies for SMEI and other epilepsy syndrome refractory to current antiepileptic drugs. ..
- Harmonizing health outcomes and determinants across longitudinal studies on agingPaul R Kowal; Fiscal Year: 2012..Health And Retirement in Europe (SHARE) in 11 European countries (in its first wave and in 13 countries in the European Union in the second round), and other national studies such as the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing (ELSA) in ..
- Sixth Annual OSSD MeetingChristine Carter; Fiscal Year: 2012..This year the meeting will be held in collaboration with the International Society of Gender Medicine (IGM), a European Union-based group whose mission and goals parallel those of the OSSD.
- Cannabinoid-based therapy and approaches to quantify pain in sickle cell diseaseKalpna Gupta; Fiscal Year: 2013..We expect that the multidisciplinary approach combining biochemistry, neurophysiology, pharmacology, behavior and biomedical engineering will advance the treatment of pain in SCD. (End of Abstract) ..
- Do Patient Requests Affect Doctor's Decisions? A Complementary Experimental and QJohn B McKinlay; Fiscal Year: 2012..S. and elsewhere (DTCA of pharmaceuticals is about to be introduced throughout the countries of the European Union)...
- Characterizing and Targeting CHD4 Deficiency in Endometrial CancerShiaw Yih Lin; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Unique Clinical Study on DGF Using Paired KidneysWeizhong Cai; Fiscal Year: 2012..the number of available kidneys continues to widen exponentially. In many countries within the European Union, utilization of "donation after cardiac death" (DCD) kidneys is steadily increasing, expanding the donor pool ..
- Neural Grafts and Injury-Induced Hippocampal DysfunctionAshok K Shetty; Fiscal Year: 2010..Collectively, the proposed experiments have immense value for the development of apt treatment strategy that prevents both chronic epilepsy and learning and memory impairments after hippocampal injury in adults. ..
- Preclinical Testing of Integrin Enhancing Molecules for the Treatment of MuscularDean J Burkin; Fiscal Year: 2011..Dystrophy (DMD) is a devastating muscle disease that affects nearly 50,000 children in the United States and European Union. Increased expression of 17 integrin has been shown to be enormously beneficial in DMD mouse models...
- Aging Intestinal Stem Cells and Insulin/IGF SystemPauline K Lund; Fiscal Year: 2013..Findings will fundamentally advance our knowledge of the effects of aging on IESC and identify new mechanisms, biomarkers, and potential therapeutic targets to better monitor and promote successful IESC and intestinal aging. ..
- The Role of the CXCR4/CXCL12 axis in endometriosisABIGAIL RUIZ-RIVERA; Fiscal Year: 2013..Also, these studies will provide insights fo the development of future therapeutic modalities for this incurable condition targeting the CXCR4-CXCL12 axis. ..
- Sleep Function and Synaptic Homeostasis: Linking Neurobiology and Mental HealthGiulio Tononi; Fiscal Year: 2010..Given the central role of sleep in the life of every organism, at every age, we expect that the results of our program will have major implications for many aspects of human health and disease. ..
- NRSA: Dynamic evaluation and control of decision makingPATRICK A SIMEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..It may also explain how control deficits lead to impaired reward processing. ..
- Cryopreservation of Human Epidermal Skin ModelsLia H Campbell; Fiscal Year: 2010..This development has been further pushed by a European Union regulation that will prohibit the use of animals for collecting toxicological data on cosmetic ingredients ..
- EARLY VISUAL PROCESSING IN SCHIZOPHRENIAMichael F Green; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Affect and Cerebral Asymmetry: A Developmental ApproachNathan A Fox; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- NIH Exploratory Trials in Parkinson's Disease (NET-PD): Clinical SiteJay S Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2013..of the most common adult neurodegenerative disorders, affecting over 1 million people in North America and the European Union. Although transient symptomatic improvement can be obtained with currently available pharmacotherapies, ..
- Astrocyte Dysfunction in EpilepsyMaiken Nedergaard; Fiscal Year: 2010..By more specifically targeting the glial cause of neuronal excitability, we might be able to achieve more specific, less variable and less toxic treatment options for patients with epilepsy. ..
- Validation of an In Vitro Human Airway ModelPatrick J Hayden; Fiscal Year: 2012..Recently enacted legislation including the European Union (EU) Registration, Labeling and Authorization of Chemicals (REACH) program, and the US EPA High production ..
- Real-time Diffuse near-IR Optical Tomography with EEG RecordingsMark Farber; Fiscal Year: 2010..In the future, this work can have applications in the study of ADHD, epilepsy, Alzheimer's Disease, stroke, brain edema, and meningeal hemorrhages. ..
- Neurophysiology of somatosensory influences on auditory cortical processingGabriella Musacchia; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed research thus directly contributes to ongoing investigation of multisensory integration dysfunctions in patients with schizophrenia. ..
- Zimmerman Program for the Molecular and Clinical Biology of VWDRobert R Montgomery; Fiscal Year: 2013..phenotype, and clinical phenotype within our country as well as with cohorts studied in Canada and the European Union. This PPG has identified problems with the fidelity of the historical VWD diagnosis and problems with using ..
- EEG-fMRI in Patients with JMEJerzy P Szaflarski; Fiscal Year: 2010..Szaflarski is to develop skills necessary to become an independent clinical investigator in the area of neuroimaging in epilepsy, with independent research funding by the time the training is completed. ..
- Does Early Experience Improve Preterm Neurodevelopment?Heidelise Als; Fiscal Year: 2010..The expected reduction in learning and school failure for the increasing numbers of preterm-born children in the nation's schools, would give the study and the intervention, significant national public health importance., ..
- The Effects of Smoking and Expectancy on ERP Measures of Attentional BiasJason D Robinson; Fiscal Year: 2012..This study will use event-related potential (ERP) EEG technology to investigate these attentional biases and circumstances that provoke them. ..
- South African Research Ethics Training Initiative (SARETI)Douglas R Wassenaar; Fiscal Year: 2013..SARETI has strong links with African countries, the UK and the European Union to ensure a truly global applied perspective.
- Closed-loop distributed microstimulation for epilepsyJohn D Rolston; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal will investigate this treatment in animal models of epilepsy, to validate its safety and efficacy, before beginning clinical trials. ..
- Longtitudinal Changes in Sleep Structure: Implications for Health OutcomesNaresh Punjabi; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- A Computational Approach for 3D Brain Source ImagingBin He; Fiscal Year: 2010..The availability of a noninvasive imaging technology to identify and image the epileptogenic foci would benefit numerous patients suffering from epilepsy and the healthcare system. ..
- Parkinson's Disease Clinical Trial: Statistical CenterBarbara C Tilley; Fiscal Year: 2013..of the most common adult neurodegenerative disorders, affecting over 1 million people in North America and the European Union. As a first step, based on futility studies, the NINDS Exploratory Trials in Parkinson's disease (NET-PD) ..
- SUPPORT FOR GENESISJames M Bower; Fiscal Year: 2012..to summer courses, GENESIS continues to be part of the course in Woods Hole, as well as courses offered in the European Union, Mexico, India, Japan, and recently a new course in Brazil for Latin America...
- PPTOX III: Environmental Stressors in the Developmental Origins of Disease: EvideCheryl L Walker; Fiscal Year: 2012..with experts in the fields, to define research gaps and needs, and finally to develop a consensus statement of where the field is and its impact on human health that will impact policy in the European Union, the USA and across the globe.
- CD8 T CELL ACTIVATION AND MIGRATION IN VIVOKAMAL MOHAN KHANNA; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aim 2. To identify the metabolic pathways in early effector cells leading to memory development. Aim 3. To identify the molecular pathways that specify effector subset lineage development. ..
- PTEN and the Molecular Genetics of Endometrial CancerAntonio Di Cristofano; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Surgical Adhesive for Seroma PreventionCHAD COBERLY; Fiscal Year: 2013..TissuGlu(R) has received CE Mark approval, giving the company permission to market and sell TissuGlu(R) in the European Union and other worldwide markets...
- Real time cortical connectivity imaging from EEG/MEG dataFelix Darvas; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will verify the system by feedback experiments on healthy subjects with the goal to enable subjects to increase or decrease cortical synchrony in selected regions using the proposed imaging system. ..
- Tenth Anniversary of Needlestick Safety & Prevention Act: Charting a Future PathJANINE CAROL JAGGER; Fiscal Year: 2010..S.: it has become a model for sharps safety legislation in other countries, and the European Union is poised to pass an equivalent standard that will greatly accelerate transition to safety technology there...
- PREPARATION FOR AIDS/HIV VACCINE EVALUATIONSSusan Allen; Fiscal Year: 1993..WHO will ensure the coordination of government and international groups involved in future AIDS/HIV vaccine trials in Rwanda...
- Structure and Functional Imaging of Age-Related Changes in Working MemoryLINDA KATHLEEN MCEVOY; Fiscal Year: 2011..This knowledge will provide a basis for better understanding of pathological brain changes that occur in age-related disorders. ..
- Replacement Ocular Battery (ROBatt)GEORGE L DEGEORGE; Fiscal Year: 2011..Alternatives have been discussed since the 80s without any appreciable acceptance from regulators. ..
- Towards an Improved Understanding of BOLD Signal ChangesR Todd Constable; Fiscal Year: 2010..This work will provide insight into the relationship between MR signal changes in cognitive tasks, and EEC changes as measured with surface, and in a limited number of patients, subdural electrodes. ..
- Intersection of NER and DNA crosslink repair processesBennett Van Houten; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The purpose of this workshop is to bring together scientists from the European Union (EU) and US to discuss our current understanding of how protein machines assemble and sort through genomic DNA to ..
- Hyaluronan/CD44 and the Early Endometriotic LesionRobert Schenken; Fiscal Year: 2005..The findings should enable us to predict a woman's risk of developing endometriosis based on endometrial cell CD44 characteristics and suggest new approaches to prevent the disease. ..
- The Role of the Cortex in Discoordination After StrokeJulius Dewald; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Potential Surrogate Marker of Epileptogenic CortexJoyce Wu; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Neuroprotection Exploratory Trials in PD (NET-PD)Franca Cambi; Fiscal Year: 2013..of the most common adult neurodegenerative disorders, affecting over 1 million people in North America and the European Union. As a first step in identifying such therapies, the NINDS Exploratory Trials in Parkinson's disease (NET-..
- Efficacy of The Ketogenic DietJohn Freeman; Fiscal Year: 2002..The mechanics of the study have gone well with no adverse events and no dropouts. We believe that the recruitment problems have been solved. Since the investigators remain blinded, the results are not available. ..
- MOLECULAR AND GENETIC ANALYSIS OF THE EEC SYNDROMEBernard Weissman; Fiscal Year: 2000..Finally, the determination of the relationship among the various birth defects associated with EEC will allow accurate genetic counseling to individuals with this disorder. ..
- SHARE-HRS Training Harmonization and CertificationAXEL BOERSCH SUPAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..RELEVANCE: Health outcomes vary a great deal across countries, between the US and Europe, but also within the European Union. This project will harmonize data on health policies and health outcomes in Europe with similar data in the US ..
- Parkinson's Disease Neuroprotection Clinical Trial CenterVanessa K Hinson; Fiscal Year: 2013..of the most common adult neurodegenerative disorders, affecting over 1 million people in North America and the European Union. As a first step in identifying such therapies, the NINDS Exploratory Trials in Parkinson's disease (NET-..
- THE USE OF ELECTROACUPUNCTURE TO MODULATE AROUSALEdgar Garcia Rill; Fiscal Year: 2002..However, the optimal stimulation sites and paradigms muse be identified and proven effective, first, in control populations, and later, in pathological populations. ..
- AGRICULTURAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH IN CENTRAL EUROPEJames Merchant; Fiscal Year: 2000..support and human resources necessary to create a better rural society during the time of harmonization with European Union policies for agriculture, health, and the environment...
- CEREBRAL ISCHEMIA--DAMAGE DURING ANESTHESIADavid Warner; Fiscal Year: 1999....
- 2006 Environmental Endocrine Disruptors Gordon ConferenceRex Hess; Fiscal Year: 2006..Governments of the United States, Japan and the European Union have enacted laws regulating endocrine disrupters and in the U.S...
- GENDER, CULTURE, AND ALCOHOL: A MULTI-NATIONAL STUDYSharon Wilsnack; Fiscal Year: 2004..Considerable groundwork for the project has been completed, including obtaining funds for support of European Union members of the study, and (through our partnership with the World Health Organization) obtaining funds to ..
- A Mouse Model of Inherited Frontal Lobe EpilepsyJim Boulter; Fiscal Year: 2006..The objective of these experiments is to examine possible synaptic mechanisms underlying epileptogenesis and to determine the effects of ADNFLE mutations on a4a2receptor-mediated function in vivo. ..
- Control of Repetitive Movement in Parkinson's DiseaseColum MacKinnon; Fiscal Year: 2009..This project is relevant to public health because the findings will provide a better understanding of the human basal ganglia and its role in the production of disordered movement and help to develop improved treatments. ..
- The role of thalamic T-type calcium channels in ethanol withdrawalJohn Graef; Fiscal Year: 2009....