Genomes and Genes
Summary: Country in northwestern Europe including Great Britain and the northern one-sixth of Ireland, located between the North Sea and north Atlantic Ocean. The capital is London.
- Blake T, Pickup L, Carruthers D, Damato E, Denniston A, Hamburger J, et al. Birmingham Behçet's service: classification of disease and application of the 2014 International Criteria for Behçet's Disease (ICBD) to a UK cohort. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017;18:101 pubmed publisher..This study also highlights an incomplete group of Behçet's patients that are less well defined by their clinical presentation. ..
- Walters K, Kharicha K, Goodman C, Handley M, Manthorpe J, Cattan M, et al. Promoting independence, health and well-being for older people: a feasibility study of computer-aided health and social risk appraisal system in primary care. BMC Fam Pract. 2017;18:47 pubmed publisher..Design: Feasibility study. Five General Practices in London (Ealing) and Hertfordshire, United Kingdom (UK) Participants: Random sample of patients aged 65â€‰+â€‰years...
- Dupré A, Jones R, Díaz Nieto R, Fenwick S, Poston G, Malik H. Curative-intent treatment of recurrent colorectal liver metastases: A comparison between ablation and resection. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2017;43:1901-1907 pubmed publisher..Although ablation seemed to be associated with a shorter progression-free survival, post-procedure morbidity was significantly lower. The choice between ablation and resection should therefore be made on a personalised basis. ..
- Seddon B, Strauss S, Whelan J, Leahy M, Woll P, Cowie F, et al. Gemcitabine and docetaxel versus doxorubicin as first-line treatment in previously untreated advanced unresectable or metastatic soft-tissue sarcomas (GeDDiS): a randomised controlled phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18:1397-1410 pubmed publisher..Cancer Research UK, Sarcoma UK, and Clinical Trial Unit Kantonsspital St Gallen. ..
- Stiburkova B, Pavelcova K, Zavada J, Petru L, Šimek P, Cepek P, et al. Functional non-synonymous variants of ABCG2 and gout risk. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2017;56:1982-1992 pubmed publisher..Non-synonymous allelic variants of ABCG2 had a significant effect on earlier onset of gout and the presence of a familial gout history. ABCG2 should thus be considered a common and significant risk factor for gout. ..
- Tian S, Liu J, Yuan W, Wang Y, Ha C, Liu L, et al. Minimally invasive unicompartmental knee replacement: Midterm clinical outcome. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176082 pubmed publisher..However, longer-term follow-up studies should be performed in these patients. ..
- Lawrence D. Sociodemographic profile of an Olympic team. Public Health. 2017;148:149-158 pubmed publisher..These findings prompt further inquiry into barriers for sport-specific participation and advancement, in addition to the practice of providing substantial public resources in support for Olympic sports and athletes. ..
- Perez Cornago A, Key T, Allen N, Fensom G, Bradbury K, Martin R, et al. Prospective investigation of risk factors for prostate cancer in the UK Biobank cohort study. Br J Cancer. 2017;117:1562-1571 pubmed publisher..Future research will examine associations by tumour characteristics. ..
- Kidy F, Dhalwani N, Harrington D, Gray L, Bodicoat D, Webb D, et al. Associations Between Anthropometric Measurements and Cardiometabolic Risk Factors in White European and South Asian Adults in the United Kingdom. Mayo Clin Proc. 2017;92:925-933 pubmed publisher..There is insufficient evidence to recommend replacing body mass index with another anthropometric measurement for the ethnically diverse population in the United Kingdom. clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00318032.
- Wilson C, Rhodes K, Payne R. Financial incentives improve recognition but not treatment of cardiovascular risk factors in severe mental illness. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179392 pubmed publisher..However, incentives do not affect pharmacological management of these risks. ..
- Marlow L, Chorley A, Haddrell J, Ferrer R, Waller J. Understanding the heterogeneity of cervical cancer screening non-participants: Data from a national sample of British women. Eur J Cancer. 2017;80:30-38 pubmed publisherUptake of cervical cancer screening in the United Kingdom (UK) is falling year on year, and a more sophisticated understanding of non-participation may help design interventions to reverse this trend...
- Moon W, Kim S, Park S, Paek S, Kwon J. The cost-effectiveness of deep brain stimulation for patients with treatment-resistant obsessive-compulsive disorder. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7397 pubmed publisher..We applied the model separately to Korea and the United Kingdom (UK) to enhance the validity...
- Kempen J, Altaweel M, Holbrook J, Sugar E, Thorne J, Jabs D. Association Between Long-Lasting Intravitreous Fluocinolone Acetonide Implant vs Systemic Anti-inflammatory Therapy and Visual Acuity at 7 Years Among Patients With Intermediate, Posterior, or Panuveitis. JAMA. 2017;317:1993-2005 pubmed publisher..5 years; longer-term outcomes are not known...
- Lubitz S, Parsons O, Anderson C, Benjamin E, Malik R, Weng L, et al. Atrial Fibrillation Genetic Risk and Ischemic Stroke Mechanisms. Stroke. 2017;48:1451-1456 pubmed publisher..Future studies are warranted to determine whether AF genetic risk is a useful biomarker to enhance clinical discrimination of stroke pathogeneses. ..
- Davies K, Bruce I, Bannister P, Callery P. Safe sleeping positions: practice and policy for babies with cleft palate. Eur J Pediatr. 2017;176:661-667 pubmed publisher..Over half the national specialist centres for cleft palate in the UK advise positioning infants with CP in the lateral position as a routine measure to reduce difficulties with respiration. ..
- Knight Jones P, Darbyshire T, Petersen M, Tovar Hernández M. What is <i>Pseudopotamilla</i> <i>reniformis</i> (Sabellidae)? Comparisons of populations from Britain, Iceland and Canada with comments on <i>Eudistylia</i> and <i>Schizobranchia</i>. Zootaxa. 2017;4254:201-220 pubmed publisher..reniformis is reduced to Iceland, northern Norway, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. The genera Eudistylia Bush and Schizobranchia Bush are discussed in relation to Pseudopotamilla. ..
- Tan C, Alavi S, Baldeweg S, Belli A, Carson A, Feeney C, et al. The screening and management of pituitary dysfunction following traumatic brain injury in adults: British Neurotrauma Group guidance. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2017;88:971-981 pubmed publisher..It is hoped that future research will lead to more definitive recommendations in the form of guidelines. ..
- Taylor C. Importance of nutrition in preventing and treating pressure ulcers. Nurs Older People. 2017;29:33-39 pubmed publisher..It also aims to highlight how improving nutritional intake helps to prevent pressure ulcers. On completing the article, readers will be able to consider and review their own practice. ..
- Beaney K, Cooper J, Drenos F, Humphries S. Assessment of the clinical utility of adding common single nucleotide polymorphism genetic scores to classical risk factor algorithms in coronary heart disease risk prediction in UK men. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2017;55:1605-1613 pubmed publisher..03) and showed no improvement in discrimination (p=0.55) or reclassification (p=0.10) compared to QRISK2 alone. The 19-SNP GS is robustly associated with CHD and showed potential clinical utility in the UK population. ..
- Lemonnier F, Mak T. Angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma: more than a disease of T follicular helper cells. J Pathol. 2017;242:387-390 pubmed publisher..Copyright © 2017 Pathological Society of Great Britain and Ireland. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd...
- Tompson A, Fleming S, Heneghan C, McManus R, Greenfield S, Hobbs F, et al. Current and potential providers of blood pressure self-screening: a mixed methods study in Oxfordshire. BMJ Open. 2017;7:e013938 pubmed publisher..Any future development of community BP self-screening programmes will require (1) public promotion and (2) careful consideration of how best to support-and reward-the community hosts who currently perceive little if any benefit. ..
- Smith A, Hall P, Hulme C, Dunn J, McConkey C, Rahman J, et al. Cost-effectiveness analysis of PET-CT-guided management for locally advanced head and neck cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2017;85:6-14 pubmed publisherA recent large United Kingdom (UK) clinical trial demonstrated that positron-emission tomography-computed tomography (PET-CT)-guided administration of neck dissection (ND) in patients with advanced head and neck cancer after primary chemo-..
- Vujanic G, Apps J, Moroz V, Ceroni F, Williams R, Sebire N, et al. Nephrogenic rests in Wilms tumors treated with preoperative chemotherapy: The UK SIOP Wilms Tumor 2001 Trial experience. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2017;64: pubmed publisher..Their epidemiology supports at least two pathways to Wilms tumorigenesis. ..
- Stavisky J, Dean R, Molloy M. Prevalence of and risk factors for FIV and FeLV infection in two shelters in the United Kingdom (2011-2012). Vet Rec. 2017;181:451 pubmed publisher..This study shows that the prevalence of these diseases varies between shelter populations. Local knowledge combined with the risk factors identified may be useful in focusing resources for population testing strategies. ..
- Traeger J. What can action learning offer a beleaguered system? A narrative representing the relationship. Leadersh Health Serv (Bradf Engl). 2017;30:129-137 pubmed publisher..Originality/value To the author, this is about portraying what action learning feels like, rather than thinks like, for his own and for the benefit of other practitioners. ..
- Cullen B, Smith D, Deary I, Evans J, Pell J. The 'cognitive footprint' of psychiatric and neurological conditions: cross-sectional study in the UK Biobank cohort. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2017;135:593-605 pubmed publisher..Although the relative prevalence of cognitive impairment was lowest in major depression, the population attributable prevalence was highest overall for this group. ..
- Pilling L, Atkins J, Duff M, Beaumont R, Jones S, Tyrrell J, et al. Red blood cell distribution width: Genetic evidence for aging pathways in 116,666 volunteers. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185083 pubmed publisher..The predictive value of RDW for a range of negative health outcomes may in part be due to variants influencing fundamental pathways of aging. ..
- Bean D, Stringer C, Beeknoo N, Teo J, Dobson R. Network analysis of patient flow in two UK acute care hospitals identifies key sub-networks for A&E performance. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185912 pubmed publisher..Such analysis can drive transformation in healthcare as it has in industries such as manufacturing...
- Henderson E, Wills A, Torrington A, Moores A, Thomson D, Arthurs G, et al. Evaluation of variables influencing success and complication rates in canine total hip replacement: results from the British Veterinary Orthopaedic Association Canine Hip Registry (collation of data: 2010-2012). Vet Rec. 2017;181:18 pubmed publisher..Complication rates from the BVOA-CHR are similar to previous studies. The data suggest that prosthesis type is associated with complication rate, with BioMedtrix BFX (circa 2012) having a high short-term complication rate. ..
- Brueton V, Stenning S, Stevenson F, Tierney J, Rait G. Best practice guidance for the use of strategies to improve retention in randomized trials developed from two consensus workshops. J Clin Epidemiol. 2017;88:122-132 pubmed publisher..The extent of agreement on best practice is limited by the variability in the currently available evidence. This guidance will need updating as new retention strategies are developed and evaluated. ..
- Chapman A, Beh E, Palla L. Application of Correspondence Analysis to Graphically Investigate Associations Between Foods and Eating Locations. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2017;235:166-170 pubmed..The hypotheses generated by the visual display can then be independently tested using suitable regression models. CA makes use of readily available software tools and of robust statistical tests amenable to interpretation. ..
- Kosiborod M, Cavender M, Fu A, Wilding J, Khunti K, Holl R, et al. Lower Risk of Heart Failure and Death in Patients Initiated on Sodium-Glucose Cotransporter-2 Inhibitors Versus Other Glucose-Lowering Drugs: The CVD-REAL Study (Comparative Effectiveness of Cardiovascular Outcomes in New Users of Sodium-Glucose Cotr. Circulation. 2017;136:249-259 pubmed publisher..records, and national registries from the United States, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, and the United Kingdom. Propensity score for SGLT-2i initiation was used to match treatment groups...
- Zhao Y, Li S, Liu L, Zhang J, Chen G. Does the choice of tariff matter?: A comparison of EQ-5D-5L utility scores using Chinese, UK, and Japanese tariffs on patients with psoriasis vulgaris in Central South China. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7840 pubmed publisher..The evidence from this study supports the choice of the country-specific tariff to be used in Mainland China. ..
- Price Dowd C. Confidence and competence is what makes the difference on the frontline. Br J Nurs. 2017;26:900-901 pubmed publisher..In this third blog in the series, Clare Price-Dowd, Senior Programme Lead, NHS Leadership Academy, Leeds, discusses the importance of having both confident and competent nurses delivering care. ..
- Newbould J, Abel G, Ball S, Corbett J, Elliott M, Exley J, et al. Evaluation of telephone first approach to demand management in English general practice: observational study. BMJ. 2017;358:j4197 pubmed publisher..The approach does not suit all patients or practices and is not a panacea for meeting demand. There was no evidence to support claims that the approach would, on average, save costs or reduce use of secondary care. ..
- Heys M, Rajan M, Blair M. Length of paediatric inpatient stay, socio-economic status and hospital configuration: a retrospective cohort study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:274 pubmed publisher..Analyses of these types of data would be strengthened by measures of complexity and adverse events. ..
- Jones A, Cross P, Burton M, Millman C, O Brien S, Rigby D. Estimating the prevalence of food risk increasing behaviours in UK kitchens. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175816 pubmed publisher..We found no correlation between the price of a meal in an establishment, nor its Food Hygiene Rating Score, and the likelihood of any of the food malpractices occurring. ..
- Montanari Vergallo G, Marinelli E, Di Luca N, Masotti V, Cecchi R, Zaami S. Italian law on the vehicular homicide: medical legal issues and comparative analysis. Clin Ter. 2017;168:e214-e219 pubmed publisher..This paper aims at comparing the rules by which the United Kingdom, France, Spain, Germany and Italy protect people's lives and safety of vehicular traffic in order to highlight ..
- Martelli F, Lambert M, Butt P, Cheney T, Tatone F, Callaby R, et al. Evaluation of an enhanced cleaning and disinfection protocol in Salmonella contaminated pig holdings in the United Kingdom. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178897 pubmed publisher..C&D is a useful measure to help reduce the number of infected pigs going to the slaughterhouse, but should be supplemented by other control measures along the pig breeding and production chain. ..
- Paskins Z, Whittle R, Sultan A, Muller S, Blagojevic Bucknall M, Helliwell T, et al. Risk of fracture among patients with polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis: a population-based study. BMC Med. 2018;16:4 pubmed publisher..More needs to be done to improve adherence to guidelines to co-prescribe bisphosphonates. Further research needs to identify whether lower glucocorticoid starting doses and/or aggressive dose reduction reduces fracture risk. ..