- Intensive care adult patients with severe respiratory failure caused by Influenza A (H1N1)v in Spain
Critical Care Department, Joan XXIII University Hospital, CIBERes Enfermedades Respiratorias, IISPV, Mallafre Guasch 4, 43007 Tarragona, Spain
Crit Care 13:R148. 2009
..We describe the clinical and epidemiologic characteristics of the first 32 persons reported to be admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU) due to influenza A (H1N1)v infection in Spain.
- Spread of bla(CTX-M-14) is driven mainly by IncK plasmids disseminated among Escherichia coli phylogroups A, B1, and D in Spain
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital Universitario Ramon y Cajal, Madrid, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:5204-12. 2009
..its first description in 2000, CTX-M-14 has become one of the most widespread extended-spectrum beta-lactamases in Spain. In the present Escherichia coli multilevel population genetic study involving the characterization of phylogroups,..
- Significant differences in the use of healthcare resources of native-born and foreign born in Spain
Unit of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Rey Juan Carlos University, Alcorcon, Madrid, Spain
BMC Public Health 9:201. 2009
In the last decade, the number of foreign residents in Spain has doubled and it has become one of the countries in the European Union with the highest number of immigrants There is no doubt that the health of the immigrant population has ..
- Seroprevalence of Leishmania infantum in northwestern Spain, an area traditionally considered free of leishmaniasis
College of Veterinary Medicine, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1026:154-7. 2004
Northwestern Spain has traditionally been considered to be free from leishmaniasis...
- Nonylphenol and octylphenol in adipose tissue of women in Southern Spain
M J Lopez-Espinosa
Laboratory of Medical Investigations, San Cecilio University Hospital, University of Granada, CIBER de Epidemiología y Salud Pública CIBERESP, 18071 Granada, Spain
Chemosphere 76:847-52. 2009
..NP) and 4-octylphenol (OP) residues in adipose tissue of non-occupationally exposed women living in Southern Spain. NP was detected in 100% (n=20/20) and OP in 23.5% (n=4/20) of samples, with median levels of 57 and 4...
- Zoonotic Dirofilaria immitis infections in a province of Northern Spain
Laboratory of Parasitology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Salamanca, Salamanca, Spain
Epidemiol Infect 138:380-3. 2010
..In our study, epidemiological data on canine and human dirofilariasis for La Rioja (Northern Spain) have been obtained for the first time. The overall prevalence of D...
- Prevalence and diversity of integrons and associated resistance genes in faecal Escherichia coli isolates of healthy humans in Spain
Área de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular, Universidad de La Rioja, Logrono, Spain
J Antimicrob Chemother 62:934-7. 2008
To analyse the prevalence and diversity of integrons in faecal Escherichia coli isolates from healthy humans in Spain.
- Influenza A virus subtypes in wild birds in North-Eastern Spain (Catalonia)
Centre de Recerca en Sanitat Animal CReSA, UAB IRTA, Campus de la Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
Virus Res 149:10-8. 2010
..subtypes of avian influenza viruses (AIV) in wild birds in the West Mediterranean area (Catalonia, North-Eastern Spain)...
- Retrospective study on swine Torque teno virus genogroups 1 and 2 infection from 1985 to 2005 in Spain
Centre de Recerca en Sanitat Animal, UAB IRTA, Campus de la Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
Vet Microbiol 134:199-207. 2009
..This study represents the earliest evidence of TTV infection in pigs to date, 14 years before the initial description of this virus. Moreover, this is also the earliest evidence of TTV infection in any species...
- [Scientific production in infectious diseases in Spain (1991-2001): position within the European Union]
José Manuel Ramos-Rincón
Unidad de Enfermedades Infecciosas Servicio de Medicina Interna Hospital General Universitario de Elche Alicante España
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 22:22-8. 2004
..The objective of this study was to quantitatively determine Spain's medical research output published in the journals included in the Infectious Diseases section of the Journal ..
- Enteroviruses in Spain over the decade 1998-2007: virological and epidemiological studies
National Centre for Microbiology, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, 28220 Majadahonda, Madrid, Spain
J Clin Virol 47:170-6. 2010
..Human enteroviruses (HEV) are the commonest cause of viral meningitis as well as other pathologies, therefore HEV characterization is important both in patient management and epidemiological investigation...
- Tick-borne zoonotic bacteria in wild and domestic small mammals in northern Spain
J F Barandika
NEIKER, Instituto Vasco de Investigación y Desarrollo Agrario, 48160 Derio Bizkaia, Spain
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:6166-71. 2007
..burnetii, and spotted fever group rickettsiae) infecting 253 small mammals captured in the Basque Country (Spain) were assessed using PCR and reverse line blot hybridization...
- Mutations in GCK and HNF-1alpha explain the majority of cases with clinical diagnosis of MODY in Spain
Endocrinology and Diabetes Research Group, Hospital de Cruces, Barakaldo, Basque Country, Spain
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 67:538-46. 2007
..The aim of this study was to group patients with MODY (maturity-onset diabetes of the young) according to the genetic alterations underlying the disease and to investigate their clinical characteristics...
- Sarcoptic mange in Spanish ibex from Spain
Enfermedades Infecciosas, Departamento de Patologia Animal, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de Murcia, Espana
J Wildl Dis 35:647-59. 1999
..Spanish ibex (Capra pyrenaica hispanica) population of the "Sierras de Cazorla, Segura y Las Villas" Nature Park (Spain) was isolated as the result of a severe epidemic of sarcoptic mange...
- Characterisation of PCV-2 isolates from Spain, Germany and France
Robert Koch Institut, P24 Xenotransplantation, Nordufer 20, 13353, Berlin, Germany
Virus Res 66:65-77. 2000
..This report describes the characterisation of PCV-2 isolates from animals affected with PMWS from Germany, Spain and France. We could demonstrate the presence of circovirus by electron microscope, in situ hybridisation and PCR...
- Risk factors associated with the prevalence of tuberculosis-like lesions in fenced wild boar and red deer in south central Spain
Instituts de Investigación en Recursos cinegéticos IREC CSIC UCLM JCCM, Ronda de Toledo s n, 13080 Ciudad Real, Spain
Vet Res 38:451-64. 2007
In recent decades the management of large game mammals has become increasingly intensive in south central Spain (SCS), resulting in complex epidemiological scenarios for disease maintenance, and has probably impeded schemes to eradicate ..
- Prevalence of COPD in Spain: impact of undiagnosed COPD on quality of life and daily life activities
Fundació Clínic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Thorax 64:863-8. 2009
This study aimed to determine the prevalence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in Spain and identify the level of undiagnosed disease and its impact on health-related quality of life (HRQL) and activities of daily living (..
- Subgingival microbial profiles in chronic periodontitis patients from Chile, Colombia and Spain
ETEP Research Group, Faculty of Dentistry, University Complutense, Madrid, Spain
J Clin Periodontol 35:106-13. 2008
To investigate the subgingival microbiota of distinct periodontitis patient populations, in Chile, Colombia and Spain, using identical clinical and bacteriological methods.
- Economic burden of knee and hip osteoarthritis in Spain
Hospital Clinico San Carlos, Madrid, Spain
Arthritis Rheum 61:158-65. 2009
To estimate the direct and indirect osteoarthritis (OA)-attributable costs and predictors of costs of knee and hip OA in Spain.
- Time trends for thyroid cancer in northwestern Spain: true rise in the incidence of micro and larger forms of papillary thyroid carcinoma
Endocrine, Diabetes, Nutrition and Metabolism Department, University Hospital of Vigo, Vigo, Spain
Thyroid 19:333-40. 2009
..Since data on the epidemiology of thyroid cancer in Spain are scarce, the main goal of this study was to analyze changes in thyroid cancer presentation, incidence, and ..
- Levels of heavy metals and metalloids in critically endangered Iberian lynx and other wild carnivores from Southern Spain
Department of Conservation Biology, Estacion Biologica de Donana CSIC, Avda Maria Luisa s n, 41013 Sevilla, Spain
Sci Total Environ 399:193-201. 2008
..world with a wild population which probably stands at less than 200 individuals inhabiting two areas in Southern Spain (Doñana and Sierra Morena) that are known to have been contaminated by heavy metals and metalloids due to a long ..
- Improvement in process of care and outcome after a multicenter severe sepsis educational program in Spain
Centro de Críticos, Hospital de Sabadell, CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Instituto Universitario Parc Tauli, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
JAMA 299:2294-303. 2008
..Concern exists that current guidelines for care of patients with severe sepsis and septic shock are followed variably, possibly due to a lack of adequate education...
- Impact of pesticides used in agriculture and vineyards to surface and groundwater quality (North Spain)
Department of Environmental Chemistry, IIQAB Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Jordi Girona 18 26, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Water Res 42:3315-26. 2008
..Only trace levels were rarely detected in the Miño river basin. Groundwater levels were higher than surface water levels for the studied pesticides...
- Prevalence of chronic renal disease in Spain: results of the EPIRCE study
Nephrology Department, Ourense Hospital, Orense, Spain
Nefrologia 30:78-86. 2010
..Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is an independent cardiovascular risk factor. The knowledge of prevalence in general population may help to early detection of CKD and prevent or delay its progression...
- Primary Sjögren syndrome in Spain: clinical and immunologic expression in 1010 patients
Department of Autoimmune Diseases, IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Medicine (Baltimore) 87:210-9. 2008
..Primary SS should be considered as a systemic autoimmune disease that can express in many guises beyond sicca involvement...
- [HIV infection in immigrants in Spain: Epidemiological characteristics and clinical presentation in the CoRIS Cohort (2004-2006)]
Ana María Caro-Murillo
Centro Nacional de Epidemiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovacion, Madrid, Espana
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 27:380-8. 2009
A growing number of immigrants are using the public health services for HIV in Spain. We describe the sociodemographic, epidemiological, and clinical characteristics of a cohort of naïve HIV-infected subjects (CoRIS cohort) according to ..
- First record of Culicoides imicola, the main vector of bluetongue virus in Europe, in the Basque Country (northern Spain)
Laboratorio de Entomologia, NEIKER Tecnalia, Instituto Vasco de Investigación y Desarrollo Agrario, Apdo 46 Arkaute, E01080 Vitoria Gasteiz, Spain
Vet Rec 162:820-1. 2008
- HIV-1 transmission cluster with T215D revertant mutation among newly diagnosed patients from the Basque Country, Spain
Maria Teresa Cuevas
Viral Pathogenesis Department, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Majadahonda, Madrid, Spain
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 51:99-103. 2009
To determine the introduction of HIV-1 genetic forms and to examine transmission clusters and resistance to antiretroviral inhibitors among newly diagnosed patients from the Basque Country, Spain, during 2004-2007.
- Extended-spectrum and CMY-type beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli in clinical samples and retail meat from Pittsburgh, USA and Seville, Spain
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Clin Microbiol Infect 16:33-8. 2010
..coli at hospitals in Pittsburgh, USA and Seville, Spain were investigated. Retail meat purchased in these cities was also studied for the presence of these organisms...
- Human tuberculosis due to Mycobacterium bovis and M. caprae in Spain, 2004-2007
National Centre for Epidemiology, Carlos III Institute of Health, Madrid, Spain
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 13:1536-41. 2009
To identify the characteristics associated with human tuberculosis (TB) caused by Mycobacterium bovis and M. caprae in Spain.
- FLIP-2 Study: risk factors linked to respiratory syncytial virus infection requiring hospitalization in premature infants born in Spain at a gestational age of 32 to 35 weeks
Neonatology Hospital Clínic, Institut de Ginecologia, Obstetricia i Neonatologia, Barcelona, Spain
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:788-93. 2008
..of the present study was to validate the risk factors found in a previous epidemiologic case-control study regarding hospitalization as a result of RSV infection in premature infants born at 32-35 weeks of gestational age (WGA) in Spain.
- Finding of Parastrongylus cantonensis (Chen, 1935) in Rattus rattus in Tenerife, Canary Islands (Spain)
Institute of Tropical Diseases and Public Health of the Canary Islands, Avda Astrofísico Fco Sánchez s n, 38203 Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain
Acta Trop 114:123-7. 2010
..In the Canary Islands (Spain) a survey of helminths of Rattus rattus, Rattus norvegicus and Mus musculus domesticus was carried out...
- Characterization of West Nile virus isolates from Spain: new insights into the distinct West Nile virus eco-epidemiology in the Western Mediterranean
Centro de Investigación en Sanidad Animal del Instituto Nacional de Investigación y Tecnología Agraria y Alimentaria, Ctra Algete El Casar, S N, 28130, Valdeolmos Madrid, Spain
Virology 395:289-97. 2009
..Here we report the characterization of two recent Western Mediterranean WNV isolates, obtained in Spain in 2007 from two golden eagles...
- Ambient air levels of volatile organic compounds (VOC) and nitrogen dioxide (NO2) in a medium size city in Northern Spain
M A Parra
Laboratorio Integrado de Calidad Ambiental LICA, Departamento de Quimica y Edafologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Navarra Irunlarrea 1, 31008, Pamplona, Navarra, Spain
Sci Total Environ 407:999-1009. 2009
..dioxide (NO2) were measured by means of passive sampling at 40 sampling points in a medium-size city in Northern Spain, from June 2006 to June 2007...
- Hospital admission is a relevant source of hepatitis C virus acquisition in Spain
Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, IDIBAPS, Ciber de Enfermedades Hepaticas y Digestivas, CIBERehd, Spain
J Hepatol 48:20-7. 2008
..The aim of this study was to investigate the current relevance of nosocomial HCV infection...
- Prevalence and incidence of hypopituitarism in an adult Caucasian population in northwestern Spain
Endocrine Division, General Hospital of Vigo, Spain
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 55:735-40. 2001
..population comprised an average population sample of 146,000 adult inhabitants in South Galicia (northwestern Spain)...
- Capsule switching among C:2b:P1.2,5 meningococcal epidemic strains after mass immunization campaign, Spain
Centro Nacional de Microbiologia Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
Emerg Infect Dis 8:1512-4. 2002
A mass immunization campaign for 18-month to 19-year-olds was undertaken in Spain in 1996-1997 because of an epidemic of serogroup C meningococcal disease associated with a C:2b:P1.2,5 strain belonging to the A4 lineage...
- Air pollution exposure during pregnancy and reduced birth size: a prospective birth cohort study in Valencia, Spain
Center for Public Health Research CSISP, Conselleria de Sanitat, 46020, Valencia, Spain
Environ Health 9:6. 2010
..The objective of this study was to assess the association between exposure to air pollution during pregnancy and anthropometric measures at birth in a cohort in Valencia, Spain.
- Cloning and sequence of the gene encoding a novel cefotaxime-hydrolyzing beta-lactamase (CTX-M-9) from Escherichia coli in Spain
Departament de Microbiologia, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Universitat Autònoma 08025 Barcelona, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 44:1970-3. 2000
..Outside of this region there are only six amino acids substitutions between both proteins...
- Clinical risk conditions for acute lung injury in the intensive care unit and hospital ward: a prospective observational study
Niall D Ferguson
Interdepartmental Division of Critical Care Medicine, University Health Network, University of Toronto, 399 Bathurst Street, F2 150, Toronto, Ontario M5T 2S8, Canada
Crit Care 11:R96. 2007
- Role of European mitochondrial DNA haplogroups in the prevalence of hip osteoarthritis in Galicia, Northern Spain
Osteoarticular and Aging Research Laboratory, Biomedical Center Research, INIBIC Rheumatology Division, CH Universitario A Coruña, Coruna, Spain
Ann Rheum Dis 69:210-3. 2010
..To analyse the mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) haplogroups of patients with hip osteoarthritis (OA) and those of healthy controls in a Spanish population...
- Studies on pharmaceutical ethnobotany in the region of Pallars (Pyrenees, Catalonia, Iberian Peninsula). Part I. General results and new or very rare medicinal plants
, , Universitat de Barcelona. Av. Joan XXIII s/n, 08028 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
J Ethnopharmacol 77:57-70. 2001
..Further papers will deal with unreported or very uncommon uses for known medicinal plant species and with medicinal non-vascular plants...
- Epidemiology and cost of treatment of genital warts in Spain
Cancer Epidemiology Research Program, Institut Catala d Oncologia, IDIBELL, CIBERESP, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Spain
Eur J Public Health 19:106-10. 2009
..Ninety percent of GW are due to Human Papillomavirus (HPV) types 6 and 11. The objective of this study was to assess the epidemiology and management costs associated with GW in Spain.
- Prevalence of Brachyspira species in pigs with diarrhoea in Spain
Departamento de Sanidad Animal Enfermedades Infecciosas y Epidemiología, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de Leon, E 24071 Leon, Spain
Vet Rec 158:700-1. 2006
- Emergence and dissemination of Enterobacteriaceae isolates producing CTX-M-1-like enzymes in Spain are associated with IncFII (CTX-M-15) and broad-host-range (CTX-M-1, -3, and -32) plasmids
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital Universitario Ramon y Cajal, IMSALUD, Carretera de Colmenar, Km 9 1, Madrid 28034, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:796-9. 2007
The spread of CTX-M-1-like enzymes in Spain is associated with particular plasmids of broad-host-range IncN (blaCTX-M-32, blaCTX-M-1), IncL/M (blaCTX-M-1), and IncA/C2 (blaCTX-M-3) or narrow-host-range IncFII (blaCTX-M-15)...
- Epizootiology of sarcoptic mange in a population of cantabrian chamois (Rupicapra pyrenaica parva) in northwestern Spain
Zoo de Barcelona, Parc de La Ciutadella, Spain
Vet Parasitol 73:163-71. 1997
..was detected in the chamois (Rupicapra pyrenaica parva) population of the Cantabrian Mountains in northwestern Spain. The epizootic initially spread across an area inhabited by some 1600 chamois...
- The virus causing encephalomyelitis in sheep in Spain: a new member of the tick-borne encephalitis group
M S Marin
Institute of Virology and Environmental Microbiology, Edinburgh
Res Vet Sci 58:11-3. 1995
..It is concluded that the cause of sheep encephalomyelitis in Spain is a distinct species in the tick-borne encephalitis virus group.
- Unmet home care needs among community-dwelling elderly people in Spain
Centro Universitario de Salud Pública, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Aging Clin Exp Res 15:234-42. 2003
..The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of home care needs and the factors associated with unmet home care needs among community-dwelling elderly people in Spain.
- The Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire: a validated Spanish version to assess the health status in women with fibromyalgia
Rheumatology Unit, Instituto Provincial de Rehabilitación, Hospital Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Madrid, Spain
Clin Exp Rheumatol 22:554-60. 2004
..To translate, adapt, validate and assess the sensitivity to change of a Spanish version of the Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQ-S)...
- Effectiveness of physical activity advice and prescription by physicians in routine primary care: a cluster randomized trial
MS Basque Health Service Osakidetza, Primary Care Research Unit of Bizkaia, Luis Power, 18 4 feminine Planta, Bilbao E 48014, Spain
Arch Intern Med 169:694-701. 2009
..The effectiveness of the PEPAF ("Experimental Program for Physical Activity Promotion"), which was implemented exclusively by physicians in routine primary care from October 2003 to December 2004, was assessed...
- Epidemiology of hip fracture in the elderly in Spain
M Loreto Alvarez-Nebreda
Geriatrics Department, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Madrid, Spain
Bone 42:278-85. 2008
..incidence and epidemiological characteristics of hip fracture (HF) in patients aged 65 years or over in the various autonomous regions (AR) of Spain from the year 2000 to 2002 and to determine which factors affect in-hospital mortality.
- Salmonella diversity associated with wild reptiles and amphibians in Spain
Departamento de Sanidad Animal, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Environ Microbiol 6:868-71. 2004
..from 166 wild reptiles (94 individuals) and amphibians (72 individuals) from 21 different species found in central Spain were examined for the presence of Salmonella. Thirty-nine reptiles (41...
- Smoking initiation and cessation by gender and educational level in Catalonia, Spain
Institut Catala d Oncologia, L Hospitalet, Barcelona, Spain
Prev Med 32:218-23. 2001
..The aim of this study was to analyze smoking initiation and cessation according to level of education and gender in Catalonia, Spain.
- Intra- and interspecific competition between biotypes B and Q of Bemisia tabaci (Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae) from Spain
Instituto Nacional de Investigacion y Tecnologia Agraria y Alimentaria, Plant Protection Department, Madrid, Spain
Bull Entomol Res 94:369-75. 2004
..The results indicate that under laboratory conditions the studied biotype B should displace biotype Q...
- Epidemiological evidence of the spread of a Mycobacterium tuberculosis strain of the Beijing genotype on Gran Canaria Island
J A Caminero
Service of Pneumology, Emergency Department, University General Hospital Dr Negrín, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 164:1165-70. 2001
..This study has demonstrated rapid dissemination of this strain of the Beijing genotype. This genotype might play an important role in the future of the worldwide tuberculosis epidemic...
- Hospital emergency department utilisation rates among the immigrant population in Barcelona, Spain
Health Services Evaluation and Clinical Epidemiology Department, IMIM Hospital del Mar, Barcelona, Spain
BMC Health Serv Res 8:51. 2008
..However, utilisation rates in our environment have not yet been studied. We aimed to compare emergency department utilisation rates between Spanish-born and foreign-born residents in a public hospital of Barcelona...
- Spatial and temporal evolution of bluetongue virus in wild ruminants, Spain
Instituto de Investigacion en Recursos Cinegeticos, Ciudad Real, Spain
Emerg Infect Dis 14:951-3. 2008
We confirmed the emergence of bluetongue virus (BTV) in 5 wild ruminant species in Spain. BTV seroprevalence was high and dispersed with time, with a south-to-north gradient...
- Tuberculosis treatment adherence and fatality in Spain
Joan A Cayla
Programa Integrado de Investigación en Tuberculosis PII TB de la Sociedad Española de Neumología y Cirugía Torácica SEPAR, Spain
Respir Res 10:121. 2009
..Always some patients abandon the treatment or die. The objective of this study is to identify factors associated with defaulting from or dying during antituberculosis treatment...
- Prevalence of swine Torque teno virus in post-weaning multisystemic wasting syndrome (PMWS)-affected and non-PMWS-affected pigs in Spain
Centre de Recerca en Sanitat Animal CReSA, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
J Gen Virol 87:833-7. 2006
..These results indicate a high prevalence of both swine TTV genogroups in Spain, being present more frequently in PMWS-affected animals than in non-PMWS-affected animals.
- Multiple simultaneous viral infections in infants with acute respiratory tract infections in Spain
Pediatrics Department, Severo Ochoa Hospital, Madrid, Spain
J Clin Virol 42:268-72. 2008
..The clinical significance of the presence of more than one type of virus in the respiratory specimens of children with respiratory infections is not clear...
- Prevalence of antibodies to Toxoplasma gondii and intestinal parasites in stray, farm and household cats in Spain
Departamento de Sanidad Animal, Facultad de Veterinaria, Avda Puerta de Hierro s n, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Vet Parasitol 126:249-55. 2004
Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii was tested for in 585 cats in different regions of Spain. Sera were tested by the indirect immunofluorescence antibody test (IFAT)...
- Characteristics of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in Spain from a gender perspective
School of Health Sciences, Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, Alcorcon, Madrid, Spain
BMC Pulm Med 9:2. 2009
..The objective of this study was to analyze the clinical and management characteristics of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in men and women, to determine possible gender-associated differences between the two groups of patients...
- Lack of association between macrophage migration inhibitory factor-173 gene polymorphism with disease susceptibility and cardiovascular risk in rheumatoid arthritis patients from northwestern Spain
Instituto de Parasitologia y Biomedicina, Lopez Neyra, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas CSIC, Granada, Spain
Clin Exp Rheumatol 28:68-72. 2010
- Growing frequency of neurocysticercosis in Madrid (Spain)
Servicio de Neurologia, Hospital Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Doctor Esquierdo 46, Madrid, Spain
Neurologia 20:116-20. 2005
The aim of this study is to report on the growing frequency of neurocysticercosis (NCC) in Madrid (Spain) related to changes in migratory flows...
- Pediatric parapneumonic empyema, Spain
Virgen del Rocio Children s Hospital, Seville, Spain
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1390-7. 2008
Pediatric parapneumonic empyema (PPE) has been increasing in several countries including Spain. Streptococcus pneumoniae is a major PPE pathogen; however, antimicrobial pretreatment before pleural fluid (PF) sampling frequently results ..
- Impact and effectiveness of meningococcal C conjugate vaccine following its introduction in Spain
Red Nacional de Vigilancia Epidemiológica, Centro Nacional de Epidemiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Sinesio Delgado 6, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Vaccine 23:4097-100. 2005
..impact of meningococcal C conjugate vaccine on age groups targeted by this vaccination programme in Spain, and estimates high short-term vaccine effectiveness values under field conditions in the 4 years following its ..
- Niemann-Pick C disease in Spain: clinical spectrum and development of a disability scale
Servei de Neurologia, Hospital Sant Joan de Deu, Pg Sant Joan de Déu, 2 08950 Esplugues de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
J Neurol Sci 249:1-6. 2006
..To describe the clinical evolution of Niemann-Pick C disease to identify possible factors involved in the diagnosis and severity of the disease...
- Frequent recombination in a saltern population of Halorubrum
R Thane Papke
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Dalhousie University, 5859 University Avenue, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4H7, Canada
Science 306:1928-9. 2004
..We used multi-locus sequence typing to demonstrate that haloarchaea exchange genetic information promiscuously, exhibiting a degree of linkage equilibrium approaching that of a sexual population...
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV) infection in pregnant women and mother-to-child transmission of genital HPV genotypes: a prospective study in Spain
Unit of Infections and Cancer UNIC, Cancer Epidemiology Research Program CERP, IDIBELL Institut Català d Oncologia ICO, Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
BMC Infect Dis 9:74. 2009
..Studies on HPV infection in pregnant women and HPV transmission to the child have yielded inconsistent results...
- Validation the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP-14sp) for adults in Spain
Department of Dentistry, School of Medicine, University of Salamanca, Spain
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 14:E44-50. 2009
..One of the most internationally spread indicators is the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP-14), but it has still never been applied in Spain. The aim of this study was to validate the OHIP-14 for use among adults in Spain.
- Intestinal microsporidiosis due to Enterocytozoon bieneusi in elderly human immunodeficiency virus--negative patients from Vigo, Spain
Laboratorio de Parasitologia, Universidad de Vigo, and Laboratorio de Microbiología, Hospital do Meixoeiro, Vigo, Madrid, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 34:918-21. 2002
..In our opinion, elderly patients, because of their special immunological characteristics, should be considered a group at risk for the acquisition of intestinal microsporidiosis...
- Primary biliary cirrhosis specific antinuclear antibodies in patients from Spain
Dimitrios Petrou Bogdanos
Am J Gastroenterol 99:763-4; author reply 765. 2004
- Changes in the distribution of hepatitis C virus (HCV) genotypes over time in Spain according to HIV serostatus: implications for HCV therapy in HCV/HIV-coinfected patients
Department of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Carlos III, Calle Sinesio Delgado 10, 28029 Madrid, Spain
J Infect 54:173-9. 2007
..Changes in the prevalence of distinct hepatitis C virus (HCV) genotypes and subtypes over time have not been explored in detail...
- SLC45A2: a novel malignant melanoma-associated gene
L P Fernandez
Human Genetics Group, Human Cancer Genetics Program, Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncologicas, Madrid, Spain
Hum Mutat 29:1161-7. 2008
..This is the first time SLC45A2 has been described as a melanoma susceptibility gene in a light-skinned population...
- Haloquadratum walsbyi gen. nov., sp. nov., the square haloarchaeon of Walsby, isolated from saltern crystallizers in Australia and Spain
David G Burns
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 57:387-92. 2007
..nov., sp. nov. The type strain of Haloquadratum walsbyi is C23T (=JCM 12705T=DSM 16854T)...
- Prevalence and susceptibility profile of Candida metapsilosis and Candida orthopsilosis: results from population-based surveillance of candidemia in Spain
Servicio de Micologia, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Majadahonda, Madrid, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:1506-9. 2008
..The prevalences of these species (1.7% for C. metapsilosis and 1.4% for C. orthopsilosis) are significant. Differences observed in their susceptibility profiles could have therapeutic importance...
- Hereditary angioedema due to C1 inhibitor deficiency: patient registry and approach to the prevalence in Spain
Unidad de Inmunologia, Hospital Universitario La Paz, Madrid, Spain
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 94:498-503. 2005
..Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is a rare disease caused by C1 inhibitor mutations. Although more than 100 mutations have been described, epidemiologic data are lacking; therefore, we developed a Spanish HAE patient registry...
- Seroepidemiology of hepatitis B virus infection in pregnant women in Catalonia (Spain)
Department of Public Health, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Virol 44:329-32. 2009
..In recent years there has been a substantial reduction in hepatitis B incidence as a result of routine vaccination of preadolescents and the selective vaccination of high risk groups and newborns of HBsAg+ mothers...
- High prevalence of helminth parasites in feral cats in Majorca Island (Spain)
Sanitat i Control de Fauna Wildlife Health and Control, Conselleria de Medi Ambient, Govern de les Illes Balears Fundacio Natura Parc, 07142, Santa Eugènia Balearic Islands, Spain
Parasitol Res 106:183-8. 2009
Feral cats are widespread in the countryside of Majorca (Balearic Islands, Spain). Since they are not subject of sanitary control, they can act as reservoir of parasites of veterinary and zoonotic interest...
- Prevalence of dementia and cognitive impairment in Southeastern Spain: the Ariadna study
Epidemiology Department, Murcia Health Council, Murcia, Spain
Acta Neurol Scand 120:300-7. 2009
..To estimate the prevalence of amnestic mild cognitive impairment (aMCI), cognitive impairment, no dementia (CIND) and dementia in a general elderly population and to examine the associated socio-demographic factors...
- Determinants of organochlorine levels detectable in the amniotic fluid of women from Tenerife Island (Canary Islands, Spain)
Octavio P Luzardo
Toxicology Unit, Department of Clinical Sciences, University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, P O Box 550, 35080 Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
Environ Res 109:607-13. 2009
..to evaluate the level of contamination of AF by OCs in 100 pregnant women from Tenerife Island (Canary Islands, Spain)...
- Advance directives in Spain. Perspectives from a medical bioethicist approach
University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Bioethics 22:346-54. 2008
b>Spain is one of the most advanced European countries in terms of the legislative and administrative development of ADs...
- Several factors influenced attrition in a population-based elderly cohort: neurological disorders in Central Spain Study
El Espinar Health Center, El Espinar, Segovia, Spain
J Clin Epidemiol 63:215-22. 2010
..We studied attrition (i.e., participant dropout) 3 years after the baseline interview in a population-based Spanish cohort...
- Invasive Streptococcus pneumoniae infections in children and older adults in the north of Spain before and after the introduction of the heptavalent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital Donostia, Paseo Dr Beguiristain s n, 20014, San Sebastian, Spain
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 28:731-8. 2009
..investigated the effect of the use of the heptavalent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV7) in an area of northern Spain, where all recorded cases of invasive pneumococcal diseases (IPD) were included (n = 450; 91 between 1996-2007 in ..
- Sleep duration, general and abdominal obesity, and weight change among the older adult population of Spain
Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, School of Medicine, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Am J Clin Nutr 87:310-6. 2008
..Short sleep duration is associated with obesity and weight gain among children and young adults. However, there are few studies on the elderly, with conflicting results...
- Prevalence, evolution, and features of infection with human papillomavirus: a 15-year longitudinal study of routine screening of a women population in the north of Spain
Maria de Ona
Unit of Virology, Hospital Universitario de Asturias, Oviedo, Asturias, Spain
J Med Virol 82:597-604. 2010
..The objective of this study was to determine HPV infection in two areas in the north of Spain, and their evolution in the last 15 years...
- Venous thromboembolism in Spain. Comparison between an administrative database and the RIETE registry
Servicio de Medicina Interna, Hospital Universitario Carlos Haya de Málaga, Spain
Eur J Intern Med 19:443-6. 2008
..The aim of this study was to validate the baseline characteristics of the RIETE cohort against the much larger national Spanish population-based database...
- Hospitalization rates for human metapneumovirus infection among 0- to 3-year-olds in Gipuzkoa (Basque Country), Spain
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital Donostia, San Sebastian, Spain
Epidemiol Infect 137:66-72. 2009
..6 (95% CI 2.1-3.2), lower than that for respiratory syncytial virus, but higher than that observed for the influenza and parainfluenza viruses. HMPV is a major respiratory pathogen that leads to a high hospitalization rate...
- [Prevalence of obesity, diabetes, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia and metabolic syndrome in over 50-year-olds in Sanlúcar de Barrameda, Spain]
Alejandro López Suárez
Servicio de Medicina Interna, Hospital Virgen del Camino, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, Cadiz, Spain
Rev Esp Cardiol 61:1150-8. 2008
..The aim of this study was to investigate the prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors in the adult population of the city of Sanlúcar de Barrameda in Cádiz...
- First partial face and upper dentition of the Middle Miocene hominoid Dryopithecus fontani from Abocador de Can Mata (Vallès-Penedès Basin, Catalonia, NE Spain): taxonomic and phylogenetic implications
ICREA, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Campus de Bellaterra s n 08193 Cerdanyola del Vallès, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Phys Anthropol 139:126-45. 2009
..Hominidae) from the Catalan site ACM/C3-Ae of the Hostalets de Pierola area (Vallès-Penedès Basin, Catalonia, NE Spain) is described. The new data indicate that D...
- Prevalence of atypical symptoms and their association with typical symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux in Spain
Digestive Disease Service, Hospital Clinico San Carlos, Complutense University, Madrid, Spain
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 18:969-75. 2006
..This study therefore sought to examine the prevalence of atypical symptoms, and their association with typical GER symptoms in Spain.
- Control of persistent asthma in Spain: associated factors
Javier de Miguel Díez
Pulmonology Service, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Madrid, Spain
J Asthma 45:740-6. 2008
..The main objective of asthma treatment is tailored control for each patient. However, despite the excellent therapeutic arsenal currently available, many patients remain unable to achieve adequate control of this disease...
- Coverage and factors associated with cervical cancer screening: results from the AFRODITA study: a population-based survey in Spain
Luis M Puig-Tintore
Gynecologic Oncology, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
J Low Genit Tract Dis 12:82-9. 2008
To quantify the coverage and monitor the factors associated with opportunistic cervical cytological screening in Spain.
- The role of primary care in preventing ambulatory care sensitive conditions
Department of Preventive Medicine, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Eur J Public Health 14:246-51. 2004
- Molecular characterization of a coxsackievirus A24 variant that caused an outbreak of acute haemorrhagic conjunctivitis in Spain, 2004
National Centre for Microbiology, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Majadahonda, Madrid, Spain
J Clin Virol 43:323-7. 2008
..Coxsackievirus A24 variant is one of the major etiological agents involved in acute haemorrhagic conjunctivitis...
- Prevalence and clinical characteristics of norovirus gastroenteritis among hospitalized children in Spain
Carolina Gutiérrez Junquera
Department of Pediatrics, Universitary Hospital of Albacete and Universidad de Castilla La Mancha, Albacete, Spain
Pediatr Infect Dis J 28:604-7. 2009
..The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence and clinical characteristics of norovirus gastroenteritis among hospitalized children...
- Asymptomatic infection by Leishmania infantum in blood donors from the Balearic Islands (Spain)
The Laboratori de Parasitologia, Facultat de Farmacia, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Transfusion 48:1383-9. 2008
..Visceral leishmaniasis (VL) caused by Leishmania infantum is a zoonotic disease endemic throughout the Mediterranean basin. The existence of asymptomatic human infection entails the risk of transmission by blood transfusion...
- Impact of flu on hospital admissions during 4 flu seasons in Spain, 2000-2004
Annick D Lenglet
European Programme for Intervention Epidemiology Training, Smittskyddinstitutet EPI, Solna, Sweden
BMC Public Health 7:197. 2007
..Our objective was to estimate the excess hospital admissions in Spain of diseases associated with influenza during four epidemic influenza periods (2000-2004).
- [Hip and knee arthroplasties in Catalonia [Spain] from 1994 to 2005]
Agència d Avaluació de Tecnologia i Recerca Mèdiques, Barcelona, Espana
Gac Sanit 22:534-40. 2008
..Hip and knee arthroplasties are the most frequent surgical procedures in Catalonia. The aim of this study was to describe changes in the rates of these procedures and in their characteristics between 1994 and 2005...
- Molecular epidemiology and evolution of avian infectious bronchitis virus in Spain over a fourteen-year period
Centre de Recerca en Sanitat Animal CReSA, Esfera UAB, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
Virology 374:50-9. 2008
..molecular study of infectious bronchitis viruses (IBV) with particular interest in evolutionary aspects of IBV in Spain was carried out in the present study based on the S1 gene molecular characterization of twenty-six Spanish strains ..
- Panton-Valentine leukocidin-positive Staphylococcus aureus skin and soft tissue infections among children in an emergency department in Madrid, Spain
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre, Avenida de Cordoba sn, Madrid, Spain
Clin Microbiol Infect 16:74-7. 2010
..001). Most PVL-positive CA-MRSA isolates belonged to a single multilocus sequence type (ST8). In contrast, PVL-positive methicillin-susceptible S. aureus isolates belonged to four different sequence types (ST8, ST30, ST80, ST120)...