- Replication and extension of genome-wide association study results for obesity in 4923 adults from northern Sweden
Department of Public Health and Clinical Medicine, Umea University Hospital, Umea, Sweden
Hum Mol Genet 18:1489-96. 2009
..In summary, we have statistically replicated six of the previously associated obese-risk loci and our results suggest that the weight-inducing effects of these variants are explained largely by increased adipose accumulation...
- Insulin glargine use and short-term incidence of malignancies-a population-based follow-up study in Sweden
J M Jonasson
Division of Clinical Cancer Epidemiology, Department of Oncology, Onkologiskt centrum, Sahlgrenska Academy, 41345, Gothenburg, Sweden
Diabetologia 52:1745-54. 2009
..In the light of a report suggesting that insulin glargine may increase cancer occurrence, the EASD asked us to perform this study...
- Large scale questionnaire survey on respiratory health in Sweden: effects of late- and non-response
Erik P Rönmark
VBG Group Center for Asthma and Allergy Research, Department of Internal Medicine, Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
Respir Med 103:1807-15. 2009
..This can lead to an increased risk for selection bias. The aim of this study was to examine cause and effect of non-response in a large cross sectional study assessing respiratory health in western Sweden.
- Effects of bariatric surgery on cancer incidence in obese patients in Sweden (Swedish Obese Subjects Study): a prospective, controlled intervention trial
The Institutes of Medicine, The Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
Lancet Oncol 10:653-62. 2009
..To our knowledge, the Swedish Obese Subjects (SOS) study is the first intervention trial in the obese population to provide prospective, controlled cancer-incidence data...
- Epidemiology and etiology of ischemic stroke in young adults aged 18 to 44 years in northern Sweden
Department of Neurology, University Hospital, Umea, Sweden
Stroke 28:1702-9. 1997
The aim of this study was to conduct a population-based epidemiological survey among young adults aged 18 to 44 years in Northern Sweden and furthermore to gain further insight into the etiology of ischemic stroke in this age group.
- Prevalence and underdiagnosis of COPD by disease severity and the attributable fraction of smoking Report from the Obstructive Lung Disease in Northern Sweden Studies
The OLIN Studies, Department of Medicine, Sunderby Central Hospital of Norrbotten, SE 971 80 Luleå, Sweden
Respir Med 100:264-72. 2006
..The impact of smoking was evaluated by the population attributable fraction of smoking in COPD...
- Clinical risk factors, DNA variants, and the development of type 2 diabetes
Department of Clinical Sciences, Lund University, Malmo, Sweden
N Engl J Med 359:2220-32. 2008
..Type 2 diabetes mellitus is thought to develop from an interaction between environmental and genetic factors. We examined whether clinical or genetic factors or both could predict progression to diabetes in two prospective cohorts...
- Herpes simplex encephalitis in Sweden, 1990-2001: incidence, morbidity, and mortality
Infectious Diseases Unit, Department of Medicine Solna, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Infect Dis 45:875-80. 2007
..Herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) is a devastating disease...
- Ovarian epithelial neoplasia after hormonal infertility treatment: long-term follow-up of a historical cohort in Sweden
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Fertil Steril 91:1152-8. 2009
..To study the association between hormonal infertility treatment and ovarian neoplasia...
- Physical activity and inactivity in an adult population assessed by accelerometry
Unit for Preventive Nutrition, Department of Biosciences and Nutrition, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Med Sci Sports Exerc 39:1502-8. 2007
..The objective of this study was to assess the levels and pattern of physical activity and inactivity in an adult population sample using an objective method...
- POP levels in breast milk and maternal serum and thyroid hormone levels in mother-child pairs from Uppsala, Sweden
P O Darnerud
National Food Administration, PO Box 622, 751 26 Uppsala, Sweden
Environ Int 36:180-7. 2010
..When comparing studies that investigate associations between TH levels and POP levels during the perinatal stage, no obvious between-study concordance was seen regarding the critical dose for hormonal effects to occur...
- Molecular epidemiology of metallo-beta-lactamase-producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolates from Norway and Sweden shows import of international clones and local clonal expansion
Reference Centre for Detection of Antimicrobial Resistance, Department of Microbiology and Infection Control, University Hospital of North Norway, N 9038 Tromsø, Norway
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:346-52. 2010
..In this study MBL-producing P. aeruginosa isolates identified in Norway (n = 4) and Sweden (n = 9) from 1999 to 2007 were characterized...
- Determinants of integrated health care development: chains of care in Sweden
Nordic School of Public Health, Goteborg, Sweden
Int J Health Plann Manage 22:145-57. 2007
Local health care in Sweden is an emerging form of integrated care, linked together by chains of care. Experiences show, however, that the development of chains of care is making slow progress...
- Single nucleotide polymorphisms in the proximal promoter region of the adiponectin (APM1) gene are associated with type 2 diabetes in Swedish caucasians
Harvest F Gu
Rolf Luft Center for Diabetes Research, Department of Molecular Medicine, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Diabetes 53:S31-5. 2004
..The present study provides additional evidence that SNPs in the proximal promoter region of the APM1 gene contribute to the development of type 2 diabetes...
- Efficacy and safety of atomoxetine as add-on to psychoeducation in the treatment of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study in stimulant-naïve Swedish children and adolescents
Eli Lilly Sweden AB, Gustav III Boulevard 42, Box 721, 169 27, Solna, Sweden
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 18:240-9. 2009
..HRQL results will be presented elsewhere. Here, psychoeducation as well as efficacy and safety of the treatment are described...
- Modelling the decreasing coronary heart disease mortality in Sweden between 1986 and 2002
Department of Emergency and Cardiovascular Medicine, Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
Eur Heart J 30:1046-56. 2009
Coronary heart disease (CHD) mortality rates have been falling in Sweden since the 1980s...
- The disabilities of the arm, shoulder and hand (DASH) outcome questionnaire: reliability and validity of the Swedish version evaluated in 176 patients
Department or Orthopedics, Hassleholm Kristianstad Hospitals, Sweden
Acta Orthop Scand 71:613-8. 2000
..The Swedish version of the DASH is a reliable and valid instrument that can provide a standardized measure of patient-centered outcomes in upper-extremity musculoskeletal conditions...
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumors: the incidence, prevalence, clinical course, and prognostication in the preimatinib mesylate era--a population-based study in western Sweden
Department of Surgery, The Lundberg Laboratory for Cancer Research, , , Sweden
Cancer 103:821-9. 2005
..METHODS: All patients (n=1460) who potentially had GIST diagnosed from 1983 to 2000 in western Sweden (population, 1.3-1.6 million) were reviewed, and 288 patients with primary GIST were identified...
- Standardized incidence rates of total hip replacement for primary hip osteoarthritis in the 5 Nordic countries: similarities and differences
L Stefan Lohmander
Department of Orthopaedics, Lund University, Sweden
Acta Orthop 77:733-40. 2006
..countries provide an opportunity to compare age- and sex-standardized annual incidence of primary total hip replacement (THR) and types of implants used for primary hip osteoarthritis (OA) in Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden.
- Etanercept, infliximab, and leflunomide in established rheumatoid arthritis: clinical experience using a structured follow up programme in southern Sweden
Department of Rheumatology, Lund University Hospital, S 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Ann Rheum Dis 61:793-8. 2002
- Borderline ovarian tumors in Sweden 1960-2005: trends in incidence and age at diagnosis compared to ovarian cancer
Department of Women s and Children s Health, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Int J Cancer 123:1897-901. 2008
..The aim of the study was to investigate long-term trends in the incidence of borderline tumors and ovarian cancer in Sweden during 1960-2005, based on data from the population-based Swedish Cancer Register...
- Estimating disease prevalence using a population-based administrative healthcare database
Ann Britt E Wiréhn
Department of Health and Society, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
Scand J Public Health 35:424-31. 2007
In Ostergötland County, Sweden, all data on hospital care and primary healthcare (PHC) have been entered in a diagnosis-related administrative database since 1999...
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of a universal vaccination programme with the 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV-7) in Sweden
Swedish Institute for Health Economics, Lund, Sweden
Scand J Infect Dis 40:721-9. 2008
..of vaccination with the 7-valent conjugated pneumococcal vaccine compared with no vaccination, in all infants in Sweden, taking herd immunity into account...
- Socio-economic factors, lifestyle, and headache disorders - a population-based study in Sweden
Västmanland County Council, Department of Community Medicine, Vasteras, Sweden
Headache 48:1426-37. 2008
..To study the association between socio-economic factors, lifestyle habits, and self-reported recurrent headache/migraine (RH/M) in a general population...
- Poststroke fatigue: a 2-year follow-up study of stroke patients in Sweden
Eva Lotta Glader
Department of Public Health and Clinical Medicine, University Hospital, Umea, Sweden
Stroke 33:1327-33. 2002
..Fatigue is common among stroke patients. This study determined the prevalence of fatigue among long-term survivors after stroke and what impact fatigue had on various aspects of daily life and on survival...
- Gender differences and temporal variation in the incidence of type 1 diabetes: results of 8012 cases in the nationwide Diabetes Incidence Study in Sweden 1983-2002
Department of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, Stockholm
J Intern Med 263:386-94. 2008
..To establish the gender difference amongst newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic patients aged 15-34 years, considering age at diagnosis, temporal trend and seasonal variation at time of diagnosis...
- Migration and differences in dietary habits-a cross sectional study of Finnish twins in Sweden
Department of Epidemiology, Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Clin Nutr 63:312-22. 2009
To compare dietary habits between Finnish twin migrants to Sweden and their co-twins always living in Finland, and to analyse how migration influenced food consumption patterns in the migrants.
- Surgery and risk of sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in Denmark and Sweden: registry-based case-control studies
Department of Applied Epidemiology, National Center for Epidemiology, and Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red sobre Enfermedades Neurodegenerativas CIBERNED, Carlos III Institute of Health, Madrid, Spain
Neuroepidemiology 31:229-40. 2008
..Epidemiologic evidence of surgical transmission of sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (sCJD) remains controversial...
- Pesticides in stream water within an agricultural catchment in southern Sweden, 1990-1996
Department of Soil Sciences, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden
Sci Total Environ 216:227-51. 1998
Pesticide loss to stream water was studied in a small agricultural catchment in southern Sweden during the period 1990-1996...
- Alcohol consumption and motivation to reduce drinking among emergency care patients in Sweden
Department of Medical and Health Science, Division of Community Medicine, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
Int J Inj Contr Saf Promot 16:133-41. 2009
..There were small differences in the drinking variables and motivation to reduce drinking between injury patients and non-injury patients...
- Knee arthroplasty in Denmark, Norway and Sweden
The Swedish Knee Arthroplasty Register, Dept of Orthopedics, Clinical Sciences, Lund, Lund University, Sweden
Acta Orthop 81:82-9. 2010
..The number of national arthroplasty registries is increasing. However, the methods of registration, classification, and analysis often differ...
- Satisfaction with current migraine therapy: experience from 3 centers in US and Sweden
Albert Einstein College of Medicine Neurology, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Headache 47:475-9. 2007
..To assess the level of satisfaction and determinants of satisfaction or dissatisfaction of patients presenting in tertiary care, in regard to their usual care (UC) for the acute treatment of migraine...
- One-year survival of extremely preterm infants after active perinatal care in Sweden
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Lund University Hospital, S 221 85 Lund, Sweden
JAMA 301:2225-33. 2009
..Up-to-date information on infant survival after extremely preterm birth is needed for assessing perinatal care services, clinical guidelines, and parental counseling...
- Sickness absence and disability pension in a cohort of employees initially on long-term sick leave due to psychiatric disorders in Sweden
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Section of Personal Injury Prevention, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 42:381-8. 2007
- Genetic diversity among food-borne and waterborne norovirus strains causing outbreaks in Sweden
Department of Virology, Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control, Solna, Sweden
J Clin Microbiol 47:2411-8. 2009
..The high degree of genetic diversity found among norovirus strains causing food-borne and waterborne infections stresses the importance of the use of broad reaction detection methods when such outbreaks are investigated...
- Costs and benefits to Sweden of Swedish road safety research
Institute of Transport Economics, Gaustadalleen 21, NO 0349 Oslo, Norway
Accid Anal Prev 41:387-92. 2009
..designed to answer the following question: what are the benefits to Swedish society of road safety research in Sweden funded by the Swedish Transport Research Council and the programme for vehicle safety research during the period ..
- Incidence of human papillomavirus (HPV) positive tonsillar carcinoma in Stockholm, Sweden: an epidemic of viral-induced carcinoma?
Department of Oncology Pathology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Cancer 125:362-6. 2009
..In conclusion, the incidence of HPV-positive cancers is still increasing in the County of Stockholm, suggesting an epidemic of a virus-induced carcinoma, with soon practically all tonsillar SCC being HPV positive, as in cervical cancer...
- Genetic and environmental effects on same-sex sexual behavior: a population study of twins in Sweden
Centre for Violence Prevention, Karolinska Institutet, P O Box 23000, 104 35, Stockholm, Sweden
Arch Sex Behav 39:75-80. 2010
..We used data from a truly population-based 2005-2006 survey of all adult twins (20-47 years) in Sweden to conduct the largest twin study of same-sex sexual behavior attempted so far...
- The reversal of the relation between economic growth and health progress: Sweden in the 19th and 20th centuries
JOSE A TAPIA GRANADOS
Institute of Labor and Industrial Relations and School of Social Work, University of Michigan, 1111 East Catherine Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2054, United States
J Health Econ 27:544-63. 2008
..In this investigation it is shown that economic growth is positively associated with health progress in Sweden throughout the 19th century...
- Physical activity on prescription in primary health care: a follow-up of physical activity level and quality of life
L V Kallings
Department of Neurobiology, Health Care Sciences and Society Center for Family and Community Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge, Sweden
Scand J Med Sci Sports 18:154-61. 2008
- Evidence-based practice and determinants of research use in elderly care in Sweden
Anne Marie Boström
Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society, Division of Nursing, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Eval Clin Pract 13:665-73. 2007
..In Sweden, elderly care (EC) has shifted from hospital care to community-based care, and the major nursing-staff group in EC ..
- Risk factor control in treated hypertensives from Estonia and Sweden. Why the difference?
Peter M Nilsson
Department of Clinical Sciences, University Hospital Malmo, Lund University, Sweden
Blood Press 16:301-4. 2007
- Co-operation as a strategy for provision of welfare services--a study of a rehabilitation project in Sweden
Nordic School of Public Health, P O Box 12133, SE 402 42 Goteborg, Sweden
Eur J Public Health 17:532-6. 2007
..This study is describing and analysing the co-operation between agencies involved in a rehabilitation project in Sweden, and discussing such inter-agency co-operation as a strategy for provision of complex welfare services.
- Secular trends of pedometer-determined physical activity in Swedish school children
School of Human Sciences, Division of Physical Education, University of Kalmar, Sweden
Acta Paediatr 96:1824-8. 2007
..To explore the secular trends (time change) of pedometer-determined physical activity (steps per day) in Swedish schoolchildren 7-9 years of age from 2000 to 2006. It was an additional aim to examine the secular trends in body mass index...
- Road traffic noise and hypertension
Gösta Leon Bluhm
Unit of Environmental Epidemiology, Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Occup Environ Med 64:122-6. 2007
..It has been suggested that noise exposure increases the risk of hypertension. Road traffic is the dominant source of community noise exposure...
- Is it better to be big? The reconfiguration of 21st century hospitals: responses to a hospital merger in Sweden
Nordic School of Public Health, SE 402 42 Goteborg, Sweden
Health Policy 87:92-9. 2008
..The effects of mergers in the form of multisited hospitals have not been systematically evaluated. The purpose of this article is to contribute to this area of knowledge by exploring responses to the merger of Blekinge Hospital...
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis in Sweden, 1991-2005
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet, Box 281, 17177 Stockholm, Sweden
Arch Neurol 66:515-9. 2009
To investigate the temporal trend of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) incidence in Sweden between January 1, 1991, and December 31, 2005, and to explore incidence variations according to major demographic factors.
- Levels and patterns of objectively assessed physical activity--a comparison between Sweden and the United States
Department of Neurobiology, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge, Sweden
Am J Epidemiol 171:1055-64. 2010
This study compares levels and patterns of objectively assessed physical activity in Sweden and the United States by using identical accelerometer metrics...
- Barriers to adherence to hypertension guidelines among GPs in southern Sweden: a survey
Department of Clinical Sciences, Malmö General Practice Family Medicine, Lund University, Sweden
Scand J Prim Health Care 26:154-9. 2008
..To evaluate barriers to adherence to hypertension guidelines among publicly employed general practitioners (GPs)...
- Association of paraoxonase gene cluster polymorphisms with ALS in France, Quebec, and Sweden
P N Valdmanis
Center of Excellence in Neuromics, University of Montreal, CHUM Research Center, Notre Dame Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Neurology 71:514-20. 2008
..In addition, PON variants were shown to be associated with susceptibility to ALS in several North American and European populations...
- Road traffic noise and hypertension: results from a cross-sectional public health survey in southern Sweden
Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Environ Health 8:38. 2009
..Our objective was to further explore these associations...
- West Sweden Asthma Study: prevalence trends over the last 18 years argues no recent increase in asthma
Department of Internal Medicine, Krefting Research Centre, Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
Respir Res 10:94. 2009
..evaluation of the prevalence of asthma and respiratory symptoms in adults between the ages of 16-75 in West Sweden. Thirty thousand randomly chosen individuals were sent a detailed questionnaire focusing on asthma and respiratory ..
- Spatial and temporal investigations of reported movements, births and deaths of cattle and pigs in Sweden
SVA, National Veterinary Institute, Department of Disease Control and Epidemiology, 75189 Uppsala, Sweden
Acta Vet Scand 51:37. 2009
..The results can be used for contingency planning, modelling of disease spread and design of disease control programs...
- Persistent organochlorine and organobromine compounds in mother's milk from Sweden 1996-2006: compound-specific temporal trends
National Food Administration, P O Box 622, SE 751 26 Uppsala, Sweden
Environ Res 109:760-7. 2009
..Compound-specific temporal trends are probably caused by differences in sources of exposure, as well as by differences in persistence between compounds...
- Rickettsia helvetica in patient with meningitis, Sweden, 2006
Uppsala University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Emerg Infect Dis 16:490-2. 2010
..Nucleotide sequences of the 16S rRNA, ompB, and 17kDa genes identified the isolate as R. helvetica. This organism may be associated with serious infections such as central nervous system disorders...
- Risk of hypertension from exposure to road traffic noise in a population-based sample
Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, PO Box 414, SE 405 30 Gothenburg, Sweden
Occup Environ Med 66:410-5. 2009
..To assess the association between hypertension and traffic noise...
- Association of a haplotype in the promoter region of the interferon regulatory factor 5 gene with rheumatoid arthritis
Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Arthritis Rheum 56:2202-10. 2007
..To determine whether genetic variants of the interferon regulatory factor 5 (IRF-5) and Tyk-2 genes are associated with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Prevalence of chronic diseases and multimorbidity among the elderly population in Sweden
Aging Research Center, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Am J Public Health 98:1198-200. 2008
..Multimorbidity is the most common clinical picture of the elderly and may be increased by unhealthy behaviors linked to education...
- A prospective study of obesity and cancer risk (Sweden)
Karolinska Institute, Department of Medical Epidemiology, Stockholm, Sweden
Cancer Causes Control 12:13-21. 2001
..corrected] We evaluated the relation between obesity and the risks for various forms of cancer...
- Microscopic colitis: a common diarrhoeal disease. An epidemiological study in Orebro, Sweden, 1993-1998
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Orebro University Hospital, Orebro, Sweden
Gut 53:346-50. 2004
..lymphocytic colitis are higher than considered previously and are now equal to the incidence of Crohn's disease in Sweden, and combined rates approach the incidence of ulcerative colitis...
- Loneliness, fear, and quality of life among elderly in Sweden: a gender perspective
Department of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Aging Clin Exp Res 17:494-501. 2005
..The aim of this work was to study feelings of loneliness and fear among elderly people (75+) in a gender perspective, and to explore their causes...
- Use of multivitamins and folic acid in early pregnancy and multiple births in Sweden
Epidemiological Centre, National Board of Health, Stockholm, Sweden
Twin Res 4:63-6. 2001
..13, 95% CI 1.64-2.74). If this association is causal, wide-spread supplementation with folic acid may represent a hazard larger than the postulated beneficial effect on neural tube defects, at least in low-risk areas...
- Incidence of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in Sweden, Denmark, and Finland from 1960 through 2003: an epidemic that was
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15:1295-300. 2006
..RESULTS: In Sweden, Denmark, and Finland, the NHL incidence increased in both genders and all age categories by about 4% every year ..
- Lifestyle factors and risk for symptomatic gastroesophageal reflux in monozygotic twins
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet, Nobels vag 12a, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Gastroenterology 132:87-95. 2007
..We investigated associations between lifestyle factors and gastroesophageal reflux (GER) symptoms, with and without controlling for genetic predisposition...
- Methionine and vitamin B6 intake and risk of pancreatic cancer: a prospective study of Swedish women and men
Susanna C Larsson
Division of Nutritional Epidemiology, National Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, SE 17177 Stockholm, Sweden
Gastroenterology 132:113-8. 2007
..In the present study, we used data from this prospective study to examine whether methionine and vitamin B(6) intakes were associated with the incidence of exocrine pancreatic cancer...
- The risk for cutaneous malignant melanoma, melanoma in situ and intraocular malignant melanoma in relation to tobacco use and body mass index
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet, 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Br J Dermatol 156:99-105. 2007
..Malignant melanoma (MM) is also the most common intraocular malignancy (IMM). Besides ultraviolet radiation, the cause of these tumours is largely unknown...
- The prevalence of neuropathic pain after non-traumatic spinal cord lesion
Spinalis Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Spinal Cord 45:609-15. 2007
..Retrospective register study...
- [Skin allergy and hypersensitivity surveyed in a Swedish study]
Ann Sofie Metsävainio
Lakartidningen 103:3075-8. 2006
- Consumption of sugar and sugar-sweetened foods and the risk of pancreatic cancer in a prospective study
Susanna C Larsson
Division of Nutritional Epidemiology, National Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Am J Clin Nutr 84:1171-6. 2006
..Frequent consumption of sugar and high-sugar foods may increase the risk of pancreatic cancer by inducing frequent postprandial hyperglycemia, increasing insulin demand, and decreasing insulin sensitivity...
- Fruit and vegetable consumption and incidence of gastric cancer: a prospective study
Susanna C Larsson
Division of Nutritional Epidemiology, The National Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, P O Box 210, SE 17177 Stockholm, Sweden
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15:1998-2001. 2006
..Whether fruit and vegetable consumption may confer protection from gastric cancer remains controversial...
- Increased risk of malignancies in a population-based study of 818 soft-tissue sarcoma patients
Department of Oncology, Institute of Clinical Sciences, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Br J Cancer 95:986-90. 2006
..6; 95% CI=8.1-33.5; P<0.001). Hence, this population-based series demonstrates a high frequency of second primary tumours among STS patients and indicates a particularly increased risk of developing a new STS...
- Usual drinking patterns and non-fatal injury among patients seeking emergency care
Department of Health and Society, Social Medicine and Public Health Science, Linkoping University, S 581 83 Linkoping, Sweden
Public Health 120:1064-73. 2006
- Autoimmune diseases, asthma and risk of haematological malignancies: a nationwide case-control study in Sweden
Karin C Söderberg
Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Box 210, S 171 77, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Cancer 42:3028-33. 2006
..39,908 cases of leukaemia, Hodgkin's disease, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and myeloma that occurred during 1987-1999 in Sweden, and 149,344 controls...
- Lung cancer incidence in never smokers
Heather A Wakelee
Division of Oncology, Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:472-8. 2007
..However, data on this topic, particularly lung cancer incidence rates in never smokers, are limited...
- Diabetes and risk of endometrial cancer: a population-based prospective cohort study
Division of Nutritional Epidemiology, The National Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, P O Box 210, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:276-80. 2007
..Interventions to reduce body weight and increase physical activity may have important implications in terms of prevention of endometrial cancer and future management of diabetic subjects...
- Endophthalmitis after cataract surgery: a nationwide prospective study evaluating incidence in relation to incision type and location
EyeNet Sweden, Blekinge Hospital, Karlskrona, Sweden
Ophthalmology 114:866-70. 2007
..To establish the nationwide rate of postoperative endophthalmitis (PE) after cataract extraction (CE) and to study the relationship between PE and type of incision and other possible risk factors...
- Do gastrointestinal symptoms fluctuate in the short-term perspective? The Kalixanda study
Centre for Family and Community Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Dig Dis 26:256-63. 2008
..We aimed to determine gastrointestinal symptom fluctuation in an random adult population using a validated questionnaire assessing gastrointestinal symptoms...
- Contextual social capital as a risk factor for poor self-rated health: a multilevel analysis
Karolinska Institutet, Department of Public Health Sciences, Stockholm, Sweden
Soc Sci Med 66:2268-80. 2008
..The association with self-rated health is similar independent of the measure of CSC used. It is also similar in different socio-demographic groups...
- Trends during a half century in relative squamous cell carcinoma distribution by body site in the Swedish population: support for accumulated sun exposure as the main risk factor
Centre for Public Health, Stockholm County Council, Stockholm, Sweden
J Dermatol 35:55-62. 2008
..7 and 3.8; that is, SCC has become four times more frequent in Sweden for both sexes during this period...
- Burn injuries and skin cancer: a population-based cohort study
Unit of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital and Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Derm Venereol 88:20-2. 2008
..Also, in a subgroup of 12,783 patients who were followed for 20-39 years, no increased risk of skin cancer could be detected. This study does not support any casual association between burn injuries and a later risk of skin cancer...
- Iatrogenic vascular injuries in Sweden. A nationwide study 1987-2005
Institution of Surgical Sciences, Department of Vascular Surgery, Uppsala University Hospital, Sweden
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 35:131-8. 2008
..To study the epidemiology of vascular injuries, with special focus on iatrogenic vascular injuries (IVIs) and time-trends...
- Underweight, overweight and obesity as risk factors for mortality and hospitalization
Gunilla Ringbäck Weitoft
Centre for Epidemiology, Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare, Stockholm
Scand J Public Health 36:169-76. 2008
..5), overweight people (BMI 25 to <30), obese people (BMI> or =30), and those with normal weights (BMI 18.5 to <25)...
- Regional, socioeconomic and occupational groups and risk of hospital admission for multiple sclerosis: a cohort study in Sweden
Center for Family and Community Medicine, Karolinska Institute, Huddinge, Sweden
Mult Scler 14:522-9. 2008
..The aim of this study was to investigate possible associations between hospitalization for multiple sclerosis (MS) and region, socioeconomic status and occupation...
- Institutional trust and alcohol consumption in Sweden: the Swedish National Public Health Survey 2006
Swedish National Institute of Public Health, Stockholm, Sweden
BMC Public Health 8:283. 2008
..Harmful alcohol consumption is believed to be one of the mediating factors. We hypothesized that low social capital defined as low institutional trust is associated with harmful alcohol consumption...
- Evaluation of bias in familial risk estimates: a study of common cancers using Swedish population-based registers
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:1318-25. 2008
..Bias in estimates of familial cancer may result if population-based registers fail to identify relatives as affected when disease occurs before the start-up of registration (ie, "left-truncation" of family history)...
- Long-term aspirin use and colorectal cancer risk: a cohort study in Sweden
S C Larsson
Division of Nutritional Epidemiology, The National Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Br J Cancer 95:1277-9. 2006
..65; 95% confidence interval: 0.45-0.94). Aspirin use for a shorter period was not associated with risk...
- Leisure physical activity and the risk of fracture in men
Section of Orthopaedics, Department of Surgical Sciences, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
PLoS Med 4:e199. 2007
..Data from previous studies are inconsistent, and it is therefore uncertain whether, to what extent, and at what level leisure physical activity influences the risk of osteoporotic fractures in men...
- Tobacco use, body mass index, and the risk of leukemia and multiple myeloma: a nationwide cohort study in Sweden
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Cancer Res 67:5983-6. 2007
..Results on snuff use as well as BMI showed no association. This study confirms the role of smoking as a risk factor for AML and gives no support to the hypothesis of a role of snuff use or BMI level on the risk of leukemia or MM...
- Coeliac disease and risk of sarcoidosis
Jonas F Ludvigsson
Department of Paediatrics, Orebro University Hospital, Sweden
Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 24:121-6. 2007
..Our main objective was to investigate the risk of subsequent sarcoidosis in individuals with CD in a general population cohort study. A second aim was to estimate the risk of CD in individuals with prior sarcoidosis...
- Decline in FEV1 in relation to incident chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in a cohort with respiratory symptoms
The OLIN Studies, Sunderby Central Hospital of Norrbotten, Lulea, Sweden
COPD 4:5-13. 2007
..Among incident cases of COPD the decline was steeper and close to a quarter had a rapid decline...
- Social capital, political trust and experience of cannabis smoking: a population-based study in southern Sweden
Department of Clinical Sciences, Malmo University Hospital, Lund University, S 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
Prev Med 46:599-604. 2008
To investigate whether political mistrust in the Riksdag (the national parliament in Sweden) is an independent characteristic of cannabis smokers, or whether it reflects low confidence in people in general, and therefore low social capital...
- Fatigue is a prevalent and severe symptom associated with uncertainty and sense of coherence in patients with chronic heart failure
Institute of Health and Care Sciences, The Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Box 457, S 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs 6:99-104. 2007
- Self-reported food hypersensitivity in Sweden, Denmark, Estonia, Lithuania, and Russia
N E Eriksson
Lung and Allergy Clinic, County Hospital, Halmstad, Sweden
J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 14:70-9. 2004
..The main aim of the study was to describe the differences between some Northern countries regarding what foods, according to the patients, elicit hypersensitivity symptoms...
- Increased risk of second primary malignancies in patients with gynecological cancer. A Swedish record-linkage study
Department of General Oncology, Radiumhemmet, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Oncol 34:771-7. 1995
..e. treatment and common risk factors. However, further studies concerning the role of common etiology, for instance hereditary and hormonal factors, are needed to increase the knowledge on the etiology of second primary malignancies...
- Risk of solid tumors after irradiation in infancy
Department of Hospital Physics, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Oncol 34:727-34. 1995
..No confirmed increased incidence could be established for other cancer sites...
- Senile dementia of the Alzheimer type in the Lundby Study. I. A prospective, epidemiological study of incidence and risk during the 15 years 1957-1972
Department of Social and Forensic Psychiatry, Lund University, Sweden
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 241:159-64. 1991
..In this study of a total, normal population from a geographically delimited area in Sweden, Lundby, 2612 persons were examined in 1957 by one psychiatrist (Hagnell)...
- Continued surveillance of cancer incidence among Swedish smelter workers
A M Sandström
Department of Epidemiology and Health Care Research, University of Umea, Sweden
Acta Oncol 31:11-7. 1992
A cohort study of workers at a smeltery in northern Sweden showed an excess mortality, mostly due to deaths in cancer (especially in the respiratory organs) and circulatory diseases...
- Prevalence of self-reported hypersensitivity to electric or magnetic fields in a population-based questionnaire survey
Department of Environmental Health, Norrbacka Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Scand J Work Environ Health 28:33-41. 2002
- Occupational exposures and risk of esophageal and gastric cardia cancers among male Swedish construction workers
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet, PO Box 281, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Cancer Causes Control 16:755-64. 2005
..We hypothesized that occupational airborne exposures in a traditional male dominated industry might contribute to these observations...
- Risk of acquiring tick bites in south-eastern Sweden
Department of Community Medicine, Lund University, Malmo, Sweden
Scand J Infect Dis 34:840-4. 2002
..pattern of tick bites were studied in a population frequently out-of-doors in a tick-endemic area in south-eastern Sweden between May 2000 and March 2001...
- Sex-related differences in outcome after vascular interventions for lower limb ischemia
Department of Vascular Surgery, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
J Vasc Surg 35:510-6. 2002
..The purpose of this study was to investigate sex-related differences in outcome, defined as amputation rate and survival in patients treated for lower limb ischemia...