- [Otorhinolaryngologic disorders in association with scuba diving]
Universitäts Hals Nasen Ohren Klinik Heidelberg
HNO 56:519-23. 2008
Due to the increasing number of scuba divers in Germany, the otorhinolaryngologist has to face rising numbers of diving-associated ENT disorders. However, data about the lifetime prevalence of these disorders are insufficient...
- The challenge of comprehensively mapping children's health in a nation-wide health survey: design of the German KiGGS-Study
Bärbel Maria Kurth
Department of Epidemiology and Health Reporting, Robert Koch Institute, Seestrasse 10, 13353 Berlin, Germany
BMC Public Health 8:196. 2008
..Aim of this first nationwide interview and examination survey was to collect comprehensive data on the health status of children and adolescents aged 0 to 17 years...
- Incidence and risk factors for community-acquired acute gastroenteritis in north-west Germany in 2004
Children s Hospital Prof Hess, Klinikum Bremen Mitte, Sankt Jürgen Strasse, 28177 Bremen, Germany
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 28:935-43. 2009
..The study was performed in north-west Germany in 2004. The incidence of AGE patients requiring medical consultation was 4,020/100,000 inhabitants...
- Hand, foot and mouth disease: seroprevalence of Coxsackie A16 and Enterovirus 71 in Germany
Holger F Rabenau
Institute of Medical Virology, Hospital of the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University of Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany
Med Microbiol Immunol 199:45-51. 2010
..The objective of the study was to analyze CA16 and EV71 seroepidemiologically in the population of Frankfurt/M., Germany. A total of 696 individuals (349 males and 347 females, divided into seven different age groups, 1-4, 5-9, 10-14, ..
- Epidemiological data on pathogenic Yersinia enterocolitica in Southern Germany during 2000-2006
Bayerisches Landesamt fuer Gesundheit und Lebensmittelsicherheit, Oberschleissheim, Germany
Foodborne Pathog Dis 5:273-80. 2008
..All Y. enterocolitica 4/O:3 strains were susceptible to most of the tested antibacterial agents...
- Resistance mechanisms of multiresistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa strains from Germany and correlation with hypermutation
Institute for Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology, Pharmaceutical Microbiology Unit, University of Bonn, Meckenheimer Allee 168, 53115 Bonn, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:4062-70. 2007
..of multiresistance for 22 clinical multiresistant and clonally different Pseudomonas aeruginosa strains from Germany. Twelve and 10 strains originated from cystic fibrosis (CF) and non-CF patients, respectively...
- Follow-up procedures in EPIC-Germany--data quality aspects. European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition
M M Bergmann
Department of Epidemiology, German Institute of Human Nutrition Postdam Rehbrücke, Heidelberg, Germany
Ann Nutr Metab 43:225-34. 1999
..A follow-up phase in Germany comprises mailing of a questionnaire, tracing of individuals to whom mail could not be delivered, obtaining ..
- Characterisation of PCV-2 isolates from Spain, Germany and France
Robert Koch Institut, P24 Xenotransplantation, Nordufer 20, 13353, Berlin, Germany
Virus Res 66:65-77. 2000
..This report describes the characterisation of PCV-2 isolates from animals affected with PMWS from Germany, Spain and France...
- PopGen: population-based recruitment of patients and controls for the analysis of complex genotype-phenotype relationships
Institute of Medical Informatics and Statistics, Christian Albrechts University, Kiel, Germany
Community Genet 9:55-61. 2006
..On the other hand, most ongoing prospective studies are probably too small for evaluating polygenic disease markers...
- Health-related quality of life among general practice patients with differing chronic diseases in Germany: cross sectional survey
Hong Mei Wang
Institute of Social Medicine and Family Medicine, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, 388 Yuhang Tang Rd, 310058 Hangzhou, PR China
BMC Public Health 8:246. 2008
..with the HRQoL of patients without chronic conditions, to evaluate the HRQoL of general practice patients in Germany compared with the HRQoL of the general population, and to explore the influence of different chronic diseases on ..
- An international comparison of adolescent non-suicidal self-injury (NSSI) and suicide attempts: Germany and the USA
P L Plener
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Ulm, Germany
Psychol Med 39:1549-58. 2009
- Epidemiology and clinical pattern of psoriatic arthritis in Germany: a prospective interdisciplinary epidemiological study of 1511 patients with plaque-type psoriasis
Dermatologikum Hamburg, Stephansplatz 5, 20354 Hamburg, Germany
Br J Dermatol 160:1040-7. 2009
..Because psoriatic arthritis (PsA) usually develops years after the first manifestation of skin symptoms, in many cases the initial diagnosis of PsA depends on the dermatologist...
- Imported Lassa fever in Germany: surveillance and management of contact persons
Walter H Haas
Robert-Koch-Institute, Berlin, Germany
Clin Infect Dis 36:1254-8. 2003
..A total of 232 persons exposed to a case of Lassa fever imported into Germany were identified...
- Lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2 adds to risk prediction of incident coronary events by C-reactive protein in apparently healthy middle-aged men from the general population: results from the 14-year follow-up of a large cohort from southern Germany
Department of Internal Medicine II Cardiology, University of Ulm Medical Center, Robert Koch Strasse 8, D 89081 Ulm, Germany
Circulation 110:1903-8. 2004
..Chronic inflammation represents an essential feature of the atherosclerotic process. Lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2 (Lp-PLA2), an enzyme mainly produced by monocytes/macrophages, generates potent proinflammatory products...
- Bluetongue disease in Germany (2007-2008): monitoring of entomological aspects
Department of Parasitology, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, 40225, Germany
Parasitol Res 105:313-9. 2009
In the summer of 2006, a bluetongue epidemic started in the border area of Belgium, The Netherlands, and Germany, spread within 2 years over large areas of Western and Central Europe, and caused substantial losses in farm ruminants...
- Sandflies and leishmaniasis in Germany
T J Naucke
Institute of Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology IMMIP, University Hospital Bonn, Sigmund Freud Strasse 25, 53105, Bonn, Germany
Parasitol Res 103:S65-8. 2008
This study has provided evidence for the natural occurrence of sandflies in Germany. Two species belonging to the genus Phlebotomus were detected...
- Quantification of the heat wave effect on cause-specific mortality in Essen, Germany
Institute for Medical Informatics, Biometry and Epidemiology, University Hospital, University of Duisburg Essen, Hufelandstr 55, 45122, Essen, Germany
Eur J Epidemiol 24:407-14. 2009
..We obtained daily counts of total and cause-specific mortality for Essen, Germany, for the years 2000-2006...
- Health-related quality of life in children and adolescents in Germany: results of the BELLA study
Center for Obstetrics and Paediatrics, Department of Psychosomatics in Children and Adolescents, University Clinic Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistasse 52, W29, 20246, Hamburg, Germany
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 17:148-56. 2008
..Identifying children and adolescents with particularly low health-related quality of life allows for an early detection of hidden morbidity and health care needs...
- Typhus and other rickettsioses: emerging infections in Germany
Institut fur Mikrobiologie der Bundeswehr, Munchen, Germany
Dtsch Arztebl Int 106:348-54. 2009
..Rickettsioses are diseases caused by rickettsiae, obligate intracellular bacteria that are transmitted by arthropods to humans. They cause various types of spotted fever and typhus...
- Bone marrow depletion with haemorrhagic diathesis in calves in Germany: characterization of the disease and preliminary investigations on its aetiology
Eva C Kappe
Bavarian Animal Health Service, Poing, Germany
Berl Munch Tierarztl Wochenschr 123:31-41. 2010
Since 2007 a new fatal haemorrhagic diathesis in calves has been observed in all areas of Germany. Analysis of 56 cases submitted for necropsy allowed its characterization...
- New flutes document the earliest musical tradition in southwestern Germany
Nicholas J Conard
Abteilung für Altere Urgeschichte und Quartärökologie, Institut für Ur und Frühgeschichte und Archäologie des Mittelalters, Universitat Tubingen, Schloss Hohentübingen, 72070 Tübingen, Germany
Nature 460:737-40. 2009
..Here we report the discovery of bone and ivory flutes from the early Aurignacian period of southwestern Germany. These finds demonstrate the presence of a well-established musical tradition at the time when modern humans ..
- Relation between the HIV and the re-emerging syphilis epidemic among MSM in Germany: an analysis based on anonymous surveillance data
Robert Koch Institut, Berlin, Germany
Sex Transm Infect 81:456-7. 2005
..the introduction of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART), the number of newly diagnosed HIV infections in Germany increased considerably compared to the previous year...
- [Children and adolescents in Germany with a migration background. Methodical aspects in the German Health Interview and Examination Survey for Children and Adolescents (KiGGS)]
Charite Universitatsmedizin, Berlin, BRD
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 50:590-9. 2007
..was possible for the first time to include children with a migration background in a nationwide health survey in Germany in a number corresponding to their percentage of the population...
- Perennial allergen sensitisation early in life and chronic asthma in children: a birth cohort study
Department of Pediatric Pneumology and Immunology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Germany
Lancet 368:763-70. 2006
..Unknown factors between birth and school age determine the progressive loss of pulmonary function in children with persistent asthma. We investigated the role of allergic sensitisation and allergen exposure early in life...
- Disease severity, quality of life and health care in plaque-type psoriasis: a multicenter cross-sectional study in Germany
Health Economics and Quality of Life Research Group, Department of Dermatology, University Clinics of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
Dermatology 216:366-72. 2008
..Plaque-type psoriasis produces significant morbidity, has negative effects on patients' health-related quality of life (HRQoL), and represents an economic burden...
- Vitamins--dietary intake and intake from dietary supplements in Germany
Robert Koch Institute, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Clin Nutr 56:539-45. 2002
- Exposure to alcohol use in motion pictures and teen drinking in Germany
Institute for Therapy and Health Research, Düsternbrooker Weg 2, 24105 Kiel, Germany
Int J Epidemiol 36:1068-77. 2007
..To assess whether movie alcohol exposure is associated with alcohol use during early adolescence...
- Perinatal outcome in Berlin (Germany) among immigrants from Turkey
Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Klinik fur Frauenheilkunde und Geburtshilfe, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Arch Gynecol Obstet 274:271-8. 2006
..Are there differences regarding important perinatal outcome-parameters in Berlin relating to ethnicity?..
- Is leishmaniasis becoming endemic in Germany?
T J Naucke
Institute of Medical Parasitology, Bonn University, Bonn, Germany
Int J Med Microbiol 293:179-81. 2004
- Natural occurrence of 16 fusarium toxins in grains and feedstuffs of plant origin from Germany
Institute of Animal Nutrition, Hohenheim University, Emil Wolff Str 10, D 70599 Stuttgart, Germany
Mycopathologia 161:43-52. 2006
..silage as well as non-grain based feedstuffs was randomly collected during 2000 and 2001 from sources located in Germany and analysed for 16 Fusarium toxins...
- Epidemiological features of Adamantiades-Behçet's disease in Germany and in Europe
C C Zouboulis
German Registry of Adamantiades Behçet s Disease, Department of Dermatology, University Medical Center Benjamin Franklin, Free University of Berlin, Germany
Yonsei Med J 38:411-22. 1997
..and it provides current data on the epidemiology, the clinical manifestations and the course of the disease in Germany on a continuous basis...
- Oral immunisation of wild boar against classical swine fever: evaluation of the first field study in Germany
Federal Research Centre for Virus Diseases of Animals, Institute for Applied Virology, Boddenblick 5a, D 17498, Isle of Riems, Germany
Vet Microbiol 73:239-52. 2000
..Therefore, an intensive hunting of this age group is a necessary adjunct to the use of oral vaccination. After the third immunisation period, no virus was detected in the areas where oral immunisation took place...
- Occurrence of Chlamydiaceae spp. in a wild boar (Sus scrofa L.) population in Thuringia (Germany)
Institute of Bacterial Infections and Zoonoses, Friedrich-Loeffler-Institut, Naumburger Strasse 96a, 07743 Jena, Germany
Vet Microbiol 103:121-6. 2004
..While the role of Chlamydiaceae as pathogens in wild boar has yet to be established, the present findings revealed a possible wildlife reservoir of these bacteria...
- Predictors of overweight and obesity in five to seven-year-old children in Germany: results from cross-sectional studies
Christian J Apfelbacher
The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine LSHTM, Keppel Street, London WC1E, UK
BMC Public Health 8:171. 2008
..Childhood obesity is a serious public health problem and epidemiological studies are important to identify predictive factors. It is the aim of this study to analyse factors associated with overweight/obesity in samples of German children...
- Typing of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a university hospital setting by using novel software for spa repeat determination and database management
Institute for Hygiene, , , Germany
J Clin Microbiol 41:5442-8. 2003
..spa typing was valuable for tracking of epidemic isolates. The data show that disproval of epidemiologically suggested transmissions of MRSA is one of the main objectives of spa typing in departments with a high incidence of MRSA...
- Cellular phones, cordless phones, and the risks of glioma and meningioma (Interphone Study Group, Germany)
Institute of Medical Biostatistics, Epidemiology and Informatics, Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz, Mainz, Germany
Am J Epidemiol 163:512-20. 2006
..In this population-based case-control study carried out in three regions of Germany, all incident cases of glioma and meningioma among patients aged 30-69 years were ascertained during 2000-2003...
- Adults only. Reindeer hunting at the middle palaeolithic site salzgitter lebenstedt, northern Germany
Römisch Germanisches Zentralmuseum Mainz, Forschungsbereich Altsteinzeit, Schloss Monrepos, Neuwied, 56567, Germany
J Hum Evol 38:497-521. 2000
The Middle Palaeolithic site Salzgitter Lebenstedt (northern Germany), excavated in 1952, is well known because of its well-preserved faunal remains, dominated by adult reindeer (Rangifer tarandus)...
- Prevalence of human gammaretrovirus XMRV in sporadic prostate cancer
Institute for Medical Microbiology and Virology, University Medical Center Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
J Clin Virol 43:277-83. 2008
- Polymorphisms in the gene encoding adiponectin receptor 1 are associated with insulin resistance and high liver fat
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Pathobiochemistry, University of Tubingen, Germany
Diabetologia 48:2282-91. 2005
..The aim of this study was to investigate whether genetic variants of the genes encoding ADIPOR1 and ADIPOR2 play a role in human metabolism...
- [Guidelines and recommendations for ensuring Good Epidemiological Practice (GEP) -- revised version after evaluation]
Gesundheitswesen 67:217-25. 2005
- Simply no time? Barriers to GPs' participation in primary health care research
Department of General Practice, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Fam Pract 25:105-12. 2008
..Non-participation of general practitioners (GPs) is a serious source of bias for practice-based studies. Objective. To elucidate doctors' motives for non-participation in, and subjective barriers to, general practice research...
- Breastfeeding duration in families with type 1 diabetes compared to non-affected families: results from BABYDIAB and DONALD studies in Germany
Research Institute of Child Nutrition, Institute at the Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms University Bonn, Dortmund, Germany
Breastfeed Med 3:171-5. 2008
..There are only a few small studies that compare breastfeeding rates in mothers with and without type 1 diabetes (T1D)...
- Costs of back pain in Germany
Christina M Wenig
Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, Munich School of Management and Munich Center of Health Sciences, Munich, Germany
Eur J Pain 13:280-6. 2009
..The information may be of value for decision-making and allocation of research fund resources...
- Epidemiology of hepatitis A virus infections, Germany, 2007-2008
Mirko S Faber
Robert Koch Institute, Berlin 13086, Germany
Emerg Infect Dis 15:1760-8. 2009
Approximately 60% of hepatitis A virus infections in Germany occur in persons without a travel history to disease-endemic areas and for whom sources of infection are unknown...
- Multidrug- and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis, Germany
Research Center Borstel, Borstel, Germany
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1700-6. 2008
..outcomes associated with multidrug-resistant (MDR) and extensively drug-resistant (XDR) tuberculosis (TB) in Germany in 2004-2006...
- Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in Germany: a prospective 12-year surveillance
National Reference Center for TSE, Department of Neurology, Georg August University Gottingen, Robert Koch Strasse 40, 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Brain 130:1350-9. 2007
..countries, a CJD surveillance unit with a clinical and neuropathological approach was established in Goettingen (Germany) in 1993. Here we report the epidemiological data from a prospective 12-year surveillance...
- Serum concentrations of adiponectin and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus and coronary heart disease in apparently healthy middle-aged men: results from the 18-year follow-up of a large cohort from southern Germany
Department of Internal Medicine II Cardiology, University of Ulm Medical Center, Ulm, Germany
J Am Coll Cardiol 48:1369-77. 2006
..serum concentrations of adiponectin and long-term risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) and coronary heart disease (CHD) in initially healthy middle-aged men within the same representative population in Augsburg, southern Germany.
- Further efforts needed to achieve measles elimination in Germany: results of an outbreak investigation
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Robert Koch Institute, Berlin, Germany
Bull World Health Organ 87:108-15. 2009
To determine morbidity and costs related to a large measles outbreak in Germany and to identify ways to improve the country's national measles elimination strategy.
- Cowpox virus transmission from pet rats to humans, Germany
Bavarian Health and Food Safety Authority, Oberschleissheim, Germany
Emerg Infect Dis 15:777-80. 2009
We describe a cluster of cowpox virus (CPXV) infections in humans that occurred near Munich, Germany, around the beginning of 2009...
- Current surveys on the prevalence and distribution of Dirofilaria spp. in dogs in Germany
Vet Med Labor GmbH, Division of IDEXX Laboratories, Ludwigsburg, Germany
Parasitol Res 105:S63-74. 2009
The Central Upper-Rhine (Baden-Württemberg, Germany) is one of the warmest regions in Germany and also harbours abundant numbers of mosquitoes. Case reports on presumably autochthonous occurrence of Dirofilaria spp...
- Protective measures and H5N1-seroprevalence among personnel tasked with bird collection during an outbreak of avian influenza A/H5N1 in wild birds, Ruegen, Germany, 2006
Department for Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Robert Koch Institute, DGZ Ring 1, Berlin, Germany
BMC Infect Dis 9:170. 2009
In Germany, the first outbreak of highly pathogenic avian influenza A/H5N1 occurred among wild birds on the island of Ruegen between February and April 2006...
- Visceral leishmaniasis in a German child who had never entered a known endemic area: case report and review of the literature
Institute for Clinical Microbiology, Immunology and Hygiene, University of Erlangen, Germany
Clin Infect Dis 32:302-6. 2001
..Congenital or blood transfusion-associated leishmaniasis was ruled out. Possible modes of transmission (including a potential new autochthonous focus of the disease in central Europe) are discussed...
- A national resuscitation registry of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in Germany-a pilot study
Jan Thorsten Gräsner
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel, Schwanenweg 21, 24105 Kiel, Germany
Resuscitation 80:199-203. 2009
..A uniform resuscitation registry may be advantageous for quality management of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). This study was conducted to evaluate the establishment of a national CPR registry in Germany.
- Outbreak of bluetongue disease (BTD) in Germany and the danger for Europe
Institute of Zoomorphology, Cell Biology and Parasitology, Heinrich Heine University, 40225, Dusseldorf, Germany
Parasitol Res 103:S79-86. 2008
..At the end of the year 2006, nearly 1,000 farms were affected in Germany. Catches on two German cattle farms proved that the ceratopogonid species Culicoides obsoletus was obviously the ..
- Neurologic varicella complications before routine immunization in Germany
Anita L Rack
Dr von Haunersches Kinderspital, University Children s Hospital Munich, Munich, Germany
Pediatr Neurol 42:40-8. 2010
..Three patients died. The yearly incidence of neurologic varicella-associated hospitalizations was estimated at 2.4 neurologic complications per 100,000 children, corresponding to about one neurologic complication in 2000 varicella cases...
- Differences in health complaints among university students from three European countries
School of Public Health, University of Bielefeld, Germany
Prev Med 37:535-43. 2003
..The purpose of this research was to assess the prevalence of somatic and psychosomatic health complaints in a cross-national population of university students and to study risk factors associated with health complaints...
- Occupational wood dust exposure and the risk of laryngeal cancer: a population based case-control study in Germany
Department of Tropical Hygiene and Public Health, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Am J Ind Med 51:648-55. 2008
..To investigate the effect of exposure to wood dust on the risk of laryngeal cancer...
- Revised and new reference values for environmental pollutants in urine or blood of children in Germany derived from the German environmental survey on children 2003-2006 (GerES IV)
Federal Environment Agency, Berlin, Germany
Int J Hyg Environ Health 212:637-47. 2009
..the reference values for a comprehensive number of environmental pollutants in blood and urine of children in Germany. Reference values are statistically derived values that indicate the upper margin of background exposure to a ..
- Anaplasma phagocytophilum infection in Ixodes ricinus, Bavaria, Germany
Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Emerg Infect Dis 14:972-4. 2008
..of questing Ixodes ricinus ticks (adults and nymphs; n = 2,862), collected systematically from selected locations in Bavaria, Germany, in 2006. Prevalence was significantly higher in urban public parks in Munich than in natural forests.
- Genetic variability of group A human respiratory syncytial virus strains circulating in Germany from 1998 to 2007
FG12 Virale Infektionen, NRZ Influenza, Robert Koch Institut, Nordufer 20, 13353 Berlin, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 47:1800-10. 2009
..This study provides for the first time data on the circulation pattern of RSV group A genotypes and their molecular characterization in Germany during nine consecutive epidemic seasons.
- Seasonal dynamics of biting midges (Diptera: Ceratopogonidae, Culicoides spp.) on dairy farms of Central Germany during the 2007/2008 epidemic of bluetongue
Peter Henning Clausen
Institute for Parasitology and Tropical Veterinary Medicine, Freie Universitaet Berlin, Koenigsweg 67, 14163, Berlin, Germany
Parasitol Res 105:381-6. 2009
..a large-scale entomological surveillance programme was initiated in the five affected EU member states including Germany. This paper reports on the entomological findings obtained from March/April 2007 to May 2008 at 15 sampling sites ..
- Complete primate skeleton from the Middle Eocene of Messel in Germany: morphology and paleobiology
Jens L Franzen
Forschungsinstitut Senckenberg, Frankfurt, Germany
PLoS ONE 4:e5723. 2009
The best European locality for complete Eocene mammal skeletons is Grube Messel, near Darmstadt, Germany. Although the site was surrounded by a para-tropical rain forest in the Eocene, primates are remarkably rare there, and only eight ..
- Contemporary management of aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage in germany: results of a survey among 100 neurosurgical departments
Oliver W Sakowitz
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Neurosurgery 58:137-45; discussion 137-45. 2006
To assess the status quo of clinical management in patients with ruptured intracranial aneurysms in Germany. In addition to preferences in vascular treatment (i.e...
- A comparative analysis of generics markets in five European countries
Center for Health Economics CESAV, Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacolological Research, Ranica, Bergamo, Italy
Health Policy 51:149-62. 2000
..This article analyses generics markets in five European countries: France, Germany Italy, The Netherlands and the U.K...
- Isolation and characterization of intestinal Escherichia coli clones from wild boars in Germany
Institut für Mikrobiologie und Tierseuchen, Fachbereich Veterinarmedizin, Freie Universitat Berlin, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:695-702. 2009
..coli isolates from the jejunums, ileums, and colons of 21 wild boars hunted in five geographic locations in Germany. Ten isolates per section were subjected to clonal determination using pulsed-field gel electrophoresis...
- [Integration of simulated patients into the study of human medicine in Germany]
Arbeitsgruppe Reformstudiengang Medizin, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 132:549-54. 2007
..SPs are healthy lay people who portray the role of a patient, including symptoms and personality. In Germany the first SP programs were introduced in between 1998 and 2000...
- Headache in German children and adolescents: a population-based epidemiological study
Georg Elias Müller Institute of Psychology, Department of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
Cephalalgia 27:519-27. 2007
..study was to assess the distribution and characteristics of headache in children aged 7-14 years in Lower Saxony (Germany). For the survey, 8800 households with children were randomly drawn from community registers...
- Cost-effectiveness of heptavalent conjugate pneumococcal vaccine (Prevenar) in Germany: considering a high-risk population and herd immunity effects
Fourth Hurdle Consulting Ltd, London, WC1V 6PL, UK
Eur J Health Econ 9:7-15. 2008
In Germany, the seven-valent conjugate vaccine Prevenar is recommended for use in children at high risk of pneumococcal disease...
- Qualitative and quantitative observations on the flea population dynamics of dogs and cats in several areas of Germany
Institute for Tropical Medicine and Parasitology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, Leopoldstrasse 5, 80802 Munich, Germany
Vet Parasitol 137:130-6. 2006
..A total of 1922 dogs and 1838 cats from 12 different veterinary practices or clinics in three areas of Germany were systematically examined between July 2003 and June 2004...
- Trend of hip fracture incidence in Germany 1995-2004: a population-based study
Faculty of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology and International Public Health, School of Public Health, Bielefeld University, Bielefeld, Germany
Osteoporos Int 19:1139-45. 2008
We analyzed hip fracture incidence trends in Germany 1995-2004, using national hospital discharge register. Crude incidences per 100,000 increased from 121.2 (95% CI 120.5-121.9) in 1995 to 140.9 (140.2-141.7) in 2004...
- Persistent geographical disparities in infant mortality rates in Italy (1999-2001): comparison with France, England, Germany, and Portugal
Maria Pia Fantini
Department of Medicine, Public Health, Alma Mater Studiorum University of Bologna, Italy
Eur J Public Health 16:429-32. 2006
..Infant mortality rate (IMR) is used as a population health indicator. We provide an updated description of temporal and geographical trends of IMR in Italy...
- Exposure to secondhand smoke in Germany: air contamination due to smoking in German restaurants, bars, and other venues
Mannheim Institute of Public Health, Social and Preventive Medicine, Heidelberg University, Heidelberg, Germany
Nicotine Tob Res 10:547-55. 2008
..restaurants, 20 coffee bars, 12 bars, 9 discothèques, and 20 restaurant cars in trains were visited throughout Germany from September 30 to October 31, 2005. The readings disclosed a median PM2...
- [Prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in patients in long-term care in hospitals, rehabilitation centers and nursing homes of a rural district in Germany]
Kreis Höxter, Fachbereich Gesundheits und Veterinärwesen, Moltkestr 12, 37671 Höxter
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 133:999-1003. 2008
..In Germany area-wide and interdisciplinary studies of prevalence of MRSA have not previously been conducted...
- Quality of life of living kidney donors in Germany: a survey with the Validated Short Form-36 and Giessen Subjective Complaints List-24 questionnaires
Department of Urology, Charite University Hospital, Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Transplantation 78:864-72. 2004
..Most studies evaluating the impact of kidney donation on donors' quality of life (QOL) have limitations such as small cohort size, unmatched references, use of nonstandardized and nonvalidated questionnaires, or low response rates...
- Characteristics of a new epidemic MRSA in Germany ancestral to United Kingdom EMRSA 15
Robert Koch Institute, Wernigerode Branch, Germany
Int J Med Microbiol 290:677-82. 2001
..This strain, Barnim epidemic MRSA, was isolated in 15 hospitals in Northern Germany in 1997 and 29 hospitals throughout Germany in 1998...
- Epidemiology of bluetongue virus serotype 8, Germany
Franz J Conraths
Friedrich Loeffler Institut, Federal Research Institute for Animal Health, Institute of Epidemiology, Wusterhausen, Germany i bund de
Emerg Infect Dis 15:433-5. 2009
In Germany, bluetongue disease had not been reported before 2006. During August 2006-August 2008, >24,000 bluetongue virus serotype 8 infections were reported, most (20,635) in 2007...
- Seroprevalence of Babesia infections in humans exposed to ticks in midwestern Germany
Klaus Peter Hunfeld
Institute of Medical Microbiology, University Hospital of Frankfurt, D 60596 Frankfurt Main, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 40:2431-6. 2002
..The aim of this study was to investigate the prevalence of Babesia infections in a human population in Germany. A total of 467 sera collected between May and October 1999 from individuals living in the Rhein-Main area were ..
- Outcome in a hepatitis C (genotype 1b) single source outbreak in Germany--a 25-year multicenter study
University Affiliated Hospital St Georg, Leipzig, Germany
J Hepatol 43:590-8. 2005
..The natural course of the hepatitis C virus genotype 1b (HCV-1b) infection is still unclear but important for therapeutic decisions. There are few unbiased long-term follow-up studies with known dates of infection...
- Cost effectiveness analysis of heptavalent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in Germany considering herd immunity effects
Centre for Health Economics and Health System Research, Leibniz University of Hannover, Hannover, Germany
Eur J Health Econ 10:25-38. 2009
In Germany the heptavalent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV7) has been recommended as a general infant vaccination since 2006...
- Higher prevalence of vitamin D deficiency is associated with immigrant background among children and adolescents in Germany
Department of Epidemiology and Health Reporting, Robert Koch Institute, D 13353 Berlin, Germany
J Nutr 138:1482-90. 2008
..To date, representative data in Germany is lacking...
- The burden of varicella complications before the introduction of routine varicella vaccination in Germany
Johannes G Liese
Dr von Hauner Children s Hospital, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:119-24. 2008
The true burden of varicella complications in Germany is not known. We investigated the incidence and pattern of varicella complications in children and adolescents using 3 independent surveillance sources.
- Association of FTO variants with BMI and fat mass in the self-contained population of Sorbs in Germany
Department of Medicine, Coordination Centre for Clinical Trials, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Eur J Hum Genet 18:104-10. 2010
..the relationships between FTO variants and BMI and fat mass in this isolate of Slavonic origin resident in Germany. In a sample of 948 Sorbs, we could replicate the earlier reported associations of intron 1 SNPs with BMI (eg, P-..
- Asthma: prevalence and cost of illness
Institute of Health Economics and Clinical Epidemiology of the University of Cologne, Gleueler Str 176 178, 50935 Cologne, Germany
Eur Respir J 25:47-53. 2005
The purpose of this study was to estimate the prevalence and cost of illness of asthma in Germany by retrospectively analysing routine health insurance data...
- A short history of health technology assessment in Germany
Int J Technol Assess Health Care 25:112-9. 2009
To provide an overview of the development of health technology assessment (HTA) in Germany since the 1990s.
- On the phylogenetic position of the pre-Neandertal specimen from Reilingen, Germany
Department of Neurological Surgery, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Hum Evol 34:485-508. 1998
..the morphology and phylogenetic significance of a well-preserved fossil human cranium found near Reilingen, Germany in 1978. The specimen consists of two complete parietals, most of the right temporal, and 70% of the occipital...
- Bowel management in patients with spinal cord injury -- a multicentre study of the German speaking society of paraplegia (DMGP)
Department in Nursing Science, Institute for Clinical Research, Swiss Paraplegic Center, Nottwil, Switzerland
Spinal Cord 43:724-30. 2005
..SETTING: In total, 29 rehabilitation facilities for SCI patients in Austria, Germany, the Netherlands and Switzerland, with a total of 837 hospitalized SCI patients...
- [Acute effects on the health of children after accidental exposure to epichlorohydrine]
Arbeitsgruppe Arbeits- und Umweltepidemiologie and Net Teaching,
Gesundheitswesen 68:309-15. 2006
PURPOSE: In September 2002, two freight trains collided at Bad Muender, Germany. The inhabitants were potentially exposed to combustion products and to the human carcinogen epichlorohydrine (ECH)...
- [The prevalence of postural disorders in children and adolescents: a cross sectional study]
J F Mahlknecht
Z Orthop Unfall 145:338-42. 2007
..This study is focuses on the prevalence of postural insufficiency before and during adolescence with an objective test procedure and a more accurate interpretation of the Matthiass arm-raising test...
- Sexual abuse in childhood and youth as psychopathologically relevant life occurrence: cross-sectional survey
Marius K Nickel
Department for Psychosomatic Medicine, Inntalklinik, Simbach Inn, Germany
Croat Med J 45:483-9. 2004
..To assess the perpetrators of sexual abuse in childhood, forms of simultaneous abuse, and characteristics of the families of origin, and the possible effects of abuse on health in adult life...
- [Plantar fasciitis and radiotherapy. Clinical and radiobiological treatment results]
Klinik und Poliklinik für Strahlentherapie Radioonkologie, Universitatsklinikum, Munster
Orthopade 34:579-91. 2005
..5 and 4.0 Gy. These results may provide a possible explanation for a local anti-inflammatory effect of low-dose RT. RT may be an excellent alternative for patients with contraindications to long-term treatment with steroids or NSAID...
- Estimating the prevalence of mental and somatic disorders in the community: aims and methods of the German National Health Interview and Examination Survey
Institute of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Unit, Technical University of Dresden, Germany
Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 11:1-18. 2002
..health supplement (GHS-MHS), the first nationwide, epidemiological study of both somatic and mental health in Germany on a representative sample of 4,181 subjects in the community...
- [Discomforts and injuries of the spine and medical examinations in young talented female gymnasts]
H C Heitkamp
Abteilung Sportmedizin der Med Klinik der Universität Tübingen
Sportverletz Sportschaden 19:77-81. 2005
- Pressure ulcers in German nursing homes and acute care hospitals: prevalence, frequency, and ulcer characteristics
Nils A Lahmann
Institut für Medizin Pflegepädagogik und Pflegewissenschaft, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Mitte Schumannstr 20 21, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Ostomy Wound Manage 52:20-33. 2006
..Analysis of wounds in this large patient population provides more detailed information about the problem of pressure ulcers and should help improve prevention and treatment...
- [Quality control of thoracic X-rays in children in diagnostic centers with and without pediatric-radiologic competence]
C D Alt
Abteilung Pädiatrische Radiologie, Universitätsklinik Heidelberg
Rofo 178:191-9. 2006
..We then evaluated differences in image quality in departments without pediatric competence (R) and departments with pediatric competence (PR)...
- [External comparative quality assurance in appendectomy. Results of 2001 federal evaluation, 1]
Chirurg 74:M34-9. 2003
- [Cardiovascular high-risk constellations in primary care. DETECT Study 2003]
, , Germany
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 48:1374-82. 2005
..The study describes for the first time in greater detail the prevalence of specific disorders and the frequency of high-risk constellations in primary care and allows for the evaluation of various risk scores...
- [Income differences in health and life expectancy--cross-sectional and longitudinal findings of the German Socio-Economic Panel (GSOEP)]
Robert Koch Institut, Berlin
Gesundheitswesen 68:219-30. 2006
..Furthermore, work environment and job-specific influences, stress burdens and reactions, social comparison processes and disease-induced processes of declining social mobility and social exclusion are discussed as possible explanations...
- [The prevalence of pain and deformities in the feet of adolescents. Results of a cross-sectional study]
Praxisklinik für Unfallchirurgie und Orthopädie, Eisenach
Z Orthop Ihre Grenzgeb 142:389-96. 2004
..The purpose of the study was to evaluate the prevalence of foot pain and foot deformities in adolescents. It was aimed to obtain information on the association between foot pain and foot deformities...
- Adult obesity, farm childhood, and their effect on allergic sensitization
Institute for Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Unit for Occupational and Environmental Epidemiology and Net Teaching, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Germany
J Allergy Clin Immunol 118:1279-83. 2006
..Obesity as well as a reduced microbial exposure, 2 markers of Western lifestyle, might be associated with an increased risk of allergic sensitization...
- [What questions are appropriate for predicting the risk of chronic disease in patients suffering from acute low back pain?]
Orthopadische Universitatsklinik, Heidelberg
Z Orthop Ihre Grenzgeb 143:299-301. 2005
..The objective of the study was to develop a brief questionnaire to determine the risk of chronification for patients suffering from lumbar (low) back pain who are consulting a physician for the first or second time...
- [Prevalence of functional pain of the back, the hip and the knee in adolescents. Results of a cross-sectional study]
Praxisklinik für Unfallchirurgie und Orthopädie, Eisenach
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 129:2285-90. 2004
..To determine the prevalence of functional back, hip and knee pain in adolescents. Risk factors which are associated with these complaints also should be detected...