Genomes and Genes
Summary: A state in western Australia. Its capital is Perth. It was first visited by the Dutch in 1616 but the English took possession in 1791 and permanent colonization began in 1829. It was a penal settlement 1850-1888, became part of the colonial government in 1886, and was granted self government in 1890. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p1329)
Publications267 found, 100 shown here
- The molecular epidemiology and evolution of the Panton-Valentine leukocidin-positive, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strain USA300 in Western AustraliaS Monecke
Institute for Medical Microbiology and Hygiene, Faculty of Medicine Carl Gustav Carus, Technical University of Dresden, D 01307 Dresden, Germany
Clin Microbiol Infect 15:770-6. 2009..Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)-12' (WA MRSA-12) were recovered from 72 patients living in the Perth area in Western Australia. These isolates were found to belong to multilocus sequence type 8, and had a USA300-like pulsed-field gel ..
- A validation study: how effective is the Hospital Morbidity Data as a surveillance tool for heart failure in Western Australia?Tiew Hwa Katherine Teng
School of Population Heath, University of Western Australia, Crawley, Western Australia, Australia
Aust N Z J Public Health 32:405-7. 2008..To determine the accuracy of the hospital discharge coding of heart failure (HF) in the Western Australian (WA) Hospital Morbidity Data (HMD)...
- What is the impact of missing Indigenous status on mortality estimates? An assessment using record linkage in Western AustraliaGlenn K Draper
Epidemiology Branch, Department of Health, Western Australia
Aust N Z J Public Health 33:325-31. 2009..The analysis aimed to assess the Indigenous status of an increasing number of deaths not coded with a useable Indigenous status from 1997 to 2002 and its impact on reported recent gains in Indigenous mortality...
- Outcomes of congenital diaphragmatic hernia: a population-based study in Western AustraliaJoanne Colvin
Department of Neonatal Pediatrics, Women s and Children s Health Service, Perth, Australia
Pediatrics 116:e356-63. 2005..We also sought to ascertain the prenatal and postnatal factors associated with morbidity and death among these infants...
- Deaths from non-melanoma skin cancer in Western AustraliaJ Girschik
Western Australian Institute for Medical Research, B Block, Ground Floor, Hospital Ave, Nedlands, WA 6009, Australia
Cancer Causes Control 19:879-85. 2008..However, there are still nearly 400 deaths from NMSC in Australia annually. We aimed to investigate the accuracy of NMSC death coding and to describe the characteristics of these deaths and the potential for prevention...
- Patterns, trends, and increasing disparities in mortality for Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal infants born in Western Australia, 1980-2001: population database studyC Jane Freemantle
Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, Centre for Child Health Research, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Lancet 367:1758-66. 2006..We have examined mortality rates in these populations in Western Australia.
- Research use of linked health data--a best practice protocolC W Kelman
Department of Health and Ageing, Canberra, ACT
Aust N Z J Public Health 26:251-5. 2002..This approach is designed to promote confidence in the community and among data custodians that there are benefits of linked health information being used and that individual privacy is being rigorously protected...
- Dietary patterns identified using factor analysis and prostate cancer risk: a case control study in Western AustraliaGina Leslie Ambrosini
School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Australia
Ann Epidemiol 18:364-70. 2008..We investigated empirical dietary patterns and prostate cancer risk in Western Australia (WA) using a population-based case-control study.
- The incidence and management of priapism in Western Australia: a 16 year auditC M Earle
Keogh Institute for Medical Research, QEII Medical Centre, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
Int J Impot Res 15:272-6. 2003The objective of the study was to conduct a retrospective audit of patients who presented with priapism in Western Australia during the years 1985-2000...
- Antivenom dosing in 35 patients with severe brown snake (Pseudonaja) envenoming in Western Australia over 10 yearsJustin M Yeung
Department of Emergency Medicine, Royal Perth Hospital, University of Western Australia, Perth, WA
Med J Aust 181:703-5. 2004..To investigate the doses of antivenom administered to adult patients with severe brown snake envenoming...
- Long-term survival outcomes following breast cancer surgery in Western AustraliaKatrina Spilsbury
Western Australian Safety and Quality of Surgical Care Project, Centre for Health Services Research, School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Crawley, Australia
ANZ J Surg 75:625-30. 2005..The aim of the present study was to investigate how hospital, social and demographic factors were associated with survival outcomes from surgically treated breast cancer for all women living in Western Australia.
- Invasive species can't cover their tracks: using microsatellites to assist management of starling (Sturnus vulgaris) populations in Western AustraliaLee Ann Rollins
Evolution and Ecology Research Centre, School of Biological Earth and Environmental Science, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
Mol Ecol 18:1560-73. 2009..One population consisted of all sampling sites from the expansion front in Western Australia, where control efforts are focused...
- Rapidly increasing prevalence of eosinophilic oesophagitis in Western AustraliaS Cherian
Department of Histopathology, PathWest Laboratory Medicine KEMH PMH, Perth, Australia
Arch Dis Child 91:1000-4. 2006..To assess the prevalence of eosinophilic oesophagitis in a tertiary paediatric gastroenterology clinic population...
- Understanding, beliefs and perspectives of Aboriginal people in Western Australia about cancer and its impact on access to cancer servicesShaouli Shahid
Centre for International Health, Curtin University of Technology, Perth WA 6845, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 9:132. 2009..This research explored Western Australian (WA) Aboriginal peoples' perceptions, beliefs and understanding of cancer...
- Listeria awareness among new mothers in Western AustraliaS Torvaldsen
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, Australian National University, Australian Capital Territory
Aust N Z J Public Health 23:362-7. 1999To assess awareness, knowledge and behaviour relating to Listeria among recent mothers (12 weeks post-partum) in Western Australia and determine the usefulness of a Listeria information pamphlet.
- European origin of Bradyrhizobium populations infecting lupins and serradella in soils of Western Australia and South AfricaTomasz Stepkowski
Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences, 61 704 Poznan, Noskowskiego 12 14, Poland
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:7041-52. 2005..approach to elucidate the origin of serradella and lupin Bradyrhizobium strains that persist in soils of Western Australia and South Africa...
- Aboriginal mothers, breastfeeding and smokingDawn Gilchrist
Goldfields South East Health Region, Western Australia
Aust N Z J Public Health 28:225-8. 2004..To document the smoking practices of Aboriginal mothers living in Perth during pregnancy and during the subsequent year while feeding their infants...
- Risk factors for isolated talipes equinovarus in Western Australia, 1980-1994M Carey
School of Public Health, Curtin University, Perth, Western Australia
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 19:238-45. 2005....
- Mortality in a cohort of opiate and amphetamine users in Perth, Western AustraliaAnne Bartu
Drug and Alcohol Office, Mt Lawley, Western Australia, Australia
Addiction 99:53-60. 2004..This study compares the hazard of death among opiate and amphetamine using clients who accessed drug treatment with individuals who had no specialist treatment contact between 1985 and 1998...
- Impact of dryland salinity on population dynamics of vector mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) of Ross River virus in inland areas of southwestern Western AustraliaA Jardine
School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, M431, 35 Stirling Hwy, Crawley, Perth, WA 6009, Australia
J Med Entomol 45:1011-22. 2008..camptorhynchus, and the scarce and uneven distribution of the human population in the region...
- Colonization of ephemeral water bodies in the Wheatbelt of Western Australia by assemblages of mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae): role of environmental factors, habitat, and disturbanceScott Carver
School of Animal Biology M085, University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley 6009, Western Australia, Australia
Environ Entomol 38:1585-94. 2009..of ephemeral water bodies by mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) in the Wheatbelt region of southwest Western Australia, an area substantially affected by an expanding anthropogenic salinization...
- The mortality of women exposed environmentally and domestically to blue asbestos at Wittenoom, Western AustraliaA Reid
Occupational Respiratory Epidemiology, School of Population Health, M431, University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
Occup Environ Med 65:743-9. 2008..Women are more likely to have obtained their asbestos exposure domestically or from their environment...
- Malignant pleural and peritoneal mesotheliomas in former miners and millers of crocidolite at Wittenoom, Western AustraliaG Berry
School of Public Health, University of Sydney, New South Wales 2006, Australia
Occup Environ Med 61:e14. 2004..To report the number of malignant pleural and peritoneal mesotheliomas that have occurred in former Wittenoom crocidolite workers to the end of 2000, and to compare this with earlier predictions...
- HIV/AIDS knowledge and attitudes among West African immigrant women in Western AustraliaPeter D Drummond
School of Psychology, Murdoch University, South Street, Murdoch, WA 6150, Australia
Sex Health 5:251-9. 2008..The aim of the present study was to investigate knowledge about HIV and attitudes towards condom use in West African refugees who had settled in Perth, Western Australia, within the past 5 years.
- Hospitalisations due to interpersonal violence: a population-based study in Western AustraliaLynn B Meuleners
Centre for Population Health Research, School of Public Health, Curtin University, Perth, WA, Australia
Med J Aust 188:572-5. 2008..To quantify the impact on the Western Australian health care system of hospitalisations due to interpersonal violence, and to identify risk factors for a repeat hospital admission for interpersonal violence...
- Increase in type 2 diabetes in children and adolescents in Western AustraliaSarah K McMahon
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Princess Margaret Hospital for Children, Perth, WA, Australia
Med J Aust 180:459-61. 2004To document diagnosis rates of type 2 diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents in Western Australia over the past 12 years, the clinical characteristics of these patients and any comorbidities.
- Molecular epidemiology of Giardia and Cryptosporidium infections in dairy calves originating from three sources in Western AustraliaK A Becher
World Health Organization Collaborating Centre, Molecular Epidemiology of Parasitic Infections and Western Australian Biomedical Research Institute, Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, Murdoch, WA 6150, Australia
Vet Parasitol 123:1-9. 2004..was undertaken to determine the spread of naturally acquired Giardia and Cryptosporidium in dairy cattle in Western Australia. Samples were collected weekly from birth to weaning, and only calves that were sampled four or more times ..
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus clones, Western AustraliaGeoffrey W Coombs
Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Emerg Infect Dis 12:241-7. 2006Community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) was first reported in Western Australia in the early 1990s from indigenous peoples living in remote areas...
- Molecular diversity of rumen methanogens from sheep in Western AustraliaAndre Denis G Wright
CSIRO Livestock Industries, Centre for Environment and Life Sciences, Wembley, Western Australia 6913, Australia
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:1263-70. 2004..These unique sequences appear to represent a novel group of rumen archaea that are atypical for the rumen environment...
- Fine-scale comparative phylogeography of a sympatric sister species triplet of subterranean diving beetles from a single calcrete aquifer in Western AustraliaM T Guzik
Australian Centre for Evolutionary Biology and Biodiversity, School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
Mol Ecol 18:3683-98. 2009Calcrete aquifers in the arid Yilgarn region of central Western Australia are a biodiversity hotspot for stygofauna...
- Serum ferritin and cardiovascular disease: a 17-year follow-up study in Busselton, Western AustraliaM W Knuiman
School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, Western Australia, Australia
Am J Epidemiol 158:144-9. 2003..between serum ferritin level and coronary heart disease (CHD) and stroke events was evaluated in a long-term Western Australia prospective study in 1981-1998...
- Medical record linkage in Australia: this is as good as it getsGraham G Giles
Cancer Council Victoria, Melbourne, Australia
ANZ J Surg 75:259. 2005
- Primary malignant bone tumours in Western Australia, 1972-1996John B Blackwell
Bone Tumour Registry of Western Australia, and Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Western Australia, Western Australia, Australia
Pathology 37:278-83. 2005To study the incidence of primary malignant bone tumours in Western Australia (WA) from 1972 to 1996 using the database of the WA Bone Tumour Registry (BTR) and to compare these rates with those in the United States of America (USA)...
- Predicted mortality from malignant mesothelioma among women exposed to blue asbestos at Wittenoom, Western AustraliaA Reid
Occupational Respiratory Epidemiology, School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
Occup Environ Med 66:169-74. 2009..women and girls were documented to have lived at the blue asbestos mining and milling town of Wittenoom in Western Australia between 1943 and 1992...
- Setting priorities in the south west of Western Australia: where are we now?Craig Mitton
Centre for Healthcare Innovation and Improvement, BC Research Institute for Women s and Children s Health, Vancouver, Canada
Aust Health Rev 28:301-10. 2004..for developing a formal approach to priority setting in the South West Area Health Service (SWAHS) in Western Australia, we carried out a qualitative survey of senior decision makers...
- Outbreak of sporotrichosis, Western AustraliaKynan T Feeney
Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
Emerg Infect Dis 13:1228-31. 2007A cluster of sporotrichosis cases occurred in the Busselton-Margaret River region of Western Australia from 2000 to 2003...
- Control of genital chlamydial infection in the Kimberley region of Western AustraliaDonna B Mak
Med J Aust 180:45. 2004
- Absent otoacoustic emissions predict otitis media in young Aboriginal children: a birth cohort study in Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal children in an arid zone of Western AustraliaDeborah Lehmann
Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, Centre for Child Health Research, University of Western Australia, Australia
BMC Pediatr 8:32. 2008..Absent transient evoked otoacoustic emissions (TEOAEs) may predict subsequent risk of OM...
- Incidence of bariatric surgery and postoperative outcomes: a population-based analysis in Western AustraliaFiona J Smith
School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Perth, WA
Med J Aust 189:198-202. 2008To investigate the incidence of bariatric surgery and postoperative outcomes in a population-based cohort of patients in Western Australia over a 17-year period.
- Factors associated with the initiation and duration of breastfeeding by Chinese mothers in Perth, Western AustraliaLin Li
School of Public Health, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Western Australia
J Hum Lact 20:188-95. 2004..by Chinese Australian mothers, a cross-sectional survey of 506 Mandarin-speaking women in Perth, Western Australia, was conducted...
- The effect of passive smoking on the risk of otitis media in Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal children in the Kalgoorlie-Boulder region of Western AustraliaPeter A Jacoby
Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, Centre for Child Health Research, University of Western Australia, Perth, WA, Australia
Med J Aust 188:599-603. 2008..To determine the risk of otitis media (OM) associated with passive smoking in young children, and any competing effect between passive smoking and childcare attendance...
- Occurrence of gastrointestinal parasites in horses in metropolitan Perth, Western AustraliaA C Boxell
Division of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, Murdoch, Western Australia 6150
Aust Vet J 82:91-5. 2004..To assess the occurrence of gastrointestinal parasites in horses in Perth. To apply polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for the identification of some species of encysted larval cyathostomes...
- Treatment patterns for cancer in Western Australia: does being Indigenous make a difference?Sonja E Hall
School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
Med J Aust 181:191-4. 2004..To examine whether hospital patients with cancer who were identified as Indigenous were as likely to receive surgery for the cancer as non-Indigenous patients...
- The Quality of Surgical Care Project: a model to evaluate surgical outcomes in Western Australia using population-based record linkageJ B Semmens
Centre for Health Services Research, Department of Public Health, University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Australia
Aust N Z J Surg 68:397-403. 1998..surgical outcomes and, where indicated, recommend changes to improve the quality of surgical care in Western Australia (WA)...
- Heart failure: incidence, case fatality, and hospitalization rates in Western Australia between 1990 and 2005Tiew Hwa Katherine Teng
School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia
Circ Heart Fail 3:236-43. 2010..We examined trends in incidence of first-ever (index) hospitalization for heart failure (HF), hospitalization rates, and 30-day and 1-year all-cause mortality subsequent to index hospitalization for HF...
- Lip cancer in Western Australia, 1982-2006: a 25-year retrospective epidemiological studyL Abreu
The Centre for Rural and Remote Oral Health, The University of Western Australia
Aust Dent J 54:130-5. 2009The aim of this study was to report on the epidemiological trends in incidence and mortality rates of lip cancer in Western Australia from 1982-2006.
- Barriers to participation of Aboriginal people in cancer care: communication in the hospital settingShaouli Shahid
Centre for International Health, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, WA, Australia
Med J Aust 190:574-9. 2009..To report Aboriginal patients' views about effective communication between Aboriginal people and health service providers in Western Australian hospital settings...
- Modifying effects of HLA-DRB1 allele interactions on age at onset of multiple sclerosis in Western AustraliaJing Shan Wu
Centre of Neuromuscular and Neurological Disorders, University of Western Australia, Department of Neurology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Queen Elizabeth Medical Centre, Perth, Western Australia
Mult Scler 16:15-20. 2010..These findings indicate that epistatic interactions at the HLA-DRB1 locus have significant modifying effects on age at onset of multiple sclerosis and demonstrate the value of high-resolution genotyping in detecting such associations...
- Assessing the outcome of compulsory psychiatric treatment in the community: epidemiological study in Western AustraliaNeil J Preston
Mental Health Directorate, Fremantle Hospital and Health Service, PO Box 480 Fremantle, WA 6160, Australia
BMJ 324:1244. 2002..To examine whether community treatment orders for psychiatric patients reduce subsequent use of health services in comparison with control patients not placed on an order...
- Management and outcomes of postoperative endophthalmitis since the endophthalmitis vitrectomy study: the Endophthalmitis Population Study of Western Australia (EPSWA)'s fifth reportJonathon Q Ng
School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, Australia
Ophthalmology 112:1199-206. 2005..To examine if changes in the diagnosis and management of postoperative endophthalmitis have occurred since 1995, and to identify factors that might predict final visual outcome...
- Hymenopteran parasitoids of forensic importance: host associations, seasonality, and prevalence of parasitoids of carrion flies in Western AustraliaSasha C Voss
Centre for Forensic Science M420, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Hwy, Crawley, Western Australia 6009, Australia
J Med Entomol 46:1210-9. 2009..flies was conducted to establish the parasitoid species of potential forensic significance in Western Australia. Host associations, seasonality, and rates of parasitism in the field were examined to assess the value of ..
- A decade of data linkage in Western Australia: strategic design, applications and benefits of the WA data linkage systemC D Arcy J Holman
Centre for Health Services Research, School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Perth, WA 6009, Australia
Aust Health Rev 32:766-77. 2008..Staged development has seen its expansion, initially from a linkage key to local health data sets, to encompass links to national and local health and welfare data sets, genealogical links and spatial references for mapping applications...
- Who receives specialist palliative care in Western Australia--and who misses outL K Rosenwax
School of Occupational Therapy, Curtin University of Technology, GPO Box U1987, Perth, WA 6845, Australia
Palliat Med 20:439-45. 2006..To describe the characteristics of Western Australian (WA) people who received, and did not receive, specialist palliative care (SPC) during their last 12 months of life...
- Factors associated with short-term hospital readmission rates for breast cancer patients in Western Australia: an observational studyJeffrey K Lai
School of Finance and Applied Statistics, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
J Am Coll Surg 204:193-200. 2007....
- Attitudes toward information and communication technology (ICT) in residential aged care in Western AustraliaPoh Kooi Loh
WA Center for Health and Ageing, Department of Geriatric Medicine, Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
J Am Med Dir Assoc 10:408-13. 2009..Determine why introduction of health consulting services via Telehealth video conference consultations failed in residential aged care facilities (RACF)...
- Falling incidence of amputations for peripheral occlusive arterial disease in Western Australia between 1980 and 1992E Mattes
Department of Surgery, University of Western Australia, Australia
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 13:14-22. 1997..To assess temporal trends in the incidence of surgical procedures for peripheral occlusive arterial disease (POAD) and associated changes in outcome as measured by the rate of major lower limb amputations for POAD...
- Factors affecting place of death in Western AustraliaBeverley McNamara
School of Social and Cultural Studies, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, Perth 6009, Australia
Health Place 13:356-67. 2007..this gap our study employs a longitudinal, population-based retrospective cohort study of people who died in Western Australia over a 30-month period...
- Factors influencing survival after stroke in Western AustraliaAndy H Lee
School of Public Health, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, WA
Med J Aust 179:289-93. 2003..To determine the factors influencing survival among patients admitted to Western Australian hospitals for the first time with stroke or transient ischaemic attack (TIA)...
- Barriers and incentives to HIV treatment uptake among Aboriginal people in Western AustraliaChristy E Newman
National Centre in HIV Social Research, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
AIDS 21:S13-7. 2007To examine the barriers and incentives to HIV treatment uptake among Aboriginal people in Western Australia.
- Prevalence of developmental enamel defects of the first permanent molars among school children in Western AustraliaP Arrow
Department of Health, Western Australia, The University of Western Australia
Aust Dent J 53:250-9. 2008..The aim of this study was to describe the prevalence of enamel defects in the first permanent molars among school children in Western Australia.
- Increased patient co-payments and changes in PBS-subsidised prescription medicines dispensed in Western AustraliaAnna Hynd
School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, New South Wales, Australia
Aust N Z J Public Health 33:246-52. 2009..increase in patient co-payments in January 2005 and two related co-payment changes for medicines subsidised under the Australian Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) were associated with changes in dispensings in Western Australia (WA).
- Oral health care issues in aged care facilities in Western Australia: resident and family caregiver viewsGlenys Anna Paley
School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, WA, Australia
Gerodontology 26:97-104. 2009..To investigate resident and family perceptions and attitudes towards oral health care and access to dental services for aged care facility residents...
- 'O father: where art thou?'--Paternity assessment in an open fission-fusion society of wild bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops sp.) in Shark Bay, Western AustraliaMichael Krützen
School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of New South Wales, Sydney NSW 2052, Australia
Mol Ecol 13:1975-90. 2004..01). Our study suggests that the reproductive success of both allied males, and of nonallied juveniles, needs to be incorporated into an adaptive framework that seeks to explain alliance formation in male bottlenose dolphins...
- Do marginal changes in PHI membership accurately predict marginal changes in PHI use in Western Australia?Rachael Elizabeth Moorin
Australian Centre for Economic Research on Health ACERH, School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
Health Policy 76:288-98. 2006Annual trends in the rate of utilisation of PHI in three different clinical categories were compared with published trends in PHI membership to assess the degree to which PHI membership predicts PHI use in Western Australia.
- Awareness and consumption of folate-fortified foods by women of childbearing age in Western AustraliaW H Oddy
Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, Centre for Child Health Research, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Public Health Nutr 10:989-95. 2007..Our objectives were to determine how many women were aware of folate and when they became aware, what was the awareness of labels on foods that mentioned folate, and how much folate-fortified food women ate...
- Mycobacterial lymphadenitis in Western AustraliaS C Pang
Chest Service, Health Department of Western Australia, Perth
Tuber Lung Dis 73:362-7. 1992The records of 172 patients with culture-positive mycobacterial lymphadenitis in Western Australia between January 1972 and December 1989 inclusive have been reviewed. Of the 118 children under 7 years of age, the disease was caused by M...
- Premorbid personality traits are associated with post-stroke behavioral and psychological symptoms: a three-month follow-up study in Perth, Western AustraliaKathryn R Greenop
WA Centre for Health and Ageing, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Int Psychogeriatr 21:1063-71. 2009..This study sought to investigate further the relationship between premorbid personality and a number of common post-stroke behavioral and psychological symptoms in a three-month follow-up study...
- Factors influencing women's decisions for choice of surgery for Stage I and Stage II breast cancer in Western AustraliaB Mastaglia
School of Nursing and Public Health, Edith Cowan University, Churchlands, Western Australia, Australia
J Adv Nurs 35:836-47. 2001..Internal and external factors have been reported to influence decision-making by women for breast cancer surgery...
- Mental health promotion and illness prevention in Western Australia: a study of service capacitySue Robinson
The Centre for Mental Health Services Research Incorporated, 7 Field Street, Mount Lawley, Western Australia
Health Promot Int 17:263-72. 2002..mental health promotion, mental health promotion and illness prevention (MHPIP) remain underdeveloped in Western Australia. The aim of this study was to explore the current state of MHPIP in Western Australia and to highlight some ..
- Supportive and palliative care needs of families of children with life-threatening illnesses in Western Australia: evidence to guide the development of a palliative care serviceLeanne Monterosso
Division of Health Sciences, Curtin University, Perth, Western Australia
Palliat Med 21:689-96. 2007..To obtain feedback from families of children receiving palliative and supportive care about their care needs in hospital and in community settings...
- Increasing 'active prevalence' of cancer in Western Australia and its implications for health servicesKate J Brameld
Centre for Health Services Research, Department of Public Health, The University of Western Australia, Crawley
Aust N Z J Public Health 26:164-9. 2002To measure the active and total prevalence of cancer in Western Australia from 1990-98 and to examine trends in utilisation of hospital services by prevalent cancer patients.
- Breast cancer in Western Australia: clinical practice and clinical guidelinesSuzanne P McEvoy
School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Perth, WA, Australia
Med J Aust 181:305-9. 2004To review changes in patterns of care for women with early invasive breast cancer in Western Australia from 1989 to 1999, and compare management with recommendations in the 1995 National Health and Medical Research Council guidelines.
- [Identification and mortality of Italian emigrants returning to Italy after having worked in the crocidolite mines at Wittenoon Gorge, Western Australia]E Merler
Unitá Operativa di Epidemiologia, Centro per lo Studio e la Prevenzione Oncologica, Azienda Ospedaliera di Careggi, Firenze, Italia
Epidemiol Prev 24:255-61. 2000The crocidolite mine at Wittenoom Gorge, Western Australia, has been active from 1943 to 1966, and managed by Australian Blue Asbestos Ltd (ABA). Migrants constituted the large majority of workers...
- A seven-year retrospective analysis of students entering medicine via a Rural Student Recruitment program in Western AustraliaAshleigh Emery
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Science, The University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 17:316-20. 2009..was an initiative to address the low number of rural students enrolled in medicine at the University of Western Australia. RSR identifies students throughout rural and remote areas of Australia interested in pursuing a career in ..
- The invasive pest species Ciona intestinalis (Linnaeus, 1767) reported in a harbour in southern Western AustraliaJ McDonald
School of Plant Biology, University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, Western Australia 6009, Australia
Mar Pollut Bull 49:868-70. 2004
- An inclusive approach to raising standards in general practice: working with a 'community of practice' in Western AustraliaMoyez Jiwa
Western Australian Centre for Cancer and Palliative Care, Curtin Health Innovation Research Institute, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
BMC Med Res Methodol 9:13. 2009..There is evidence to suggest that the information relayed to specialists at the time of referral could be improved...
- A clinicopathologic review of lethal nonmelanoma skin cancers in Western AustraliaRichard C Nolan
Department of Anatomical Pathology, Nedlands and Fremantle
J Am Acad Dermatol 52:101-8. 2005..Nonmelanoma skin cancer (NMSC) comprises a heterogeneous group of cancers. A comprehensive review of NMSC mortality has not been performed previously in this region...
- Pre-school child oral health in rural Western AustraliaE Kruger
The Centre for Rural and Remote Oral Health, The University of Western Australia, Crawley
Aust Dent J 50:258-62. 2005..This study aimed to assess caries experience, dental health behaviour and dental service utilization among a sample of pre-school children in a rural community in Western Australia.
- Ovarian cancer in Western Australia (1982-1998): trends in surgical intervention and relative survivalCrystal L Laurvick
Centre for Health Services Research, School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
Gynecol Oncol 88:141-8. 2003We aimed to review the utilisation and trends in surgical procedures for the primary management of ovarian cancer and the survival outcomes of patients surgically treated in Western Australia.
- Diversity and abundance of photosynthetic sponges in temperate Western AustraliaMarie Louise Lemloh
Abteilung Zoologie, Biologisches Institut, Universitat Stuttgart, Pfaffenwaldring 57, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
BMC Ecol 9:4. 2009..The aim of this study was to compare the percentages of photosynthetic sponges in temperate Western Australia (WA) with previously published data on tropical regions, and to determine the abundance and diversity of ..
- Investigation of the southern limits of Murray Valley encephalitis activity in Western Australia during the 2000 wet seasonAnnette K Broom
Arbovirus Surveillance and Research Laboratory, Department of Microbiology, University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 2:87-95. 2002b>Western Australia experienced its worst-ever outbreak of the mosquito-borne Murray Valley encephalitis (MVE) virus during the 2000 wet season...
- Inequalities in breast cancer reconstructive surgery according to social and locational status in Western AustraliaS E Hall
School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, 6009, Crawley, WA, Australia
Eur J Surg Oncol 29:519-25. 2003To study the effects of demographic, locational and social status and the possession of private health insurance in Western Australia on the likelihood of women receiving breast reconstructive surgery after surgery for breast cancer.
- High prevalence Giardia duodenalis assemblage B and potentially zoonotic subtypes in sporadic human cases in Western AustraliaRongchang Yang
Division of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, Murdoch, WA 6150, Australia
Int J Parasitol 40:293-7. 2010..Fecal samples from sporadic human clinical cases of giardiasis in Western Australia were analysed at two loci; 18S rRNA and glutamate dehydrogenase (gdh), and G...
- Findings on potential teratogens from a case-control study in Western AustraliaMartha M Werler
Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, Subiaco, Western Australia, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 43:443-7. 2003..To examine, in Western Australian women, pregnancy use of drugs that have been found to be associated with birth defect risks in other studies...
- Cancer incidence among women and girls environmentally and occupationally exposed to blue asbestos at Wittenoom, Western AustraliaAlison Reid
Occupational Respiratory Epidemiology, School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Crawley, WA, Australia
Int J Cancer 122:2337-44. 2008..Forty years after the asbestos mine and mill at Wittenoom were closed, there is a high toll from cancer among the former female residents of the town and company workers...
- Current value of historical and ongoing surveillance for disease freedom: surveillance for bovine Johne's disease in Western AustraliaP A J Martin
Department of Agriculture and Food, PO Box 1231, Bunbury, Western Australia 6231, Australia
Prev Vet Med 84:291-309. 2008..In the state of Western Australia (WA) the main surveillance evidence supporting Free Zone status in the national bovine Johne's disease (BJD) ..
- Gastrointestinal parasites of domestic cats in Perth, Western AustraliaT R McGlade
Division of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, Murdoch, South Street, Murdoc, Perth, WA 6150, Australia
Vet Parasitol 117:251-62. 2003..The majority (64.5%) of cat owners were aware that feline parasites could be transmitted to humans, however less than half (42.8%) were aware of the modes of transmission to humans...
- Leaf water relations during summer water deficit: differential responses in turgor maintenance and variation in leaf structure among different plant communities in south-western AustraliaPatrick J Mitchell
School of Plant Biology, The University of Western Australia and Cooperative Research Centre for Plant Based Management of Dryland Salinity, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
Plant Cell Environ 31:1791-802. 2008..These correlations suggest that leaf structure is a prerequisite for cellular mechanisms to be effective in adjusting to water deficit...
- Radiographic interpretation and treatment decisions among dental therapists and dentists in Western AustraliaP J Riordan
Health Department of Western Australia, Perth
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 19:268-71. 1991All dentists and dental therapists employed in the Community Dental Services in Western Australia were invited to participate in a questionnaire study to find out about their use of radiographs and opinions and knowledge about the ..
- Rural-urban differences in the presentation, management and survival of breast cancer in Western AustraliaK J Mitchell
School of Population Health, M431, University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Hwy, Crawley, Western Australia 6009, Australia
Breast 15:769-76. 2006From all women diagnosed with invasive breast cancer in 1999 in Western Australia, rural and urban women were compared with regard to mode of detection, tumour characteristics at presentation, diagnostic investigations, treatment and ..
- C-reactive protein and interleukin-18 levels in relation to coronary heart disease: prospective cohort study from Busselton Western AustraliaJoseph Hung
School of Medicine and Pharmacology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital Unit, University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
Heart Lung Circ 17:90-5. 2008..We investigated the relationship between C-reactive protein (CRP) and interleukin-18 (IL-18) levels and risk of CHD in men and women without initial cardiovascular disease...
- Population genetics of commercial and feral honey bees in Western AustraliaNadine C Chapman
School of Biological Sciences A12, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
J Econ Entomol 101:272-7. 2008..diseases in the eastern states, the borders of the state of Western Australia were closed to the import of bees for breeding and other purposes > 25 yr ago...
- Pathology reporting of breast cancer: trends in 1989-1999, following the introduction of mammographic screening in Western AustraliaJ M Harvey
School of Surgery and Pathology, University of Western Australia UWA and PathCentre, Nedlands, WA, Australia
Pathology 37:341-6. 2005A survey of pathology reporting of breast cancer in Western Australia in 1989 highlighted the need for improvement...
- Effectiveness of the black spot programs in Western AustraliaLynn B Meuleners
School of Public Health, Curtin University of Technology, WA, Australia
Accid Anal Prev 40:1211-6. 2008This study evaluates the effectiveness of the Black Spot Programs in Western Australia. Reduction in crash rate at the treated locations and the economic benefits of these treatments were assessed...
- The relationship between remoteness and trauma deaths in Western AustraliaDaniel M Fatovich
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Western Australia, Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
J Trauma 67:910-4. 2009Mortality from trauma in rural areas is increased compared with the urban environment. We aimed to describe the relationship between trauma deaths and various categories of remoteness in rural areas, in Western Australia (WA).
- Independent effects of socioeconomic status and place of residence on the incidence of childhood type 1 diabetes in Western AustraliaAveni Haynes
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Princess Margaret Hospital, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Pediatr Diabetes 7:94-100. 2006To analyze the incidence of type 1 diabetes in 0- to 14-year olds in Western Australia, from 1985 to 2002, by region and socioeconomic status.
- Relation between intrauterine growth and subsequent intellectual disability in a ten-year population cohort of children in Western AustraliaHelen Leonard
Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, Centre for Child Health Research, University of Western Australia, West Perth, Australia
Am J Epidemiol 167:103-11. 2008..Using population-based record linkage, singleton Caucasian and Aboriginal children born in Western Australia in 1983-1992 and alive in 2002 with ID of unknown cause (n = 2,625) were compared with children without ID (..
- Association of sociodemographic characteristics of children with intellectual disability in Western AustraliaHelen Leonard
Centre for Child Health Research, Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, The University of Western Australia, P O Box 855, West Perth, WA 6872, Australia Disability Services Commission, Western Australia, Australia
Soc Sci Med 60:1499-513. 2005..Furthermore, many of the sociodemographic correlates identified in this study, particularly in the mild/moderate category of ID, are potentially modifiable, opening up opportunities for primary prevention...
- Access block causes emergency department overcrowding and ambulance diversion in Perth, Western AustraliaD M Fatovich
University of Western Australia, Australia
Emerg Med J 22:351-4. 2005..We systematically evaluated the relationship between access block, ED overcrowding, ambulance diversion, and ED activity...
- Epizootic activity of Murray Valley encephalitis and Kunjin viruses in an aboriginal community in the southeast Kimberley region of Western Australia: results of mosquito fauna and virus isolation studiesAnnette K Broom
Arbovirus Surveillance and Research Laboratory, Department of Microbiology, The University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Western Australia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 69:277-83. 2003..annual surveys of flavivirus activity in the community of Billiluna in the southeast Kimberley region of Western Australia between 1989 and 2001 [corrected]...
- Two possible mechanisms for survival and initiation of Murray Valley encephalitis virus activity in the Kimberley region of Western AustraliaA K Broom
Department of Microbiology, University of Western Australia, Queen Elizabeth II Medical Centre, Nedlands
Am J Trop Med Hyg 53:95-9. 1995..tremulus. Both mechanisms are discussed with respect to environmental conditions...
- DNA Variants and AAA DiseasePhilip S Tsao; Fiscal Year: 2010..well as in a complementary cohort of equally well-phenotyped AAA patients and controls- participants of the Western Australia Screening Study (WASS)...
- 4th Western Pacific Helicobacter CongressBarry Marshall; Fiscal Year: 2002..LOCATION: The Congress will be held at the Sheraton Perth Hotel, Perth, Western Australia. TYPES OF PARTICIPANTS: Gastroenterologist-physician and surgeon, Research Scientist, Postdoctoral ..
- CHILDRENS CANCER GROUP--COMPETITIVE GRANT RENEWALDavid Baker; Fiscal Year: 2002..for Children (PMH) is the sole tertiary university affiliated paediatric teaching hospital for the State of Western Australia and provides the only multidisciplinary paediatric oncology service in the state, which has a population of ..
- Tobacco Control in S.Africa: Prevention and Capacity Bu*Ken Resnicow; Fiscal Year: 2006..other on a Harm Minimization model (KEEP LEFT), developed by the principal investigator with colleagues from Western Australia. Approximately 36 Schools will be randomly assigned to one of three experimental groups...
- International Society Environmental Epidemiology 2003Irva Hertz Picciotto; Fiscal Year: 2003..of the International Society for Environmental Epidemiology (ISEE) will be held at the Hyatt Hotel in Perth, Western Australia, on the 24-26 September 2003...
- FAILURE TIME METHODS FOR FAMILY DISEASE STUDIESDavid Glidden; Fiscal Year: 2003..Method (3) will be applied to a family study of coronary heart disease in Western Australia. Well-documented, user-friendly programs will be developed and made publicly available.
- Rett syndrome: determinants of outcome and burdenHelen Leonard; Fiscal Year: 2007..Feedback to families on study progress will be given through the study Web site. ..
- BURPPE:BU Reproductive, Perinatal, and Pediatric Epidemiology Training ProgramMartha Werler; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Dietary Glycemic Load, Obesity, and Birth Defect RisksMartha Werler; Fiscal Year: 2007....