Genomes and Genes
Summary: A state in western Australia. Its capital is Perth. It was first visited by the Dutch in 1616 but the English took possession in 1791 and permanent colonization began in 1829. It was a penal settlement 1850-1888, became part of the colonial government in 1886, and was granted self government in 1890. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p1329)
Publications232 found, 100 shown here
- The molecular epidemiology and evolution of the Panton-Valentine leukocidin-positive, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strain USA300 in Western AustraliaS Monecke
Institute for Medical Microbiology and Hygiene, Faculty of Medicine Carl Gustav Carus, Technical University of Dresden, D 01307 Dresden, Germany
Clin Microbiol Infect 15:770-6. 2009..Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)-12' (WA MRSA-12) were recovered from 72 patients living in the Perth area in Western Australia. These isolates were found to belong to multilocus sequence type 8, and had a USA300-like pulsed-field gel ..
- Association of sociodemographic characteristics of children with intellectual disability in Western AustraliaHelen Leonard
Centre for Child Health Research, Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, The University of Western Australia, P O Box 855, West Perth, WA 6872, Australia Disability Services Commission, Western Australia, Australia
Soc Sci Med 60:1499-513. 2005..Furthermore, many of the sociodemographic correlates identified in this study, particularly in the mild/moderate category of ID, are potentially modifiable, opening up opportunities for primary prevention...
- Deaths from non-melanoma skin cancer in Western AustraliaJ Girschik
Western Australian Institute for Medical Research, B Block, Ground Floor, Hospital Ave, Nedlands, WA 6009, Australia
Cancer Causes Control 19:879-85. 2008..However, there are still nearly 400 deaths from NMSC in Australia annually. We aimed to investigate the accuracy of NMSC death coding and to describe the characteristics of these deaths and the potential for prevention...
- Outcomes of congenital diaphragmatic hernia: a population-based study in Western AustraliaJoanne Colvin
Department of Neonatal Pediatrics, Women's and Children's Health Service, Perth, Australia
Pediatrics 116:e356-63. 2005..METHODS: A retrospective study of all cases of CDH in Western Australia from 1991 to 2002 was conducted...
- Risk factors for isolated talipes equinovarus in Western Australia, 1980-1994M Carey
School of Public Health, Curtin University, Perth, Western Australia
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 19:238-45. 2005....
- Mortality in a cohort of opiate and amphetamine users in Perth, Western AustraliaAnne Bartu
Drug and Alcohol Office, Mt Lawley, Western Australia, Australia
Addiction 99:53-60. 2004..This study compares the hazard of death among opiate and amphetamine using clients who accessed drug treatment with individuals who had no specialist treatment contact between 1985 and 1998...
- Colonization of ephemeral water bodies in the Wheatbelt of Western Australia by assemblages of mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae): role of environmental factors, habitat, and disturbanceScott Carver
School of Animal Biology M085, University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley 6009, Western Australia, Australia
Environ Entomol 38:1585-94. 2009..of ephemeral water bodies by mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) in the Wheatbelt region of southwest Western Australia, an area substantially affected by an expanding anthropogenic salinization...
- Impact of dryland salinity on population dynamics of vector mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) of Ross River virus in inland areas of southwestern Western AustraliaA Jardine
School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, M431, 35 Stirling Hwy, Crawley, Perth, WA 6009, Australia
J Med Entomol 45:1011-22. 2008..camptorhynchus, and the scarce and uneven distribution of the human population in the region...
- The mortality of women exposed environmentally and domestically to blue asbestos at Wittenoom, Western AustraliaA Reid
Occupational Respiratory Epidemiology, School of Population Health, M431, University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
Occup Environ Med 65:743-9. 2008..Women are more likely to have obtained their asbestos exposure domestically or from their environment...
- HIV/AIDS knowledge and attitudes among West African immigrant women in Western AustraliaPeter D Drummond
School of Psychology, Murdoch University, South Street, Murdoch, WA 6150, Australia
Sex Health 5:251-9. 2008..The aim of the present study was to investigate knowledge about HIV and attitudes towards condom use in West African refugees who had settled in Perth, Western Australia, within the past 5 years.
- Increase in type 2 diabetes in children and adolescents in Western AustraliaSarah K McMahon
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Princess Margaret Hospital for Children, Perth, WA, Australia
Med J Aust 180:459-61. 2004OBJECTIVES: To document diagnosis rates of type 2 diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents in Western Australia over the past 12 years, the clinical characteristics of these patients and any comorbidities...
- Hospitalisations due to interpersonal violence: a population-based study in Western AustraliaLynn B Meuleners
Centre for Population Health Research, School of Public Health, Curtin University, Perth, WA, Australia
Med J Aust 188:572-5. 2008..To quantify the impact on the Western Australian health care system of hospitalisations due to interpersonal violence, and to identify risk factors for a repeat hospital admission for interpersonal violence...
- Malignant pleural and peritoneal mesotheliomas in former miners and millers of crocidolite at Wittenoom, Western AustraliaG Berry
School of Public Health, University of Sydney, New South Wales 2006, Australia
Occup Environ Med 61:e14. 2004..To report the number of malignant pleural and peritoneal mesotheliomas that have occurred in former Wittenoom crocidolite workers to the end of 2000, and to compare this with earlier predictions...
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus clones, Western AustraliaGeoffrey W Coombs
Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Emerg Infect Dis 12:241-7. 2006Community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) was first reported in Western Australia in the early 1990s from indigenous peoples living in remote areas...
- Primary malignant bone tumours in Western Australia, 1972-1996John B Blackwell
Bone Tumour Registry of Western Australia, and Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Western Australia, Western Australia, Australia
Pathology 37:278-83. 2005To study the incidence of primary malignant bone tumours in Western Australia (WA) from 1972 to 1996 using the database of the WA Bone Tumour Registry (BTR) and to compare these rates with those in the United States of America (USA)...
- Predicted mortality from malignant mesothelioma among women exposed to blue asbestos at Wittenoom, Western AustraliaA Reid
Occupational Respiratory Epidemiology, School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
Occup Environ Med 66:169-74. 2009..women and girls were documented to have lived at the blue asbestos mining and milling town of Wittenoom in Western Australia between 1943 and 1992...
- Relation between intrauterine growth and subsequent intellectual disability in a ten-year population cohort of children in Western AustraliaHelen Leonard
Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, Centre for Child Health Research, University of Western Australia, West Perth, Australia
Am J Epidemiol 167:103-11. 2008..Using population-based record linkage, singleton Caucasian and Aboriginal children born in Western Australia in 1983-1992 and alive in 2002 with ID of unknown cause (n = 2,625) were compared with children without ID (..
- Mycobacterial lymphadenitis in Western AustraliaS C Pang
Chest Service, Health Department of Western Australia, Perth
Tuber Lung Dis 73:362-7. 1992The records of 172 patients with culture-positive mycobacterial lymphadenitis in Western Australia between January 1972 and December 1989 inclusive have been reviewed. Of the 118 children under 7 years of age, the disease was caused by M...
- Aboriginal mothers, breastfeeding and smokingDawn Gilchrist
Goldfields South-East Health Region, Western Australia
Aust N Z J Public Health 28:225-8. 2004..Targeted antenatal smoking cessation programs are needed for Aboriginal mothers...
- Dietary patterns identified using factor analysis and prostate cancer risk: a case control study in Western AustraliaGina Leslie Ambrosini
School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Australia
Ann Epidemiol 18:364-70. 2008..We investigated empirical dietary patterns and prostate cancer risk in Western Australia (WA) using a population-based case-control study.
- Mental health promotion and illness prevention in Western Australia: a study of service capacitySue Robinson
The Centre for Mental Health Services Research Incorporated, 7 Field Street, Mount Lawley, Western Australia
Health Promot Int 17:263-72. 2002..mental health promotion, mental health promotion and illness prevention (MHPIP) remain underdeveloped in Western Australia. The aim of this study was to explore the current state of MHPIP in Western Australia and to highlight some ..
- The incidence and management of priapism in Western Australia: a 16 year auditC M Earle
Keogh Institute for Medical Research, QEII Medical Centre, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
Int J Impot Res 15:272-6. 2003The objective of the study was to conduct a retrospective audit of patients who presented with priapism in Western Australia during the years 1985-2000...
- Premorbid personality traits are associated with post-stroke behavioral and psychological symptoms: a three-month follow-up study in Perth, Western AustraliaKathryn R Greenop
WA Centre for Health and Ageing, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Int Psychogeriatr 21:1063-71. 2009..This study sought to investigate further the relationship between premorbid personality and a number of common post-stroke behavioral and psychological symptoms in a three-month follow-up study...
- Factors influencing women's decisions for choice of surgery for Stage I and Stage II breast cancer in Western AustraliaB Mastaglia
School of Nursing and Public Health, Edith Cowan University, Churchlands, Western Australia, Australia
J Adv Nurs 35:836-47. 2001..Internal and external factors have been reported to influence decision-making by women for breast cancer surgery...
- Supportive and palliative care needs of families of children with life-threatening illnesses in Western Australia: evidence to guide the development of a palliative care serviceLeanne Monterosso
Division of Health Sciences, Curtin University, Perth, Western Australia
Palliat Med 21:689-96. 2007..To obtain feedback from families of children receiving palliative and supportive care about their care needs in hospital and in community settings...
- Antivenom dosing in 35 patients with severe brown snake (Pseudonaja) envenoming in Western Australia over 10 yearsJustin M Yeung
Department of Emergency Medicine, Royal Perth Hospital, University of Western Australia, Perth, WA
Med J Aust 181:703-5. 2004..The authors now use 10 ampoules as an initial dose in severe brown snake envenoming...
- Pre-school child oral health in rural Western AustraliaE Kruger
The Centre for Rural and Remote Oral Health, The University of Western Australia, Crawley
Aust Dent J 50:258-62. 2005..This study aimed to assess caries experience, dental health behaviour and dental service utilization among a sample of pre-school children in a rural community in Western Australia.
- C-reactive protein and interleukin-18 levels in relation to coronary heart disease: prospective cohort study from Busselton Western AustraliaJoseph Hung
School of Medicine and Pharmacology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital Unit, University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
Heart Lung Circ 17:90-5. 2008..We investigated the relationship between C-reactive protein (CRP) and interleukin-18 (IL-18) levels and risk of CHD in men and women without initial cardiovascular disease...
- Ovarian cancer in Western Australia (1982-1998): trends in surgical intervention and relative survivalCrystal L Laurvick
Centre for Health Services Research, School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
Gynecol Oncol 88:141-8. 2003We aimed to review the utilisation and trends in surgical procedures for the primary management of ovarian cancer and the survival outcomes of patients surgically treated in Western Australia.
- Gastrointestinal parasites of domestic cats in Perth, Western AustraliaT R McGlade
Division of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, Murdoch, South Street, Murdoc, Perth, WA 6150, Australia
Vet Parasitol 117:251-62. 2003..The majority (64.5%) of cat owners were aware that feline parasites could be transmitted to humans, however less than half (42.8%) were aware of the modes of transmission to humans...
- Epizootic activity of Murray Valley encephalitis and Kunjin viruses in an aboriginal community in the southeast Kimberley region of Western Australia: results of mosquito fauna and virus isolation studiesAnnette K Broom
Arbovirus Surveillance and Research Laboratory, Department of Microbiology, The University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Western Australia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 69:277-83. 2003..annual surveys of flavivirus activity in the community of Billiluna in the southeast Kimberley region of Western Australia between 1989 and 2001 [corrected]...
- Breast cancer in Western Australia: clinical practice and clinical guidelinesSuzanne P McEvoy
School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Perth, WA, Australia
Med J Aust 181:305-9. 2004OBJECTIVES: To review changes in patterns of care for women with early invasive breast cancer in Western Australia from 1989 to 1999, and compare management with recommendations in the 1995 National Health and Medical Research Council ..
- Rural-urban differences in the presentation, management and survival of breast cancer in Western AustraliaK J Mitchell
School of Population Health, M431, University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Hwy, Crawley, Western Australia 6009, Australia
Breast 15:769-76. 2006From all women diagnosed with invasive breast cancer in 1999 in Western Australia, rural and urban women were compared with regard to mode of detection, tumour characteristics at presentation, diagnostic investigations, treatment and ..
- Findings on potential teratogens from a case-control study in Western AustraliaMartha M Werler
Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, Subiaco, Western Australia, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 43:443-7. 2003..To examine, in Western Australian women, pregnancy use of drugs that have been found to be associated with birth defect risks in other studies...
- Rapidly increasing prevalence of eosinophilic oesophagitis in Western AustraliaS Cherian
Department of Histopathology, PathWest Laboratory Medicine KEMH PMH, Perth, Australia
Arch Dis Child 91:1000-4. 2006..To assess the prevalence of eosinophilic oesophagitis in a tertiary paediatric gastroenterology clinic population...
- Investigation of the southern limits of Murray Valley encephalitis activity in Western Australia during the 2000 wet seasonAnnette K Broom
Arbovirus Surveillance and Research Laboratory, Department of Microbiology, University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 2:87-95. 2002b>Western Australia experienced its worst-ever outbreak of the mosquito-borne Murray Valley encephalitis (MVE) virus during the 2000 wet season...
- Pathology reporting of breast cancer: trends in 1989-1999, following the introduction of mammographic screening in Western AustraliaJ M Harvey
School of Surgery and Pathology, University of Western Australia UWA and PathCentre, Nedlands, WA, Australia
Pathology 37:341-6. 2005A survey of pathology reporting of breast cancer in Western Australia in 1989 highlighted the need for improvement...
- Inequalities in breast cancer reconstructive surgery according to social and locational status in Western AustraliaS E Hall
School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, 6009, Crawley, WA, Australia
Eur J Surg Oncol 29:519-25. 2003To study the effects of demographic, locational and social status and the possession of private health insurance in Western Australia on the likelihood of women receiving breast reconstructive surgery after surgery for breast cancer.
- The invasive pest species Ciona intestinalis (Linnaeus, 1767) reported in a harbour in southern Western AustraliaJ McDonald
School of Plant Biology, University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, Western Australia 6009, Australia
Mar Pollut Bull 49:868-70. 2004
- Two possible mechanisms for survival and initiation of Murray Valley encephalitis virus activity in the Kimberley region of Western AustraliaA K Broom
Department of Microbiology, University of Western Australia, Queen Elizabeth II Medical Centre, Nedlands
Am J Trop Med Hyg 53:95-9. 1995..tremulus. Both mechanisms are discussed with respect to environmental conditions...
- A seven-year retrospective analysis of students entering medicine via a Rural Student Recruitment program in Western AustraliaAshleigh Emery
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Science, The University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 17:316-20. 2009..was an initiative to address the low number of rural students enrolled in medicine at the University of Western Australia. RSR identifies students throughout rural and remote areas of Australia interested in pursuing a career in ..
- High prevalence Giardia duodenalis assemblage B and potentially zoonotic subtypes in sporadic human cases in Western AustraliaRongchang Yang
Division of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, Murdoch, WA 6150, Australia
Int J Parasitol 40:293-7. 2010..Fecal samples from sporadic human clinical cases of giardiasis in Western Australia were analysed at two loci; 18S rRNA and glutamate dehydrogenase (gdh), and G...
- Medical record linkage in Australia: this is as good as it getsGraham G Giles
Cancer Council Victoria, Melbourne, Australia
ANZ J Surg 75:259. 2005
- Invasive species can't cover their tracks: using microsatellites to assist management of starling (Sturnus vulgaris) populations in Western AustraliaLee Ann Rollins
Evolution and Ecology Research Centre, School of Biological Earth and Environmental Science, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
Mol Ecol 18:1560-73. 2009..One population consisted of all sampling sites from the expansion front in Western Australia, where control efforts are focused...
- An inclusive approach to raising standards in general practice: working with a 'community of practice' in Western AustraliaMoyez Jiwa
Western Australian Centre for Cancer and Palliative Care, Curtin Health Innovation Research Institute, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
BMC Med Res Methodol 9:13. 2009..There is evidence to suggest that the information relayed to specialists at the time of referral could be improved...
- Diversity and abundance of photosynthetic sponges in temperate Western AustraliaMarie Louise Lemloh
Abteilung Zoologie, Biologisches Institut, Universitat Stuttgart, Pfaffenwaldring 57, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
BMC Ecol 9:4. 2009..The aim of this study was to compare the percentages of photosynthetic sponges in temperate Western Australia (WA) with previously published data on tropical regions, and to determine the abundance and diversity of ..
- The relationship between remoteness and trauma deaths in Western AustraliaDaniel M Fatovich
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Western Australia, Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
J Trauma 67:910-4. 2009Mortality from trauma in rural areas is increased compared with the urban environment. We aimed to describe the relationship between trauma deaths and various categories of remoteness in rural areas, in Western Australia (WA).
- [Identification and mortality of Italian emigrants returning to Italy after having worked in the crocidolite mines at Wittenoon Gorge, Western Australia]E Merler
Unitá Operativa di Epidemiologia, Centro per lo Studio e la Prevenzione Oncologica, Azienda Ospedaliera di Careggi, Firenze, Italia
Epidemiol Prev 24:255-61. 2000The crocidolite mine at Wittenoom Gorge, Western Australia, has been active from 1943 to 1966, and managed by Australian Blue Asbestos Ltd (ABA). Migrants constituted the large majority of workers...
- A clinicopathologic review of lethal nonmelanoma skin cancers in Western AustraliaRichard C Nolan
Department of Anatomical Pathology, Nedlands and Fremantle
J Am Acad Dermatol 52:101-8. 2005..Three squamous cell carcinomas were reclassified as adenosquamous carcinoma. CONCLUSION: Lethal NMSC occurs in the elderly and consists mainly of 3 types of deeply invasive cancers...
- Effectiveness of the black spot programs in Western AustraliaLynn B Meuleners
School of Public Health, Curtin University of Technology, WA, Australia
Accid Anal Prev 40:1211-6. 2008This study evaluates the effectiveness of the Black Spot Programs in Western Australia. Reduction in crash rate at the treated locations and the economic benefits of these treatments were assessed...
- Increasing 'active prevalence' of cancer in Western Australia and its implications for health servicesKate J Brameld
Centre for Health Services Research, Department of Public Health, The University of Western Australia, Crawley
Aust N Z J Public Health 26:164-9. 2002To measure the active and total prevalence of cancer in Western Australia from 1990-98 and to examine trends in utilisation of hospital services by prevalent cancer patients.
- Population genetics of commercial and feral honey bees in Western AustraliaNadine C Chapman
School of Biological Sciences A12, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
J Econ Entomol 101:272-7. 2008..diseases in the eastern states, the borders of the state of Western Australia were closed to the import of bees for breeding and other purposes > 25 yr ago...
- Current value of historical and ongoing surveillance for disease freedom: surveillance for bovine Johne's disease in Western AustraliaP A J Martin
Department of Agriculture and Food, PO Box 1231, Bunbury, Western Australia 6231, Australia
Prev Vet Med 84:291-309. 2008..In the state of Western Australia (WA) the main surveillance evidence supporting Free Zone status in the national bovine Johne's disease (BJD) ..
- Cancer incidence among women and girls environmentally and occupationally exposed to blue asbestos at Wittenoom, Western AustraliaAlison Reid
Occupational Respiratory Epidemiology, School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Crawley, WA, Australia
Int J Cancer 122:2337-44. 2008..Forty years after the asbestos mine and mill at Wittenoom were closed, there is a high toll from cancer among the former female residents of the town and company workers...
- Leaf water relations during summer water deficit: differential responses in turgor maintenance and variation in leaf structure among different plant communities in south-western AustraliaPatrick J Mitchell
School of Plant Biology, The University of Western Australia and Cooperative Research Centre for Plant Based Management of Dryland Salinity, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
Plant Cell Environ 31:1791-802. 2008..These correlations suggest that leaf structure is a prerequisite for cellular mechanisms to be effective in adjusting to water deficit...
- Radiographic interpretation and treatment decisions among dental therapists and dentists in Western AustraliaP J Riordan
Health Department of Western Australia, Perth
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 19:268-71. 1991All dentists and dental therapists employed in the Community Dental Services in Western Australia were invited to participate in a questionnaire study to find out about their use of radiographs and opinions and knowledge about the ..
- Access block causes emergency department overcrowding and ambulance diversion in Perth, Western AustraliaD M Fatovich
University of Western Australia, Australia
Emerg Med J 22:351-4. 2005..We systematically evaluated the relationship between access block, ED overcrowding, ambulance diversion, and ED activity...
- Adolescent quality of life: a school-based cohort study in Western AustraliaLynn B Meuleners
School of Public Health, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, WA, Australia
Pediatr Int 45:706-11. 2003..is a school-based longitudinal study which aims to investigate the factors affecting QOL of adolescents in Western Australia over a 6-month period...
- Men's health promotion by general practitioners in a workplace settingSamar Aoun
Western Australia Centre for Rural Health and Community Development, Bunbury, Western Australia
Aust J Rural Health 10:268-72. 2002..education and screening was undertaken throughout rural industries in 1999/2000 in the south-west of Western Australia. Five hundred and twenty-five men aged 40-65 years participated from 27 industries...
- Unequal access to breast-conserving surgery in Western Australia 1982-2000Sonja E Hall
School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Crawley, Western Australia, Australia
ANZ J Surg 74:413-9. 2004..the effects of demographic, locational and social disadvantage and the possession of private health insurance in Western Australia on the likelihood of women with breast cancer receiving breast-conserving surgery rather than mastectomy.
- Fragility and crash over-representation among older drivers in Western AustraliaLynn B Meuleners
School of Public Health, Curtin University of Technology, GPO Box U 1987, Perth, WA 6845, Australia
Accid Anal Prev 38:1006-10. 2006..contribution of fragility and crash over-representation to serious injuries per crash-involved driver in Western Australia. Police-reported crashes for the period 1998-2003 were extracted from the Western Australian Road Injury ..
- Rickettsia felis in fleas, Western AustraliaDrew Schloderer
Veterinary and Biomedical Science, Murdoch University, South Str, Murdoch, Perth, WA 6150, Australia
Emerg Infect Dis 12:841-3. 2006..The organism was identified from 4 species of fleas obtained from dogs and cats in Western Australia, by using polymerase chain reaction amplification and DNA sequencing of the citrate synthase and outer ..
- Fulfilling prophecy? Sexually transmitted infections and HIV in Indigenous people in Western AustraliaMichael R Wright
Communicable Disease Control Directorate, PO Box 8172, Stirling Street, Perth, WA 6849
Med J Aust 183:124-8. 2005To compare trends and rates of HIV and sexually transmitted infections in Indigenous and non-Indigenous people of Western Australia.
- Community attitudes towards performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation in Western AustraliaG A Jelinek
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Western Australia, Hospital Avenue, Western Australia 6009, Nedlands, Australia
Resuscitation 51:239-46. 2001..to determine the attitudes of the Western Australian community towards performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and the factors affecting these attitudes...
- Supporting an emerging workforce: characteristics of rural and remote therapy assistants in Western AustraliaIvan Lin
Combined Universities Centre for Rural Health, Geraldton, Western Australia, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 15:334-9. 2007..As an aid to planning and support of TA programs in rural and remote Western Australia (WA), the number, locality and a range of practice variables of rural and remote TAs in WA were determined.
- Life expectancy among people with cerebral palsy in Western AustraliaE Blair
TVW Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Dev Med Child Neurol 43:508-15. 2001..This may be the result of improved neonatal care enabling the survival of infants with increasingly severe disabilities...
- Comparison of Acute Physiology and Chronic Health Evaluation (APACHE) II score with organ failure scores to predict hospital mortalityK M Ho
Department of Intensive Care, Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, WA 6000, Australia
Anaesthesia 62:466-73. 2007..total of 1311 consecutive adult patients in a tertiary 22-bed multidisciplinary intensive care unit (ICU) in Western Australia were considered...
- Adverse drug reactions in older Australians, 1981-2002Christel L Burgess
School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Perth, WA 6009, Australia
Med J Aust 182:267-70. 2005..The sharp increase in ADRs from anticoagulants warrants attention to revised clinical guidelines...
- Asbestos-related disease from recycled hessian superphosphate bags in rural Western AustraliaArthur W Musk
School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Crawley
Aust N Z J Public Health 30:312-3. 2006..IMPLICATIONS: The risk of developing an asbestos-related disease is not restricted to any specific social or employment groups within the Australian community...
- What is the impact of missing Indigenous status on mortality estimates? An assessment using record linkage in Western AustraliaGlenn K Draper
Epidemiology Branch, Department of Health, Western Australia
Aust N Z J Public Health 33:325-31. 2009..The analysis aimed to assess the Indigenous status of an increasing number of deaths not coded with a useable Indigenous status from 1997 to 2002 and its impact on reported recent gains in Indigenous mortality...
- Fine-scale comparative phylogeography of a sympatric sister species triplet of subterranean diving beetles from a single calcrete aquifer in Western AustraliaM T Guzik
Australian Centre for Evolutionary Biology and Biodiversity, School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
Mol Ecol 18:3683-98. 2009Calcrete aquifers in the arid Yilgarn region of central Western Australia are a biodiversity hotspot for stygofauna...
- Benefits of swimming pools in two remote Aboriginal communities in Western Australia: intervention studyDeborah Lehmann
Centre for Child Health Research, University of Western Australia, Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, PO Box 855, West Perth, WA 6872, Australia
BMJ 327:415-9. 2003..To determine the health impact of swimming pools built with the aim of improving quality of life and reducing high rates of pyoderma and otitis media...
- Understanding, beliefs and perspectives of Aboriginal people in Western Australia about cancer and its impact on access to cancer servicesShaouli Shahid
Centre for International Health, Curtin University of Technology, Perth WA 6845, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 9:132. 2009..This research explored Western Australian (WA) Aboriginal peoples' perceptions, beliefs and understanding of cancer...
- Molecular diversity of rumen methanogens from sheep in Western AustraliaAndre Denis G Wright
CSIRO Livestock Industries, Centre for Environment and Life Sciences, Wembley, Western Australia 6913, Australia
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:1263-70. 2004..These unique sequences appear to represent a novel group of rumen archaea that are atypical for the rumen environment...
- Factors associated with dental admissions for children aged under 5 years in Western AustraliaL Slack-Smith
School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, Western Australia, Australia
Arch Dis Child 94:517-23. 2009..There is limited literature describing dental admissions in preschool children. This paper describes dental hospital admissions and associated factors in children aged under 5 years...
- Health-related behaviours as predictors of mortality and morbidity in Australian AboriginesV Burke
University of Western Australia School of Medicine and Pharmacology, Royal Perth Hospital Unit, Box X2213 GPO, Perth 6847, Australia
Prev Med 44:135-42. 2007..To examine predictors of coronary heart disease (CHD) and all-cause mortality in Aboriginal Australians...
- Point-of-care testing of capillary glucose in the exclusion and diagnosis of diabetes in remote AustraliaJulia V Marley
The Rural Clinical School of Western Australia, The University of Western Australia, Broome, WA, Australia
Med J Aust 186:500-3. 2007..To determine the utility of point-of-care (POC) capillary blood glucose measurements in the diagnosis and exclusion of diabetes in usual practice in primary health care in remote areas...
- Television, computer use, physical activity, diet and fatness in Australian adolescentsValerie Burke
University of Western Australia, School of Medicine and Pharmacology, Royal Perth Hospital Unit
Int J Pediatr Obes 1:248-55. 2006..To examine sedentary behaviours (including television viewing, playing computer games and computer use), diet, exercise and fitness in relation to overweight/obesity in Australian adolescents...
- Alcohol intake and incidence of coronary disease in Australian aboriginesV Burke
University of Western Australia, School of Medicine and Pharmacology, Royal Perth Hospital Unit, Box X2213 GPO, Perth 6847, Australia
Alcohol Alcohol 42:49-54. 2007..To examine risk for coronary heart disease (CHD) and cardiovascular disease (CVD) in relation to alcohol in a cohort of Australian Aborigines...
- Alcohol intake and incidence of coronary disease in Australian aboriginesV Burke
School of Medicine and Pharmacology, Royal Perth Hospital Unit, Perth, Australia
Alcohol Alcohol 42:119-24. 2007..To examine risk for coronary heart disease (CHD) and cardiovascular disease (CVD) in relation to alcohol in a cohort of Australian Aborigines...
- The impact of driver distraction on road safety: results from a representative survey in two Australian statesS P McEvoy
The George Institute for International Health, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Inj Prev 12:242-7. 2006..To quantify the prevalence and effects of distracting activities while driving...
- Characteristics and outcome of type 2 diabetes in urban Aboriginal people: the Fremantle Diabetes StudyT M E Davis
School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, Fremantle Hospital, Western Australia, Australia
Intern Med J 37:59-63. 2007..The Aboriginal patients died 18 years or younger than their Anglo-Celt counterparts. Specialized, culturally-sensitive and sustainable programmes are urgently needed to improve the management of diabetes in urban Aboriginal communities...
- At-risk children: a demographic analysis of the children of clients attending mental health community clinicsKathy Ahern
School of Social Science, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Int J Ment Health Nurs 12:223-8. 2003..the demographic characteristics of dependent children of adults presenting at mental health clinics in Western Australia. A survey of clients who attended the clinics indicated that half reported having had children...
- Oral health in rural and remote Western Australian indigenous communities: a two-year retrospective analysis of 999 peopleK Smith
The Centre for Rural and Remote Oral Health, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, Australia
Int Dent J 57:93-9. 2007..This study examines the oral health status and oral health behaviours of Aboriginal people attending rural and remote dental clinics...
- Male erectile dysfunction: its prevalence in Western australia and associated sociodemographic factorsKew Kim Chew
Keogh Institute for Medical Research, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
J Sex Med 5:60-9. 2008This is a report of a population-based cross-sectional observational study in Western Australia (WA) on male erectile dysfunction (ED).
- An Aboriginal-driven program to prevent, control and manage nutrition-related "lifestyle" diseases including diabetesMichael Gracey
Unity of First People of Australia, Perth, Western Australia
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 15:178-88. 2006..management and care program was introduced in four remote, discrete communities in the far north of Western Australia (WA) in order to attempt to prevent these disorders through community-based lifestyle modification...
- Subclinical thyroid dysfunction as a risk factor for cardiovascular diseaseJohn P Walsh
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
Arch Intern Med 165:2467-72. 2005..There have been few large epidemiological studies examining the association between thyroid dysfunction and cardiovascular disease. In particular, it is uncertain if subclinical hypothyroidism is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease...
- Determinants of carotid intima-medial thickness in an urban Australian Aboriginal populationPamela J Bradshaw
School of Population Health University of Western Australia, Nedlands, WA 6009, Australia
Atherosclerosis 192:218-23. 2007..We studied the determinants of carotid atherosclerosis in urban-dwelling Australian Aboriginals at high risk of atherosclerotic mortality and morbidity...
- Patient views on the management of rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease in the Kimberley: a qualitative studyChristine M Mincham
School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 11:260-5. 2003..CONCLUSIONS: Participants focused on issues closely related to effective and ineffective management of RF/RHD. The lessons learned are indicators for health staff attempting to improve the quality of management that people receive...
- Rural general practitioner experience of work-related violence in australiaHelen Tolhurst
Discipline of General Practice, School of Medical Practice and Population Health, Faculty of Health, University of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 11:231-6. 2003..METHOD: Six focus groups were held with GPs from rural Western Australia and from two rural Divisions of General Practice in New South Wales and Victoria...
- Screening for diabetic retinopathy in remote Australia: a program description and evaluation of a devolved modelDonna B Mak
Kimberley Public Health Unit, Derby, Western Australia, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 11:224-30. 2003..To describe the diabetic retinopathy screening program operating in the Kimberley and evaluate recruitment into and the quality and timeliness of, the screening procedure...
- Prevalence of intellectual disability in Western AustraliaHelen Leonard
Centre for Child Health Research, The University of Western Australia, Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, Western Australia
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 17:58-67. 2003Record linkage of multiple sources was used to ascertain children with intellectual disability born in Western Australia between 1983 and 1992. The prevalence was 14.3 per 1000, 10.6 per 1000 for children with mild or moderate and 1...
- Prevalence of peripheral arterial disease: persistence of excess risk in former smokersBess Fowler
Department of Public Health, University of Western Australia, Crawley
Aust N Z J Public Health 26:219-24. 2002..To determine the age-standardised prevalence of peripheral arterial disease (PAD) and associated risk factors, particularly smoking...
- Respiratory morbidity and lung function in two Aboriginal communities in Western AustraliaMarieke W Verheijden
Department of Public Health, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Respirology 7:247-53. 2002..communities, one from the central desert (n = 84) and another from the tropical north (n = 209) of Western Australia. RESULTS: Compared with the tropical community, chest tightness and dyspnoea were more frequent and forced ..
- So far and yet so close: quality of management of diabetes in Australian and Canadian Indigenous communitiesDonna B Mak
Kimberley Public Health Unit, Derby, Western Australia, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 12:206-9. 2004..To compare quality of clinical management of Indigenous people with diabetes in remote areas of Australia and Canada...
- Prevalence of Helicobacter pylori in Indigenous Western Australians: comparison between urban and remote rural populationsHelen M Windsor
NHMRC Helicobacter Research Laboratory, Microbiology, University of Western Australia, Perth, WA 6009, Australia
Med J Aust 182:210-3. 2005..CONCLUSIONS: The prevalence of H. pylori in the two Indigenous communities was two to three times higher than that in the non-Indigenous Australian population and higher than that shown in previous studies in Indigenous Australians...
- Invasive pneumococcal disease in the Kimberley, 1995-2001Donna B Mak
School of Public Health, The University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Western Australia 6009, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 12:237-40. 2004..To describe the epidemiology of invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD) in the Kimberley and examine whether cases could have been prevented by vaccination...
- The prevalence of aspirin intolerant asthma (AIA) in Australian asthmatic patientsH Vally
Asthma and Allergy Research Institute Inc, and the Cooperative Research Centre for Asthma, University of Western Australia, Pert, Australia
Thorax 57:569-74. 2002..The prevalence of AIA among Australian asthmatic patients has not previously been reported...
- The contribution of passengers versus mobile phone use to motor vehicle crashes resulting in hospital attendance by the driverSuzanne P McEvoy
The George Institute for International Health, The University of Sydney, PO Box M201 Missenden Road, Sydney, New South Wales 2050, Australia
Accid Anal Prev 39:1170-6. 2007..A case-control study ('passenger study') was performed in Perth, Western Australia in 2003 and 2004...
- The effects of socioeconomic status, accessibility to services and patient type on hospital use in Western Australia: a retrospective cohort study of patients with homogenous health statusRachael E Moorin
Australian Centre for Economic Research on Health ACERH, School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 6:74. 2006....
- Factors associated with the initiation of breast-feeding by Aboriginal mothers in PerthC Binns
School of Public Health, Curtin University of Technology, Western Australia, Australia
Public Health Nutr 7:857-61. 2004..To identify the prevalence of breast-feeding at discharge and the determinants of breast-feeding initiation amongst Aboriginal women...
- DNA Variants and AAA DiseasePhilip S Tsao; Fiscal Year: 2010..well as in a complementary cohort of equally well-phenotyped AAA patients and controls- participants of the Western Australia Screening Study (WASS)...
- 4th Western Pacific Helicobacter CongressBarry Marshall; Fiscal Year: 2002..LOCATION: The Congress will be held at the Sheraton Perth Hotel, Perth, Western Australia. TYPES OF PARTICIPANTS: Gastroenterologist-physician and surgeon, Research Scientist, Postdoctoral ..
- CHILDRENS CANCER GROUP--COMPETITIVE GRANT RENEWALDavid Baker; Fiscal Year: 2002..for Children (PMH) is the sole tertiary university affiliated paediatric teaching hospital for the State of Western Australia and provides the only multidisciplinary paediatric oncology service in the state, which has a population of ..
- Tobacco Control in S.Africa: Prevention and Capacity Bu*Ken Resnicow; Fiscal Year: 2006..other on a Harm Minimization model (KEEP LEFT), developed by the principal investigator with colleagues from Western Australia. Approximately 36 Schools will be randomly assigned to one of three experimental groups...
- International Society Environmental Epidemiology 2003Irva Hertz Picciotto; Fiscal Year: 2003..of the International Society for Environmental Epidemiology (ISEE) will be held at the Hyatt Hotel in Perth, Western Australia, on the 24-26 September 2003...
- FAILURE TIME METHODS FOR FAMILY DISEASE STUDIESDavid Glidden; Fiscal Year: 2003..Method (3) will be applied to a family study of coronary heart disease in Western Australia. Well-documented, user-friendly programs will be developed and made publicly available.
- Rett syndrome: determinants of outcome and burdenHelen Leonard; Fiscal Year: 2007..Feedback to families on study progress will be given through the study Web site. ..
- BURPPE:BU Reproductive, Perinatal, and Pediatric Epidemiology Training ProgramMartha Werler; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Dietary Glycemic Load, Obesity, and Birth Defect RisksMartha Werler; Fiscal Year: 2007....