Genomes and Genes
Summary: A state in southeastern Australia, the southernmost state. Its capital is Melbourne. It was discovered in 1770 by Captain Cook and first settled by immigrants from Tasmania. In 1851 it was separated from New South Wales as a separate colony. Self-government was introduced in 1851; it became a state in 1901. It was named for Queen Victoria in 1851. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p1295 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, p574)
Publications254 found, 100 shown here
- Assessment of patient pain in the postoperative contextElizabeth Manias
School of Nursing, University of Melbourne
West J Nurs Res 26:751-69. 2004..The study identified how nurses' prioritization of work demands created barriers in conducting timely and comprehensive pain assessment decisions...
- Promoting evidence-based care through a clinical research fellowship programmeDonna J Milne
Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre and School of Nursing, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Clin Nurs 16:1629-39. 2007....
- The Assessment of Quality of Life (AQoL) instrument: a psychometric measure of health-related quality of lifeG Hawthorne
Department of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Melbourne, Australia
Qual Life Res 8:209-24. 1999..Scaling it for economic evaluation using utilities is being undertaken. Respondents have indicated the AQoL is easy to understand and is quickly completed. Its initial properties suggest it may be widely applicable...
- A statewide system of trauma care in Victoria: effect on patient survivalPeter A Cameron
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 189:546-50. 2008To determine whether the statewide system of trauma care introduced in 2000 has resulted in improved survival for all major trauma patients in Victoria.
- Epidemiology of primary biliary cirrhosis in Victoria, Australia: high prevalence in migrant populationsSiddharth Sood
Department of Gastroenterology, Austin Hospital, Victoria, Australia
Gastroenterology 127:470-5. 2004..METHODS: Thorough case-finding methods were used to identify all cases of PBC in Victoria, Australia. Age-adjusted prevalence rates among different migrant groups were examined...
- 2009 H1N1 influenza A and pregnancy outcomes in Victoria, AustraliaSaliya Hewagama
Monash Medical Centre, Melbourne, Australia
Clin Infect Dis 50:686-90. 2010..Pregnant women have been identified as a group at risk of increased morbidity and mortality associated with the pandemic H1N1 influenza A 2009 (H1N1/09) outbreak...
- Head lice prevalence in primary schools in Victoria, AustraliaM Counahan
Communicable Diseases Section, Department of Human Services, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 40:616-9. 2004To determine the prevalence of and assess risk factors associated with head lice infections (pediculosis) in children from government primary schools in Victoria, Australia.
- Laboratory diagnosis and surveillance of human respiratory viruses by PCR in Victoria, Australia, 2002-2003Julian Druce
Virology Department, Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory, 10 Wreckyn Street, North Melbourne 3051, Victoria, Australia
J Med Virol 75:122-9. 2005..identified by the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) in more than 4,200 specimens collected during 2002 and 2003 in Victoria, Australia from patients admitted to hospitals or participating in an influenza surveillance program...
- Impact of pandemic (H1N1) 2009 influenza on critical care capacity in VictoriaMartin E Lum
State Government of Victoria, Department of Health, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 191:502-6. 2009To describe the demand for critical care hospital admissions in Victoria resulting from the rapid rise in the number of pandemic (H1N1) 2009 influenza cases, and to describe the role of modelling tools to assist with the response to the ..
- Variations in hospitalizations for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in rural and urban Victoria, AustraliaZahid Ansari
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Respirology 12:874-80. 2007..Effective and timely management of COPD should reduce the risk of hospitalization. The purpose of this study was to describe variations in COPD hospital admission rates as an indicator of the adequacy of primary care services...
- Respiratory function at age 8-9 years in extremely low birthweight/very preterm children born in Victoria in 1991-1992Lex W Doyle
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Pediatr Pulmonol 41:570-6. 2006..consecutive survivors with either birth weight < 1,000 g or gestational age < 28 weeks born in the state of Victoria during 1991-1992. Controls comprised 262 randomly selected NBW survivors...
- High proportion of influenza B characterises the 2008 influenza season in VictoriaKristina A Grant
Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory, Melbourne, Victoria
Commun Dis Intell 33:328-36. 2009The 2008 influenza season in Victoria was distinctive because of the increased proportion of influenza-like illness (ILI) cases due to influenza B infection and the lateness of the season compared with preceding years...
- The effect of smoke-free policies on electronic gaming machine expenditure in Victoria, AustraliaA Lal
VicHealth Centre for Tobacco Control, The Cancer Council Victoria, Carlton, Victoria, Australia
J Epidemiol Community Health 62:11-5. 2008..To examine the impact of smoke-free policies in Victorian gambling venues on electronic gaming machine (EGM) expenditure...
- Measuring the impact of intimate partner violence on the health of women in Victoria, AustraliaT Vos
School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Herston Road, Herston, QLD 4006, Brisbane, Australia
Bull World Health Organ 84:739-44. 2006Using burden of disease methodology, estimate the health risks of intimate partner violence (IPV) among women in Victoria, Australia.
- Epidemiology of sepsis in Victoria, AustraliaVijaya Sundararajan
Victorian Department of Human Services, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Crit Care Med 33:71-80. 2005..To determine the clinical and epidemiologic characteristics of patients with sepsis admitted to hospitals in Victoria, Australia, including the incidence of sepsis and severe sepsis, utilization of intensive care unit (ICU) ..
- Having a baby in Victoria 1989-2000: continuity and change in the decade following the Victorian Ministerial Review of Birthing ServicesStephanie Brown
Centre for the Study of Mothers and Children s Health, School of Public Health, La Trobe University, Carlton, Victoria
Aust N Z J Public Health 26:242-50. 2002To investigate changing patterns in the provision of maternity care in Victoria based on data collected in three statewide surveys conducted in 1989, 1994 and 2000.
- Parental knowledge, beliefs and behaviours for oral health of toddlers residing in rural VictoriaM G Gussy
School of Dental Science, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, The University of Melbourne, Carlton, Victoria
Aust Dent J 53:52-60. 2008..The aim of this study was to examine the oral health-related knowledge, attitudes and reported behaviours of parents of children aged 12-24 months living in rural areas of Victoria, Australia.
- Molecular and epidemiological features of GIIb norovirus outbreaks in Victoria, Australia, 2002-2005L D Bruggink
Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory, North Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Med Virol 81:1652-60. 2009..poorly understood and this study examined these questions using norovirus-associated gastroenteritis outbreaks in Victoria, Australia, during 2002-2005...
- Out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in Victoria: rural and urban outcomesPaul A Jennings
Rural Ambulance Victoria, Geelong, Victoria
Med J Aust 185:135-9. 2006To compare the survival rate from out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in rural and urban areas of Victoria, and to investigate the factors associated with these differences.
- Recent trends in risky alcohol consumption and related harm among young people in Victoria, AustraliaMichael Livingston
AER Centre for Alcohol Policy Research, Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Aust N Z J Public Health 32:266-71. 2008To examine recent trends in the proportion of young people who drink at risky levels and the rate of alcohol-related harms experienced by young people in Victoria, Australia.
- Prevalence of health promotion policies in sports clubs in Victoria, AustraliaSuzanne Jane Dobbinson
Centre for Behavioural Research in Cancer, The Cancer Council Victoria, Melbourne, Australia
Health Promot Int 21:121-9. 2006..Communication between associations and clubs needs to be monitored by health agencies to ensure support and resources for policy development to reach the club level...
- The profile of health problems in African immigrants attending an infectious disease unit in Melbourne, AustraliaKatherine B Gibney
Victorian Infectious Diseases Service, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria, Australia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:805-11. 2009..Clinicians need to be aware of these conditions to meet the health needs of this group. Comprehensive health checks should be encouraged for new arrivals, particularly from high-risk areas...
- Molecular and epidemiological features of norovirus-associated gastroenteritis outbreaks in Victoria, Australia in 2001John A Marshall
Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory, North Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Med Virol 75:321-31. 2005Norovirus was identified in 30 of 59 gastroenteritis outbreaks occurring in the state of Victoria, Australia in 2001 by RT-PCR and/or electron microscopy (EM)...
- The predictors and consequences of adolescent amphetamine use: findings from the Victoria Adolescent Health Cohort StudyLouisa Degenhardt
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Addiction 102:1076-84. 2007..However, little is known about the predictors and effects of early-onset amphetamine use. We set out to examine these issues using a representative cohort of young people followed-up over 11 years in Victoria, Australia.
- An epidemiologic study of orofacial clefts with other birth defects in Victoria, AustraliaLinda D Vallino-Napoli
Craniofacial Outcomes Research Laboratory, Alfred I duPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington, Delaware 19899, USA
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 43:571-6. 2006To describe the epidemiological characteristics of oral clefts occurring with other birth defects in Victoria, Australia.
- Newborn circumcision in Victoria, Australia: reasons and parental attitudesBo Xu
St Vincent s Hospital Melbourne, Fitzroy, Vic, Australia
ANZ J Surg 78:1019-22. 2008..of this study was to study the reasons why some parents continue to seek professional circumcision service for their newborn boys in Victoria, Australia, their attitudes towards newborn circumcision and their personal characteristics.
- Attendance rates and outcomes of cardiac rehabilitation in Victoria, 1998Vijaya Sundararajan
Department of Human Services, L18 120 Spencer St, Melbourne, VIC 3000, Australia
Med J Aust 180:268-71. 2004To describe the patterns of use of cardiac rehabilitation in Victoria and to assess whether the survival benefits predicted in clinical trials have been realised in the community.
- Road traffic fatalities in Victoria, Australia and changes to the trauma care systemF T McDermott
The Consultative Committee on Road Traffic Fatalities in Victoria, Southbank, Victoria, Australia
Br J Surg 88:1099-104. 2001The aim was to identify organizational and clinical errors in the management of road traffic fatalities and to use this information to improve Victoria's trauma care system.
- End-of-life decisions in medical practice: a survey of doctors in Victoria (Australia)D A Neil
School of English Literatures, Philosophy and Languages, Faculty of Arts, University of Wollongong, NSW 2522 Australia
J Med Ethics 33:721-5. 2007To discover the current state of opinion and practice among doctors in Victoria, Australia, regarding end-of-life decisions and the legalisation of voluntary euthanasia. Longitudinal comparison with similar 1987 and 1993 studies.
- Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in Victoria: a 10-year reviewCaroline J Lavender
Mycobacterium Reference Laboratory, Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 191:315-8. 2009To describe demographic and clinical characteristics of patients residing in Victoria who were diagnosed with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) during the period 1 January 1998 to 31 December 2007.
- Epidemiology of laboratory confirmed tuberculosis in Victoria, 1990 to 2004Michelle E McPherson
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, Acton, Australian Capital Territory
Commun Dis Intell 32:237-41. 2008..we investigated all laboratory confirmed tuberculosis cases diagnosed by the State TB reference laboratory in Victoria between 1990 and 2004...
- Influence of prenatal diagnosis and pregnancy termination of fetuses with birth defects on the perinatal mortality rate in Victoria, AustraliaNatasha Davidson
Victorian Public Health Training Scheme, Department of Human Services, Victoria, Australia
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 19:50-5. 2005Historical data show that in Victoria birth defects have accounted for approximately 25% of all perinatal deaths...
- Toxocara canis: egg presence in Melbourne parks and disease incidence in VictoriaSusan M Carden
Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital, Department of Pediatrics, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 31:143-6. 2003Toxocara canis can cause blinding eye disease. This study assessed the presence of T. canis eggs in soil from parks in Melbourne and also the incidence of presumed ocular toxocariasis in Victoria.
- Animal and human bite injuries in Victoria, 1998-2004Catherine E MacBean
Emergency Department, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 186:38-40. 2007To describe the epidemiology of mammal (human and non-human) bite injuries in Victoria. PARTICIPANTS, DESIGN AND SETTING: Retrospective case series of injuries recorded in the Victorian Emergency Minimum Dataset (VEMD) (1998-2004) and ..
- Bicycling injuries and mortality in Victoria, 2001-2006Mirjana Sikic
Emergency Department, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 190:353-6. 2009..To investigate the incidence of bicycling injuries and bicycle injury characteristics in the Victorian population...
- Therapeutic group programme for women with postnatal depression in rural Victoria: a pilot studyElizabeth Craig
Womens Mental Health Worker, Centre for Rural Mental Health, Bendigo Health Care Group, Bendigo, Vic, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 13:291-5. 2005..RESULTS: Fourteen women completed the group programme at two sites in rural Victoria. Comparison of mean anxiety and depressive symptom scores revealed a significant reduction in scores from pre- to ..
- Bartonella-like DNA detected in Ixodes tasmani ticks (Acari: Ixodida) infesting Koalas (Phascolarctos cinereus) in Victoria, AustraliaInger Marie E Vilcins
1 Department of Biological Sciences, Division of Environmental and Life Sciences Macquarie University, North Ryde, NSW, Australia
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 9:499-503. 2009..n = 1) were collected from wild koalas (Phascolarctos cinereus) at the Koala Convention Centre, Philip Island, Victoria, Australia and screened for the presence of Bartonella using the target gene gltA...
- The impact of smoke on respiratory hospital outcomes during the 2002-2003 bushfire season, Victoria, AustraliaRachel Tham
School of Rural Health, MonashUniversity, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Respirology 14:69-75. 2009..During January to March 2003, the north-east and Alpine regions of the state of Victoria experienced major bushfires that created a blanket of smoke over the entire state for extended periods of time...
- Higher than expected seasonal influenza activity in Victoria, 2007Emma R Miller
Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory, Melbourne, Victoria
Commun Dis Intell Q Rep 32:63-70. 2008..The most common strains identified in Victoria in the 2007 influenza season were A/ Brisbane/10/2007-like followed by A/Solomon Islands/3/2006-like...
- Molecular changes associated with altered patterns of norovirus outbreak epidemics in Victoria, Australia, in 2006 to 2007Leesa D Bruggink
Gastroenteritis Section, Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory, 10 Wreckyn Street, North Melbourne, Victoria 3051, Australia
J Clin Microbiol 48:857-61. 2010..In 2006, the pattern of NoV outbreak epidemics in Victoria, Australia, changed compared to the pattern for 2002 to 2005 and 2007...
- Mental health reforms and their impact on consumer and carer participation: a perspective from Victoria, AustraliaJohn Lammers
School of Postgraduate Nursing, University of Melbourne, Carlton, Victoria, Australia
Issues Ment Health Nurs 25:261-76. 2004b>Victoria, Australia has experienced significant changes in the structure and delivery of mental health services over the past three decades...
- Cigarette smoking and interest in quitting among consumers at a Psychiatric Disability Rehabilitation and Support Service in VictoriaKristen Moeller-Saxone
Department of Public Health, The University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Aust N Z J Public Health 32:479-81. 2008..To gather information on smoking rates and interest in smoking cessation among consumers at a Psychiatric Disability Rehabilitation and Support Service (PDRSS)...
- Potential for organ donation in Victoria: an audit of hospital deathsHelen I Opdam
Department of Intensive Care, Austin Health, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 185:250-4. 2006..To determine the potential for organ donation in 12 Victorian hospitals...
- Invasive pneumococcal disease in Victoria: a better measurement of the true incidenceH J Clothier
Communicable Diseases Section, Rural and Regional Health and Aged Care Services Division, Department of Human Services, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Epidemiol Infect 136:225-31. 2008..We conducted sequential deterministic data-linkage between IPD notifications and hospitalization data in Victoria, Australia, in order to determine whether all diagnosed cases were being reported...
- Cancer in adolescents and young adults: treatment and outcome in VictoriaAnne E Mitchell
Department of Haematology and Oncology, Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 180:59-62. 2004..of treatment, recruitment to clinical trials and outcomes for adolescents and young adults treated for cancer in Victoria. DESIGN AND SETTING: Retrospective review of all adolescents and young adults aged 10-24 years diagnosed with ..
- A whole of population-based series of radical prostatectomy in Victoria, 1995 to 2000Damien Bolton
Austin Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria
Aust N Z J Public Health 33:527-33. 2009....
- The burden of mental disorders in Victoria, 1996T Vos
Public Health Division, Department of Human Services, 18 120 Spencer Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 36:53-62. 2001Between 1998 and 1999, a burden of disease assessment was carried out in Victoria, Australia applying and improving on the methods of the Global Burden of Disease Study...
- Asthma is more prevalent in rural New South Wales than metropolitan Victoria, AustraliaR K Woods
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash Medical School and Alfred Hospital, Prahran, Victoria, Australia
Respirology 5:257-63. 2000..The aim of this study was to compare the prevalence of adult respiratory symptoms and conditions in a rural setting with a metropolitan setting...
- Eye injuries in rural Victoria, AustraliaSimon Raymond
School of Population Health, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 37:698-702. 2009Eye injury causes significant morbidity and is a leading cause of blindness worldwide. This study investigates the incidence, spectrum and patterns of eye injury presenting to a rural hospital in Victoria, Australia.
- Obesity and undernutrition in sub-Saharan African immigrant and refugee children in Victoria, AustraliaAndre M N Renzaho
School of Health and Social Development, Deakin University, 221 Burwood Highway, Victoria, Australia
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 15:482-90. 2006..In conclusion, obesity and overweight are very prevalent in SSA migrant children and undernutrition, especially wasting, was also not uncommon in this target group...
- Sex workers can be screened too often: a cost-effectiveness analysis in Victoria, AustraliaDavid P Wilson
National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Sex Transm Infect 86:117-25. 2010Commercial sex is licensed in Victoria, Australia such that sex workers are required to have regular tests for sexually transmitted infections (STIs)...
- Australia's influenza containment plan and the swine flu epidemic in VictoriaM Lindsay Grayson
Infectious Diseases Department, Austin Health, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 191:150. 2009..What lessons can be learnt from Australia's initial response to the outbreak?..
- Heroin-related deaths in Victoria: a review of cases for 1997 and 1998J Gerostamoulos
Department of Forensic Medicine, Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine, Monash University, 57-83 Kavanagh St, Southbank, Vic. 3006, Australia
Drug Alcohol Depend 61:123-7. 2001The objectives of this paper were to determine the number of heroin-related deaths in Victoria for the years 1997-1998 and to detail the demography and toxicology findings, and also compare heroin death rates for this decade...
- Sudden unexpected death in epilepsy in VictoriaK Opeskin
Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine, Southbank, Australia
J Clin Neurosci 7:34-7. 2000..The purpose of this study was to examine associated factors and mechanisms relating to SUDEP in Victoria. The study was a retrospective study based on data from questionnaires completed by treating doctors and coronial ..
- The impact of immigration on the burden of HIV infection in Victoria, AustraliaDanielle Horyniak
Centre for Population Health, Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, Melbourne, VIC 3004, Australia
Sex Health 6:123-8. 2009..Case reporting of new diagnoses does not account for inwards and outwards migration of people with HIV infection, thereby providing an inaccurate basis for planning...
- Development and validation of the Beliefs and Behaviour Questionnaire (BBQ)Johnson George
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Victorian College of Pharmacy, Monash University, Parkville, Australia
Patient Educ Couns 64:50-60. 2006..PRACTICE IMPLICATIONS: The BBQ and the TABS have potential applications in screening adherence beliefs, experiences and behaviour in both clinical practice and research...
- Effects of a medical emergency team on reduction of incidence of and mortality from unexpected cardiac arrests in hospital: preliminary studyMichael D Buist
Department of Intensive Care, Dandenong Hospital, Dandenong, VIC 3175, Australia
BMJ 324:387-90. 2002..To determine whether earlier clinical intervention by a medical emergency team prompted by clinical instability in a patient could reduce the incidence of and mortality from unexpected cardiac arrest in hospital...
- Cause-specific prevalence of bilateral visual impairment in Victoria, Australia: the Visual Impairment ProjectM R VanNewkirk
Centre for Eye Research Australia, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Ophthalmology 108:960-7. 2001..The study uses a cluster stratified random sample of 4744 participants from two cohorts, urban, and rural Victoria. Participants completed a standardized interview and eye examination, including presenting and best-corrected ..
- A chlamydia prevalence survey of young women living in Melbourne, VictoriaJane S Hocking
School of Population Health, University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
Sex Health 3:235-40. 2006To estimate the population-based chlamydia prevalence among women aged 18 to 35 years living in Melbourne, Victoria, and to assess the feasibility of using mailed urine specimens to test women.
- Consensus recommendations for the diagnosis, treatment and control of Mycobacterium ulcerans infection (Bairnsdale or Buruli ulcer) in Victoria, AustraliaPaul D R Johnson
Department of Infectious Diseases, Austin Health, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Med J Aust 186:64-8. 2007..For small lesions this may be all that is required. However, there is a role for antibiotics for more extensive disease, and their use may allow more conservative surgery...
- Is mechanism of injury alone a useful predictor of major trauma?Malcolm J Boyle
Monash University, Department of Community Emergency Health and Paramedic Practice, McMahons Road, Frankston 3199, Victoria, Australia
Injury 39:986-92. 2008The Review of Trauma and Emergency Services in Victoria -1999 left unresolved the predictive value of mechanism of injury in pre-hospital trauma triage guidelines. Ethics approval was granted...
- Take the sex out of STI screening! Views of young women on implementing chlamydia screening in General PracticeNatasha L Pavlin
Department of General Practice, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
BMC Infect Dis 8:62. 2008..Australia is developing a chlamydia screening program. This study aimed to determine the attitudes of young women to the introduction of chlamydia screening in Australian General Practice...
- Coronary heart disease risk prediction by general practitioners in VictoriaAnna Peeters
Med J Aust 180:252. 2004
- Changing availability of neonatal intensive care for extremely low birthweight infants in Victoria over two decadesLex W Doyle
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Royal Women s Hospital, 132 Grattan Street, Carlton, Victoria 3053, Australia
Med J Aust 181:136-9. 2004..To determine the changes in availability of neonatal intensive care for extremely low birthweight (ELBW) infants, and the consequences of a lack of availability...
- The early postnatal period: exploring women's views, expectations and experiences of care using focus groups in Victoria, AustraliaDella A Forster
Mother and Child Health Research, La Trobe University, 324 328 Lt Lonsdale St, Melbourne, Australia
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 8:27. 2008..We aimed to gain a more in-depth understanding of women's views, expectations and experiences of early postnatal care...
- Secondhand smoke exposure and respiratory symptoms among casino, club, and office workers in Victoria, AustraliaMelanie Wakefield
Centre for Behavioural Research in Cancer, The Cancer Council Victoria, Australia
J Occup Environ Med 47:698-703. 2005..To examine the association between smoke-free policies, exposure to secondhand smoke (SHS) at work, and self-reported respiratory and sensory symptoms of workers...
- Association between dependent smoking and a polymorphism in the tyrosine hydroxylase gene in a prospective population-based study of adolescent healthCraig Olsson
Gene Discovery Laboratory, Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, Royal Children s Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Behav Genet 34:85-91. 2004..1997). The potential significance of including time to first cigarette in definitions of tobacco dependence and the possible role that these TH variants might play in tobacco dependence are discussed...
- Gestational diabetes in Victoria in 1996: incidence, risk factors and outcomesChristine A Stone
Prevention and National Health Priorities, Public Health Division, Department of Human Services, 17th Floor, 120 Spencer Street, Melbourne, VIC 3001, Australia
Med J Aust 177:486-91. 2002To describe the epidemiology of gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) in Victoria.
- A measles outbreak among young adults in Victoria, February 2001Natasha Davidson
Victorian Public Health Training Scheme, Department of Human Services, Melbourne, Australia
Commun Dis Intell Q Rep 26:273-8. 2002..This cohort was identified as being at high risk of measles infection after a previous outbreak in Victoria involving 75 cases. These individuals are now aged between 20 and 33 years...
- Increase in meningococcal disease associated with the emergence of a novel ST-11 variant of serogroup C Neisseria meningitidis in Victoria, Australia, 1999-2000D E Tribe
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Epidemiol Infect 128:7-14. 2002In the years 1999-2000, there was an increase in the incidence of meningococcal disease in Victoria, largely caused by Neisseria meningitidis serogroup C...
- Complementary medicine use among people living with HIV/AIDS in Victoria, Australia: practices, attitudes and perceptionsS L Thomas
Centre for the Study of Ethics in Medicine and Society, Monash Medical School, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Int J STD AIDS 18:453-7. 2007..Further research is needed into (a) the effects of CAMs and (b) the enhancement of communication and collaboration between patients, doctors and complementary medicine practitioners...
- Slip! Slop! Slap! and SunSmart, 1980-2000: Skin cancer control and 20 years of population-based campaigningM Montague
VicHealth Centre for Tobacco Control at the Cancer Control Research Institute, Anti Cancer Council of Victoria, Melbourne, Australia
Health Educ Behav 28:290-305. 2001The Anti-Cancer Council of Victoria has been running sun protection programs for more than 20 years: Slip! Slop! Slap! from 1980 to 1988 and SunSmart from 1988 to the present...
- Associations between alcohol related hospital admissions and alcohol consumption in Victoria: influence of socio-demographic factorsH Jonas
Department of General Practice and Public Health, University of Melbourne, Victoria
Aust N Z J Public Health 23:272-9. 1999..apparent per-capita alcohol consumption, alcohol-related hospital admission rates, and the distributions of socio-demographic factors for people residing in 76 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Victoria, during the 1995-1996 fiscal year.
- Legionnaires' disease outbreak: Victoria's largest identified outbreakN Formica
Communicable Diseases Section, Department of Human Services, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Commun Dis Intell 24:199-202. 2000This paper describes and analyses some aspects of an outbreak of Legionnaires' disease in Victoria, commencing in late October 1998...
- Complications of diabetes in the hospitalized population in Victoria, 1993-95D A O'Hara
Department of Human Services, Melbourne VIC, Australia
J Qual Clin Pract 18:177-85. 1998..1% and 1.4%, respectively. Of all lower limb amputations carried out in Victoria over the period, 40% (1281) were in people with diabetes. Eye surgery was carried out on (6...
- Reporting of adverse events in hospitals in Victoria, 1994-1995D A O'Hara
Public Health Branch, Department of Human Services, Melbourne, Vic
Med J Aust 166:460-3. 1997..To describe the nature and frequency of adverse events (AEs) reported in routine inpatient data collection...
- PRISM (Program of Resources, Information and Support for Mothers) Protocol for a community-randomised trial [ISRCTN03464021]Judith Lumley
Centre for the Study of Mothers and Children s Health, La Trobe University, 251 Faraday St, Carlton, Victoria 3053, Australia
BMC Public Health 3:36. 2003..Their perceptions of factors contributing to depression are lack of support, isolation, exhaustion and physical health problems. Fewer than one in three affected women seek help in primary care despite frequent contacts...
- Establishing thresholds for influenza surveillance in VictoriaCaroline G Watts
Epidemiology Division, Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory, Locked Bag 815, Carlton South, Victoria 3053
Aust N Z J Public Health 27:409-12. 2003..illness (ILI) that could be attributed to influenza infection over five consecutive influenza seasons in Victoria, to compare ILI activity with hospital admissions for influenza, and to develop thresholds that would indicate ..
- The general practice experience of the swine flu epidemic in Victoria--lessons from the front linePeter Eizenberg
North East Valley Division of General Practice, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 191:151-3. 2009The swine influenza (H1N1 09) outbreak in Victoria has provided an excellent opportunity to review the Australian Health Management Plan for Pandemic Influenza (AHMPPI) and to assess its performance in practice...
- An exploration of staff knowledge on the nurse practitioner's role in the emergency departmentGeraldine Lee
La Trobe University The Alfred Clinical School, The Alfred, Commercial Road, Prahran, Melbourne 3004, Australia
Accid Emerg Nurs 15:79-87. 2007..The role of the Nurse Practitioner (NP) was introduced to the Emergency Department (ED) at a metropolitan hospital in Melbourne, Australia in July 2004...
- How graduate nurses use protocols to manage patients' medicationsElizabeth Manias
Associate Professor of Nursing, School of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, The University of Melbourne, Carlton, Vic, Australia
J Clin Nurs 14:935-44. 2005..The objectives were to: examine the extent of adherence to various protocols in relation to medication activities and determine how the ward environment impacts on graduate nurses' use of protocols to manage patients' medications...
- Australasian Triage Scale: consumer perspectiveRobert Meek
Emergency Department, Dandenong Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Emerg Med Australas 17:212-7. 2005..To determine the ED consumers' level of understanding, acceptance and desire for knowledge regarding the Australasian Triage Scale (ATS), and to determine the ED staff's attitudes towards open provision of ATS information...
- An investigation into dentists' perceptions of barriers to providing care of dental trauma to permanent maxillary incisors in children in Victoria, AustraliaT Yeng
School of Dental Science, The University of Melbourne, Carlton, Victoria
Aust Dent J 52:210-5. 2007..The aim of this study was to investigate dentists' perceptions of barriers to providing care of dental trauma to permanent maxillary incisors in children...
- Australian lesbian and bisexual women's health and social experiences of living with hepatitis CCathy Banwell
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
Health Care Women Int 26:340-54. 2005..Lesbians and bisexuals experience HCV differently from one another and from heterosexuals. Their needs are not being met by women's health and HCV-specific services...
- Women's and health professionals' preferences for prenatal testing for Down syndrome in AustraliaSharon M Lewis
Public Health Genetics Unit, Murdoch Children s Research Institute, Royal Children s Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 46:205-11. 2006..To describe and compare women's and health professionals' preferences for prenatal screening tests for Down syndrome...
- Perioperative managers: role stressors and strategies for copingMarilyn Schroeder
Gynaecology and Surgical Services, Mercy Hospital for Women, Melbourne
Contemp Nurse 13:229-38. 2002..These findings will assist directors of nursing and other nursing leaders in formulating the direction of appropriate support and structure for the development of perioperative nurse managers...
- Introduction of a liaison nurse role in a tertiary paediatric ICUChelsea L Caffin
PICU Liaison Nurse, Royal Children s Hospital, Flemington Road, Parkville 3052, Australia
Intensive Crit Care Nurs 23:226-33. 2007The Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne is the only dedicated paediatric hospital in Victoria (population 5 million)...
- Puberty and the onset of substance use and abuseGeorge C Patton
Centre for Adolescent Health, Murdoch Children s Research Institute and Department of Paediatrics, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Pediatrics 114:e300-6. 2004..Substance abuse remains one of the major threats to adolescent health in Western cultures. The study aim was to ascertain the extent of association between pubertal development and early adolescent substance use...
- Palliative care nurse consultants in Melbourne: a snapshot of their clinical roleMARGARET O'CONNOR
School of Nursing and Midwifery, Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
Int J Palliat Nurs 14:350-5. 2008..This study reports on Phase 2 of a larger study in Melbourne, Australia, which focused particularly on describing some of the clinical aspects of the work of the PCNC in the acute hospital setting...
- Expanded practice roles for community mental health nurses in Australia: confidence, critical factors for preparedness, and perceived barriersStephen Elsom
Centre for Psychiatric Nursing, School of Nursing and Social Work, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Issues Ment Health Nurs 29:767-80. 2008..was administered to 296 community mental health nurses employed in metropolitan and rural settings in Victoria, Australia...
- Complaints from emergency department patients largely result from treatment and communication problemsDavid McD Taylor
Emergency Department, Royal Melbourne Hospital Monash University, Victoria, Australia
Emerg Med (Fremantle) 14:43-9. 2002....
- Teething symptoms: cross sectional survey of five groups of child health professionalsMelissa Wake
Centre for Community Child Health, Royal Children's Hospital, Flemington Road, Parkville Victoria 3052, Australia
BMJ 325:814. 2002
- Factors affecting the job stress and job satisfaction of Australian nurses: implications for recruitment and retentionTimothy Bartram
School of Business, La Trobe University, Bundoora, Australia
Contemp Nurse 17:293-304. 2004..Finally, we discuss contributions of this study and implications for recruitment and retention of nurses in the health sector...
- Heart disease attributions of patients prior to elective percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplastyFelicity Astin
Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Science, Monash University, Peninsula Campus, Frankston, Victoria, Australia
J Cardiovasc Nurs 19:41-7. 2004....
- The mixed attitudes of nurse's to caring for people with mental illness in a rural general hospitalFrances Reed
Maldon Hospital, Maldon, Australia
Int J Ment Health Nurs 14:249-57. 2005..Notably, collaboration with mental health nurses was identified as helping nurses overcome fear and increase competence in caring for people with mental illness...
- Factors that enhance or impede critical care nurses' discharge planning practicesRosemary Watts
Centre for Clinical Nursing Research, Epworth Hospital, Deakin University, Epworth Foundation, 89 Bridge Road, Richmond, VIC 3121, Australia
Intensive Crit Care Nurs 21:302-13. 2005..Hence, the discharge needs of patients admitted to critical care are unquestionably complex, diverse and dynamic...
- Explaining nurses' work behaviour from their perception of the environment and work valuesMiyuki Takase
School of Nursing at The University of Melbourne, Level 1, 723 Swanston Street, Carlton, Victoria 3053, Australia
Int J Nurs Stud 42:889-98. 2005..In contrast, negative environmental characteristics directly impacted on nurses' intention to quit their jobs. The present study provides new insights into nurses' work behaviour...
- Clinician perceptions of personal safety and confidence to manage inpatient aggression in a forensic psychiatric settingT Martin
School of Nursing, University of Melbourne, Australia
J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 13:90-9. 2006..However, how these are valued by clinicians and translated into practice at unit level needs ongoing attention...
- Haemodynamic instability after cardiac surgery: nurses' perceptions of clinical decision-makingJudy Currey
Alfred Deakin Nursing Research Centre, Deakin University, Burwood, Vic, Australia
J Clin Nurs 15:1081-90. 2006..An understanding of nurses' perceptions may identify areas of practice that can be improved and assist in determining the adequacy of current decision supports...
- The influence of patient complexity and nurses' experience on haemodynamic decision-making following cardiac surgeryJudy Currey
Alfred Deakin Nursing Research Centre, Deakin University, 221 Burwood Highway, Burwood, VIC 3125, Australia
Intensive Crit Care Nurs 22:194-205. 2006..The findings have implications for staff resourcing decisions and postoperative patient management, and may be used to inform nurses' professional development and education...
- Managing patients at risk of deterioration in rural hospitals: a qualitative studyRuth Endacott
School of Health and Environment, La Trobe University, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 14:275-9. 2006This paper examines strategies used by nurses to manage patients at risk of deterioration in smaller rural hospitals in Victoria, Australia.
- BIOSYNTHESIS AND ASSEMBLY OF MYELIN MEMBRANE PROTEINSDavid Colman; Fiscal Year: 2001..the major myelin proteins, each fused to a fluorescent protein (FP) derivative from the jellyfish, Aequorea victoria. Green or Blue Fluorescent Protein (FP cDNA cassettes will be linked to cDNAs encoding the 14K or 21...
- OXYGEN AND LIGHT DEPENDENCY OF PHOTODYNAMIC THERAPYBarbara Henderson; Fiscal Year: 2004..the interaction of two photosensitizers, an anionic pyropheophorbide derivative (HPPH) and the cationic dye Victoria Blue-BO (VBBO)...
- Paracrine Regulation of IGF-I in the Developing IleumPhillip Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2006..The primary mentor, Dr. Victoria Camerini, has a productive record in both research and research training (she currently holds an RO1 and is a ..
- Wsahington Univ & BJC Epi-Center for Prevention of Healthcare-Associated InfectioVictoria Fraser; Fiscal Year: 2007..Rev. (3C_'04) Page 2 FormPage 2 P_="_E'_I'_mat!esSgator,'ProgramDirector(Last, First, Middle): Fraser, Victoria J. I__'-'YPERSO,%.%ELSee L,'_tru_Jens...
- Determinants of resistance in human schistosomiasisDaniel G Colley; Fiscal Year: 2010..mansoni in Lake Victoria, and is based on 14 years of collaborative, longitudinal studies...
- Evo-epidemiology of Schistosoma mansoni in western KenyaERIC LOKER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Gerald M. Mkoji of the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) and will take place in Kisumu, Kenya, near Lake Victoria. Our efforts will interface with those of an ongoing KEMRI project undertaken in collaboration with the Center ..
- Discovery of novel fluorescent reporter genesMing Zhao; Fiscal Year: 2004The green fluorescent protein (GFP) from Aequorea victoria has been developed into a highly versatile reporter gene. Another family of fluorescent proteins, including Discosoma Red (DsRed), has been cloned from corals (4)...
- CORE--DATA MANAGEMENT AND STATISTICSSati Mazumdar; Fiscal Year: 2007..Under the expert guidance of Dr. Victoria Grochocinski, the data management component will handle all aspects of data processing, storage, and analysis ..
- Norms and Built Environment: Use of Shade in U.S. and Australian City ParksDavid B Buller; Fiscal Year: 2010..Pilot studies confirmed that adults in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia had stronger sun protection habits and norms than adults in Denver, Colorado, USA...
- ROLE OF PHOSPHATIDIC ACID IN GROWTH FACTOR SIGNALINGGuillermo Romero; Fiscal Year: 2003..b>victoria Green Fluorescent Protein (GFP)...
- ROLE OF FUCOSYLTRANSFERASE IN ANTIVIRAL CYTOTOXICITYMANJUNATH SWAMY; Fiscal Year: 2004..We have also produced transgenic mice whose T cells express the jellyfish Victoria acquoria-derived green fluorescent protein (GFP-Tg)...
- CHEMISTRY AND DEVELOPMENT OF TRANSPLANTATION ANTIGENSMichael Edidin; Fiscal Year: 2002..We will use endogenously fluorescent MHC I molecules tagged with A. victoria green fluorescent protein, GFP, to probe TAP/MHC-I and MHC-I interactions in unperturbed endoplasmic reticulum, e...
- PPARgamma: Biomarker for Breast Cancer in Older WomenPearl Seo; Fiscal Year: 2007..Her research program will be overseen by mentors Drs. Victoria Seewaldt and Harvey Jay Cohen who have expertise in early breast carcinogenesis and geriatric oncology ..
- Western Region Islet Study GroupJohn Hutton; Fiscal Year: 2007..S. and Canada. The second meeting was held at the Victoria Conference Center in Victoria B.C. from Nov 1-3rd, 2002 and was attended by 86 researchers...
- A Multimedia Social Support Intervention: Adherence to HIV Care in South AfricaRobert Remien; Fiscal Year: 2007..Phase 2, 66 HIV+ adult patients at three clinics in the South Peninsula District of the Western Cape (False Bay, Victoria Hospital, and Retreat Clinic) will participate in a pilot randomized controlled trial of the intervention...