Genomes and Genes
Summary: A state in northeastern Australia. Its capital is Brisbane. Its coast was first visited by Captain Cook in 1770 and its first settlement (penal) was located on Moreton Bay in 1824. The name Cooksland was first proposed but honor to Queen Victoria prevailed. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p996 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p441)
Publications281 found, 100 shown here
- Why paediatricians rural out going to the country but support opportunities for changeS M Gorton
School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, James Cook University, Townsville, Queensland, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 37:113-7. 2001....
- Making a difference: education and training retains and supports rural and remote doctors in QueenslandColin D White
Health Workforce Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Rural Remote Health 7:700. 2007..The purpose of this article is to provide some evidence as to the efficacy of rurally relevant CME programs in retaining medical practitioners in rural and remote communities...
- How young people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds experience mental health: some insights for mental health nursesDon Gorman
Department of Nursing, University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba, Australia
Int J Ment Health Nurs 12:194-202. 2003..interviews were undertaken with 123 CALD young people, 41 carers and 14 mental health service providers in Queensland, Western Australia and South Australia...
- Relations between social support, appraisal and coping and both positive and negative outcomes in young carersKenneth I Pakenham
University of Queensland, Australia
J Health Psychol 12:89-102. 2007..The stress/coping framework and findings have the potential to inform interventions designed to promote well-being in young carers...
- An exploration of modifiable health associated risk factors within a cohort of undergraduate nursing studentsChristine Purcell
School of Nursing and Midwifery, Griffith University - Logan Campus, Meadowbrook, Queensland, Australia
Contemp Nurse 23:100-10. 2006..A campaign of public health might be useful within the university community to educate students about risk factors and healthy living...
- Management of episodes of incapacity by families in rural and remote QueenslandSansnee Jirojwong
Faculty of Arts, Health and Sciences, Central Queensland University, Rockhampton, Queensland 4701, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 10:249-55. 2002..This cross-sectional study was conducted in rural and remote areas of Central Queensland. Using telephone interviews, the study described the use of formal and informal health services by families in ..
- Cancer among people living in rural and remote Indigenous communities in QueenslandM Coory
Epidemiology Services Unit, Queensland Health, Brisbane
Med J Aust 173:301-4. 2000To describe the pattern of cancer among people living in rural and remote Indigenous communities in Queensland and to consider what implications the results have for cancer control.
- Early evidence for direct and indirect effects of the infant rotavirus vaccine program in QueenslandStephen B Lambert
Queensland Paediatric Infectious Diseases Laboratory, Royal Children s Hospital, and Discipline of Paediatrics and Child Health, University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Med J Aust 191:157-60. 2009..To assess the impact of introducing a publicly funded infant rotavirus vaccination program on disease notifications and on laboratory testing and results...
- Tuberculosis-related deaths in Queensland, Australia, 1989-1998: characteristics and risk factorsH C Walpola
Queensland Health, Specialised Health Services, Annerley, Queensland, Australia
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 7:742-50. 2003OBJECTIVE: To review factors associated with TB-related deaths in Queensland, Australia...
- Emergence of community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection in Queensland, AustraliaWendy J Munckhof
Infection Management Services, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Int J Infect Dis 7:259-64. 2003To investigate the incidence and epidemiology of non-multiresistant methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (nmMRSA) infection in south-east Queensland, Australia.
- Screening PARK genes for mutations in early-onset Parkinson's disease patients from Queensland, AustraliaGeorge D Mellick
Eskitis Institute for Cellular and Molecular Therapies, Griffith University, Nathan, QLD 4111, Australia
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 15:105-9. 2009..G2019S mutation in LRRK2. No alpha-synuclein or DJ-1 variants were observed. Our data suggest that approximately 7% of early-onset PD cases seen in Queensland movement disorders clinics have mutations involving known PARK genes.
- Experimental infection of Australian brushtail possums, Trichosurus vulpecula (Phalangeridae: Marsupialia), with Ross River and Barmah Forest viruses by use of a natural mosquito vector systemA M Boyd
Queensland Institute of Medical Research and University of Queensland, Tropical Health Program, St Lucia, Australia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 65:777-82. 2001..vulpecula may potentially act as a reservoir species for RR in urban areas. However, T. vulpecula infected with BF do not develop viremia sufficient to infect mosquitoes and are unlikely to be important hosts for BF...
- HPV vaccination: what do Queensland parents think?Katrin Hausdorf
Aust N Z J Public Health 31:288-9. 2007
- Cohort Profile: The Mater-University of Queensland Study of Pregnancy (MUSP)J M Najman
School of Population Health, University of Queensland, St Lucia 4072, Australia
Int J Epidemiol 34:992-7. 2005
- Retaining rural and remote area nurses. The Queensland, Australia experienceDesley Hegney
Center for Rural and Remote Area Nursing, University of Southern Queensland, PO Darling Heights, Toowoomba, QLD 4350, Australia
J Nurs Adm 32:128-35. 2002..authors gathered qualitative and quantitative data from nurses who had resigned from rural and remote areas in Queensland, Australia...
- Near-hanging as presenting to hospitals in Queensland: recommendations for practiceR J Boots
Department of Intensive Care, Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital, Brisbane
Anaesth Intensive Care 34:736-45. 2006..We reviewed the clinical management and outcome of these patients as they presented to public hospitals in Queensland. A retrospective clinical record audit was made at five public hospitals between 1991 and 2000...
- Assessment of the potential of dogs and cats as urban reservoirs of Ross River and Barmah Forest virusesA M Boyd
Queensland Institute of Medical Research and University of Queensland, Tropical Health Program, Post Office Royal Brisbane Hospital
Aust Vet J 80:83-6. 2002..CONCLUSIONS: Although dogs and cats are exposed naturally to these viruses, and can become infected, they are unlikely to be important urban reservoirs of either virus...
- Factors contributing to upper limb recovery after stroke: a survey of stroke survivors in Queensland AustraliaRuth N Barker
Division of Physiotherapy, School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Disabil Rehabil 29:981-9. 2007..To identify factors which contribute to upper limb recovery, from the perspective of stroke survivors...
- An outbreak of Plasmodium vivax malaria in Far North Queensland, 2002Jeffrey N Hanna
Tropical Public Health Unit, Queensland Health, PO Box 1103, Cairns, QLD 4870, Australia
Med J Aust 180:24-8. 2004To describe an outbreak of Plasmodium vivax malaria in Far North Queensland in 2002.
- Nursing workloads: the results of a study of Queensland NursesDesley Hegney
Head, Centre for Rural and Remote Area Health, Department of Nursing, Faculty of Sciences, University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia
J Nurs Manag 11:307-14. 2003This paper reports the findings of a survey undertaken in Queensland, Australia in October 2001...
- Survival of Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) eggs in surface and subterranean breeding sites during the northern Queensland dry seasonB M Russell
Queensland Institute of Medical Research and University of Queensland Tropical Health Program, Royal Brisbane Hospital, Australia
J Med Entomol 38:441-5. 2001..aegypti (L.) eggs was examined in Townsville, northern Queensland, Australia...
- Comparative field evaluation of repellent formulations containing deet and IR3535 against mosquitoes in Queensland, AustraliaS P Frances
Australian Army Malaria Institute, Gallipoli Barracks, Enoggera, Queensland 4051, Australia, USA
J Am Mosq Control Assoc 25:511-3. 2009..IR3535 (ethyl butylacetylaminopropionate) and deet (N,N-diethyl-3-methylbenzamide) against mosquitoes in Queensland, Australia, were conducted. Two repellents were compared: Avon Bug Guard, containing 7...
- Diabetes mellitus and serum carotenoids: findings of a population-based study in Queensland, AustraliaTerry Coyne
School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Am J Clin Nutr 82:685-93. 2005..The role of these antioxidants in the pathogenesis of diabetes mellitus remains unclear...
- Dental caries experience in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders in the Northern Peninsula Area, QueenslandM Hopcraft
Cooperative Research Centre for Oral Health Sciences, School of Dental Science, The University of Melbourne, Victoria
Aust Dent J 52:300-4. 2007A survey of dental caries experience in children was undertaken in five Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities in the Northern Peninsula Area of Queensland prior to the introduction of water fluoridation.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, Cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors and paracetamol use in Queensland and in the whole of AustraliaNadia Barozzi
School of Pharmacy, University of Queensland, Steele Building, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 8:196. 2008..The aim of this study was to compare the utilization of non selective NSAID, COX-2 inhibitors and paracetamol between Queensland and Australia.
- Phylogeography of the freshwater fish, Mogurnda adspersa, in streams of northeastern Queensland, Australia: evidence for altered drainage patternsD A Hurwood
Cooperative Research Centre for Tropical Rainforest Ecology and Management, Australian School of Environmental Studies, Griffith University, Nathan, Queensland, Australia
Mol Ecol 7:1507-17. 1998..This species of freshwater fish is found in the rivers and streams of the northeastern highlands of Queensland, Australia...
- New Mid-Cretaceous (latest Albian) dinosaurs fromWinton, Queensland, AustraliaScott A Hocknull
Geosciences, Queensland Museum, Hendra, Queensland, Australia
PLoS ONE 4:e6190. 2009....
- Trends and determinants of caesarean sections births in Queensland, 1997-2006Stuart Howell
Health Statistics Centre, Queensland Health, Forestry House, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 49:606-11. 2009The determinants of Queensland's rising caesarean section (CS) rate remain poorly understood because of the historical absence of standard classification methods.
- The changing phases of pandemic (H1N1) 2009 in Queensland: an overview of public health actions and epidemiologyRanil D Appuhamy
Population Health, Queensland Health, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Med J Aust 192:94-7. 2010A graded public health response was implemented to control the pandemic (H1N1) 2009 outbreak in Queensland. Public health measures to contain the outbreak included border control, enhanced surveillance, management of cases and contacts ..
- Health-related quality of life 18 months after breast cancer: comparison with the general population of Queensland, AustraliaTracey DiSipio
School of Public Health, Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Queensland University of Technology, Victoria Park Road, Kelvin Grove, Queensland, 4059, Australia
Support Care Cancer 16:1141-50. 2008Health-related quality of life (HRQoL) was compared between urban breast cancer survivors (BCS) and the general female population in urban Queensland, and correlates were identified.
- Trends in birth size and macrosomia in Queensland, Australia, from 1988 to 2005Petra H Lahmann
The University of Queensland, School of Population Health, Herston Qld, Australia
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 23:533-41. 2009The objectives of this study were to explore temporal changes in birth measures in Queensland, Australia, and examine whether secular trends are similar to those in other countries...
- Importation of dengue by soldiers returning from East Timor to north Queensland, AustraliaScott Kitchener
Clinical Field Section, Army Malaria Institute, Gallipoli Barracks, Enoggera, Brisbane, Australia
J Travel Med 9:180-3. 2002..This represented the potential to import dengue virus into north Queensland, a dengue receptive area of Australia...
- A comparison of the anatomic distribution of cutaneous melanoma in two populations with different levels of sunlight: the west of Scotland and Queensland, Australia 1982-2001David C Whiteman
Division of Population Studies and Human Genetics, Queensland Institute for Medical Research, Post Office Royal Brisbane Hospital, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Cancer Causes Control 18:485-91. 2007..We ascertained all new cases of invasive cutaneous melanoma in the west of Scotland and Queensland 1982-2001...
- Spatiotemporal variation of notified Barmah Forest virus infections in Queensland, Australia, 1993-2001Shilu Tong
School of Public Health, Queensland University of Technology, QLD, Australia
Int J Environ Health Res 15:89-98. 2005The spatiotemporal variations of Barmah Forest virus (BFv) infections were assessed in Queensland, Australia, between 1993 and 2001 utilizing a Geographic Information System...
- Nasal carriage of Staphylococcus aureus, including community-associated methicillin-resistant strains, in Queensland adultsW J Munckhof
Infection Management Service, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Clin Microbiol Infect 15:149-55. 2009Community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA) infections are emerging in southeast Queensland, Australia, but the incidence of carriage of CA-MRSA strains is unknown...
- Clinical and epidemiological features of canine leptospirosis in North QueenslandR I Miller
IDEXX Laboratories, Coorparoo QLD 4151
Aust Vet J 85:13-9. 2007To evaluate the clinical signs, results of clinical pathology and serology tests, and treatment outcome of clinical leptospirosis in 40 dogs from North Queensland.
- Changes in the incidence of cutaneous melanoma in the west of Scotland and Queensland, Australia: hope for health promotion?David C Whiteman
Division of Population Studies and Human Genetics, Queensland Institute for Medical Research, Herston, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Eur J Cancer Prev 17:243-50. 2008..We analysed site-specific melanoma incidence during the period 1982-2001 in Queensland, Australia (n=28 862 invasive melanomas; 2536 lentigo maligna melanomas) and the west of Scotland (n=4278 ..
- Non-melanoma skin cancer risk in the Queensland renal transplant populationH M Ramsay
Department of Dermatology, North Staffordshire Hospital, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire ST4 7LN, U.K
Br J Dermatol 147:950-6. 2002..Registry data may underestimate the scale of the problem. OBJECTIVES: A single-observer study of a Queensland renal transplant population was conducted between July 1999 and April 2000 utilizing both cross-sectional and ..
- A survey of the current surgical treatment of gallstones in QueenslandJames Askew
Department of Surgery, Nambour Hospital, Nambour, Queensland, Australia
ANZ J Surg 75:1086-9. 2005To survey the current practice of general surgeons in Queensland in their management of patients with gallstones.
- Mycobacterial soft tissue infections in North QueenslandElizabeth Jackson
Department of Microbiology, Queensland Health Pathology and Scientific Services, The Townsville Hospital, Townsville, Queensland, Australia
ANZ J Surg 77:368-70. 2007..North Queensland has an environment, which predisposes to several such infections...
- Urban-rural differences in survival from cutaneous melanoma in QueenslandMichael Coory
School of Population Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Queensland, Herston Road, Herston, Queensland 4006
Aust N Z J Public Health 30:71-4. 2006To assess how much of the urban-rural disparity in melanoma survival in Queensland is due to later diagnosis.
- Suicide mortality data need revisionDiego De Leo
Med J Aust 186:157-8. 2007
- Prevalence of percutaneous exposure incidents amongst dentists in QueenslandP A Leggat
Anton Breinl Centre for Public Health and Tropical Medicine, James Cook University, Townsville, Queensland
Aust Dent J 51:158-61. 2006..Given the importance of this topic, we considered it necessary to investigate the distribution and cause of PEI among Queensland dentists.
- Uptake of new drugs in rural and urban areas of Queensland, Australia: the example of COX-2 inhibitorsK Behan
School of Pharmacy, University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, 4072 Australia
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 61:55-8. 2005..the changes over time in the volume of prescriptions of COX-2 selective inhibitors between rural and urban Queensland to reveal any difference in the uptake of the prescribing of these new drugs between two geographically distinct ..
- Increase in caesarean section rates among low-risk women in Queensland, 1990-2004Trisha C Johnston
Med J Aust 185:404-5. 2006
- Faecal incontinence: an unrecognised epidemic in rural North Queensland? Results of a hospital-based outpatient studyYik Hong Ho
School of Medicine and School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, James Cook University, Townsville, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 13:28-34. 2005We explored the prevalence of faecal incontinence (FI) in a referral hospital outpatient population, to explore suspicions that FI is inadequately studied, underestimated and poorly appreciated in the rural North Queensland (NQ) community.
- Colorectal carcinoma among Indigenous people: a public hospital-based study in Townsville and Cairns, North Queensland, AustraliaPing-Yan Lu
Discipline of Surgery, James Cook University, Townsville and Cairns, Queensland, Australia
ANZ J Surg 75:972-6. 2005..CONCLUSIONS: Comparisons were made with available data on colorectal cancer in the general Australian population. The limitations and deficiencies of the study, as well as problems of data collection on Indigenous people were discussed...
- The genetic basis of academic achievement on the Queensland Core Skills Test and its shared genetic variance with IQMark A Wainwright
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Australia
Behav Genet 35:133-45. 2005..and environmental sources of variation in performance on a standardised test of academic achievement, the Queensland Core Skills Test (QCST) (Queensland Studies Authority, 2003a)...
- Trends in the annual prevalence of hospitalisation for remote indigenous communities in Queensland, 1997/98 to 2004/05Michael Coory
School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Level 2 Public Health Building, Herston Road, Herston, Queensland
Aust N Z J Public Health 30:440-3. 2006To describe trends in the annual prevalence of hospitalisation in remote Indigenous communities in Queensland, 1997/98 to 2004/05.
- Fine-scale spatial genetic correlation analyses reveal strong female philopatry within a brush-tailed rock-wallaby colony in southeast QueenslandS L Hazlitt
School of Life Sciences, University of Queensland, St Lucia QLD 4072 Australia
Mol Ecol 13:3621-32. 2004..and dispersal within a brush-tailed rock-wallaby (Petrogale penicillata) colony at Hurdle Creek Valley, Queensland. Brush-tailed rock-wallabies were once abundant and widespread throughout the rocky terrain of southeastern ..
- Minor skin excisions in general practice in North QueenslandClare Heal
General Practice and Rural Medicine, James Cook University, Queensland, Australia
Aust Fam Physician 35:825-8. 2006To describe the demographics of patients presenting with skin cancer to general practitioners in rural North Queensland, the sites from which skin cancers are removed, and their histology.
- Invasive group A streptococcal disease in North Queensland (1996 - 2001)R Norton
Microbiology, Queensland Health Pathology Services, Townsville Hospital, Townsville, Australia
Indian J Med Res 119:148-51. 2004..The aim of this study was to characterize clinical and microbiological features of isolates obtained from invasive GAS infections in North Queensland, Australia between 1996 and 2001.
- Rheumatic disease in an Australian Aboriginal community in North Queensland, Australia. A WHO-ILAR COPCORD surveyNicola Minaur
James Cook University School of Medicine, Cairns Base Hospital, Cairns, Queensland, Australia
J Rheumatol 31:965-72. 2004..To estimate prevalences of rheumatic diseases in Aboriginal Australians...
- A review of three years experience using email and videoconferencing for the delivery of post-acute burns care to children in QueenslandAnthony C Smith
Centre for Online Health, University of Queensland, Level 3 Foundation Building, Royal Children s Hospital, Herston 4029, QLD, Australia
Burns 30:248-52. 2004A virtual outpatient service has been established in Queensland for the delivery of post-acute burns care to children living in rural and remote areas of the state...
- A measles outbreak in the Whitsundays, Queensland: the shape of things to come?Jeffrey N Hanna
Tropical Public Health Unit Network, Queensland Health, Cairns, Queensland
Commun Dis Intell Q Rep 26:589-92. 2002This report describes a small outbreak of measles that occurred in the Whitsunday region, north Queensland, in July to August 2002...
- The Quasi-Biennial Oscillation and Ross River virus incidence in Queensland, AustraliaSinead J Done
Department of Physical Geography, Division of Environmental and Life Sciences, Macquarie University, Sydney NSW 2109, Australia
Int J Biometeorol 46:202-7. 2002..Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System has confirmed that its incidence is often greatest in the state of Queensland, where there is a clear seasonal pattern as well as interannual variability...
- General practice research: attitudes and involvement of Queensland general practitionersDeborah A Askew
Centre for General Practice, School of Population Health, The University of Queensland Medical School, Herston Road, Herston, QLD 4006, Australia
Med J Aust 177:74-7. 2002..To determine general practitioners' (GPs') attitudes towards and involvement in general practice research...
- Entomological investigations in a focus of dengue transmission in Cairns, Queensland, Australia, by using the sticky ovitrapsScott A Ritchie
School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, James Cook University, P.O. Box 6811, Cairns 4870, Australia
J Med Entomol 41:1-4. 2004..weekly in a focus of dengue activity in Cairns, Queensland, Australia...
- Differential effect of socioeconomic status on rates of invasive coronary procedures across the public and private sectors in Queensland, AustraliaM Coory
Health Information Centre, Queensland Health, Australia
J Epidemiol Community Health 56:233-4. 2002
- Renal-related deaths in Indigenous people in Queensland, AustraliaKaren Andreasyan
Centre for Chronic Disease, Central Clinical School, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nephrology (Carlton) 12:514-9. 2007..We aimed to quantify the excess of deaths with a renal causal assignment among Indigenous people aged 25 years and over in Queensland, Australia, 1997-2000 and their distribution by remoteness.
- Participation in cervical cancer screening by women in rural and remote Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities in QueenslandMichael D Coory
Queensland Health, Brisbane QLD, Australia
Med J Aust 177:544-7. 2002To investigate the extent of participation in cervical cancer screening among women who live in discrete rural and remote Indigenous communities in Queensland.
- Cupped lesions of early onset dental erosion in young southeast Queensland adultsF Khan
Department of Dentistry, The University of Queensland, St Lucia
Aust Dent J 46:100-7. 2001..Dental erosion manifests as cupped lesions on cusp apices and in fissures of teeth in patients from southeast Queensland referred with excessive tooth wear...
- Identifying variations in quality of care in Queensland hospitalsStephen J Duckett
Reform and Development Division, Queensland Health, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Med J Aust 187:571-5. 2007..We describe one aspect of Queensland's post-Bundaberg clinical governance arrangements: the use of variable life-adjusted displays (VLADs) to monitor ..
- Musculoskeletal disorders and psychosocial risk factors among veterinarians in Queensland, AustraliaD R Smith
WorkCover New South Wales Research Centre of Excellence, University of Newcastle, Ourimbah, New South Wales, Australia
Aust Vet J 87:260-5. 2009..Although musculoskeletal disorders (MSD) represent one of the most important occupational health issues in contemporary society, few studies have specifically investigated this problem among veterinarians...
- Towards indirect potable reuse in South East QueenslandW H Traves
GHD Pty Ltd, 201 Charlotte Street, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Water Sci Technol 58:153-61. 2008Faced with limited water supply options in the longer term and the worst drought on record in the short term, the Queensland Government is constructing the Western Corridor Recycled Water Project which will supply up to 182 ML/day of ..
- A study of postdiagnosis breast cancer concerns for women living in rural and remote Queensland. Part I: Personal concernsP McGrath
Centre for Public Health Research, Queensland University of Technology, Kelvin Grove, Red Hill, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 7:34-42. 1999..indication of the support needs of postdiagnosis women with breast cancer in remote and isolated areas in Queensland. This discussion will present data that focuses on the women's expressed personal concerns...
- How do perioperative nurses cope with stress?Brigid M Gillespie
Mater Health Services, South Brisbane, Queensland
Contemp Nurse 16:20-9. 2003..These findings support the eminent need for hospital organizations to take a more person-centered approach when dealing with workplace stress...
- Assessment of the diagnosis and prevalence of asthma in Australian indigenous childrenPatricia C Valery
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Population and Clinical Sciences Division, 300 Herston Road, Queensland 4006, Australia
J Clin Epidemiol 56:629-35. 2003..We endeavoured to assess its performance when administered in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities...
- Why nurses are attracted to rural and remote practiceDesley Hegney
Centre for Rural and Remote Area Nursing, University of Southern Queensland, PO Darling Heights, Toowoomba, Queensland 4350, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 10:178-86. 2002..study that examined the factors influencing the decisions of rural and remote area nurses, formerly employed by Queensland Health, to leave or to remain in this area of nursing...
- Health professional partnerships and their impact on Aboriginal health: an occupational therapist's and Aboriginal health worker's perspectiveKerry Hooper
Occupational Therapy Department, Shoalhaven District Memorial Hospital, Nowra, New South Wales, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 15:46-51. 2007..between occupational therapists and Aboriginal health workers in rural and remote communities of North Queensland. The study identifies ways in which professional partnerships improve client services and enhance occupational ..
- School-based youth health nurses: roles, responsibilities, challenges, and rewardsMargaret Barnes
School of Nursing, Faculty of Health, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
Public Health Nurs 21:316-22. 2004..The SBYHNP provides nurses with a new, challenging, autonomous role within the school environment and the opportunity to expand their role to incorporate all aspects of the health-promoting schools' framework...
- Beginning treatment for pediatric acute myeloid leukemia: the family connectionPam McGrath
Centre for Social Science Research, School of Nursing and Health, Central Queensland University, Rockhampton, Australia
Issues Compr Pediatr Nurs 28:97-114. 2005..The findings emphasise the need for support for families coping with childhood AML...
- Benchmarking occupational stressors and strain levels for rural nurses and other health sector workersMajella J Albion
Department of Psychology, University of Southern Queensland, Queensland, Australia
J Nurs Manag 13:411-8. 2005..866 females, 217 males, 14 did not indicate gender) in a regional Health Service District who completed the Queensland Public Agency Staff Survey in 2002...
- Consultations in general practice and at an Aboriginal community controlled health service: do they differ?Sarah L Larkins
Townsville Aboriginal and Islanders Health Service Ltd, Garbutt, Queensland, Australia
Rural Remote Health 6:560. 2006..These could then be compared with existing datasets for local consultations in mainstream general practice and from a geographically distant ACCHS...
- Skin infections among Indigenous Australians in an urban setting in far North QueenslandP C Valery
Indigenous Health Research Program, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Australia
Epidemiol Infect 136:1103-8. 2008..These results have implications for future changes of antibiotic policies for the treatment of skin infections in this population...
- Making them more vulnerable: nursing insights on the irony of using questionnairesPam McGrath
International Program of Psycho Social Health Research, Central Queensland University, Kenmore, Queensland 4069, Australia
Nurs Forum 42:65-72. 2007..Nursing insights on the experience of using standardized questionnaires during hospice care...
- Influence of exposure to fluoridated water on socioeconomic inequalities in children's caries experienceG D Slade
Department of Dentistry, University of Adelaide, Australia
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 24:89-100. 1996..Cross-sectional data were obtained from 6704 Queensland children aged 5-12 years and 6814 South Australian children aged 5-15 years...
- Epilepsy in Indigenous and non-Indigenous people in Far North QueenslandJohn Archer
School of Medicine, James Cook University, Cairns, Queensland, Australia
Med J Aust 184:607-10. 2006..To compare patterns of epilepsy in Indigenous and non-Indigenous people presenting to hospital...
- Indigenous mortality in remote Queensland, AustraliaKaren Andreasyan
Centre for Chronic Disease, Central Clinical School, University of Queensland
Aust N Z J Public Health 31:422-7. 2007To quantify Indigenous mortality, compare it with non-Indigenous mortality, and identify causes of excess Indigenous mortality by remoteness in Queensland, 1997-2000.
- Rural temperament and character: a new perspective on retention of rural doctorsDiann Eley
School of Medicine Rural Clinical Division, University of Queensland, Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 16:12-22. 2008..The overall aim is to describe how individual levels and combinations of temperament (mildly heritable) and character (influenced by sociocultural learning) traits allow GPs to flourish or fail in rural medicine...
- Attitudes and behaviours of young Indigenous people in Townsville concerning relationships, sex and contraception: the "U Mob Yarn Up" projectSarah L Larkins
Townsville Aboriginal and Islander Health Services, Townsville, QLD, Australia
Med J Aust 186:513-8. 2007..To gain some understanding of the attitudes and behaviours of Indigenous young people in Townsville concerning relationships, contraception and safe sex...
- Sun exposure and interaction with family history in risk of melanoma, Queensland, AustraliaVictor Siskind
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Australia
Int J Cancer 97:90-5. 2002..of the association between lifetime and age-specific cumulative ultraviolet exposure and cutaneous melanoma in Queensland, Australia, an area of high solar radiation, and examine the association separately for families at high, ..
- Nurses' attitudes toward elderly people and knowledge of gerontic care in a mult-purpose health service (MPHS)Prue Mellor
Age Concern Pty Ltd, Ormond, Victoria, Australia
Aust J Adv Nurs 24:37-41. 2007..As there are no previous studies in this area of nursing it is anticipated that this study will provide the basis for further exploration...
- The impact of clinical placement location on nursing students' competence and preparedness for practiceHelen Edwards
School of Nursing, Queensland University of Technology, Victoria Park Road, Kelvin Grove, QLD 4059, Australia
Nurse Educ Today 24:248-55. 2004..The population consisted of all final year Bachelor of Nursing students at Queensland University of Technology, who undertook their clinical placement in either a rural or metropolitan location...
- Staff and patient perceptions of seclusion: has anything changed?Tom Meehan
The Park, Centre for Mental Health, University of Queensland, Wacol, Queensland, Australia
J Adv Nurs 47:33-8. 2004..While early research on the topic highlighted significant differences in staff and patient perceptions, there are few recent data to indicate if these differences still exist...
- Self-reported perceptions of Registered Nurses working in Australian hospitalsGary Day
Health Services Management, School of Public Health, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
J Nurs Manag 15:403-13. 2007..The purpose of this study is to develop an understanding of work environments by analysing the perceptions of a sample of Registered Nurses (RNs)...
- Attitudes and practices of general practitioners in the diagnosis and management of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderK A Shaw
School of Population Health, University of Queensland Medical School, Herston, Queensland, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 38:481-6. 2002..To assess understanding of, and actual and potential roles in management of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) among GPs...
- A phenomenographic study of registered nurses' understanding of their role in student learning--an Australian perspectiveJillian Brammer
School of Nursing and Midwifery, Griffith University, Logan Campus, University Drive, Meadowbrook, Queensland, Australia
Int J Nurs Stud 43:963-73. 2006..Little is known about the way registered nurses understand this informal role...
- Belongingness: a montage of nursing students' stories of their clinical placement experiencesTracy Levett Jones
School of Nursing and Midwifery, The University of Newcastle, Callaghan NSW, Australia, and Honorary Research Associate, The University of Southampton, Southampton, United Kingdom
Contemp Nurse 24:162-74. 2007..Consequently, distress, detachment and disengagement occurred and students' capacity and motivation for learning was negatively impacted...
- RN as gatekeeper: gatekeeping as monitoring and supervisionJillian D Brammer
Alice Lee Centre for Nursing Studies, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
J Clin Nurs 17:1868-76. 2008....
- The meaningful experiences of being a Registered Nurse (RN) BuddyRachel Walker
School of Nursing and Midwifery, Griffith University, Nathan 4111, Queensland, Australia
Nurse Educ Today 28:760-7. 2008..theory underpinned this exploratory study set in a large metropolitan teaching hospital in South East Queensland. Participants were five RNs who had been Buddies to undergraduate nursing student(s) in the previous 12 months...
- Students' perception of the psycho-social clinical learning environment: an evaluation of placement modelsAmanda Henderson
Nursing Practice Development Unit, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Ipswich Road, Woolloongabba, QLD 4102, Australia
Nurse Educ Today 26:564-71. 2006....
- A comparison of preceptor and preceptee's perceptions of how the preceptor's role is operationalizedRobyn Fox
Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital, Herston, Queensland, Australia
J Clin Nurs 15:361-4. 2006
- Introduction of routine outcome measures: staff reactions and issues for considerationT Meehan
Department of Psychiatry, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 13:581-7. 2006..The shift to a service model driven by outcomes and case-mix data will take time and resources to achieve. Implications for nursing staff are discussed...
- Adequacy of support for new graduates during their transition into the workplace: a Queensland, Australia studyVictoria Parker
Faculty of Sciences, University of Southern Queensland, PO Darling Heights, Toowoomba, Queensland 4350, Australia
Int J Nurs Pract 9:300-5. 2003In 2001, a study into issues of concern to assistant-in-nursing, registered and enrolled nurse members of the Queensland Nurses Union was undertaken...
- RN as gatekeeper: student understanding of the RN buddy role in clinical practice experienceJillian D Brammer
School of Nursing and Midwifery, Griffith University, Logan Campus, University Drive, Meadowbrook, Queensland 4152, Australia
Nurse Educ Today 26:697-704. 2006..semi-structured interviews were conducted with a purposive sample of 24 students from one university in Queensland, Australia...
- Improving access to cardiac rehabilitation for remote Indigenous clientsFrank Shepherd
North Queensland Rural Division of General Practice, Queensland
Aust N Z J Public Health 27:632-6. 2003..cardiac rehabilitation was undertaken with 47 Indigenous cardiac patients and 41 health professionals in remote Queensland. RESULTS: Only three patients were fully engaged in the program...
- Socio-economic distribution of environmental risk factors for childhood injuryJoseph V Turner
School of Medicine, University of Queensland
Aust N Z J Public Health 30:514-8. 2006..CONCLUSION: The differential distribution of environmental risk factors by SES of household may help explain the SES differential in the burden of injury and provides opportunities for focusing efforts to address the problem...
- Positive maternal attitude to the family eating together decreases the risk of adolescent overweightAbdullah A Mamun
Longitudinal Studies Unit, School of Population Health, Herston, QLD 4006, Australia
Obes Res 13:1422-30. 2005..To determine whether maternal attitude towards the family regularly eating together and maternal report of how often the family eat together are associated with adolescent offspring overweight...
- Extending the theory of planned behavior: the role of self and social influences in predicting adolescent regular moderate-to-vigorous physical activityKyra Hamilton
School of Psychology and Counselling, Queensland University of Technology, Bresbane, Queensland Australia
J Sport Exerc Psychol 30:56-74. 2008..Overall, the results provide support for an extended version of the TPB incorporating self-identity and those social influences linked explicitly to membership of a behaviorally relevant reference group...
- Use of a team-based approach to assistive technology assessment and planning for children with multiple disabilities: a pilot studyJodie Copley
Division of Occupational Therapy, University of Queensland, St Lucia, Australia
Assist Technol 19:109-25. 2007..Further research is required to objectively measure direct student outcomes and to determine the impact of team dynamics...
- Genetic Variation in the NF-kappaB Pathway and Ovarian Cancer EtiologyEllen L Goode; Fiscal Year: 2010..study consists of external validation of approximately 50 polymorphisms using data from ongoing studies at the Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Australia, and the University of Cambridge, UK...
- ANALYSIS OF SPOTTED FEVER RICKETTSIAL ANTIGENSDavid Walker; Fiscal Year: 1993..sibirica) occurring in vast regions of the USSR, China, and Mongolia, Queensland tick typhus (R. australis), Israel tick typhus (unnamed Rickettsia sp...
- Pathways from genotype and environment to melanomaNicholas K Hayward; Fiscal Year: 2010..Incidence rates in Queensland are almost five times those in the United States...
- Pathways from genotype and environment to melanomaNicholas Hayward; Fiscal Year: 2009..Incidence rates in Queensland are almost five times those in the United States...
- Genetic Epidemiology of MelanomaDavid Elder; Fiscal Year: 2007..size, with the recruitment of new participant groups in Utah, Toronto, Tel Aviv, Latvia, Poland, Slovenia and Queensland. This application for competitive renewal of the R01 will utilize the support of the members of GenoMEL and the ..
- Genetic Epidemiology of MelanomaDavid E Elder; Fiscal Year: 2009..size, with the recruitment of new participant groups in Utah, Toronto, Tel Aviv, Latvia, Poland, Slovenia and Queensland. This application for competitive renewal of the R01 will utilize the support of the members of GenoMEL and the ..
- Genetic Epidemiology of MelanomaDAVID ERIC ELDER; Fiscal Year: 2010..size, with the recruitment of new participant groups in Utah, Toronto, Tel Aviv, Latvia, Poland, Slovenia and Queensland. This application for competitive renewal of the R01 will utilize the support of the members of GenoMEL and the ..
- 12th International p53 WorkshopCarol Prives; Fiscal Year: 2006..Human Carcinogenesis, Bethesda, USA), Dr David Lane (University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland), Dr Martin Lavin (Queensland Institute Medical Research, Brisbane, Australia), Dr Arnold Levine, (Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, ..
- 13th International Campylobacter/Helicobacter workshopIrving Nachamkin; Fiscal Year: 2005..Workshop on Campylobacter, Helicobacter & Related Organisms (CHRO) from September 4-8, 2005 in Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia...
- Potential New Breast Cancer Drugs from Tropical PlantsDEBRA MORIARITY; Fiscal Year: 2003..The montane cloud forest in Monteverde, Costa Rica, the tropical rain forests in North Queensland, Australia and the tropical forest on Abaco Island, The Bahamas, contain extremely biodiverse populations of ..
- Pathways from genotype and environment to melanomaNicholas Hayward; Fiscal Year: 2005..The Australian state of Queensland has the highest incidence of melanoma in the world with lifetime incidences of 1 in 13 males and 1 in 16 females...
- MATERNAL DEPRESSION EFFECTS ON CHILD OUTCOMEPatricia Brennan; Fiscal Year: 1999..longitudinal cohort of 915 children born between 1981 and 1984 at the Mater Misericordiae Mother's Hospital in Queensland, Australia...
- USC Consortium:Colorectal Cancer Family RegistryRobert Haile; Fiscal Year: 2007..testing of the MLH1, MSH2, and MSH6\par proteins, and MMR mutation testing guided by the IHC results, and to the Queensland Institute of Medical\par Research for testing for somatic mutations in BRAF...
- HEMOCHROMATOSIS--MECHANISMS AND NOVEL THERAPIESLawrie Powell; Fiscal Year: 2004..the expertise of members of the Clinical Sciences Unit of QIMR in iron metabolism with that of x-ray crystallography and structure-based drug design studies at the Centre for Drug Design and Development in the University of Queensland.
- BIOIRON RESEARCH CONFERENCES 2001-2005Gary Brittenham; Fiscal Year: 2003..Bioiron 2001 will be held in Cairns, Queensland, Australia, from August 18 to 23, 2001. The Bioiron 2003 conference will be held in Washington, D.C...
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF SCHIZOPHRENIAJeremy Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2006..C.R. Cloninger), U. Iowa (R. Crowe), U. Colorado (R. Freedman), U. Pennsylvania (D. Levinson), U. Queensland (B. Mowry), and Mt. Sinai (J. Silverman)...
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF SCHIZOPHRENIARobert Freedman; Fiscal Year: 2006..C.R. Cloninger), U. Iowa (R. Crowe), U. Colorado (R. Freedman), U. Pennsylvania (D. Levinson), U. Queensland (B. Mowry), and Mt. Sinai (J. Silverman)...
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF SCHIZOPHRENIAWilliam Byerley; Fiscal Year: 2006..C.R. Cloninger), U. Iowa (R. Crowe), U. Colorado (R. Freedman), U. Pennsylvania (D. Levinson), U. Queensland (B. Mowry), and Mt. Sinai (J. Silverman)...
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF SCHIZOPHRENIAC Cloninger; Fiscal Year: 2006
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF SCHIZOPHRENIAFAROOQ AMIN; Fiscal Year: 2006
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF SCHIZOPHRENIARaymond Crowe; Fiscal Year: 2003
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF SCHIZOPHRENIAPablo Gejman; Fiscal Year: 2007
- AA12404 Gene expression in the human alcoholic brainRobert Harris; Fiscal Year: 2009..this work has been facilitated by a strong international collaboration with investigators from the University of Queensland, Australia...