Genomes and Genes
Summary: The geographical area of Asia comprising BORNEO; BRUNEI; CAMBODIA; INDONESIA; LAOS; MALAYSIA; the MEKONG VALLEY; MYANMAR (formerly Burma), the PHILIPPINES; SINGAPORE; THAILAND; and VIETNAM.
- Linton Y, Dusfour I, Howard T, Ruiz L F, Duc Manh N, Ho Dinh T, et al. Anopheles (Cellia) epiroticus (Diptera: Culicidae), a new malaria vector species in the Southeast Asian Sundaicus Complex. Bull Entomol Res. 2005;95:329-39 pubmed..epiroticus from A. sundaicus s.s. Information is provided on the bionomics and systematics of the new species. ..
- Beigel J, Farrar J, Han A, Hayden F, Hyer R, de Jong M, et al. Avian influenza A (H5N1) infection in humans. N Engl J Med. 2005;353:1374-85 pubmed
- Longini I, Nizam A, Xu S, Ungchusak K, Hanshaoworakul W, Cummings D, et al. Containing pandemic influenza at the source. Science. 2005;309:1083-7 pubmed..1. Combinations of targeted antiviral prophylaxis, pre-vaccination, and quarantine could contain strains with an R(0) as high as 2.4. ..
- Kao J, Chen D. Changing disease burden of hepatocellular carcinoma in the Far East and Southeast Asia. Liver Int. 2005;25:696-703 pubmed..However, prevention of HBV and HCV infections as well as effective treatment of the chronic viral infections with timely interventions are still needed for the global control of HCC, particularly in the Far East and Southeast Asia. ..
- Maegele M, Gregor S, Steinhausen E, Bouillon B, Heiss M, Perbix W, et al. The long-distance tertiary air transfer and care of tsunami victims: injury pattern and microbiological and psychological aspects. Crit Care Med. 2005;33:1136-40 pubmed..Individuals who survived their initial injuries and who were evacuated to Europe had traumatic injuries to head, chest, and limbs that were often contaminated with highly resistant bacteria. ..
- Denis F, Ranger Rogez S, Alain S, Mounier M, Debrock C, Wagner A, et al. Screening of pregnant women for hepatitis B markers in a French Provincial University Hospital (Limoges) during 15 years. Eur J Epidemiol. 2004;19:973-8 pubmed
- Huntington M, Shafer C, Pudwill R, Boer L, Kendall J. Prevalence of vitamin D deficiency among immigrants to South Dakota. S D Med. 2010;63:51-5 pubmed..Hypovitaminosis D represents a significant public health issue among recent immigrants in Minnehaha County, S.D., and warrants aggressive attention by both primary care and public health professionals. ..
- Abbas Z, Jafri W, Raza S. Hepatitis D: Scenario in the Asia-Pacific region. World J Gastroenterol. 2010;16:554-62 pubmed..Intravenous drug abusers, homosexual men and women, prostitutes, and people on hemodialysis are the groups with very high HDV prevalence...
- Muchadeyi F, Eding H, Simianer H, Wollny C, Groeneveld E, Weigend S. Mitochondrial DNA D-loop sequences suggest a Southeast Asian and Indian origin of Zimbabwean village chickens. Anim Genet. 2008;39:615-22 pubmed publisher..A third maternal lineage excluded Zimbabwean and other African chickens and clustered with haplotypes presumably originating from South China. ..
- Woodrow C, Krishna S. Antimalarial drugs: recent advances in molecular determinants of resistance and their clinical significance. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2006;63:1586-96 pubmed..Recently described emerging in vitro resistance to artemisinins in certain areas correlates with mutations in the SERCA-like sequence PfATP6 and supports PfATP6 as a key target for artemisinins. ..
- Hill C, Soares P, Mormina M, Macaulay V, Clarke D, Blumbach P, et al. A mitochondrial stratigraphy for island southeast Asia. Am J Hum Genet. 2007;80:29-43 pubmed
- See L, Shen Y, Lin S. Lower early neonatal mortality among singletons in transnational marriage families: Taiwan Birth Registry. Eur J Epidemiol. 2008;23:483-9 pubmed publisher..Selection, economic and non-economic aspects may explain the paradox of favorable early neonatal mortality outcomes. ..
- Butler C. Food security in the Asia-Pacific: Malthus, limits and environmental challenges. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2009;18:577-84 pubmed
- Kuno G. Research on dengue and dengue-like illness in East Asia and the Western Pacific during the First Half of the 20th century. Rev Med Virol. 2007;17:327-41 pubmed
- Fitzsimons M, Sparks J, Jones S, Crowley J, Dalal A, Sunder N. Anesthesia services during operation unified assistance, aboard the USNS Mercy, after the tsunami in Southeast Asia. Mil Med. 2007;172:227-31 pubmed..Anesthesiologists and certified nurse anesthetists provided care in >150 cases. We discuss the initial response, medical and cultural planning, logistical support, procedures, and lessons learned in this unique opportunity. ..
- Nakano T, Kato S, Cao J, Zhou J, Susworo R, Supriana N, et al. A regional cooperative clinical study of radiotherapy for cervical cancer in east and south-east Asian countries. Radiother Oncol. 2007;84:314-9 pubmed
- Rowcroft P. Frontiers of change: the reasons behind land-use change in the Mekong Basin. Ambio. 2008;37:213-8 pubmed
- Pattanshetti N, Gaidhane M, Al Kandari A. Root and canal morphology of the mesiobuccal and distal roots of permanent first molars in a Kuwait population--a clinical study. Int Endod J. 2008;41:755-62 pubmed publisher..The possibility of extra roots should be anticipated in mandibular molars. ..
- Small S, Tiwari G, Huser M. The cultural education of academic evaluators: lessons from a university-Hmong community partnership. Am J Community Psychol. 2006;37:357-64 pubmed..The article concludes by discussing some of the lessons learned and what they might suggest for others doing similar types of work. ..
- Katanoda K, Qiu D. International comparisons of cumulative risk of uterine cancer, from cancer incidence in five continents Vol. VIII. Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2006;36:474-5 pubmed
- Wahlqvist M, Kuo K. Securing health through food systems: an initiative of the nutrition consortium of the National Health Research Institutes in Taiwan and Asia Pacific regional partners as a network. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2009;18:472-9 pubmed..A FIHS Network is being established to further the initiative. It should form part of the broader Human Security agenda. ..
- Myint H, Ashley E, Day N, Nosten F, White N. Efficacy and safety of dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2007;101:858-66 pubmed..The dosing regimen has been simplified from four doses to once daily over 3 days. More information on efficacy in Africa, and more pharmacokinetic and efficacy data in children are needed. ..
- McPherson M, Leslie D, Sievers A, Patel M, Kelly H. Epidemiology of laboratory confirmed tuberculosis in Victoria, 1990 to 2004. Commun Dis Intell Q Rep. 2008;32:237-41 pubmed..Ongoing migration from countries with high TB incidence raises the question whether it is possible to eliminate TB from Australia and new control strategies should be considered. ..
- Stillman F, Hoang M, Linton R, Ritthiphakdee B, Trochim W. Mapping tobacco industry strategies in South East Asia for action planning and surveillance. Tob Control. 2008;17:e1 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the development of the map used a consensus building process across different stakeholders or stakeholder agencies and is critical when developing regional, cross border strategies for tracking and surveillance. ..
- Dobe M, Sinha D, Rahman K. Smokeless tobacco use and its implications in WHO South East Asia Region. Indian J Public Health. 2006;50:70-5 pubmed
- Affanni P, Veronesi L, Rizziero S, Bizzoco S, Bracchi M, Tanzi M. Status of immunity against poliomyelitis: a study among European and extra-European young immigrants living in Parma. Acta Biomed. 2005;76:157-63 pubmed..No difference was observed in the specimens with respect to the country of origin of the examined subjects and the data collected showed a good level of immunity. ..
- Lahariya C, Pradhan S. Can Southeast Asia eradicate yaws by 2010? Some lessons from the Yaws Eradication Programme of India. Natl Med J India. 2007;20:81-6 pubmed
- Kitiyakara C, Yamwong S, Cheepudomwit S, Domrongkitchaiporn S, Unkurapinun N, Pakpeankitvatana V, et al. The metabolic syndrome and chronic kidney disease in a Southeast Asian cohort. Kidney Int. 2007;71:693-700 pubmed..These results suggest the relationship between CKD and metabolic syndrome in a Southeast Asian population is highly dependent on the criteria used to define metabolic syndrome. ..
- Hill C, Soares P, Mormina M, Macaulay V, Meehan W, Blackburn J, et al. Phylogeography and ethnogenesis of aboriginal Southeast Asians. Mol Biol Evol. 2006;23:2480-91 pubmed
- Maheswaran M, Adnan W, Ahmad R, Ab Rahman N, Naing N, Abdullah J. The use of an In House Scoring System Scale versus Glasgow Coma Scale in non-traumatic altered states of consciousness patients: can it be used for triaging patients in Southeast Asian developing countries?. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2007;38:1126-40 pubmed..There was significant agreement between the IHSS scale and GCS scores in the assessment of non-traumatic ASC. The sensitivity and specificity of the IHSS score versus GCS were 71.9% and 100.0%, respectively. ..
- Vray M, Germani Y, Chan S, Duc N, Sar B, Sarr F, et al. Clinical features and etiology of pneumonia in acid-fast bacillus sputum smear-negative HIV-infected patients hospitalized in Asia and Africa. AIDS. 2008;22:1323-32 pubmed publisher..Fiberoptic bronchoscopy should be restricted to patients with clinical and/or radiological findings not suggestive of bacterial pneumonia or tuberculosis, antibiotic failure, and three consecutive negative sputum smears. ..
- Auliff A, Wilson D, Russell B, Gao Q, Chen N, Anh L, et al. Amino acid mutations in Plasmodium vivax DHFR and DHPS from several geographical regions and susceptibility to antifolate drugs. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2006;75:617-21 pubmed..Parasites with the S58R/S117N dhfr allelic type showed an MIC level for pyrimethamine and cycloguanil comparable to that previously reported, but were susceptible to WR99210. ..
- Jensen J, Raab W. Clinical field testing of vulcanized Jaipur rubber feet for trans-tibial amputees in low-income countries. Prosthet Orthot Int. 2006;30:225-36 pubmed..2006b). Failures were mostly related to skin fracture and gliding between sponge rubber layers of the heel block. ..
- Aggarwal P, Aggarwal A, Gupta S, Misra R. Osteopenia is common in adult male patients with active juvenile idiopathic arthritis. J Rheumatol. 2006;33:1642-5 pubmed..This finding may be attributed to use of Caucasian normative data, uncontrolled disease activity, severity of disease, poor nutritional status, or an ethnic variation. ..
- Qiu D, Tanaka S. International comparisons of cumulative risk of skin cancer, from Cancer Incidence in Five Continents Vol. VIII. Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2006;36:533-4 pubmed
- Lee C, Huxley R, Lam T, Martiniuk A, Ueshema H, Pan W, et al. Prevalence of diabetes mellitus and population attributable fractions for coronary heart disease and stroke mortality in the WHO South-East Asia and Western Pacific regions. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2007;16:187-92 pubmed..Accurate estimates of the prevalence of diabetes are of great importance and standard methods are needed for periodic surveillance across the Asia-Pacific region and elsewhere. ..
- Hayashida A, Endo H, Sasaki M, Oshida T, Kimura J, Waengsothorn S, et al. Geographical variation in skull morphology of gray-bellied squirrel Callosciurus caniceps. J Vet Med Sci. 2007;69:149-57 pubmed..We suggest that the sympatric distribution of N and S groups and the hybrid of N and S populations may be seen in these localities of M group. ..
- Moffatt S, Mackintosh J. Older people's experience of proactive welfare rights advice: qualitative study of a South Asian community. Ethn Health. 2009;14:5-25 pubmed publisher..To do otherwise will exacerbate existing income and health inequalities. ..
- Suchindran S, Brouwer E, Van Rie A. Is HIV infection a risk factor for multi-drug resistant tuberculosis? A systematic review. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5561 pubmed publisher..Future well-designed studies and surveillance in all regions of the world are needed to better clarify the relationship between HIV infection and MDR-TB. ..
- Rabah R. Health issues in the Arab American community. Summary report: treating HIV/AIDS. Ethn Dis. 2007;17:S3-100-S3-101 pubmed
- Siwak E, Kowalczuk Kot A, Pogorzelska J. [Malaria and HIV co-infection]. Wiad Parazytol. 2006;52:9-11 pubmed..This problem is extremely important in relation to pregnant women because of possibility of mother to child transmission. The available options are reviewed in the paper. ..
- Smith G, Naipospos T, Nguyen T, de Jong M, Vijaykrishna D, Usman T, et al. Evolution and adaptation of H5N1 influenza virus in avian and human hosts in Indonesia and Vietnam. Virology. 2006;350:258-68 pubmed..Our study provides insight into the ongoing evolution of H5N1 influenza viruses that are transmitting in diverse avian species and at the interface between avian and human hosts. ..
- Sinha S, Mishra S, Sharma S, Patibandla P, Mallick P, Sharma S, et al. Polymorphisms of TNF-enhancer and gene for FcgammaRIIa correlate with the severity of falciparum malaria in the ethnically diverse Indian population. Malar J. 2008;7:13 pubmed publisher..The data emphasizes the need for addressing the contribution of human genetic factors in malaria in the context of disease epidemiology and population genetic substructure within India. ..
- Nguyen Q, Naguib R, Abd Ghani M, Bali R, Lee I. An analysis of the healthcare informatics and systems in Southeast Asia: a current perspective from seven countries. Int J Electron Healthc. 2008;4:184-207 pubmed..An analysis of the state-of-the-art healthcare infrastructure is also given, along with a critical appraisal of national healthcare provisions. ..
- Harris D, Li W. Cockpit design and cross-cultural issues underlying failures in crew resource management. Aviat Space Environ Med. 2008;79:537-8 pubmed..However, this commentary argues that the design of modern flight decks and their standard operating procedures have an inherent Western (low power-distance) bias within them which exacerbates these CRM issues. ..
- Islam N, Kwon S, Senie R, Kathuria N. Breast and cervical cancer screening among South Asian women in New York City. J Immigr Minor Health. 2006;8:211-21 pubmed..S. was a predictor of ever practicing BSE. The study concludes that increased educational efforts must be developed targeting immigrant South Asian women of low socioeconomic status with limited access to healthcare. ..
- van Maaren P. Fighting the tuberculosis epidemic in the Western Pacific region: current situation and challenges ahead. Kekkaku. 2010;85:9-16 pubmed..The slow response in the most affected countries in the Region is a cause for concern. Strong commitment by national governments and their partners is needed to sustain and further strengthen the current TB control efforts. ..
- Wiwanitkit V. Genetic disorders and malaria in Indo-China region. J Vector Borne Dis. 2008;45:98-104 pubmed..In this report, general aspects of some important genetic disorders and malaria in Indo-China area (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam, Yunnan and Manipur) are summarized and discussed. ..
- Brammer H. Mitigation of arsenic contamination in irrigated paddy soils in South and South-East Asia. Environ Int. 2009;35:856-63 pubmed publisher..These measures include providing alternative irrigation sources, various agronomic measures, use of soil amendments, growing hyperaccumulator plants, removing contaminated soil and using alternative cooking methods. ..
- Friel S, Baker P. Equity, food security and health equity in the Asia Pacific region. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2009;18:620-32 pubmed..These are matters of economic and social policy at the global, regional and national level. ..