- An epidemic of enterovirus 71 infection in Taiwan. Taiwan Enterovirus Epidemic Working Group
National Health Research Institutes, Taipei, Taiwan
N Engl J Med 341:929-35. 1999
..In 1998 an epidemic of enterovirus 71 infection caused hand-foot-and-mouth disease and herpangina in thousands of people in Taiwan, some of whom died.
- A 10-year experience with universal health insurance in Taiwan: measuring changes in health and health disparity
Chi Pang Wen
Center for Health Policy Research and Development, National Health Research Institutes, Zhunan, Taiwan
Ann Intern Med 148:258-67. 2008
..national health insurance, financed jointly by payroll taxes, subsidies, and individual premiums, commenced in Taiwan in 1995. Coverage expanded from 57% of the population (before the introduction of national health insurance) to 98%...
- All-cause mortality attributable to chronic kidney disease: a prospective cohort study based on 462 293 adults in Taiwan
Chi Pang Wen
Center for Health Policy Research and Development, National Health Research Institutes, Zhunan, Taiwan
Lancet 371:2173-82. 2008
..We assessed prevalence and mortality risks for all stages of chronic kidney disease and quantified its attributable mortality in Taiwan.
- Reemergence of enterovirus 71 in 2008 in taiwan: dynamics of genetic and antigenic evolution from 1998 to 2008
Sheng Wen Huang
Department of Medical Laboratory Science and Biotechnology, National Cheng Kung University, One University Road, Tainan, 701, Taiwan
J Clin Microbiol 47:3653-62. 2009
..The reemergence in Taiwan of EV71 genotype B5 in 2008 resulted in the largest outbreak of EV71 in Taiwan in the past 11 years...
- Anti-diabetic properties of three common Bidens pilosa variants in Taiwan
Shih Chang Chien
Agricultural Biotechnology Research Center, Academia Sinica, Taiwan, ROC
Phytochemistry 70:1246-54. 2009
..pilosa L. var. minor (BPM) are common variants of a plant often used as a folk remedy for diabetes in Taiwan. However, the three variants are often misidentified and little is known about their relative anti-diabetic ..
- A prospective community-population-registry based cohort study of the association between betel-quid chewing and cardiovascular disease in men in Taiwan (KCIS no. 19)
Amy Ming Fang Yen
Institute of Preventive Medicine, College of Public Health, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Am J Clin Nutr 87:70-8. 2008
- Does universal health insurance make health care unaffordable? Lessons from Taiwan
Jui Fen Rachel Lu
Dcpartment of Health Care Management, Chang Gung University, Tao Yuan, Taiwan
Health Aff (Millwood) 22:77-88. 2003
This paper examines the performance of Taiwan's National Health Insurance (NHI), a universal health insurance program, implemented in 1995, that covers comprehensive services...
- Inorganic arsenic exposure and its relation to metabolic syndrome in an industrial area of Taiwan
Shu Li Wang
Division of Environmental Health and Occupational Medicine, National Health Research Institutes, Taiwan, ROC
Environ Int 33:805-11. 2007
..The authors recruited 660 age and gender stratified random population of residents in central Taiwan during 2002-2003...
- Aflatoxin B1 exposure, hepatitis B virus infection, and hepatocellular carcinoma in Taiwan
Hui Chen Wu
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Mailman School of Public Health of Columbia University, 630 West 168th Street, RM19 418, New York, NY 10032, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18:846-53. 2009
..However, in this larger study, the effect of combined AFB1 exposure and HBV infection is more consistent with an additive than a multiplicative model...
- Evolution of EV71 genogroup in Taiwan from 1998 to 2005: an emerging of subgenogroup C4 of EV71
Kuei Hsiang Lin
Department of Clinical Laboratory, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan
J Med Virol 78:254-62. 2006
In Taiwan, enterovirus 71 (EV71) has played an important role in severe enterovirus-related cases every year since the devastating outbreak in 1998...
- Drug utilization pattern of Chinese herbal medicines in a general hospital in Taiwan
L C Chen
Department of Pharmacy, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 14:651-7. 2005
..The present study was the first clinical research to evaluate the drug utilization patterns of Chinese herbal medicines in a general hospital in Taiwan.
- Enterovirus 71 from fatal and nonfatal cases of hand, foot and mouth disease epidemics in Malaysia, Japan and Taiwan in 1997-1998
Department of Virology II, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Tokyo 208 0011, Japan
Jpn J Infect Dis 52:12-5. 1999
..In 1997, in Malaysia and Japan, and in 1998 in Taiwan, there were HFMD epidemics involving sudden deaths among young children, and EV71 was isolated from the HFMD ..
- Quality of life of lung cancer patients: validation of the Taiwan Chinese version of the EORTC QLQ-C30 and QLQ-LC13
Wei Chu Chie
School of Public Health and Graduate Institute of Preventive Medicine, College of Public Health, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Qual Life Res 13:257-62. 2004
The purpose of this study was to test the validity and reliability of the Taiwan Chinese translation of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaire Core-30 (EORTC QLQ-C30, version 3) and ..
- Prospective randomized controlled trial to evaluate effectiveness of registered dietitian-led diabetes management on glycemic and diet control in a primary care setting in Taiwan
Meng Chuan Huang
Department of Public Health, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Diabetes Care 33:233-9. 2010
..dietitian-led management of diabetes on glycemic control and macronutrient intake in type 2 diabetic patients in primary care clinics in Taiwan and studied the association between changes in macronutrient intake and glycemic measures.
- Chronic daily headache in Taipei, Taiwan: prevalence, follow-up and outcome predictors
S R Lu
Neurological Institute, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Cephalalgia 21:980-6. 2001
We conducted a two-stage population-based headache survey among subjects aged > or = 15 in Taipei, Taiwan. Subjects with chronic daily headache (CDH) in the past year were identified, interviewed and followed-up...
- Risk factors of enterovirus 71 infection and associated hand, foot, and mouth disease/herpangina in children during an epidemic in Taiwan
Luan Yin Chang
Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Department of Pediatrics, Chang Gung Children s Hospital, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Pediatrics 109:e88. 2002
In 1998, an enterovirus 71 (EV71) epidemic in Taiwan was associated with hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)/herpangina and involved 78 fatal cases...
- Weather as an effective predictor for occurrence of dengue fever in Taiwan
Pei Chih Wu
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, 138 Sheng Li Road, Tainan 70428, Taiwan, ROC
Acta Trop 103:50-7. 2007
..of weather variability on the occurrence of dengue fever in a major metropolitan city, Kaohsiung, in southern Taiwan using time-series analysis...
- Epidemiologic features of Kawasaki disease in Taiwan, 2003-2006
Wen Chan Huang
Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Department of Pediatrics, National Taiwan University Hospital, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, No 7, Chung Shan South Road, Taipei 100, Taiwan
Pediatrics 123:e401-5. 2009
Kawasaki disease is the leading cause of acquired heart disease in children worldwide. This study characterizes the epidemiology of Kawasaki disease in Taiwan between 2003 and 2006.
- Epidemiological features of CKD in Taiwan
Hsin Wei Kuo
Institute of Public Health, College of Health Sciences, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung County, Taiwan
Am J Kidney Dis 49:46-55. 2007
The incidence of end-stage renal disease (ESRD) in Taiwan is the highest in the world. However, epidemiological features of earlier chronic kidney disease (CKD) have not been investigated.
- Age-related risk of mortality from bladder cancer in diabetic patients: a 12-year follow-up of a national cohort in Taiwan
Chin Hsiao Tseng
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, No 7 Chung Shan South Road, Taipei, Taiwan
Ann Med 41:371-9. 2009
..To compare bladder cancer mortality between diabetic patients and the general population...
- Gender differences in relationships between social capital and individual smoking and drinking behavior in Taiwan
Ying Chih Chuang
Graduate Institute of Public Health, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
Soc Sci Med 67:1321-30. 2008
..assesses gender differences in the relationships between social capital and smoking and drinking behavior in Taiwan. Data on individual sociodemographic characteristics, smoking, drinking, and social capital were obtained from the ..
- End-stage renal disease in Taiwan: a case-control study
Su Ying Tsai
Department of Health Management, I Shou University, Yanchao Township, Kaohsiung County, Taiwan R O C
J Epidemiol 19:169-76. 2009
b>Taiwan has the highest incidence of end-stage renal disease (ESRD) in the world. The epidemiologic features of ESRD, however, have not been investigated...
- Diagnosis and treatment delay among pulmonary tuberculosis patients identified using the Taiwan reporting enquiry system, 2002-2006
Hui Ping Lin
Community Medicine Research Center and Institute of Public Health, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
BMC Public Health 9:55. 2009
The tuberculosis reporting enquiry system was launched in Taiwan in 2001. Tuberculosis has been categorized as the third most important notifiable disease in Taiwan and the time required for reporting has been shortened to 7 days.
- Association between tobacco smoking and active tuberculosis in Taiwan: prospective cohort study
Hsien Ho Lin
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 180:475-80. 2009
- Enterovirus 71 maternal antibodies in infants, Taiwan
Shu Ting Luo
National Health Research Institutes, Zhunan Miaoli, Taiwan
Emerg Infect Dis 15:581-4. 2009
..Approximately 50% of neonates had detectable EV71 neutralizing antibodies, which declined to almost undetectable levels by 6 months of age...
- Epidemiology of scrub typhus in eastern Taiwan, 2000-2004
Yeong Sheng Lee
The Sixth Branch Office, Center for Disease Control, Taipei, Taiwan
Jpn J Infect Dis 59:235-8. 2006
The epidemiology of scrub typhus in eastern Taiwan was studied by analyzing the data from the CDC Web reporting system. A total of 1,396 cases with 403 confirmed cases were reported in the period of 2000 to 2004...
- Pediatricians' role in caring for preschool children in Taiwan under the national health insurance program
Ming Chih Lin
Institute of Preventive Medicine, National Taiwan University, School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, and Department of Pediatrics, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
J Formos Med Assoc 108:849-55. 2009
The National Health Insurance (NHI) covers more than 98% of the 22 million people in Taiwan. Referral is not mandated, therefore, competition among specialties exists in caring for preschool children...
- Survival analysis: comparing peritoneal dialysis and hemodialysis in Taiwan
Chiu Ching Huang
Department of Medicine and Biostatistics Center, China Medical University, Taiwan
Perit Dial Int 28:S15-20. 2008
..The present study estimated the survival and the relative mortality hazard for HD and PD patients in Taiwan.
- Urbanization and stroke prevalence in Taiwan: analysis of a nationwide survey
Herng Ching Lin
School of Health Care Administration, Taipei Medical University, 250 Wu Hsing St, Taipei, 110, Taiwan
J Urban Health 84:604-14. 2007
..A total sample of 9,794 individuals was obtained from a nationwide survey on Taiwan for subsequent analysis in this study...
- Prescription pattern of traditional Chinese medicine for climacteric women in Taiwan
Y H Yang
Institute of Occupational Medicine and Industrial Hygiene, National Taiwan University College of Public Health, Taipei
Climacteric 12:541-7. 2009
Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) has become more popular as a therapy for symptom relief among menopause-aged women. The aim of this study was to analyze the utilization of TCM for climacteric women in Taiwan.
- Cancer potential in liver, lung, bladder and kidney due to ingested inorganic arsenic in drinking water
C J Chen
Institute of Public Health, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, ROC
Br J Cancer 66:888-92. 1992
..using mortality rates among residents in an endemic area of chronic arsenicism on the southwest coast of Taiwan, and the Armitage-Doll multistage model...
- Prevalence of melioidosis in the Er-Ren River Basin, Taiwan: implications for transmission
Hsun Pi Su
Centers for Disease Control, Department of Health Taiwan Institute of Veterinary Microbiology, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan
J Clin Microbiol 45:2599-603. 2007
An increase in melioidosis cases compared to other areas in Taiwan was observed in the Er-Ren River Basin, southwestern Taiwan, from November 2001 to August 2006...
- Change of major genotype of enterovirus 71 in outbreaks of hand-foot-and-mouth disease in Taiwan between 1998 and 2000
Jen Ren Wang
Institute of Molecular Medicine, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
J Clin Microbiol 40:10-5. 2002
Two outbreaks of hand-foot-and-mouth disease (HFMD) occurred in Taiwan between 1998 and 2000. Enteroviruses were isolated from a total of 1,892 patients in this laboratory during this period...
- Epidemiologic features of hand-foot-mouth disease and herpangina caused by enterovirus 71 in Taiwan, 1998-2005
Kow Tong Chen
Department of Public Health, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan No 1, University Road, Tainan, Taiwan
Pediatrics 120:e244-52. 2007
In 1998, an epidemic of hand-foot-mouth disease/herpangina was caused by human enterovirus 71 infection in Taiwan. The underlying factors of widespread emergence of viral infection are unclear...
- Dementia in Taiwan: past, present, and future
Jong Ling Fuh
Neurological Institute, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Acta Neurol Taiwan 17:153-61. 2008
..1% in 1980 to 10.2% in 2007. Studies on the Taiwan population have shown that the prevalence of dementia is approximately 1.7 - 4...
- Seroprevalence of antibodies to pandemic (H1N1) 2009 influenza virus among hospital staff in a medical center in Taiwan
Yu Jiun Chan
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Chin Med Assoc 73:62-6. 2010
- An eight-year study of epidemiologic features of enterovirus 71 infection in Taiwan
Shou Chien Chen
Department of Family Medicine, Taipei City Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Am J Trop Med Hyg 77:188-91. 2007
In 1998, an epidemic of enterovirus 71 (EV 71) infection occurred in Taiwan. The purpose of this study was to assess the epidemiology of EV 71 infection in Taiwan...
- Pyogenic liver abscess as endemic disease, Taiwan
Feng Chiao Tsai
National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1592-600. 2008
..We therefore performed a nationwide analysis of pyogenic liver abscess in Taiwan from 1996 through 2004...
- Long-term arsenic exposure and incidence of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: a cohort study in arseniasis-hyperendemic villages in Taiwan
C H Tseng
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Environ Health Perspect 108:847-51. 2000
Diabetes prevalence in arseniasis-hyperendemic villages in Taiwan has been reported to be significantly higher than in the general population...
- Hyperuricemia as a risk factor on cardiovascular events in Taiwan: The Chin-Shan Community Cardiovascular Cohort Study
Kuo Liong Chien
Institute of Preventive Medicine, School of Public Health, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Atherosclerosis 183:147-55. 2005
..We concluded that uric acid, in the baseline and time-dependent variables, could predict cardiovascular events in the community of relatively low CHD but high stroke risk in Taiwan.
- High frequency of epidermal growth factor receptor mutations with complex patterns in non-small cell lung cancers related to gefitinib responsiveness in Taiwan
Shiu Feng Huang
Division of Molecular and Genomic Medicine, National Health Research Institutes, Taipei, Taiwan
Clin Cancer Res 10:8195-203. 2004
..Detection of EGFR mutations has become an important issue for therapeutic decision-making in non-small cell lung cancer...
- Mortality and causes of death in a national sample of diabetic patients in Taiwan
Chin Hsiao Tseng
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Diabetes Care 27:1605-9. 2004
..To determine the mortality rate, causes of death, and standardized mortality ratio (SMR) in Taiwanese diabetic patients...
- Combinational polymorphisms of four DNA repair genes XRCC1, XRCC2, XRCC3, and XRCC4 and their association with oral cancer in Taiwan
Ching Yu Yen
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Chi Mei Medical Center, Tainan, and School of Dentistry, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Oral Pathol Med 37:271-7. 2008
..In this study, we focused on the joint effect for SNP combinations of four DNA repair genes, X-ray repair cross-complementing groups (XRCCs) 1-4, involved in major cancer-related pathways...
- Detecting Epstein-Barr virus DNA from peripheral blood mononuclear cells in adult patients with systemic lupus erythematosus in Taiwan
Shan Fu Yu
Department of Internal Medicine, Kaohsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Niao Sung Hsiang, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Med Microbiol Immunol 194:115-20. 2005
..In this case-control study in Taiwan, we enrolled 87 SLE patients and 174 age- and sex-matched controls...
- The prescribing of Chinese herbal products in Taiwan: a cross-sectional analysis of the national health insurance reimbursement database
Shu Ching Hsieh
Division of Health Technology Assessment, Center for Drug Evaluation, Taipei, Taiwan
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 17:609-19. 2008
..However, the scientific evidence is lacking and there is an urgent requirement for detailed pharmacoepidemiological information on CHP usage. This study was to investigate CHP prescription patterns in Taiwan.
- Enterovirus 71 in Taiwan
Luan Yin Chang
Department of Pediatrics, National Taiwan University Hospital, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Pediatr neonatol 49:103-12. 2008
The enterovirus 71 (EV71) outbreak in Taiwan in 1998 proved fatal in many children...
- Higher temperature and urbanization affect the spatial patterns of dengue fever transmission in subtropical Taiwan
Pei Chih Wu
Department of Occupational Safety and Health, Chang Jung Christian University, 396 Chang Jung Rd, Sec 1, Kway Jen, Tainan 71101, Taiwan, ROC
Sci Total Environ 407:2224-33. 2009
..and to forecast areas with potential risk for dengue fever endemics with predicted climatic change in Taiwan. Geographic information system (GIS) was used to demonstrate the spatial patterns of all studied variables across ..
- Genetic polymorphisms of glutathione S-transferases M1 and T1 associated with susceptibility to aflatoxin-related hepatocarcinogenesis among chronic hepatitis B carriers: a nested case-control study in Taiwan
C A Sun
School of Public Health, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
Carcinogenesis 22:1289-94. 2001
..HBsAg-positive controls on age, gender, residence and date of recruitment from the same cancer screening cohort in Taiwan. Blood samples were tested for hepatitis B and C viral markers by enzyme immunoassay and for aflatoxin B(1) (AFB(1)..
- Optimal cut-off values for obesity: using simple anthropometric indices to predict cardiovascular risk factors in Taiwan
W Y Lin
Obesity Research Group, Department of Family Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 26:1232-8. 2002
..To determine the optimal cut-off values for overweight or obesity in Taiwan, we examined the relationships between four anthropometric indices and cardiovascular risk factors.
- An internet-based interactive telemonitoring system for improving childhood asthma outcomes in Taiwan
Ren Long Jan
Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan, Republic of China
Telemed J E Health 13:257-68. 2007
..The Internet-based asthma telemonitoring program increases selfmanagement skills, improves asthma outcomes, and appears to be an effective and well-accepted technology for the care of children with asthma and their caregivers...
- Prevalence of obesity and metabolic syndrome in Taiwan
Lee Ching Hwang
Department of Family Medicine, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Formos Med Assoc 105:626-35. 2006
Obesity and metabolic syndrome (MS) are major risk factors for the development of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases (CVD). This study estimated the prevalence of obesity and MS in Taiwan.
- Capsular serotype K1 or K2, rather than magA and rmpA, is a major virulence determinant for Klebsiella pneumoniae liver abscess in Singapore and Taiwan
Kuo Ming Yeh
Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
J Clin Microbiol 45:466-71. 2007
..the correlation of capsular serotype, magA, and rmpA with virulence, 73 isolates were collected in Singapore and Taiwan. Capsular serotypes were determined by countercurrent immunoelectrophoresis, the presence of magA and rmpA was ..
- Incidence and case-fatality rates resulting from the 1998 enterovirus 71 outbreak in Taiwan
Chun Yi Lu
Department of Pediatrics, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taiwan
J Med Virol 67:217-23. 2002
In 1998, an epidemic of hand-foot-and-mouth disease and herpangina caused by enterovirus 71 occurred in Taiwan, leaving many fatalities and severely handicapped survivors in its wake...
- A sustained virological response to interferon or interferon/ribavirin reduces hepatocellular carcinoma and improves survival in chronic hepatitis C: a nationwide, multicentre study in Taiwan
Ming Lung Yu
Hepatobiliary Division, Department of Internal Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Antivir Ther 11:985-94. 2006
- An outbreak of enterovirus 71 infection in Taiwan, 1998: epidemiologic and clinical manifestations
C C Liu
Department of Pediatrics, National Cheng Kung University Hospital, 138 Sheng Li Road, Tainan, Taiwan, ROC
J Clin Virol 17:23-30. 2000
An outbreak of enterovirus infections occurred throughout Taiwan in 1998. The diseases were manifectated with hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD), some associated with meningitis, encephalitis, or acute flaccid paralysis (AFP).
- Epidemiological survey of enterovirus infections occurring in Taiwan between 2000 and 2005: analysis of sentinel physician surveillance data
Fan Chen Tseng
Division of Clinical Research, National Health Research Institutes, Tainan, Taiwan
J Med Virol 79:1850-60. 2007
..Over 700 physicians from 75% of basic administrative units of Taiwan participated in the "Sentinel Physician Surveillance of Infectious Disease" and reported weekly to the ..
- Association of HLA class I and II alleles and extended haplotypes with nasopharyngeal carcinoma in Taiwan
Environmental Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, 6120 Executive Boulevard, Rm 7062, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 94:1780-9. 2002
..We used high-resolution HLA genotyping in a case-control study in Taiwan to systematically evaluate the association between various HLA alleles and NPC.
- Prevalence and health/social impacts of functional dyspepsia in Taiwan: a study based on the Rome criteria questionnaire survey assisted by endoscopic exclusion among a physical check-up population
Ching Liang Lu
Division of Gastroenterology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Scand J Gastroenterol 40:402-11. 2005
..The aims of this study were to determine the prevalence, social impact, and health-seeking behaviors of FD in an apparently healthy Chinese population in Taiwan.
- Universal screening for biliary atresia using an infant stool color card in Taiwan
Cheng Hui Hsiao
Department of Pediatrics, Cardinal Tien Hospital Yung Ho Branch, Taipei, Taiwan
Hepatology 47:1233-40. 2008
..was established by integrating the infant stool color card into the child health booklet given to every neonate in Taiwan since 2004...
- Incidence of transitional cell carcinoma and arsenic in drinking water: a follow-up study of 8,102 residents in an arseniasis-endemic area in northeastern Taiwan
H Y Chiou
School of Public Health, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
Am J Epidemiol 153:411-8. 2001
..between ingested arsenic and bladder cancer has been reported in an arseniasis-endemic area in southwestern Taiwan, where many households share only a few wells in their villages...
- Determinants of peripheral arterial stiffness in patients with chronic kidney disease in southern Taiwan
Jui Hsin Chen
Department of Nursing, Kaohsiung Municipal Hsiao Kang Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical University, Faculty of Renal Care, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 25:366-73. 2009
..However, these have not been assessed in Taiwan where the prevalence of CKD is high...
- Effects of Asian dust storm events on hospital admissions for congestive heart failure in Taipei, Taiwan
Chun Yuh Yang
Faculty of Public Health, College of Health Sciences, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Toxicol Environ Health A 72:324-8. 2009
..assess the possible associations of PM(10) with hospital admissions for congestive heart failure (CHF) in Taipei, Taiwan, during the period from 1996 to 2001...
- Historical review of pandemic influenza A in Taiwan, 2009
Tzong Shiann Ho
Department of Emergency Medicine, National Cheng Kung University and Hospital, Tainan, Taiwan
Pediatr neonatol 51:83-8. 2010
..In Taiwan, mistrust of the influenza vaccination has also caused significant social impacts towards the end of 2009...
- International study on antidepressant prescription pattern at 20 teaching hospitals and major psychiatric institutions in East Asia: Analysis of 1898 cases from China, Japan, Korea, Singapore and Taiwan
Fukuoka University College of Medicine, Fukuoka, Japan
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 61:522-8. 2007
..The survey was conducted in China, Japan, Korea, Singapore and Taiwan from October 2003 to March 2004 using the unified research protocol and questionnaire...
- Molecular epidemiology of HCV genotypes among injection drug users in Taiwan: Full-length sequences of two new subtype 6w strains and a recombinant form_2b6w
Yuan Ming Lee
AIDS Prevention and Research Center, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Med Virol 82:57-68. 2010
..HIV-1) circulating recombinant form (CRF) 07_BC strain has caused serious outbreaks among injection drug users in Taiwan since 2004...
- Oral cancer and genetic polymorphism of DNA double strand break gene Ku70 in Taiwan
Da Tian Bau
Terry Fox Cancer Research Laboratory, Department of Medical Research, China Medical University Hospital, 2 Yuh Der Road, Taichung 404, Taiwan
Oral Oncol 44:1047-51. 2008
..with oral cancer and 318 age- and gender-matched healthy controls recruited from the China Medical Hospital in Taiwan were genotyped...
- An accurate risk score for estimation 5-year risk of type 2 diabetes based on a health screening population in Taiwan
Department of Epidemiology and Bio statistics, School of Public Health, Peking University Health Science Center, Haidian District, Beijing, China
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 85:228-34. 2009
This study aimed to provide the epidemiological model evaluating the risk of developing type 2 diabetes (T2DM) in Taiwan periodic health-check population...
- Frequent recovery of a single clonal type of multidrug-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from patients in two hospitals in Taiwan and China
M Aires de Sousa
Laboratorio de Genetica Molecular, Instituto de Tecnologia Química e Biológica da Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Oeiras, Portugal
J Clin Microbiol 41:159-63. 2003
..aureus infections between January 1998 and February 1999 in two hospitals, one located in Taipei, Taiwan, and another in Nanjing, People's Republic of China, were examined for antibiotic susceptibility and for clonal ..
- Changing molecular epidemiology of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bloodstream isolates from a teaching hospital in Northern Taiwan
Yhu Chering Huang
Division of Pediatrics Infectious Diseases, Chang Gung Children s Hospital, Taoyuan, Taiwan
J Clin Microbiol 44:2268-70. 2006
..methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) bloodstream isolates from a university-affiliated hospital in Taiwan during a 4-year interval was demonstrated...
- Disaster epidemiology and medical response in the Chi-Chi earthquake in Taiwan
N J Liang
Graduate Institute of Life Sciences, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
Ann Emerg Med 38:549-55. 2001
STUDY OBJECTIVE: We examine the mortality and morbidity associated with earthquakes in the Chi-Chi earthquake in Taiwan in 1999...
- Association between rmpA and magA genes and clinical syndromes caused by Klebsiella pneumoniae in Taiwan
Wen Liang Yu
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Chi Mei Medical Center, Yungkang City, Tainan, Taiwan
Clin Infect Dis 42:1351-8. 2006
..phenotype relevant to the pathogenesis of Klebsiella pneumoniae liver abscess has been reported in Taiwan. Similarly, the rmpA gene, known as a positive regulator of extracapsular polysaccharide synthesis that confers a ..
- Philippine mitochondrial DNA diversity: a populated viaduct between Taiwan and Indonesia?
Kristina A Tabbada
DNA Analysis Laboratory, Natural Sciences Research Institute, University of the Philippines Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
Mol Biol Evol 27:21-31. 2010
..B4a1a subclade including the Polynesian Motif, is consistent with southward dispersal of these lineages "Out of Taiwan" via the Philippines to Near Oceania and Polynesia...
- Clinicopathological analysis of 598 malignant lymphomas in Taiwan: seven-year experience in a single institution
Ming Yuan Lee
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Services, Koo Foundation Sun Yat Sen Cancer Center, Taipei, Taiwan
Am J Hematol 81:568-75. 2006
..of this study is to determine the distribution and clinicopathological characteristics of malignant lymphomas in Taiwan. Archival tissue from 598 malignant lymphomas during the period of 1995-2002 was retrieved...
- SNPs of GSTM1, T1, P1, epoxide hydrolase and DNA repair enzyme XRCC1 and risk of urinary transitional cell carcinoma in southwestern Taiwan
Ling I Hsu
Genomics Research Center, Academia Sinica, 128 Academia Road Section 2, Nankang, Taipei, Taiwan
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 228:144-55. 2008
..case-control study was conducted near a former black-foot disease (BFD)-endemic area in southwestern Taiwan to examine the possible risk factors and genetic susceptibility for urinary transitional cell carcinoma (TCC)...
- Expression of hypoxia-inducible factor-1 alpha is significantly associated with the progression and prognosis of oral squamous cell carcinomas in Taiwan
Pin Yi Lin
Graduate Institute of Clinical Dentistry, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Oral Pathol Med 37:18-25. 2008
..Overexpression of hypoxia-inducible factor-1 alpha (HIF-1 alpha) has been found to be significantly associated with the tumor invasion, lymph node metastasis, clinical stage, and prognosis of a variety of human cancers...
- Analysis of manpower and career characteristics of nurse anesthetists in Taiwan: results of a cross-sectional survey of 113 institutes
Wen Jan Dai
Department of Anesthesiology, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, R O C
Acta Anaesthesiol Taiwan 47:189-95. 2009
Manpower and the quality of nurse anesthetists (NA) have become critical concerns in Taiwan over the past few decades because of increasing clinical demand and the supervision of NAs by anesthesiologists...
- High incidence of the cardiac variant of Fabry disease revealed by newborn screening in the Taiwan Chinese population
Hsiang Yu Lin
Institute of Clinical Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Circ Cardiovasc Genet 2:450-6. 2009
..Fabry disease is a treatable lysosomal storage disorder, which is often misdiagnosed or belatedly diagnosed...
- Determinants of cognitive impairment over time among the elderly in Taiwan: results of the national longitudinal study
Chi Hua Yen
Institute of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, No 110 sec 1, Chien Kuo N Rd, Taichung 402, Taiwan
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 50:S53-7. 2010
This study aimed to identify the risk factors for cognitive impairment among the elderly population in Taiwan. Data were drawn from three waves of the "Survey of Health and Living Status of the Elderly in Taiwan", a national longitudinal ..
- Prevalence and etiology of elevated serum alanine aminotransferase level in an adult population in Taiwan
Chien Hua Chen
Digestive Disease Center, Changhua Show Chwan Memorial Hospital, Changhua, Taiwan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:1482-9. 2007
..etiologies of elevated alanine aminotransferase (ALT) have geographic variations and they are rarely reported in Taiwan. Through a population-based screening study, the prevalence and etiologies of elevated ALT in an adult population ..
- Frequency and pattern of Chinese herbal medicine prescriptions for chronic hepatitis in Taiwan
Fang Pey Chen
Center for Traditional Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, National Yang Ming University School of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
J Ethnopharmacol 117:84-91. 2008
..Chinese herbal medicine (CHM) has been commonly used in treating liver diseases in Asian countries...
- Phylogeny and phylogeography of the genus Geothelphusa (Crustacea: Decapoda, Brachyura, Potamidae) in southwestern Taiwan based on two mitochondrial genes
Hsi Te Shih
Department of Life Science, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan
Zoolog Sci 24:57-66. 2007
Eleven species of Geothelphusa have been reported from southwestern Taiwan (Tainan, Kaohsiung and the northern part of Pingtung counties): G. albogilva Shy, Ng, and Yu, 1994; G. ancylophallus Shy, Ng, and Yu, 1994; G...
- HIV-1 in Taiwan
Yi Ming Arthur Chen
AIDS Prevention and Research Center and Institute of Public Health, National Yang Ming University, 112 Taipei, Taiwan
Lancet 369:623-5. 2007
- Genetic and pathogenic characterization of H6N1 avian influenza viruses isolated in Taiwan between 1972 and 2005
Min Shiuh Lee
Department of Veterinary Medicine, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan
Avian Dis 50:561-71. 2006
..reports the genetic and pathogenic characteristics of 34 isolates of H6N1 avian influenza viruses isolated in Taiwan between 1972 and 2005...
- Cytokine (IL-6) and chemokine (IL-8) gene polymorphisms among rheumatoid arthritis patients in Taiwan
S F Lo
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, China Medical University Hospital, Taiwan
Clin Exp Rheumatol 26:632-7. 2008
..The aim of this study was to examine whether -572 G/C polymorphism in the IL-6 gene and 2767 A/G polymorphism in the 3'-untranslated region (UTR) of the IL-8 gene are associated with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Molecular characterization of dengue viruses imported into Taiwan during 2003-2007: geographic distribution and genotype shift
Pei Yun Shu
Research and Diagnostic Center, Centers for Disease Control, Department of Health, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:1039-46. 2009
We presented our surveillance results on imported dengue cases in Taiwan during 2003-2007. A total of 542 imported dengue patients were identified...
- Evolution of dengue virus type 2 during two consecutive outbreaks with an increase in severity in southern Taiwan in 2001-2002
Hui Ling Chen
Institute of Microbiology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:495-505. 2008
..14 dengue fever, 17 dengue hemorrhagic fever, DHF) continuously during the 2001 and 2002 outbreaks in southern Taiwan, in which both the total cases and proportion of DHF cases increased...
- Epidemiology of human papillomavirus infection and cervical cancer and future perspectives in Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan
Sun Kuie Tay
Gynaecologic Oncology Section, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Singapore General Hospital and National Cancer Centre Singapore, Singapore
Vaccine 26:M60-70. 2008
Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan are three island states that are newly emerged affluent economic areas in Asia. The majority of the populations are ethnically Chinese with a total population of 6.98, 4.5 and 23 million, respectively...
- Incidence of the mucopolysaccharidoses in Taiwan, 1984-2004
Hsiang Yu Lin
Institute of Clinical Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Am J Med Genet A 149:960-4. 2009
..An epidemiological study of the MPS disorders in Taiwan using multiple ascertainment sources was undertaken, and incidences of different types of MPS during the period of ..
- Urinary arsenic methylation capability and carotid atherosclerosis risk in subjects living in arsenicosis-hyperendemic areas in southwestern Taiwan
Ya Li Huang
Department of Public Health, School of Medicine, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
Sci Total Environ 407:2608-14. 2009
..drinking well water is associated with carotid atherosclerosis in the Blackfoot Disease (BFD)-hyperendemic area in Taiwan. The current study examined the arsenic methylation capacity and its risk on carotid atherosclerosis...
- Novel ATP13A2 variant associated with Parkinson disease in Taiwan and Singapore
C H Lin
Department of Neurology, National Taiwan University Hospital, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Neurology 71:1727-32. 2008
..To assess the association of ATP13A2 gene mutation among patients with early onset Parkinson disease (EOPD, onset < 50 years) in ethnic Chinese population...
- Clinical impact of Mycobacterium tuberculosis W-Beijing genotype strain infection on aged patients in Taiwan
Jia Yih Feng
Chest Department, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Clin Microbiol 46:3127-9. 2008
..No significant difference in the treatment outcome was found between the W-Beijing and non-W-Beijing groups. However, a poor outcome was more common in the elderly patients (>or=65 years) infected with the W-Beijing strain...
- Genome scan of Han Chinese schizophrenia families from Taiwan: confirmation of linkage to 10q22.3
Stephen V Faraone
Department of Psychiatry, SUNY Upstate Medical University, 750 East Adams St, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
Am J Psychiatry 163:1760-6. 2006
..To address this issue, the authors ascertained 606 Han Chinese families comprising 1,234 affected members...
- Metabolic factors and risk of hepatocellular carcinoma by chronic hepatitis B/C infection: a follow-up study in Taiwan
Chi Ling Chen
Graduate Institute of Clinical Medicine, College of Medicine, College of Public Health, National Taiwan University, Taipei
Gastroenterology 135:111-21. 2008
- Obesity pandemic, correlated factors and guidelines to define, screen and manage obesity in Taiwan
W H Pan
Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
Obes Rev 9:22-31. 2008
The prevalence of obesity and associated chronic diseases has increased rapidly in Taiwan. Data from three consecutive Nutrition and Health surveys in Taiwan show that obesity prevalence has tripled for elementary school boys and doubled ..
- Prevalence and associated risk factors of age-related macular degeneration in an elderly Chinese population in Taiwan: the Shihpai Eye Study
Shih Jen Chen
Department of Ophthalmology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:3126-33. 2008
To assess the prevalence and associated risk factors of age-related macular degeneration (AMD) in an elderly Chinese population in Taiwan.
- Programmed death-1 gene polymorphisms in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus in Taiwan
Shu Chen Wang
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Clin Immunol 26:506-11. 2006
..of programmed cell death-1 (PD-1) gene polymorphisms in the development of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) in Taiwan, 109 patients with SLE and 100 healthy controls were enrolled in this study...
- An open-label, randomized, active-controlled equivalent trial of osmotic release oral system methylphenidate in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in Taiwan
Susan Shur Fen Gau
Department of Psychiatry, National Taiwan University Hospital and College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 16:441-55. 2006
..compared with immediate-release MPH (IR MPH) in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in Taiwan. Sixty-four children with Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th edition (DSM-IV) ADHD, ages 6-..
- Financial incentives do not always work: an example of cesarean sections in Taiwan
Joan C Lo
Institute of Economics and Center for Institution and Behavior Studies, Research Center for Humanities and Social Science, Academia Sinica, Nankang, Taipei, Taiwan
Health Policy 88:121-9. 2008
..To test the hypothesis that cesarean sections are less likely to be performed after equalizing the fees for vaginal births and cesarean sections...
- Thiazolidinediones and cardiovascular events in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a retrospective cohort study of over 473,000 patients using the National Health Insurance database in Taiwan
Fei Yuan Hsiao
Institute of Health and Welfare Policy Center for Health and Welfare Policy Research, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Drug Saf 32:675-90. 2009
- Evaluation of internal consistency and re-test reliability of Bath ankylosing spondylitis indices in a large cohort of adult and juvenile spondylitis patients in Taiwan
James Cheng Chung Wei
Institute of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
Clin Rheumatol 26:1685-91. 2007
..Thus, disease activity and functional status in Chinese-speaking patients with AS may be adequately evaluated with these versions of the original instruments...
- Increased risk of QT prolongation associated with atherosclerotic diseases in arseniasis-endemic area in southwestern coast of Taiwan
Chih Hao Wang
Department of Cardiology, Cardinal Tien Hospital, College of Medicine, Fu Jen Catholic University, Taipei, Taiwan
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 239:320-4. 2009
..We studied 280 men and 355 women living in the endemic area of arseniasis in southwestern Taiwan. QT intervals in electrocardiogram and carotid intima-media thickness (IMT) by ultrasonography were measured...