- An epidemic of enterovirus 71 infection in Taiwan. Taiwan Enterovirus Epidemic Working Group
National Health Research Institutes, Taipei, Taiwan
N Engl J Med 341:929-35. 1999
..In 1998 an epidemic of enterovirus 71 infection caused hand-foot-and-mouth disease and herpangina in thousands of people in Taiwan, some of whom died.
- Seroprevalence of antibodies to pandemic (H1N1) 2009 influenza virus among hospital staff in a medical center in Taiwan
Yu Jiun Chan
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Chin Med Assoc 73:62-6. 2010
- Optimal cut-off values for obesity: using simple anthropometric indices to predict cardiovascular risk factors in Taiwan
Obesity Research Group, Department of Family Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 26:1232-8. 2002
..To determine the optimal cut-off values for overweight or obesity in Taiwan, we examined the relationships between four anthropometric indices and cardiovascular risk factors...
- Reemergence of enterovirus 71 in 2008 in taiwan: dynamics of genetic and antigenic evolution from 1998 to 2008
Sheng Wen Huang
Department of Medical Laboratory Science and Biotechnology, National Cheng Kung University, One University Road, Tainan, 701, Taiwan
J Clin Microbiol 47:3653-62. 2009
..The reemergence in Taiwan of EV71 genotype B5 in 2008 resulted in the largest outbreak of EV71 in Taiwan in the past 11 years...
- An accurate risk score for estimation 5-year risk of type 2 diabetes based on a health screening population in Taiwan
Department of Epidemiology and Bio statistics, School of Public Health, Peking University Health Science Center, Haidian District, Beijing, China
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 85:228-34. 2009
This study aimed to provide the epidemiological model evaluating the risk of developing type 2 diabetes (T2DM) in Taiwan periodic health-check population...
- Frequent recovery of a single clonal type of multidrug-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from patients in two hospitals in Taiwan and China
M Aires de Sousa
, , Oeiras, Portugal
J Clin Microbiol 41:159-63. 2003
..aureus infections between January 1998 and February 1999 in two hospitals, one located in Taipei, Taiwan, and another in Nanjing, People's Republic of China, were examined for antibiotic susceptibility and for clonal ..
- Oral cancer and genetic polymorphism of DNA double strand break gene Ku70 in Taiwan
Da Tian Bau
Terry Fox Cancer Research Laboratory, Department of Medical Research, China Medical University Hospital, 2 Yuh Der Road, Taichung 404, Taiwan
Oral Oncol 44:1047-51. 2008
..with oral cancer and 318 age- and gender-matched healthy controls recruited from the China Medical Hospital in Taiwan were genotyped...
- Molecular epidemiology of HCV genotypes among injection drug users in Taiwan: Full-length sequences of two new subtype 6w strains and a recombinant form_2b6w
Yuan Ming Lee
AIDS Prevention and Research Center, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Med Virol 82:57-68. 2010
..HIV-1) circulating recombinant form (CRF) 07_BC strain has caused serious outbreaks among injection drug users in Taiwan since 2004...
- Philippine mitochondrial DNA diversity: a populated viaduct between Taiwan and Indonesia?
Kristina A Tabbada
DNA Analysis Laboratory, Natural Sciences Research Institute, University of the Philippines Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
Mol Biol Evol 27:21-31. 2010
..subclade including the Polynesian Motif, is consistent with southward dispersal of these lineages "Out of Taiwan" via the Philippines to Near Oceania and Polynesia...
- Disaster epidemiology and medical response in the Chi-Chi earthquake in Taiwan
N J Liang
Graduate Institute of Life Sciences, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
Ann Emerg Med 38:549-55. 2001
STUDY OBJECTIVE: We examine the mortality and morbidity associated with earthquakes in the Chi-Chi earthquake in Taiwan in 1999...
- Association between rmpA and magA genes and clinical syndromes caused by Klebsiella pneumoniae in Taiwan
Wen Liang Yu
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Chi Mei Medical Center, Yungkang City, Tainan, Taiwan
Clin Infect Dis 42:1351-8. 2006
..phenotype relevant to the pathogenesis of Klebsiella pneumoniae liver abscess has been reported in Taiwan. Similarly, the rmpA gene, known as a positive regulator of extracapsular polysaccharide synthesis that confers a ..
- Changing molecular epidemiology of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bloodstream isolates from a teaching hospital in Northern Taiwan
Yhu Chering Huang
Division of Pediatrics Infectious Diseases, Chang Gung Children s Hospital, Taoyuan, Taiwan
J Clin Microbiol 44:2268-70. 2006
..methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) bloodstream isolates from a university-affiliated hospital in Taiwan during a 4-year interval was demonstrated...
- Enterovirus 71 from fatal and nonfatal cases of hand, foot and mouth disease epidemics in Malaysia, Japan and Taiwan in 1997-1998
Department of Virology II, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Tokyo 208 0011, Japan
Jpn J Infect Dis 52:12-5. 1999
..In 1997, in Malaysia and Japan, and in 1998 in Taiwan, there were HFMD epidemics involving sudden deaths among young children, and EV71 was isolated from the HFMD ..
- Evolution of EV71 genogroup in Taiwan from 1998 to 2005: an emerging of subgenogroup C4 of EV71
Kuei Hsiang Lin
Department of Clinical Laboratory, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan
J Med Virol 78:254-62. 2006
In Taiwan, enterovirus 71 (EV71) has played an important role in severe enterovirus-related cases every year since the devastating outbreak in 1998...
- Change of major genotype of enterovirus 71 in outbreaks of hand-foot-and-mouth disease in Taiwan between 1998 and 2000
Jen Ren Wang
Institute of Molecular Medicine, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
J Clin Microbiol 40:10-5. 2002
Two outbreaks of hand-foot-and-mouth disease (HFMD) occurred in Taiwan between 1998 and 2000. Enteroviruses were isolated from a total of 1,892 patients in this laboratory during this period...
- Clinicopathological analysis of 598 malignant lymphomas in Taiwan: seven-year experience in a single institution
Ming Yuan Lee
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Services, Koo Foundation Sun Yat Sen Cancer Center, Taipei, Taiwan
Am J Hematol 81:568-75. 2006
..of this study is to determine the distribution and clinicopathological characteristics of malignant lymphomas in Taiwan. Archival tissue from 598 malignant lymphomas during the period of 1995-2002 was retrieved...
- Genome scan of Han Chinese schizophrenia families from Taiwan: confirmation of linkage to 10q22.3
Stephen V Faraone
Department of Psychiatry, SUNY Upstate Medical University, 750 East Adams St, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
Am J Psychiatry 163:1760-6. 2006
..To address this issue, the authors ascertained 606 Han Chinese families comprising 1,234 affected members...
- Metabolic factors and risk of hepatocellular carcinoma by chronic hepatitis B/C infection: a follow-up study in Taiwan
Chi Ling Chen
Graduate Institute of Clinical Medicine, College of Medicine, College of Public Health, National Taiwan University, Taipei
Gastroenterology 135:111-21. 2008
- Expression of hypoxia-inducible factor-1 alpha is significantly associated with the progression and prognosis of oral squamous cell carcinomas in Taiwan
Pin Yi Lin
Graduate Institute of Clinical Dentistry, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Oral Pathol Med 37:18-25. 2008
..Overexpression of hypoxia-inducible factor-1 alpha (HIF-1 alpha) has been found to be significantly associated with the tumor invasion, lymph node metastasis, clinical stage, and prognosis of a variety of human cancers...
- Programmed death-1 gene polymorphisms in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus in Taiwan
Shu Chen Wang
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Clin Immunol 26:506-11. 2006
..of programmed cell death-1 (PD-1) gene polymorphisms in the development of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) in Taiwan, 109 patients with SLE and 100 healthy controls were enrolled in this study...
- Higher temperature and urbanization affect the spatial patterns of dengue fever transmission in subtropical Taiwan
Pei Chih Wu
Department of Occupational Safety and Health, Chang Jung Christian University, 396 Chang Jung Rd, Sec 1, Kway Jen, Tainan 71101, Taiwan, ROC
Sci Total Environ 407:2224-33. 2009
..and to forecast areas with potential risk for dengue fever endemics with predicted climatic change in Taiwan. Geographic information system (GIS) was used to demonstrate the spatial patterns of all studied variables across ..
- Pyogenic liver abscess as endemic disease, Taiwan
Feng Chiao Tsai
National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1592-600. 2008
..We therefore performed a nationwide analysis of pyogenic liver abscess in Taiwan from 1996 through 2004...
- Epidemiology of human papillomavirus infection and cervical cancer and future perspectives in Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan
Sun Kuie Tay
Gynaecologic Oncology Section, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Singapore General Hospital and National Cancer Centre Singapore, Singapore
Vaccine 26:M60-70. 2008
Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan are three island states that are newly emerged affluent economic areas in Asia. The majority of the populations are ethnically Chinese with a total population of 6.98, 4.5 and 23 million, respectively...
- Prevalence and etiology of elevated serum alanine aminotransferase level in an adult population in Taiwan
Chien Hua Chen
Digestive Disease Center, Changhua Show Chwan Memorial Hospital, Changhua, Taiwan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:1482-9. 2007
..etiologies of elevated alanine aminotransferase (ALT) have geographic variations and they are rarely reported in Taiwan. Through a population-based screening study, the prevalence and etiologies of elevated ALT in an adult population ..
- A large-scale survey of genetic copy number variations among Han Chinese residing in Taiwan
Chien Hsing Lin
Department of Life Sciences and Institute of Genome Sciences, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
BMC Genet 9:92. 2008
..The CNIT algorithm, which was constructed using data from 270 HapMap multi-ethnic individuals, was applied to identify CNVs from 300 unrelated Han Chinese individuals in Taiwan.
- Cytokine (IL-6) and chemokine (IL-8) gene polymorphisms among rheumatoid arthritis patients in Taiwan
S F Lo
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, China Medical University Hospital, Taiwan
Clin Exp Rheumatol 26:632-7. 2008
..The aim of this study was to examine whether -572 G/C polymorphism in the IL-6 gene and 2767 A/G polymorphism in the 3'-untranslated region (UTR) of the IL-8 gene are associated with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- All-cause mortality attributable to chronic kidney disease: a prospective cohort study based on 462 293 adults in Taiwan
Chi Pang Wen
Center for Health Policy Research and Development, National Health Research Institutes, Zhunan, Taiwan
Lancet 371:2173-82. 2008
..We assessed prevalence and mortality risks for all stages of chronic kidney disease and quantified its attributable mortality in Taiwan.
- Novel ATP13A2 variant associated with Parkinson disease in Taiwan and Singapore
C H Lin
Department of Neurology, National Taiwan University Hospital, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Neurology 71:1727-32. 2008
..To assess the association of ATP13A2 gene mutation among patients with early onset Parkinson disease (EOPD, onset < 50 years) in ethnic Chinese population...
- Clinical impact of Mycobacterium tuberculosis W-Beijing genotype strain infection on aged patients in Taiwan
Jia Yih Feng
Chest Department, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Clin Microbiol 46:3127-9. 2008
..No significant difference in the treatment outcome was found between the W-Beijing and non-W-Beijing groups. However, a poor outcome was more common in the elderly patients (>or=65 years) infected with the W-Beijing strain...
- An open-label, randomized, active-controlled equivalent trial of osmotic release oral system methylphenidate in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in Taiwan
Susan Shur-Fen Gau
Department of Psychiatry, National Taiwan University Hospital and College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 16:441-55. 2006
..compared with immediate-release MPH (IR MPH) in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in Taiwan. Sixty-four children with Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th edition (DSM-IV) ADHD, ages 6-..
- Evolution of dengue virus type 2 during two consecutive outbreaks with an increase in severity in southern Taiwan in 2001-2002
Hui Ling Chen
Institute of Microbiology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:495-505. 2008
..14 dengue fever, 17 dengue hemorrhagic fever, DHF) continuously during the 2001 and 2002 outbreaks in southern Taiwan, in which both the total cases and proportion of DHF cases increased...
- Urinary arsenic methylation capability and carotid atherosclerosis risk in subjects living in arsenicosis-hyperendemic areas in southwestern Taiwan
Ya Li Huang
Department of Public Health, School of Medicine, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
Sci Total Environ 407:2608-14. 2009
..drinking well water is associated with carotid atherosclerosis in the Blackfoot Disease (BFD)-hyperendemic area in Taiwan. The current study examined the arsenic methylation capacity and its risk on carotid atherosclerosis...
- Financial incentives do not always work: an example of cesarean sections in Taiwan
Joan C Lo
Institute of Economics and Center for Institution and Behavior Studies, Research Center for Humanities and Social Science, Academia Sinica, Nankang, Taipei, Taiwan
Health Policy 88:121-9. 2008
..To test the hypothesis that cesarean sections are less likely to be performed after equalizing the fees for vaginal births and cesarean sections...
- Thiazolidinediones and cardiovascular events in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a retrospective cohort study of over 473,000 patients using the National Health Insurance database in Taiwan
Fei Yuan Hsiao
Institute of Health and Welfare Policy Center for Health and Welfare Policy Research, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Drug Saf 32:675-90. 2009
- Phylogeny and phylogeography of the genus Geothelphusa (Crustacea: Decapoda, Brachyura, Potamidae) in southwestern Taiwan based on two mitochondrial genes
Hsi Te Shih
Department of Life Science, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan
Zoolog Sci 24:57-66. 2007
Eleven species of Geothelphusa have been reported from southwestern Taiwan (Tainan, Kaohsiung and the northern part of Pingtung counties): G. albogilva Shy, Ng, and Yu, 1994; G. ancylophallus Shy, Ng, and Yu, 1994; G...
- HIV-1 in Taiwan
Yi-Ming Arthur Chen
AIDS Prevention and Research Center and Institute of Public Health, National Yang-Ming University, 112 Taipei, Taiwan
Lancet 369:623-5. 2007
- Analysis of manpower and career characteristics of nurse anesthetists in Taiwan: results of a cross-sectional survey of 113 institutes
Wen Jan Dai
Department of Anesthesiology, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, R O C
Acta Anaesthesiol Taiwan 47:189-95. 2009
Manpower and the quality of nurse anesthetists (NA) have become critical concerns in Taiwan over the past few decades because of increasing clinical demand and the supervision of NAs by anesthesiologists...
- High incidence of the cardiac variant of Fabry disease revealed by newborn screening in the Taiwan Chinese population
Hsiang Yu Lin
Institute of Clinical Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Circ Cardiovasc Genet 2:450-6. 2009
..Fabry disease is a treatable lysosomal storage disorder, which is often misdiagnosed or belatedly diagnosed...
- Prevalence and associated risk factors of age-related macular degeneration in an elderly Chinese population in Taiwan: the Shihpai Eye Study
Shih Jen Chen
Department of Ophthalmology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:3126-33. 2008
To assess the prevalence and associated risk factors of age-related macular degeneration (AMD) in an elderly Chinese population in Taiwan.
- Determinants of cognitive impairment over time among the elderly in Taiwan: results of the national longitudinal study
Chi Hua Yen
Institute of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, No 110 sec 1, Chien Kuo N Rd, Taichung 402, Taiwan
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 50:S53-7. 2010
This study aimed to identify the risk factors for cognitive impairment among the elderly population in Taiwan. Data were drawn from three waves of the "Survey of Health and Living Status of the Elderly in Taiwan", a national ..
- Frequency and pattern of Chinese herbal medicine prescriptions for chronic hepatitis in Taiwan
Fang Pey Chen
Center for Traditional Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, National Yang Ming University School of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
J Ethnopharmacol 117:84-91. 2008
..Chinese herbal medicine (CHM) has been commonly used in treating liver diseases in Asian countries...
- Increased risk of QT prolongation associated with atherosclerotic diseases in arseniasis-endemic area in southwestern coast of Taiwan
Chih Hao Wang
Department of Cardiology, Cardinal Tien Hospital, College of Medicine, Fu Jen Catholic University, Taipei, Taiwan
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 239:320-4. 2009
..We studied 280 men and 355 women living in the endemic area of arseniasis in southwestern Taiwan. QT intervals in electrocardiogram and carotid intima-media thickness (IMT) by ultrasonography were measured...
- Evaluation of internal consistency and re-test reliability of Bath ankylosing spondylitis indices in a large cohort of adult and juvenile spondylitis patients in Taiwan
James Cheng Chung Wei
Institute of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
Clin Rheumatol 26:1685-91. 2007
..Thus, disease activity and functional status in Chinese-speaking patients with AS may be adequately evaluated with these versions of the original instruments...
- Incidence of the mucopolysaccharidoses in Taiwan, 1984-2004
Hsiang Yu Lin
Institute of Clinical Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Am J Med Genet A 149:960-4. 2009
..An epidemiological study of the MPS disorders in Taiwan using multiple ascertainment sources was undertaken, and incidences of different types of MPS during the period of ..
- Genetic and pathogenic characterization of H6N1 avian influenza viruses isolated in Taiwan between 1972 and 2005
Department of Veterinary Medicine, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan
Avian Dis 50:561-71. 2006
..reports the genetic and pathogenic characteristics of 34 isolates of H6N1 avian influenza viruses isolated in Taiwan between 1972 and 2005...
- Obesity pandemic, correlated factors and guidelines to define, screen and manage obesity in Taiwan
W H Pan
Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
Obes Rev 9:22-31. 2008
The prevalence of obesity and associated chronic diseases has increased rapidly in Taiwan. Data from three consecutive Nutrition and Health surveys in Taiwan show that obesity prevalence has tripled for elementary school boys and doubled ..
- Molecular characterization of dengue viruses imported into Taiwan during 2003-2007: geographic distribution and genotype shift
Pei Yun Shu
Research and Diagnostic Center, Centers for Disease Control, Department of Health, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:1039-46. 2009
We presented our surveillance results on imported dengue cases in Taiwan during 2003-2007. A total of 542 imported dengue patients were identified...
- SNPs of GSTM1, T1, P1, epoxide hydrolase and DNA repair enzyme XRCC1 and risk of urinary transitional cell carcinoma in southwestern Taiwan
Ling I Hsu
Genomics Research Center, Academia Sinica, 128 Academia Road Section 2, Nankang, Taipei, Taiwan
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 228:144-55. 2008
..case-control study was conducted near a former black-foot disease (BFD)-endemic area in southwestern Taiwan to examine the possible risk factors and genetic susceptibility for urinary transitional cell carcinoma (TCC)...
- Epidemiologic features of hand-foot-mouth disease and herpangina caused by enterovirus 71 in Taiwan, 1998-2005
Kow Tong Chen
Department of Public Health, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan No 1, University Road, Tainan, Taiwan
Pediatrics 120:e244-52. 2007
In 1998, an epidemic of hand-foot-mouth disease/herpangina was caused by human enterovirus 71 infection in Taiwan. The underlying factors of widespread emergence of viral infection are unclear...
- Enterovirus 71 maternal antibodies in infants, Taiwan
Shu Ting Luo
National Health Research Institutes, Zhunan Miaoli, Taiwan
Emerg Infect Dis 15:581-4. 2009
..Approximately 50% of neonates had detectable EV71 neutralizing antibodies, which declined to almost undetectable levels by 6 months of age...
- Epidemiologic features of Kawasaki disease in Taiwan, 1996-2002
Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Department of Pediatrics, National Taiwan University Hospital, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Pediatrics 114:e678-82. 2004
..However, the incidence of KD in Taiwan has not been well investigated...
- Prevalence of obesity in Taiwan
N F Chu
Department of Community Medicine, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
Obes Rev 6:271-4. 2005
In Taiwan, the prevalence and problem of obesity has increased significantly in recent decades and has became an important public health issue...
- Potential refugia in Taiwan revealed by the phylogeographical study of Castanopsis carlesii Hayata (Fagaceae)
Institute of Plant Biology, National Taiwan University, Taipei 106, Taiwan
Mol Ecol 14:2075-85. 2005
..carlesii Hayata (Fagaceae), a subtropical and temperate tree species, including 201 individuals sampled throughout Taiwan. By sequencing two cpDNA fragments using universal primers (the trnL intron and the trnV-trnM intergenic spacer), ..
- Phylogenetic analysis of classical swine fever virus in Taiwan
C H Pan
Department of Hog Cholera, Animal Health Research Institute, Council of Agriculture, Taipei, Taiwan
Arch Virol 150:1101-19. 2005
..virus (CSFV) were amplified by RT-PCR and sequenced directly from 158 specimens collected between 1989 and 2003 in Taiwan. Phylogenetic analysis of the two regions revealed a similar tree topology and the Erns region provided better ..
- High frequency of unusual gastric/duodenal ulcers in patients with Behçet's disease in Taiwan: a possible correlation of MHC molecules with the development of gastric/duodenal ulcers
Section of Allergy, Immunology and Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, DaLin TzuChi Buddhist Hospital, City of ChiaYi, Taiwan, Republic of China
Clin Rheumatol 24:516-20. 2005
..The objective of this study was to assess the severity of gastric/duodenal involvement in BD patients in Taiwan. Behçet's disease was diagnosed according to the diagnostic criteria issued by the International Study Group for ..
- Home-administered fecal occult blood test for colorectal cancer screening among worksites in Taiwan
Su I Hou
Department of Health Promotion and Behavior, The University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Prev Med 38:78-84. 2004
..This study assessed the perceived acceptance, difficulty level, and screening efficacy of home-administered fecal occult blood test (FOBT) among a Chinese population...
- The Gln-Arg 191 polymorphism of the human paraoxonase gene is not associated with the risk of coronary artery disease among Chinese in Taiwan
Y L Ko
The First Cardiovascular Division, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Atherosclerosis 141:259-64. 1998
..The association of PON1-191 polymorphism genotypes and coronary artery disease (CAD) among Chinese subjects in Taiwan was examined...
- Incidence and cofactors of hepatitis C virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma: a prospective study of 12,008 men in Taiwan
Chien An Sun
School of Public Health, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
Am J Epidemiol 157:674-82. 2003
..hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection and lifestyle habits, on the incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) in Taiwan. At baseline recruitment, subjects were evaluated with regard to second-generation HCV antibody (anti-HCV), ..
- Antigenic divergence of Bordetella pertussis isolates in Taiwan
Laboratory for Bacteriology and Mycology, Center for Research and Diagnostics, Taipei, Taiwan
J Clin Microbiol 43:5457-61. 2005
..We collected 80 Bordetella pertussis isolates in Taiwan from 1998 to 2004 and analyzed them using a combination of pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) and sequencing ..
- Current patterns of irritable bowel syndrome in Taiwan: the Rome II questionnaire on a Chinese population
Division of Gastroenterology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taiwan
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 18:1159-69. 2003
..impact of irritable bowel syndrome as well as the health-seeking behaviour of irritable bowel syndrome patients in Taiwan METHODS: Using the modified Rome II questionnaire, a survey was carried out in a population receiving physical ..
- Epidemiologic study of the prevalence and severity of myopia among schoolchildren in Taiwan in 2000
L L Lin
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine and Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Formos Med Assoc 100:684-91. 2001
..nationwide survey was performed in 2000 to determine the prevalence and severity of myopia among schoolchildren in Taiwan and to compare these findings with the results of the last survey performed in 1995...
- An outbreak of enterovirus 71 infection in Taiwan, 1998: epidemiologic and clinical manifestations
C C Liu
Department of Pediatrics, National Cheng Kung University Hospital, 138 Sheng Li Road, Tainan, Taiwan, ROC
J Clin Virol 17:23-30. 2000
An outbreak of enterovirus infections occurred throughout Taiwan in 1998. The diseases were manifectated with hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD), some associated with meningitis, encephalitis, or acute flaccid paralysis (AFP).
- Visual outcomes and associated risk factors of cataract surgeries in highly myopic Taiwanese
Ching Yao Tsai
Community Medicine Research Center, Institute of Public Health, and Department of Social Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Ophthalmologica 222:130-5. 2008
- Prevalence of concomitant atherosclerotic arterial diseases in patients with significant cervical carotid artery stenosis in Taiwan
Yen Wen Wu
Cardiology Section, Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital and National Taiwan University College of Medicine, No 7, Chung Shan South Rd, Taipei 10002, Taiwan, ROC
Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 23:433-9. 2007
Atherosclerotic stenosis of extracranial carotid arteries is an important cause of ischemic stroke in Taiwan, an ethnic Chinese population...
- Dietary factors associated with hyperuricemia in adults
Kuang Hui Yu
Division of Rheumatology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University, Tao Yuan, Taiwan, Republic of China
Semin Arthritis Rheum 37:243-50. 2008
..Although diet has long been assumed to be associated with hyperuricemia, the association between diet and hyperuricemia remains to be verified...
- Pigment epithelium-derived factor gene Met72Thr polymorphism is associated with increased risk of wet age-related macular degeneration
Jane Ming Lin
Department of Ophthalmology, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
Am J Ophthalmol 145:716-721. 2008
To investigate the Met72Thr (T/C) polymorphism (rs1136287) of pigment epithelium-derived factor (PEDF) gene exon 3 in unrelated Taiwan Chinese patients with late age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and control subjects without AMD.
- Herbal therapy is associated with the risk of CKD in adults not using analgesics in Taiwan
Jinn Yuh Guh
Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Am J Kidney Dis 49:626-33. 2007
b>Taiwan has the greatest incidence rate of end-stage renal disease in the world. Several cases of Chinese herb nephropathy were reported in Taiwan...
- Characteristics of primary rhegmatogenous retinal detachment in Taiwan
S C Chou
Department of Ophthalmology, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Eye (Lond) 21:1056-61. 2007
To investigate the epidemiological characteristics and related risk factors for primary rhegmatogenous retinal detachment (RRD) in Taiwan.
- Survey of quality of life and related risk factors for a Taiwanese village population 3 years post-earthquake
Department of Community Psychiatry, Kai-Suan Psychiatric Hospital, Kaohsiung, and Department of Nursing, I-Shou University 1, Taiwan
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 40:355-61. 2006
..The persistence of long-term economic problems was one of many important factors affecting QOL...
- Cytokine gene polymorphisms in Chinese patients with psoriasis
Y T Chang
Department of Dermatology, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Br J Dermatol 156:899-905. 2007
..Previous studies have shown that cytokine gene polymorphisms may confer susceptibility to psoriasis...
- Self-care management and risk factors for depressive symptoms among Taiwanese institutionalized older persons
Yun Fang Tsai
School of Nursing, Chang Gung University, Tao Yuan, Taiwan
Nurs Res 56:124-31. 2007
..Depression in the elderly has become a serious healthcare issue worldwide, but studies of self-care strategies and risk factors for depressive symptoms are limited...
- Cardiovascular events associated with the use of four nonselective NSAIDs (etodolac, nabumetone, ibuprofen, or naproxen) versus a cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor (celecoxib): a population-based analysis in Taiwanese adults
Weng Foung Huang
Institute of Health and Welfare Policy, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Clin Ther 28:1827-36. 2006
..However, few studies are available that have compared the risk for CVEs between COX-2 inhibitors and nonselective NSAIDs in adults undergoing long-term treatment...
- Subgenotypes of hepatitis B virus genotype C do not correlate with disease progression of chronic hepatitis B in Taiwan
Tai Chung Tseng
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, National Taiwan University College of Medicine and National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Liver Int 27:983-8. 2007
..Hepatitis B virus (HBV) genotype C (HBV/C) has two subgenotypes: HBV/Cs and Ce. The prevalence and clinical implications of subgenotype Cs and Ce in Taiwanese HBV carriers remain unknown...
- A common genetic factor for Parkinson disease in ethnic Chinese population in Taiwan
Hon Chung Fung
Department of Neurology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and College of Medicine, Chang Gung University, 199 Tung Hwa North Road, Taipei, 10591, Taiwan
BMC Neurol 6:47. 2006
..Recently, a common LRRK2 variant Gly2385Arg was reported in ethnic Chinese PD population in Taiwan. We analyzed the frequency of this variant in our independent PD case-control population of Han Chinese from Taiwan...
- Prevalence and risk factors of gallstone disease in an adult population of Taiwan: an epidemiological survey
Digestive Disease Center, Show-Chwan Memorial Hospital, Changhua, Taiwan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 21:1737-43. 2006
..this study was to determine the prevalence and risk factors of gallstone disease (GSD) in an adult population of Taiwan through a population-based screening study...
- Epidemiologic features of infective endocarditis in Taiwanese adults involving native valves
Cheng Han Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, National Cheng Kung University Hospital, Tainan, Taiwan
Am J Cardiol 100:1282-5. 2007
..epidemiologic features and in-hospital mortality associated with IE in adults (age > or =18 years) based on Taiwan's National Health Insurance database from 1997 through 2002...
- Psychologically abusive behavior by those caring for the elderly in a domestic context
Department of Nursing, National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan
Geriatr Nurs 27:284-91; quiz 292. 2006
..Analytical results provide important information for medical and social interventions and policies for improving the quality of life of elderly people...
- Clinical characteristics and risk factors for mortality in Morganella morganii bacteremia
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital-Kaohsiung Medical Center, Kaohsiung Hsien, Taiwan
J Microbiol Immunol Infect 39:328-34. 2006
..CONCLUSIONS: M. morganii bacteremia frequently occurred secondary to urinary tract or hepatobiliary tract infection, and was associated with a high mortality rate, especially for those not receiving appropriate antibiotic therapy...
- Behavioral and psychological symptoms in Taiwanese patients with Alzheimer's disease
Chia Yih Liu
Department of Psychiatry, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and Institute of Clinical Behavioral Sciences, Chang Gung University, Taiwan
Int Psychogeriatr 19:605-13. 2007
..To investigate the prevalence of and risk factors for behavioral and psychological symptoms in Taiwanese Alzheimer's disease (AD) patients...
- Depressive symptoms among older residents at nursing homes in Taiwan
Pao Chen Lin
Department of Nursing, Chung Hwa College of Medical Technology, Tainan, Taiwan, ROC
J Clin Nurs 16:1719-25. 2007
..To examine the depressive symptoms of older residents at nursing homes and the relationship between their depressive symptoms and certain selected variables...
- Prevalence of and risk factors for gallbladder polyps detected by ultrasonography among healthy Chinese: analysis of 34 669 cases
Wey Ran Lin
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 23:965-9. 2008
..This study analyzes the prevalence and factors associated with GB polyps in a Chinese population who can afford a paid general checkup...
- Influence of diabetes mellitus on deep neck infection
H T Lin
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Shin Kong Wu Ho Su Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Laryngol Otol 120:650-4. 2006
..To investigate the influence of hyperglycaemia on deep neck infection (DNI) and the differences between the diabetic and non-diabetic form of DNI...
- Nasal patency measured by acoustic rhinometry in East Asian patients with sleep-disordered breathing
Shih An Liu
Department of Otolaryngology, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, No 160, Taichung 40705, Taiwan, Republic of China
Am J Rhinol 20:274-7. 2006
..However, the relationship between nasal patency and sleep-disordered breathing remains controversial. The aim of this study was to examine the association between acoustic rhinometry findings and results of overnight polysomnography...
- Association of androgenetic alopecia with smoking and its prevalence among Asian men: a community-based survey
Lin Hui Su
Department of Dermatology, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Arch Dermatol 143:1401-6. 2007
..To evaluate the association of androgenetic alopecia (AGA) with smoking and to estimate its prevalence among Asian men...
- Prevalence of overweight and obesity and its associated factors in aboriginal Taiwanese: findings from the 2001 National Health Interview Survey in Taiwan
Ching Sung Ho
Department of Healthcare Administration, Asia University, 500 Liufeng Rd, Wufeng, Taichung, Taiwan
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 16:572-9. 2007
..in-home, face-to-face, interviews on 6,592 households (26,658 persons) of a national probability sample in Taiwan. Aborigine-dense mountainous areas are over-sampled. BMI values were used to indicate obesity status...
- Analysis of mastoid findings at surgery to treat middle ear cholesteatoma
Department of Otolaryngology, Chung-Ho Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 132:1307-10. 2006
..The surgeon should bear in mind that the location of FND with cholesteatoma coincides with the most common area of iatrogenic facial nerve injury during otologic surgery...
- Carcinoma and dysplasia in oral leukoplakias in Taiwan: prevalence and risk factors
School of Dentistry, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 101:472-80. 2006
OBJECTIVES: The issue of existence of malignancy within oral leukoplakia has seldom been addressed in Taiwan. The aims of this study were to investigate the prevalence of carcinoma and dysplasia within oral leukoplakia at the time of ..
- Hyperuricemia and gout in Taiwan: results from the Nutritional and Health Survey in Taiwan (1993-96)
H Y Chang
Division of Health Policy Research, National Health Research Institutes, Nan-Kang, Taipei
J Rheumatol 28:1640-6. 2001
OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the prevalence of hyperuricemia in Taiwan. METHODS: A multi-stage stratified sampling scheme was used in Nutrition and Health Survey, which was conducted in Taiwan between 1993 and 96...
- Impact of obesity on medical problems and quality of life in Taiwan
Graduate Institute of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Am J Epidemiol 160:557-65. 2004
..study surveyed 6,318 Taiwanese (3,540 men and 2,778 women) visiting health screening centers in southern Taiwan. The authors used the body mass index classification endorsed by the World Health Organization for people in this ..
- Nosocomial and community-acquired Enterobacter cloacae bloodstream infection: risk factors for and prevalence of SHV-12 in multiresistant isolates in a medical centre
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Hosp Infect 58:63-77. 2004
In a medical centre in northern Taiwan, 60 patients had bloodstream infection caused by Enterobacter cloacae from 1 January 2002 to 30 April 2003. Forty (66.7%) were nosocomial and 26 were caused by multiresistant isolates...
- Autoantibodies against IA-2, GAD, and topoisomerase II in type 1 diabetic patients
Yih Hsin Chang
School of Medical Technology, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan, ROC
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 320:802-9. 2004
..026]. Patients with adolescent onset have higher GADA prevalence and better residual beta-cell functions. TopIIA and GADA are suggested to be better markers for Taiwanese T1DM patients because of their higher prevalence and persistence...
- Nodal metastases of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: patterns of disease on MRI and FDG PET
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Linkou Medical Center, Taiwan
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 31:1073-80. 2004
..The frequency of skip metastases was 7.9%. Distant spread to mediastinal or abdominal nodes was found in 3-5% of patients, usually in association with supraclavicular nodal metastases...
- Risks for unplanned hospital readmission in a teaching hospital in southern Taiwan
Su Hsien Chang
School of Nursing, Chung Hua College of Medical Technology, Ren Der county, Tainan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Int J Nurs Pract 9:389-95. 2003
..were visited by a discharge planning coordinator during hospitalization in a teaching hospital located in southern Taiwan. Results found that 67 patients (5...
- Clinical characteristics of microbial keratitis in a university hospital in Taiwan
Department of Ophthalmology, Hsin-Chu Hospital, Hsin-Chu, Taiwan
Am J Ophthalmol 137:329-36. 2004
PURPOSE: To analyze the clinical and microbiological characteristics of microbial keratitis at the National Taiwan University Hospital in the preceding 10 years. DESIGN: Retrospective cross-sectional study...
- Anticardiolipin antibodies in various diseases in Taiwan: a retrospective analysis
M H Tsai
Division of Rheumatology, Allergy and Immunology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kwei-Shan Hsiang, Taoyuan County, Taiwan
Lupus 12:747-53. 2003
..antibodies (ACA) in patients with various diseases and to evaluate the clinical significance of ACA in Taiwan. We collected 690 patients from ACA laboratory records...
- Limited value of typical gastroesophageal reflux disease symptoms to screen for erosive esophagitis in Taiwanese
Division of Endoscopy, Department of Integrated Diagnostics and Therapeutics, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Formos Med Assoc 102:299-304. 2003
- Screening for autism spectrum disorder in adult psychiatric outpatients in a clinic in Taiwan
Hsueh Ling Chang
Department of Child Psychiatry, Chang Gung Children Hospital, Republic of China, Kewi Shan, Taiwan
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 25:284-8. 2003
..quot; Patients with high scores then underwent a diagnostic clinical interview conducted by child psychiatrists. Four patients (0.6%) were found to have ASD...
- Prevalence of dry eye among an elderly Chinese population in Taiwan: the Shihpai Eye Study
Department of Ophthalmology, National Yang Ming University and Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taiwan
Ophthalmology 110:1096-101. 2003
PURPOSE: To describe the epidemiology of dry eye in an elderly Chinese population in Taipei, Taiwan. DESIGN: A population-based cross-sectional study...
- Epidemiologic study of age-related cataracts among an elderly Chinese population in Shih-Pai, Taiwan
Community Medicine Research Center and Institute of Public Health, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Ophthalmology 110:1089-95. 2003
..and risk factors for age-related cataracts in a metropolitan elderly Chinese population in Shihpai, Taipei, Taiwan. DESIGN: Population-based cross-sectional study...
- Risk factors for gallstone disease in a hospital-based study
Department of Community Medicine, China Medical College Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
South Med J 95:1419-23. 2002
BACKGROUND: We investigated the risk factors for gallstone disease in Taiwan. METHODS: We retrospectively analyzed medical records of patients receiving periodic health examination at China Medical College Hospital from January to ..
- Seroepidemiology of Toxoplasma gondii infection among two mountain aboriginal populations and Southeast Asian laborers in Taiwan
Chia Kwung Fan
Department of Parasitology, College of Medicine, Taipei Medical University, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Parasitol 88:411-4. 2002
..survey of Toxoplasma gondii infection among Atayal and Paiwan mountain aborigines and Southeast Asian laborers in Taiwan was assessed from February 1998 to July 2000 using a latex agglutination test. To determine risk factors for T...