- Cancer statistics in Korea: incidence, mortality and survival in 2005
Kyu Won Jung
The Korea Central Cancer Registry, National Cancer Center, Goyang, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 24:995-1003. 2009
Cancer has been the most common cause of death in Korea since 1983 and is a major public health concern. This paper overviews the nationwide cancer statistics, including incidence, mortality, and survival rates, and their trends in Korea...
- Selective beta-cell loss and alpha-cell expansion in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus in Korea
Kun Ho Yoon
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Immunology, and Cell Biology Core Laboratory, Institutes of Medical Science, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea 137 701
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:2300-8. 2003
..However, in Korea, the majority of type 2 diabetic patients are nonobese...
- Prevalence and risk factors of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in potential living liver donors in Korea: a review of 589 consecutive liver biopsies in a single center
Ji Young Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Asan Medical Centre, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Hepatol 47:239-44. 2007
- Epidemiology of inflammatory bowel disease in the Songpa-Kangdong district, Seoul, Korea, 1986-2005: a KASID study
Suk Kyun Yang
Department of Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine and Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
Inflamm Bowel Dis 14:542-9. 2008
Crohn's disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC) are considered rare diseases in developing countries. We have evaluated the incidence and prevalence of CD and UC over time in a district of Seoul, Korea.
- The prognosis of liver cirrhosis in recent years in Korea
Young Sun Kim
Institution of Digestive Disease and Nutrition, Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, Korea University, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 18:833-41. 2003
..More efficient management of etiologic factors would be required...
- Sympatric distribution of three human Taenia tapeworms collected between 1935 and 2005 in Korea
Hyeong Kyu Jeon
Department of Parasitology and Medical Research Institute, Chungbuk National University College of Medicine, Chongju, Chungbuk 361 763, Korea
Korean J Parasitol 46:235-41. 2008
Taeniasis has been known as one of the prevalent parasitic infections in Korea. Until recently, Taenia saginata had long been considered a dominant, and widely distributed species but epidemiological profiles of human Taenia species in ..
- Current status of hepatitis C virus infection in Korea
Dong Jin Suh
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Intervirology 49:70-5. 2006
..disease, including liver cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), has been a major cause of mortality in Korea. The prevalence rates of hepatitis C virus (HCV) and hepatitis B virus (HBV) infections in the general population ..
- Epidemiological change of atopic dermatitis and food allergy in school-aged children in Korea between 1995 and 2000
Jae Won Oh
Department of Pediatrics, Hanyang University, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 19:716-23. 2004
..the prevalence of atopic dermatitis and food allergy with the comparison of prevalence between 1995 and 2000 in Korea and evaluated the correlation of prevalence between atopic dermatitis and food allergy...
- Alcohol consumption and the metabolic syndrome in Korean adults: the 1998 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey
Yeong Sook Yoon
Department of Family Medicine, Ilsan Paik Hospital, University of Inje, College of Medicine, Goyang City, Gyunggi Do, Korea
Am J Clin Nutr 80:217-24. 2004
..The metabolic syndrome is associated with a high risk of cardiovascular disease morbidity and mortality. Light and moderate alcohol consumption have been associated with reduced cardiovascular disease morbidity and mortality...
- Prevalence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in Korea: a population-based spirometry survey
Dong Soon Kim
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Asan Medical Center, College of Medicine, University of Ulsan, 388 1, Poongnap dong, Songpa Gu, Seoul, South Korea
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 172:842-7. 2005
..Although chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a leading cause of mortality and morbidity worldwide, there are only limited data on its prevalence, especially in Asia...
- Mass screening for prostate cancer in Korea: a population based study
Department of Urology, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Urol 180:1949-52; discussion 1952-3. 2008
..We investigated the detection rate of prostate cancer in Korean men through a population based mass screening test...
- Seroprevalence of Helicobacter pylori in South Korea
Jeong Yoon Yim
Healthcare System Gangnam Center, Healthcare Research Institute, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Helicobacter 12:333-40. 2007
..The aims of this study were to investigate the interval change of seropositivity of H. pylori between 1998 and 2005 in Korean adult population and to find the factors related to H. pylori infection...
- Influenza vaccine coverage rates and perceptions on vaccination in South Korea
Sae Yoon Kee
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Korea University Medical College, 97 Gurodonggil, Gurodong, Gurogu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Infect 55:273-81. 2007
..This survey was performed to assess the level of influenza vaccine coverage, to understand the driving forces and barriers to vaccination and determine vaccination interventions for the following year in Korean population...
- Streptococcus pneumoniae serotype 19A in children, South Korea
Eun Hwa Choi
Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
Emerg Infect Dis 14:275-81. 2008
..005 for trend). This study demonstrates that the expansion of multidrug-resistant ST320 was responsible for the increase in serotype 19A before PCV7 use...
- Prevalence and management of diabetes in Korean adults: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys 1998-2005
Yong Jun Choi
Department of Internal Medicine, the Armed Forces Capital Hospital, Sungnam, Republic of Korea
Diabetes Care 32:2016-20. 2009
..This research investigated recent changes in the prevalence and management status of diabetes among Korean adults...
- Spatial analysis of water quality trends in the Han River basin, South Korea
Department of Geography, Portland State University, Portland, OR 97201, USA
Water Res 42:3285-304. 2008
Spatial patterns of water quality trends for 118 sites in the Han River basin of South Korea were examined for eight parameters-temperature, pH, dissolved oxygen (DO), biochemical oxygen demand (BOD), chemical oxygen demand (COD), ..
- Awareness of and attitude towards human papillomavirus infection and vaccination for cervical cancer prevention among adult males and females in Korea: a nationwide interview survey
Jin Kyoung Oh
National Cancer Control Institute, National Cancer Center, 323 Ilsan ro, Ilsandong gu, Goyang si, Gyeonggi do 411 760, Republic of Korea
Vaccine 28:1854-60. 2010
..A nationwide population-based interview survey was conducted in Korea. One thousand male and female adults were included with random sampling...
- Viral etiology and incidence associated with acute gastroenteritis in a 5-year survey in Gyeonggi province, South Korea
Jeong Weon Huh
Gyeonggido Institute of Health and Environment, Suwon, Gyeonggi do 440 290, South Korea
J Clin Virol 44:152-6. 2009
..Acute gastroenteritis caused by viruses is one of the leading causes of childhood morbidity...
- A nationwide survey on the prevalence of intestinal parasitic infections in the Republic of Korea, 2004
Tong Soo Kim
Department of Malaria and Parasitic Diseases, National Institute of Health, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Parasitol 47:37-47. 2009
..prevalence of intestinal parasitic infections have been carried out every 5-7 years since 1971 in the Republic of Korea in order to establish control measures. The present nationwide survey was conducted from June to December 2004...
- Cholangiocarcinoma and Clonorchis sinensis infection: a case-control study in Korea
Department of Radiology and Center for Imaging Science, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, 50, IlWon Dong, Kangnam Ku, Seoul 135 710, South Korea
J Hepatol 44:1066-73. 2006
The authors conducted a hospital-based case-control study to evaluate the role of Clonorchis sinensis infection as a risk factor for the development of cholangiocarcinoma (CC), including extrahepatic CC, in Korea.
- The effects of genetic polymorphisms of IL-1 and TNF-A on Helicobacter pylori-induced gastroduodenal diseases in Korea
Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seoungnam, Gyeonggi Do, Korea
Helicobacter 11:105-12. 2006
..To evaluate whether or not genetic polymorphism of IL-1B, IL-1RN, and TNF-Alpha is an important factor in the different expression of gastroduodenal diseases after Helicobacter pylori infection...
- CTX-M-14 and CTX-M-15 enzymes are the dominant type of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase in clinical isolates of Escherichia coli from Korea
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Hallym University College of Medicine, 150 950, 948 1 Daerim 1 Dong, Youngdeungpo gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Med Microbiol 58:261-6. 2009
..of plasmid-borne extended-spectrum beta-lactamases (ESBLs) and AmpC beta-lactamases in Escherichia coli in Korea. A total of 576 isolates of E. coli was collected from 12 Korean hospitals during May and July 2007...
- Socioeconomic inequalities in suicidal ideation, parasuicides, and completed suicides in South Korea
Myoung Hee Kim
Eulji University College of Medicine, Department of Preventive Medicine, Yongdoo dong 143 5, Joong Gu, Daejeon 301 832, Republic of Korea
Soc Sci Med 70:1254-61. 2010
As a result of unprecedented increase in suicides over the last decade, Korea now ranks at the top of OECD countries in suicide statistics (26.1 deaths per 100,000 population in 2005)...
- [Distribution of hepatitis B virus genotypes in Korea]
Ji Hyun Cho
Department of Laboratory Medicine, College of Medicine, Wonkwang University, Iksan, Korea
Korean J Hepatol 15:140-7. 2009
Considering the incidence of prevailing hepatitis B virus (HBV) genotypes in neighboring nations, the predominance of genotype C in Korea is exceptional and needs to be confirmed by nationwide investigation.
- Secular trends in adult male smoking from 1992 to 2006 in South Korea: age-specific changes with evolving tobacco-control policies
E J Park
School of Public Health and Institute of Health and Environment, Seoul National University, Yeongun Dong, Jongno gu, Seoul, 110 460, Republic of Korea
Public Health 123:657-64. 2009
For years, South Korea has had one of the highest levels of tobacco use among males in the world, but a steady decline has been observed recently...
- [Effectiveness of 10 day-sequential therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication in Korea]
Woo Hyuk Choi
Department of Internal Medicine, Kangbuk Samsung Hospital, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Jongno gu, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Gastroenterol 51:280-4. 2008
..We aimed to evaluate whether 10 day-sequential therapy eradicated H. pylori infection better than the PPI-based triple therapy in Korea.
- Prevalence of clonorchiasis in southern endemic areas of Korea in 2006
Shin Hyeong Cho
Department of Malaria and Parasitic Diseases, National Institute of Health, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Seoul 122 701, Korea
Korean J Parasitol 46:133-7. 2008
..villages along the 4 major rivers, Nakdong-gang (=river), Seomjin-gang, Youngsan-gang, and Guem-gang in southern Korea. From January to December 2006, a total of 24,075 stool samples (1 sample per an inhabitant) were collected in 23 ..
- Genetic diversity and fitness of Fusarium graminearum populations from rice in Korea
Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Center for Fungal Pathogenesis, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 921, Republic of Korea
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:3289-95. 2009
..We identified strains of F. graminearum from the Republic of Korea to lineage, tested their ability to produce nivalenol and deoxynivalenol, and determined the genetic composition ..
- Clinical significance of nontuberculous mycobacteria isolated from respiratory specimens in Korea
Won Jung Koh
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, 50 Ilwon Dong, Kangnam Ku, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Chest 129:341-8. 2006
..In order to determine the clinical significance of NTM isolated from respiratory specimens, we reviewed medical records from all patients from whom NTM isolates were recovered within a 2-year period...
- Institutional difference of antibiotic resistance of Helicobacter pylori strains in Korea
Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seoungnam, Gyeonggi Do, Seoul, Korea
J Clin Gastroenterol 40:683-7. 2006
..antibiotic resistance in Helicobacter pylori isolates could be different between 2 institutions, which are located in the different areas in Korea, and to evaluate the effect of antibiotic resistance on the eradication rate of H. pylori.
- Genotype analysis of Cryptosporidium spp. prevalent in a rural village in Hwasun-gun, Republic of Korea
Jae Hwan Park
Department of Parasitology and Tropical Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, and Institute of Endemic Diseases, Seoul National University Medical Research Center, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Parasitol 44:27-33. 2006
..and goats), to elucidate transmittal routes in a known endemic area in Hwasun-gun, Jeollanam-do, Republic of Korea. The existence of Cryptosporidium oocysts was confirmed using a modified Ziehl-Neelsen stain...
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome and obesity in adolescents aged 12 to 19 years: comparison between the United States and Korea
Children s Nutrition Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
J Korean Med Sci 25:75-82. 2010
..of metabolic syndrome (MetS), its risk factors, and obesity in adolescents in the United States (US) and Korea. Data were obtained from 2003-2004 US National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) and 2005 Korea ..
- Is precarious employment damaging to self-rated health? Results of propensity score matching methods, using longitudinal data in South Korea
Myoung Hee Kim
Department of Preventive Medicine, Eulji University School of Medicine, Daejeon, Republic of Korea
Soc Sci Med 67:1982-94. 2008
We aimed to evaluate the health effects of precarious employment based on a counterfactual framework, using the Korea Labor and Income Panel Survey data...
- Epidemiology of hepatitis C virus in Korea
Hai Rim Shin
Division of Cancer Control and Epidemiology, National Cancer Center, 809 Madu dong, Ilsan gu, Goyang, Gyeonggi do 411 769, Korea
Intervirology 49:18-22. 2006
Mortality due to liver cancer in Korea ranks as one of the highest in the world. Both hepatitis B virus (HBV) and hepatitis C virus (HCV) infections are high-risk factors for liver cancer...
- The unique aspects of the nutrition transition in South Korea: the retention of healthful elements in their traditional diet
Min June Lee
Research Institute of Food and Nutritional Sciences, Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea
Public Health Nutr 5:197-203. 2002
The purposes of this paper are to describe the unique aspects of the nutrition transition in South Korea, including trends in food consumption and obesity, patterns of morbidity and mortality; to focus on efforts to maintain the ..
- Current status of liver diseases in Korea: hepatocellular carcinoma
Il Han Song
Division of Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Dankook University College of Medicine, Cheonan, Korea
Korean J Hepatol 15:S50-9. 2009
Primary liver cancer, most of which is hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), is the third common leading cancer in Korea. During the last two decades, the incidence rate of primary liver cancer has shown a modest decrease, but its mortality ..
- Genetic diversity of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from a tertiary care tuberculosis hospital in South Korea
Isdore Chola Shamputa
Tuberculosis Research Section, Laboratory of Clinical Infectious Disease, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Clin Microbiol 48:387-94. 2010
Tuberculosis (TB) remains an immense public health problem in the Republic of Korea despite a more than fivefold decrease in the prevalence of the disease over the last 3 decades...
- Emerging invasive liver abscess caused by K1 serotype Klebsiella pneumoniae in Korea
D R Chung
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Hallym University Sacred Heart Hospital, Hallym University College of Medicine, Gyeonggi do 431 070, South Korea
J Infect 54:578-83. 2007
..To investigate a current epidemiology of K. pneumoniae liver abscess in Korea and to determine K serotype distribution in K...
- The effects of genetic polymorphisms of IL-6, IL-8, and IL-10 on Helicobacter pylori-induced gastroduodenal diseases in Korea
Jung Mook Kang
Department of Internal Medicine and Liver Research Institute, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Clin Gastroenterol 43:420-8. 2009
..The present study was performed to evaluate whether or not the genetic polymorphisms of IL-6, IL-8, and IL-10 are associated with gastroduodenal disease in the Korean population...
- Molecular epidemiology of hepatitis B virus (HBV) genotypes and serotypes in patients with chronic HBV infection in Korea
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Liver Research Institute and Cancer Research Institute, College of Medicine, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
Intervirology 50:52-7. 2007
Although hepatitis B virus (HBV) is endemic to Korea, no large-scale survey of HBV genotypes and serotypes based on sequence analysis has been performed.
- Efficacy and safety of sitagliptin in the treatment of patients with type 2 diabetes in China, India, and Korea
Madras Diabetes Research Foundation and Dr Mohan s Diabetes Specialities Centre, No 6B, Gopalapuram, Chennai 600086, India
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 83:106-16. 2009
..No hypoglycemia was reported. In conclusion, in this study, sitagliptin monotherapy for 18 weeks significantly improved glycemic control and was well-tolerated in patients with type 2 diabetes from China, India, and Korea.
- Vivax malaria: a continuing health threat to the Republic of Korea
Jae Won Park
Department of Microbiology, Gachon Medical School, Inchon, Republic of Korea
Am J Trop Med Hyg 69:159-67. 2003
Vivax malaria reemerged in the Republic of Korea in 1993. Most of the cases occurred among soldiers in the region adjacent to the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) until 1995...
- High rates of resistance to colistin and polymyxin B in subgroups of Acinetobacter baumannii isolates from Korea
Kwan Soo Ko
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Suwon, Korea
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:1163-7. 2007
..To investigate antimicrobial resistance in clinical isolates of Acinetobacter spp. from two Korean hospitals...
- Cancer control activities in the Republic of Korea
Keun Young Yoo
National Cancer Center, 111 Jungbalsan ro, Ilsandong gu, Goyang si, Gyeonggi do 410 769, Republic of Korea
Jpn J Clin Oncol 38:327-33. 2008
South Korea has a population of 47.3 million...
- Comparison of gastric cancer survival following R0 resection in the United States and Korea using an internationally validated nomogram
Vivian E Strong
Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, USA
Ann Surg 251:640-6. 2010
To compare disease-specific survival (DSS) between the US and Korea following R0 resection for gastric carcinoma (GC).
- [Recent etiology and clinical features of acute viral hepatitis in a single center of Korea]
Hyung Min Kang
Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seongnam, Korea
Korean J Hepatol 13:495-502. 2007
The etiology of acute viral hepatitis in Korea has been dynamically changing during the recent years...
- EMR for early gastric cancer in Korea: a multicenter retrospective study
Jae J Kim
Department of Medicine, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Gastrointest Endosc 66:693-700. 2007
..EMR has been accepted as a treatment modality for selected cases of early gastric cancer (EGC) in Japan. However, long-term outcomes after EMR for EGC have not been fully documented...
- Anopheles kleini, Anopheles pullus, and Anopheles sinensis: potential vectors of Plasmodium vivax in the Republic of Korea
Won Ja Lee
Department of Medical Entomology, Korea Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Eunpyung Gu, Seoul, 122 701, Korea
J Med Entomol 44:1086-90. 2007
..resting collections in malaria high-risk areas (northern Gyeonggi Province) near the demilitarized zone (DMZ) in Korea during 2005, followed by Anopheles kleini Rueda (24.7%) and Anopheles pullus M. Yamada (8.7%)...
- Wide dissemination of OXA-type carbapenemases in clinical Acinetobacter spp. isolates from South Korea
Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
Int J Antimicrob Agents 33:520-4. 2009
Carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter spp. are being increasingly reported worldwide, including in South Korea, where we examined 144 representative isolates collected in a nationwide hospital survey in 2005...
- Current status of liver diseases in Korea: hepatitis B
Hee Bok Chae
Department of Internal Medicine, Chungbuk National Unviersity College of Medicine, Cheongju, Korea
Korean J Hepatol 15:S13-24. 2009
Hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection is the one of the most common causes of the liver diseases in Korea. Since the discovery of Australia antigen (hepatitis associated antigen, or HBsAg later), hepatitis associated antigen was tested ..
- Association between levels of physical activity and poor self-rated health in Korean adults: The Third Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES), 2005
M A Han
National Cancer Control Research Institute, National Cancer Centre, Goyang, Republic of Korea
Public Health 123:665-9. 2009
..To investigate the association between level of physical activity and poor self-rated health in Korean adults...
- Clinical features and natural history of ulcerative colitis in Korea
Sang Hyoung Park
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
Inflamm Bowel Dis 13:278-83. 2007
The clinical characteristics of ulcerative colitis (UC) in Asian populations have not been well characterized. We therefore investigated the clinical features and natural history of UC in Korea.
- Occurrence of CTX-M-3, CTX-M-15, CTX-M-14, and CTX-M-9 extended-spectrum beta-lactamases in Enterobacteriaceae clinical isolates in Korea
Department of Microbiology, Dankook University College of Medicine, Chonan, Korea
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:1572-5. 2005
..603 isolates of Enterobacteriaceae collected between June and November 2003 from three university hospitals within Korea, bla(CTX-M-3), bla(CTX-M-15), bla(CTX-M-14), and bla(CTX-M-9) were detected in 41 isolates of species from five ..
- Analysis of demographic characteristics in 3242 young age gastric cancer patients in Korea
Hye Won Chung
Department of Gastroenterology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Shinchon dong, Seodaemun gu, 120 752 Seoul, South Korea
World J Gastroenterol 16:256-63. 2010
..To evaluate the epidemiologic features of young age gastric cancer (GC)...
- Impacts of vaccination on hepatitis B viral infections in Korea over a 25-year period
Neung Hwa Park
Department of Internal Medicine and Biomedical Research Center, Ulsan University Hospital, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Ulsan, Korea
Intervirology 53:20-8. 2010
Hepatitis B virus (HBV) vaccination has effectively reduced the acute and chronic infection rates in recent years. Since 1983, HBV vaccination has been recommended for all neonates in Korea.
- Influenza surveillance in Korea: establishment and first results of an epidemiological and virological surveillance scheme
J S Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, Inha University, Incheon, Korea
Epidemiol Infect 135:1117-23. 2007
..An evaluation questionnaire generated potential enhancements to the scheme. KISS appears to represent the pattern of influenza activity accurately and will have a valuable role in monitoring and preventing epidemics in Korea.
- Improvement in survival among HIV-infected individuals in the Republic of Korea: need for an early HIV diagnosis
Mee Kyung Kee
Division of AIDS, Korea National Institute of Health, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Seoul, Korea
BMC Infect Dis 9:128. 2009
There is little information describing survival in HIV-infected patients after primary diagnosis in Korea, and changes in survival over time...
- [Economic burden of cancer in South Korea for the year 2005]
National Cancer Control Research Institute, National Cancer Center, Korea
J Prev Med Public Health 42:190-8. 2009
..The objective of this study is to estimate the economic costs of cancer on society...
- Clinical characteristics of ectopic thyroid in Korea
Ji Sung Yoon
Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, Yeungnam University, Daegu, Korea
Thyroid 17:1117-21. 2007
..Ectopic thyroid is a rare entity and can occur at any location in the midline position. A role for the ectopic thyroid in the pathogenesis of hypothyroidism and nongoitrous cretinism has been emphasized...
- Epidemiological understanding of Taenia tapeworm infections with special reference to Taenia asiatica in Korea
K S Eom
Department of Parasitology and Medical Research Institute, Chungbuk National University School of Medicine, Chongju, Chungbuk 361 240, Korea
Korean J Parasitol 39:267-83. 2001
In endemic areas of Taenia tapeworms in Korea, most of the reports showed that T. saginata was dominant over T. solium, but eating pigs is the dominant habit over eating cattle. Why do they have more T...
- Trends in parasitic diseases in the Republic of Korea
Eun Hee Shin
Department of Parasitology and Tropical Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, and Institute of Endemic Diseases, Seoul National University Medical Research Center, Seoul 110 799, South Korea
Trends Parasitol 24:143-50. 2008
In the Republic of Korea, cases of zoonotic, opportunistic and imported parasitoses are being detected increasingly. Vivax malaria disappeared in the late 1970s but re-emerged in 1993 and, currently, 1000-2000 cases occur annually...
- Factors associated with awareness of infection status among chronic hepatitis B and C carriers in Korea
Cancer Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Management, Research Institute, National Cancer Center, Goyang si, Gyeonggi Do, South Korea
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18:1894-8. 2009
..5% of cancer deaths in Korea. The objectives of this study were to identify demographic characteristics that may affect hepatitis carriers' ..
- Relation between elevated serum alanine aminotransferase and metabolic syndrome in Korean adolescents
Hye Soon Park
Department of Family Medicine, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Am J Clin Nutr 82:1046-51. 2005
..Unexplained elevations in aminotransferase concentrations have been strongly associated with adiposity and thus may represent nonalcoholic fatty liver disease...
- The relationship between body mass index and the prevalence of obesity-related diseases based on the 1995 National Health Interview Survey in Korea
O R Moon
Graduate School of Public Health, Seoul National University, Korea
Obes Rev 3:191-6. 2002
..We also attempted to provide primary data to determine suitable BMI cut-off points for obesity in Korea. The 1995 National Health Interview Study (NHIS) data were used to estimate BMI and the prevalence of hypertension ..
- Randomized controlled trial comparing gastrectomy plus chemotherapy with chemotherapy alone in advanced gastric cancer with a single non-curable factor: Japan Clinical Oncology Group Study JCOG 0705 and Korea Gastric Cancer Association Study KGCA01
Department of Surgery, National Osaka Medical Center, 2 1 14 Hoenzaka, Chuo Ku, Osaka 540 0006, Japan
Jpn J Clin Oncol 38:504-6. 2008
A randomized controlled trial has started in both Japan and Korea to evaluate the role of gastrectomy in the management of incurable advanced gastric cancer (AGC)...
- Phaeobacter daeponensis sp. nov., isolated from a tidal flat of the Yellow Sea in Korea
Jung Hoon Yoon
Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, PO Box 115, Yusong, Taejon, Korea
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 57:856-61. 2007
..motile and egg-shaped bacterium, strain TF-218(T), was isolated from a tidal flat at Daepo Beach (Yellow Sea), Korea, and subjected to a polyphasic taxonomic analysis. Strain TF-218(T) grew optimally at pH 7.0-8...
- Geographical distribution and relative abundance of vectors of scrub typhus in the Republic of Korea
In Yong Lee
Department of Environmental Medical Biology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Korean J Parasitol 47:381-6. 2009
..vectors of scrub typhus was conducted from October to November 2006 at 13 localities throughout the Republic of Korea. Apodemus agrarius accounted for 97.6% (80/82) of all rodents, while only 2 Myodes regulus (2/82) were collected...
- Understanding the rapid increase in life expectancy in South Korea
Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and Occupational Health, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Am J Public Health 100:896-903. 2010
We assessed life expectancy increases in the past several decades in South Korea by age and specific causes of death.
- Asymptomatic healthy slaughterhouse workers in South Korea carrying Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli
Center for Infectious Diseases, Division of Enteric Bacterial Infections, Korea National Institute of Health, Seoul, Korea
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 56:41-7. 2009
..Eight Vero cell cytotoxicity assay-positive strains were isolated from the workers and these workers were asymptomatic and healthy. The results of the study show that slaughter plant workers are at high risk of STEC infection...
- Kawasaki disease in Korea, 2003-2005
Yong Won Park
Department of Pediatrics, Inje University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Pediatr Infect Dis J 26:821-3. 2007
The aim of this study was to investigate the incidence rate and epidemiologic patterns of Kawasaki disease in Korea for the 3-year-period, 2003-2005.
- The new definition of metabolic syndrome by the international diabetes federation is less likely to identify metabolically abnormal but non-obese individuals than the definition by the revised national cholesterol education program: the Korea NHANES study
Y S Yoon
Department of Family Medicine, Center for Health Promotion, Mitochondrial Research Group, and Clinical Research Center, Ilsan Paik Hospital, College of Medicine, Inje University, Gyeonggi Do, Korea
Int J Obes (Lond) 31:528-34. 2007
..We performed this study to compare the prevalence of these criteria and to investigate the characteristics of discrepant cases...
- Effects of excess weight on cancer incidences depending on cancer sites and histologic findings among men: Korea National Health Insurance Corporation Study
Sang Woo Oh
Center for Health Promotion and Obesity Research, Ilsan Paik Hospital, College of Medicine, Inje University, Goyang si, Gyeonggi Do, South Korea
J Clin Oncol 23:4742-54. 2005
..We conducted this study to assess the effects of excess weight with a large cohort of Koreans...
- Alcohol dependence, mortality, and chronic health conditions in a rural population in Korea
Department of Psychiatry, Yonsei University Wonju College of Medicine, Wonju, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 23:1-9. 2008
..excessive drinking and alcohol dependency on mortality and chronic health problems in a rural community in South Korea, this study represents a nested case-control study...
- Cancer in patients on chronic dialysis in Korea
Jung Eun Lee
Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 24:S95-S101. 2009
The study of cancer in patients treated with dialysis in Korea has not been reported. The aim of this study was to investigate the incidence and mortality of cancer among patients on dialysis in Korea...
- Bismuth-containing quadruple therapy as second-line treatment for Helicobacter pylori infection: effect of treatment duration and antibiotic resistance on the eradication rate in Korea
Byoung Hwan Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seongnam, South Korea
Helicobacter 15:38-45. 2010
..The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of bismuth-containing quadruple therapy as second-line treatment for H. pylori infection based on treatment duration...
- Serum high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and breast cancer risk by menopausal status, body mass index, and hormonal receptor in Korea
Division of Cancer Prevention, National Cancer Control Research Institute, National Cancer Center, Goyang, Korea
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18:508-15. 2009
..Multicenter hospital-based case-control study was conducted from November 2004 to December 2005 in Korea. After one to two individual matchings by age (+/-5 years) and menopausal status, 690 cases and 1,380 controls ..
- Radiobiological characterization of proton beam at the National Cancer Center in Korea
Hye Jung Baek
Radiation Medicine Branch, National Cancer Center, Goyang, Korea
J Radiat Res 49:509-15. 2008
..relative biological effectiveness (RBE) of the proton beam at the National Cancer Center Proton Therapy Center in Korea (NCCPTC) is required clinically for the treatment of cancer...
- Aquatic toxicity of acetaminophen, carbamazepine, cimetidine, diltiazem and six major sulfonamides, and their potential ecological risks in Korea
School of Public Health, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Environ Int 33:370-5. 2007
..In this study, the four most abundantly used pharmaceuticals in Korea, namely acetaminophen, carbamazepine, cimetidine, and diltiazem, and six sulfonamide related antibiotics, ..
- Identification and characterization of rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus genetic variants isolated in Korea
Jae Ku Oem
National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Service, Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Disease Diagnostic Center Division, Anayang, Republic of Korea
J Vet Med Sci 71:1519-23. 2009
..disease virus (RHDV) were used for the genetic characterization of RHDV strains collected from rabbits in Korea between 2006 and 2008...
- Independent emergence of colistin-resistant Acinetobacter spp. isolates from Korea
Young Kyoung Park
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Suwon 440 746, South Korea
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 64:43-51. 2009
..Considering the increasing use of colistin and the high recombination rate of Acinetobacter spp., independent but frequent emergence of colistin resistance in Acinetobacter spp. isolates is of great concern...
- International study on antidepressant prescription pattern at 20 teaching hospitals and major psychiatric institutions in East Asia: Analysis of 1898 cases from China, Japan, Korea, Singapore and Taiwan
Fukuoka University College of Medicine, Fukuoka, Japan
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 61:522-8. 2007
..The survey was conducted in China, Japan, Korea, Singapore and Taiwan from October 2003 to March 2004 using the unified research protocol and questionnaire...
- A successful experience of soil-transmitted helminth control in the Republic of Korea
Sung Tae Hong
Department of Parasitology and Tropical Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, and Institute of Endemic Diseases, Seoul National University Medical Research Center, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Parasitol 44:177-85. 2006
..In the Republic of Korea, STH were highly prevalent and were considered a high priority target for national control...
- A study testing the usefulness of a dish-based food-frequency questionnaire developed for epidemiological studies in Korea
Young Ok Kim
Department of Food and Nutrition, College of Natural Science, Dongduk Women s University, Seoul, Korea
Br J Nutr 101:1218-27. 2009
..usefulness of dish items selected in developing a dish-based FFQ (DFFQ) to be used for epidemiological studies in Korea. The dietary data of 6817 subjects from the 2001 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey were used ..
- The efficacy of intravenous contrast-enhanced 16-raw multidetector CT colonography for detecting patients with colorectal polyps in an asymptomatic population in Korea
Young Sun Kim
Seoul National University Hospital, Healthcare System Gangnam Center, Healthcare Research Institute, Seoul, Korea
J Clin Gastroenterol 42:791-8. 2008
..CTC) with that of colonoscopy for detecting patients with colorectal polyps in an asymptomatic screening population in Korea, thus to evaluate a possibility, whether CTC could be used as a screening tool for colorectal polyps.
- Ectomycorrhizal fungal communities associated with Pinus thunbergii in the eastern coastal pine forests of Korea
College of Forest and Environmental Sciences, Kangwon National University, Chuncheon 200 701, South Korea
Mycorrhiza 20:39-49. 2009
..thunbergii mature trees and regenerating seedlings varying in age in coastal pine forests on the east coast of Korea. We established one 20 x 20-m plot at each of two study sites at P. thunbergii coastal forests in Samcheok...
- Malaria vector surveillance in Ganghwa-do, a malaria-endemic area in the Republic of Korea
Sung Suck Oh
Department of Microbiology, Incheon Research Institute for Public Health and Environment, Incheon, Korea
Korean J Parasitol 48:35-41. 2010
..of mosquitoes infected with the parasite in Ganghwa-do (Island), a vivax malaria endemic area in the Republic of Korea. Mosquitoes were collected periodically with a dry-ice-tent trap and a blacklight trap during the mosquito season (..
- [Change of Clostridium difficile colitis during recent 10 years in Korea]
Yune Jeong Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea College of Medicine, Seocho Gu, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Gastroenterol 55:169-74. 2010
..The aim of study was to evaluate changes in the epidemiological features of CDC in hospitalized patients in Korea.
- A comparison of mortality related to urban air particles between periods with Asian dust days and without Asian dust days in Seoul, Korea, 2000-2004
Jong Tae Lee
Department of Public Health, Graduate School of Hanyang University, Hanyang University, Haengdang Dong 17, Seongdong Gu, Seoul 133 791, Republic of Korea
Environ Res 105:409-13. 2007
..We used the daily counts of non-accidental deaths, air pollution and meteorological data in Seoul, Korea from 2000 to 2004...
- The clinical characteristics of Anisakis allergy in Korea
Sung Jin Choi
Department of Allergy and Rheumatology, Ajou University School of Medicine, Youngtong Gu, Suwon, Korea
Korean J Intern Med 24:160-3. 2009
..in Spain and Japan, our report is the first to summarize the clinical features of 10 Anisakis allergy cases in Korea. We enrolled 10 Korean patients (6 men and 4 women) who complained of aggravated allergic symptoms after ingesting ..
- Prevalence of gastroesophageal reflux disease symptoms and uninvestigated dyspepsia in Korea: a population-based study
Sun Young Yang
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Hanyang University College of Medicine, Hanyang University Hospital, Sungdong Ku, Seoul, Korea
Dig Dis Sci 53:188-93. 2008
..We sought to determine the frequency of GERD symptoms and uninvestigated dyspepsia in Korea. Telephone interviews were conducted with 1,044 individuals. Of all subjects, 7...
- [The incidence and patterns of unintentional injuries in daily life in Korea: a nationwide study]
Seoul National University, College of Medicine, Department of Health Policy and Management
J Prev Med Public Health 41:265-71. 2008
..This study was conducted to estimate the cumulative incidence rate (CIR) of unintentional injuries in Korean daily life and to describe the pattern of unintentional injuries...
- Effectiveness of an organized cervical cancer screening program in Korea: results from a cohort study
Jae Kwan Jun
National Cancer Control Research Institute, National Cancer Center, Gyeonggi Do, Korea
Int J Cancer 124:188-93. 2009
..cancer screening is widely acknowledged, the effectiveness of an organized cervical cancer screening program in Korea has never been evaluated...
- Prevalence and trends of metabolic syndrome in Korea: Korean National Health and Nutrition Survey 1998-2001
H S Park
Department of Family Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Diabetes Obes Metab 9:50-8. 2007
Metabolic syndrome (MetS) is a major international health problem. Limited information is available about the prevalence of MetS in Asia, especially in Korea.
- High temperature, heat index, and mortality in 6 major cities in South Korea
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Seoul National University, Korea
Arch Environ Occup Health 61:265-70. 2006
The authors conducted a time-series analysis to estimate the acute effects of high temperature in 6 cities in Korea and to compare thresholds of temperature on daily mortality among the cities...
- Cancer incidence among Korean-American immigrants in the United States and native Koreans in South Korea
Department of Epidemiology, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey School of Public Health, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Cancer Control 14:78-85. 2007
..This study compares cancer incidence rates between Korean-Americans, whites, and blacks in the United States and native Koreans...
- Clinicians' practice and attitudes toward cancer pain management in Korea
Yeon Soo Jeon
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Saint Vincent s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea, 93 6 Chi Dong, Paldal Gu, Suwon, South Korea
Support Care Cancer 15:463-9. 2007
The purposes of this study were to assess clinicians' (n = 250) current practices and attitudes about cancer pain management and to identify perceived concerns about and barriers to pain control in urban cancer-treatment settings in Korea.
- Resurgence of Plasmodium vivax malaria in the Republic of Korea during 2006-2007
Department of Biochemistry, Graduate School of Medicine, Gachon University of Medicine and Science, Incheon, Republic of Korea
Am J Trop Med Hyg 81:605-10. 2009
Plasmodium vivax malaria, which re-emerged in the Republic of Korea (ROK) in 1993, had decreased since 2001. However, case numbers began to increase again in 2005. The number of cases rose 54...
- Low dose mercury and heart rate variability among community residents nearby to an industrial complex in Korea
Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, College of Medicine, Kyunghee University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Neurotoxicology 31:10-6. 2010
..In this cross-sectional study, the hair mercury was analyzed in relation to the cardiac autonomic activity among community residents nearby to an industrial complex in Korea.
- Laboratory transmission of Japanese encephalitis, West Nile, and Getah viruses by mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) collected near Camp Greaves, Gyeonggi Province, Republic of Korea 2003
Michael J Turell
Virology Division, U S Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Fort Detrick, MD 21702 5011, USA
J Med Entomol 43:1076-81. 2006
We conducted experimental studies to evaluate mosquitoes captured in Paju County, Gyeonggi Province, Republic of Korea, for their ability to transmit West Nile virus (family Flaviviridae, genus Flavivirus, WNV), Japanese encephalitis ..
- Emerging need for vaccination against hepatitis A virus in patients with chronic liver disease in Korea
Hyun Joo Song
Department of Internal Medicine, Ewha Medical Research Institute, Ewha Womans University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 22:218-22. 2007
..virus (HAV) is recommended for patients with chronic liver disease (CLD), but this has been deemed unnecessary in Korea since the immunity against HAV was almost universal in adults...
- [A prospective multicenter study on the prevalence and symptoms of erosive reflux esophagitis in secondary and tertiary hospitals in Korea]
Jin Ki Hwang
Department of Internal Medicine, Korea University College of Medicine, Guro Gu, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Gastroenterol 53:283-91. 2009
..The aims of this study were to determine the prevalence of EE among outpatients visiting gastroenterology clinics of secondary and tertiary hospitals in Korea, and to analyze their symptoms.