- Pediatric hospitalizations associated with 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) in Argentina
Fundacion INFANT, Buenos Aires
N Engl J Med 362:45-55. 2010
..While the Northern Hemisphere experiences the effects of the 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) virus, data from the recent influenza season in the Southern Hemisphere can provide important information on the burden of disease in children...
- Phylodynamics of HIV-1 circulating recombinant forms 12_BF and 38_BF in Argentina and Uruguay
Laboratorio de AIDS and Imunologia Molecular, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Retrovirology 7:22. 2010
Although HIV-1 CRF12_BF and CRF38_BF are two epidemiologically important recombinant lineages circulating in Argentina and Uruguay, little is known about their population dynamics.
- Reactivation of Chagas disease with central nervous system involvement in HIV-infected patients in Argentina, 1992-2007
Francisco J Muñiz Infectious Diseases Hospital, Uspallata 2262, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Int J Infect Dis 12:587-92. 2008
..The objective of this study was to evaluate clinical and microbiological characteristics of Chagas disease (ChD) with central nervous system (CNS) involvement in AIDS patients...
- Pattern recognition techniques for the evaluation of spatial and temporal variations in water quality. A case study: Suquía River Basin (Cordoba-Argentina)
W D Alberto
Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Dto Bioquímica Cdad Universitaria, Argentina
Water Res 35:2881-94. 2001
- Evidence for avian intrathoracic air sacs in a new predatory dinosaur from Argentina
Paul C Sereno
Department of Organismal Biology and Anatomy, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
PLoS ONE 3:e3303. 2008
- HIV type 1 genetic diversity surveillance among newly diagnosed individuals from 2003 to 2005 in Buenos Aires, Argentina
Dario A Dilernia
Centro Nacional de Referencia para el SIDA, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 23:1201-7. 2007
..We also identified the CRF16_A2D previously found in Argentina and the CRF06_cpx commonly prevalent in Africa...
- Seasonal variation of Shiga toxin-encoding genes (stx) and detection of E. coli O157 in dairy cattle from Argentina
Laboratorio de Inmunoquimica y Biotecnologia, Tandil, Argentina
J Appl Microbiol 106:1260-7. 2009
To study the seasonal variation of Shiga toxin-encoding genes (stx) and to investigate the presence of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli (STEC) O157 in cattle belonging to five dairy farms from Argentina.
- Community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, eastern Argentina
Catedra de Microbiologia, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Universidad de Buenos Aires, 1113 Buenos Aires, Argentina
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 62:343-7. 2008
..methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus recovered in 6 healthcare centers from northeastern and eastern Argentina were genotyped by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis...
- Evolution and molecular characterization of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus epidemic and sporadic clones in Cordoba, Argentina
, , , Argentina
J Clin Microbiol 44:192-200. 2006
..methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) strain, named the "Cordobes clone," has emerged in Argentina and coexists with the pandemic Brazilian clone...
- Detection of picobirnavirus in HIV-infected patients with diarrhea in Argentina
M O Giordano
Instituto de Virología Dr J M Vanella Facultad de Ciencias Médicas, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Argentina
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol 18:380-3. 1998
..5 times more sensitive following guanidinium thiocynate RNA extraction. This investigation offers preliminary results about the circulation of picobirnavirus in HIV-infected patients in Córdoba, Argentina.
- The earliest dromaeosaurid theropod from South America
Peter J Makovicky
Department of Geology, The Field Museum, 1400 South Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, Illinois 60605, USA
Nature 437:1007-11. 2005
- Evolution of multiresistance in nontyphoid salmonella serovars from 1984 to 1998 in Argentina
Betina E Orman
, , Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:3963-70. 2002
..was investigated with 155 isolates obtained in Argentina from 1984 to 1998...
- Emergence and dissemination of a community-associated methicillin-resistant Panton-Valentine leucocidin-positive Staphylococcus aureus clone sharing the sequence type 5 lineage with the most prevalent nosocomial clone in the same region of Argentina
Departamento de Bioquimica Clinica, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Centro de Investigaciones en Bioquímica Clínica e Inmunología CIBICI CONICET, Ciudad Universitaria, Pabellon Argentina, Cordoba, Argentina
J Clin Microbiol 46:1826-31. 2008
..aureus revealed prevalences of 33% and 13% in pediatric and adult patients, respectively, in Cordoba, Argentina, in 2005...
- Lutzomyia longipalpis spatial distribution and association with environmental variables in an urban focus of visceral leishmaniasis, Misiones, Argentina
María Soledad Fernández
Centro Nacional de Diagnóstico e Investigación en Endemo epidemias, ANLIS, Ministerio de Salud de la Nación, Av Paseo Colon 568, 1063 CA Buenos Aires, Argentina
Acta Trop 114:81-7. 2010
This study describes the spatial distribution pattern of Lu. longipalpis abundance in Posadas-Garupá, Argentina, where four cases of human Visceral Leishmaniasis had been recorded. A total of 2428 Lu...
- Effects of a five-year citywide intervention program to control Aedes aegypti and prevent dengue outbreaks in northern Argentina
Ricardo E Gürtler
Laboratorio de Eco Epidemiología, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e427. 2009
..Dengue has propagated widely through the Americas. Most countries have not been able to maintain permanent larval mosquito control programs, and the long-term effects of control actions have rarely been documented...
- Fascioliasis transmission by Lymnaea neotropica confirmed by nuclear rDNA and mtDNA sequencing in Argentina
Roberto Mera y Sierra
Area de Infectología, Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, Universidad Nacional de Cuyo, Av Libertador 80, Mendoza, Argentina
Vet Parasitol 166:73-9. 2009
Fascioliasis is widespread in livestock in Argentina. Among activities included in a long-term initiative to ascertain which are the fascioliasis areas of most concern, studies were performed in a recreational farm, including liver fluke ..
- Genotypic and phenotypic characteristics of Yersinia enterocolitica isolated from the surface of chicken eggshells obtained in Argentina
Gabriela I Favier
Microbiología General, Facultad de Quimica, Bioquimica y Farmacia, Universidad Nacional de San Luis, 5700 San Luis, Argentina
J Food Prot 68:1812-5. 2005
The prevalence of Yersinia enterocolitica on chicken eggshell surfaces in San Luis, Argentina, was investigated...
- Plasmidic extended-spectrum beta-lactamases in Vibrio cholerae O1 El Tor isolates in Argentina
Servicio Antimicrobianos, Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Infecciosas, , Buenos Aires, Argentina
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:1462-8. 2002
Since 1992 there have been seven major outbreaks of cholera in Argentina. Susceptibility analysis of 1,947 isolates (40% of reported cases) of Vibrio cholerae O1 biotype El Tor suggested the presence of extended-spectrum beta-lactamases (..
- A large Cretaceous theropod from Patagonia, Argentina, and the evolution of carcharodontosaurids
Fernando E Novas
CONICET, Museo Argentino de Ciencias Naturales Bernardino Rivadavia, Av Angel Gallardo 470, 1405, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Naturwissenschaften 92:226-30. 2005
..et sp. nov., from Aptian strata of Patagonia, Argentina. The new taxon gives new insights into the systematics and evolution of carcharodontosaurids and offers a better ..
- Identification of a novel methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus epidemic clone in CÃ³rdoba, Argentina, involved in nosocomial infections
, , , Ciudad Universitaria, , Argentina
J Clin Microbiol 40:1427-35. 2002
..clone, is the main cause of nosocomial infections produced by this bacterium in Brazil and in some regions of Argentina, Chile, and Uruguay...
- [Transmission of tegumentary leishmaniasis in Argentina]
Oscar D Salomon
Centro Nacional de Diagnóstico e Investigación en Endemoepidemias CeNDIE, Administracion Nacional de Laboratorios e Institutos de Salud, Ministerio de Salud y Ambiente
Medicina (B Aires) 66:211-9. 2006
The total cases of tegumentary leishmaniasis in Argentina increased since 1985, as the frequency, intensity and geographic distribution of the epidemic outbreaks, and the relative incidence in women and children...
- Eocene plant diversity at Laguna del Hunco and Río Pichileufú, Patagonia, Argentina
Department of Geosciences, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
Am Nat 165:634-50. 2005
..quantitative collections of fossil floras from Laguna del Hunco (LH) and Río Pichileufú (RP) in Patagonia, Argentina. These sites represent a frost-free humid biome in South American middle latitudes of the globally warm Eocene...
- Identification of hepatitis C virus subtype 2c by sequencing analysis in patients from Córdoba, Argentina
Instituto de Virologia Dr J M Vanella, Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Cordoba, Argentina
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 102:995-8. 2007
In Argentina, most information on hepatitis C virus (HCV) genotype distribution comes from studies carried out in Buenos Aires (east province)...
- Medicinal plants from the "Sierra de Comechingones", Argentina
Marta Ester Goleniowski
Agencia Cordoba Ciencia, Unidad Ceprocor Arenales 230, B Juniors, CP X5004AAP, Cordoba, Argentina
J Ethnopharmacol 107:324-41. 2006
b>Argentina is a country with both rich floral biodiversity and cultural diversity. Traditional herbal medicines are important in the health care of most people, and rely heavily on the use of indigenous plants...
- Reduction in nosocomial infection with improved hand hygiene in intensive care units of a tertiary care hospital in Argentina
Victor D Rosenthal
Section of Infectious Diseases and Hospital Epidemiology, Colegiales Hospital, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Am J Infect Control 33:392-7. 2005
..We attempted to enhance compliance with hand hygiene by implementing education, training, and performance feedback. We measured nosocomial infections in parallel...
- Ecological aspects of phebotomine (Diptera, Psychodidae) in an endemic area of tegumentary leishmaniasis in the northeastern Argentina, 1993-1998
Oscar D Salomon
Centro Nacional de Diagnóstico e Investigación en Endemo epidemias, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 97:163-8. 2002
..This increase in abundance of potential vector sand fly populations close to houses with colonizable surroundings could have generated the 1998 epidemic outbreak...
- Molecular evidence for a novel encapsulated genotype of Trichinella from Patagonia, Argentina
Silvio J Krivokapich
Lab Trichinella and Trichinellosis, Departamento de Parasitologia, Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Administracion Nacional de Laboratorios e Institutos de Salud, Dr Carlos G Malbran, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Vet Parasitol 156:234-40. 2008
..isolate of muscle larvae of Trichinella, found in a mountain lion (Puma concolor) coming from the Patagonia, Argentina. We studied three DNA regions previously probed to be useful for the identification of all eleven recognized ..
- Complex class 1 integrons with diverse variable regions, including aac(6')-Ib-cr, and a novel allele, qnrB10, associated with ISCR1 in clinical enterobacterial isolates from Argentina
María Paula Quiroga
Departamento de Microbiologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Paraguay 2155, P 12, Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:4466-70. 2007
Transferable quinolone resistance has not previously been reported in Argentina. Here we describe three complex class 1 integrons harboring the novel allele qnrB10 in a unique region downstream of orf513, one of them also containing aac(..
- Diversity of Streptococcus thermophilus phages in a large-production cheese factory in Argentina
Instituto de Lactología Industrial, Facultad de Ingenieria Quimica, Universidad Nacional del Litoral, Santiago del Estero 2829, 3000 Santa Fe, Argentina
J Dairy Sci 89:3791-9. 2006
..This study illustrates the phage diversity that can be found in one factory that rotates several cultures of S. thermophilus. Limiting the number of starter cultures is likely to reduce phage biodiversity within a fermentation facility...
- Urban distribution of Phlebotominae in a cutaneous leishmaniasis focus, Argentina
Oscar D Salomon
Centro Nacional de Diagnóstico e Investigación en Endemo epidemias, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 103:282-7. 2008
..Therefore, in this urban ACL focus the human-vector effective contact risk is still associated with peri-urban vegetation and ecotone modifications despite the urban residence of the cases...
- Epidemiological aspects of cutaneous leishmaniasis in the Iguazú falls area of Argentina
Oscar D Salomon
Centro Nacional de Diagnóstico e Investigación en Endemo epidemias, ANLIS, Ministerio de Salud de Nación, Argentina
Acta Trop 109:5-11. 2009
Over the last three decades the incidence of American cutaneous leishmaniasis (ACL) has increased sharply in Argentina and throughout the world...
- Etiological treatment in patients infected by Trypanosoma cruzi: experiences in Argentina
Centro Nacional de Diagnóstico e Investigación de Endemo epidemias CeNDIE, Ministerio de Salud y Ambiente, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Curr Opin Infect Dis 19:583-7. 2006
..The aim of this review is to describe knowledge, mainly of the last 15 years, that changed criteria for specific treatment against Trypanosoma cruzi infection...
- Antimicrobial activity of flavonoids in medicinal plants from Tafí del Valle (Tucumán, Argentina)
N E Hernandez
Cátedra de Química Orgánica y Biológica, Facultad de Ciencias Naturales e Instituto Miguel Lillo, Universidad Nacional de Tucuman, Miguel Lillo 205, 4000, Tucuman, Argentina
J Ethnopharmacol 73:317-22. 2000
Preliminary studies of flavonoids have been realised in five native species from Tafí del Valle (Tucumán, Argentina) used in popular medicine. Most of compounds detected were flavonoids mono and dihydroxylated in B ring...
- Characterisation of OXA-51, a novel class D carbapenemase found in genetically unrelated clinical strains of Acinetobacter baumannii from Argentina
Department of Medical Microbiology, Edinburgh University Medical School, Edinburgh
Clin Microbiol Infect 11:15-23. 2005
..baumannii strains from Argentina. Enzyme kinetics and inhibitor studies were performed spectrophotometrically with purified beta-lactamase...
- Therapy, diagnosis and prognosis of chronic Chagas disease: insight gained in Argentina
Centro Nacional de Diagnóstico e Investigación de Endemo epidemias, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 104:167-80. 2009
The purpose of this review is to describe research findings regarding chronic Chagas disease in Argentina that have changed the standards of care for patients with Trypanosoma cruzi infection...
- Epidemiology of Pediculosis capitis in elementary schools of Buenos Aires, Argentina
Centro de Investigaciones de Plagas e Insecticidas CITEFA CONICET, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Parasitol Res 104:1295-8. 2009
..The differences of pediculosis among the studied schools could be explained by the different control strategies applied by parents or advisors to eradicate head lice...
- Tuberculosis control and the private sector in a low incidence setting in Argentina
María I Dato
Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Respiratorias Emilio Coni
Rev Salud Publica (Bogota) 11:370-82. 2009
Determining private doctors' (PD) knowledge and practice regarding tuberculosis (TB) control issues and exploring the availability of TB drugs in private pharmacies (PP) in a low incidence setting in Argentina (Santa Fe).
- Phlebotominae sand flies associated with a tegumentary leishmaniasis outbreak, Tucumán Province, Argentina
Oscar Daniel Salomón
Centro Nacional de Diagnóstico e Investigación en Endemoepidemias, ANLIS, Ministerio de Salud, Argentina
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 39:341-6. 2006
..The cumulative outcome of anthropic, ecological and climatic factors could have contributed to the onset of the outbreak...
- Prevalence and clinical features of epilepsy in Argentina. A community-based study
Mario O Melcon
Foundation for Neuroepidemiologic Research, Junin, Argentina
Neuroepidemiology 28:8-15. 2007
To ascertain the prevalence of epilepsy in Junín, a town of 70,000-80,000 inhabitants from the Province of Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Toxigenic potential of Fusarium graminearum sensu stricto isolates from wheat in Argentina
Cora Lilia Alvarez
PRHIDEB PROPLAME CONICET, Departamento de Biodiversidad y Biologia Experimental, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, UBA Ciudad Universitaria, Pabellon II, 4 masculine piso C1428 EHA, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Int J Food Microbiol 135:131-5. 2009
..graminearum sensu stricto strains isolated from wheat in different subregions of the main production area in Argentina during 2001, 2003 and 2004 harvests was studied...
- Population genetic structure of Gibberella zeae isolated from wheat in Argentina
M L Ramirez
Departamento de Microbiologia e Immunologia, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas, Fisico Quimicas y Naturales, Universidad Nacional de Rio Cuarto, 5800 Rio Cuarto, Cordoba, Argentina
Food Addit Contam 24:1115-20. 2007
..This study extends previous work with populations of G. zeae to include those found in Argentina, one of the world's largest wheat growing countries.
- Epidemiologic, clinical, and microbiologic profile of infective endocarditis in Argentina: a national survey. The Endocarditis Infecciosa en la República Argentina-2 (EIRA-2) Study
Area de Investigación y Consejo de Cardiología Clínica Dr Tiburcio Padilla, Argentine Society of Cardiology, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Am Heart J 151:545-52. 2006
This study aimed to determine the epidemiologic, clinical, microbiologic characteristics, and inhospital outcome of infective endocarditis (IE) in Argentina and compare the results with those of the 1992 IE national survey.
- Environmental poliovirus surveillance during oral poliovirus vaccine and inactivated poliovirus vaccine use in Córdoba Province, Argentina
Judith E Mueller
Agence de Medecine Preventive, Paris, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:1395-401. 2009
- Respiratory viruses seasonality in children under five years of age in Buenos Aires, Argentina: a five-year analysis
Virology Laboratory, Dr Ricardo Gutiérrez Children s Hospital, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Infect 49:222-8. 2004
..We aimed to perform a five-year retrospective analysis (1998-2002) of ALRI viral aetiology in children under 5 years of age admitted to public hospitals in Buenos Aires city to evaluate its seasonality...
- Six-month multicenter study on invasive infections due to Streptococcus pyogenes and Streptococcus dysgalactiae subsp. equisimilis in Argentina
Horacio A Lopardo
Servicio de Microbiología Hospital de Pediatría Prof Dr Juan P Garrahan, Combate de los Pozos 1881 1245 Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Clin Microbiol 43:802-7. 2005
..equisimilis were recorded from 40 centers of 16 cities in Argentina. We describe here epidemiologic data available for 55 and 19 patients, respectively, associated with invasive ..
- Both human immunodeficiency virus-infected and human immunodeficiency virus-exposed, uninfected children living in Brazil, Argentina, and Mexico have similar rates of low concentrations of retinol, beta-carotene, and vitamin E
Jacqueline P Monteiro
University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Nutr Res 29:716-22. 2009
..Low concentrations of retinol, beta-carotene, and vitamin E are very common in children exposed to HIV living in Brazil, Argentina, and Mexico, regardless of HIV-infection status.
- Maternal mortality in Argentina: a closer look at women who die outside of the health system
Melissa G Rosenstein
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
Matern Child Health J 12:519-24. 2008
..To use the technique of verbal autopsy to identify maternal deaths and to obtain qualitative information about the determinants of maternal death using the "three delays" model...
- First visceral leishmaniasis focus in Argentina
Centro Nacional de Diagnóstico e Investigación en Endemo epidemias, CENDIE ANLIS, Ministerio de Salud de la Nación, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 103:109-11. 2008
..Lutzomyia longipalpis was discovered in the backyard of his house, while the spread of canine visceral leishmaniasis was confirmed in Posadas. This is the southernmost report of a VL transmission focus and the first in Argentina.
- Domestic dogs and cats as sources of Trypanosoma cruzi infection in rural northwestern Argentina
R E Gurtler
Laboratorio de Eco Epidemiología, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Parasitology 134:69-82. 2007
..of domestic Triatoma infestans were assessed longitudinally in 2 infested rural villages in north-western Argentina. A total of 86 dogs and 38 cats was repeatedly examined for T. cruzi infection by serology and/or xenodiagnosis...
- Extremely rapid spread of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 BF recombinants in Argentina
Paula C Aulicino
Laboratorio de Biología Celular y Retrovirus, Hospital de Pediatria Garrahan, Combate de los Pozos 1881, 1245 Capital Federal, Argentina
J Virol 81:427-9. 2007
The epidemic of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) in Argentina is distinctive in that many infections are caused by subtype BF recombinant viruses...
- [The epidemiology of hemolytic uremic syndrome in Argentina. Diagnosis of the etiologic agent, reservoirs and routes of transmission]
Servicio Fisiopatogenia, Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Infecciosas ANLIS Dr Carlos G Malbran, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Medicina (B Aires) 66:27-32. 2006
..Both washing hands after handling raw beef, and eating fruits and vegetables were frequently protective. Strategies of prevention and control are necessary to decrease the incidence of STEC infections in Argentina.
- Epstein-Barr virus in breast carcinoma in Argentina
Maria Victoria Preciado
Virology Laboratory, Ricardo Gutierrez Children s Hospital, Ciudad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Arch Pathol Lab Med 129:377-81. 2005
..Investigations of this association could not only broaden understanding of breast cancer etiology but also have implications regarding early detection, treatment, and prevention...
- Dirofilariasis in Argentina: historical review and first report of Dirofilaria immitis in a natural mosquito population
Unidad de Ecología de Reservorios y Vectores de Parásitos, Dto de Ecologia, Genetica y Evolucion, Facultad de Cs Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Ciudad Universitaria, Pabellon 2, Argentina
Vet Parasitol 136:259-73. 2006
b>Argentina is one of the four South American countries where the presence of Dirofilaria immitis is currently confirmed...
- Human outbreak of St. Louis encephalitis detected in Argentina, 2005
Lorena I Spinsanti
Instituto de Virologia Dr José María Vanella, Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Enfermera Gordillo Gomez s n, 5016 Cordoba, Argentina
J Clin Virol 42:27-33. 2008
An outbreak of flavivirus encephalitis occurred in 2005 in Córdoba province, Argentina.
- Pathogenic hantaviruses, northeastern Argentina and eastern Paraguay
Departamento de Virologia, Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Infecciosas ANLIS Dr Carlos, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Emerg Infect Dis 13:1211-4. 2007
We describe the first, to our knowledge, cases of han-tavirus pulmonary syndrome in northeastern Argentina and eastern Paraguay. Andes and Juquitiba (JUQ) viruses were characterized...
- High prevalence of hepatitis C virus genotype 1b infection in a small town of Argentina. Phylogenetic and Bayesian coalescent analysis
Marcelo D Golemba
Catedra de Virologia, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
PLoS ONE 5:e8751. 2010
Previous studies in Argentina have documented a general prevalence of Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) infection close to 2%. In addition, a high prevalence of HCV has been recently reported in different Argentinean small rural communities...
- Variability of aflatoxin and cyclopiazonic acid production by Aspergillus section flavi from different substrates in Argentina
Departamento de Quimica Organica, Área Bromatología, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Ciudad Universitaria, Pabellon II, 3 Piso, 1428 Buenos Aires, Argentina
Int J Food Microbiol 88:79-84. 2003
Aspergillus section flavi strains isolated from peanuts, wheat and soybean grown in Argentina were screened for aflatoxins (type B and G) and cyclopiazonic acid (CPA) production...
- PCR-based screening and lineage identification of Trypanosoma cruzi directly from faecal samples of triatomine bugs from northwestern Argentina
P L Marcet
, , , Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Ciudad Universitaria, Pab 2, 2do piso, 1428, Ciudad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Parasitology 132:57-65. 2006
..cruzi lineages directly from faeces of triatomines collected in a well-defined rural area in northwestern Argentina. Amplification of the variable regions of the kinetoplastid minicircle genome (kDNA-PCR) was performed in faecal ..
- Effect of an infection control program using education and performance feedback on rates of intravascular device-associated bloodstream infections in intensive care units in Argentina
Victor Daniel Rosenthal
Department of Infectious Diseases and Hospital Epidemiology, Bernal Medical Center, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Am J Infect Control 31:405-9. 2003
..METHODS: Within 4 level III, adult, intensive care units in Argentina, all admitted, adult patients with a central vascular catheter in place for at least 24 hours were included...
- Upscale or downscale: applications of fine scale remotely sensed data to Chagas disease in Argentina and schistosomiasis in Kenya
College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61802, USA
Geospat Health 1:49-58. 2006
..In a study of Chagas disease in northwest Argentina, the reinfestation process of communities by the main domestic vector was analyzed using spatial statistics; ..
- Therapeutic outcome 3 years after switching of immunomodulatory therapies in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis in Argentina
Multiple Sclerosis Centre, Hospital Britanico, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Eur J Neurol 15:386-93. 2008
..Median EDSS scores remained stable in all groups except the GA to IFNbeta switchers. In conclusion, patients who fail first-line immunomodulatory therapy generally benefit from switching to another class of immunomodulatory therapy...
- Detection by RT-PCR and genetic characterization of canine distemper virus from vaccinated and non-vaccinated dogs in Argentina
Marina Gallo Calderon
Centro de Virologia Animal CEVAN CONICET, Centro de Ciencia y Tecnología Dr Cesar Milstein, Saladillo 2468, C1440FFX, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Vet Microbiol 125:341-9. 2007
..of the local strains, Arg 23, branched out of the root of the Argentine clade, close to the European strains, suggesting that two different pathogenic CDV genotypes are currently circulating in Argentina, one of them clearly predominant.
- Infestation of rural houses by Triatoma infestans (Hemiptera: Reduviidae) in southern area of Gran Chaco in Argentina
Centro Regional de Investigaciones Científicas y Transferencia Tecnológica CRILAR, Entre Ríos y Mendoza s n 5301 Anillaco, La Rioja, Argentina
J Med Entomol 43:1060-7. 2006
..before and after house spraying with deltamethrin in the San Martin Department (an arid Chaco region of central Argentina). The overall peridomestic infestation index decreased from 48.2 to 28.2% after insecticide application...
- Cost-effectiveness of chagas disease vector control strategies in Northwestern Argentina
Gonzalo M Vazquez-Prokopec
Laboratorio de Eco Epidemiología, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Ciudad Universitaria, Buenos Aires, Argentina
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e363. 2009
Control and prevention of Chagas disease rely mostly on residual spraying of insecticides. In Argentina, vector control shifted from a vertical to a fully horizontal strategy based on community participation between 1992 and 2004...
- Genetic structure of Triatoma infestans populations in rural communities of Santiago del Estero, northern Argentina
P L Marcet
Laboratorio de Eco Epidemiología, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Infect Genet Evol 8:835-46. 2008
..Putative sources and mechanisms of re-infestation are described. These data may be use to design improved vector control strategies...
- Chemosensory perception and medicinal plants for digestive ailments in a Mapuche community in NW Patagonia, Argentina
INIBIOMA, Laboratorio Ecotono, Centro Regional Universitario Bariloche CONICET, Quintral 1250, S C de Bariloche 8400, Rio Negro, Argentina
J Ethnopharmacol 123:397-406. 2009
..To document the richness of plant species used in gastrointestinal disorders and to investigate about the criteria of aroma and flavor associated with its recognition, classification, selection and use...
- Dynamics of potentially protective compounds in Rhodophyta species from Patagonia (Argentina) exposed to solar radiation
E Walter Helbling
Estación de Fotobiología Playa Unión and Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas, Rifleros 227 Playa Unión, Rawson, Chubut, Argentina
J Photochem Photobiol B 75:63-71. 2004
..Based on our results, the variable impact of solar radiation upon productivity (and eventually biodiversity) of macroalgae from Patagonia might consequently differentially affect higher trophic levels of the aquatic food web...
- Lactational amenorrhoea in well-nourished Toba women of Formosa, Argentina
Department of Anthropology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA
J Biosoc Sci 36:573-95. 2004
- Dictyostelids living in the soils of the Atlantic forest, Iguazú region, Misiones, Argentina: description of new species
Eduardo M Vadell
Departamento de Biodiversidad y Biología, Experimental, 4 piso II Pabellón, Ciudad Universitaria, FCEN, UBA, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mycologia 99:112-24. 2007
..from soils of the Atlantic Subtropical Rain Forest at the Iguazú Falls, Northeastern Misiones Province, Argentina. Seven new species are described herein, one of them is a Polysphondylium, while the rest of the species belong ..
- [Inequalities in health and socioeconomics: an epidemiological undertaking in an urban area of Argentina]
Maestría en Epidemiología, Gestión y Políticas de Salud, Universidad Nacional de Lanús, Provincia de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Rev Panam Salud Publica 21:1-10. 2007
..To understand how certain socioeconomic factors interact with health indicators at the local level, so that health inequalities may be better addressed...
- Complete coding sequences of dengue-1 viruses from Paraguay and Argentina
Department of Microbiology, University of Nevada, Reno, MS 200, Reno, NV 89557, USA
Virus Res 98:75-82. 2003
We have determined the complete coding sequences of six dengue-1 (DEN-1) viruses isolated from Paraguay and Argentina in 2000 from patients with dengue fever...
- High prevalence of HTLV-I and HTLV-II among blood donors in Argentina: a South American health concern
Mirna M Biglione
Centro Nacional de Referencia para el SIDA (CNRS, , Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 21:1-4. 2005
After an HTLV-I endemic area was discovered in Jujuy, a northwestern province in Argentina, to detect other possible foci of HTLV-I/II we started in 1997 a multicentric study to estimate the seroprevalence of HTLV-I/II including blood ..
- Phylogeography of the armadillo Chaetophractus villosus (Dasypodidae Xenarthra): post-glacial range expansion from Pampas to Patagonia (Argentina)
Laboratorio de Ecología Molecular, Centro Regional de Estudios Genómicos, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, Av Calchaquí km 23 5 Piso 4, CP 1888 Florencio Varela, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mol Phylogenet Evol 55:38-46. 2010
We report a phylogeographic study of Chaetophractus villosus populations in Argentina. Control Region (CR) sequences (484 bp) were obtained for 76 C. villosus from 20 locations across the species whole distribution range...
- Sources, vertical fluxes, and equivalent toxicity of aromatic hydrocarbons in coastal sediments of the Río de la Plata Estuary, Argentina
J C Colombo
Laboratorio de Química Ambiental y Biogeoquímica, Facultad de Ciencias Naturales y Museo, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, Av Calchaqui km 23500 1888 Florencio Varela, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Environ Sci Technol 40:734-40. 2006
..In contrast, PAH TEQs were dominated by indeno[1,2,3-cd]pyrene, benzo[k]fluoranthene, benzo[a]pyrene, perylene, and benz[a]anthracene which accounted for an average 86 +/- 5.7% of total TEQs...
- Environmental and demographic factors determining the spatial distribution of Triatoma guasayana in peridomestic and semi-sylvatic habitats of rural northwestern Argentina
G M Vazquez-Prokopec
Eco Epidemiology Laboratory, Department of Ecology, Genetics and Evolution, University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Med Vet Entomol 22:273-82. 2008
..a sylvatic vector of Chagas' disease, occurs in natural and peridomestic habitats of the dry Chaco region of Argentina, Bolivia and Paraguay. Ten-year retrospective spatial analyses of peridomestic T...
- Social inequality in Pap smear coverage: identifying under-users of cervical cancer screening in Argentina
Centro de Estudios de Estado y Sociedad CEDES and Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas CONICET, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reprod Health Matters 16:50-8. 2008
In Argentina, the unequal distribution of the burden of cervical cancer is striking: the mortality rate of the province of Jujuy (15/100,000) is almost four times higher than that of the city of Buenos Aires (4/100,000)...
- Further study on Ascogregarina culicis in temperate Argentina: prevalence and intensity in Aedes aegypti larvae and pupae
Andrea Paola Albicócco
Unidad de Ecología de Reservorios y Vectores de Parásitos, Departamento de Ecologia, Genetica y Evolucion, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Ciudad Universitaria, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Invertebr Pathol 101:210-4. 2009
..Our main objective was to characterize Ascogregarina culicis population in Aedes aegypti immatures in temperate Argentina. A total of 1800 water-filled containers were inspected within a cemetery of Buenos Aires City through a ..
- Propolis from the northwest of Argentina as a source of antifungal principles
E N Quiroga
J Appl Microbiol 101:103-10. 2006
..of this propolis (pinocembrin and galangin) showed that the propolis from 'El SiambÃ³n', TucumÃ¡n, Argentina, is a suitable source of antifungal products...
- Population stratification in Argentina strongly influences likelihood ratio estimates in paternity testing as revealed by a simulation-based approach
PRICAI FUNDACION FAVALORO, Capital Federal Buenos Aires, Argentina
Int J Legal Med 124:63-9. 2010
..analysis was carried out to investigate the potential effects of population substructure in paternity testing in Argentina. The study was performed by evaluating paternity indexes (PI) calculated from different simulated pedigree ..
- Burnout, perceived stress, and depression among cardiology residents in Argentina
Silvina V Waldman
Cardiology, Fundacion para la Lucha contra las Enfermedades Neurologicas de la Infancia, Montaneses 2325, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Acad Psychiatry 33:296-301. 2009
..for psychological distress, the authors studied the prevalence of burnout, perceived stress, and depression in cardiology residents in Argentina and examined the association between sociodemographic characteristics and these syndromes.
- Genetic diversity of GBV-C/HGV strains among HIV infected-IVDU and blood donors from Buenos Aires, Argentina
J R Oubiña
Laboratorio de Hepatitis Virales, Departamento Microbiologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Buenos Aires, 1121, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Virus Res 65:121-9. 1999
..serum samples from 70 HIV(+) intravenous drug users (IVDU), as well as from 200 blood donors from Buenos Aires, Argentina. Viral RNA was demonstrated in 21 IVDU by reverse transcription-nested PCR of the 5' UTR...
- Patterns of Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) infestation and container productivity measured using pupal and Stegomyia indices in northern Argentina
F M Garelli
Laboratorio de Eco Epidemiología, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires
J Med Entomol 46:1176-86. 2009
..use of larvicides reduced infestations but failed to achieve the desired target levels in Clorinda, northeastern Argentina, over 5 yr of interventions...
- Evaluation of minority populations of HIV type-1 with K103N and M184V drug resistance mutations among children in Argentina
National Reference Center for AIDS, School of Medicine, University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Antivir Ther 14:1175-81. 2009
- [The genotype of the principal Mycobacterium bovis in Argentina is also that of the British Isles: did bovine tuberculosis come from Great Britain?]
A A Cataldi
Instituto de Biotecnologia, CNIA INTA, Los Reseros y Las Cabanas, 1712 Castelar, Argentina
Rev Argent Microbiol 34:1-6. 2002
Bovine tuberculosis is a highly prevalent animal disease in Argentina. In this work evidence was obtained showing that a major Mycobacterium bovis group in Argentina had been introduced with the bovine bulls imported from the United ..
- Prevalence of hospital malnutrition in Argentina: preliminary results of a population-based study
Diego F Wyszynski
Boston University School of Medicine and School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Nutrition 19:115-9. 2003
We investigated the prevalence of malnutrition in a sample of hospitalized patients in Argentina.
- Thyroid cancer and thyroiditis in Salta, Argentina: a 40-yr study in relation to iodine prophylaxis
H Ruben Harach
Services of Pathology, Dr A Onativia Endocrinology and Metabolism Hospital, Salta, Argentina
Endocr Pathol 13:175-81. 2002
The natural history of thyroid cancer and thyroiditis in relation to iodine prophylaxis in the region of Salta, Argentina, where goiter is common was investigated over a time span of 40 yr...
- HTLV type 1 genetic types among native descendants in Argentina
Laboratory of Human Lymphotropic Viruses, Institute of Virology, School of Medicine, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Cordoba, Argentina
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 24:1139-46. 2008
The province of San Salvador de Jujuy, located in the northwest of Argentina, is a highly endemic area for HTLV-1 infection and a foci of tropical spastic paraparesis/HTLV-1-associated myelopathy (HAM/TSP)...
- Characterization of in vitro-generated and clinical optochin-resistant strains of Streptococcus pneumoniae isolated from Argentina
Paulo R Cortes
Departamento de Bioquimica Clinica, CIBICI, CONICET, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Medina Allende esq Haya de la Torre, Ciudad Universitaria, X5000HUA Córdoba, Argentina
J Clin Microbiol 46:1930-4. 2008
..pneumoniae and may be carried by circulating pneumococcal strains...
- Amerindian ancestry in Argentina is associated with increased risk for systemic lupus erythematosus
M F Seldin
Rowe Program in Human Genetics, Departments of Biological Chemistry and Medicine, University of California Davis, Davis, CA, USA
Genes Immun 9:389-93. 2008
..In the current study, the effect of Amerindian ancestry in SLE was examined in an admixed population in Argentina. The Argentine population is predominantly European with approximately 20% Amerindian admixture, and a very ..
- [Human papillomavirus genotype distribution in cervical infections among woman in La Plata, Argentina]
M C Abba
Centro de Investigaciones en Genética Básica y Aplicada CIGEBA, Facultad de Ciencias Veterinarias, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, Calle 60 y 118 S N, CC 296, B1900AVW La Plata, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Rev Argent Microbiol 35:74-9. 2003
..study was to investigate the endemic HPV-genotype spectrum in a population of women from the city of La Plata, Argentina. With this purpose, 718 cervical scrapes or biopsies corresponding to 152 normal samples (Pap I/II), 84 samples ..
- Modeling effects of environment, insect damage, and Bt genotypes on fumonisin accumulation in maize in Argentina and the Philippines
Regina De La Campa
Ottawa-Carleton Institute of Chemistry, Carleton University, Ottawa, ON, K1S 5B6, Canada
Mycopathologia 159:539-52. 2005
..Bt), were associated with fumonisin accumulation in the grain of maize across contrasting environments in Argentina and the Philippines between 2000 and 2002. Average fumonisin concentrations in grain samples varied from 0...
- Mortality and morbidity from moderate to severe traumatic brain injury in Argentina
Hospital de Emergencias Dr. Clemente Alvarez, Rosario, Argentina
J Head Trauma Rehabil 20:368-76. 2005
After adopting the Guidelines for the Management of Severe Head Injury, critical care physicians in Argentina reduced the mortality rate of patients with traumatic brain injury (TBI)...
- Genetic variability of Phytophthora sojae isolates from Argentina
Fitopatologia, Facultad de Agronomia, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Avenida San Martin 4453, 1417 Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mycologia 99:877-83. 2007
..Genetic diversity of 32 Phytophthora sojae isolates of different geographic origin from Argentina was evaluated with RAPD markers...
- Triatomines involved in domestic and wild Trypanosoma cruzi transmission in Concepción, Corrientes, Argentina
María Esther Bar
Cátedra de Artrópodos, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales y Agrimensura, Universidad Nacional del Nordeste, Av Libertad 5470 3400 Corrientes, Argentina
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 97:43-6. 2002
..serological survey was performed in three localities of the Department of Concepción, Province of Corrientes, Argentina in 1998 and 1999, to identify triatomines species involved in domestic and wild transmission of Chagas disease...
- [Hantavirus in human and rodent population in an endemic area for hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in Argentina]
Centro Nacional de Diagnóstico e Investigación, Endemo epidemias CeNDIE Administración Nacional, Laboratorios e Institutos de Salud ANLIS Dr Carlos G Malbrán
Medicina (B Aires) 62:1-8. 2002
..Orán and San Martín Departments), area with the highest incidence for Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS) in Argentina. In December 1997, 453 healthy people were studied by serology and 39 rodents by serology and PCR...
- [Tegumentary leishmaniasis in area with epidemic levels of transmission, Salta, Argentina, 1998]
O D Salomon
Centro Nacional de Diagnóstico e Investigación en Endemo Epidemias CeNDIE, Administración Nacional de Laboratorios e Institutos de Salud Dr Carlos G Malbrán ANLIS, Ministerio de Salud, Buenos Aires
Medicina (B Aires) 61:284-90. 2001
..The results are discussed in the frame of possible control strategies...
- [Acute infectious gastroenteritis in Rio Cuarto: clinic, diagnosis and epidemiology with special reference to viral infections]
Carlos A Soñez
Dpto de Anatomía, FAV, Universidad Nacional de Rio Cuarto
Rev Fac Cien Med Univ Nac Cordoba 59:45-55. 2002
..treatment; to develop for the first time a fast diagnostic using electron microscopy in Río Cuarto, Córdoba, Argentina, considering the university and community collaboration in the viral diagnostic...
- Study of a cutaneous leishmaniasis outbreak in General Vedia, Province of Chaco, 1996
O D Salomon
, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 43:99-104. 2001
..Lutzomyia intermedia, a species already incriminated as a vector of Leishmaniasis in other provinces of northern Argentina, were captured and identified in the focus locality in May 1996...
- [Children enteroparasitosis in north east Argentine urban area]
Alicia M F Milano
Catedra de Parasitologia, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales y Agrimensura, Universidad Nacional del Nordeste, Corrientes, Argentina
Medicina (B Aires) 67:238-42. 2007
- Distribution of intestinal parasitoses in relation to environmental and sociocultural parameters in La Plata, Argentina
M I Gamboa
, , Universidad Nacional de La Plata, 1900 La Plata, Argentina
J Helminthol 77:15-20. 2003
..the distribution of parasite species in three neighbourhoods of differing socioeconomic conditions in La Plata, Argentina were analysed...
- Heterogeneous distribution of human cystic echinococcosis after a long-term control program in Neuquén, Patagonia Argentina
Nora B Pierangeli
Catedra de Microbiologia y Parasitologia, Escuela de Medicina, Universidad Nacional del Comahue, Buenos Aires 1400, 8300, Neuquen, Argentina
Parasitol Int 56:149-55. 2007
..of human cystic echinococcosis (CE) epidemiological data carried out in the province of Neuquén, Patagonia Argentina, after 34 years of uninterrupted control program...