Summary: A province of Canada, lying between the provinces of Alberta and Manitoba. Its capital is Regina. It is entirely a plains region with prairie in the south and wooded country with many lakes and swamps in the north. The name was taken from the Saskatchewan River from the Cree name Kisiskatchewani Sipi, meaning rapid-flowing river. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p1083 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p486)
Publications209 found, 100 shown here
- Cardiovascular disease in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, Saskatchewan Canada cardiovascular disease in COPD patientsSuellen M Curkendall
Cerner Health Insights, Vienna, VA 22182, USA
Ann Epidemiol 16:63-70. 2006..To measure prevalence, incidence, and mortality of cardiovascular outcomes among persons with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and to assess the extent these outcomes differ from persons without COPD...
- Health care utilization and costs in Saskatchewan's registered Indian population with diabetesSheri L Pohar
Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technology in Health, Ottawa, Canada
BMC Health Serv Res 7:126. 2007..Our objective was to compare health care utilization and per capita expenditures according to Registered Indian and diabetes status in the province of Saskatchewan.
- Prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization in horses in Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British ColumbiaNathalie Tokateloff
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Can Vet J 50:1177-80. 2009..Surveillance is warranted because of the potential of MRSA to cause disease in horses and humans...
- The Saskatchewan Farm Injury Cohort: rationale and methodologyWilliam Pickett
Department of Community Health and Epidemiology, Queen s University, Kingston, ON, Canada
Public Health Rep 123:567-75. 2008The Saskatchewan Farm Injury Cohort (SFIC) is a major new Canadian study that was developed to evaluate potential causes of injury among farmers and their family members...
- Comparison of treatment received versus long-standing guidelines for stage III colon and stage II/III rectal cancer patients diagnosed in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba in 2004Marilyn Cree
Alberta Cancer Board, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Clin Colorectal Cancer 8:141-5. 2009..This study measures adherence to guidelines across 3 Canadian provinces and evaluates the relationship of patient characteristics with receiving standard care...
- Positive predictive value of ICD-9 codes 410 and 411 in the identification of cases of acute coronary syndromes in the Saskatchewan Hospital automated databaseCristina Varas-Lorenzo
RTI Health Solutions, Epidemiology, Barcelona, Spain
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 17:842-52. 2008..Case definitions are essential to epidemiological research...
- Seroprevalence of human metapneumovirus (hMPV) in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan analyzed by a recombinant nucleocapsid protein-based enzyme-linked immunosorbent assayLi Liu
National Microbiology Laboratory, Public Health Agency of Canada, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
J Med Virol 79:308-13. 2007..To determine the seroprevalence of hMPV, a total of 576 human sera from patients in Saskatchewan, Canada, were screened by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) based on expression of the nucleocapsid (N) ..
- Saskatchewan physicians' attitudes and knowledge regarding assessment of medical fitness to driveS C Marshall
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ont
CMAJ 160:1701-4. 1999Although legislation has been introduced in Saskatchewan for mandatory reporting by physicians of patients considered medically unfit to drive, little is known about physicians' attitudes, knowledge or resources with regard to evaluating ..
- The Saskatchewan Surgical Care Network--toward timely and appropriate accessPeter A R Glynn
Acute and Emergency Services Branch, Saskatchewan Health
Hosp Q 7:44-8, 4. 2003Earlier this year, a paper in Hospital Quarterly, "Creating a Surgical Wait List Management Strategy for Saskatchewan," described the development of a surgical wait list strategy for Saskatchewan...
- Collaboration between family physicians and community pharmacists to enhance adherence to chronic medications: opinions of Saskatchewan family physiciansTessa Laubscher
Department of Academic Family Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, 3311 Fairlight Dr, Saskatoon, SK S7M 3Y5
Can Fam Physician 55:e69-75. 2009....
- Differences in respiratory symptoms and pulmonary function in children in 2 Saskatchewan communitiesDonna C Rennie
College of Nursing, Institute of Agricultural, Rural and Environmental Health, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 92:52-9. 2004..Asthma prevalence is known to vary among different geographical regions both nationally and internationally. However, there is limited understanding of the nature of differences within geographical regions...
- Perceptions of Saskatchewan community pharmacists regarding a prior-authorization programJason Perepelkin
College of Pharmacy and Nutirtion, University of Saskatchewan, Canada
J Manag Care Pharm 13:589-97. 2007In 1999, Saskatchewan Health authorized pharmacists to initiate exception drug status (EDS) requests, also known as prior authorization (PA)...
- Pertussis in rural populations of Saskatchewan (1995 to 2003): incidence, seasonality, and differences among casesDavid Vickers
Department of Community Health and Epidemiology, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK
Can J Public Health 97:459-64. 2006..This study described the epidemiology of pertussis in the rural areas of the Saskatoon Regional Health Authority in Saskatchewan, and comparisons were made to the City of Saskatoon.
- Beverage intake improvement by high school students in Saskatchewan, CanadaElisabeth Lo
College of Pharmacy and Nutrition, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK, Canada S7N 5C9
Nutr Res 28:144-50. 2008..Effectively for Living) on nutrition knowledge, attitude, and self-reported behavior of grade 9 students in Saskatchewan, Canada...
- Incidence and prevalence of multiple sclerosis in Saskatoon, SaskatchewanWalter J Hader
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Neurology 69:1224-9. 2007To determine the incidence of multiple sclerosis (MS) in a longitudinal surveillance over 35 years and to estimate the prevalence rate in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, on January 1, 2005.
- Diabetes risk evaluation and microalbuminuria (DREAM) studies: ten years of participatory research with a First Nation's home and community model for type 2 diabetes care in Northern SaskatchewanGeorge Pylypchuk
Sunnybrook Health Science Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Int J Circumpolar Health 67:190-202. 2008..To review the DREAM studies and the role of participatory research using a Home and Community Care model in treating First Nations diabetes...
- The use of selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors and the risk of acute myocardial infarction in Saskatchewan, CanadaCristina Varas-Lorenzo
Pfizer, Global Epidemiology, Barcelona, Spain
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 18:1016-25. 2009....
- Granulocytic anaplasmosis in three dogs from Saskatoon, SaskatchewanKen R Cockwill
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, 52 Campus Drive, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7N 5B4
Can Vet J 50:835-40. 2009Three dogs from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan were diagnosed with acute granulocytic anaplasmosis. Fever, lethargy, inappetence, vomiting, diarrhea, and lameness were reported...
- Impact of rural hospital closures in Saskatchewan, CanadaL Liu
Health Services Utilization and Research Commission HSURC, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Soc Sci Med 52:1793-804. 2001Canada's health care system has undergone major changes since 1990. In Saskatchewan, 52 small rural hospitals funded for less than eight beds stopped receiving funding for acute care services in 1993...
- An outbreak of trichinellosis due to consumption of bear meat infected with Trichinella nativa, in 2 northern Saskatchewan communitiesRoberta S Schellenberg
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
J Infect Dis 188:835-43. 2003In June 2000, bear meat infected with Trichinella nativa was consumed by 78 individuals in 2 northern Saskatchewan communities...
- Association between cytochrome P450 3A5 polymorphism and the lung function in Saskatchewan grain workersTakayuki Seo
Division of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Graduate School of Medical and Pharmaceutical Science, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
Pharmacogenet Genomics 18:487-93. 2008..Cytochrome P450 (CYP) 3A5 is expressed selectively over CYP3A4 in human lung, but the association between the CYP3A5 polymorphisms and the airway injury is unknown...
- Integrating strategic environmental assessment with industry planning: a case study of the Pasquai-Porcupine forest management plan, Saskatchewan, CanadaBram F Noble
Department of Geography, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK, Canada, S7N 5A5
Environ Manage 33:401-11. 2004..Based on a case study of the Pasquai-Porcupine forest management plan in Saskatchewan, Canada, this paper illustrates how an integrated approach to SEA can contribute to industry environmental ..
- An evaluation of Think First Saskatchewan: a head and spinal cord injury prevention programMarni L Wesner
University of Alberta Glen Sather Sport Medicine Clinic
Can J Public Health 94:115-20. 2003..to assess the awareness of severity and susceptibility to brain and spinal cord injury, and to evaluate the impact of the Think First Saskatchewan school visit program on students' knowledge of brain and spinal cord injury prevention.
- Evidence of herpesvirus infection in Woodland Caribou in SaskatchewanLorne T Jordan
Canadian Food Inspection Agency, Lethbridge Laboratory, P O Box 640, Township Road 9 1, Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada T1J 3Z4
J Wildl Dis 39:216-20. 2003Sera were collected from 40 female and two male woodland caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou) in Saskatchewan (Canada) from March 1992 to January 1995, inclusive. The samples were examined for antibodies against smooth Brucella spp...
- Microsatellite markers provide evidence for sexual reproduction of Mycosphaerella graminicola in SaskatchewanM Razavi
Department of Plant Sciences, University of Saskatchewan, 51 Campus Drive, Saskatoon, SK S7N 5A8, Canada
Genome 47:789-94. 2004This study examined the genetic structure of a Saskatchewan population of Mycosphaerella graminicola, cause of the foliar disease Septoria tritici blotch of wheat...
- Alpha-synuclein polymorphisms are associated with Parkinson's disease in a Saskatchewan populationAlex Rajput
Division of Neurology, University of Saskatchewan and Saskatoon Health Region, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Mov Disord 24:2411-4. 2009..013) and genetic variation in D4S3481 (Rep1) was associated with age of disease onset (P = 0.007). There was a trend toward association between variation at rs2583988 and rapid PD progression...
- Canine brucellosis in a Saskatchewan kennelSebastian J Brennan
Department of Veterinary Pathology, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, 52 Campus Drive, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7N 5B4
Can Vet J 49:703-8. 2008..Gender differences are described. The progestational, nongravid uterus, female spleen, and prostate gland are consistent sites of bacterial isolation...
- Acute posttraumatic stress symptoms and depression after exposure to the 2005 Saskatchewan Centennial Air Show disaster: prevalence and predictorsSteven Taylor
Department of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia, British Columbia, Canada
Am J Disaster Med 2:217-30. 2007..distress-that is, clinically significant posttraumatic stress symptoms (PTSS) and depression-and to identify predictors of each in a sample of people who witnessed a fatal aircraft collision at the 2005 Saskatchewan Centennial Air Show.
- The Saskatchewan health and back pain survey. The prevalence of low back pain and related disability in Saskatchewan adultsJ D Cassidy
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:1860-6; discussion 1867. 1998..determine the lifetime, 6-month period, and point prevalence of low back pain and its related disability among Saskatchewan adults and to investigate the presence and strength of selective response bias...
- Evidence of suboptimal management of cardiovascular risk in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and symptomatic atherosclerosisLauren C Brown
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Alberta, and the Institute of Health Economics, Edmonton
CMAJ 171:1189-92. 2004..e., coronary artery disease [CAD], cerebrovascular disease [CBVD] or peripheral arterial disease [PAD])...
- Seroprevalence of antibodies against bovine leukemia virus, bovine viral diarrhea virus, Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis, and Neospora caninum in dairy cattle in SaskatchewanJohn A VanLeeuwen
Department of Health Management, Atlantic Veterinary College, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 4P3
Can Vet J 46:56-8. 2005..4%, 2.7%, and 5.6% of cows were test positive, respectively, while 29.2% of herds had unvaccinated animals with > or = 1:64 for bovine viral diarrhea virus...
- 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylate (ACC) deaminase genes in rhizobia from southern SaskatchewanJin Duan
Department of Biology, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada
Microb Ecol 57:423-36. 2009A collection of 233 rhizobia strains from 30 different sites across Saskatchewan, Canada was assayed for 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylate (ACC) deaminase activity, with 27 of the strains displaying activity...
- Microbial distribution and diversity in saturated, high pH, uranium mine tailings, Saskatchewan, CanadaG M Wolfaardt
Department of Chemistry and Biology, Ryerson University, 350 Victoria Street, Toronto, ON M5B2K3, Canada
Can J Microbiol 54:932-40. 2008..0-66 m below surface) from the tailings management facility (TMF) at the Rabbit Lake uranium mine in northern Saskatchewan, Canada...
- Longitudinal decline in lung function measurements among Saskatchewan grain workersPunam Pahwa
Department of Community Health andEpidemiology, Institute of Agricultural, Rural andEnvironmental Health, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
Can Respir J 10:135-41. 2003To evaluate the relationship between the long term effects of grain dust and decline in lung function among grain elevator workers in Saskatchewan, studied over a 15-year period.
- Mycoplasma haemofelis and Mycoplasma haemominutum detection by polymerase chain reaction in cats from Saskatchewan and AlbertaKathryn E Kewish
Department of Veterinary Pathology, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, 52 Campus Drive, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7N 5B4
Can Vet J 45:749-52. 2004..use polymerase chain reaction technology to determine if both organisms exist in naturally infected cats from Saskatchewan and Alberta, and to determine if disease manifestation corresponds to mycoplasma species...
- Insect succession and decomposition patterns on shaded and sunlit carrion in Saskatchewan in three different seasonsBarbara J Sharanowski
University of Kentucky, Department of Entomology, S 225 Agricultural Science Center North, Lexington, KY 40546 0091, USA
Forensic Sci Int 179:219-40. 2008A study was conducted on decomposition and insect succession in the Prairie Ecozone of Saskatchewan in the year 2000...
- Increased frequency of HLA A2/DR4 and A2/DR8 haplotypes in young saskatchewan aboriginal people with diabetic end-stage renal diseaseRoland Dyck
Department of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
Am J Nephrol 23:178-85. 2003To determine the association of HLA with diabetic end-stage renal disease (DESRD) in Saskatchewan aboriginal people.
- Antimicrobial susceptibility of hazard analysis critical control point Escherichia coli isolates from federally inspected beef processing plants in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and OntarioJoyce Van Donkersgoed
Dr Joyce Van Donkersgoed Veterinary Services Inc, 11 Bruns Road, Lacombe, Alberta T4L 1P1
Can Vet J 44:723-8. 2003..coli, is fairly easy to obtain for surveillance but Salmonella are not, due to their low prevalence in beef...
- Pathology, isolation, and preliminary molecular characterization of a novel iridovirus from tiger salamanders in SaskatchewanT K Bollinger
Canadian Cooperative Wildlife Health Centre, Department of Veterinary Pathology, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan
J Wildl Dis 35:413-29. 1999..in larval and adult tiger salamanders (Ambystoma tigrinum diaboli) from four separate ponds in southern Saskatchewan (Canada) during the summer of 1997...
- From "thrifty genotype" to "hefty fetal phenotype": the relationship between high birthweight and diabetes in Saskatchewan Registered IndiansR F Dyck
College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK
Can J Public Health 92:340-4. 2001..Intrauterine factors have been implicated in the pathogenesis of Type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM)...
- Unconventional therapy use among children with cancer in SaskatchewanJ Bold
Department of Community Health and Epidemiology, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
J Pediatr Oncol Nurs 18:16-25. 2001The study aimed to estimate the prevalence of unconventional therapy use among children with cancer in Saskatchewan, including identification of the most commonly used therapies, and to describe families' expectations and experiences in ..
- Highly pathogenic avian influenza virus A (H7N3) in domestic poultry, Saskatchewan, Canada, 2007Yohannes Berhane
Canadian Food Inspection Agency, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Emerg Infect Dis 15:1492-5. 2009..methods were used to investigate an outbreak of highly pathogenic avian influenza on a broiler breeding farm in Saskatchewan, Canada...
- Prostate cancer in Saskatchewan Canada, before and during the PSA eraD Skarsgard
Department of Radiation Oncology, Saskatoon Cancer Centre, Saskatchewan, Canada
Cancer Causes Control 11:79-88. 2000..changes in the incidence of prostate cancer and in survival of diagnosed cases, as well as prostate cancer-specific mortality, during a period spanning the introduction of prostate specific antigen (PSA) testing in Saskatchewan in 1990.
- The relationship between diabetes and tuberculosis in Saskatchewan: comparison of registered Indians and other Saskatchewan peopleRoland F Dyck
Department of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK
Can J Public Health 98:55-9. 2007b>Saskatchewan Aboriginal people are experiencing epidemics of both type 2 diabetes (T2DM) and tuberculosis (TB)...
- The factors associated with neck pain and its related disability in the Saskatchewan populationP Cote
Institute for Work and Health and Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:1109-17. 2000..Population-based, cross-sectional mailed survey...
- Prediction of human cases of West Nile virus by equine cases, Saskatchewan, Canada, 2003Rebecca L A Corrigan
Large Animal Clinical Sciences, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, 52 Campus Drive, Saskatoon, SK, S7N 5B4, Canada
Prev Vet Med 76:263-72. 2006In 2003, an outbreak of West Nile virus (WNV) occurred in Saskatchewan, Canada from July to September...
- Epidemiology of an outbreak of chronic wasting disease on elk farms in SaskatchewanConnie K Argue
Western Animal Health Program Network, Canadian Food Inspection Agency, Calgary, Alberta
Can Vet J 48:1241-8. 2007An outbreak of chronic wasting disease (CWD) in farmed elk in Saskatchewan from 1996 to 2002 was reviewed to 1, determine the progression of CWD from infection to death in farmed elk; 2, assess animal risk factors for CWD infection in ..
- An investigation of the impact of supplementary health benefits for low-income families in SaskatchewanTrish Livingstone
Saskatchewan Health, Regina, SK
Can J Public Health 95:74-8. 2004..Health Benefits, a supplementary benefits program that was introduced to lower-income, working families in Saskatchewan beginning in July 1998...
- The Saskatchewan Health and Back Pain Survey. The prevalence of neck pain and related disability in Saskatchewan adultsP Cote
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:1689-98. 1998..Population-based, cross-sectional mailed survey...
- A school nursing practicum at the University of Saskatchewan, CanadaBonnie M Schoenfeld
College of Nursing, University of Saskatchewan, 107 Wiggins Road, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, S7N 5E5, Canada
J Sch Health 73:281-3. 2003
- Improved clinical outcomes associated with metformin in patients with diabetes and heart failureDean T Eurich
Institute of Health Economics, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Diabetes Care 28:2345-51. 2005..The aim of this study was to evaluate the association between metformin and clinical outcomes in patients with heart failure and type 2 diabetes...
- Rodent-associated Bartonella in Saskatchewan, CanadaClaire Jardine
Department of Veterinary Pathology, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 5:402-9. 2005..in 2002 and 2003 to determine the prevalence of Bartonella infections in rodent communities near Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. Isolates were characterized genotypically and compared with isolates found at other locations...
- Knowledge loss of medical students on first year basic science courses at the University of SaskatchewanMarcel F D'Eon
Educational Support and Development, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, B103 Health Sciences Building, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, S7N 5E5, Canada
BMC Med Educ 6:5. 2006Many senior undergraduate students from the University of Saskatchewan indicated informally that they did not remember much from their first year courses and wondered why we were teaching content that did not seem relevant to later ..
- Cardiovascular disease in patients with schizophrenia in Saskatchewan, CanadaSuellen M Curkendall
Healthcare Data Analysis, Vienna, VA 22180, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 65:715-20. 2004..However, population-based data on the prevalence, incidence, and mortality of cardiovascular disease are needed...
- Stabilization of an increasing trend in physician-diagnosed asthma prevalence in Saskatchewan, 1991 to 1998Ambikaipakan Senthilselvan
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
Chest 124:438-48. 2003To determine the prevalence of asthma, bronchitis, and COPD using the physician services database of the Saskatchewan Health Department from 1991 to 1998.
- Escherichia coli O157:H7 vaccine field trial in 9 feedlots in Alberta and SaskatchewanJoyce Van Donkersgoed
Can Vet J 46:724-8. 2005..coli O157:H7 in 218 pens of feedlot cattle in 9 feedlots in Alberta and Saskatchewan. Pens of cattle were vaccinated once at arrival processing and again at reimplanting with either the E...
- Syndromic surveillance of gastrointestinal illness using pharmacy over-the-counter sales. A retrospective study of waterborne outbreaks in Saskatchewan and OntarioVictoria L Edge
Health Canada, Guelph, Ontario
Can J Public Health 95:446-50. 2004..To ascertain if monitoring over-the-counter (OTC) drug sales could provide a timely syndromic surveillance method of detecting outbreaks of gastrointestinal illness...
- Concordance on the recording of cancer in the Saskatchewan Cancer Agency Registry, hospital charts and death registrationsN S Rawson
Division of Community Health, Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s
Can J Public Health 91:390-3. 2000..The concordance of the recording of neoplasms in the Saskatchewan cancer registry with that in hospital charts and death registrations was evaluated for 368 patients...
- The incidence trends of primary brain tumors in Saskatchewan from 1970 to 2001F Pirouzmand
Division of Neurosurgery, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Can J Neurol Sci 34:181-6. 2007..This study documents epidemiology of primary BTs in Saskatchewan over three decades to define their current state, changing pattern over years and relative distribution in two ..
- Compliance with refilling prescriptions for atypical antipsychotic agents and its association with the risks for hospitalization, suicide, and death in patients with schizophrenia in Quebec and Saskatchewan: a retrospective database studyAlexandra Ward
Caro Research Institute, Concord, Massachusetts 01742, USA
Clin Ther 28:1912-21. 2006....
- Clinical impressions of anthrax from the 2006 outbreak in SaskatchewanChelsea G Himsworth
Canadian Food Inspection Agency, 247 111 Research Drive, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7N 3R2, Canada
Can Vet J 50:291-4. 2009Clinical signs and carcass traits observed during the 2006 Saskatchewan anthrax outbreak were largely consistent with those previously published, except for cutaneous anthrax and anthrax mastitis in cows, and subcutaneous edema in bulls ..
- Utilization of diabetes medication and cost of testing supplies in Saskatchewan, 2001Jeffrey A Johnson
Institute of Health Economics, Edmonton, Canada
BMC Health Serv Res 6:159. 2006..of antidiabetic medication use and the cost of testing supplies in Canada using information collected by Saskatchewan's Drug Plan (DP) in 2001...
- First Canadian outbreak of West Nile virus disease in farmed domestic ducks in SaskatchewanChris Wojnarowicz
Prairie Diagnostic Services, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
Can Vet J 48:1270-1. 2007
- The six-month incidence of clinically significant low back pain in the Saskatchewan adult populationClemon George
Unité de recherche en santé des populations, Centre de recherche du CHA de Québec, and the Département de Médecine Sociale et Préventive, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:1778-82. 2002..A population-based, longitudinal, mailed survey was conducted...
- Dental service use and its correlates in a dentate population: an analysis of the Saskatchewan population health and dynamics survey, 1999-2000Julie Kosteniuk
Applied Research, Department of Psychiatry, Royal University Hospital, 103 Hospital Dr, Saskatoon SK S7N 0W8
J Can Dent Assoc 72:731. 2006To document the frequency of self-reported use of dental services within a 2-year period by a sample of dentate Saskatchewan residents aged 18 years and older; explore the correlates associated with dental service use for men and women ..
- Prevalence of physician-diagnosed asthma in Saskatchewan, 1981 to 1990A Senthilselvan
Department of Community Health and Epidemiology, Centre for Agricultural Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
Chest 114:388-92. 1998To examine trends in asthma prevalence in the Province of Saskatchewan using the Medical Claim Insurance Branch (MCIB) database.
- The safety of rosuvastatin in comparison with other statins in over 25,000 statin users in the Saskatchewan Health DatabasesLuis Alberto García-Rodríguez
Spanish Centre for Pharmacoepidemiological Research CEIFE, Madrid, Spain
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 17:953-61. 2008..To compare mortality and the incidence of hospitalization for myopathy, rhabdomyolysis, acute renal failure and acute liver injury in patients receiving rosuvastatin and those taking other statins...
- Prevalence of Escherichia coli O157 in Saskatchewan cattle: characterization of isolates by using random amplified polymorphic DNA PCR, antibiotic resistance profiles, and pathogenicity determinantsSinisa Vidovic
Applied Microbiology and Food Science, 51 Campus Drive, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7N 5A8, Canada
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:4347-55. 2006The prevalence of Escherichia coli O157 associated with feedlot cattle in Saskatchewan was determined in a 10-month longitudinal study (3 feedlots) and a point prevalence study (20 feedlots). The prevalence of E...
- Seroprevalence of West Nile virus in Saskatchewan's Five Hills Health Region, 2003Tara L Schellenberg
Department of Public Health Services, Five Hills Health Region, Moose Jaw, SK
Can J Public Health 97:369-73. 2006The Five Hills Health Region of Saskatchewan reported the highest West Nile virus (WNV) case rates in the 2003 outbreak...
- Manitoba and Saskatchewan administrative health care utilization databases are used differently to answer epidemiologic research questionsAndrea C Tricco
Chalmers Research Group, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Epidemiol 61:192-197. 2008..To evaluate the use of two Canadian provincial databases by a systematic review of published studies that used them as a primary data source to answer epidemiologic and health services research questions...
- The use of alternative therapies in the Saskatchewan stroke rehabilitation populationJeff Blackmer
Division of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Ottawa, The Rehabilitation Centre, 505 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1H 8M2
BMC Complement Altern Med 2:7. 2002..The purpose of this study was to determine the percentage of stroke rehabilitation patients in Saskatchewan using alternative therapies, whether patients found these therapies effective in alleviating stroke-related ..
- What doesn't kill you makes you stronger: determinants of stress resiliency in rural people of Saskatchewan, CanadaNikki Gerrard
Adult Community Mental Health Services, Saskatoon Health Region, Fourth Floor, 715 Queen St, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7K 4X4
J Rural Health 20:59-66. 2004This article discusses a research study that explored how rural people in Saskatchewan, Canada, respond to stressful events and adversity, without outside interventions.
- Causes and clinical management of vertebral osteomyelitis in SaskatchewanE Joughin
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospital, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 16:261-4. 1991A retrospective review of all patients with vertebral osteomyelitis admitted to all Saskatchewan referral hospitals from 1973 to 1986 was undertaken to determine the incidence and clinical characteristics of the disease...
- General chemical water quality of private groundwater supplies in Saskatchewan, CanadaT S Thompson
Environmental Sciences Section, Provincial Laboratory, Saskatchewan Health, 3211 Albert Street, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada S4S 5W6
Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 70:447-54. 2003
- Antihypertensive drug therapy in Saskatchewan: patterns of use and determinants in hypertensionC Bourgault
Department of Epidemiology and Biostastics, Royal Victoria Hospital, McGill University Health Centre (MUHC, 687 Pine Ave W, Ross 4.29, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 1A1
Arch Intern Med 161:1873-9. 2001..determinants of patterns of use of antihypertensive agents in the first 5 years of hypertension treatment in Saskatchewan. METHODS: Patterns of use and modifications to therapy were derived from a careful examination of medication ..
- Antidepressants and risk of prostate cancer: a nested case-control studyH M Tamim
Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Community Studies, Lady Davis Institute for Medical Research, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 11:53-60. 2008..7767 prostate cancer cases diagnosed between 1981 and 2000 were accrued through the Saskatchewan Cancer Agency...
- Risk of hospitalization with peptic ulcer disease or gastrointestinal hemorrhage associated with nabumetone, Arthrotec, diclofenac, and naproxen in a population based cohort studyNigel L Ashworth
Division of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Rheumatol 32:2212-7. 2005....
- Survey on 'lumpy jaw' on deer farms in western Canada: prevalence and distribution, and identification of associated factorsR C Mainar-Jaime
Department of Veterinary Microbiology, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan 52 Campus Drive, Saskatoon, SK, S7N 5B4, Canada
N Z Vet J 55:30-9. 2007..LJ) in a population of white-tailed deer (WTD; Odocoileus virginianus) and mule deer (MD; Odocoileus hemionus) farms from the western Canadian provinces of Saskatchewan and Alberta, and to identify factors associated with its occurrence.
- Prevalence of antenatal depression in women enrolled in an outreach program in CanadaAngela Bowen
Community Health and Epidemiology in the College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 35:491-8. 2006..To determine the prevalence of depression and its correlates in pregnancy and to establish the appropriateness of using the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale with inner-city, high-risk pregnant women...
- Factors associated with detection of bromoxynil in a sample of rural residentsKaren M Semchuk
College of Nursing and Institute of Agricultural, Rural, and Environmental Health I ARE H, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
J Toxicol Environ Health A 66:103-32. 2003..blood plasma concentrations of target herbicides in a sample of rural residents (men, women, and youths) of Saskatchewan, Canada, and identified factors, based on self-reported data, associated with detection...
- Differential effect of damp housing on respiratory health in womenDonna Rennie
Institute of Agricultural Rural and Environmental Health, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
J Am Med Womens Assoc 60:46-51. 2005..To investigate the effect of exposure to damp housing on respiratory symptoms in women and men...
- Disease-specific survival for limited-stage small-cell lung cancer affected by statistical method of assessmentPatricia Tai
University of Saskatchewan, Faculty of Medicine, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
BMC Cancer 7:31. 2007..There might be substantive differences from the results using these models for the same patients, if different statistical methods were used, for example, Boag log-normal (cure-rate model), or log-normal survival analysis...
- Risk of breast cancer in relation to antibiotic useHani M Tamim
Research Center, King Saud Bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 17:144-50. 2008..There are conflicting results in the literature regarding the association between the antibiotic exposure and breast cancer risk. The aim of this study was to assess this association using a population-based approach...
- Type 2 diabetes does not increase risk of depressionLauren C Brown
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alta
CMAJ 175:42-6. 2006..The objective of our study was to evaluate whether people with diabetes have a greater incidence of depression than those without diabetes...
- Oral corticosteroid use and the risk of acute myocardial infarction in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseLaetitia Huiart
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, Royal Victoria Hospital and Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Can Respir J 13:134-8. 2006..The impact of the use of oral corticosteroids on the risk of acute myocardial infarction (AMI) in a cohort of patients with COPD was studied...
- Cardiovascular morbidity associated with nonadherence to statin therapyDavid F Blackburn
College of Pharmacy and Nutrition, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Pharmacotherapy 25:1035-43. 2005..To measure the extent of cardiovascular morbidity associated with nonadherence to 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitor (statin) therapy...
- Sparing of age-related macular degeneration in rheumatoid arthritisPatrick L McGeer
Kinsmen Laboratory of Neurological Research, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Neurobiol Aging 26:1199-203. 2005..We compared the prevalence of AMD in a prospectively followed cohort of rheumatoid arthritic (RA) patients from Saskatchewan with published data from four racially similar general populations...
- The time course of subsequent hospitalizations and associated costs in survivors of an ischemic stroke in CanadaJ Jaime Caro
Caro Research Institute, Concord, MA, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 6:99. 2006..Documentation of the hospitalizations rates following a stroke provides the inputs required for planning health services and to evaluate the economic efficiency of any new therapies...
- Use of antidepressants and risk of colorectal cancer: a nested case-control studyWanning Xu
Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and Occupational Health, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Lancet Oncol 7:301-8. 2006..We aimed to assess whether SSRI use was associated with a decreased risk of colorectal cancer, and tricyclic-antidepressant use with an increased risk of colorectal cancer...
- Use of warfarin and risk of urogenital cancer: a population-based, nested case-control studyVicky Tagalakis
Centre for Clinical Epidemiology and Community Studies, SMBD Jewish General Hospital, Montreal, QC, Canada
Lancet Oncol 8:395-402. 2007..Indirect evidence suggests that prolonged treatment with warfarin might be associated with a decreased incidence of urogenital cancer. We aimed to assess this association in a large population-based study...
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease severity and cardiovascular outcomesSuellen M Curkendall
Cerner LifeSciences, 1953 Gallows Road, Suite 570, Vienna, VA 22182, USA
Eur J Epidemiol 21:803-13. 2006..To identify predictors of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) severity and assess the relation between COPD severity and risk of cardiovascular outcomes...
- Greater effect of enhanced pharmacist care on cholesterol management in patients with diabetes mellitus: a planned subgroup analysis of the Study of Cardiovascular Risk Intervention by Pharmacists (SCRIP)Scot H Simpson
Institute of Health Economics, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Pharmacotherapy 24:389-94. 2004..To determine the effect of enhanced pharmacist care on cholesterol management in patients with and without diabetes mellitus...
- Giant cell arteritis in a neuro-ophthalmology clinic in Saskatoon, 1998-2003Cory L Ramstead
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alta
Can J Ophthalmol 42:295-8. 2007We present a retrospective review of all biopsy-positive cases of giant cell arteritis (GCA) presenting to a neuro-ophthalmology practice in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
- Variations in rates of appropriate and inappropriate carotid endarterectomy for stroke prevention in 4 Canadian provincesJames Kennedy
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Calgary Foothills Hospital, Alta
CMAJ 171:455-9. 2004..We sought to determine reasons for the variation in CE rates in 4 Canadian provinces...
- Evaluation of a respiratory health program for farmers and their familiesDebbie Mpofu
Saskatchewan Institute on Prevention of Handicaps
J Occup Environ Med 44:1064-74. 2002..The Respiratory Health Program for Saskatchewan farmers addresses the difficulties of delivering an occupational health program to a sparsely distributed ..
- Examining vertebrobasilar artery stroke in two Canadian provincesEleanor Boyle
Centre of Research Expertise for Improved Disability Outcomes, University Health Network Rehabilitation Solutions, Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:S170-5. 2008..Ecological study...
- Validation of two postpartum depression screening scales with a sample of First Nations and Métis womenPamela J Clarke
Department of Psychology, University of Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Can J Nurs Res 40:113-25. 2008..the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale (EPDS) in First Nations and Métis women in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan. A total of 103 women who had given birth in the preceding 1 to 12 months were recruited from the city of ..
- Increased cancer-related mortality for patients with type 2 diabetes who use sulfonylureas or insulinSamantha L Bowker
Institute of Health Economics, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Diabetes Care 29:254-8. 2006..We explored the association between antidiabetic therapies and cancer-related mortality in patients with type 2 diabetes, postulating that agents that increase insulin levels might promote cancer...
- Inhaled corticosteroid use in asthma and the prevention of myocardial infarctionSamy Suissa
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, Royal Victoria Hospital, and Epidemiology and Biostatistics and Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Med 115:377-81. 2003..We investigated whether inhaled corticosteroids, which are known to improve asthma control and reduce exacerbations, are associated with a lower rate of myocardial infarction...
- Rural families caring for a relative with dementia: barriers to use of formal servicesDebra G Morgan
Centre for Agricultural Medicine, Royal University Hospital, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
Soc Sci Med 55:1129-42. 2002..and others to develop the objectives and design for a study of rural dementia care in the province of Saskatchewan, Canada...
- Treatments for carpal tunnel syndrome: who does what, when ... and why?Regina M Taylor-Gjevre
Department of Medicine in the Royal University Hospital at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon
Can Fam Physician 53:1186-90. 2007..A follow-up survey was conducted to determine the effect of NCS results on subsequent treatment...
- A randomized trial of influenza vaccination of Hutterite childrenMark Loeb; Fiscal Year: 2006..The majority of Hutterites live in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba where they practice communal farming on small colonies isolated from towns and cities...
- A randomized trial of influenza vaccination of Hutterite childrenMark Loeb; Fiscal Year: 2010..The majority of Hutterites live in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba where they practice communal farming on small colonies isolated from towns and cities...
- A randomized trial of influenza vaccination of Hutterite childrenMark Loeb; Fiscal Year: 2009..The majority of Hutterites live in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba where they practice communal farming on small colonies isolated from towns and cities...
- Exogenous Testosterone and Risk of CancerSUSAN AUDREY HALL; Fiscal Year: 2010..The research intent of this application is to cost-efficiently use a unique existing resource, the Saskatchewan Health Services Databases, in order to fill the knowledge gap surrounding exogenous testosterone use and ..
- Combined hormone replacement therapy use in relation to breast cancer mortality.Noel S Weiss; Fiscal Year: 2010..to conduct a population-based nested case-control study of breast cancer deaths from 1990 through 2007 in Saskatchewan, Canada by linking several provincial-level data files, including the population registry, vital statistics ..
- Combined hormone replacement therapy use in relation to breast cancer mortality.Noel Weiss; Fiscal Year: 2009..to conduct a population-based nested case-control study of breast cancer deaths from 1990 through 2007 in Saskatchewan, Canada by linking several provincial-level data files, including the population registry, vital statistics ..
- HORMONAL REPLACEMENT THERAPY AND RISK OF COLON CANCERJean Paul Collet; Fiscal Year: 1999..Methods: The source population for the study will be the dynamic cohort defined by membership in the Saskatchewan Prescription Drug Plan (SPDP)...
- ETHNIC & SELF-IDENTITY IN AN INDIAN COMMUNITYNIELS BRAROE; Fiscal Year: 1992..long-term expression of ethnic and self-identity by a North American Indian band, the Nikaneet of Maple Creek, Saskatchewan. It resumes research done between 1963-1971...
- REINTEGRATING THE MENTALLY ILL IN THE LOCAL COMMUNITYSTEVEN SEGAL; Fiscal Year: 1980..and with the operators of these facilities in California, and a comparable sample of 134 interviews in Saskatchewan, Canada...
- Tricyclic antidepressants as risks factors for cancerJean Paul Collet; Fiscal Year: 2001..Methods: The source population for the study will be the dynamic cohort defined by membership in the Saskatchewan Prescription Drug Plan (SPDP)...
- Tricyclic antidepressants as risks factors for cancerJean Paul Collet; Fiscal Year: 2002..Methods: The source population for the study will be the dynamic cohort defined by membership in the Saskatchewan Prescription Drug Plan (SPDP)...
- CHILDRENS CANCER STUDY GROUPGerald Gilchrist; Fiscal Year: 1990..5.) Providing access for patients in outlying areas to these clinical research programs through affiliates in Des Moines, Iowa; Fargo, North Dakota; Duluth, Minnesota; Saskatoon, Saskatchewan; and Sioux Fall, South Dakota.
- VANDERBILT CENTER FOR EDUCATION/RESEARCH ON THERAPEUTICSWayne Ray; Fiscal Year: 2007..These projects are tightly linked to our theme/sub-theme and have the potential to materially improve clinical practice in highly vulnerable populations that often are under-represented in other research programs. ..
- NICHD Maternal Fetal Medicine Units NetworkJohn Thorp; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Medications and the Risk of Sudden Cardiac DeathWayne Ray; Fiscal Year: 2008..The study will provide data that clinicians need to prescribe these widely used medications in a way that minimizes the risk of sudden cardiac death. ..
- Population Genetics of M. Tuberculosis During Disease EpidemicsCaitlin Pepperell; Fiscal Year: 2008..An understanding of this evolution would help to develop better treatments for a disease which kills almost 3 million people per year. ..
- Community Child Health Network, Eastern North CarolinaJohn Thorp; Fiscal Year: 2008..Eastern NC community partners have participated fully in the research planning and will have crucial roles to play in the initiation, conduct, and analyses, of this cohort study ..
- A randomized trial of influenza vaccination of Hutterite childrenMark Loeb; Fiscal Year: 2008
- Medications and the Risk of Sudden Cardiac DeathWayne Ray; Fiscal Year: 2009..The study will provide data that clinicians need to prescribe these widely used medications in a way that minimizes the risk of sudden cardiac death. ..
- Community Maternal & Child Health-Eastern North CarolinaJohn Thorp; Fiscal Year: 2007..Ultimately, we present a process for a reasonably paced, systematic development of a full-scale community-partnered multi-level research project. ..
- Population Genetics of M. Tuberculosis During Disease EpidemicsCaitlin Pepperell; Fiscal Year: 2007..An understanding of this evolution would help to develop better treatments for a disease which kills almost 3 million people per year. ..
- Placental Vascular Compromise and Preterm DeliveryJohn Thorp; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Placental Vascular Compromise and Preterm DeliveryJohn Thorp; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Placental Vascular Compromise and Preterm DeliveryJohn Thorp; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Placental Vascular Compromise and Preterm DeliveryJohn Thorp; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Placental Vascular Compromise and Preterm DeliveryJohn Thorp; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Placental Vascular Compromise and Preterm DeliveryJohn Thorp; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Medications and the Risk of Sudden Cardiac DeathWayne Ray; Fiscal Year: 2005..The study will provide data that clinicians need to prescribe these widely used medications in a way that minimizes the risk of sudden cardiac death. ..
- NICHD Maternal Fetal Medicine Units NetworkJohn Thorp; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Community Child Health Network, Eastern North CarolinaJohn Thorp; Fiscal Year: 2007..Eastern NC community partners have participated fully in the research planning and will have crucial roles to play in the initiation, conduct, and analyses, of this cohort study ..
- NICHD Maternal Fetal Medicine Units NetworkJohn Thorp; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Medications and the Risk of Sudden Cardiac DeathWayne Ray; Fiscal Year: 2007
- Medications and the Risk of Sudden Cardiac DeathWayne Ray; Fiscal Year: 2006