Genomes and Genes
Summary: A country in northern Africa between MOROCCO and LIBYA. Its capital is Algiers. It was known to the Romans as Numidia. From 430 A.D. until 1942 it was successively in the hands of the Vandals, the Eastern Roman Empire, the Arabs, the Ottoman Empire, and the French, and gained independence in 1962. The country took its name from its capital, from the Arabic al (the) + jaza'ir (islands), with reference to four islands lying off the coast at Algiers but joined to the mainland by 1525. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p31 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p14)
Publications204 found, 100 shown here
- Saccharothrix algeriensis sp. nov., isolated from Saharan soilA Zitouni
, INPT, , UMR 5503 (CNRS/INPT/UPS, 1, , B. P. 107, F31 326 Castanet-Tolosan, France
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 54:1377-81. 2004The taxonomic position of a soil isolate, strain SA 233T, recovered from Saharan soil from Algeria was established using a polyphasic approach...
- Analysis of Y-chromosomal SNP haplogroups and STR haplotypes in an Algerian population sampleC Robino
Department of Anatomy, Pharmacology and Legal Medicine, University of Turin, Turin, Italy
Int J Legal Med 122:251-5. 2008..tandem repeat (STR) haplotypes was determined in a sample of 102 unrelated men of Arab origin from northwestern Algeria (Oran area). A total of nine different haplogroups were identified by a panel of 22 binary markers...
- A portrait of Staphylococcus aureus from the other side of the Mediterranean Sea: molecular characteristics of isolates from Western AlgeriaS N Bekkhoucha
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Oran, Algeria
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 28:553-5. 2009..The increase of MRSA prevalence observed in Western Algeria, in outpatients as well as in hospitalized patients, is linked to dissemination of ST80 strains usually ..
- The prevalence of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase 677 C-T, factor V 1691 G-A, and prothrombin 20210 G-A mutations in healthy populations in Setif, AlgeriaRomyla Bourouba
Department of Biology, Faculty of Sciences, University of Batna, Batna
Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 15:529-34. 2009..thrombophilia causes-namely, factor V 1691 G-A and prothrombin (PT) 20210 G-A mutation-in the Sétif region of Algeria. The study involved 147 apparently healthy participants (82 men and 65 women)...
- Antibiotic susceptibility and mechanisms of beta-lactam resistance among clinical strains of Pseudomonas aeruginosa: first report in AlgeriaM Drissi
Laboratoire lt lt Antibiotiques Antifongiques, Université Abou Bekr Belkaid, B P 119, Tlemcen 13000, Algeria
Med Mal Infect 38:187-91. 2008Pseudomonas aeruginosa is a major causative agent of hospital infections. Studies on this subject being rare in Algeria, we determined the antibiotic susceptibility of P...
- Middle Paleolithic shell beads in Israel and AlgeriaMarian Vanhaereny
Centre for the Evolution of Cultural Diversity, University College London, 31 34 Gordon Square, London WC1H OPY, UK Ethnologie Préhistorique, CNRS UMR 7041, 21 Allée de l Université, F 92023 Nanterre, France
Science 312:1785-8. 2006....
- High genetic diversity and clonal growth in relict populations of Olea europaea subsp. laperrinei (Oleaceae) from Hoggar, AlgeriaDjamel Baali-Cherif
BP44, Laboratoire de Recherche sur les Zones Arides, USTHB/INA, Alger, Algeria
Ann Bot (Lond) 96:823-30. 2005..One hundred and eleven ramets were prospected in the laperrinei populations from the Tamanrasset region, southern Algeria. Genetic polymorphism was revealed at nuclear and chloroplast DNA (cpDNA) microsatellite loci allowing a ..
- Sandfly fever Sicilian virus, AlgeriaArezki Izri
Universite Paris 13, Bobigny, France
Emerg Infect Dis 14:795-7. 2008To determine whether sandfly fever Sicilian virus (SFSV) is present in Algeria, we tested sandflies for phlebovirus RNA. A sequence closely related to that of SFSV was detected in a Phlebotomus ariasi sandfly...
- Reemerging threat of epidemic typhus in AlgeriaK Mokrani
Clinique des Maladies Infectieuses, Centre Hospitalier de Batna, France
J Clin Microbiol 42:3898-900. 2004We report a case of epidemic typhus in a patient from the Batna region of Algeria, who presented with generalized febrile exanthema. The clinical diagnosis was confirmed by serological cross-adsorption followed by Western blotting...
- Zoonotic focus of plague, AlgeriaIdir Bitam
, Algiers, Algeria
Emerg Infect Dis 12:1975-7. 2006After an outbreak of human plague, 95 Xenopsylla cheopis fleas from Algeria were tested for Yersinia pestis with PCR methods. Nine fleas were definitively confirmed to be infected with Y. pestis biovar orientalis...
- Cervical carcinoma in Algiers, Algeria: human papillomavirus and lifestyle risk factorsDoudja Hammouda
Registre des Tumeurs d'Alger, , Algiers, Algeria
Int J Cancer 113:483-9. 2005We conducted a hospital-based case-control study in Algiers, Algeria. A total of 198 cervical carcinoma (CC) cases (including 15 adeno- and adenosquamous carcinomas) and 202 age-matched control women were included...
- Bacterial zoonoses and infective endocarditis, AlgeriaAkila Benslimani
Service de Biologie Clinique, Alger,
Emerg Infect Dis 11:216-24. 2005Blood culture-negative endocarditis is common in Algeria. We describe the etiology of infective endocarditis in this country. Samples from 110 cases in 108 patients were collected in Algiers. Blood cultures were performed in Algeria...
- Isolation and identification of an EPS-producing Rhizobium strain from arid soil (Algeria): characterization of its EPS and the effect of inoculation on wheat rhizosphere soil structureYahia Kaci
Laboratoire de Biologie et Physiologie des Organismes, Faculté des Sciences Biologiques USTHB, BP 132 El Alia, Alger, Algeria
Res Microbiol 156:522-31. 2005..the characterization of a new EPS produced by a bacterial strain (KYGT207) isolated from an arid soil in southern Algeria (Gassi Touil), and the effect of inoculation of this strain on soil physical properties in the rhizosphere of ..
- First report of CTX-M-15 and CTX-M-3 beta-lactamases among clinical isolates of Enterobacteriaceae in Béjaia, AlgeriaAbdelaziz Touati
Laboratoire de Microbiologie Appliquée, FSNV, Université A MIRA de Béjaia 06000, Algeria
Int J Antimicrob Agents 27:397-402. 2006..among 365 clinical isolates of members of the family Enterobacteriaceae recovered from two hospitals in Béjaia, Algeria, between March 2004 and April 2005. Twenty-one strains were resistant to cefotaxime and/or ceftazidime...
- First molecular detection of R. conorii, R. aeschlimannii, and R. massiliae in ticks from AlgeriaI Bitam
, CNRS UMR 6020, IFR 48, WHO Collaborative Center for Rickettsial Reference and Research, , 27 Bd Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseille Cedex 5, France
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1078:368-72. 2006Ticks collected in Northern Algeria between May 2001 and November 2003 were tested by PCR for the presence of Rickettsia spp. DNA using primer amplifying gltA and OmpA genes...
- Reemergence of rickettsiosis in Oran, AlgeriaNadjet Mouffok
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire d Oran, 72 boulevard Benzedjeb, 31 000 Oran, Algeria
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1078:180-4. 2006..conorii, R. felis and/or R. typhi. Two others negative serology were: one precocious serum and second from the patient, which presented symptoms of MSF and tested two serums, Western blot and cross-adsorption...
- CTX-M-3 and CTX-M-15 extended-spectrum beta-lactamases in isolates of Escherichia coli from a hospital in Algiers, AlgeriaNadjia Ramdani-Bouguessa
Service de Microbiologie, Centre Hospitalo-Universitaire Mustapha Pacha, Algiers, Algeria
J Clin Microbiol 44:4584-6. 2006..Fourteen of the isolates are multidrug resistant. Five isolates from the neonatal ward were indistinguishable by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis...
- Prevalence of blood parasites in cattle from wilayates of Annaba and El Tarf east AlgeriaH Ziam
Arch Inst Pasteur Tunis 81:27-30. 2004..2002, a preliminary study was conducted to assess the prevalence of blood parasites of cattle in eastern Algeria. Fifty-four bovines of different genotypes were submitted to clinical examination...
- [Urinary stones in Western Algeria: study of the composition of 1,354 urinary stones in relation to their anatomical site and the age and gender of the patients]Zidane Djelloul
, , ,
Prog Urol 16:328-35. 2006..Few data are currently available concerning the characteristics of urinary stones in Algeria. Based on our recruitment of stones derived from the main teaching hospital urology departments of Western ..
- First molecular detection of Rickettsia felis in fleas from AlgeriaIdir Bitam
, , Algiers, Algeria
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:532-5. 2006Fleas collected in Algeria in the district of Oran between July and September 2003 were tested by polymerase chain reaction for the presence of Rickettsia spp. DNA using primers amplifying gltA and OmpA genes...
- [Outsourced real-time PCR diagnosis of cutaneous leishmaniasis in the outbreak region of Constatine, Algeria]I Mihoubi
Laboratoire de Parasitologie et Mycologie du CHU Ben Badis, Constantine, Algerie
Med Trop (Mars) 66:39-44. 2006..on the diagnosis of cutaneous leishmaniasis was undertaken in Constatine, one of the outbreak regions in eastern Algeria. A total of 143 specimens were collected on blotters and tested by real-time PCR...
- Plague reappearance in Algeria after 50 years, 2003Eric Bertherat
World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Emerg Infect Dis 13:1459-62. 2007An outbreak of plague occurred in the region of Oran, Algeria, from June to July 2003. Algeria had not reported this disease for >50 years. Eighteen bubonic cases were identified, and Yersinia pestis was isolated from 6 patients...
- [Personnel at risk for occupational blood exposure in a university hospital in West Algeria]Benali Beghdadli
Université de Sidi Bel Abbés, Laboratoire de Recherche en Environnement et Santé, Algerie
Sante Publique 21:253-61. 2009..It is urgent to raise awareness of health care personnel and strengthen adherence to standard precautions as well as to provide suitable containers for the collection and disposal of needles and sharp objects...
- Kidd and MNS gene frequencies in AlgeriaH Aireche
Centre National de Transfusion Sanguine C H U Mustapha Alger, Algerie
Gene Geogr 4:1-7. 1990Red blood cell phenotyping using micro-methods was carried out for Kidd (JK) and MNS systems in Algeria. The number of subjects tested was 3495 and 4388 respectively. Gene frequencies were estimated by the maximum likelihood method...
- [Prevalence of type 2 diabetes mellitus and glucose intolerance in the Setif area (Algeria)]R Malek
Service de Medecine Interne, CHU Sétif, Algerie
Diabetes Metab 27:164-71. 2001Diabetes mellitus stands as a major public health issue in Algeria and has an important socioeconomical impact...
- Dissemination of ESBL and Qnr determinants in Enterobacter cloacae in AlgeriaHassen Iabadene
Laboratoire de Biologie Cellulaire et Moleculaire, Faculte des Sciences Biologiques, Université des Sciences et de la Technologie Houari Boumediene, BP 32 El Alia, Bab Ezzouar 16111, Alger, Algerie
J Antimicrob Chemother 62:133-6. 2008..The aim of this study is to evaluate the prevalence and diversity of extended-spectrum beta-lactamases (ESBLs) in Enterobacter cloacae clinical isolates collected from Algerian hospitals and to verify the association with qnr genes...
- [Characteristics of hepatitis B viral strains in chronic carrier patients from North-East Algeria]F Khelifa
Laboratoire d hygiène de la Wilaya, Institut Pasteur d Algerie, cité Daksi, Constantine, Algerie
Pathol Biol (Paris) 57:107-13. 2009..was to determine the characteristics of chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infections in the north-east part of Algeria. Chronic HBV infection remains a global public health issue and Algeria is considered as an intermediate ..
- Epidemic typhus imported from AlgeriaM Niang
, Marseilles, France
Emerg Infect Dis 5:716-8. 1999We report epidemic typhus in a French patient returning from Algeria. The diagnosis was confirmed by serologic testing and the isolation of Rickettsia prowazekii in blood. Initially the patient was thought to have typhoid fever...
- Bioactive phenylpropanoids from Daucus crinitus Desf. from AlgeriaDon Antoine Lanfranchi
Universite de Corse CNRS, UMR 6134 SPE, Equipe Chimie et Biomasse, Route des Sanguinaires, 20000 Ajaccio, France
J Agric Food Chem 58:2174-9. 2010The volatile constituents of Daucus crinitus Desf. from Algeria were analyzed by GC and GC-MS, The main constituent was isochavicol isobutyrate (39.0%), an uncommon phenylpropanoid...
- [Frequency of consanguineous unions in the Tlemcen area (West Algeria)]Salah Zaoui
Institut des Sciences de la Nature, BP 119, Université A Belkaid, 13000 Tlemcen, Algerie
Sante 12:289-95. 2002..6%) than in the rural areas (40.5%). This difference can be explained by changing custom and family relationships in urban areas, and is evidenced by social and anthropologic factors and the attitude towards consanguineous unions...
- Blood micronutrients in Algeria, relationships with sex and ageB Lachili
Laboratoire Central de Biochimie, CHU Benflis Touhami, Boulevard Mohamed Boudiaf, 05000 Batna, Algeria
Int J Vitam Nutr Res 71:111-6. 2001..beta-cartene, along with zinc, copper, selenium erythrocyte glutathione peroxidase and superoxide dismutase in Algeria. Volunteers were randomly recruited in Constantine, Batna and Mila...
- Molecular characterization of Mycobacterium bovis strains isolated from cattle slaughtered at two abattoirs in AlgeriaNaima Sahraoui
Département Vétérinaire, Université Saad Dahlab, Blida, Algeria
BMC Vet Res 5:4. 2009Bovine Tuberculosis is prevalent in Algeria despite governmental attempts to control the disease...
- First reported case of turtle deaths during a toxic Microcystis spp. bloom in Lake Oubeira, AlgeriaHichem Nasri
Institute of Biology, University of El Taref, Algeria
Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 71:535-44. 2008..analysis was conducted in field cyanobacterial bloom samples and dead terrapin tissues from Lake Oubeira (Algeria) with an aim of studying the cause of the mortality of the freshwater terrapin species Emys orbicularis and ..
- At least five polymorphic mutants account for the prevalence of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency in AlgeriaK Nafa
Centre de Transfusion Sanguine, CHU Mustapha, Alger, Algeria
Hum Genet 94:513-7. 1994..Thus, G6PD deficiency in Algeria is heterogeneous, suggesting that there has been significant gene flow, both from sub-Saharan Africa and from ..
- Halorubrum ezzemoulense sp. nov., a halophilic archaeon isolated from Ezzemoul sabkha, AlgeriaKarima Kharroub
Departamento de Microbiologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Campus Universitario de Cartuja s/n, 18071 Granada, Spain
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 56:1583-8. 2006A novel extremely halophilic archaeon was isolated from Ezzemoul sabkha, Algeria. The strain, designated 5.1(T), was neutrophilic, motile and Gram-negative. At least 15 % (w/v) NaCl was required for growth. The isolate grew at pH 6.5-9...
- The diversity of phytoseiid mite communities in the Maghreb comparisons with the fauna of one of the Canary IslandsKreiter Serge
Ecole Nationale Supérieure Agronomique Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Unite d Ecologie animale et de Zoologie agricole, Laboratoire d Acarologie, 2 Place Pierre Viala, 34060 Montpellier 01, France
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 37:381-94. 2007..Results were associated with those obtained in previous surveys conducted by other authors in Algeria and in one of the Canary Islands (Gran Canaria)...
- [Lyme borreliosis situation in North Africa]A Bouattour
Laboratoire de Microbiologie Vétérinaire, groupe Entomologie Médicale, Institut Pasteur de Tunis, BP 74, 1002 Tunis Belvedere, Tunisie
Arch Inst Pasteur Tunis 81:13-20. 2004..Indeed, recent studies conducted in Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco have showm that Ixodes ricinus is present in cooler and humid area of these regions...
- Two new Ggamma chain variants: Hb F-clamart [gamma17(A14)Lys-->Asn] and Hb F-Ouled Rabah [gamma19(B1)Asn-->Lys]H Wajcman
INSERM U 468 and Service de Biochimie Hôpital Henri Mondor, Creteil, France
Hemoglobin 24:45-52. 2000..0.1% in newborns originating from Maghreb. Structural characterization of both variants was done by protein chemistry methods, including amino acids analysis and mass spectrometry...
- Gp63 gene polymorphism and population structure of Leishmania donovani complex: influence of the host selection pressure?S Guerbouj
Institut Pasteur de Tunis, Laboratoire d Epidémiologie et Ecologie Parasitaire, Tunis Belvedere, Tunisia
Parasitology 122:25-35. 2001..Furthermore, they illustrate how the nature of genetic characters may influence the perception of population structuring...
- Complex estimates of evolutionary relationships in Tarentola mauritanica (Reptilia: Gekkonidae) derived from mitochondrial DNA sequencesD James Harris
Centro de Investigacao em Biodiversidade e Recursos Geneticos, ICETA, Campus Agrário de Vairão, 4485 661 Vila do Conde, Portugal
Mol Phylogenet Evol 30:855-9. 2004..distinct lineages occur in North Africa, revealing phylogroups in southern and central Morocco, northern Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, and Libya...
- Follicular conjunctivitis caused by Chlamydia trachomatis in an infant Saharan population: molecular and clinical diagnosisJ Javaloy
Br J Ophthalmol 87:142-6. 2003..prevalence of acute trachoma as a supposed endemic disease among infants in the Saharan refugee camps of Tindouf (Algeria) and to evaluate the efficacy of treatment with a single dose of azithromycin...
- [Evidence based medicine. The facts in the South countries]A Fissah
Service de Pneumologie, CHU de Bab El Oued (Pr Amrane,
Rev Mal Respir 23:10S13-10S16. 2006
- Multicentre study on hand hygiene facilities and practice in the Mediterranean area: results from the NosoMed NetworkK Amazian
Laboratoire d Epidémiologie et Santé Publique, Universite Claude Bernard, Lyon, France
J Hosp Infect 62:311-8. 2006..Analysis by country indicated higher compliance in Egypt (52.8%) and Tunisia (32.3%) compared with Algeria (18.6%) and Morocco (16.9%). Facilities for hand hygiene, particularly consumables, were shown to be deficient...
- Multicenter pilot survey of resistant bacteria in the Mediterranean areaK Amazian
Laboratoire d Epidémiologie et Santé Publique, Universite Claude Bernard Lyon I, 8 avenue Rockefeller, 69373, Lyon, Cedex 08, France
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 25:340-3. 2006..of resistant pathogens in the Mediterranean area, a pilot study was carried out in nine university hospitals in Algeria, Tunisia and France...
- Dietary risk factors for nasopharyngeal carcinoma in Maghrebian countriesBing Jian Feng
International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Int J Cancer 121:1550-5. 2007..Here we have performed a large-scale case-control study in the Maghrebian population from Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco. From 2002 to 2005, interviews were conducted on 636 cases and 615 controls...
- Prostate cancer characteristics in a multiracial communityVincent Ravery
Department of Urology, Bichat Hospital, Paris, France
Eur Urol 53:533-8. 2008....
- Prevalence and distribution of MEFV mutations among Arabs from the Maghreb patients suffering from familial Mediterranean feverLatifa Belmahi
Laboratoire de Genetique, Institut National D Hygiene, 11400 Rabat, Morocco
C R Biol 329:71-4. 2006..These mutations account for different proportions of the MEFV mutations in Algeria (5%, 80%), Morocco (49%, 37%), and Tunisia (50%, 25%) patients...
- Biomedical research in developing countries. I--The Algerian case (1993-1998)Mohamed Selamnia
, Paris, France
Tunis Med 81:456-60. 2003Biomedical articles emerging from Algeria between 1993 an 1998 were analysed in order to evaluate the scientific output...
- High diversity of HIV type 1 in AlgeriaSalima Bouzeghoub
, , Alger,
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 22:367-72. 2006..sequenced different genes of HIV-1 strains from infected individuals recruited in various geographic parts of Algeria; phylogenetic trees were constructed yielding molecular characterization of these strains...
- Isolation and partial characterization of pigment-like antibiotics produced by a new strain of Streptosporangium isolated from an Algerian soilH Boudjella
Laboratoire de Recherche sur les Produits Bioactifs et la Valorisation de la Biomasse, Ecole Normale Supérieure de Kouba, Vieux Kouba, Alger, Algerie
J Appl Microbiol 103:228-36. 2007..Identification of a new actinomycete strain Sg3, belonging to the genus Streptosporangium and partial characterization of the produced antibacterial activities...
- Phylogeography of Barbary macaques (Macaca sylvanus) and the origin of the Gibraltar colonyLara Modolo
Anthropologisches Institut, Universitat Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:7392-7. 2005..Once distributed throughout North Africa, M. sylvanus is now restricted to isolated forest fragments in Algeria and Morocco. The species is threatened; the maximum total wild population size is estimated at 10,000 individuals...
- First report of CTX-M-15 in Salmonella enterica serotype Kedougou recovered from an Algerian hospitalAbdelaziz Touati
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:479-80. 2008
- Sahara honey shows higher potency against Pseudomonas aeruginosa compared to north Algerian types of honeyLaid Boukraa
Department of Veterinary Sciences, Faculty of Agro Veterinary Sciences, Ibn Khaldoun University of Tiaret, Tiaret, Algeria
J Med Food 10:712-4. 2007Six varieties of honey from different regions in Algeria were used to determine their potency against Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Four varieties originated from northern Algeria, and two from the Sahara. Three types of media were used...
- Molecular characterization of coxsackievirus B5 isolatesDorra Rezig
Laboratory of Clinical Virology, WHO Regional Reference Laboratory for Poliomyelitis and Measles, Institut Pasteur de Tunis, , Tunisia
J Med Virol 72:268-74. 2004..It gives a first approach on the molecular epidemiology of these viruses, which have a particular importance in human health...
- Characterization of CTX-M-15-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae and Escherichia coli strains isolated from hospital environments in AlgeriaAbdelaziz Touati
Laboratoire de Microbiologie Appliquée, FSNV, Université A Mira de Bejaïa, 06000, Algerie
Microb Drug Resist 13:85-9. 2007..pneumoniae environmental isolate showed an identical and unique RAPD profile with two other K. pneumoniae clinical isolates recovered from urinary tract infection from patients hospitalized in two different wards of another hospital...
- Treatment outcome of asthma after one year follow-up in health centres of several developing countriesN Ait-Khaled
Asthma Division, International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, Paris, France
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 10:911-6. 2006Seven selected out-patient clinics caring for asthma patients in Algeria, Guinea, Morocco, Syria, Turkey and Vietnam.
- [Bronchial anthracosis and pulmonary mica overload]Ph Mulliez
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Saint Philibert, 59462 Lomme cedex, France
Rev Mal Respir 20:267-71. 2003..The discovery of anthracotic plaques generally suggests either a history of tuberculosis or occupational exposure to dust. Other etiologies should, however, be considered...
- Salicola salis sp. nov., an extremely halophilic bacterium isolated from Ezzemoul sabkha in AlgeriaKarima Kharroub
Departamento de Microbiologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Granada, Campus Universitario de Cartuja s/n, CP 18071 Granada, Spain
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 56:2647-52. 2006..extremely halophilic bacterium was isolated from brine samples collected from Ezzemoul sabkha in north-east Algeria. Cells of this isolate, designated B2T, were Gram-negative, rod-shaped and motile...
- A gene responsible for Ghosal hemato-diaphyseal dysplasia maps to chromosome 7q33-34B Isidor
Department of Medical Genetics and INSERM U781, Necker Enfants Malades Hospital, Paris, France
Hum Genet 121:269-73. 2007..We have performed a genome wide search in two inbred families originating from Algeria and Tunisia. Here, we report on the mapping of a disease gene to chromosome 7q33-34 (Zmax = 4...
- Halomonas sabkhae sp. nov., a moderately halophilic bacterium isolated from an Algerian sabkhaK Kharroub
Departamento de Microbiologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Campus Universitario de Cartuja s n 18071, Granada, Spain
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 58:40-4. 2008..belonging to the genus Halomonas was isolated from brine samples collected from Ezzemoul sabkha in north-eastern Algeria. The cells of strain 5-3(T) were Gram-negative, rod-shaped and non-motile...
- Coeliac disease: a potentially treatable health problem of Saharawi refugee childrenI M Ratsch
Department of Paediatrics, University of Ancona, Via F Corridoni 11, 60123 Ancona, Italy
Bull World Health Organ 79:541-5. 2001To characterize the clinical and nutritional impact of coeliac disease (gluten-sensitive enteropathy) among Saharawi children living as refugees in Algeria.
- Identification and molecular characterization of Listeria monocytogenes isolated in raw milk in the region of Algiers (Algeria)Taha Mossadak Hamdi
National Veterinary School of Algiers, BP 161 El Harrach Algiers, Algeria
Int J Food Microbiol 116:190-3. 2007..The results indicate that raw milk, and raw milk products are potential sources of the L. monocytogenes and represent a potential risk for consumers...
- Prevalence of beta-lactams resistance among Escherichia coli clinical isolates from a hospital in AlgiersY Messai
, , , , Algiers, Algeria
Rev Esp Quimioter 19:144-51. 2006..among Enterobacteriaceae have been reported worldwide; however, there are not sufficient data on this issue in Algeria. beta-Lactams susceptibility of 203 Escherichia coli clinical isolates was determined by agar diffusion method, ..
- Coexistence of predominantly nonculturable rhizobia with diverse, endophytic bacterial taxa within nodules of wild legumesRosella Muresu
Dipartimento di Scienze Agronomiche e Genetica Vegetale Agraria, Universita degli Studi di Sassari, Sassari, Italy
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 63:383-400. 2008..Hypotheses to explain the nonculturability of rhizobia are presented, and pertinent literature on legume endophytes is discussed...
- Phenotypical and genotypical characteristics of root-nodulating bacteria isolated from annual Medicago spp. in Soummam Valley (Algeria)N Sebbane
, , , Algeria
Lett Appl Microbiol 42:235-41. 2006..root-nodulating bacteria to extend pasture zones, increase forage yields and improve ovine and bovine breeding in Algeria, we investigated diversity of rhizobia from annual Medicago spp...
- The distribution of DQ genes in the Saharawi population provides only a partial explanation for the high celiac disease prevalenceC Catassi
Department of Pediatrics, University of Ancona, Ancona, Italy
Tissue Antigens 58:402-6. 2001..Other factors, such as rapidly changing dietary habits and/or non-DQ genes, may also play some role...
- A plasmid-mediated CMY-2 beta-lactamase from an Algerian clinical isolate of Salmonella senftenbergJ L Koeck
Laboratoire de Biologie Medicale, Hopital d Instruction des armees BEGIN, Saint Mande, France
FEMS Microbiol Lett 152:255-60. 1997..It showed 99.5% sequence identity with the plasmid-mediated beta-lactamase CMY-2. The differences in the amino acid sequences of the two enzymes were located in the signal peptide...
- Nocardiopsis and Saccharothrix genera in Saharan soils in Algeria: isolation, biological activities and partial characterization of antibioticsAbdelghani Zitouni
Laboratoire de Recherche sur les Produits Bioactifs et la Valorisation de la Biomasse, , B.P. 92, 16 050 Vieux-Kouba, Alger, Algeria
Res Microbiol 156:984-93. 2005..Their structures consisted of a chain of three sugar units linked to an aromatic base containing a phosphate residue...
- Minor sesquiterpene lactones from Centaurea pullata and their antimicrobial activitySamah Djeddi
Department of Pharmacognosy, School of Pharmacy, University of Athens, Panepistimiopolis, Zografou, 157 71, Athens, Greece
J Nat Prod 70:1796-9. 2007..All compounds tested showed greater antibacterial and antifungal activities than the positive controls used...
- Mutactimycin PR, a new anthracycline antibiotic from Saccharothrix sp. SA 103. I. Taxonomy, fermentation, isolation and biological activitiesAbdelghani Zitouni
, INPT, , UMR 5503 (CNRS/INPT/UPS, 1, , B.P. 107, F-31 326 Castanet-Tolosan Cedex, France
J Antibiot (Tokyo) 57:367-72. 2004..of screening for new antibacterial agents, a new isolate collected from a soil sample of an arid area in south Algeria, produced a red pigment which was shown an antagonistic action against a gram-positive bacterium Bacillus ..
- [Differences in the nutritional and health status among illegal immigrant adolescents from Morocco and Algeria]Gonzalo Oliván Gonzalvo
Servicios de Pediatría y Adolescencia, Instituto Aragonés de Servicios Sociales, Gobierno de Aragón, Zaragoza España
Med Clin (Barc) 122:372-4. 2004We decided to determine if there were differences in the nutritional and health status among illegal immigrant adolescents from Morocco and Algeria.
- Frequency of the 35delG allele causing nonsyndromic recessive deafness in the Algerian patientsF Ammar-Khodja
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Biological Faculty of Sciences, University of USTHB, El Alia, Bab Ezzouar, Algiers, Algeria
Genet Couns 18:383-91. 2007..This study reports a significant association (P=0.003) between first cousin consanguinity and non-syndromic prelingual deafness...
- Cancer incidence in Eastern Libya: preliminary result of the year 2003M El-Mistiri
El Jamahiriya, , Libya
Tunis Med 83:18-9. 2005
- Halomicrobium katesii sp. nov., an extremely halophilic archaeonKarima Kharroub
Departamento de Microbiologia, Facultad de Farmacia Campus de Cartuja s n, 18071 Granada, Spain
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 58:2354-8. 2008..strains Al-5(T) and K-1, were isolated from Lake Tebenquiche (Atacama Saltern, Chile) and Ezzemoul sabkha (Algeria), respectively. Cells of the two strains were short-rod-shaped and Gram-negative; colonies were orange-pigmented...
- Evidence for hepatitis E virus quasispeciesMarc Grandadam
Laboratoire de Biologie Clinique, , 74 boulevard de Port Royal, , France
J Gen Virol 85:3189-94. 2004..A serum bank collected in Tanefdour, Algeria, during an acute hepatitis epidemic (1986-1987), retrospectively confirmed as hepatitis E, was analysed...
- Genetic structure of Algerian populationsPhilippe Lefevre-Witier
Centre d Immunologie et Génétique Humaine, CIGH CNRS, 31300 Toulouse, France
Am J Hum Biol 18:492-501. 2006Blood samples were collected in Algeria from 4,444 army recruits and tested for 10 genetic polymorphic systems...
- Taxonomic position and geographical distribution of the common sheep G1 and camel G6 strains of Echinococcus granulosus in three African countriesS Maillard
SERF, Santé Environnement Rural Université de Franche Comté, Parasitology Department, University of Franche Comte, Besancon, France
Parasitol Res 100:495-503. 2007..granulosus isolates originating from three countries of Africa, including a region of Algeria, where the common G1 sheep and the camel G6 strains coexist sympatrically...
- Algerian watermelon mosaic virus (AWMV): a new potyvirus species in the PRSV clusterSoumaya Yakoubi
Laboratoire de Genetique Moleculaire, Immunologie et Biotechnologie, Faculte des Sciences de Tunis, Campus Universitaire, El Manar, 2092 Tunis, Tunisia
Virus Genes 37:103-9. 2008A potyvirus was isolated from a naturally infected squash plant in Algeria in 1986...
- Spatial genetic structure in the Laperrine's olive (Olea europaea subsp. laperrinei), a long-living tree from the central Saharan mountainsG Besnard
Department of Ecology and Evolution, Biophore, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Heredity (Edinb) 99:649-57. 2007..are locally threatened by extinction due to climatic vicissitudes and human activities, particularly in Niger and Algeria. In order to study the spatial genetic structure and the dynamics of O. e...
- Circum-Mediterranean cultural heritage and medicinal plant uses in traditional animal healthcare: a field survey in eight selected areas within the RUBIA projectAndrea Pieroni
SCH Group, Department of Social Sciences, Wageningen University and Research Centres, Postbus 8060 6700 DA Wageningen, The Netherlands
J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 2:16. 2006..Egypt; Eastern and Western Crete, Greece; the Paphos and Larnaca areas of Cyprus; and the Mitidja area of Algeria.One hundred and thirty-six veterinary preparations and 110 plant taxa were recorded in the survey, with ..
- Present situation of echinococcosis in the Middle East and Arabic North AfricaSeyed Mahmoud Sadjjadi
Department of Parasitology and Mycology, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, P O Box 71345 1735, Iran
Parasitol Int 55:S197-202. 2006..It is hyper endemic in Iran, Turkey, Iraq, Jordan, Morocco, Libya, Tunisia, and Algeria, and endemic in Egypt. Studies on the strain specificities of E...
- There are many Mediterranean dietsA Noah
Human Nutrition Unit, University of Sydney, NSW, Australia
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 10:2-9. 2001..Italy, Malta, Croatia, Bosnia, Albania, Greece, Cyprus, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, Libya, Malta, Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco...
- [Composition of renal stones currently observed in non-industrialized countries]Michel Daudon
Laboratoire Cristal, Service de Biochimie A, Hopital Necker, Paris, France
Prog Urol 14:1151-61. 2004..To verify whether this difference in the epidemiological profile is still observed today, we analysed renal stones collected in various regions of the globe and compared their composition to that of stones observed in France...
- A global nutritional indexJoshua I Rosenbloom
Department of Human Nutrition and Metabolism, Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, Braun School of Public Health, WHO Collaborating Center in Capacity Building in Public Health, Jerusalem, Israel
Food Nutr Bull 29:266-77. 2008..A standardized global nutritional index (GNI) would provide a single statistic for each country according to its overall level of nutrition, which could then guide national policies...
- Co-distribution pattern of a haemogregarine Hemolivia mauritanica (Apicomplexa: Haemogregarinidae) and its vector Hyalomma aegyptium (Metastigmata: Ixodidae)Pavel Siroký
Department of Biology and Wildlife Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Hygiene and Ecology, University of Veterinary and Pharmaceutical Sciences Brno, Palackeho 1 3, 612 42 Brno, Czech Republic
J Parasitol 95:728-33. 2009..Hemolivia mauritanica, a heteroxenous apicomplexan cycling between T. graeca and H. aegyptium, was confirmed in Algeria, Romania, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, and Iran...
- Molecular homogeneity in diverse geographical populations of Phlebotomus papatasi (Diptera, Psychodidae) inferred from ND4 mtDNA and ITS2 rDNA Epidemiological consequencesJerome Depaquit
USC VECPAR, AFSSA, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite de Reims Champagne Ardenne, Reims, France
Infect Genet Evol 8:159-70. 2008..2 (ITS 2) of rDNA and the ND4 gene of mt DNA were sequenced from 26 populations from 18 countries (Albania, Algeria, Cyprus, Egypt, Greece, India, Iran, Israel, Italy, Lebanon, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey,..
- Mutations in ichthyin a new gene on chromosome 5q33 in a new form of autosomal recessive congenital ichthyosisCaroline Lefèvre
Centre National de Genotypage, Evry, France
Hum Mol Genet 13:2473-82. 2004..were identified in a new gene, ichthyin, on chromosome 5q33 in 23 patients from 14 consanguineous families from Algeria, Colombia, Syria and Turkey...
- Schizophrenia and birthplace of paternal and maternal grandfather in the Jerusalem perinatal cohort prospective studyS Harlap
Department of Psychiatry, New York University School of Medicine, NY 10016, USA
Schizophr Res 111:23-31. 2009..between descendants of maternal or paternal grandfathers born in Iraq, Iran, Turkey, Syria, Yemen, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya/Egypt, Poland, USSR, Czechoslovakia, Germany or the USA...
- Molecular characterization of a hepatitis E virus isolate from NamibiaJ He
Department of Virus Diseases, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA
J Biomed Sci 7:334-8. 2000..has been documented by virus detection (reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction, RT-PCR) in Egypt, Chad, Algeria, Morocco and Tunisia...
- Radiation doses to local populations near nuclear weapons test sites worldwideSteven L Simon
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Health Phys 82:706-25. 2002..Bello Islands, Australia (Australian continent); Mururoa and Fangataufa, French Polynesia (Oceania), Reggane, Algeria (Africa), Novaya Zemlya and Kapustin Yar, Russia (Europe), Semipalatinsk, Kazakhstan (Asia), and Lop Nor, China (..
- Commodities consumed in Italy, Greece and other Mediterranean countries compared with Australia in 1960s and 1990sAnn Noah
Human Nutrition Unit, Biochemistry Building G08, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 12:23-9. 2003..Italy, Malta, Croatia, Bosnia, Albania, Greece, Cyprus, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco)...
- Hemoglobinopathies in North Africa: a reviewAmel Haj Khelil
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Monastir, Tunisia
Hemoglobin 34:1-23. 2010..hemoglobinopathies are widely spread throughout the Mediterranean Basin, including North Africa (Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco). Their severity and disabling nature make them a major public health problem...
- Cancer survival in five continents: a worldwide population-based study (CONCORD)Michel P Coleman
Cancer Research UK Cancer Survival Group, Non communicable Disease Epidemiology Unit, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Lancet Oncol 9:730-56. 2008..This is, to our knowledge, the first worldwide analysis of cancer survival, with standard quality-control procedures and identical analytic methods for all datasets...
- 500 years of mercury production: global annual inventory by region until 2000 and associated emissionsLars D Hylander
Uppsala University, Evolutionary Biology Centre, Department of Limnology, Norbyvagen 20, SE 752 36 Uppsala, Sweden
Sci Total Environ 304:13-27. 2003..the dominant Hg mines are in Almadén in Spain (236 t of Hg produced in 2000), Khaydarkan in Kyrgyzstan (550 t), Algeria (estimated 240 t) and China (ca. 200 t). Mercury by-production from mining of other metals (e.g...
- Stages in the identification of phlebotomine sandflies as vectors of leishmaniases and other tropical diseasesJ P Dedet
Laboratoire de Parasitologie Mycologie, Centre national de référence des Leishmania et Centre collaborateur OMS sur les Leishmanioses, CHU de Montpellier, France
Parassitologia 47:291-5. 2005..of the Sergent brothers on the role of Phlebotomus papatasi in the transmission of cutaneous leishmaniasis in Algeria (1921), it became obvious that phlebotomine sandflies should be incriminated as vectors of cutaneous ..
- Ataxia with oculomotor apraxia type 2: a clinical and genetic study of 19 patientsM Tazir
Laboratoire de Neurosciences, Université d Alger, Service de Neurologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Mustapha, Alger, Algeria
J Neurol Sci 278:77-81. 2009..spectrum of 19 AOA2 patients with mutations in SETX, which seems to be the third most frequent form of ARCA in Algeria after Freidreich ataxia and Ataxia with vitamin E deficiency...
- Sexual and bodily rights as human rights in the Middle East and North AfricaLiz Ercevik Amado
Women for Women s Human Rights New Ways, Istanbul, Turkey
Reprod Health Matters 12:125-8. 2004..in Malta in 2003, attended by 22 NGO representatives from Jordan, Egypt, Lebanon, Palestine, Tunisia, Morocco, Algeria, Turkey, Pakistan and USA...
- African 1, an epidemiologically important clonal complex of Mycobacterium bovis dominant in Mali, Nigeria, Cameroon, and ChadBorna Muller
Swiss Tropical Institute, Socinstrasse 57, 4002 Basel, Switzerland
J Bacteriol 191:1951-60. 2009..Strains with the Af1-specific deletion (RDAf1) were not identified in M. bovis isolates from Algeria, Burundi, Ethiopia, Madagascar, Mozambique, South Africa, Tanzania, and Uganda...
- Operational implications of using 2006 World Health Organization growth standards in nutrition programmes: secondary data analysisAndrew Seal
Centre for International Health and Development, Institute of Child Health, London WC1N 1EH
BMJ 334:733. 2007..To assess the implications of adopting the World Health Organization 2006 growth standards in combination with current diagnostic criteria in emergency and non-emergency child feeding programmes...
- Prevalence of penicillin and erythromycin resistance among invasive Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates reported by laboratories in the southern and eastern Mediterranean regionM A Borg
Infection Control Unit, Mater Dei Hospital, Msida MSD05, Malta
Clin Microbiol Infect 15:232-7. 2009..from blood and spinal fluid cultures routinely processed within 59 participating laboratories situated in Algeria, Cyprus, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Malta, Morocco, Tunisia and Turkey...
- Helicobacter pylori: the Middle East scenarioB H Novis
Gastroenterology Unit, Meir Hospital, Kfar Saba, Israel
Yale J Biol Med 71:135-41. 1998..Prevalence studies have been performed in asymptomatic population groups from Algeria, Israel, Saudi Arabia and Turkey. These showed that the prevalence of H...
- CANCER IN THE JERUSALEM PERINATAL STUDY COHORTSusan Harlap; Fiscal Year: 2002..Approximately two thirds of the Jews were refugees, or their offspring, from Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt, Iraq, Iran, Turkey, Yemen, Syria or Lebanon...
- MACROPHAGE IRON METABOLISM AND TUBERCULOSIS INFECTIONMegan Murray; Fiscal Year: 2007..The elucidation of the role of host iron status on the growth of M. tuberculosis may help identify those at high risk for disease progression and lead to therapeutic interventions aimed at reducing macrophage iron stores. ..
- Curriculum in emerging infectious disease transmission (RMI)Megan Murray; Fiscal Year: 2007....