Genomes and Genes
Summary: A republic in southern Africa, east of ZAMBIA and BOTSWANA and west of MOZAMBIQUE. Its capital is Harare. It was formerly called Rhodesia and Southern Rhodesia. The region was under the administration of the British South Africa Company from 1889 to 1923 when it became a self-governing British colony. Zimbabwe was a member of the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland 1953-63. It was granted independence by the British in 1980 when it became Zimbabwe. The name is from that of a famous archaeological site whose name is the Bantu zimba we bahwe, (house of stones) from zimba, the plural of imba (house) + bahwe (stones). It refers to ruins comprising an acropolis with huge walls of monoliths fitted without mortar. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p1013, 1374 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p610)
Publications319 found, 100 shown here
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of combined nevirapine and zidovudine compared with nevirapine alone in the prevention of perinatal transmission of HIV in ZimbabwePaul Thistle
The Salvation Army Howard Hospital, Glendale, Zimbabwe
Clin Infect Dis 44:111-9. 2007..There is limited data about the benefit of usZDV added to sdNVP to prevent mother-to-child transmission...
- Effect of maternal HIV and malaria infection on pregnancy and perinatal outcome in ZimbabweCarlo Ticconi
Department of Surgery, Section of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Via Montpellier 1 00173 Rome, Italy
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 34:289-94. 2003..To investigate the effect of isolated or concomitant infection with malaria and HIV on pregnancy and neonatal outcome...
- Methods to reduce social desirability bias in sex surveys in low-development settings: experience in ZimbabweSimon Gregson
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, Norfolk Place, London, United Kingdom
Sex Transm Dis 29:568-75. 2002..GOAL The goal of this report was to describe and evaluate an informal, confidential, low-technology method-Informal Confidential Voting Interviews (ICVIs)-for collecting sexual behavior data in less developed settings...
- HIV infection presenting in older children and adolescents: a case series from Harare, ZimbabweRashida A Ferrand
Mortimer Market Centre, Camden Primary Care Trust, London WC1E 6AU, UK
Clin Infect Dis 44:874-8. 2007..We investigated social and clinical features in patients of this age group presenting to a HIV treatment clinic with special adolescent services in Harare, Zimbabwe.
- Efficacy and side effects of praziquantel treatment against Schistosoma haematobium infection among primary school children in ZimbabweN Midzi
National Institute of Health Research, Box CY 573, Causeway, Harare, Zimbabwe
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 102:759-66. 2008..a school-based deworming programme in the Burma Valley commercial farming area and the Nyamaropa rural areas in Zimbabwe, where the disease is highly endemic. Among 767 individuals infected with S. haematobium, 675 (88...
- Intestinal parasites in patients with diarrhea and human immunodeficiency virus infection in ZimbabweT Gumbo
Department of Infectious Disease, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio, USA
AIDS 13:819-21. 1999To determine the prevalence of intestinal parasites and risk factors for infection associated with diarrhea in HIV-infected patients in Harare, Zimbabwe.
- The physical fitness and work performance of agricultural workers infected with Schistosoma mansoni in ZimbabweJ Ndamba
Blair Research Laboratory, Causeway, Harare, Zimbabwe
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 87:553-61. 1993Stool specimens were collected from 1995 sugarcane cutters on the Hippo Valley and Triangle sugar estates, Zimbabwe, in order to determine the prevalence and intensity of Schistosoma mansoni infection...
- Community group participation: can it help young women to avoid HIV? An exploratory study of social capital and school education in rural ZimbabweSimon Gregson
Wellcome Trust Centre for the Epidemiology of Infectious Disease, Oxford University, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3FY, UK
Soc Sci Med 58:2119-32. 2004..We use cross-sectional data from a large-scale, population-based survey in rural eastern Zimbabwe to describe the relationships between membership of different forms of community group and young women's chances ..
- HIV incidence and poverty in Manicaland, Zimbabwe: is HIV becoming a disease of the poor?Ben Lopman
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College, London, UK
AIDS 21:S57-66. 2007In Zimbabwe, socioeconomic development has a complicated and changeable relationship with HIV infection...
- Prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV: evaluation of a pilot programme in a district hospital in rural ZimbabweFreddy Perez
Institut de Santé Publique, d Epidémiologie et de Développement ISPED, Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, 146 rue Leo Saignat, 33076 Bordeaux, France
BMJ 329:1147-50. 2004b>Zimbabwe has one of the highest rates of HIV seroprevalence in the world. In 2001 only 4% of women and children in need of services for prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV were receiving them.
- Acceptability of routine HIV testing ("opt-out") in antenatal services in two rural districts of ZimbabweFreddy Perez
Institut de Santé Publique, d Epidémiologie et de Développement ISPED, Universite Victor Segalen, Bordeaux 2, France
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 41:514-20. 2006..An exploratory cross-sectional survey was conducted in 6 PMTCT sites in rural Zimbabwe. Women who had attended ANC in health centers where PMTCT was provided were surveyed in postnatal services...
- High prevalence of the CYP2B6 516G-->T(*6) variant and effect on the population pharmacokinetics of efavirenz in HIV/AIDS outpatients in ZimbabweChristopher Nyakutira
Department of DMPK and BAC, African Institute of Biomedical Science and Technology AiBST, P O Box 2294, Harare, Zimbabwe
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 64:357-65. 2008..The study sought to investigate the relationship between efavirenz exposure and the CYP2B6 516G-->T(*6) genotype in HIV/AIDS outpatients, using pharmacokinetic modelling and simulation...
- From affected to infected? Orphanhood and HIV risk among female adolescents in urban ZimbabweIsolde J Birdthistle
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
AIDS 22:759-66. 2008..Despite the 15 million children orphaned by AIDS, and fears of sexual vulnerability, little is known about the link between orphanhood and HIV risk...
- Removing barriers to knowing HIV status: same-day mobile HIV testing in ZimbabweStephen F Morin
AIDS Policy Research Center, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 41:218-24. 2006....
- HIV incidence during a cluster-randomized trial of two strategies providing voluntary counselling and testing at the workplace, ZimbabweElizabeth L Corbett
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
AIDS 21:483-9. 2007..Counselling may promote beneficial behavioural change, although knowledge of negative status does not appear to contribute further benefit...
- Quality of life, psychosocial health, and antiretroviral therapy among HIV-positive women in ZimbabweRena Patel
Department of Internal Medicine, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, USA
AIDS Care 21:1517-27. 2009..Therefore, we conducted a cross-sectional study in Zimbabwe to assess the impact of ART on HIV-positive women's health-related quality of life, using the Medical Outcomes ..
- Smallholder dairy farming in the Chikwaka communal land, Zimbabwe: birth, death and demographic trendsN P French
Department of Veterinary Clinical Science and Animal Husbandry, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Liverpool, Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Leahurst, South Wirral CH64 7TE, Neston, UK
Prev Vet Med 48:101-12. 2001..morbidity and productivity of cattle on smallholder dairy farms was conducted in Chikwaka communal land, Zimbabwe. We estimated the frequency and determinants of mortality in DDP cattle and explored demographic trends...
- Constraints faced by sex workers in use of female and male condoms for safer sex in urban zimbabweS Ray
SAfAIDS, Harare, Zimbabwe
J Urban Health 78:581-92. 2001..However, more work is needed to help sex workers achieve safer sex in noncommercial relationships...
- How do countries regulate the health sector? Evidence from Tanzania and ZimbabweL Kumaranayake
Health Policy Unit, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
Health Policy Plan 15:357-67. 2000..presents the existing network of regulations governing private activity in the health sectors of Tanzania and Zimbabwe, and their appropriateness in the context of emerging market realities...
- Implementing a rural programme of prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV in Zimbabwe: first 18 months of experienceFreddy Perez
Institut de Santé Publique, d Epidémiologie et de Développement ISPED, Universite Victor Segalen, Bordeaux, France
Trop Med Int Health 9:774-83. 2004To report on activities and lessons learned during the first 18 months of a rural programme of prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV (PMTCT) in Zimbabwe.
- High prevalence of Enterocytozoon bieneusi infections among HIV-positive individuals with persistent diarrhoea in Harare, ZimbabweT van Gool
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 89:478-80. 1995..Faecal specimens were obtained from 202 adults and 106 children in Harare, Zimbabwe, all of whom were in hospital and had diarrhoea...
- A randomized controlled safety trial of the diaphragm and cellulose sulfate microbicide gel in sexually active women in ZimbabweAriane van der Straten
Department of Ob Gyn, University of California San Francisco, Women s Global Health Imperative, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Contraception 76:389-99. 2007Cellulose sulfate (CS) is an antimicrobial and contraceptive agent. We assessed its safety when used alone or with the diaphragm in Harare, Zimbabwe.
- The clinical surface anatomy anomalies of the palmaris longus muscle in the Black African population of Zimbabwe and a proposed new testing techniqueHope Gangata
Department of Human Biology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, Cape Town City, South Africa
Clin Anat 22:230-5. 2009..The author proposes a new technique to test the tendon of PLM, which combines resisted thumb abduction and resisted wrist flexion. The proposed technique capitalizes on the role of the PLM as an important abductor of the thumb...
- Patterns of individual and population-level adherence to antiretroviral therapy and risk factors for poor adherence in the first year of the DART trial in Uganda and ZimbabweSylvia K Muyingo
MRC Uganda Research Unit on AIDS, Entebbe, Uganda
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 48:468-75. 2008..Good adherence is essential for successful antiretroviral therapy (ART) provision, but simple measures have rarely been validated in Africa...
- Pyrethroid resistance in the major malaria vector Anopheles arabiensis from Gwave, a malaria-endemic area in ZimbabweGivemore Munhenga
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Zimbabwe, Mount Pleasant, Harare, Zimbabwe
Malar J 7:247. 2008..Following the recent detection of DDT resistance in Anopheles arabiensis in Gokwe, Zimbabwe, the underlying resistance mechanisms in this population were studied.
- Prevalence and intensity of schistosomiasis in two rural areas in Zimbabwe and their relationship to village location and snail infection ratesS K Chandiwana
Blair Research Laboratory, Causeway, Harare, Zimbabwe
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 82:163-73. 1988Surveys for schistosomiasis of 2498 people of various ages from 22 villages in northeast Zimbabwe are reported. A high prevalence of Schistosoma haematobium (53.1%) and a medium prevalence of S. mansoni (17.5%) were found...
- Schistosomiasis and HIV-1 infection in rural Zimbabwe: effect of treatment of schistosomiasis on CD4 cell count and plasma HIV-1 RNA loadPer Kallestrup
Center for Inflammation and Metabolism, Department of Infectious Diseases, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Infect Dis 192:1956-61. 2005..17). The present study suggests that treatment of schistosomiasis can reduce the rate of viral replication and increase CD4 cell count in the coinfected host...
- Biomarker validation of reports of recent sexual activity: results of a randomized controlled study in ZimbabweAlexandra M Minnis
Women s Global Health Imperative, RTI International, San Francisco, CA 94104, USA
Am J Epidemiol 170:918-24. 2009..Self-report was a poor predictor of recent sexual activity and condom use in this study, regardless of interview mode, providing evidence that such data should be interpreted cautiously...
- The appropriateness of core group interventions using presumptive periodic treatment among rural Zimbabwean women who exchange sex for gifts or moneyFrances M Cowan
Department of Sexually Transmitted Diseases, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, UK
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 38:202-7. 2005To map the characteristics of rural based sex workers in Zimbabwe with regard to demographics, mobility, behavior, HIV and sexually transmitted infection (STI) prevalence, to explore the appropriateness and feasibility of presumptive ..
- Changing patterns of adult mortality as the HIV epidemic matures in Manicaland, eastern ZimbabweJennifer Smith
Imperial College, London, UK
AIDS 21:S81-6. 2007HIV prevalence declined in Manicaland, eastern Zimbabwe, between 1998 and 2003. During this period, adult mortality in men was stable, whereas female mortality increased to levels similar to those of men...
- Towards empirical description of malaria seasonality in southern Africa: the example of ZimbabweM L H Mabaso
Malaria Research Programme, Medical Research Council, Durban, South Africa
Trop Med Int Health 10:909-18. 2005..There is a need for seasonality models that predict quantitative variation in transmission between months...
- The epidemiology and population biology of Necator americanus infection in a rural community in ZimbabweM Bradley
Blair Research Laboratory, Harare, Zimbabwe
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 86:73-6. 1992Baseline data from an epidemiological study of hookworm infection in a rural community in Zimbabwe are presented. The infection status of an age-stratified sample of the community was assessed using anthelmintic expulsion techniques...
- HIV incidence in 3 years of follow-up of a Zimbabwe cohort--1998-2000 to 2001-03: contributions of proximate and underlying determinants to transmissionBen Lopman
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College London, UK
Int J Epidemiol 37:88-105. 2008In recent years, HIV prevalence has begun to decline in Zimbabwe, which has been associated with reductions in sexual risk behaviour...
- Uptake of workplace HIV counselling and testing: a cluster-randomised trial in ZimbabweElizabeth L Corbett
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 3:e238. 2006..HIV counselling and testing is a key component of both HIV care and HIV prevention, but uptake is currently low. We investigated the impact of rapid HIV testing at the workplace on uptake of voluntary counselling and testing (VCT)...
- Creating demand for sanitation and hygiene through Community Health Clubs: a cost-effective intervention in two districts in ZimbabweJuliet Waterkeyn
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Soc Sci Med 61:1958-70. 2005..4 billion people without sanitation by the year 2015. This study describes an innovative methodology used in Zimbabwe--Community Health Clubs--which significantly changed hygiene behaviour and built rural demand for sanitation...
- The prevalence of antibody to the viruses of bovine virus diarrhoea, bovine herpes virus 1, rift valley fever, ephemeral fever and bluetongue and to Leptospira sp in free-ranging wildlife in ZimbabweE C Anderson
Central Veterinary Laboratory, Causeway, Harare, Zimbabwe
Epidemiol Infect 121:441-9. 1998..was determined in wildlife populations in Zimbabwe. Evidence of infection with BVD virus was found in 14 of the 16 species examined but was greatest in eland ..
- Female genital schistosomiasis--a differential diagnosis to sexually transmitted disease: genital itch and vaginal discharge as indicators of genital Schistosoma haematobium morbidity in a cross-sectional study in endemic rural ZimbabweEyrun Floerecke Kjetland
Centre for Imported and Tropical Diseases, Ullevaal University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Trop Med Int Health 13:1509-17. 2008..To examine the association between schistosomiasis and reproductive tract symptoms...
- Outcome of common mental disorders in Harare, ZimbabweV Patel
Section of Epidemiology and General Practice, Institute of Psychiatry, London
Br J Psychiatry 172:53-7. 1998..Little is known about the outcome of common mental disorders (CMD) in primary care attenders in low income countries...
- The burden of disease in Zimbabwe in 1997 as measured by disability-adjusted life years lostGlyn Chapman
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, School of Medicine, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK
Trop Med Int Health 11:660-71. 2006To rank health problems contributing most to the burden of disease in Zimbabwe using disability-adjusted life years as the population health measure.
- The burden of polyparasitism among primary schoolchildren in rural and farming areas in ZimbabweN Midzi
National Institute of Health Research, Box CY 573, Causeway, Harare, Zimbabwe
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 102:1039-45. 2008A cross-sectional study was conducted in Zimbabwe among 1303 primary schoolchildren from a rural (53.3%) and a commercial farming area (46.7%) to determine the prevalence of co-infection by helminths and Plasmodium falciparum...
- The hide-and-seek game: men's perspectives on abortion and contraceptive use within marriage in a rural community in ZimbabweJeremiah Chikovore
Department of Psychiatry, University of Zimbabwe Bulawayo College of Health Sciences
J Biosoc Sci 34:317-32. 2002..aimed at understanding the perceptions of men to induced abortion and contraceptive use within marriage in rural Zimbabwe. Two qualitative methods were combined...
- Climate changes and suitability for the ticks Amblyomma hebraeum and Amblyomma variegatum (Ixodidae) in Zimbabwe (1974-1999)Agustin Estrada-Pena
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Zaragoza, Miguel Servet 177, 50013 Zaragoza, Spain
Vet Parasitol 151:256-67. 2008The spread of Amblyomma hebraeum has been reported in Zimbabwe. At the same time there was little or no spread in the distribution of Amblyomma variegatum...
- Culture and context of HIV prevention in rural Zimbabwe: the influence of gender inequalityLynne Duffy
Nursing Faculty, University of New Brunswick, Canada
J Transcult Nurs 16:23-31. 2005After many years of HIV prevention in Zimbabwe, AIDS morbidity and mortality rates continue to rise...
- Sex worker, client sex behaviour and condom use in Harare, ZimbabweD Wilson
Department of Psychology, University of Zimbabwe, Harare
AIDS Care 1:269-80. 1989One-hundred sex workers and 100 clients were interviewed at a bar/disco complex in Harare, Zimbabwe in 1989. Sociodemographic characteristics of sex workers and clients were examined...
- Maternal body composition, HIV infection and other predictors of gestation length and birth size in ZimbabweHenrik Friis
Department of Epidemiology, Institute of Public Health, University of Copenhagen, DK 2200 Copenhagen N, Denmark
Br J Nutr 92:833-40. 2004..The study population was 1669 antenatal care attendees in Harare, Zimbabwe. A prospective cohort study was conducted as part of a randomised, controlled trial...
- Measuring the quality of supervisor-provider interactions in health care facilities in ZimbabwePaula Tavrow
Quality Assurance Project, Center for Human Services, Bethesda, MD, USA
Int J Qual Health Care 14:57-66. 2002..Project to describe and quantify the quality of supervisor-provider interactions in health care facilities in Zimbabwe in 1999...
- Microbiological quality of water processed and bottled in ZimbabweR N Okagbue
Department of Applied Biology and Biochemistry, National University of Science and Technology NUST, P O Box AC 939 Ascot, Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Afr J Health Sci 9:99-103. 2002A total of sixty samples of bottled water processed in Zimbabwe by three companies, were analysed microbiologically, to assess the relative safety of locally processed bottled water...
- Consistency in condom use in the context of HIV/AIDS in ZimbabweJ Adetunji
Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH 43403, USA
J Biosoc Sci 33:121-38. 2001Against the backdrop of a high prevalence of the human immunodeficiency virus infection in Zimbabwe, this paper analyses data from the 1997 Zimbabwe Sexual Behaviour and Condom Use Survey to throw light on the degree to which sexually ..
- HIV-1 seroconversion incidence following pregnancy and delivery among women seronegative at recruitment in Harare, ZimbabweM T Mbizvo
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Zimbabwe Medical School, Avondale, Harare, Zimbabwe
Cent Afr J Med 47:115-8. 2001..To estimate the incidence of HIV seroconversion among women following pregnancy and delivery...
- What is youth-friendly? Adolescents' preferences for reproductive health services in Kenya and ZimbabweAnnabel S Erulkar
Population Council, Accra, Ghana
Afr J Reprod Health 9:51-8. 2005..Large scale population-based surveys were carried out among youth in Kenya and Zimbabwe. A list of characteristics that programmers often think of as youth-friendly was read to respondents, after which ..
- What is 'sex' exactly? Using cognitive interviewing to improve the validity of sexual behaviour reporting among young people in rural ZimbabweWebster Mavhu
Department of Community Medicine, University of Zimbabwe, Zimbabwe
Cult Health Sex 10:563-72. 2008..study aimed to improve the validity of questionnaire responses through cognitive interviewing of young people in Zimbabwe to better understand their underlying thought processes when responding to sexual behaviour questions...
- The feasibility of voluntary counselling and HIV testing for pregnant women using community volunteers in ZimbabweAvinash K Shetty
Department of Pediatrics, Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, CA, USA
Int J STD AIDS 16:755-9. 2005..and acceptability of voluntary counselling and HIV testing (VCT) by pregnant women using community volunteers in Zimbabwe to prevent mother to child transmission (MTCT) of HIV...
- Prescription habits of dispensing and non-dispensing doctors in ZimbabweBirna Trap
Department of Social Pharmacy, Royal Danish School of Pharmacy, Copenhagen, Denmark
Health Policy Plan 17:288-95. 2002..We present a comparative drug utilization study of 29 dispensing doctors and 28 non-dispensing doctors in Zimbabwe based on standard indicators developed by the World Health Organization...
- Pregnancy and the risk of HIV-1 acquisition among women in Uganda and ZimbabweCharles S Morrison
Clinical Research Department, Family Health International, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
AIDS 21:1027-34. 2007..We used data from a large, prospective study of hormonal contraception and HIV-1 to evaluate the effect of pregnancy on the risk of HIV-1 acquisition...
- Sanitation, community environments, and childhood diarrhoea in rural ZimbabweG P Root
Department of Geography, University of Liverpool, UK
J Health Popul Nutr 19:73-82. 2001..were collected for 45 weeks from October 1996 to August 1997 in two neighbouring semi-arid communities in rural Zimbabwe. The communities were similar except for sanitation...
- Evaluating the proximate determinants framework for HIV infection in rural ZimbabweJames J C Lewis
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London, WC1E 7HT, UK
Sex Transm Infect 83:i61-69. 2007..One suggested solution has been a proximate determinants framework, in which risk factors are grouped into "underlying", "proximate" and "biological" determinants...
- Composition and bioactivity of the leaf essential oil of Heteropyxis dehniae from ZimbabweSamson Sibanda
Department of Chemistry, University of Zimbabwe, Box MP 167, Harare, Zimbabwe
J Ethnopharmacol 92:107-11. 2004..Caryophyllene oxide shows notable cytotoxic activity with LC50 values of 147-351 microM...
- In vitro antiplasmodial evaluation of medicinal plants from ZimbabweCarola Kraft
Institut für Pharmazie Pharmazeutische Biologie, Freie Universitat Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Phytother Res 17:123-8. 2003..1-4.8 microgram/mL)...
- Sarcomas of the oral and maxillofacial region: a review of 88 cases in ZimbabweM M Chidzonga
Department of Dentistry, College of Health Sciences, University of Zimbabwe, P O Box A178, Avondale, Harare, Zimbabwe
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 45:317-8. 2007..There were 51 men (mean age 23 years) and 37 women (mean age 29). Forty-six tumours were in the mandible. Osteosarcoma accounted for 31 cases, and rhabdomyosarcoma 21 (usually under the age of 10 years)...
- Use of ceramic water filtration in the prevention of diarrheal disease: a randomized controlled trial in rural South Africa and zimbabweMartella Du Preez
Natural Resources and the Environment, CSIR, Pretoria, South Africa
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:696-701. 2008..the effectiveness of ceramic filters in reducing diarrhea, we conducted a randomized controlled trial in Zimbabwe and South Africa, in which 61 of 115 households received ceramic filters...
- Women's power and anthropometric status in ZimbabweM J Hindin
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27516 3997, USA
Soc Sci Med 51:1517-28. 2000The relationship between household decision-making and married women's anthropometry--based on data from the 1994 Zimbabwe Demographic and Health Survey--is analyzed...
- Prevalence of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli virulence genes from scouring piglets in ZimbabweEvelyn Madoroba
Department of Microbiology and Plant Pathology, University of Pretoria, 0002, Pretoria, South Africa
Trop Anim Health Prod 41:1539-47. 2009..coli isolated from diarrheic piglets from randomly selected piggeries in Zimbabwe. We used multiplex PCR for screening STa, STb, LT, and Stx-2e toxins...
- Alcohol use among school-going adolescents in Harare, Zimbabwe: results from the 2003 Global School-Based Health SurveyS Siziya
Department of Community Medicine, University of Zambia, School of Medicine, Lusaka, Zambia
Tanzan J Health Res 11:11-6. 2009..70 [95% CI (0.50, 0.98)] to consume alcohol. There is a need to implement public health interventions with special attention to the determinants of alcohol consumption in this age group...
- Community participation as an interactive learning process: experiences from a schistosomiasis control project in ZimbabweAddmore Ndekha
Royal Danish School of Pharmacy, Universitetsparken 2, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Acta Trop 85:325-38. 2003A schistosomiasis control project was undertaken from 1994 to 1998 in Guruve District, Zimbabwe, based on the active involvement of local communities in the growing and application of the molluscicidal plant Phytolacca dodecandra as a ..
- Scale-free networks and sexually transmitted diseases: a description of observed patterns of sexual contacts in Britain and ZimbabweAnne Schneeberger
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, London, UK
Sex Transm Dis 31:380-7. 2004..In physics, networks have been characterized as "scale-free" if they follow a power law with an exponent between 2 and 3...
- Developing complex interventions for rigorous evaluation--a case study from rural ZimbabweR Power
Centre for Sexual Health and HIV Research, University College London, London WC1E 6AU, UK
Health Educ Res 19:570-5. 2004..a feasibility study helped redesign and shape a complex intervention targeting adolescent sexual health in rural Zimbabwe. By using a mixture of in-depth interviews, focus groups and participant observation with pupils, parents, ..
- Is education the link between orphanhood and HIV/HSV-2 risk among female adolescents in urban Zimbabwe?Isolde Birdthistle
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
Soc Sci Med 68:1810-8. 2009..of education in explaining the excess sexual risk previously documented among unmarried female orphans in urban Zimbabwe. School attendance and attainment were assessed by type of orphanhood, and for their association with markers of ..
- Unprotected sex following HIV testing among women in Uganda and Zimbabwe: short- and long-term comparisons with pre-test behaviourAbigail Norris Turner
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7435, USA
Int J Epidemiol 38:997-1007. 2009..Despite widespread condom promotion for HIV prevention, prospective measurement of condom use before and after HIV testing is infrequent...
- Cancer incidence in the African population of Harare, Zimbabwe: second results from the cancer registry 1993-1995E Chokunonga
Zimbabwe Cancer Registry, Parirenyatwa Hospital, Harare, Zimbabwe
Int J Cancer 85:54-9. 2000The data of the population-based cancer registry in Harare, Zimbabwe, for 1993-1995 are presented and compared with those from 1990-1992...
- Safer sex and reproductive choice: findings from "positive women: voices and choices" in ZimbabweRayah Feldman
London South Bank University, UK
Reprod Health Matters 11:162-73. 2003..The project in Zimbabwe, the first one in three countries, was carried out from 1998 to 2001...
- Effect of postpartum maternal or neonatal vitamin A supplementation on infant mortality among infants born to HIV-negative mothers in ZimbabweLucie C Malaba
Department of Nutrition, University of Zimbabwe, Harare, Zimbabwe
Am J Clin Nutr 81:454-60. 2005....
- HIV decline associated with behavior change in eastern ZimbabweSimon Gregson
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College London, UK
Science 311:664-6. 2006..We report a decline in HIV prevalence in eastern Zimbabwe between 1998 and 2003 associated with sexual behavior change in four distinct socioeconomic strata...
- Beer halls as a focus for HIV prevention activities in rural ZimbabweJames J C Lewis
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, London, UK
Sex Transm Dis 32:364-9. 2005The authors conducted an assessment of the role of beer halls in the HIV epidemic of rural Zimbabwe as part of the ongoing identification of risky places for the targeting of prevention activities.
- Field evaluation of diagnostic accuracy of an oral fluid rapid test for HIV, tested at point-of-service sites in rural ZimbabweSophie J S Pascoe
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
AIDS Patient Care STDS 23:571-6. 2009..Bethlehem, PA) on oral fluid for a population-based HIV prevalence survey of rural youth in southeast Zimbabwe. The evaluation was conducted in patients presenting for voluntary counseling and testing at rural clinics...
- HIV disclosure and discussions about grief with Shona children: a comparison between health care workers and community members in Eastern ZimbabweAnniek J De Baets
FSP ISPED Zimbabwe, Universite Victor Segalen, Bordeaux, France
Soc Sci Med 66:479-91. 2008..An anonymous survey was taken from 64 primary health care workers and 131 community members from rural Eastern Zimbabwe. The results expressed a high need and desire for such communications and should be interpreted against a ..
- Chronic cough and its association with TB-HIV co-infection: factors affecting help-seeking behaviour in Harare, ZimbabweWebster Mavhu
Department of Community Medicine, University of Zimbabwe, 92 Prince Edward Road, Harare, Zimbabwe
Trop Med Int Health 15:574-9. 2010..To qualitatively investigate reasons why individuals who reported chronic cough of 2 weeks or more in a cross-sectional prevalence survey had not accessed community-based outreach or other diagnostic services...
- Poorer health and nutritional outcomes in orphans and vulnerable young children not explained by greater exposure to extreme poverty in ZimbabweHelen Watts
Department of Infectious Disease Eidemiology, Imperial College London, St Mary s Campus, UK
Trop Med Int Health 12:584-93. 2007....
- Measuring trends in age at first sex and age at marriage in Manicaland, ZimbabweI Cremin
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College London, London, UK
Sex Transm Infect 85:i34-40. 2009..To identify reporting biases and to determine the influence of inconsistent reporting on observed trends in the timing of age at first sex and age at marriage...
- Knowledge of malaria, risk perception, and compliance with prophylaxis and personal and environmental preventive measures in travelers exiting Zimbabwe from Harare and Victoria Falls International airportS M Laver
Department of Community Medicine, University of Zimbabwe Medical School, Avondale, Harare, Zimbabwe
J Travel Med 8:298-303. 2001..and personal and environmental protection measures we conducted a study in a cohort of travelers exiting Zimbabwe from two international airports during a peak malaria transmission period...
- An ethnobotanical study of plants used for the treatment of sexually transmitted diseases (njovhera) in Guruve District, ZimbabweL Kambizi
Department of Botany, University of Fort Hare, Alice 5700, South Africa
J Ethnopharmacol 77:5-9. 2001The use of medicinal plants in Guruve District, Zimbabwe, contributes significantly to primary health care of the people of the area...
- When did HIV incidence peak in Harare, Zimbabwe? Back-calculation from mortality statisticsBen Lopman
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 3:e1711. 2008HIV prevalence has recently begun to decline in Zimbabwe, a result of both high levels of AIDS mortality and a reduction in incident infections...
- Fatal Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in HIV-seropositive infants in Harare, ZimbabweK J Nathoo
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, University of Zimbabwe Medical School, P O Box A178, Avondale, Harare, Zimbabwe
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 95:37-9. 2001Lung biopsies taken post mortem from 24 HIV-seropositive children who died of pneumonia in Harare Hospital (Zimbabwe) during 1995 were examined for pathogens using histology, culture, microscopy and polymerase chain reaction (PCR)...
- A qualitative study of women's perspectives of antenatal care in a rural area of ZimbabweThubelihle Mathole
Department of Women s and Children s Health, Section for International Maternal and Child Health, Uppsala University, University Hospital, Entrance 11, SE 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
Midwifery 20:122-32. 2004..To describe the perspectives and experiences of women in their use of antenatal care and in their reasoning on specific antenatal care routines...
- A clinical evaluation of children under the age of five years who are household contacts of adults with sputum positive tuberculosis in Harare, ZimbabweS Mtombeni
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, University of Zimbabwe, Medical School, PO Box A178, Avondale, Harare, Zimbabwe
Cent Afr J Med 48:28-32. 2002To determine the prevalence and risk factors for transmission of tuberculosis in children under five years of age who are household contact of sputum smear positive tuberculosis adults in Harare, Zimbabwe.
- Improving young people's access to reproductive health care in rural ZimbabweL F Langhaug
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
AIDS Care 15:147-57. 2003..explore ways to improve the accessibility of clinics for young people with reproductive health problems in rural Zimbabwe. This study, which took place in rural Masvingo, was part of a project to develop a comprehensive adolescent ..
- Risk factors for prematurity at Harare Maternity Hospital, ZimbabweShingairai A Feresu
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104 3028, USA
Int J Epidemiol 33:1194-201. 2004..This preliminary study describes the socio-demographic, reproductive, medical, and obstetrical risk factors for having a live pre-term delivery (PTD) in Zimbabwe.
- Cytotoxic activity of Ozoroa insignis from ZimbabweAngela I Rea
Department of Chemistry, University of Alabama in Huntsville, Huntsville, AL 35899, USA
Fitoterapia 74:732-5. 2003..Bioactivity-directed chromatographic separation led to isolation of anacardic acid and ginkgoic acid as the cytotoxic components...
- HIV and other predictors of serum beta-carotene and retinol in pregnancy: a cross-sectional study in ZimbabweH Friis
Research Department of Human Nutrition, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Frederiksberg, Denmark
Am J Clin Nutr 73:1058-65. 2001..Vitamin A status during pregnancy is important to maternal and infant health...
- Complete nucleotide sequence of Middelburg virus, isolated from the spleen of a horse with severe clinical disease in ZimbabweHoussam Attoui
Department of Arbovirology, Institute for Animal Health, Pirbright, Woking, Surrey GU24 0NF, UK
J Gen Virol 88:3078-88. 2007The complete nucleotide sequence of Middelburg virus (MIDV) was determined for strain MIDV-857 from Zimbabwe. The isolation of this virus in 1993 from a horse that died showing severe clinical signs represents the first indication that ..
- Praziquantel treatment of individuals exposed to Schistosoma haematobium enhances serological recognition of defined parasite antigensFrancisca Mutapi
Institute for Immunology and Infection Research, Ashworth Laboratories, School of Biological Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
J Infect Dis 192:1108-18. 2005..This study aimed to identify and compare proteins recognized by serum samples from schistosome-exposed individuals before and after curative praziquantel treatment...
- A randomized control trial of an Ultra-Short zidovudine regimen in the prevention of perinatal HIV transmission in rural ZimbabweP Thistle
The Salvation Army Howard Hospital, Glendale, Zimbabwe
Cent Afr J Med 50:79-84. 2004To assess the practicality and effectiveness of an Ultra-Short zidovudine regimen for prevention of perinatal HIV transmission in rural Zimbabwe.
- Prevalence of urinary schistosomiasis and HIV in females living in a rural community of Zimbabwe: does age matter?P D Ndhlovu
Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences, University of Zimbabwe, Harare, Zimbabwe
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 101:433-8. 2007A cross-sectional study was conducted on 544 women living in Mupfure rural area of Zimbabwe to determine whether infection with urinary schistosomiasis is associated with HIV infection...
- Making a working clinical diagnosis of HIV infection in infants in ZimbabwePeter Iliff
ZVITAMBO Project, Borrowdale, Harare, Zimbabwe
Trop Med Int Health 13:1459-69. 2008..This analysis uses data from a large clinical trial to test such algorithms, and thereby develop a successor which performs usefully in poor countries with high HIV-prevalence...
- Ocular surface squamous neoplasia (OSSN) and human immunodeficiency virus at Sekuru Kaguvi Eye Unit in Zimbabwe: the role of operational research studies in a resource poor environment?T S Chinogurei
Department of Surgery, University of Zimbabwe, College of Health Sciences, Avondale
Cent Afr J Med 52:56-8. 2006To determine the extent of association and relative risk of developing ocular surface squamous neoplasia (OSSN) among HIV positive patients seen in July 2004 at Sekuru Kaguvi Eye Unit, in Harare, Zimbabwe.
- Mortality and morbidity among postpartum HIV-positive and HIV-negative women in Zimbabwe: risk factors, causes, and impact of single-dose postpartum vitamin A supplementationPartson Zvandasara
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Zimbabwe, College of Health Sciences, Harare, Zimbabwe
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 43:107-16. 2006..Vitamin A deficiency is common among women in resource-poor countries and is associated with greater mortality during HIV...
- Effective and culturally acceptable water storage in Zimbabwe: maintaining the quality of water abstracted from upgraded family wellsE Mazengia
J Environ Health 64:15-8, 25. 2002Because domestic water can be a vehicle of disease transmission in the home, there is a need for intervention. In Zimbabwe. 60 rural households obtaining water from shallow wells were selected for a field study...
- Ecto-, endo- and haemoparasites in free-range chickens in the Goromonzi District in ZimbabweA Permin
Department of Veterinary Microbiology, Section for Parasitology, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Dyrloegevej 100, DK 1870 C, Frederiksberg, Denmark
Prev Vet Med 54:213-24. 2002..determined the prevalence of ecto-, endo- and haemoparasites in free-range chickens from the Goromonzi District, Zimbabwe. Fifty young and 50 adult birds were selected randomly...
- Antimicrobial resistance in gonococci isolated from patients and from commercial sex workers in Harare, ZimbabweP R Mason
University of Zimbabwe Medical School, Harare
Int J Antimicrob Agents 9:175-9. 1997..objective is to compare antibiotic resistance amongst gonococci isolated from different patient groups in Harare, Zimbabwe. Antimicrobial susceptibilities of Neisseria. gonorrhoeae were determined by disc sensitivity tests...
- Report of isolations of unusual lyssaviruses (rabies and Mokola virus) identified retrospectively from ZimbabweJ Bingham
Rabies Unit, Onderstepoort Veterinary Institute, Africa
J S Afr Vet Assoc 72:92-4. 2001..These findings indicate that both Mokola virus and the mongoose-associated variant may be more common in Zimbabwe than is apparent from routine surveillance.
- Testosterone, aging, and body composition in men from Harare, ZimbabweWilliam D Lukas
Department of Anthropology, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Am J Hum Biol 16:704-12. 2004..population, measures of body composition and salivary T were obtained from 109 males ages 20-78 in Harare, Zimbabwe. Measures included height, weight, suprailiac and triceps skinfold, and percent body fat by bioelectric impedance ..
- Community factors shaping the sexual behavior of malesRobert Stephenson; Fiscal Year: 2007..community environment on the sexual behavior of heterosexual males in four countries: Ghana, Nigeria, Zambia and Zimbabwe. Data and Method: The analysis samples are sexually active males (15-54) from the latest Demographic and Health ..
- HIV Implementation Science Research Training ProgramArthur L Reingold; Fiscal Year: 2013..of California, Berkeley (UCB)/University of California, San Francisco (UCSF)/Stanford University/University of Zimbabwe (UZ) Fogarty HIV Implementation Science Research Training Program will provide multi-disciplinary training in ..
- Innate immunity predictors of HIV: the role of contraception, pregnancy and HSV-2Charles Morrison; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will use ~4,000 longitudinal paired serum and cervical specimens from 1,200 women from Uganda and Zimbabwe who used DMPA, COCs and no hormonal contraception and participated in the HC-HIV study with well-specified HIV ..
- International Epidemiologic Databases to Evaluate AIDS-Southern Africa (IeDEA-SA)Matthias Egger; Fiscal Year: 2013..and rural ART programs from 7 countries (Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Republic of South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe) with follow-up up to 10 years will pool data to create a database of 400,000 HIV-infected adults, 10,000 ..
- The CryptoART Study: Decreasing mortality associated with initiation of antiretroCHIRATIDZO ELLEN NDHLOVU; Fiscal Year: 2013..implementation of a screening program for cryptococcosis at a large public HIV/ART treatment centre in Harare, Zimbabwe. The primary objective is to decrease morbidity and mortality associated with the initiation of ART by decreasing ..
- Development of a live, genetically-attenuated cholera vaccine prototype that coulJORGE ANTONIO BENITEZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..cholerae serogroup O139. The magnitude, severity and duration of recent outbreaks in Angola, Zimbabwe, Vietnam, and Haiti, have strengthened a recommendation by the World Health Organization for the preventive use ..
- Training Grant Pediatric Infectious Diseases: Viral Infections in ChildrenYvonne A Maldonado; Fiscal Year: 2013..of Medicine, Microbiology and Immunology, and Pathology, and with collaborators from the University of Zimbabwe, the University of California Berkeley School of Public Health, and the Universidad Autonoma and Hospital ..
- Improving Early Identification of Drug Resistant Tuberculosis in HIV Prevalent SeJohn Z Metcalfe; Fiscal Year: 2013..Dr. Metcalfe's research will capitalize on an extensive pre-existing research infrastructure in Zimbabwe centered on an NIH Division of AIDS-funded Clinical Trials Unit (5U01AI069436-04) to improve early identification ..
- Harvard School of Public Health MHIRT Training Program GrantMichelle A Williams; Fiscal Year: 2013..training while working on collaborative research projects with investigators in countries including Ethiopia, Zimbabwe, Ecuador, Peru, Mexico, the Republic of Georgia, Vietnam, and Thailand...
- Environmental/Behavioral Factors Shaping Circumcision Decisions in ZimbabweDaniel E Montano; Fiscal Year: 2012..g., >80%) are not circumcised. Zimbabwe is such a country and is considering development of an MC program...
- Shaping the Health of Adolescents in Zimbabwe (SHAZ!)MEGAN SUZANNE DUNBAR; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Zimbabwe is confronting the synergistic plagues of a generalized HIV epidemic and rapid economic decline...
- STERILITY IN SUB-SAHARAN AFRICAUlla Larsen; Fiscal Year: 1992..Ghana, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Nigeria, Senegal, Sudan, Togo, Uganda, and Zimbabwe. Two specific aims flow from this objective: Aim 1: Population Estimates of Sterility: To determine the magnitude ..
- AFrica Focus on Intervention Research for Mental health (AFFIRM)Ezra S Susser; Fiscal Year: 2013..on Intervention Research for Mental health (AFFIRM) program, in 5 African countries: South Africa, Ghana, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Malawi and Ethiopia, with the following four specific aims: 1) To investigate strategies for narrowing the ..
- Treatment for depression and adherence in people living with HIV in ZimbabweDICKSON CHIBANDA; Fiscal Year: 2013..applicant): Treatment to improve depression and adherence to antiretroviral therapy in people living with HIV in Zimbabwe (TENDAI) Among the Zimbabwe adult population, 350,000 are currently eligible for ART, a figure rising to 500,000 ..
- Impact of HIV-1 Fitness on Disease ProgressionEric J Arts; Fiscal Year: 2013..Based on our ten year Uganda/Zimbabwe (Ug/Zim) natural HIV-1 history cohort study involving 270 women (>10,000 data/sample points), CD4 cell ..
- Malaria Transmission and the Impact of Control Efforts in Southern AfricaPeter C Agre; Fiscal Year: 2013..site will be at the Biomedical Research Training Institute (BRTI) in Mutasa District in Manicaland Province, Zimbabwe. This region was under an effective malaria control program for about 50 years but the program was terminated in ..
- Linked: Novel Education Clinical Trainees and Researchers (NETAR) programJames Gita Hakim; Fiscal Year: 2013..applicant): This application will establish the 'Improving Mental Health Education and Research Capacity in Zimbabwe (IMHERZ) program at University of Zimbabwe College of Health Sciences (UZ-CHS)...
- Global Institutions and the Politics of International DisabilityRAYMOND PAUL LANG; Fiscal Year: 2013..Drawing upon original research conducted by the author in Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Malawi, Swaziland and Namibia, between 2007-2009, this book will argue that disability needs to be ..
- UZ-UCSF Clinical Trials UnitZvavahera Mike Chirenje; Fiscal Year: 2013The goal of the University of Zimbabwe-University of California San Francisco Clinical Trials Unit (UZ-UCSF CTU) is to provide scientific leadership, a well organized and efficient research-support infrastructure, and even high-capacity ..
- Community-Based VCT: ThailandDavid D Celentano; Fiscal Year: 2010This is a Phase III, community-level, randomized controlled study, in which 48 communities (10 in Tanzania, 8 in Zimbabwe, 8 in South Africa-Soweto, 8 in South Africa-Vulindlela, and 14 in Thailand) were randomized to receive either a ..
- UZ-UCSF Clinical Trials UnitZvavahera Mike Chirenje; Fiscal Year: 2011The goal of the University of Zimbabwe-University of California San Francisco Clinical Trials Unit (UZ-UCSF CTU) is to provide scientific leadership, a well organized and efficient research-support infrastructure, and even high-capacity ..
- Developing Comprehensive Research Support Services of College of Health SciencesExnevia Gomo; Fiscal Year: 2013Project Summary Research is an indispensible part of academia and scholarship for the University of Zimbabwe College of Health Sciences (UZCHS)...
- Shared Distributed Learning for Developing Medical Informatics Capacity in AfricaMaurice Mars; Fiscal Year: 2013..Pan African collaborative initiative in which participating institutions in Mozambique, Uganda, South Africa and Zimbabwe will co-operate and work together...
- Community-Based HIV VCT: South AfricaThomas J Coates; Fiscal Year: 2010This is a Phase III, community-level, randomized controlled study, in which 48 communities (10 in Tanzania, 8 in Zimbabwe, 8 in South Africa-Soweto, 8 in South Africa-Vulindlela, and 14 in Thailand) were randomized to receive either a ..
- Tracking Risk Compensation Over Time in a National MC Roll-Out in ZimbabweDaniel E Montano; Fiscal Year: 2013..Since Zimbabwe is currently implementing an MC program as part of its national HIV prevention strategy, this is the ideal time ..
- Malaria Training and Research Capacity Building in Southern AfricaNirbhay Kumar; Fiscal Year: 2012..The proposed program builds upon our previous success with the Malaria Research and Training Program in Zimbabwe. We propose to continue to strengthen our current trainees (two PhD) while extending malaria research and ..
- Can Church Schools Reduce Risk of HIV Infection for Orphan Girls in Zimbabwe?Denise Dion Hallfors; Fiscal Year: 2012..only control group for one additional survey data point, adding HIV and HSV-2 biomarker data;2) Using the 2011 Zimbabwe Demographic and Health Survey data to form two external comparison groups (orphan and non-orphan rural girls of ..
- Cryptococcus traversal of Brain Endothelial cellsKwang Kim; Fiscal Year: 2007..neoformans is the most common cause of culture-positive meningitis (e.g., Zimbabwe, Malawi, and Cambodia). C. neoformans is commonly acquired by inhalation...
- UZ-UCSF Collaborative Research ProgramSuellen Miller; Fiscal Year: 2010..trials in HIV prevention and treatment that are carried out at 6 clinic research sites in Harare and Chitungwiza, Zimbabwe. Every year for the past 10 years the CTU conducts a two day annual research conference in Harare to provide a ..
- Antiretroviral Pharmacology Training in Resource Poor CountriesGene D Morse; Fiscal Year: 2013..with an emphasis on HIV/AIDS clinical pharmacology between the University at Buffalo (UB) and the University of Zimbabwe (UZ)...
- Linked: Novel Education Clincial Trainees and Researchers (NECTAR) programJames Gita Hakim; Fiscal Year: 2013..students in the face of declining public health funding have made it increasingly difficult for the University of Zimbabwe College of Health Sciences (UZCHS) to meet the healthcare training needs of Zimbabwe...
- International Program for Mining Health and SafetyJefferey Burgess; Fiscal Year: 2006..They account for 80% of foreign exports in Zambia and 45% in Zimbabwe. Mining is also one of the most dangerous professions...
- Annual American Society for Rickettsiology (ASR) WorkshopULRIKE GERTRUD MUNDERLOH; Fiscal Year: 2013..who are members of the American Society for Rickettsiology (ASR) is represented in countries from Australia to Zimbabwe, including, of course, the USA and Europe...
- Programmatic: Novel Education Clinical Trainees and Researchers (NECTAR) ProgramJames Gita Hakim; Fiscal Year: 2013..Award will establish the Novel Education Clinical Trainees and Researchers (NECTAR) program at the University of Zimbabwe College of Health Sciences (UZCHS). UZCHS is the centre of medical research and education for Zimbabwe...
- African Training Program for Research in AIDS &TBPETER ROBERT MASON; Fiscal Year: 2013..Program for research in AIDS and TB has three major goals: 7 Support for postgraduate students at universities in Zimbabwe to complete degrees in health sciences at Master's and Doctoral level...
- Statistical Methods to Study the Impact of HIV InterventionsNicholas P Jewell; Fiscal Year: 2012..We will apply these methods to data from a randomized controlled trial of diaphragm use in Zimbabwe and South Africa to estimate the effect of diaphragms on HIV transmission, controlling for the unintended effect ..
- HIV-related oral diseases among women in HarareJohn Greenspan; Fiscal Year: 2004..and Research Program" Fogarty grant (2D43 TW00003-11; PI: Art Reingold; UCSF PI for the oral component in Zimbabwe: Caroline Shiboski) is conducting a cross-sectional study among HIV-infected and non-infected women in Zimbabwe ..
- NIMH Collaborative HIV/STD Prevention Trial (Russia)ANTON SOMLAI; Fiscal Year: 2006..is a two-arm randomized, community-level trial being conducted in five countries--China, India, Peru, Russia, and Zimbabwe. It is the first international test of a community-level prevention program and is based on the theory of ..
- Randomized trial of HIV / STD prevention in Zimbabwean youthFrances Cowan; Fiscal Year: 2006..The trial is going extremely well however the difficult economic and political climate in Zimbabwe has affected the cost of running the study both because the cost of implementation as originally outlined is more ..
- Genetics of TB: Cytokine Response and IronLeslie Louie; Fiscal Year: 2002..HIV infection is a major predisposing factor in TB and is epidemic in Zimbabwe. Iron overload has also been documented in Zimbabwe and evidence exists that iron plays a role in host response ..
- Economic Opportunity for Zimbabwean Adolescent OrphansPhilip Darney; Fiscal Year: 2007..prevents the adverse consequences of unprotected sex among out-of-school female orphans aged 16-19 in Zimbabwe. The intervention, which builds on our recently completed study that assessed the feasibility of such a program, ..
- Acylovir to prevent HIV acquisition in HSV-2+personsConnie Celum; Fiscal Year: 2004..two groups with high rates of HSV-2 prevalence and high risk of incident HIV: heterosexual women in Zambia and Zimbabwe and men who have sex with men (MSM) in the U.S. and Peru...
- Acyclovir to Prevent HIV Acquisition in HSV-2+ PersonsConnie Celum; Fiscal Year: 2007..suppression among HSV-2+ persons at high risk of HIV was initiated in 2001 among heterosexual women in Zambia, Zimbabwe, and South Africa and men who have sex with men (MSM) in the U.S. and Peru...
- VERTICAL TRANSMISSION OF SUBTYPE C HIV IN ZIMBABWEDavid Katzenstein; Fiscal Year: 2001..In studies in Zimbabwe 363 HIV seropositive pregnant women will receive peripartum treatment with either zidovudine (200) or single dose ..
- Etiology of mastitis in HIV-1 infected womenLisa Frenkel; Fiscal Year: 2006..to breast milk and blood HIV-1 RNA and DNA, and to breast milk inflammatory cells in HIV-1 infected women in Zimbabwe. [unreadable] [unreadable] 2...
- Child Sexual Abuse in Zambia:Epidemiology and PreventionMichelle Amaya; Fiscal Year: 2005..In neighboring Zimbabwe, 8% of CSA victims <=12 years of age have HIV...
- A Randomized Trial of HIV Prevention in Harare BeerhallsKatherine Fritz; Fiscal Year: 2006..community-level trial of a behavioral HIV prevention program tailored for men who patronize beerhalls in Harare, Zimbabwe. The broad, long-term objective of the study is to measure the efficacy of the intervention in reducing men'..
- NIMH Collaboration HIV/STD Intervention Trial in ChinaMARY ROTHERAM BORUS; Fiscal Year: 2007..is a two-arm randomized, community-level trial being conducted in five countries: China, India, Peru, Russia, and Zimbabwe. It is the first international test of a community-level prevention program based on the theory of diffusion of ..
- Psychosocial Support to HIV/AIDS Affected Children in ZimbabweDanuta Kasprzyk; Fiscal Year: 2009..3 million children orphaned by AIDS, is one of the worst hit regions in the world. In Zimbabwe, the number of orphans could reportedly rise to 1.4 million in the next 5 years...
- HUMAN HERPESVIRUS 8 INFECTION IN ZIMBABWEThomas Campbell; Fiscal Year: 2001..acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) worldwide, and is the most prevalent cancer in all persons living in Zimbabwe. The occurrence of KS in persons with, and without AIDS has been linked to infection with the recently discovered ..
- THE ZIMBABWE-SAN FRANCISCO HIV PREVENTION TRIALS UNITTsungai Chipato; Fiscal Year: 2006This proposal represents a collaboration between the University of Zimbabwe-UCSF Women's Health Programme in Harare, Zimbabwe (led by Dr. Nancy Padian at UCSF), and the Zimbabwe AIDS Prevention Program (ZAPP, led by Dr...
- STATISTICAL METHODS IN AIDS RESEARCHRonald Brookmeyer; Fiscal Year: 2001..The work under specific aim 2 will be applied to studies in Haiti and Zimbabwe. The third specific aim concerns the development of statistical methods for the analysis of recurrent events such ..
- HIV RISK REDUCTION THROUGH HSV-2 PREVENTION WITH N-9Nancy Padian; Fiscal Year: 2002..prospective cohort study of 1200 HIV uninfected women attending the Spilhaus family planning clinic in Harare, Zimbabwe. Baseline clinical, microbiologic, and laboratory data, including HIV and HSV-2 serologic tests will be obtained...
- African Programe for Training in HIV/TB ResearchDavid Katzenstein; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed ICOHRTA collaboration between the Biomedical and Research Training Institute (BRTI), University of Zimbabwe (UZ) and Stanford University will provide clinical, laboratory, epidemiological, statistical and operational ..
- TRADITONAL HEALING CARE IN HIV/AIDS IN RURAL ZIMBABWETONYA TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2000..Given that traditional healers provide the majority of care and treatment for HIV infection in rural Zimbabwe, how they represent HIV within therapeutic consultations directly affects personal meanings and interpretations ..
- Enhancing Capacity in HIV Prevention Implementation Research at Africa UniversityPETER ROBERT MASON; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): This application is proposing HIV research training for Africa University, Zimbabwe on the scientific topic: Implementation Research on Combination HIV Prevention...
- Zimbabwe: Community Intervention to Reduce HIV/STD RiskDanuta Kasprzyk; Fiscal Year: 2006..a two-arm randomized, community-level trial being conducted in five countries -- China, India, Peru, Russia, and Zimbabwe. It is the first international test of a community-level prevention program based on the theory of diffusion of ..
- PHARMACEUTICALS FROM ZIMBABWEAN TRADITIONAL MEDICINEEPHRAIM GWEBU; Fiscal Year: 1999..which already have a history of applications in the traditional medicine of the Ndebele people from Matabeleland, Zimbabwe. We will concentrate on plants which show promise for anti-infective activity (i.e...
- HIV-1 p24 based viral load assay in breast milk & serumANDRZEJ DRUKIER; Fiscal Year: 2002..Clade C p24 and used for measuring (a) VL from breast milk and plasma from treated and untreated African women in Zimbabwe (a HIVNET 023 Study) and Zambia (pending study) (b) for the early detection of very low viral copies in infants ..
- GENETIC ASSESSMENT OF S HAEMATOBIUM INDUCED PATHOLOGYClive Shiff; Fiscal Year: 1999..In a collaborative study with colleagues from the Blair Research Institute in Zimbabwe we have the opportunity to obtain preliminary data to examine genetic diversity of S...
- NIMH COLLABORATIVE HIV/STD PREVENTION TRIALThomas Coates; Fiscal Year: 2006..is a two-arm randomized, community-level trial being conducted in five countries--China, India, Peru, Russia, and Zimbabwe. It is the first international test of a community-level prevention program based on the theory of diffusion of ..
- POLYMORPHISM/DIVERGENCE IN DROSOPHILA PATHOGEN DEFENSESAndrew Clark; Fiscal Year: 2002..alleles will be sampled from each of three populations, one from North American, one from Europe, and Zimbabwe, Africa. (The latter population is partly reproductively isolated from cosmopolitan populations...
- SOUTHERN AFRICA-NEW YORK HIV VACCINE TRIALS UNITGlenda Gray; Fiscal Year: 2004South Africa and Zimbabwe are experiencing explosive HIV epidemics while New York is among the few places in the USA where the HIV epidemic continues to grow...