Genomes and Genes
Summary: Retrovirus-associated DNA sequences (fos) originally isolated from the Finkel-Biskis-Jinkins (FBJ-MSV) and Finkel-Biskis-Reilly (FBR-MSV) murine sarcoma viruses. The proto-oncogene protein c-fos codes for a nuclear protein which is involved in growth-related transcriptional control. The insertion of c-fos into FBJ-MSV or FBR-MSV induces osteogenic sarcomas in mice. The human c-fos gene is located at 14q21-31 on the long arm of chromosome 14.
- Inoue E, Hanai M, Yamada K, Esashi T, Yamauchi J. Transcriptional coactivator p300/CBP-associated factor and p300/CBP-associated factor type B are required for normal estrogen response of the mouse uterus. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2004;68:2209-11 pubmed..These observations suggest that PCAF and PCAF-B are required for estrogen-dependent normal growth of the uterus via estrogen receptor-mediated transcriptional regulations. ..
- Borlak J, Meier T, Halter R, Spanel R, Spanel Borowski K. Epidermal growth factor-induced hepatocellular carcinoma: gene expression profiles in precursor lesions, early stage and solitary tumours. Oncogene. 2005;24:1809-19 pubmed..Our study provided new information on the tumour stage-dependent network of EGF-regulated genes, and we identified candidate genes linked to tumorigenes and progression of disease. ..
- Seki S, Erickson K, Seki M, Nishizawa O, Igawa Y, Ogawa T, et al. Elimination of rat spinal neurons expressing neurokinin 1 receptors reduces bladder overactivity and spinal c-fos expression induced by bladder irritation. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2005;288:F466-73 pubmed..Toxin-induced damage of NK1R-expressing neurons in the lumbosacral spinal cord may provide an effective modality for treating overactivity and/or nociceptive responses in the bladder without affecting normal micturition. ..
- Hait N, Allegood J, Maceyka M, STRUB G, Harikumar K, Singh S, et al. Regulation of histone acetylation in the nucleus by sphingosine-1-phosphate. Science. 2009;325:1254-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, HDACs are direct intracellular targets of S1P and link nuclear S1P to epigenetic regulation of gene expression. ..
- Abdelli S, Ansite J, Roduit R, Borsello T, Matsumoto I, Sawada T, et al. Intracellular stress signaling pathways activated during human islet preparation and following acute cytokine exposure. Diabetes. 2004;53:2815-23 pubmed..Therefore, strategies might be rationally developed to avoid possible synergistic activation of these pathways in mediating islet loss during isolation and following grafting. ..
- Ohno Y, Shimizu S, Imaki J. Effects of tandospirone, a 5-HT1A agonistic anxiolytic agent, on haloperidol-induced catalepsy and forebrain Fos expression in mice. J Pharmacol Sci. 2009;109:593-9 pubmed
- Shirvalkar P, Seth M, Schiff N, Herrera D. Cognitive enhancement with central thalamic electrical stimulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:17007-12 pubmed..Taken together, these studies indicate that electrical stimulation of the central thalamus may enhance cognitive performance through neocortical and hippocampal neuronal activation and specific regulation of gene expression. ..
- Zhang L, Li X, Zhao M, He P, Yu W, Dong J, et al. Antisense oligonucleotide targeting c-fos mRNA limits retinal pigment epithelial cell proliferation: a key step in the progression of proliferative vitreoretinopathy. Exp Eye Res. 2006;83:1405-11 pubmed..These findings establish a rationale for investigating the potential use of a c-fos-AS-ON as a novel therapeutical tool in the treatment of PVR. ..
- Durchdewald M, Guinea Viniegra J, Haag D, Riehl A, Lichter P, Hahn M, et al. Podoplanin is a novel fos target gene in skin carcinogenesis. Cancer Res. 2008;68:6877-83 pubmed publisher..Systematic analysis of these novel target genes will guide us in elucidating the molecular mechanisms of AP-1-regulated pathways that are critically implicated in neoplastic transformation and/or malignant progression. ..
- Marchese G, Sanna A, Casu G, Casti P, Spada G, Ruiu S, et al. Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol differently affects striatal c-Fos expression following haloperidol or clozapine administration. Eur J Pharmacol. 2008;598:16-20 pubmed publisher..The present results indicate that the behavioral effects induced by delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol in haloperidol- and clozapine-treated rats are associated with different striatal c-Fos expressions. ..
- Martel G, Nishi A, Shumyatsky G. Stathmin reveals dissociable roles of the basolateral amygdala in parental and social behaviors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:14620-5 pubmed publisher..The findings implicate stathmin as the critical molecular component linking the BLA-associated neural circuitry with innate parental behaviors and adult social interactions. ..
- Takaoki M, Murakami N, Gyotoku J. C-fos expression of osteoblast-like MC3T3-E1 cells induced either by cooling or by fluid flow. Biol Sci Space. 2004;18:181-2 pubmed..It was suggested that bone and kidney cells might share certain similarity in flow detection mechanisms. ..
- Wise P, Dubal D, Rau S, Brown C, Suzuki S. Are estrogens protective or risk factors in brain injury and neurodegeneration? Reevaluation after the Women's health initiative. Endocr Rev. 2005;26:308-12 pubmed..Together, these results carry broad implications for the selective targeting of estrogen receptors in the treatment of neurodegenerative conditions resulting from disease or injury, particularly for aging, postmenopausal women. ..
- de Jong T, Pattij T, Veening J, Dederen P, Waldinger M, Cools A, et al. Citalopram combined with WAY 100635 inhibits ejaculation and ejaculation-related Fos immunoreactivity. Eur J Pharmacol. 2005;509:49-59 pubmed..Citalopram reduced Fos-immunoreactivity in the arcuate hypothalamic nucleus, an area that might link serotonergic neurotransmission to ejaculation. ..
- Rinaman L. Hindbrain contributions to anorexia. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2004;287:R1035-6 pubmed
- Sehra S, Patel D, Kusam S, Wang Z, Chang C, Dent A. A role for caspases in controlling IL-4 expression in T cells. J Immunol. 2005;174:3440-6 pubmed..These findings reveal a novel regulatory mechanism of cytokine expression by caspases, and may explain how signaling pathways that inhibit apoptosis tend to promote Th2 differentiation. ..
- Ozanne B, Spence H, McGarry L, Hennigan R. Invasion is a genetic program regulated by transcription factors. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2006;16:65-70 pubmed..Differentially expressed genes cooperatively enhance pseudopod elongation during the mesenchymal mode of invasion by altering the function, localisation and activity of non-differentially expressed proteins. ..
- Yano M, Steiner H. Topography of methylphenidate (ritalin)-induced gene regulation in the striatum: differential effects on c-fos, substance P and opioid peptides. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2005;30:901-15 pubmed..These molecular changes are similar, but not identical, to those produced by other psychostimulants. ..
- Wang T, Yuan W, Ke Q, Song X, Zhou X, Kang Y, et al. Effects of electro-acupuncture on the expression of c-jun and c-fos in spared dorsal root ganglion and associated spinal laminae following removal of adjacent dorsal root ganglia in cats. Neuroscience. 2006;140:1169-76 pubmed publisher..These findings suggested that c-jun and c-fos might be related to the acupuncture promoted spinal cord plasticity as reported previously...
- Li Y, Mi C, Wu Y, Yang S, Yang Z. [The effects of genistein on epidermal growth factor receptor mediated signal transduction pathway in human ovarian carcinoma cells lines SKOV3 and its xenograft in nude mice]. Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi. 2004;33:546-9 pubmed..It is suggested that interfering the expressions of some key signal molecules in EGFR mediated signal transduction system by genistein may account for its molecular foundation of proliferation inhibition in ovarian carcinoma. ..
- Wiley R, Kline R, Vierck C. Anti-nociceptive effects of selectively destroying substance P receptor-expressing dorsal horn neurons using [Sar9,Met(O2)11]-substance P-saporin: behavioral and anatomical analyses. Neuroscience. 2007;146:1333-45 pubmed..SSP-sap is an attractive agent for possible treatment of chronic pain. ..
- Gründker C, Günthert A, Hellriegel M, Emons G. Gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) agonist triptorelin inhibits estradiol-induced serum response element (SRE) activation and c-fos expression in human endometrial, ovarian and breast cancer cells. Eur J Endocrinol. 2004;151:619-28 pubmed..This pathway is impeded by GnRH, resulting in a reduction of E2-induced SRE activation and, in consequence, a reduction of E2-induced c-fos expression. This causes downregulation of E2-induced cancer cell proliferation. ..
- Chadman K, Woods J, Stitzel J. Chlorisondamine inhibits the nicotine-induced stimulation of c-fos in the pigeon brain for up to 2 weeks. Nicotine Tob Res. 2007;9:927-36 pubmed..The time course of chlorisondamine's blockade of nicotine-induced c-fos expression is consistent with the time course of the ability of chlorisondamine to block behavioral and physiological responses to nicotine...
- Eyster K, Mark C, Gayle R, Martin D. The effects of estrogen and testosterone on gene expression in the rat mesenteric arteries. Vascul Pharmacol. 2007;47:238-47 pubmed..Aryl hydrocarbon nuclear translocator-like gene was reduced by testosterone. These data identify genes not previously known to be responsive to estrogen and testosterone in the vasculature. ..
- Kaltenberg J, Plum L, Ober Blöbaum J, Hönscheid A, Rink L, Haase H. Zinc signals promote IL-2-dependent proliferation of T cells. Eur J Immunol. 2010;40:1496-503 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, an increase of cytoplasmic free zinc is required for IL-2-induced ERK signaling and proliferation of T cells. ..
- Hosokawa N, Chiba A. Effects of sexual experience on conspecific odor preference and estrous odor-induced activation of the vomeronasal projection pathway and the nucleus accumbens in male rats. Brain Res. 2005;1066:101-8 pubmed..The activation of some of these brain regions, therefore, is probably involved in the development of the preference for estrous odor. ..
- Moro L, Perlino E, Marra E, Greco M. Hepatocyte 'priming' and increase in transforming growth factor-beta1 mRNA expression are delayed in hypothyroid versus euthyroid rats during liver regeneration. Int J Mol Med. 2006;17:1063-8 pubmed
- Dong J, Yin H, Liu W, Wang P, Jiang Y, Chen J. Congenital iodine deficiency and hypothyroidism impair LTP and decrease C-fos and C-jun expression in rat hippocampus. Neurotoxicology. 2005;26:417-26 pubmed..05 or P<0.01). In summary, iodine deficiency and hypothyroidism during critical periods of brain development impair LTP induction and decrease the expression of c-fos and c-jun proteins in hippocampus. ..
- Lin S, Kok S, Shun C, Hong C, Wang C, Hsu M, et al. Tumor necrosis factor-alpha stimulates the expression of C-C chemokine ligand 2 gene in fibroblasts from the human nasal polyp through the pathways of mitogen-activated protein kinase. Am J Rhinol. 2007;21:251-5 pubmed..TNF-alpha induces CCL2 transcription in NPFs. B-Raf/MEK/ERK signaling cascade and to a less extent the p38 pathway are responsible for c-Fos activation and the subsequent AP-1/DNA interaction leading to CCL2 expression. ..
- Espinosa A, Leiva A, Peña M, Müller M, Debandi A, Hidalgo C, et al. Myotube depolarization generates reactive oxygen species through NAD(P)H oxidase; ROS-elicited Ca2+ stimulates ERK, CREB, early genes. J Cell Physiol. 2006;209:379-88 pubmed..Activity-dependent ROS generation is likely to be involved in regulation of calcium-controlled intracellular signaling pathways in muscle cells. ..
- Shi L, Mao C, Thornton S, Sun W, Wu J, Yao J, et al. Effects of intracerebroventricular losartan on angiotensin II-mediated pressor responses and c-fos expression in near-term ovine fetus. J Comp Neurol. 2005;493:571-9 pubmed..c.v. losartan at a high and a low dose has strikingly different effects on central ANG II-induced pressor responses in fetuses at late gestation, and that the AT1 mechanism plays an important role in fetal cardiovascular regulation. ..
- Mohammadi S, Pavlik A, Krajci D, Al Sarraf H. NMDA preconditioning and neuroprotection in vivo: delayed onset of kainic acid-induced neurodegeneration and c-Fos attenuation in CA3a neurons. Brain Res. 2009;1256:162-72 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, inhibition of c-Fos expression and onset of neuronal damage in CA3a following icv KA injection might be transiently delayed by i.c.v. NMDA preconditioning. ..
- Caprioli D, Celentano M, Paolone G, Badiani A. Modeling the role of environment in addiction. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2007;31:1639-53 pubmed..We have focused in particular on the results obtained using an animal model we have developed to study the latter type of drug-environment interaction. ..
- Rodríguez Alarcón G, Canales J, Salvador A. Rewarding effects of 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine ("Ecstasy") in dominant and subordinate OF-1 mice in the place preference conditioning paradigm. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2007;31:191-9 pubmed
- Ebner K, Muigg P, Singewald G, Singewald N. Substance P in stress and anxiety: NK-1 receptor antagonism interacts with key brain areas of the stress circuitry. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2008;1144:61-73 pubmed publisher..These findings support the idea that a stress-sensitive subset of the human psychiatric patients may particularly benefit from a pharmacological approach that interferes with SP transmission. ..
- Huet A, Parlakian A, Arnaud M, Glandières J, Valat P, Fermandjian S, et al. Mechanism of binding of serum response factor to serum response element. FEBS J. 2005;272:3105-19 pubmed..These results indicated that the flexibility of the two partners is crucial for the DNA-protein interaction. ..
- Segura B, Zhang W, Xiao L, Logsdon C, Mulholland M. Sphingosine-1-phosphate induces early response gene expression in C6 glioma cells. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2005;133:325-8 pubmed..420+/-44%). RT-PCR analysis and sequencing demonstrated the presence of previously unidentified LPA-responsive Endothelial Differentiation Gene (EDG) receptor mRNAs in C6 cells: EDG-2 and EDG-4. ..
- Radwanska K, Wrobel E, Korkosz A, Rogowski A, Kostowski W, Bienkowski P, et al. Alcohol relapse induced by discrete cues activates components of AP-1 transcription factor and ERK pathway in the rat basolateral and central amygdala. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2008;33:1835-46 pubmed..Our observations suggest that the basolateral and central amygdala may be specifically involved in alcohol-seeking behavior induced by discrete cues. ..
- Turgeon S, Lin T, Subramanian M. Subchronic phencyclidine exposure potentiates the behavioral and c-Fos response to stressful stimuli in rats. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2007;88:73-81 pubmed..In addition, the observation that PCP pretreatment increased striatal FLI induced by forced swim but not novelty suggest that PCP alters the behavioral responses to these stressors via different neurochemical mechanisms. ..
- Ding L, Xu J, Luo X, Chegini N. Gonadotropin releasing hormone and transforming growth factor beta activate mitogen-activated protein kinase/extracellularly regulated kinase and differentially regulate fibronectin, type I collagen, and plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 expression i. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004;89:5549-57 pubmed
- Iyer D, Chang D, Marx J, Wei L, Olson E, Parmacek M, et al. Serum response factor MADS box serine-162 phosphorylation switches proliferation and myogenic gene programs. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:4516-21 pubmed..Hence, the phosphorylation status of serine-162 in the alphaI coil may constitute a novel switch that directs target gene expression into proliferation or differentiation programs. ..
- Dominguez J, Balfour M, Lee H, Brown J, Davis B, Coolen L. Mating activates NMDA receptors in the medial preoptic area of male rats. Behav Neurosci. 2007;121:1023-31 pubmed..These results provide evidence that mating activates NMDA receptors in the MPOA and that this activation is important for the expression of male sexual behavior. ..
- Radulovic J, Tronson N. Protein synthesis inhibitors, gene superinduction and memory: too little or too much protein?. Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2008;89:212-8 pubmed..This mechanistic alternative to protein synthesis inhibition is compared to models of electroconvulsive seizures and fragilexsyndrome associated with enhanced mRNA/protein levels and cognitive deficits. ..
- Kovacs Z, Puskas L, Nyitrai G, Papp E, Császár I, Juhasz G, et al. Suppression of spike-wave discharge activity and c-fos expression by 2-methyl-4-oxo-3H-quinazoline-3-acetyl piperidine (Q5) in vivo. Neurosci Lett. 2007;423:73-7 pubmed..Thus, our in vivo results demonstrate that in addition to the prevention of absence seizures, Q5 effectively suppresses neuronal activation in various stress- and pain-sensitive brain areas. ..
- Roze E, Betuing S, Deyts C, Marcon E, Brami Cherrier K, Pages C, et al. Mitogen- and stress-activated protein kinase-1 deficiency is involved in expanded-huntingtin-induced transcriptional dysregulation and striatal death. FASEB J. 2008;22:1083-93 pubmed..We propose that MSK-1 deficiency is involved in transcriptional dysregulation and striatal degeneration. Restoration of its expression and activity may be a new therapeutic target in HD. ..
- Salingre A, Klosen P, Pevet P, Simonneaux V. Daytime gating in the Syrian hamster pineal gland. J Neuroendocrinol. 2009;21:760-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that the diurnal gating of pineal activity in the Syrian hamster is not caused by the repressor ICER and that it may occur at the level of noradrenergic receptor signalling. ..
- González Cuello A, Milanes M, Laorden M. Increase of tyrosine hydroxylase levels and activity during morphine withdrawal in the heart. Eur J Pharmacol. 2004;506:119-28 pubmed..Our results suggest that an increase in tyrosine hydroxylase protein levels and tyrosine hydroxylase enzyme activity might contribute to the enhanced noradrenergic activity in the heart in response to morphine withdrawal. ..
- Ishido M, Masuo Y. Transcriptome of pituitary adenylate cyclase-activating polypeptide-differentiated PC12 cells. Regul Pept. 2004;123:15-21 pubmed..Thus, in this study the transcriptome of PACAP-differentiated PC12 was established, leading to the elucidation of the molecular mechanism of neuritogenesis by the neuropeptide. ..