Genomes and Genes
Summary: Genes that determine the fate of a cell or CELLS in a region of the embryo during EMBRYONIC DEVELOPMENT.
- Simon M, Xu A, Ishikawa H, Irvine K. Modulation of fat:dachsous binding by the cadherin domain kinase four-jointed. Curr Biol. 2010;20:811-7 pubmed publisher..Our results define a molecular mechanism by which a morphogen gradient can drive the polarization of Fat activity to influence PCP and growth. ..
- Jovelin R, Dunham J, Sung F, Phillips P. High nucleotide divergence in developmental regulatory genes contrasts with the structural elements of olfactory pathways in caenorhabditis. Genetics. 2009;181:1387-97 pubmed publisher..These results show that, contrary to the emerging paradigm in the evolution of development, important structural changes can accumulate in transcription factors. ..
- Xie Y, Li F, Wang B, Li S, Wang D, Jiang H, et al. Screening of genes related to ovary development in Chinese shrimp Fenneropenaeus chinensis by suppression subtractive hybridization. Comp Biochem Physiol Part D Genomics Proteomics. 2010;5:98-104 pubmed publisher..The differential expressions of the above genes are suggested to be related to the ovary development of shrimp. It will provide a new clue to uncover the molecular mechanisms underlying the ovarian development in penaeid shrimp. ..
- Holland L. Chordate roots of the vertebrate nervous system: expanding the molecular toolkit. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2009;10:736-46 pubmed publisher..Recent advances in genomics have provided insights into the elaboration of the molecular toolkit at the invertebrate-vertebrate transition that may have facilitated the evolution of these vertebrate characteristics. ..
- Alatzoglou K, Dattani M. Genetic forms of hypopituitarism and their manifestation in the neonatal period. Early Hum Dev. 2009;85:705-12 pubmed publisher..Their characterization will further elucidate the pathogenesis of this complex condition and will shed light on normal pituitary development. ..
- Franchini A, Casarini L, Malagoli D, Ottaviani E. Expression of the genes siamois, engrailed-2, bmp4 and myf5 during Xenopus development in presence of the marine toxins okadaic acid and palytoxin. Chemosphere. 2009;77:308-12 pubmed publisher..The results show that PTX induces an increase in expression levels in all tested genes, while the response to OA seems to be more stage-dependent, with the embryonic development stage more sensitive to the toxin than the larval stages...
- Pitsouli C, Perrimon N. Embryonic multipotent progenitors remodel the Drosophila airways during metamorphosis. Development. 2010;137:3615-24 pubmed publisher..Our study establishes the series of events that lead to the formation of an adult tubular structure in Drosophila. ..
- Lal K, Delves M, Bromley E, Wastling J, Tomley F, Sinden R. Plasmodium male development gene-1 (mdv-1) is important for female sexual development and identifies a polarised plasma membrane during zygote development. Int J Parasitol. 2009;39:755-61 pubmed publisher..In the fully developed ookinete MDV-1 is localised to the posterior pole. In vivo, the knock-out parasites demonstrate a phenotype in which there is a 90% reduction of parasite transmission to oocysts in mosquitoes. ..
- Mukhi S, Cai L, Brown D. Gene switching at Xenopus laevis metamorphosis. Dev Biol. 2010;338:117-26 pubmed publisher..Red cell switching is the only one of these remodeling strategies that resembles a stem cell mechanism. ..
- Offen N, Meyer A, Begemann G. Identification of novel genes involved in the development of the sword and gonopodium in swordtail fish. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1674-87 pubmed publisher..We show that some of these genes follow distinct expression profiles in swords and gonopodia, suggesting differences in the genetic networks underlying the development of anal and caudal fin modifications...
- Ciccone D, Su H, Hevi S, Gay F, Lei H, Bajko J, et al. KDM1B is a histone H3K4 demethylase required to establish maternal genomic imprints. Nature. 2009;461:415-8 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that demethylation of H3K4 is critical for establishing the DNA methylation imprints during oogenesis. ..
- Zheng P, Griswold M, Hassold T, Hunt P, Small C, Ye P. Predicting meiotic pathways in human fetal oogenesis. Biol Reprod. 2010;82:543-51 pubmed publisher..This global functional network provides a much-needed framework for exploring gene functions and pathway components in early human female meiosis that are difficult to tackle by traditional in vivo mammalian genetics. ..
- Hayashi K, Ushizawa K, Hosoe M, Takahashi T. Differential genome-wide gene expression profiling of bovine largest and second-largest follicles: identification of genes associated with growth of dominant follicles. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2010;8:11 pubmed publisher..Expression of stage-specific genes in follicles may be closely associated with their growth or atresia. Several genes identified in this study will provide intriguing candidates for the determination of follicular growth. ..
- Hawkins R, Hon G, Lee L, Ngo Q, Lister R, Pelizzola M, et al. Distinct epigenomic landscapes of pluripotent and lineage-committed human cells. Cell Stem Cell. 2010;6:479-91 pubmed publisher..Our results provide new insights into epigenetic mechanisms underlying properties of pluripotency and cell fate commitment. ..
- Pei D, Sun Y, Zhu Z. Identification of a novel gene K23 over-expressed in fish cross-subfamily cloned embryos. Mol Biol Rep. 2009;36:1375-80 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings indicate that K23 gene is a novel gene differentially expressed in fish cross-subfamily cloned embryos. ..
- McIlroy M, McCartan D, Early S, O Gaora P, Pennington S, Hill A, et al. Interaction of developmental transcription factor HOXC11 with steroid receptor coactivator SRC-1 mediates resistance to endocrine therapy in breast cancer [corrected]. Cancer Res. 2010;70:1585-94 pubmed publisher..3; P = 0.004). Our findings define a biomolecular interaction network that drives an adaptive response to endocrine therapy with negative consequences for survival in breast cancer. ..
- Lacombe D. [Development genes encoding transcription factors and dysmorphology]. Bull Acad Natl Med. 2009;193:931-43; discussion 944-5 pubmed..Many encode transcription factors that regulate other genes during embryonic development. ..
- Lanier J, Dykes I, Nissen S, Eng S, Turner E. Brn3a regulates the transition from neurogenesis to terminal differentiation and represses non-neural gene expression in the trigeminal ganglion. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:3065-79 pubmed publisher..These results underscore the importance of gene repression in regulating neuronal development, and the need for unbiased screens in the determination of developmental gene regulatory programs. ..
- Bresson E, Seaborn T, Cote M, Cormier G, Provost P, Piedboeuf B, et al. Gene expression profile of androgen modulated genes in the murine fetal developing lung. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2010;8:2 pubmed publisher..In addition, this study provides a list of genes which are under the control of androgens within the lung at the moment of surge of surfactant production in murine fetal lung. ..
- Maron J, Johnson K, Rocke D, Cohen M, Liley A, Bianchi D. Neonatal salivary analysis reveals global developmental gene expression changes in the premature infant. Clin Chem. 2010;56:409-16 pubmed publisher..was to determine if salivary genomic analysis provides novel information about neonatal expression of developmental genes. Saliva (50-200 microL) was prospectively collected from 5 premature infants at 5 time points: before, ..
- Chen J, Wiley A, Ho T, Frankshun A, Hord K, Bartol F, et al. Transient estrogen exposure from birth affects uterine expression of developmental markers in neonatal gilts with lasting consequences in pregnant adults. Reproduction. 2010;139:623-30 pubmed publisher..Results support the hypothesis that transient, estrogen-induced disruption of porcine uterine development from birth alters early programming events that lead to functional consequences in the adult. ..
- Davis S, Castinetti F, Carvalho L, Ellsworth B, Potok M, Lyons R, et al. Molecular mechanisms of pituitary organogenesis: In search of novel regulatory genes. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2010;323:4-19 pubmed publisher..We identified numerous transcription factors that are members of gene families with roles in syndromic or non-syndromic pituitary hormone deficiency. This collection is a rich source for future basic and clinical studies. ..
- Oka T, Xu J, Molkentin J. Re-employment of developmental transcription factors in adult heart disease. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2007;18:117-31 pubmed..This review will discuss the transcription factors that regulate the hypertrophic growth response of the adult heart, with a special emphasis on those regulators that participate in cardiac development. ..
- Chatterjee S, Kraus P, Lufkin T. A symphony of inner ear developmental control genes. BMC Genet. 2010;11:68 pubmed publisher..Some Micro RNAs have also been recently identified which play a crucial role in the inner ear formation. ..
- Pernas M, Ryan E, Dolan L. SCHIZORIZA controls tissue system complexity in plants. Curr Biol. 2010;20:818-23 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals a new function for a member of the heat-shock transcription factor family in stem cell development and provides a molecular framework to understand stem cell formation during embryogenesis...
- Dallas S, Bonewald L. Dynamics of the transition from osteoblast to osteocyte. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2010;1192:437-43 pubmed publisher..Changes in motile properties of the cell may be key in the transition from osteoblast to osteocyte, as reflected in the altered expression of many molecules involved in cytoskeletal function. ..
- Song C, Lin Q, Liang R, Wang Y. Expressions of ECE-CYC2 clade genes relating to abortion of both dorsal and ventral stamens in Opithandra (Gesneriaceae). BMC Evol Biol. 2009;9:244 pubmed publisher..l. ..
- Ewen K, Koopman P. Mouse germ cell development: from specification to sex determination. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2010;323:76-93 pubmed publisher..At this point, germ cells (GCs) commit to either a female or male sexual lineage, denoted by meiosis entry and mitotic arrest, respectively. This developmental program is determined by cues emanating from the somatic environment...