Genomes and Genes
translational protein modification
Summary: Any of the enzymatically catalyzed modifications of the individual AMINO ACIDS of PROTEINS, and enzymatic cleavage or crosslinking of peptide chains that occur pre-translationally (on the amino acid component of AMINO ACYL TRNA), co-translationally (during the process of GENETIC TRANSLATION), or after translation is completed (POST-TRANSLATIONAL PROTEIN PROCESSING).
- Johansen M, Kiemer L, Brunak S. Analysis and prediction of mammalian protein glycation. Glycobiology. 2006;16:844-53 pubmed..58, which is quite impressive given the relatively small amount of experimental data available. The method is made available at www.cbs.dtu.dk/services/NetGlycate-1.0. ..
- Hanneman A, Rosa J, Ashline D, Reinhold V. Isomer and glycomer complexities of core GlcNAcs in Caenorhabditis elegans. Glycobiology. 2006;16:874-90 pubmed..All CCM structures, including multiple isomers, were determined without chromatography by gas-phase disassembly (MS(n)) in Paul and linear ion trap (IT) instruments. ..
- Chang W, Stanford W. Translational control: a new dimension in embryonic stem cell network analysis. Cell Stem Cell. 2008;2:410-2 pubmed publisher..In this issue of Cell Stem Cell, Sampath et al. (2008) demonstrate that translation is also differentially controlled in undifferentiated versus differentiated ESCs. ..
- Matsuura A, Ito M, Sakaidani Y, Kondo T, Murakami K, Furukawa K, et al. O-linked N-acetylglucosamine is present on the extracellular domain of notch receptors. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:35486-95 pubmed publisher..Thus, the finding of O-GlcNAc modification in extracellular environments predicts a distinct glycosylation process that might be associated with a novel regulatory mechanism for Notch receptor activity. ..
- Tsai C, Duggan P, Shimp R, Miller L, Narum D. Overproduction of Pichia pastoris or Plasmodium falciparum protein disulfide isomerase affects expression, folding and O-linked glycosylation of a malaria vaccine candidate expressed in P. pastoris. J Biotechnol. 2006;121:458-70 pubmed..The overproduction of PpPDI or PfPDI provides new platforms for expression of disulfide-rich malaria proteins. ..
- Healy S, Perez Cadahia B, Jia D, McDonald M, Davie J, Gravel R. Biotin is not a natural histone modification. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1789:719-33 pubmed publisher..We conclude that biotin is absent in native histones to a sensitivity of at least one part per 100,000, suggesting that the regulatory impact of biotin on gene expression must be through alternate mechanisms. ..
- Valliere Douglass J, Eakin C, Wallace A, Ketchem R, Wang W, Treuheit M, et al. Glutamine-linked and non-consensus asparagine-linked oligosaccharides present in human recombinant antibodies define novel protein glycosylation motifs. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:16012-22 pubmed publisher..Taken together our results indicate that protein glycosylation is governed by more diversified requirements than previously appreciated. ..
- Vasur J, Kawai R, Larsson A, Igarashi K, Sandgren M, Samejima M, et al. X-ray crystallographic native sulfur SAD structure determination of laminarinase Lam16A from Phanerochaete chrysosporium. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2006;62:1422-9 pubmed..The other N-glycosylation motif was found close to the catalytic centre and is evidently not glycosylated. ..
- Hung C, Schlosser A, Wei J, Lehmann W. Collision-induced reporter fragmentations for identification of covalently modified peptides. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2007;389:1003-16 pubmed
- Sugrue R. Viruses and glycosylation: an overview. Methods Mol Biol. 2007;379:1-13 pubmed..This chapter provides an overview of some of the different ways in which viruses proteins are glycosylated, and highlights some of the generic techniques by which they can be examined. ..
- Kakizuka A, Koike M. [Protein modifications in neurodegenerative disorders]. Tanpakushitsu Kakusan Koso. 2007;52:768-73 pubmed
- Freeze H. Novel perspectives on glycosylation and human disease. Curr Mol Med. 2007;7:387 pubmed
- Lecker S, Goldberg A, Mitch W. Protein degradation by the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway in normal and disease states. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006;17:1807-19 pubmed
- Wei Y, Lee K, Gui Z, Yoon H, Kim I, Je Y, et al. N-linked glycosylation of a beetle (Apriona germari) cellulase Ag-EGase II is necessary for enzymatic activity. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2006;36:435-41 pubmed..The present study demonstrates that N-linked glycosylation at residues 99-102 (NSTF), while not essential for secretion, is required for Ag-EGase II enzyme activity. ..
- Hess D, Keusch J, Oberstein S, Hennekam R, Hofsteenge J. Peters Plus syndrome is a new congenital disorder of glycosylation and involves defective Omicron-glycosylation of thrombospondin type 1 repeats. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:7354-60 pubmed publisher..In contrast, properdin from heterozygous relatives and a healthy volunteer carried the Glc-beta1,3-Fuc-Omicron-disaccharide. These data firmly establish Peters Plus syndrome as a new congenital disorder of glycosylation. ..
- Tiefenbach J, Novac N, Ducasse M, Eck M, Melchior F, Heinzel T. SUMOylation of the corepressor N-CoR modulates its capacity to repress transcription. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:1643-51 pubmed..Mutation of K152 to R in RD1, for example, not only significantly reduced repression of a reporter gene, but also abolished the effect of Ubc9 on transcriptional repression. ..
- Kelleher D, Gilmore R. An evolving view of the eukaryotic oligosaccharyltransferase. Glycobiology. 2006;16:47R-62R pubmed..Here, we will consider the evolution and assembly of the eukaryotic OST in light of recent genomic evidence concerning the subunit composition of the enzyme in diverse eukaryotes. ..
- Ludwig T, Theissen S, Morton M, Caplan M. The cytoplasmic tail dileucine motif LL572 determines the glycosylation pattern of membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:35410-8 pubmed publisher..Here, we develop and present a model for the sequential, post-translational processing of MT1-MMP that defines stages in the post-synthetic pathway pursued by the protein. ..
- Gordon M, Caston Balderrama A, Gordon M. Abnormal prorenin processing in growth hormone deficiency. Growth Horm IGF Res. 2005;15:251-5 pubmed..GH treatment resulted in a non-significant trend towards normalizing this defect. ..
- Cano V, Jeon G, Johansson H, Henderson C, Park J, Valentini S, et al. Mutational analyses of human eIF5A-1--identification of amino acid residues critical for eIF5A activity and hypusine modification. FEBS J. 2008;275:44-58 pubmed
- Merkel L, Cheburkin Y, Wiltschi B, Budisa N. In vivo chemoenzymatic control of N-terminal processing in recombinant human epidermal growth factor. Chembiochem. 2007;8:2227-32 pubmed
- Fontana A, Spolaore B, Mero A, Veronese F. Site-specific modification and PEGylation of pharmaceutical proteins mediated by transglutaminase. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2008;60:13-28 pubmed
- Frottin F, Espagne C, Traverso J, Mauve C, Valot B, Lelarge Trouverie C, et al. Cotranslational proteolysis dominates glutathione homeostasis to support proper growth and development. Plant Cell. 2009;21:3296-314 pubmed publisher..Finally, we describe a novel integrated model in which NME, protein N-alpha-acylation, proteolysis, and glutathione homeostasis operate in a sequentially regulated mechanism that directs both growth and development. ..
- Weiner D, Khankin E, Levy Y, Reznick A. Effects of cigarette smoke borne reactive nitrogen species on salivary alpha-amylase activity and protein modifications. J Physiol Pharmacol. 2009;60 Suppl 5:127-32 pubmed..Our results indicate that although RNS are abundant in CS, a significant decrease in amylase activity is due to other components in CS, probably aldehydes, reacting with the thiol group of proteins by the Michael addition reaction...
- Toledo F, Wahl G. Regulating the p53 pathway: in vitro hypotheses, in vivo veritas. Nat Rev Cancer. 2006;6:909-23 pubmed..Importantly, MDM4 emerges as an independent target for drug development, as its inactivation is crucial for full p53 activation. ..
- Morelle W, Flahaut C, Michalski J, Louvet A, Mathurin P, Klein A. Mass spectrometric approach for screening modifications of total serum N-glycome in human diseases: application to cirrhosis. Glycobiology. 2006;16:281-93 pubmed..The study of total serum N-glycome modifications is a preliminary for the discovery of new noninvasive diagnostic or prognostic biomarkers resulting from the variations of the N-glycan metabolism during diseases. ..
- Haddad F, Baldwin K, Tesch P. Pretranslational markers of contractile protein expression in human skeletal muscle: effect of limb unloading plus resistance exercise. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2005;98:46-52 pubmed
- Drenth J, Martina J, van de Kerkhof R, Bonifacino J, Jansen J. Polycystic liver disease is a disorder of cotranslational protein processing. Trends Mol Med. 2005;11:37-42 pubmed
- Clouser C, Menon K. N-linked glycosylation facilitates processing and cell surface expression of rat luteinizing hormone receptor. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2005;235:11-9 pubmed..These results show that glycosylation of the LH receptor plays an important role in receptor processing and cell surface expression. ..
- Rajala R. How does the biological function of N-myristoylation differ from that of N-palmitoylation?. IUBMB Life. 2005;57:597-8 pubmed
- Dvorianchikov G, Serova I, Andreeva L, Dias L, Azevedo S, Serov O. [Secretion of biologically active human granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF) in milk of transgenic mice]. Genetika. 2005;41:1331-7 pubmed..G-CSF of transgenic mouse milk was shown to stimulate the formation and growth of granulocyte-containing colonies in human umbilical blood cell culture and be close or identical in physiological activity to the natural human G-CSF. ..
- Ha V, Thomas G, Stauffer S, Randazzo P. Preparation of myristoylated Arf1 and Arf6. Methods Enzymol. 2005;404:164-74 pubmed..Here, we describe methods that yield homogeneous preparations of myristoylated Arf1 and Arf6. ..
- Lundin C, Nordström R, Wagner K, Windpassinger C, Andersson H, von Heijne G, et al. Membrane topology of the human seipin protein. FEBS Lett. 2006;580:2281-4 pubmed..Our results suggest that the predominant form of seipin is 462 residues long and has an N(cyt)-C(cyt) orientation with a long luminal loop between the two transmembrane helices. ..
- Arnold J, Wormald M, Sim R, Rudd P, Dwek R. The impact of glycosylation on the biological function and structure of human immunoglobulins. Annu Rev Immunol. 2007;25:21-50 pubmed..quot; ..
- Humbard M, Stevens S, Maupin Furlow J. Posttranslational modification of the 20S proteasomal proteins of the archaeon Haloferax volcanii. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:7521-30 pubmed..These findings represent the first evidence of acetylation and phosphorylation of archaeal proteasomes and are one of the limited examples of post- and/or cotranslational modification of proteins in this unusual group of organisms. ..
- Isaji T, Sato Y, Fukuda T, Gu J. N-glycosylation of the I-like domain of beta1 integrin is essential for beta1 integrin expression and biological function: identification of the minimal N-glycosylation requirement for alpha5beta1. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:12207-16 pubmed publisher..Moreover, because the alpha5S3-5/beta1S4-6 mutant represents the minimal N-glycosylation required for functional expression of the beta1 subunit, it might also be useful for the study of molecular structures. ..
- Väänänen A, Ylipalosaari M, Parikka M, Kainulainen T, Rehn M, Heljasvaara R, et al. Collagen XVIII modulation is altered during progression of oral dysplasia and carcinoma. J Oral Pathol Med. 2007;36:35-42 pubmed..The results indicate that the absence of collagen XVIII protein in severe oral dysplasias is related to the processing of the protein rather than to changes in mRNA expression. ..
- Yashiroda H, Tanaka K. Hub1 is an essential ubiquitin-like protein without functioning as a typical modifier in fission yeast. Genes Cells. 2004;9:1189-97 pubmed..We also observed that pre-mRNA splicing was impaired in hub1-1. ..
- Elcock A. Molecular simulations of cotranslational protein folding: fragment stabilities, folding cooperativity, and trapping in the ribosome. PLoS Comput Biol. 2006;2:e98 pubmed..Taken together, these studies provide a first step toward developing more realistic methods for simulating protein folding as it occurs in vivo. ..
- Guinez C, Losfeld M, Cacan R, Michalski J, Lefebvre T. Modulation of HSP70 GlcNAc-directed lectin activity by glucose availability and utilization. Glycobiology. 2006;16:22-8 pubmed..This work also demonstrates that HSP70 does not regulate its GlcNAc-binding properties through its own O-GlcNAc glycosylation. ..
- Shozen N, Iijima I, Hohsaka T. Site-specific incorporation of PEGylated amino acids into proteins using nonnatural amino acid mutagenesis. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2009;19:4909-11 pubmed publisher..The incorporation efficiency of the PEGylated amino acids decreased with an increase in PEG chain length. The present method will be useful for preparation of proteins which are PEGylated in a site-specific and quantitative manner. ..
- Chen S, Lo S, Ma H, Li H. Expression and membrane integration of SARS-CoV E protein and its interaction with M protein. Virus Genes. 2009;38:365-71 pubmed publisher..a. 1-10 or 60-76) is dispensable as shown by co-immunoprecipitation assay. These results are important for the study of SARS-CoV assembly. ..
- Stork R, Zettlitz K, Muller D, Rether M, Hanisch F, Kontermann R. N-glycosylation as novel strategy to improve pharmacokinetic properties of bispecific single-chain diabodies. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:7804-12 pubmed publisher..Thus, N-glycosylation complements the repertoire of strategies to modulate pharmacokinetics of small recombinant antibody molecules by an approach that moderately prolongs circulation time. ..
- Foocharoen C, Nanagara R, Salang L, Suwannaroj S, Mahakkanukrauh A. Pregnancy and disease outcome in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE): a study at Srinagarind Hospital. J Med Assoc Thai. 2009;92:167-74 pubmed..Overall live-birth was 72.7%. Pregnancy lost was due to abortion and dead fetus in utero. Pregnancy outcome was worse in SLE patients who had disease flares up or emerging during pregnancy. ..
- Allmang C, Krol A. Selenoprotein synthesis: UGA does not end the story. Biochimie. 2006;88:1561-71 pubmed..Data suggest that other, so far uncharacterized factors might exist. In this survey, we attempted to compile all the data available in the literature and to describe the latest developments in the field. ..
- Stapulionis R, Wang Y, Dempsey G, Khudaravalli R, Nielsen K, Cooperman B, et al. Fast in vitro translation system immobilized on a surface via specific biotinylation of the ribosome. Biol Chem. 2008;389:1239-49 pubmed publisher..Functional interactions of the immobilized ribosomes with various components of the protein synthesis apparatus are shown by use of surface plasmon resonance. ..
- Furukawa Y, Kaneko K, Yamanaka K, O Halloran T, Nukina N. Complete loss of post-translational modifications triggers fibrillar aggregation of SOD1 in the familial form of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:24167-76 pubmed publisher..Based on our in vivo and in vitro results, we propose that facilitation of post-translational modifications is a promising strategy to reduce SOD1 aggregation in the cell. ..
- Siemiiatkoski J, Lyubarskaya Y. Mass spectrometry and HPLC for carbohydrate analysis. Dev Biol (Basel). 2005;122:69-74 pubmed..While the techniques used differ in the analytical approaches, they all yield highly reproducible, linear and precise data for IgG glycoform analysis. ..
- Fujihara J, Hieda Y, Xue Y, Nakagami N, Takayama K, Kataoka K, et al. One-step purification of mammalian deoxyribonucleases I and differences among pancreas, parotid, and pancreas-parotid (mixed) types based on species- and organ-specific N-linked glycosylation. Biochemistry (Mosc). 2006;71 Suppl 1:S65-70 pubmed..Our results suggest that the distinct properties of DNase I exhibited by the three types may be attributed to differences in the extent of post-translational N-linked glycosylation of the enzyme. ..
- Rampal R, Luther K, Haltiwanger R. Notch signaling in normal and disease States: possible therapies related to glycosylation. Curr Mol Med. 2007;7:427-45 pubmed..As well, potential roles for glycosylation in Notch-related human diseases, and possible roles for therapeutic targeting of POFUT1 and Fringe in Notch-related human diseases, are discussed. ..