Genomes and Genes
Summary: Processes that stimulate the GENETIC TRANSCRIPTION of a gene or set of genes.
- Golubovskaya V, Ho B, Zheng M, Magis A, Ostrov D, Morrison C, et al. Disruption of focal adhesion kinase and p53 interaction with small molecule compound R2 reactivated p53 and blocked tumor growth. BMC Cancer. 2013;13:342 pubmed publisher..Thus, disruption of the FAK and p53 interaction with a novel small molecule reactivated p53 in cancer cells in vitro and in vivo and can be effectively used for development of FAK-p53 targeted cancer therapy approaches. ..
- He B, Kemppainen J, Wilson E. FXXLF and WXXLF sequences mediate the NH2-terminal interaction with the ligand binding domain of the androgen receptor. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:22986-94 pubmed..The results suggest a unique mechanism for AR-mediated transcriptional activation.
- Kim H, Kim K, Yu B, Chung H. The effect of age on cyclooxygenase-2 gene expression: NF-kappaB activation and IkappaBalpha degradation. Free Radic Biol Med. 2000;28:683-92 pubmed
- Libermann T, Baltimore D. Activation of interleukin-6 gene expression through the NF-kappa B transcription factor. Mol Cell Biol. 1990;10:2327-34 pubmed..Because NF-kappa B is involved in the control of a variety of genes activated upon inflammation, NF-kappa B may play a central role in the inflammatory response to infection and tissue injury. ..
- Park J, Dempewolf E, Zhang W, Wang Z. RNA-guided transcriptional activation via CRISPR/dCas9 mimics overexpression phenotypes in Arabidopsis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179410 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the redesigned CRISPR/Cas9 activation system containing modified p65-HSF provides a simple approach for producing activated plants by upregulating endogenous transcriptional levels. ..
- Cao K, Collings C, Marshall S, Morgan M, Rendleman E, Wang L, et al. SET1A/COMPASS and shadow enhancers in the regulation of homeotic gene expression. Genes Dev. 2017;31:787-801 pubmed publisher..Instead, we demonstrate that SET1A/COMPASS is required for full transcriptional activation of multiple Hox genes but functions independently of the E1 and E2 cis-regulatory elements...
- Ibi D, de la Fuente Revenga M, Kezunovic N, Muguruza C, Saunders J, Gaitonde S, et al. Antipsychotic-induced Hdac2 transcription via NF-?B leads to synaptic and cognitive side effects. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:1247-1259 pubmed publisher..Conversely, virally mediated activation of NF-?B signaling decreased cortical synaptic plasticity via HDAC2. Together, these observations may aid in developing therapeutic strategies to improve the outcome of schizophrenia treatment. ..
- Jongstra Bilen J, Zhang C, Wisnicki T, Li M, White Alfred S, Ilaalagan R, et al. Oxidized Low-Density Lipoprotein Loading of Macrophages Downregulates TLR-Induced Proinflammatory Responses in a Gene-Specific and Temporal Manner through Transcriptional Control. J Immunol. 2017;199:2149-2157 pubmed publisher..This study revealed that oxLDL loading of M?s negatively regulates transcription at late stages of TLR-induced proinflammatory gene expression and implicates epigenetic mechanisms such as histone deacetylase activity. ..
- Caliskan G, Baris I, Ayaydin F, Dobson M, Senarisoy M, Boros I, et al. Che1/AATF interacts with subunits of the histone acetyltransferase core module of SAGA complexes. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0189193 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new insights into the pathways regulated by ADA-containing protein complexes. ..
- Xiang L, Ou H, Liu X, Chen Z, Li X, Huang Y, et al. Loss of tumor suppressor miR-126 contributes to the development of hepatitis B virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma metastasis through the upregulation of ADAM9. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317709128 pubmed publisher..MiR-126-ADAM9 pathway-based therapeutic targeting may represent a novel approach for the inhibition of hepatitis B virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma metastases. ..
- Zhi X, Dages S, Dages K, Liu Y, Hua Z, Makemson J, et al. Transient and dynamic DNA supercoiling potently stimulates the leu-500 promoter in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:14566-14575 pubmed publisher..coli and greatly influences the nearby, coupled promoters/transcription. ..
- Kamato D, Bhaskarala V, Mantri N, Oh T, Ling D, Janke R, et al. RNA sequencing to determine the contribution of kinase receptor transactivation to G protein coupled receptor signalling in vascular smooth muscle cells. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180842 pubmed publisher..This work shows that genome wide studies can provide powerful insights into GPCR mediated signalling pathways. ..
- Kalimuthu S, Oh J, Gangadaran P, Zhu L, Lee H, Jeon Y, et al. Genetically engineered suicide gene in mesenchymal stem cells using a Tet-On system for anaplastic thyroid cancer. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181318 pubmed publisher..In addition, our findings provide an innovative therapeutic approach for using the Tet-On system to eradicate tumors by simple, repeated administration of MSC-Tet-TK/Fluc cells with DOX and GCV. ..
- Joung J, Engreitz J, Konermann S, Abudayyeh O, Verdine V, Aguet F, et al. Genome-scale activation screen identifies a lncRNA locus regulating a gene neighbourhood. Nature. 2017;548:343-346 pubmed publisher..Detailed analysis of one candidate, termed EMICERI, revealed that its transcriptional activation resulted in dosage-dependent activation of four neighbouring protein-coding genes, one of which confers ..
- Li J, Feng Q, Qi Y, Cui G, Zhao S. PPARGC1A is upregulated and facilitates lung cancer metastasis. Exp Cell Res. 2017;359:356-360 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that PPARGC1A might be a potential biomarker for lung cancer prognosis. ..
- Franks T, McCloskey A, Shokirev M, Benner C, Rathore A, Hetzer M. Nup98 recruits the Wdr82-Set1A/COMPASS complex to promoters to regulate H3K4 trimethylation in hematopoietic progenitor cells. Genes Dev. 2017;31:2222-2234 pubmed publisher..Our findings establish a function of Nup98 in hematopoietic gene activation and provide mechanistic insight into which Nup98 leukemic fusion proteins promote AML. ..
- Ye W, Chen C, Gao Y, Zheng Z, Xu Y, Yun M, et al. Overexpression of SLC34A2 is an independent prognostic indicator in bladder cancer and its depletion suppresses tumor growth via decreasing c-Myc expression and transcriptional activity. Cell Death Dis. 2017;8:e2581 pubmed publisher..Our present study illustrated that SLC34A2 has an important role in promoting proliferation and tumorigenicity of BC, and may represent a novel therapeutic target for this disease. ..
- Zhou Z, Wan J, Hou X, Geng J, Li X, Bai X. MicroRNA-27a promotes podocyte injury via PPAR?-mediated ?-catenin activation in diabetic nephropathy. Cell Death Dis. 2017;8:e2658 pubmed publisher..We propose a novel role of the miR-27a/PPAR?/?-catenin axis in fostering the progression toward more deteriorated podocyte injury in DN. Targeting miR-27a could be a potential therapeutic approach for DN. ..
- Jiménez Canino R, Lorenzo Díaz F, Odermatt A, Bailey M, Livingstone D, Jaisser F, et al. 11?-HSD2 SUMOylation Modulates Cortisol-Induced Mineralocorticoid Receptor Nuclear Translocation Independently of Effects on Transactivation. Endocrinology. 2017;158:4047-4063 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggests that SUMOylation of 11?-HSD2 at residue K266 modulates cortisol-mediated MR nuclear translocation independently of effects on transactivation. ..
- Fleming A, Zhu J, Ding Y, Burrows C. 8-Oxo-7,8-dihydroguanine in the Context of a Gene Promoter G-Quadruplex Is an On-Off Switch for Transcription. ACS Chem Biol. 2017;12:2417-2426 pubmed publisherInterplay between DNA repair of the oxidatively modified base 8-oxo-7,8-dihydroguanine (OG) and transcriptional activation has been documented in mammalian genes...
- Stallaert W, Van der Westhuizen E, SchÃ¶negge A, Plouffe B, Hogue M, Lukashova V, et al. Purinergic Receptor Transactivation by the Î²2-Adrenergic Receptor Increases Intracellular Ca2+ in Nonexcitable Cells. Mol Pharmacol. 2017;91:533-544 pubmed publisher..In addition, this study reports the generation and validation of HEK293 cells deleted of Gs using the CRISPR/Cas9 genome editing technology that will undoubtedly be powerful tools to study Gs-dependent signaling. ..
- Tubbs A, Nussenzweig A. Endogenous DNA Damage as a Source of Genomic Instability in Cancer. Cell. 2017;168:644-656 pubmed publisher..Here, we review recent studies that shed light on endogenous sources of mutation and epigenomic features that promote genomic instability during cancer evolution. ..
- Yanuka Kashles O, Cohen H, Trus M, Aran A, Benvenisty N, Reshef L. Transcriptional regulation of the phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase gene by cooperation between hepatic nuclear factors. Mol Cell Biol. 1994;14:7124-33 pubmed..In addition, the results suggest redundancy between members of the C/EBP family of transcription factors in the regulation of PEPCK gene expression. ..
- Arthur R, An N, Khan S, McNerney M. The haploinsufficient tumor suppressor, CUX1, acts as an analog transcriptional regulator that controls target genes through distal enhancers that loop to target promoters. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:6350-6361 pubmed publisher..We propose an analog model for haploinsufficient transcriptional deregulation mediated by higher order genome architecture. ..
- Goto H, Kariya R, Kudo E, Okuno Y, Ueda K, Katano H, et al. Restoring PU.1 induces apoptosis and modulates viral transactivation via interferon-stimulated genes in primary effusion lymphoma. Oncogene. 2017;36:5252-5262 pubmed publisher..Collectively, PU.1 has a role in tumor suppression in PEL and its down-regulation is associated with PEL development. Restoring PU.1 with demethylation agents may be a novel therapeutic approach for PEL. ..
- Deng G, Moran E, Cheng R, Matlock G, Zhou K, Moran D, et al. Therapeutic Effects of a Novel Agonist of Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor Alpha for the Treatment of Diabetic Retinopathy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:5030-5042 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study was to identify a novel PPAR? agonist and to evaluate its beneficial effects on DR...
- GÃ¶decke N, Zha L, Spencer S, Behme S, Riemer P, Rehli M, et al. Controlled re-activation of epigenetically silenced Tet promoter-driven transgene expression by targeted demethylation. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:e147 pubmed publisher..Thus, inducible, reversible and site-specific epigenetic modulation is a promising strategy for reactivation of silenced transgene expression, independent of the integration site. ..
- Lundon D, Boland A, Prencipe M, Hurley G, O NEILL A, Kay E, et al. The prognostic utility of the transcription factor SRF in docetaxel-resistant prostate cancer: in-vitro discovery and in-vivo validation. BMC Cancer. 2017;17:163 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that SRF could aid in treatment stratification of prostate cancer, and may also represent a therapeutic target in the treatment of men afflicted with advanced prostate cancer. ..
- Kholodnyuk I, Rudevica Z, Leonciks A, Ehlin Henriksson B, Kashuba E. Expression of the chemokine receptors CCR1 and CCR2B is up-regulated in peripheral blood B cells upon EBV infection and in established lymphoblastoid cell lines. Virology. 2017;512:1-7 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that CCR1/CCR2B could be involved in clearing EBV-infected latency III B cells in immunocompetent individuals via directing the migration of these cells and attracting the chemokines-expressing immune cells. ..
- Song C, Liu W, Li J. USP17 is upregulated in osteosarcoma and promotes cell proliferation, metastasis, and epithelial-mesenchymal transition through stabilizing SMAD4. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317717138 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, USP17 stabilized SMAD4 through its deubiquitinase activity. In conclusion, this study shows that USP17 enhances osteosarcoma cell proliferation and invasion through stabilizing SMAD4. ..
- Flack J, Mieszczanek J, Novcic N, Bienz M. Wnt-Dependent Inactivation of the Groucho/TLE Co-repressor by the HECT E3Â Ubiquitin Ligase Hyd/UBR5. Mol Cell. 2017;67:181-193.e5 pubmed publisher..Thus, Groucho/TLE ubiquitylation by Hyd/UBR5 is a key prerequisite that enables Armadillo/Î²-catenin to activate transcription. ..
- Zheng X, Qi C, Zhang S, Fang Y, Ning W. TGF-Î²1 induces Fstl1 via the Smad3-c-Jun pathway in lung fibroblasts. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2017;313:L240-L251 pubmed publisher..Our results suggested a critical role for the Smad3-c-Jun pathway in the regulation of Fstl1 expression by TGF-Î²1 during fibrogenesis. ..
- Cheong J, Zhang F, Chua P, Bay B, Thorburn A, Virshup D. Casein kinase 1Î±-dependent feedback loop controls autophagy in RAS-driven cancers. J Clin Invest. 2015;125:1401-18 pubmed publisher..Together, our results identify a kinase feedback loop that influences RAS-dependent autophagy and suggest that targeting CK1Î±-regulated autophagy offers a potential therapeutic opportunity to treat oncogenic RAS-driven cancers. ..
- Kim Wiese A, Schluterman Burdine M, Turnage R, Tackett A, Burdine L. DNA-PKcs controls calcineurin mediated IL-2 production in T lymphocytes. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181608 pubmed publisher..The discovery of DNA-PKcs as a potent regulator of IL-2 production will drive continued investigation of small molecule inhibition of this enzyme within the clinic. ..
- Bodnar J, Bradley M. A chromatin switch. J Theor Biol. 1996;183:1-7 pubmed
- Shieh P, Hu S, Bobb K, Timmusk T, Ghosh A. Identification of a signaling pathway involved in calcium regulation of BDNF expression. Neuron. 1998;20:727-40 pubmed..These mechanisms, which implicate CaM kinase IV and CREB in the control of BDNF expression, are likely to be centrally involved in activity-dependent plasticity during development. ..
- Lonard D, Nawaz Z, Smith C, O Malley B. The 26S proteasome is required for estrogen receptor-alpha and coactivator turnover and for efficient estrogen receptor-alpha transactivation. Mol Cell. 2000;5:939-48 pubmed
- de Souza N. Primer: genome editing with engineered nucleases. Nat Methods. 2012;9:27 pubmed
- Rasnitsyn A, Doucette L, Seifi M, Footz T, Raymond V, Walter M. FOXC1 modulates MYOC secretion through regulation of the exocytic proteins RAB3GAP1, RAB3GAP2 and SNAP25. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178518 pubmed publisher..The present work reveals that FOXC1 is an important regulator of exocytosis and establishes a new link between FOXC1 and MYOC-associated glaucoma. ..
- Kim G, Oh G, Yoon J, Lee G, Lee K, Kim S. Hepatic TRAP80 selectively regulates lipogenic activity of liver X receptor. J Clin Invest. 2015;125:183-93 pubmed publisher..Moreover, targeting the interaction between TRAP80 and LXR should facilitate the development of potential LXR agonists that effectively prevent atherosclerosis. ..
- André A, Ruivo R, Capitão A, Froufe E, Páscoa I, Costa Castro L, et al. Cloning and functional characterization of a retinoid X receptor orthologue in Platynereis dumerilii: An evolutionary and toxicological perspective. Chemosphere. 2017;182:753-761 pubmed publisher..The findings suggest a conserved mode of action of the receptor in response to a common signaling molecule and modulation by organotin compounds between vertebrates and Lophotrochozoans. ..
- Ata Ö, Prielhofer R, Gasser B, Mattanovich D, Calik P. Transcriptional engineering of the glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase promoter for improved heterologous protein production in Pichia pastoris. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2017;114:2319-2327 pubmed publisher..Biotechnol. Bioeng. 2017;114: 2319-2327. © 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Pfeffer S, Fan M, Du Z, Yang C, Pfeffer L. Unphosphorylated STAT3 regulates the antiproliferative, antiviral, and gene-inducing actions of type I interferons. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;490:739-745 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that unphosphorylated STAT3 plays an important role in the IFN response pathway. ..
- Norris J, Ellison S, Baker J, Stagg D, Wardell S, Park S, et al. Androgen receptor antagonism drives cytochrome P450 17A1 inhibitor efficacy in prostate cancer. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:2326-2338 pubmed publisher..The results of this study suggest that the ability of CYP17 inhibitors to directly antagonize the AR may contribute to their clinical efficacy in CRPC. ..
- Kaang B, Kandel E, Grant S. Activation of cAMP-responsive genes by stimuli that produce long-term facilitation in Aplysia sensory neurons. Neuron. 1993;10:427-35 pubmed..Using gene transfer into individual sensory neurons of Aplysia, we find that serotonin (5-HT) induces transcriptional activation of a lacZ reporter gene driven by the cAMP response element (CRE) and that this induction requires CRE-..