Genomes and Genes
Summary: A process where fully differentiated or specialized cells revert to pluripotency or a less differentiated cell type.
- Liu T, Shyh Chang N. SIRT2 and glycolytic enzyme acetylation in pluripotent stem cells. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:412-414 pubmed publisher..SIRT2 has now been established as a previously unknown regulator of this metabolic transition during somatic reprogramming by controlling the acetylation status of glycolytic enzymes. ..
- Sciacovelli M, Frezza C. Metabolic reprogramming and epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition in cancer. FEBS J. 2017;284:3132-3144 pubmed publisher..We also put forward the hypothesis that, by altering chromatin structure and function, metabolic pathways engaged by EMT are necessary for its full activation. ..
- Kwon E, Connelly J, Hansen N, Donovan F, Winkler T, Davis B, et al. iPSCs and fibroblast subclones from the same fibroblast population contain comparable levels of sequence variations. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:1964-1969 pubmed publisher..Importantly, the clonal iPSCs and fibroblast subclones contained comparable numbers of de novo variants. Collectively, our data suggest that iPSC reprogramming is not mutagenic. ..
- Rodrigues G, Gaj T, Adil M, Wahba J, Rao A, Lorbeer F, et al. Defined and Scalable Differentiation of Human Oligodendrocyte Precursors from Pluripotent Stem Cells in a 3D Culture System. Stem Cell Reports. 2017;8:1770-1783 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the potential of harnessing lineage reporter lines to develop 3D platforms for rapid and large-scale production of OPCs. ..
- Ning B, Zhao W, Qian C, Liu P, Li Q, Li W, et al. USP26 functions as a negative regulator of cellular reprogramming by stabilising PRC1 complex components. Nat Commun. 2017;8:349 pubmed publisher..In all, our findings have revealed an essential role for ubiquitin-specific protease 26 in cellular reprogramming through polycomb-repressive complex 1...
- Wang M, Tang L, Liu D, Ying Q, Ye S. The transcription factor Gbx2 induces expression of Kruppel-like factor 4 to maintain and induce naïve pluripotency of embryonic stem cells. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:17121-17128 pubmed publisher..These findings expand our understanding of the pluripotency control network and may inform the development of culture conditions for improved ESC maintenance and differentiation. ..
- Schmidt R, Plath K. The roles of the reprogramming factors Oct4, Sox2 and Klf4 in resetting the somatic cell epigenome during induced pluripotent stem cell generation. Genome Biol. 2012;13:251 pubmed publisher..Recent investigation has begun to elucidate the molecular mechanisms whereby these factors function to reset the epigenome. ..
- Henzler C, Li Z, Dang J, Arcila M, Zhou H, Liu J, et al. Staged miRNA re-regulation patterns during reprogramming. Genome Biol. 2013;14:R149 pubmed publisher..This corresponds with a previously observed transition from a stochastic to a more deterministic signal. ..
- Mzoughi S, Zhang J, Hequet D, Teo S, Fang H, Xing Q, et al. PRDM15 safeguards naive pluripotency by transcriptionally regulating WNT and MAPK-ERK signaling. Nat Genet. 2017;49:1354-1363 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings uncover an essential role for PRDM15 as a chromatin factor that modulates the transcription of upstream regulators of WNT and MAPK-ERK signaling to safeguard naive pluripotency. ..
- Guan B, van Hoef V, Jobava R, Elroy Stein O, Valasek L, Cargnello M, et al. A Unique ISR Program Determines Cellular Responses to Chronic Stress. Mol Cell. 2017;68:885-900.e6 pubmed publisher..Coordination of transcriptional and translational reprogramming prevents ER dysfunction and inhibits "foamy cell" development, thus establishing a molecular basis for understanding human diseases associated with ER dysfunction. ..
- Tricaud N, Park H. Wallerian demyelination: chronicle of a cellular cataclysm. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2017;74:4049-4057 pubmed publisher..Wallerian demyelination is a wonderful model for myelin degeneration occurring in the diverse forms of demyelinating peripheral neuropathies that plague human beings. ..
- Storz P. Acinar cell plasticity and development of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2017;14:296-304 pubmed publisher..Here, the critical determinants of acinar cell plasticity are discussed, in addition to the intracellular and extracellular signalling events that drive acinar cell metaplasia and their contribution to development of PDAC. ..
- O Brien Ball C, Biddle A. Reprogramming to developmental plasticity in cancer stem cells. Dev Biol. 2017;430:266-274 pubmed publisher..More research is needed to identify developmental mechanisms that are active in cancer, so that these may be targeted to reduce tumour growth and metastasis and overcome therapeutic resistance. ..
- Liang Y, Ahmed M, Guo H, Soares F, Hua J, Gao S, et al. LSD1-Mediated Epigenetic Reprogramming Drives CENPE Expression and Prostate Cancer Progression. Cancer Res. 2017;77:5479-5490 pubmed publisher..Our findings show how LSD1-mediated epigenetic reprogramming drives CRPC, and they offer a mechanistic rationale for its therapeutic targeting in this disease. Cancer Res; 77(20); 5479-90. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Deboever C, Li H, Jakubosky D, Benaglio P, Reyna J, Olson K, et al. Large-Scale Profiling Reveals the Influence of Genetic Variation on Gene Expression in Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells. Cell Stem Cell. 2017;20:533-546.e7 pubmed publisher..Our work highlights the value of iPSCs for genetic association analyses and provides a unique resource for investigating the genetic regulation of gene expression in pluripotent cells. ..
- Warren C, Jaquish C, Cowan C. The NextGen Genetic Association Studies Consortium: A Foray into InÂ Vitro Population Genetics. Cell Stem Cell. 2017;20:431-433 pubmed publisher..This issue of Cell Stem Cell and affiliated journals include several manuscripts describing the results of the consortium's efforts. ..
- Kadari A, Lu M, Li M, Sekaran T, Thummer R, Guyette N, et al. Excision of viral reprogramming cassettes by Cre protein transduction enables rapid, robust and efficient derivation of transgene-free human induced pluripotent stem cells. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2014;5:47 pubmed publisherIntegrating viruses represent robust tools for cellular reprogramming; however, the presence of viral transgenes in induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) is deleterious because it holds the risk of insertional mutagenesis leading to ..
- Shan L, Deng K, Gao H, Xing S, Capoferri A, Durand C, et al. Transcriptional Reprogramming during Effector-to-Memory Transition Renders CD4+ T Cells Permissive for Latent HIV-1 Infection. Immunity. 2017;47:766-775.e3 pubmed publisher..Establishment of latent HIV-1 infection in CD4+ T could be inhibited by viral-specific CD8+ T cells, a result with implications for elimination of latent HIV-1 infection by T cell-based vaccines. ..
- Ezati R, Etemadzadeh A, Soheili Z, Samiei S, Ranaei Pirmardan E, Davari M, et al. The influence of rAAV2-mediated SOX2 delivery into neonatal and adult human RPE cells; a comparative study. J Cell Physiol. 2018;233:1222-1235 pubmed publisher..However, the increased number of PAX6, CHX10, Thy1, and rhodopsin positive cells in adult hRPE treated cultures clearly indicated the considerable generation of neuro-retinal terminally differentiated cells. ..
- Câmara D, Porcacchia A, Costa A, Azevedo R, Kerkis I. Murine melanoma cells incomplete reprogramming using non-viral vector. Cell Prolif. 2017;50: pubmed publisher..These cells represent an interesting model to study mechanism of cells malignancy as well as provide a novel tool for anti-cancer drugs screening. ..
- Bruntz R, Lane A, Higashi R, Fan T. Exploring cancer metabolism using stable isotope-resolved metabolomics (SIRM). J Biol Chem. 2017;292:11601-11609 pubmed publisher..The approach can be applied to a wide range of biological systems, including human subjects. This review focuses on the applications of SIRM to cancer metabolism and its use in understanding drug actions. ..
- Jukam D, Shariati S, Skotheim J. Zygotic Genome Activation in Vertebrates. Dev Cell. 2017;42:316-332 pubmed publisher..Here, we review progress in understanding vertebrate ZGA dynamics in frogs, fish, mice, and humans to explore differences and emphasize common features. ..
- Charneca J, Matias A, Escapa A, Fernandes C, Alves A, Santos J, et al. Ectopic expression of CITED2 prior to reprogramming, promotes and homogenises the conversion of somatic cells into induced pluripotent stem cells. Exp Cell Res. 2017;358:290-300 pubmed publisher..These results indicated that ectopic CITED2 expression at the onset of the reprogramming process in combination with the reprogramming factors promotes a complete and homogeneous conversion of somatic cells into iPSC. ..
- Pan X, Tsai M, Wuputra K, Ku C, Lin W, Lin Y, et al. Application of Cancer Cell Reprogramming Technology to Human Cancer Research. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:3367-3377 pubmed..The present review summarizes the recent advances in cancer cell reprogramming using iPSC technology and discusses its potential clinical use and related drug screening. ..
- Flyamer I, Gassler J, Imakaev M, Brandão H, Ulianov S, Abdennur N, et al. Single-nucleus Hi-C reveals unique chromatin reorganization at oocyte-to-zygote transition. Nature. 2017;544:110-114 pubmed publisher..An understanding of this zygotic chromatin 'ground state' could potentially provide insights into reprogramming cells to a state of totipotency. ..
- Ho J, Cattoglio C, McSwiggen D, Tjian R, Fong Y. Regulation of DNA demethylation by the XPC DNA repair complex in somatic and pluripotent stem cells. Genes Dev. 2017;31:830-844 pubmed publisherFaithful resetting of the epigenetic memory of a somatic cell to a pluripotent state during cellular reprogramming requires DNA methylation to silence somatic gene expression and dynamic DNA demethylation to activate pluripotency gene ..
- Qiang L, Rao A, Mostoslavsky G, James M, Comfort N, Sullivan K, et al. Reprogramming cells from Gulf War veterans into neurons to study Gulf War illness. Neurology. 2017;88:1968-1975 pubmed publisher..Such cell lines are immortal and will be a resource for GWI researchers to pursue mechanistic hypotheses and therapeutics. ..
- Warren C, O Sullivan J, Friesen M, Becker C, Zhang X, Liu P, et al. Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Differentiation Enables Functional Validation of GWAS Variants in Metabolic Disease. Cell Stem Cell. 2017;20:547-557.e7 pubmed publisher..Initial investigation of additional SNPs also highlighted correlations with gene expression. These findings suggest that iPSC-based population studies hold promise as tools for the functional validation of GWAS variants. ..
- Parveen S, Panicker M, Gupta P. Generation of an induced pluripotent stem cell line from chorionic villi of a Turner syndrome spontaneous abortion. Stem Cell Res. 2017;19:12-16 pubmed publisher..This pluripotent stem cell model of Turner syndrome should serve as a tool to study the developmental abnormalities of foetus and placenta that lead to early embryo lethality and profound symptoms like infertility in 45 XO survivors. ..
- Skamagki M, Correia C, Yeung P, Baslan T, Beck S, Zhang C, et al. ZSCAN10 expression corrects the genomic instability of iPSCs from aged donors. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:1037-1048 pubmed publisher..Correcting the genomic instability of A-iPSCs will ultimately enhance our ability to produce histocompatible functional tissues from older patients' own cells that are safe for transplantation. ..
- Lis R, Karrasch C, Poulos M, Kunar B, Redmond D, Duran J, et al. Conversion of adult endothelium to immunocompetent haematopoietic stem cells. Nature. 2017;545:439-445 pubmed publisher..Pluripotency-independent conversion of endothelial cells into autologous authentic engraftable haematopoietic stem cells could aid treatment of haematological disorders. ..
- Maenohara S, Unoki M, Toh H, Ohishi H, Sharif J, Koseki H, et al. Role of UHRF1 in de novo DNA methylation in oocytes and maintenance methylation in preimplantation embryos. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1007042 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals multiple functions of UHRF1 during the global epigenetic reprogramming of oocytes and early embryos...
- Liu X, Nefzger C, Rossello F, Chen J, Knaupp A, Firas J, et al. Comprehensive characterization of distinct states of human naive pluripotency generated by reprogramming. Nat Methods. 2017;14:1055-1062 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our characterization identifies KLF4 as sufficient for conversion of primed hPSCs into naive t2iLGöY hPSCs, underscoring the role that reprogramming factors can play for the derivation of bona fide naive hPSCs. ..
- Jeong H, Bhin J, Joon Kim H, Hwang D, Ryul Lee D, Kim K. Transcriptional regulatory networks underlying the reprogramming of spermatogonial stem cells to multipotent stem cells. Exp Mol Med. 2017;49:e315 pubmed publisher..Our TRNs provide a model for the temporally coordinated transcriptional regulation of pluripotency-related processes during the SSC-to-mSSC reprogramming, which can be further tested in detailed functional studies. ..
- Ruprecht B, Zaal E, Zecha J, Wu W, Berkers C, Kuster B, et al. Lapatinib Resistance in Breast Cancer Cells Is Accompanied by Phosphorylation-Mediated Reprogramming of Glycolysis. Cancer Res. 2017;77:1842-1853 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our multi-omic analysis offers deeper perspectives on cancer drug resistance and suggests new biomarkers and treatment options for lapatinib-resistant cancers. Cancer Res; 77(8); 1842-53. Â©2017 AACR. ..
- Zhang S, Liu L, Hu Y, Lv Z, Li Q, Gong W, et al. Derivation of human induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) line from a 79year old sporadic male Parkinson's disease patient. Stem Cell Res. 2017;19:43-45 pubmed publisher..The iPSC line also showed normal karyotype. This in vitro cellular model can be used to study the mechanism of sporadic Parkinson's disease and to test new drugs. Resource Table. ..
- Chen S, Liang H, Yang H, Zhou K, Xu L, Liu J, et al. LincRNa-p21: function and mechanism in cancer. Med Oncol. 2017;34:98 pubmed publisher..In this review, we briefly summarize the function and molecular mechanisms of lincRNa-p21 in cancer and its regulation for the genes expression . ..
- Tao J, Zhang Y, Zuo X, Hong R, Li H, Liu X, et al. DOT1L inhibitor improves early development of porcine somatic cell nuclear transfer embryos. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179436 pubmed publisher..However, the roles of DOT1L in porcine nuclear transfer-mediated cellular reprogramming are not yet known. Here we showed that DOT1L inhibition via 0...
- Deng K, Li J, She Z, Gong J, Cheng W, Gong F, et al. Restoration of Circulating MFGE8 (Milk Fat Globule-EGF Factor 8) Attenuates Cardiac Hypertrophy Through Inhibition of Akt Pathway. Hypertension. 2017;70:770-779 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that Mfge8 is an endogenous negative regulator of pathological cardiac hypertrophy and may, thus, have potential both as a novel biomarker and as a therapeutic target for treatment of cardiac hypertrophy. ..
- Lonfat N, Cepko C. Epigenomics of Retinal Development in Mice and Humans. Neuron. 2017;94:420-423 pubmed publisher..In this issue of Neuron, Aldiri et al. (2017) present an analysis of epigenetic changes during retinal development, and use these data to probe reprogramming of retinal iPSC cells, as well as the origin of retinoblastoma cells. ..