Genomes and Genes
Summary: The alignment of CHROMOSOMES at homologous sequences.
- Sato A, Isaac B, Phillips C, Rillo R, Carlton P, Wynne D, et al. Cytoskeletal forces span the nuclear envelope to coordinate meiotic chromosome pairing and synapsis. Cell. 2009;139:907-19 pubmed publisher..Disruption of microtubules inhibits chromosome pairing, indicating that these connections promote interhomolog interactions...
- Zetka M. Homologue pairing, recombination and segregation in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genome Dyn. 2009;5:43-55 pubmed publisher..Chromosome sites required for chromosome pairing are consolidated to one end of each chromosome, the many sites of recombination initiation are resolved into ..
- Mark M, Jacobs H, Oulad Abdelghani M, Dennefeld C, Féret B, Vernet N, et al. STRA8-deficient spermatocytes initiate, but fail to complete, meiosis and undergo premature chromosome condensation. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:3233-42 pubmed publisher..a prolonged bouquet-stage configuration, asynapsis and heterosynapsis, suggesting function(s) of STRA8 in chromosome pairing. Most importantly, a large number of mutant leptotene spermatocytes underwent premature chromosome ..
- Knight E, Greer E, Draeger T, Thole V, Reader S, Shaw P, et al. Inducing chromosome pairing through premature condensation: analysis of wheat interspecific hybrids. Funct Integr Genomics. 2010;10:603-8 pubmed publisher..chromosome condensation, can be introduced into wheat interspecific hybrids prior to meiosis to induce chromosome pairing. This pairing occurs in the presence of the Ph1 locus, which usually suppresses pairing of related ..
- Hao M, Luo J, Yang M, Zhang L, Yan Z, Yuan Z, et al. Comparison of homoeologous chromosome pairing between hybrids of wheat genotypes Chinese Spring ph1b and Kaixian-luohanmai with rye. Genome. 2011;54:959-64 pubmed publisher..In the present study, meiotic phenotypic differences on homoeologous chromosome pairing at metaphase I between hybrids of wheat genotypes Chinese Spring ph1b (CSph1b) and KL with rye were studied ..
- Fukuda T, Pratto F, Schimenti J, Turner J, Camerini Otero R, Hoog C. Phosphorylation of chromosome core components may serve as axis marks for the status of chromosomal events during mammalian meiosis. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002485 pubmed publisher..We propose that modifications of chromosome axis components serve as signals that facilitate chromosomal events including recombination, checkpoint control, transcription, and synapsis regulation...
- Bateman J, Larschan E, D Souza R, Marshall L, Dempsey K, Johnson J, et al. A genome-wide screen identifies genes that affect somatic homolog pairing in Drosophila. G3 (Bethesda). 2012;2:731-40 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, many of the genes identified by our screen have known roles in diverse cell-cycle events, suggesting an important link between somatic homolog pairing and the choreography of chromosomes during the cell cycle. ..
- Woglar A, Daryabeigi A, Adamo A, Habacher C, Machacek T, La Volpe A, et al. Matefin/SUN-1 phosphorylation is part of a surveillance mechanism to coordinate chromosome synapsis and recombination with meiotic progression and chromosome movement. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003335 pubmed publisher..Unrepaired DSBs and unsynapsed chromosomes maintain this checkpoint, but a crossover intermediate is necessary to shut it down...
- Cherry S, Adelman C, Theunissen J, Hassold T, Hunt P, Petrini J. The Mre11 complex influences DNA repair, synapsis, and crossing over in murine meiosis. Curr Biol. 2007;17:373-8 pubmed..Thus, our findings implicate the Mre11 complex in meiotic DNA repair and synapsis in mammals and indicate that the complex may contribute to the establishment of normal sex-specific differences in meiosis...
- Wojtasz L, Daniel K, Roig I, Bolcun Filas E, Xu H, Boonsanay V, et al. Mouse HORMAD1 and HORMAD2, two conserved meiotic chromosomal proteins, are depleted from synapsed chromosome axes with the help of TRIP13 AAA-ATPase. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000702 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our observations raise the possibility that involvement of meiotic HORMA-domain proteins in the regulation of homologue interactions is conserved in mammals. ..
- Jeffress J, Page S, Royer S, Belden E, Blumenstiel J, Anderson L, et al. The formation of the central element of the synaptonemal complex may occur by multiple mechanisms: the roles of the N- and C-terminal domains of the Drosophila C(3)G protein in mediating synapsis and recombination. Genetics. 2007;177:2445-56 pubmed
- Davis L, Smith G. The meiotic bouquet promotes homolog interactions and restricts ectopic recombination in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Genetics. 2006;174:167-77 pubmed..We discuss mechanisms by which the bouquet may prevent deleterious translocations by restricting ectopic recombination. ..
- Schvarzstein M, Wignall S, Villeneuve A. Coordinating cohesion, co-orientation, and congression during meiosis: lessons from holocentric chromosomes. Genes Dev. 2010;24:219-28 pubmed publisher..Finally, we illustrate how analysis of holocentric meiosis can inform our thinking about mechanisms that operate on monocentric chromosomes. ..
- Jessop L, Rockmill B, Roeder G, Lichten M. Meiotic chromosome synapsis-promoting proteins antagonize the anti-crossover activity of sgs1. PLoS Genet. 2006;2:e155 pubmed..These findings show that Sgs1 has potent meiotic anti-CO activity, which is normally antagonized by SIC/ZMM proteins. Our data reinforce previous proposals for an early separation of meiotic processes that form CO and NCO recombinants. ..
- De La Fuente R, Baumann C, Fan T, Schmidtmann A, Dobrinski I, Muegge K. Lsh is required for meiotic chromosome synapsis and retrotransposon silencing in female germ cells. Nat Cell Biol. 2006;8:1448-54 pubmed
- Wojtasz L, Cloutier J, Baumann M, Daniel K, Varga J, Fu J, et al. Meiotic DNA double-strand breaks and chromosome asynapsis in mice are monitored by distinct HORMAD2-independent and -dependent mechanisms. Genes Dev. 2012;26:958-73 pubmed publisher..Thus, we provide convincing evidence for the existence of a distinct asynapsis surveillance mechanism that safeguards the ploidy of the mammalian germline. ..
- Joyce E, McKim K. When specialized sites are important for synapsis and the distribution of crossovers. Bioessays. 2007;29:217-26 pubmed..These initiators of SC formation can be stimulated by crossover sites, possibly other types of recombination sites and also specialized sites where recombination does not occur. ..
- Voelkel Meiman K, Moustafa S, Lefrançois P, Villeneuve A, MacQueen A. Full-length synaptonemal complex grows continuously during meiotic prophase in budding yeast. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002993 pubmed publisher..Our observations suggest that, after full-length assembly, SC central region exhibits little global turnover but maintains differential assembly dynamics at sites whose distribution is patterned by a recombination landscape...
- Tsubouchi T, MacQueen A, Roeder G. Initiation of meiotic chromosome synapsis at centromeres in budding yeast. Genes Dev. 2008;22:3217-26 pubmed publisher..Our data provide evidence for two classes of synapsis initiation events that differ in location, timing, genetic requirements, and relationship to meiotic recombination...
- Boden S, Shadiac N, Tucker E, Langridge P, Able J. Expression and functional analysis of TaASY1 during meiosis of bread wheat (Triticum aestivum). BMC Mol Biol. 2007;8:65 pubmed..TaASY1 is a homologue of ScHOP1, AtASY1 and OsPAIR2 and is the first gene to be isolated from bread wheat that is involved in pairing and synapsis of homologous chromosomes. ..
- Moore G, Shaw P. Improving the chances of finding the right partner. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2009;19:99-104 pubmed publisher..These mechanisms can be interpreted as limiting the required search and thus improving the efficiency of pairing. ..
- Saito T, Youds J, Boulton S, COLAIACOVO M. Caenorhabditis elegans HIM-18/SLX-4 interacts with SLX-1 and XPF-1 and maintains genomic integrity in the germline by processing recombination intermediates. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000735 pubmed publisher..elegans BLM homolog. We propose that HIM-18 facilitates processing of HR intermediates resulting from replication fork collapse and programmed meiotic DSBs in the C. elegans germline. ..
- MacQueen A, Roeder G. Fpr3 and Zip3 ensure that initiation of meiotic recombination precedes chromosome synapsis in budding yeast. Curr Biol. 2009;19:1519-26 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a role for centromeres in coordinating major meiotic chromosomal events and draw an interesting parallel between yeast centromeres and C. elegans pairing centers. ..
- Corredor E, Lukaszewski A, Pachón P, Allen D, Naranjo T. Terminal regions of wheat chromosomes select their pairing partners in meiosis. Genetics. 2007;177:699-706 pubmed..proposed to ensure homologous pairing by controlling the specificity of centromere associations that precede chromosome pairing. Using wheat chromosomes that carry rye centromeres, we show that the centromere associations in early ..
- Storlazzi A, Gargano S, Ruprich Robert G, Falque M, David M, Kleckner N, et al. Recombination proteins mediate meiotic spatial chromosome organization and pairing. Cell. 2010;141:94-106 pubmed publisherMeiotic chromosome pairing involves not only recognition of homology but also juxtaposition of entire chromosomes in a topologically regular way...
- Jordan P. Initiation of homologous chromosome pairing during meiosis. Biochem Soc Trans. 2006;34:545-9 pubmed..Therefore initiation of homologous chromosome pairing is vital for meiosis to proceed correctly...
- Fukuda T, Daniel K, Wojtasz L, Toth A, Hoog C. A novel mammalian HORMA domain-containing protein, HORMAD1, preferentially associates with unsynapsed meiotic chromosomes. Exp Cell Res. 2010;316:158-71 pubmed publisher..Our results therefore strongly suggest that also mammalian cells use a HORMA domain-containing protein as part of a surveillance system that monitors synapsis or other interactions between homologs...
- Wells J, Pryce D, McFarlane R. Homologous chromosome pairing in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Yeast. 2006;23:977-89 pubmedHomologous chromosome pairing is a central feature of meiosis I, contributing to the correct segregation of chromosomes during meiosis...
- Hamer G, Novak I, Kouznetsova A, Hoog C. Disruption of pairing and synapsis of chromosomes causes stage-specific apoptosis of male meiotic cells. Theriogenology. 2008;69:333-9 pubmed..It seems that the epithelial stage IV checkpoint eliminates spermatocytes that fail a certain quality check, being either synapsis or DNA damage related. ..
- Burgoyne P, Mahadevaiah S, Turner J. The consequences of asynapsis for mammalian meiosis. Nat Rev Genet. 2009;10:207-16 pubmed publisher..Recently it was discovered that the chromatin of asynapsed chromosome segments is transcriptionally silenced, providing new insights into the connection between asynapsis and meiotic impairment. ..
- Garcia Cruz R, Roig I, Robles P, Scherthan H, Garcia Caldés M. ATR, BRCA1 and gammaH2AX localize to unsynapsed chromosomes at the pachytene stage in human oocytes. Reprod Biomed Online. 2009;18:37-44 pubmed..Evidence is shown to propose that BRCA1, ATR and gammaH2AX in the human may be part of a system such as the one previously described in mouse, which signals unsynapsed chromosomes at pachytene and may lead to their silencing. ..
- Pezza R, Voloshin O, Vanevski F, Camerini Otero R. Hop2/Mnd1 acts on two critical steps in Dmc1-promoted homologous pairing. Genes Dev. 2007;21:1758-66 pubmed..To our knowledge, Hop2/Mnd1 is the first homologous recombinase accessory protein that acts on these two separate and critical steps in mammalian meiotic recombination. ..
- Mahadevaiah S, Bourc his D, de Rooij D, Bestor T, Turner J, Burgoyne P. Extensive meiotic asynapsis in mice antagonises meiotic silencing of unsynapsed chromatin and consequently disrupts meiotic sex chromosome inactivation. J Cell Biol. 2008;182:263-76 pubmed publisher..Apoptosis does not occur in mice with a single additional asynapsed chromosome with unrepaired meiotic DSBs and no disturbance of MSCI...
- Hayashi M, Chin G, Villeneuve A. C. elegans germ cells switch between distinct modes of double-strand break repair during meiotic prophase progression. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e191 pubmed..Our data further suggest that meiotic cohesin component REC-8 may play a role in limiting the activity of SPO-11 in generating meiotic DSBs and that RAD-50 may function in counteracting this inhibition. ..
- Shinohara M, Oh S, Hunter N, Shinohara A. Crossover assurance and crossover interference are distinctly regulated by the ZMM proteins during yeast meiosis. Nat Genet. 2008;40:299-309 pubmed publisher..In contrast, crossover assurance requires all ZMM proteins and full-length synaptonemal complexes...
- Seong C, Colavito S, Kwon Y, Sung P, Krejci L. Regulation of Rad51 recombinase presynaptic filament assembly via interactions with the Rad52 mediator and the Srs2 anti-recombinase. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:24363-71 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our biochemical studies have helped identify A320V as a separation-of-function mutation in Rad51 with regards to a differential ablation of Rad52 interaction. ..
- Yang F, Eckardt S, Leu N, McLaughlin K, Wang P. Mouse TEX15 is essential for DNA double-strand break repair and chromosomal synapsis during male meiosis. J Cell Biol. 2008;180:673-9 pubmed publisher..Based on these data, we propose that TEX15 regulates the loading of DNA repair proteins onto sites of DSBs and, thus, its absence causes a failure in meiotic recombination. ..
- Kauppi L, Barchi M, Baudat F, Romanienko P, Keeney S, Jasin M. Distinct properties of the XY pseudoautosomal region crucial for male meiosis. Science. 2011;331:916-20 pubmed publisher..Our findings uncover specific mechanisms that surmount the unique challenges of X-Y recombination...
- Pezza R, Camerini Otero R, Bianco P. Hop2-Mnd1 condenses DNA to stimulate the synapsis phase of DNA strand exchange. Biophys J. 2010;99:3763-72 pubmed publisher..We propose that rapid DNA condensation is a key factor in stimulating synapsis, whereas decondensation may facilitate the invasion step and/or the ensuing branch migration process. ..
- Golubovskaya I, Wang C, Timofejeva L, Cande W. Maize meiotic mutants with improper or non-homologous synapsis due to problems in pairing or synaptonemal complex formation. J Exp Bot. 2011;62:1533-44 pubmed publisher..The mutants described here are now available through the Maize Genetics Cooperation Stock Center (http://maizecoop.cropsci.uiuc.edu/)...
- Naranjo T, Corredor E. Nuclear architecture and chromosome dynamics in the search of the pairing partner in meiosis in plants. Cytogenet Genome Res. 2008;120:320-30 pubmed publisherThe formation of haploid gametes in organisms with sexual reproduction requires regular bivalent chromosome pairing in meiosis. In many species, homologous chromosomes occupy separate territories at the onset of meiosis...
- Ding D, Haraguchi T, Hiraoka Y. From meiosis to postmeiotic events: alignment and recognition of homologous chromosomes in meiosis. FEBS J. 2010;277:565-70 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss the various mechanisms used for alignment and recognition of homologous chromosomes in meiosis. ..
- Ishiguro K, Kim J, Fujiyama Nakamura S, Kato S, Watanabe Y. A new meiosis-specific cohesin complex implicated in the cohesin code for homologous pairing. EMBO Rep. 2011;12:267-75 pubmed publisher..Further, we show that the removal of cohesins and synaptonemal complex during late meiotic prophase is promoted by Polo-like kinase 1, which is similar to the mitotic prophase pathway. ..
- Royo H, Polikiewicz G, Mahadevaiah S, Prosser H, Mitchell M, Bradley A, et al. Evidence that meiotic sex chromosome inactivation is essential for male fertility. Curr Biol. 2010;20:2117-23 pubmed publisher..Our findings show that MSCI is essential for male meiosis and, as such, provide insight into the differential severity of meiotic mutations' effects on male and female meiosis. ..
- Blumenstiel J, Fu R, Theurkauf W, Hawley R. Components of the RNAi machinery that mediate long-distance chromosomal associations are dispensable for meiotic and early somatic homolog pairing in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2008;180:1355-65 pubmed publisher..To test this hypothesis, we have characterized meiotic and early somatic chromosome pairing of homologous chromosomes in flies that are mutant for various components of the RNAi machinery...
- Chelysheva L, Gendrot G, Vezon D, Doutriaux M, Mercier R, Grelon M. Zip4/Spo22 is required for class I CO formation but not for synapsis completion in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e83 pubmed..On the other hand, and contrary to the situation in yeast, mutation in AtZIP4 does not prevent synapsis, showing that both aspects of the Zip4 function (i.e., class I CO maturation and synapsis) can be uncoupled. ..
- Conrad M, Lee C, Wilkerson J, Dresser M. MPS3 mediates meiotic bouquet formation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:8863-8 pubmed..Our observations indicate a general mechanism for meiotic telomere movements. ..
- Costa Y, Speed R, Gautier P, Semple C, Maratou K, Turner J, et al. Mouse MAELSTROM: the link between meiotic silencing of unsynapsed chromatin and microRNA pathway?. Hum Mol Genet. 2006;15:2324-34 pubmed..The presence of MAEL in these critical compartments of male germ cells and its interactions provide a link suggesting the involvement of the miRNA pathway in MSUC...
- Colas I, Shaw P, Prieto P, Wanous M, Spielmeyer W, Mago R, et al. Effective chromosome pairing requires chromatin remodeling at the onset of meiosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:6075-80 pubmed publisher..Moreover, a failure to undergo remodeling results in reduced pairing between the homologues. Thus, chromatin remodeling at the onset of meiosis enables the chromosomes to become competent to pair and recombine efficiently. ..
- Ding X, Xu R, Yu J, Xu T, Zhuang Y, Han M. SUN1 is required for telomere attachment to nuclear envelope and gametogenesis in mice. Dev Cell. 2007;12:863-72 pubmed..This study provides genetic evidence that SUN1-telomere interaction is essential for telomere dynamic movement and is required for efficient homologous chromosome pairing/synapsis during mammalian gametogenesis.