Genomes and Genes
cell self renewal
Summary: The ability of certain cell types, such as progenitor cells or tumor cells, to go through numerous cycles of CELL DIVISION while still maintaining an undifferentiated or partially differentiated state.
- Begum A, Ewachiw T, Jung C, Huang A, Norberg K, Marchionni L, et al. The extracellular matrix and focal adhesion kinase signaling regulate cancer stem cell function in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180181 pubmed publisher..The anti-tumor impact of FAK inhibitors in combination with standard chemotherapy support the clinical testing of this combination. ..
- Zhou F, Liu Y, Rohde C, Pauli C, Gerloff D, Köhn M, et al. AML1-ETO requires enhanced C/D box snoRNA/RNP formation to induce self-renewal and leukaemia. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:844-855 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings indicate that induction of C/D box snoRNA/RNP function constitutes an important pathway in leukaemogenesis. ..
- HÃ©rault A, Binnewies M, Leong S, Calero Nieto F, Zhang S, Kang Y, et al. Myeloid progenitor cluster formation drives emergency and leukaemic myelopoiesis. Nature. 2017;544:53-58 pubmed publisher..Our results uncover a previously unrecognized dynamic behaviour of GMPs in situ, which tunes emergency myelopoiesis and is hijacked in leukaemia. ..
- Li J, Liu X, Hu X, Tian G, Ma W, Pei X, et al. MicroRNA-10b regulates the renewal of spermatogonial stem cells through Kruppel-like factor 4. Cell Biochem Funct. 2017;35:184-191 pubmed publisher..These findings further our understanding of the self-renewal and differentiation of SSCs and provide a basis for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of male infertility. ..
- Sinha N, Panda P, Naik P, Maiti T, Bhutia S. Abrus agglutinin targets cancer stem-like cells by eliminating self-renewal capacity accompanied with apoptosis in oral squamous cell carcinoma. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317701634 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, Abrus agglutinin has a potential role as an integrative therapeutic approach for combating oral cancer through targeting self-renewability of orospheres via reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis. ..
- Jin X, Jin X, Kim H. Cancer stem cells and differentiation therapy. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317729933 pubmed publisher..In this review, we describe the crucial features of cancer stem cells related to tumor relapse and drug resistance, as well as the new therapeutic strategy to target cancer stem cells named "differentiation therapy."..
- Di Persio S, Saracino R, Fera S, Muciaccia B, Esposito V, Boitani C, et al. Spermatogonial kinetics in humans. Development. 2017;144:3430-3439 pubmed publisher..A novel scheme for human spermatogonial development is proposed that will facilitate further research in this field, the understanding of cases of infertility and the development of methods to increase sperm output. ..
- Zou Y, Huang Y, Yang J, Wu J, Luo C. miR-34a is downregulated in human osteosarcoma stem-like cells and promotes invasion, tumorigenic ability and self-renewal capacity. Mol Med Rep. 2017;15:1631-1637 pubmed publisher..These findings may provide the basis for a novel therapeutic target of osteosarcomas based on inducing the expression of miR-34a. ..
- Sierro F, Evrard M, Rizzetto S, Melino M, Mitchell A, Flórido M, et al. A Liver Capsular Network of Monocyte-Derived Macrophages Restricts Hepatic Dissemination of Intraperitoneal Bacteria by Neutrophil Recruitment. Immunity. 2017;47:374-388.e6 pubmed publisher..Thus, the liver contains two separate and non-overlapping niches occupied by distinct resident macrophage populations mediating immunosurveillance at these two pathogen entry points to the liver. ..
- Balasooriya G, Goschorska M, Piddini E, Rawlins E. FGFR2 is required for airway basal cell self-renewal and terminal differentiation. Development. 2017;144:1600-1606 pubmed publisher..This heterozygous phenotype illustrates that subtle changes in receptor tyrosine kinase signalling can have significant effects, perhaps providing an explanation for the numerous changes seen in cancer. ..
- Mzoughi S, Zhang J, Hequet D, Teo S, Fang H, Xing Q, et al. PRDM15 safeguards naive pluripotency by transcriptionally regulating WNT and MAPK-ERK signaling. Nat Genet. 2017;49:1354-1363 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings uncover an essential role for PRDM15 as a chromatin factor that modulates the transcription of upstream regulators of WNT and MAPK-ERK signaling to safeguard naive pluripotency. ..
- Man N, Tan Y, Sun X, Liu F, Cheng G, Greenblatt S, et al. Caspase-3 controls AML1-ETO-driven leukemogenesis via autophagy modulation in a ULK1-dependent manner. Blood. 2017;129:2782-2792 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data highlight Caspase-3 as an important regulator of autophagy in AML and demonstrate that the balance and selectivity between its substrates can dictate the pace of disease. ..
- Ramalingam P, Poulos M, Butler J. Regulation of the hematopoietic stem cell lifecycle by the endothelial niche. Curr Opin Hematol. 2017;24:289-299 pubmed publisher..An improved understanding of the EC-HSC cross-talk will pave the way for development of EC-directed strategies for improving HSC function during aging. ..
- Kitajima S, Yoshida A, Kohno S, Li F, Suzuki S, Nagatani N, et al. The RB-IL-6 axis controls self-renewal and endocrine therapy resistance by fine-tuning mitochondrial activity. Oncogene. 2017;36:5145-5157 pubmed publisher..These findings unveiled an unexpected strategy whereby RB suppresses malignant features of cancer cells through metabolic reprogramming and cell-autonomous inflammation. ..
- Donati G, Rognoni E, Hiratsuka T, Liakath Ali K, Hoste E, Kar G, et al. Wounding induces dedifferentiation of epidermal Gata6+ cells and acquisition of stem cell properties. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:603-613 pubmed publisher..This resolves the long-standing debate about the contribution of terminally differentiated cells to epidermal wound repair. ..
- Lis R, Karrasch C, Poulos M, Kunar B, Redmond D, Duran J, et al. Conversion of adult endothelium to immunocompetent haematopoietic stem cells. Nature. 2017;545:439-445 pubmed publisher..Pluripotency-independent conversion of endothelial cells into autologous authentic engraftable haematopoietic stem cells could aid treatment of haematological disorders. ..
- Lin S, Luo R, Shrestha M, Thirman M, Mulloy J. The full transforming capacity of MLL-Af4 is interlinked with lymphoid lineage commitment. Blood. 2017;130:903-907 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that defective self-renewal ability and leukemogenesis of MLL-Af4 myeloid cells could contribute to the strong B-cell ALL association of MLL-AF4 leukemia observed in the clinic. ..
- Sun H, Chen X, Chen X, Liu J, Ma L, Wu H, et al. PALLD Regulates Phagocytosis by Enabling Timely Actin Polymerization and Depolymerization. J Immunol. 2017;199:1817-1826 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results show a new function for PALLD as a crucial regulator of the early phase of phagocytosis by elaborating dynamic actin polymerization and depolymerization. ..
- Tornack J, Kawano Y, Garbi N, Hämmerling G, Melchers F, Tsuneto M. Flt3 ligand-eGFP-reporter expression characterizes functionally distinct subpopulations of CD150+ long-term repopulating murine hematopoietic stem cells. Eur J Immunol. 2017;47:1477-1487 pubmed publisher..Thus, FACS-enrichment of Flt3/ Flt3L-eGFP-reporter negative, Lin- CD150+ CD48- EPCR+ CD41+ HSCs allows a further 5-fold enrichment of functional LT-HSCs. ..
- Shimokawa M, Ohta Y, Nishikori S, Matano M, Takano A, Fujii M, et al. Visualization and targeting of LGR5+ human colon cancer stem cells. Nature. 2017;545:187-192 pubmed publisher..We also show that combined chemotherapy potentiates targeting of LGR5+ CSCs. These data provide insights into the plasticity of CSCs and their potential as a therapeutic target in human colorectal cancer. ..
- Zhu N, Chen M, Eng R, DeJong J, Sinha A, Rahnamay N, et al. MLL-AF9- and HOXA9-mediated acute myeloid leukemia stem cell self-renewal requires JMJD1C. J Clin Invest. 2016;126:997-1011 pubmed publisher..Together, these data establish JMJD1C as an important mediator of MLL-AF9- and HOXA9-driven LSC function that is largely dispensable for HSC function. ..
- Horton S, Giotopoulos G, Yun H, Vohra S, Sheppard O, Bashford Rogers R, et al. Early loss of Crebbp confers malignant stem cell properties on lymphoid progenitors. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:1093-1104 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that earlier loss of Crebbp is advantageous for lymphoid transformation and inform the cellular origins and subsequent evolution of lymphoid malignancies. ..
- Zanon V, Pilipow K, Scamardella E, De Paoli F, De Simone G, Price D, et al. Curtailed T-cell activation curbs effector differentiation and generates CD8+ T cells with a naturally-occurring memory stem cell phenotype. Eur J Immunol. 2017;47:1468-1476 pubmed publisher..These results shed light on the molecular signals that are required to generate long-lived memory T cells with potential application in adoptive cell transfer immunotherapy...
- Kalkan T, Olova N, Roode M, Mulas C, Lee H, Nett I, et al. Tracking the embryonic stem cell transition from ground state pluripotency. Development. 2017;144:1221-1234 pubmed publisher..These findings are consistent with the proposition that naïve cells transition to a distinct formative phase of pluripotency preparatory to lineage priming. ..
- Anderson K, Hamilton W, Roske F, Azad A, Knudsen T, Canham M, et al. Insulin fine-tunes self-renewal pathways governing naive pluripotency and extra-embryonic endoderm. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:1164-1177 pubmed publisher..Self-renewal of these PrE cultures is robust and, on the basis of gene expression, these cells resemble early blastocyst-stage PrE, a naive endoderm state able to make both visceral and parietal endoderm. ..
- Liu K, Sun Y, Liu D, Ye S. Inhibition of Wnt/?-catenin signaling by IWR1 induces expression of Foxd3 to promote mouse epiblast stem cell self-renewal. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;490:616-622 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight an important role for Foxd3 in regulating EpiSCs and will expand current understanding of the primed pluripotency. ..
- Wang Y, Liu M, Jin Y, Jiang S, Pan J. InÂ vitro and inÂ vivo anti-uveal melanoma activity of JSL-1, a novel HDAC inhibitor. Cancer Lett. 2017;400:47-60 pubmed publisher..Importantly, JSL-1 potently inhibited the growth of uveal melanoma xenograft in NOD-SCID mice. These results suggested that JSL-1 may be a promising therapeutic agent for UM. ..
- Sun H, Wang X, Liu K, Guo M, Zhang Y, Ying Q, et al. ?-catenin coordinates with Jup and the TCF1/GATA6 axis to regulate human embryonic stem cell fate. Dev Biol. 2017;431:272-281 pubmed publisher..Our data thus reveal more detailed mechanisms for ?-catenin in regulating hESC fate decisions and will expand our understanding of the self-renewal and differentiation circuitry in hESCs. ..
- Hale A, Ter Steege E, den Hertog J. Recent advances in understanding the role of protein-tyrosine phosphatases in development and disease. Dev Biol. 2017;428:283-292 pubmed publisher..The tentative importance of PTPs in these processes is highlighted by the diseases that present upon aberrant activity. ..
- Hinnant T, Alvarez A, Ables E. Temporal remodeling of the cell cycle accompanies differentiation in the Drosophila germline. Dev Biol. 2017;429:118-131 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings provide further insight into the regulation of cell proliferation and the acquisition of differentiated cell fate, with broad implications across developing tissues. ..
- Liu Z, Dai X, Wang T, Zhang C, Zhang W, Zhang W, et al. Hepatitis B virus PreS1 facilitates hepatocellular carcinoma development by promoting appearance and self-renewal of liver cancer stem cells. Cancer Lett. 2017;400:149-160 pubmed publisher..Thus, PreS1 acts as a new oncoprotein to play a key role in the appearance and self-renewal of CSCs during HCC development. ..
- Zhai Z, Boquete J, Lemaitre B. A genetic framework controlling the differentiation of intestinal stem cells during regeneration in Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006854 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study provides new insights into the complex and sequential events that are required for rapid differentiation following stem cell division during tissue replenishment. ..
- Theret M, Gsaier L, Schaffer B, Juban G, Ben Larbi S, Weiss Gayet M, et al. AMPK?1-LDH pathway regulates muscle stem cell self-renewal by controlling metabolic homeostasis. EMBO J. 2017;36:1946-1962 pubmed publisher..Finally, providing specific nutrients (galactose/glucose) to MuSCs directly controlled their fate through the AMPK?1/LDH pathway, emphasizing the importance of metabolism in stem cell fate. ..
- Donato V, Bonora M, Simoneschi D, Sartini D, Kudo Y, Saraf A, et al. The TDH-GCN5L1-Fbxo15-KBP axis limits mitochondrial biogenesis in mouse embryonic stem cells. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:341-351 pubmed publisher..Thus, KBP proteolysis limits the accumulation of mitochondria in mESCs to preserve their optimal fitness, whereas KBP accumulation promotes mitochondrial biogenesis in differentiating cells. ..
- ..Expectations in the field have become more realistic, and now, the first successes of therapies based on the CSC concept are emerging...
- Ching R, Sze K, Lau E, Chiu Y, Lee J, Ng I, et al. C-terminal truncated hepatitis B virus X protein regulates tumorigenicity, self-renewal and drug resistance via STAT3/Nanog signaling pathway. Oncotarget. 2017;8:23507-23516 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data suggest that HBx-?C1 enhances liver CSCs properties through Stat3/Nanog cascade, and provide a new insight for the therapeutic intervention for HBV-related HCC. ..
- Imperatore F, Maurizio J, Vargas Aguilar S, Busch C, Favret J, Kowenz Leutz E, et al. SIRT1 regulates macrophage self-renewal. EMBO J. 2017;36:2353-2372 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that SIRT1 is a key regulator of macrophage self-renewal that integrates cell cycle and longevity pathways. This suggests that macrophage self-renewal might be a relevant parameter of ageing. ..
- Liu Q, Chen K, Liu Z, Huang Y, Zhao R, Wei L, et al. BORIS up-regulates OCT4 via histone methylation to promote cancer stem cell-like properties in human liver cancer cells. Cancer Lett. 2017;403:165-174 pubmed publisher..These results revealed that BORIS is associated with the CSC-like traits of human liver cancer cells through the epigenetic regulation of OCT4. ..
- Si Y, Ji X, Cao X, Dai X, Xu L, Zhao H, et al. Src Inhibits the Hippo Tumor Suppressor Pathway through Tyrosine Phosphorylation of Lats1. Cancer Res. 2017;77:4868-4880 pubmed publisher..i>Cancer Res; 77(18); 4868-80. Â©2017 AACR. ..
- Bao X, Siprashvili Z, Zarnegar B, Shenoy R, Rios E, Nady N, et al. CSNK1a1 Regulates PRMT1 to Maintain the Progenitor State in Self-Renewing Somatic Tissue. Dev Cell. 2017;43:227-239.e5 pubmed publisher..Maintenance of the progenitors thus requires cooperation by PRMT1 and CSNK1a1 to sustain proliferation gene expression and suppress premature differentiation driven by GRHL3. ..
- Ghosh A, Syed S, Tanwar P. In vivo genetic cell lineage tracing reveals that oviductal secretory cells self-renew and give rise to ciliated cells. Development. 2017;144:3031-3041 pubmed publisher..In summary, our results provide mechanistic insight into oviductal epithelial homoeostasis. ..
- Desai P, Abboud G, Stanfield J, Thomas P, Song J, Ware C, et al. HVEM Imprints Memory Potential on Effector CD8 T Cells Required for Protective Mucosal Immunity. J Immunol. 2017;199:2968-2975 pubmed publisher..As a consequence, HVEM-deficient recipients failed to afford protection against respiratory reinfection with influenza virus. HVEM therefore represents a critical signal for MPECs and development of protective mucosal CD8 T cell memory. ..
- Kretzschmar K, Clevers H. Wnt/?-catenin signaling in adult mammalian epithelial stem cells. Dev Biol. 2017;428:273-282 pubmed publisher..We further highlight the research that led to the identification of new stem cell markers and methods to study adult stem cells ex vivo. ..
- Yi Z, Yan Z, Miyahara K, Shimada M, Tanaka K, Hayashi H, et al. Effects of Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs on the Self-renewal Capacity of Blast Progenitors in Hematological Malignancies. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:2315-2322 pubmed..There was no significant correlation between the control of BCF and relative SLP. NSAIDs enhance or reduce stress responses, inhibit telomerase activity and differentially regulate BCF and self-renewal. ..