Genomes and Genes
cell nucleus division
Summary: The process by which the CELL NUCLEUS is divided.
- Wong J, Fang G. HURP controls spindle dynamics to promote proper interkinetochore tension and efficient kinetochore capture. J Cell Biol. 2006;173:879-91 pubmed..Thus, HURP controls spindle stability and dynamics to achieve efficient kinetochore capture at prometaphase, timely chromosome congression to the metaphase plate, and proper interkinetochore tension for anaphase initiation. ..
- Schmitz M, Held M, Janssens V, Hutchins J, Hudecz O, Ivanova E, et al. Live-cell imaging RNAi screen identifies PP2A-B55alpha and importin-beta1 as key mitotic exit regulators in human cells. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:886-93 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates that PP2A-B55alpha and importin-beta1 cooperate in the regulation of postmitotic assembly mechanisms in human cells. ..
- Lim H W G, Huber G, Torii Y, Hirata A, Miller J, Sazer S. Vesicle-like biomechanics governs important aspects of nuclear geometry in fission yeast. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e948 pubmed..We validate the model and its predictions by analyzing wild type cells in which ned1 gene overexpression causes elongation of an intranuclear microtubule bundle that deforms the nucleus of interphase cells. ..
- Ford J, Schumacher J. Chromosome dynamics: the case of the missing condensin. Curr Biol. 2009;19:R127-9 pubmed publisher..However, recent biochemical excavating in the nematode has unearthed the 'missing' condensin I complex as well as the worm homologs of long-lost canonical condensin subunits. ..
- Keil R, Kiessling C, Hatzfeld M. Targeting of p0071 to the midbody depends on KIF3. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:1174-83 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that p0071 and Ect2 are transported via distinct motors and identify a novel pathway implicating KIF3 in the regulation of actin organization during cytokinesis. ..
- Sakaushi S, Senda Murata K, Oka S, Sugimoto K. Visualization of aberrant perinuclear microtubule aster organization by microtubule-destabilizing agents. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2009;73:1192-6 pubmed..These results imply that these drugs stimulate the microtubule-organizing activity, despite their microtubule-destabilizing properties. ..
- Cole E, Sugai T. Developmental progression of Tetrahymena through the cell cycle and conjugation. Methods Cell Biol. 2012;109:177-236 pubmed publisher..This chapter reviews experimental data exploring the developmental dependencies associated with both vegetative and conjugal development. ..
- Thomas S, Soltani Bejnood M, Roth P, Dorn R, Logsdon J, McKee B. Identification of two proteins required for conjunction and regular segregation of achiasmate homologs in Drosophila male meiosis. Cell. 2005;123:555-68 pubmed..SNM and MNM do not colocalize with SMC1, suggesting that the homolog conjunction mechanism is independent of cohesin...
- Lordier L, Pan J, Naim V, Jalil A, Badirou I, Rameau P, et al. Presence of a defect in karyokinesis during megakaryocyte endomitosis. Cell Cycle. 2012;11:4385-9 pubmed publisher..This observation may explain why polyploid megakaryocytes display a single polylobulated nucleus along with an increase in ploidy...
- Kuroiwa T. [Mechanism of mitochondrial and plastid divisions: memory of 3 genome sequences of Cyanidioschyzon merolae as an origin of enkaryote]. Tanpakushitsu Kakusan Koso. 2005;50:97-110 pubmed
- Lebedeva L, Fedorova S, Trunova S, Omel ianchuk L. [Mitosis: regulation and organization of cell division]. Genetika. 2004;40:1589-608 pubmed..Modern views on genetic, cytological and molecular bases of the structure and regulation of preparing and implementing mitotic chromosome segregation are discussed. ..
- Wang B, Liu Y, Chen X, Fan Z. Amitosis-like nuclear division in erythrocytes of triploid rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss. J Fish Biol. 2010;76:1205-11 pubmed publisher..The nuclei of the cells can be bell-shaped, constricted or irregular. It is presumed that such nuclear division is probably amitosis. ..
- Yao Y, Dai W. Shugoshins function as a guardian for chromosomal stability in nuclear division. Cell Cycle. 2012;11:2631-42 pubmed publisher..This review primarily summarizes recent advances on the mechanisms of action of Shugoshins in suppressing chromosomal instability during nuclear division in eukaryotic organisms. ..
- Suga H, Ruiz Trillo I. Development of ichthyosporeans sheds light on the origin of metazoan multicellularity. Dev Biol. 2013;377:284-92 pubmed publisher..We believe that further studies on the development of ichthyosporeans by the use of our methodologies will provide novel insights into the origin of metazoan multicellularity. ..
- Bergmann O, Bhardwaj R, Bernard S, Zdunek S, Barnabe Heider F, Walsh S, et al. Evidence for cardiomyocyte renewal in humans. Science. 2009;324:98-102 pubmed publisher..The capacity to generate cardiomyocytes in the adult human heart suggests that it may be rational to work toward the development of therapeutic strategies aimed at stimulating this process in cardiac pathologies. ..
- Thomson D, Berman J, Brand A. High frame-rate resolution of cell division during Candida albicans filamentation. Fungal Genet Biol. 2016;88:54-8 pubmed publisher..while the migration pattern of sister nuclei differed between unbranched and branched hyphae. The presented movie challenges and extends previous concepts of C. albicans cell division. ..
- Murakami R, Hashimoto H. Unusual nuclear division in Nannochloropsis oculata (Eustigmatophyceae, Heterokonta) which may ensure faithful transmission of secondary plastids. Protist. 2009;160:41-9 pubmed publisher..Such unusual nuclear division is discussed in relevance to transmission of the secondary plastid. The present study provides the first report for nuclear and plastid division in Eustigmatophyceae...
- Pinsky B, Biggins S. The spindle checkpoint: tension versus attachment. Trends Cell Biol. 2005;15:486-93 pubmed..In this article (which is part of the Chromosome Segregation and Aneuploidy series), we consider recent evidence that supports and opposes the hypothesis that defects in tension act as the primary checkpoint signal. ..
- Parra Delgado H, García Pillado F, Sordo M, Ramírez Apan T, Martínez Vázquez M, Ostrosky Wegman P. Evaluation of the cytotoxicity, cytostaticity and genotoxicity of argentatins A and B from Parthenium argentatum (Gray). Life Sci. 2005;77:2855-65 pubmed..Neither argentatin showed genotoxic effects in terms of micronucleus frequency in human lymphocytes. According to these results the argentatins are not able to cause injury on DNA by clastogenic or aneugenic mechanisms. ..
- Dhar P. The cell equator - more than poles apart. Trends Biotechnol. 2004;22:103-4 pubmed..However, a new understanding has recently emerged that uncouples these events. The cell-furrow formation seems to ignore spindle polarity and is instead dependent on the stability and dynamics of cortical microtubules. ..
- Carmena M, Earnshaw W. INCENP at the kinase crossroads. Nat Cell Biol. 2006;8:110-1 pubmed
- Fuchs J, Demidov D, Houben A, Schubert I. Chromosomal histone modification patterns--from conservation to diversity. Trends Plant Sci. 2006;11:199-208 pubmed..This implies the possibility of evolutionary divergence in reading the "histone code". ..
- Perillo Adamer F, Kosinski M, Dupertuis Y, Viertl D, Bischof Delaloye A, Buchegger F. Fluorodeoxyuridine mediated cell cycle synchronization in S-phase increases the Auger radiation cell killing with 125I-iododeoxyuridine. Nuklearmedizin. 2009;48:233-42 pubmed publisher..These data show the successful application of fluorodeoxyuridine that provided increased 125I-iododeoxyuridine Auger radiation cell killing efficacy through S-phase synchronization and high DNA incorporation of radio-iododeoxyuridine. ..
- Edwinson A, Widmer G, McEvoy J. Glycoproteins and Gal-GalNAc cause Cryptosporidium to switch from an invasive sporozoite to a replicative trophozoite. Int J Parasitol. 2016;46:67-74 pubmed publisher..05). Cryptosporidium hominis replication was significantly less than that in C. parvum for all treatments (P<0.05), and was greatest at the highest tested concentration of Gal-GalNAc (1mM). ..
- Hannak E, Heald R. Investigating mitotic spindle assembly and function in vitro using Xenopus laevis egg extracts. Nat Protoc. 2006;1:2305-14 pubmed..These techniques can be used to analyze the mitotic function of a given protein. It takes approximately 1.5 h to prepare the extract, 1-3 h for spindle-assembly experiments and an additional 1-3 h if immunodepletion is performed. ..
- Wu J, Ji X, Zhu L, Jiang Q, Wen Z, Xu S, et al. Up-regulation of microRNA-1290 impairs cytokinesis and affects the reprogramming of colon cancer cells. Cancer Lett. 2013;329:155-63 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that up-regulation of miR-1290 in colon cancer cells impaired cytokinesis and affected reprogramming. ..
- Orias E. Tetrahymena thermophila genetics: concepts and applications. Methods Cell Biol. 2012;109:301-25 pubmed publisher..This chapter describes both systems, their interplay, and how they are exploited to construct useful biological reagents and powerful tools, which can be used to answer a variety of experimental questions...
- Kouzminova E, Kuzminov A. Fragmentation of replicating chromosomes triggered by uracil in DNA. J Mol Biol. 2006;355:20-33 pubmed..We propose that the basic mechanism of the uracil-triggered chromosomal fragmentation is replication fork collapse at uracil-excision nicks. Possible explanations for the low level terminus fragmentation are also considered. ..
- De Souza C, Hashmi S, Yang X, Osmani S. Regulated inactivation of the spindle assembly checkpoint without functional mitotic spindles. EMBO J. 2011;30:2648-61 pubmed publisher..Such cyclic activation and inactivation of the SAC suggests that it is subject to cell-cycle regulation that is independent of bipolar spindle function. ..
- Noll J, Jeffery J, Al Ejeh F, Kumar R, Khanna K, Callen D, et al. Mutant p53 drives multinucleation and invasion through a process that is suppressed by ANKRD11. Oncogene. 2012;31:2836-48 pubmed publisher..This represents the first evidence of an endogenous protein with the capacity to suppress the oncogenic properties of mutant p53. ..
- Kokkelink L, Minz A, Al Masri M, Giesbert S, Barakat R, Sharon A, et al. The small GTPase BcCdc42 affects nuclear division, germination and virulence of the gray mold fungus Botrytis cinerea. Fungal Genet Biol. 2011;48:1012-9 pubmed publisher..cinerea...
- Vanzela A, Said S, Prade R. Phosphatidylinositol phospholipase C mediates carbon sensing and vegetative nuclear duplication rates in Aspergillus nidulans. Can J Microbiol. 2011;57:611-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, plcA appears to be directly linked to high-molecular-weight carbon source sensing. ..
- Schneider M, Najand N, Chaker S, Pare J, Haskins J, Hughes S, et al. Gawky is a component of cytoplasmic mRNA processing bodies required for early Drosophila development. J Cell Biol. 2006;174:349-58 pubmed..This suggests that gw represents a previously unknown member of a small group of genes that need to be expressed zygotically during early embryo development...
- Tůmová P, Kulda J, Nohynkova E. Cell division of Giardia intestinalis: assembly and disassembly of the adhesive disc, and the cytokinesis. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 2007;64:288-98 pubmed
- Pathak R, Bogomolnaya L, Guo J, Polymenis M. A role for KEM1 at the START of the cell cycle in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Curr Genet. 2005;48:300-9 pubmed..Our findings also support the notion that Kem1p is a multifunctional protein with distinct and separable roles. ..
- Zhang G, Breuer M, Förster A, Egger Adam D, Wodarz A. Mars, a Drosophila protein related to vertebrate HURP, is required for the attachment of centrosomes to the mitotic spindle during syncytial nuclear divisions. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:535-45 pubmed publisher..We propose that Mars is an important linker between the spindle and the centrosomes that is required for proper spindle organization during the rapid mitotic cycles in early embryogenesis. ..
- Donnianni R, Ferrari M, Lazzaro F, Clerici M, Tamilselvan Nachimuthu B, Plevani P, et al. Elevated levels of the polo kinase Cdc5 override the Mec1/ATR checkpoint in budding yeast by acting at different steps of the signaling pathway. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1000763 pubmed publisher..We propose that Cdc5 interferes with the checkpoint response to DSBs acting at multiple levels in the signal transduction pathway and at an early step required to resect DSB ends. ..
- Polit J, Kazmierczak A. Okadaic acid (1 microM) accelerates S phase and mitosis but inhibits heterochromatin replication and metaphase anaphase transition in Vicia faba meristem cells. J Exp Bot. 2007;58:2785-97 pubmed..OA also induced significant condensation of metaphase chromosomes and blocked metaphase-anaphase transition. ..
- Turkez H, Gurbuz H, Aydin E, Aslan A, Dirican E. The evaluation of the genotoxic and oxidative damage potentials of Ulothrix tenuissima (Kutz.) in vitro. Toxicol Ind Health. 2012;28:147-51 pubmed publisher..But dose-dependent alterations were observed in TAC and TOS levels and NDI rates. In conclusion, U. tenuissima was found to be non-genotoxic but caused sterility at higher concentrations due to oxidative stress. ..
- Ambit A, Woods K, Cull B, Coombs G, Mottram J. Morphological events during the cell cycle of Leishmania major. Eukaryot Cell. 2011;10:1429-38 pubmed publisher..These findings contribute to a more complete foundation for future studies of cell cycle control in Leishmania...
- Kasurka C, Şekeroğlu Z, Sekeroğlu V. Evaluation of the genotoxicity and cytotoxicity of fexofenadine in cultured human peripheral blood lymphocytes. Toxicol In Vitro. 2011;25:1480-4 pubmed publisher..Further cytogenetic studies, especially about the cell cycle kinetics of FXF are required to elucidate the decreases in dividing cells, and biomonitoring studies should also be conducted with patients receiving therapy with this drug. ..
- Ma X, Jana S, Conti M, Kawamoto S, Claycomb W, Adelstein R. Ablation of nonmuscle myosin II-B and II-C reveals a role for nonmuscle myosin II in cardiac myocyte karyokinesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:3952-62 pubmed publisher..Our study shows that NM II is involved in regulating cardiac myocyte karyokinesis by affecting microtubule dynamics. ..
- Lindqvist A, Källström H, Lundgren A, Barsoum E, Rosenthal C. Cdc25B cooperates with Cdc25A to induce mitosis but has a unique role in activating cyclin B1-Cdk1 at the centrosome. J Cell Biol. 2005;171:35-45 pubmed
- Xu J, Tian H, Wang W, Liang A. The zinc finger protein Zfr1p is localized specifically to conjugation junction and required for sexual development in Tetrahymena thermophila. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52799 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data reveal that Zfr1p is required for the stability and integrity of the conjugation junction structure and essential for the sexual life cycle of the Tetrahymena cell...
- Jin X, Chen Q, Tang S, Zou J, Chen K, Zhang T, et al. Investigation of quinocetone-induced genotoxicity in HepG2 cells using the comet assay, cytokinesis-block micronucleus test and RAPD analysis. Toxicol In Vitro. 2009;23:1209-14 pubmed publisher..25, 2.5 and 5 microg/mL. The results demonstrated that quinocetone exerted genotoxic effects on HepG2 cells. Thus, the use of quinocetone as a growth promoter in animal feed should be seriously considered. ..
- Yoshida Y, Fujiwara T, Imoto Y, Yoshida M, Ohnuma M, Hirooka S, et al. The kinesin-like protein TOP promotes Aurora localisation and induces mitochondrial, chloroplast and nuclear division. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:2392-400 pubmed publisher..In addition, given the presence of TOP homologs throughout the eukaryotes, and the involvement of TOP in mitochondrial and chloroplast division may illuminate the original function of C-terminal kinesin-like proteins. ..
- Lakshmikanth G, Warrick H, Spudich J. A mitotic kinesin-like protein required for normal karyokinesis, myosin localization to the furrow, and cytokinesis in Dictyostelium. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:16519-24 pubmed..Given these results, we hypothesize a mechanism for myosin II translocation to the furrow to set up the contractile ring. ..