Genomes and Genes
Summary: Food products manufactured from fish (e.g., FISH FLOUR, fish meal).
- Joshi A, John E, Koo J, Ingles S, Stern M. Fish intake, cooking practices, and risk of prostate cancer: results from a multi-ethnic case-control study. Cancer Causes Control. 2012;23:405-20 pubmed publisher..lean), specific fish cooking practices and levels of doneness of cooked fish helps elucidate the association between fish intake and PCA risk and suggest that avoiding high-temperature cooking methods for white fish may lower PCA risk. ..
- Tabak C, Wijga A, de Meer G, Janssen N, Brunekreef B, Smit H. Diet and asthma in Dutch school children (ISAAC-2). Thorax. 2006;61:1048-53 pubmed..Our findings suggest that a high intake of whole grain products and fish may have a protective effect against asthma in children. ..
- Aidos I, van der Padt A, Luten J, Boom R. Seasonal changes in crude and lipid composition of herring fillets, byproducts, and respective produced oils. J Agric Food Chem. 2002;50:4589-99 pubmed..In contrast, the highest values were found from June to August (approximately 23%). Thus, the herring byproducts are all year an adequate raw material for fish oil production; however, during the summer they are richer in PUFAs. ..
- Mejlholm O, Dalgaard P. Antimicrobial effect of essential oils on the seafood spoilage micro-organism Photobacterium phosphoreum in liquid media and fish products. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2002;34:27-31 pubmed..To evaluate the antimicrobial effect of nine essential oils (EO) on P. phosphoreum and determine the effect of oregano oil on the shelf-life of modified atmosphere-packed (MAP) cod fillets...
- Tsaknis J, Lalas S, Evmorfopoulos E. Determination of malondialdehyde in traditional fish products by HPLC. Analyst. 1999;124:843-5 pubmedThe oxidation state of traditional fish products was measured by determining the malondialdehyde (MDA) level by HPLC and the results were compared to those given by a spectrophotometric method...
- Thapa N, Pal J, Tamang J. Phenotypic identification and technological properties of lactic acid bacteria isolated from traditionally processed fish products of the Eastern Himalayas. Int J Food Microbiol. 2006;107:33-8 pubmedSukako maacha, gnuchi, sidra and sukuti are traditional smoked and sun-dried fish products of the Eastern Himalayan regions of Nepal and India...
- Iso H, Kobayashi M, Ishihara J, Sasaki S, Okada K, Kita Y, et al. Intake of fish and n3 fatty acids and risk of coronary heart disease among Japanese: the Japan Public Health Center-Based (JPHC) Study Cohort I. Circulation. 2006;113:195-202 pubmed..33 [0.17 to 0.63]). Compared with a modest fish intake of once a week or &20 g/d, a higher intake was associated with substantially reduced risk of coronary heart disease, primarily nonfatal cardiac events, among middle-aged persons. ..
- Kull I, Bergstrom A, Lilja G, Pershagen G, Wickman M. Fish consumption during the first year of life and development of allergic diseases during childhood. Allergy. 2006;61:1009-15 pubmed..Regular fish consumption before age 1 appears to be associated with a reduced risk of allergic disease and sensitization to food and inhalant allergens during the first 4 years of life. ..
- Voorspoels S, Covaci A, Neels H, Schepens P. Dietary PBDE intake: a market-basket study in Belgium. Environ Int. 2007;33:93-7 pubmed..Although low contaminated, meat products account for around 30% of the total dietary intake of PBDEs. Dairy products and eggs contribute to a lesser degree (less than 30%). ..
- Fox T, van den Heuvel E, Atherton C, Dainty J, Lewis D, Langford N, et al. Bioavailability of selenium from fish, yeast and selenate: a comparative study in humans using stable isotopes. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2004;58:343-9 pubmed..001) from both fish selenium and selenate. Fish selenium is a highly bioavailable source of dietary selenium. Cooking did not affect selenium apparent absorption or retention from fish. Selenium from yeast is less bioavailable. ..
- Appleton K, Peters T, Hayward R, Heatherley S, McNaughton S, Rogers P, et al. Depressed mood and n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid intake from fish: non-linear or confounded association?. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2007;42:100-4 pubmed
- Hedelin M, Chang E, Wiklund F, Bellocco R, Klint A, Adolfsson J, et al. Association of frequent consumption of fatty fish with prostate cancer risk is modified by COX-2 polymorphism. Int J Cancer. 2007;120:398-405 pubmed..Frequent consumption of fatty fish and marine fatty acids appears to reduce the risk of prostate cancer, and this association is modified by genetic variation in the COX-2 gene. ..
- Franco O, Bonneux L, De Laet C, Peeters A, Steyerberg E, Mackenbach J. The Polymeal: a more natural, safer, and probably tastier (than the Polypill) strategy to reduce cardiovascular disease by more than 75%. BMJ. 2004;329:1447-50 pubmed..8, 8.1, and 3.3 years. The Polymeal promises to be an effective, non-pharmacological, safe, cheap, and tasty alternative to reduce cardiovascular morbidity and increase life expectancy in the general population. ..
- Kris Etherton P, Harris W, Appel L. Fish consumption, fish oil, omega-3 fatty acids, and cardiovascular disease. Circulation. 2002;106:2747-57 pubmed
- Tanskanen A, Hibbeln J, Tuomilehto J, Uutela A, Haukkala A, Viinamaki H, et al. Fish consumption and depressive symptoms in the general population in Finland. Psychiatr Serv. 2001;52:529-31 pubmed..After the analysis adjusted for potential confounders, the likelihood of having depressive symptoms was significantly higher among infrequent fish consumers than among frequent consumers. ..
- Gram L, Huss H. Microbiological spoilage of fish and fish products. Int J Food Microbiol. 1996;33:121-37 pubmedSpoilage of fresh and lightly preserved fish products is caused by microbial action...
- Appleton K, Woodside J, Yarnell J, Arveiler D, Haas B, Amouyel P, et al. Depressed mood and dietary fish intake: direct relationship or indirect relationship as a result of diet and lifestyle?. J Affect Disord. 2007;104:217-23 pubmed..However, while diet is not measured and until lifestyle can be adequately measured, the potential roles of diet and lifestyle in the association between depressed mood and dietary fish intake should not be ignored. ..
- Seddon J, Cote J, Rosner B. Progression of age-related macular degeneration: association with dietary fat, transunsaturated fat, nuts, and fish intake. Arch Ophthalmol. 2003;121:1728-37 pubmed..Fish intake and nuts reduced risk. Since advanced AMD is associated with visual loss and reduced quality of life, these preventive measures deserve additional research and greater emphasis. ..
- Takemura Y, Sakurai Y, Honjo S, Tokimatsu A, Gibo M, Hara T, et al. The relationship between fish intake and the prevalence of asthma: the Tokorozawa childhood asthma and pollinosis study. Prev Med. 2002;34:221-5 pubmed..The results indicated that frequency of fish intake was positively related to the prevalence of asthma. This result might have important implications for health. ..
- Park Y, Hwang S, Hong M, Kwon K. Use of antimicrobial agents in aquaculture. Rev Sci Tech. 2012;31:189-97 pubmed..Unique problems are related to the application of drugs in aquatic environments. Residual drugs in fish products can affect people who consume them, and antimicrobials released into aquatic environments can select for ..
- Tan J, Wang J, Flood V, Mitchell P. Dietary fatty acids and the 10-year incidence of age-related macular degeneration: the Blue Mountains Eye Study. Arch Ophthalmol. 2009;127:656-65 pubmed publisher..To assess the relationship between baseline dietary fatty acids and 10-year incident age-related macular degeneration (AMD)...
- Guillier L, Thebault A, Gauchard F, Pommepuy M, Guignard A, Malle P. A risk-based sampling plan for monitoring of histamine in fish products. J Food Prot. 2011;74:302-10 pubmed publisher..As fish products of concern are numerous, we proposed that the number of samples allocated for a fish category be chosen based ..
- Li G, Liu C, Li F, Zhou M, Liu X, Niu Y. Fatal bilateral dioctophymatosis. J Parasitol. 2010;96:1152-4 pubmed publisher..This is the first confirmed report to follow the natural progression of D. renale infection in a human. Here, we discuss a conservative therapeutic approach and features associated with this parasitic infection...
- Rencova E, Kostelnikova D, Tremlová B. Detection of allergenic parvalbumin of Atlantic and Pacific herrings in fish products by PCR. Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess. 2013;30:1679-83 pubmed publisher..the main fish allergen of both herrings was designed and applied to the investigation of 24 commercial fish products. The targeted amplicon size was 189 bp of pvalb 2 gene of Atlantic herring and Pacific herring...
- Novakov N, Mihaljev Ž, Kartalović B, Blagojević B, Petrović J, Ćirković M, et al. Heavy metals and PAHs in canned fish supplies on the Serbian market. Food Addit Contam Part B Surveill. 2017;10:208-215 pubmed publisher..19 µg kg-1. Some of the samples contained cadmium, arsenic, copper, and benzo(a)pyrene above the limits as set by the European and Serbian legislation. ..
- Kikuchi H, Tsutsumi T, Matsuda R. [Performance evaluation of a fluorescamine-HPLC method for determination of histamine in fish and fish products]. Shokuhin Eiseigaku Zasshi. 2012;53:121-7 pubmedA method for the quantification of histamine in fish and fish products using tandem solid-phase extraction and fluorescence derivatization with fluorescamine was previously developed...
- Fan F, Xue W, Wu B, He M, Xie H, Ouyang W, et al. Higher fish intake is associated with a lower risk of hip fractures in Chinese men and women: a matched case-control study. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56849 pubmed publisher..052). Higher intake of seafood is independently associated with lower risk of hip fractures in elderly Chinese. Increasing consumption of sea fish may benefit the prevention of hip fractures in this population. ..
- Gupta R, Prasad D, Sathesh J, Naidu R, Kamini N, Palanivel S, et al. Scale-up of an alkaline protease from Bacillus pumilus MTCC 7514 utilizing fish meal as a sole source of nutrients. J Microbiol Biotechnol. 2012;22:1230-6 pubmed..38 U/ml/h) was 193.5 and 195.75 U/ml/h in 3.7 and 20 L fermenters, respectively. The crude protease was found to have dehairing ability in leather processing, which is bound to have great environmental benefits. ..
- Naila A, Flint S, Fletcher G, Bremer P, Meerdink G. Chemistry and microbiology of traditional Rihaakuru (fish paste) from the Maldives. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2011;62:139-47 pubmed publisher..The product appears to be a nutritious and shelf-stable product. ..
- Green Petersen D, Nielsen J, Hyldig G. A model for communication of sensory quality in the seafood processing chain. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2012;52:443-7 pubmed publisher..The importance of communicating sensory demands and results from evaluations in the seafood processing chain is described and a Seafood Sensory Quality Model (SSQM) is suggested as a communication tool. ..
- Boziaris I, Stamatiou A, Nychas G. Microbiological aspects and shelf life of processed seafood products. J Sci Food Agric. 2013;93:1184-90 pubmed publisher..Under the applied conditions, lactic acid bacteria and yeasts predominated. The contribution of chemical oxidation and/or autolysis to spoilage and shelf life might be important for most of the products. ..
- Busschaert P, Geeraerd A, Uyttendaele M, Van Impe J. Hierarchical Bayesian analysis of censored microbiological contamination data for use in risk assessment and mitigation. Food Microbiol. 2011;28:712-9 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, inference is made on the predictive importance of several different covariates while taking into account uncertainty, allowing to indicate which covariates are influential factors determining contamination. ..
- Chu Y, Chimeddulam D, Sheen L, Wu K. Probabilistic risk assessment of exposure to leucomalachite green residues from fish products. Food Chem Toxicol. 2013;62:770-6 pubmed publisher..In conclusions, Taiwanese fish consumers with the 95th percentile LADD of LMG have greater risk of liver cancer and need to an action of risk management in Taiwan. ..
- Wang T, Chen Y, Hu M, Li X. [Extraction of inosinic acid in smoked Katsuwonus pelamis based on water]. Se Pu. 2012;30:215-8 pubmed..0%. The novel method is safe, stable and accurate for the determination of inosinic acid in Smoked Katsuwonus pelamis, which can also be applied to the determination of inosinic acid in other foods and deserved to be spread. ..
- Kiriake A, Ohta A, Okayama S, Matsuura K, Ishizaki S, Nagashima Y. [Molecular Identification and Toxicity of Pufferfish Juveniles Contaminating Whitebait Products]. Shokuhin Eiseigaku Zasshi. 2016;57:13-8 pubmed publisher..2 g of pufferfish juveniles were detected in 8,245 kg whitebait product. Thus, the ratio of pufferfish to whitebait product was estimated to be 0.096 individual/kg whitebait product and 0.0033 g/kg whitebait product, respectively. ..
- Rauscher Gabernig E, Mischek D, Moche W, Prean M. Dietary intake of dioxins, furans and dioxin-like PCBs in Austria. Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess. 2013;30:1770-9 pubmed publisher..The 235 food products comprised meat, poultry, game and offal, fish and fish products, milk and dairy products, eggs, animal fats and vegetable oils...
- Lorencová A, Klanicova B, Makovcova J, Slana I, Vojkovská H, Babak V, et al. Nontuberculous mycobacteria in freshwater fish and fish products intended for human consumption. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2013;10:573-6 pubmed publisher..We investigated a total of 92 tissue samples of freshwater fish and fish products: fish directly obtained from ponds (n=25), retail fresh (n=23) and frozen fish (n=23) and smoked fish products ..
- Burger J, Gochfeld M. Selenium and mercury molar ratios in commercial fish from New Jersey and Illinois: variation within species and relevance to risk communication. Food Chem Toxicol. 2013;57:235-45 pubmed publisher..Further, people who are selenium deficient may be more at risk from mercury toxicity than others. ..
- Qiu Y, Chen J, Yu W, Wang P, Rong M, Deng H. Contamination of Chinese salted fish with volatile N-nitrosamines as determined by QuEChERS and gas chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Food Chem. 2017;232:763-769 pubmed publisher..The present study suggests that VNA contamination in Chinese salted fish continues to be serious, and deserves stricter management by the authorities. ..
- Noguchi R, Hiraoka M, Watanabe Y, Kagawa Y. Relationship between dietary patterns and depressive symptoms: difference by gender, and unipolar and bipolar depression. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2013;59:115-22 pubmed..Three dietary patterns were identified: 1) "plant foods and fish products," 2) "fish," and 3) "Western/meat...
- Ghasemzadeh Mohammadi V, Mohammadi A, Hashemi M, Khaksar R, Haratian P. Microwave-assisted extraction and dispersive liquid-liquid microextraction followed by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry for isolation and determination of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in smoked fish. J Chromatogr A. 2012;1237:30-6 pubmed publisher
- Katikou P, Georgantelis D, Sinouris N, Petsi A, Fotaras T. First report on toxicity assessment of the Lessepsian migrant pufferfish Lagocephalus sceleratus (Gmelin, 1789) from European waters (Aegean Sea, Greece). Toxicon. 2009;54:50-5 pubmed publisher..On the other hand, all tested extracts provided a positive reaction in the ELISA test for PSP toxins. This constitutes the first report for presence of toxicity in L. sceleratus caught in European coastal waters...
- Shah E, Pongracic J. Food-induced anaphylaxis: who, what, why, and where?. Pediatr Ann. 2008;37:536-41 pubmed
- Lambertz S, Nilsson C, Brådenmark A, Sylvén S, Johansson A, Jansson L, et al. Prevalence and level of Listeria monocytogenes in ready-to-eat foods in Sweden 2010. Int J Food Microbiol. 2012;160:24-31 pubmed publisher..This has induced the development of a national strategy plan with the aim to halve the prevalence of L. monocytogenes in cold-smoked and gravad fish at retail in Sweden by the end of year 2015. ..
- Loh T, Law F, Goh Y, Foo H, Zulkifli I. Effects of feeding fermented fish on egg cholesterol content in hens. Anim Sci J. 2009;80:27-33 pubmed publisher..Moreover, FF was able to increase (P < 0.05) the docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) concentrations in egg yolk and plasma. In conclusion, this study demonstrated that FF increased DHA and reduced egg yolk cholesterol in poultry eggs. ..
- Scaglia N, Chatkin J, Chapman K, Ferreira I, Wagner M, Selby P, et al. The relationship between omega-3 and smoking habit: a cross-sectional study. Lipids Health Dis. 2016;15:61 pubmed publisher..Considering that PUFAs probably interfere in smoking habit, the increase in omega-3 consumption may become a perspective in prevention or treatment of smoking. However, this inference must be evaluated through specific studies. ..
- Wilaipun P, Zendo T, Okuda K, Nakayama J, Sonomoto K. Identification of the nukacin KQU-131, a new type-A(II) lantibiotic produced by Staphylococcus hominis KQU-131 isolated from Thai fermented fish product (Pla-ra). Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2008;72:2232-5 pubmed..There were three different amino acid residues between nukacin ISK-1 and nukacin KQU-131, one residue in the leader peptide and the other two in the mature peptide...
- Papastergiadis A, Mubiru E, Van Langenhove H, De Meulenaer B. Malondialdehyde measurement in oxidized foods: evaluation of the spectrophotometric thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) test in various foods. J Agric Food Chem. 2012;60:9589-94 pubmed..Oils and unprocessed and uncooked meat and fish products did not exhibit any significant difference in the amount of MDA measured by the two methods, indicating that ..