Summary: Meat such as beef, pork, or lamb which contains more MYOGLOBIN than POULTRY or SEAFOOD.
- Guo P, Zhu B, Xu L, Niu H, Wang Z, Guan L, et al. Genomic prediction with parallel computing for slaughter traits in Chinese Simmental beef cattle using high-density genotypes. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179885 pubmed publisher..The estimations of direct genomic breeding values using parallel Bayesian methods can offer important insights into improving prediction accuracy at young ages and may also help to identify superior candidates in breeding programs. ..
- Vasan A, Ingham S, Ingham B. Comparative Effect of Heat Shock on Survival of O157:H7 and Non-O157 Shiga Toxigenic Escherichia coli and Salmonella in Lean Beef with or without Moisture-Enhancing Ingredients. J Food Prot. 2017;80:1002-1008 pubmed publisher..05). We suggest that thermal processes validated against Salmonella may not prove effective against STEC in all cases and that regulators of the beef industry should focus attention on STEC in nonintact moisture-enhanced beef products. ..
- Beals J, Mackenzie R, van Vliet S, Skinner S, Pagni B, Niemiro G, et al. Protein-Rich Food Ingestion Stimulates Mitochondrial Protein Synthesis in Sedentary Young Adults of Different BMIs. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017;102:3415-3424 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that alterations in postprandial MPS are unlikely to contribute to compromised muscle macronutrient metabolism witnessed with obesity. ..
- Berman J, Francoz D, Dubuc J, Buczinski S. A randomised clinical trial of a metaphylactic treatment with tildipirosin for bovine respiratory disease in veal calves. BMC Vet Res. 2017;13:176 pubmed publisher..In this study population with a low BRD prevalence, we were not able to detect any benefit of tildipirosin as a metaphylactic treatment of BRD at day 12 after arrival based on BRD treatments, TUS, and ADG. ..
- Grosso G, Micek A, Godos J, Pajak A, Sciacca S, Galvano F, et al. Health risk factors associated with meat, fruit and vegetable consumption in cohort studies: A comprehensive meta-analysis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183787 pubmed publisher..Ninety-eight studies including 20 on red meat, 6 on processed meat, 12 on total meat, 37 on fruit and vegetable combined, 21 on fruit and 24 on vegetable ..
- Said B, Usdin M, Warburton F, Ijaz S, Tedder R, Morgan D. Pork products associated with human infection caused by an emerging phylotype of hepatitis E virus in England and Wales. Epidemiol Infect. 2017;145:2417-2423 pubmed publisher..This does not infer blame on the supermarket but the epidemiology of HEV is dynamic and reflects complex animal husbandry practices which need to be explored further...
- Abdissa R, Haile W, Fite A, Beyi A, Agga G, Edao B, et al. Prevalence of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in beef cattle at slaughter and beef carcasses at retail shops in Ethiopia. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:277 pubmed publisher..E. coli O157: H7 occurs at low prevalence in beef cattle, and the current sanitary dressing procedures in the processing plants and storage conditions in the retail shops are effective against E. coli O157: H7. ..
- Lenighan Y, Nugent A, Li K, Brennan L, Walton J, Flynn A, et al. Processed red meat contribution to dietary patterns and the associated cardio-metabolic outcomes. Br J Nutr. 2017;118:222-228 pubmed publisherEvidence suggests that processed red meat consumption is a risk factor for CVD and type 2 diabetes (T2D)...
- Patchanee P, Eiamsam Ang T, Vanaseang J, Boonkhot P, Tadee P. Determination of regional relationships among Salmonella spp. isolated from retail pork circulating in the Chiang Mai municipality area using a WGS data approach. Int J Food Microbiol. 2017;254:18-24 pubmed publisher..Acquiring information about infection sources and transmission routes will hopefully motivate all sectors to enforce strict sanitation controls at all production stages including the consumer level. ..
- Jia G, Nirasawa S, Ji X, Luo Y, Liu H. Physicochemical changes in myofibrillar proteins extracted from pork tenderloin thawed by a high-voltage electrostatic field. Food Chem. 2018;240:910-916 pubmed publisher..A higher abundance of proteins extracted from -10kV HVEF-thawed samples compared with air-thawed samples was found. Finally, this study showed that thawing under -10kV conditions did not affect the structure of myofibrillar proteins. ..
- Cabral C, Panzenhagen P, Delgado K, Silva G, Rodrigues D, Franco R, et al. Contamination of Carcasses and Utensils in Small Swine Slaughterhouses by Salmonella in the Northwestern Region of the State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. J Food Prot. 2017;80:1128-1132 pubmed publisher..Thus, it is imperative to enforce sanitary inspections in these establishments and to apply good manufacture practices to assure the safety of the produced pork. ..
- Arslan S, Ozdemir F. Molecular characterization and detection of enterotoxins, methicillin resistance genes and antimicrobial resistance of Staphylococcus aureus from fish and ground beef. Pol J Vet Sci. 2017;20:85-94 pubmed publisher..A total of 94.4% of the isolates were resistant to at least one antimicrobial while 44.4% of them were resistant to at least two or more antimicrobials. ..
- Bamba S, Cisse M, Sangare I, Zida A, Ouattara S, Guiguemde R. Seroprevalence and risk factors of Toxoplasma gondii infection in pregnant women from Bobo Dioulasso, Burkina Faso. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:482 pubmed publisher..There is the need for preventive measures such as education of pregnant women about the transmission routes and prevention methods of toxoplasmosis at ANC clinics. ..
- Carr P, Holleczek B, Stegmaier C, Brenner H, Hoffmeister M. Meat intake and risk of colorectal polyps: results from a large population-based screening study in Germany. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;105:1453-1461 pubmed publisher..processed meat consumption and the prevalence of any adenomas or advanced adenomas [highest compared with lowest: red meat, PR: 1.07 (95% CI: 0.83, 1.37); processed meat, PR: 1.11 (95% CI: 0.91, 1.36)]...
- Fontanesi L, Schiavo G, Galimberti G, Bovo S, Russo V, Gallo M, et al. A genome-wide association study for a proxy of intermuscular fat level in the Italian Large White breed identifies genomic regions affecting an important quality parameter for dry-cured hams. Anim Genet. 2017;48:459-465 pubmed publisher..These QTL target mainly chromosome regions different from those affecting subcutaneous and intramuscular fat deposition. ..
- Wang L, Han L, Ma X, Yu Q, Zhao S. Effect of mitochondrial apoptotic activation through the mitochondrial membrane permeability transition pore on yak meat tenderness during postmortem aging. Food Chem. 2017;234:323-331 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, yak meat tenderness was improved by mitochondrial apoptotic pathway during aging. MPTP opening may be influenced by the ROS generation and Ca2+ overloading in yak meat during postmortem aging. ..
- Viator C, Cates S, Karns S, Muth M. Food Safety Practices in the U.S. Meat Slaughter and Processing Industry: Changes from 2005 to 2015. J Food Prot. 2017;80:1384-1392 pubmed publisher..The survey findings can be used to characterize food safety practices and technologies in the meat slaughter and processing industry and identify areas for improvement. ..
- Giżejewska A, Szkoda J, Nawrocka A, Zmudzki J, Gizejewski Z. Can red deer antlers be used as an indicator of environmental and edible tissues' trace element contamination?. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2017;24:11630-11638 pubmed publisher..While our results confirm that the Mazury region is little polluted, consumption of red deer offal from this area should be limited according to extant legal limits set for livestock consumption. ..
- Verardo L, Sevón Aimonen M, Serenius T, Hietakangas V, Uimari P. Whole-genome association analysis of pork meat pH revealed three significant regions and several potential genes in Finnish Yorkshire pigs. BMC Genet. 2017;18:13 pubmed publisher..We also showed that post-GWAS analysis reveals important information about the genes' potential role on meat quality. The gained information can be used in later functional studies. ..
- Yang X, Devos J, Klassen M. Inactivation of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in Minute Steaks Cooked under Selected Conditions. J Food Prot. 2017;80:1641-1647 pubmed publisher..Thus, turning over minute steaks twice during cooking to 71°C or flipping two, three, or four times with a cooking time of 10, 8, or 6 min could achieve 5-log reductions throughout the steaks. ..
- Hadjirin N, Lay E, Paterson G, Harrison E, Peacock S, Parkhill J, et al. Detection of livestock-associated meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus CC398 in retail pork, United Kingdom, February 2015. Euro Surveill. 2015;20: pubmed..Our findings indicate that this lineage is probably established in UK pig farms and demonstrate a potential pathway for the transmission of LA-MRSA CC398 from livestock to humans in the UK. ..
- Kehlet U, Kofod J, Holst J, Ritz C, Aaslyng M, Raben A. Addition of Rye Bran and Pea Fiber to Pork Meatballs Enhances Subjective Satiety in Healthy Men, but Does Not Change Glycemic or Hormonal Responses: A Randomized Crossover Meal Test Study. J Nutr. 2017;147:1700-1708 pubmed publisher..Moreover, animal- and vegetable-protein-based, fiber-matched meals had similar effects on appetite regulation. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT02521805. ..
- Cho S, Park J, Zheng W, Abd El Aty A, Kim S, Choi J, et al. Quantification of bupivacaine hydrochloride and isoflupredone acetate residues in porcine muscle, beef, milk, egg, shrimp, flatfish, and eel using a simplified extraction method coupled with liquid chromatography-triple quadrupole tandem mass spectro. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2017;1065-1066:29-34 pubmed publisher..1% solution of acetic acid in acetonitrile and n-hexane followed by LC-MS/MS could effectively extract bupivacaine hydrochloride and isoflupredone acetate from porcine muscle, beef, milk, egg, shrimp, flatfish, and eel samples. ..
- Hall J, Isaiah A, Estill C, Pirelli G, Suchodolski J. Weaned beef calves fed selenium-biofortified alfalfa hay have an enriched nasal microbiota compared with healthy controls. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179215 pubmed publisher..Feeding Se-biofortified alfalfa hay to weaned beef calves prior to entering the feedlot is a strategy for increasing nasopharyngeal microbial diversity. ..
- Xu R, Wang Q, Li L. A genome-wide systems analysis reveals strong link between colorectal cancer and trimethylamine N-oxide (TMAO), a gut microbial metabolite of dietary meat and fat. BMC Genomics. 2015;16 Suppl 7:S4 pubmed publisherDietary intakes of red meat and fat are established risk factors for both colorectal cancer (CRC) and cardiovascular disease (CVDs)...
- Limon G, Beauvais W, Dadios N, Villena I, Cockle C, Blaga R, et al. Cross-Sectional Study of Toxoplasma gondii Infection in Pig Farms in England. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2017;14:269-281 pubmed publisher..gondii infection in the farms studied, most of which are likely to send to slaughter batches comprising 100% uninfected pigs. These results provide key inputs to quantitatively assess the T. gondii risk posed by pork to consumers...
- Pollari F, Christidis T, Pintar K, Nesbitt A, Farber J, Lavoie M, et al. Evidence for the benefits of food chain interventions on E. coli 0157:H7/NM prevalence in retail ground beef and human disease incidence: A success story. Can J Public Health. 2017;108:e71-e78 pubmed publisher..Industry-led changes in beef processing along with the introduction of food safety policies, regulations, and public education have led to improved food safety in Canada. ..
- Domingo J, Nadal M. Carcinogenicity of consumption of red meat and processed meat: A review of scientific news since the IARC decision. Food Chem Toxicol. 2017;105:256-261 pubmed publisher..Based on the accumulated scientific literature, the consumption of red meat was classified as "probably carcinogenic to humans" and processed meat as "carcinogenic to humans"...
- Narvaez Bravo C, Taboada E, Mutschall S, Aslam M. Epidemiology of antimicrobial resistant Campylobacter spp. isolated from retail meats in Canada. Int J Food Microbiol. 2017;253:43-47 pubmed publisher..CGF analysis showed that Campylobacter isolated from poultry meat in this study were genetically related to clinical isolates recovered from human infections and to those isolated from animals and the environment. ..
- Hu X, Yuan P, Yan J, Feng F, Li X, Liu W, et al. Gene Polymorphisms of ADIPOQ +45T>G, UCP2 -866G>A, and FABP2 Ala54Thr on the Risk of Colorectal Cancer: A Matched Case-Control Study. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e67275 pubmed publisher..037). In GMDR, the gene-environment interaction among the three SNPs and red meat consumption on CRC risk was significant (P?=?0.0107)...
- Júnior G, Costa R, de Camargo G, Carvalheiro R, Rosa G, Baldi F, et al. Genome scan for postmortem carcass traits in Nellore cattle. J Anim Sci. 2016;94:4087-4095 pubmed publisher..Besides contributing to a better understanding of the genetic control of carcass traits, the identified genes can also be helpful for further functional genomic studies. ..
- Del Mundo D, Sutheerawattananonda M. Influence of fat and oil type on the yield, physico-chemical properties, and microstructure of fat, oil, and grease (FOG) deposits. Water Res. 2017;124:308-319 pubmed publisher..Their distinct properties can be used as criteria in predicting the condition and stability of FOG deposits. ..
- Garcimartín A, López Oliva M, Sántos López J, Garcia Fernandez R, Macho González A, Bastida S, et al. Silicon Alleviates Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis by Reducing Apoptosis in Aged Wistar Rats Fed a High-Saturated Fat, High-Cholesterol Diet. J Nutr. 2017;147:1104-1112 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that silicon-enriched RP could be used as an effective nutritional strategy in preventing NASH. ..
- Stella J, Luchansky J, Miller K, Shoyer B, Shane L, McGeary L, et al. Use of an Electrostatic Spraying System or the Sprayed Lethality in Container Method To Deliver Antimicrobial Agents onto the Surface of Beef Subprimals To Control Shiga Toxin-Producing Escherichia coli. J Food Prot. 2017;80:1393-1400 pubmed publisher..Application of LAE, PAA, or CPC, either alone or in combination, via ESS or SLIC is effective for reducing low levels (ca. 0.3 to 1.6 log CFU) of STEC that may be naturally present on the surface of beef subprimals. ..
- Heilmann M, Roesel K, Grace D, Bauer B, Clausen P. The impact of insecticide-treated material to reduce flies among pork outlets in Kampala, Uganda. Parasitol Res. 2017;116:1617-1626 pubmed publisher..Insecticide-treated material provides a practical and sustainable solution in controlling flies and is therefore recommended as a complementary strategy for an integrated vector control and hygiene management. ..
- Takeuchi D, Kerdsin A, Akeda Y, Chiranairadul P, Loetthong P, Tanburawong N, et al. Impact of a Food Safety Campaign on Streptococcus suis Infection in Humans in Thailand. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;96:1370-1377 pubmed publisher..suis infection, and we present a role model public health intervention for prevalent areas affected by S. suis infection in humans. ..
- Chang Y, Peng Y, Li P, Zhuang Y. Practices and exploration on competition of molecular biological detection technology among students in food quality and safety major. Biochem Mol Biol Educ. 2017;45:343-350 pubmed publisher..2017 by The International Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 45(4):343-350, 2017. ..
- Wang X, Zhang Y, Zhang X, Wang D, Jin G, Li B, et al. The comprehensive liver transcriptome of two cattle breeds with different intramuscular fat content. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;490:1018-1025 pubmed publisher..Overall, we proposed a new panel of candidate genes and interaction networks that can be associated with IMF deposition and used as biomarkers in cattle breeding. ..
- Santos S, de Lima H, Massruhá S, de Abreu U, Tomás W, Salis S, et al. A fuzzy logic-based tool to assess beef cattle ranching sustainability in complex environmental systems. J Environ Manage. 2017;198:95-106 pubmed publisher..In the validation process using the WebFuzzy, different combinations of indicators were made for each attribute index to show the corresponding output, and which confirm the feasibility and usability of the tool. ..
- Herstad K, Gajardo K, Bakke A, Moe L, Ludvigsen J, Rudi K, et al. A diet change from dry food to beef induces reversible changes on the faecal microbiota in healthy, adult client-owned dogs. BMC Vet Res. 2017;13:147 pubmed publisher..regarding health implications, including effects on the faecal microbiota, of feeding a diet with high content of red meat to dogs, despite some owners' apparent preference to do so...
- Sarangapani C, Ryan Keogh D, Dunne J, Bourke P, Cullen P. Characterisation of cold plasma treated beef and dairy lipids using spectroscopic and chromatographic methods. Food Chem. 2017;235:324-333 pubmed publisher..Understanding cold plasma interactions with food lipids and the critical parameters governing lipid oxidation is required prior to the industrial adoption of this technology for food products with high fat contents. ..
- Wang G, Zhang L, Song Y, Liu J, Wang J. Application of molecularly imprinted polymer based matrix solid phase dispersion for determination of fluoroquinolones, tetracyclines and sulfonamides in meat. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2017;1065-1066:104-111 pubmed publisher..5%-102.7%. Therefore, this method could be used as a rapid, simple, specific and sensitive method for multi-determination of the residues of the three classes of drugs in meat. ..
- Torres S, Robinson S, Orellana L, O Connell S, Grimes C, Mundell N, et al. Effects of progressive resistance training combined with a protein-enriched lean red meat diet on health-related quality of life in elderly women: secondary analysis of a 4-month cluster randomised controlled trial. Br J Nutr. 2017;117:1550-1559 pubmed publisher..This study examined the effect of a lean red meat protein-enriched diet combined with progressive resistance training (RT+Meat) on health-related quality of life (..
- Buehring G, Shen H, Schwartz D, Lawson J. Bovine leukemia virus linked to breast cancer in Australian women and identified before breast cancer development. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179367 pubmed publisher..This is consistent with the supposition of a causative temporal relationship between BLV infection and subsequent development of cancer. ..
- Raymond P, Bellehumeur C, Nagarajan M, Longtin D, Ferland A, Muller P, et al. Porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus (PRRSV) in pig meat. Can J Vet Res. 2017;81:162-170 pubmed..Traduit par les auteurs). ..
- Mateescu R, Oltenacu P, Garmyn A, Mafi G, VanOverbeke D. Strategies to predict and improve eating quality of cooked beef using carcass and meat composition traits in Angus cattle. J Anim Sci. 2016;94:2160-71 pubmed publisher..74% error rate when the prediction of class membership was based on the USDA grading system. The 2 best predictors were WBSF and IMFC, and they accounted for 97.2% of the variability explained by the best model. ..
- Wang D, Campos H, Baylin A. Red meat intake is positively associated with non-fatal acute myocardial infarction in the Costa Rica Heart Study. Br J Nutr. 2017;118:303-311 pubmed publisherThe adverse effect of red meat consumption on the risk for CVD is a major population health concern, especially in developing Hispanic/Latino countries in which there are clear trends towards increased consumption...
- Golden M, Wanless B, David J, Kottapalli B, Lineback D, Talley R, et al. Effect of Cultured Celery Juice, Temperature, and Product Composition on the Inhibition of Proteolytic Clostridium botulinum Toxin Production. J Food Prot. 2017;80:1259-1265 pubmed publisher..Finally, this study confirms that product composition, the addition of nitrite via CCJP, storage time, and temperature play important roles in the inhibition of toxin formation by proteolytic C. botulinum. ..
- Self J, Luna Gierke R, Fothergill A, Holt K, Vieira A. Outbreaks attributed to pork in the United States, 1998-2015. Epidemiol Infect. 2017;145:2980-2990 pubmed publisher..Additional efforts are necessary to reduce outbreaks and sporadic illnesses associated with pork products...
- Earley B, McNamara J, Jerrams S, O Riordan E. Effect of concrete slats, three mat types and out-wintering pads on performance and welfare of finishing beef steers. Acta Vet Scand. 2017;59:34 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that the welfare of steers was not adversely affected by slats compared with different mat types or OWPs. ..
- Chen W, Hu H, Zhang C, Huang F, Zhang D, Zhang H. Adaptation response of Pseudomonas fragi on refrigerated solid matrix to a moderate electric field. BMC Microbiol. 2017;17:32 pubmed publisher..Our study provides direct evidence that psychrotrophic P. fragi MC16 cultured on nutrient agar plates at 7 °C are capable of adapting to MEF treatment. ..
- Beyi A, Fite A, Tora E, Tafese A, Genu T, Kaba T, et al. Prevalence and antimicrobial susceptibility of Escherichia coli O157 in beef at butcher shops and restaurants in central Ethiopia. BMC Microbiol. 2017;17:49 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, given the low infective dose of this pathogen and the deep-rooted tradition of consuming raw or undercooked beef, the current prevalence should not be considered lightly from a public health perspective. ..
- Taye M, Kim J, Yoon S, Lee W, Hanotte O, Dessie T, et al. Whole genome scan reveals the genetic signature of African Ankole cattle breed and potential for higher quality beef. BMC Genet. 2017;18:11 pubmed publisher..These results provide a basis for further research on the genomic characteristics of Ankole and other Sanga cattle breeds for quality beef. ..
- Jira W, Schwagele F. A sensitive HPLC-MS/MS method for the simultaneous detection of microbial transglutaminase, and bovine and porcine fibrinogen/thrombin in restructured meat. Food Chem. 2017;237:841-848 pubmed publisher..6% bovine and porcine PPFG. A differentiation between the use of blood plasma powder and PPFG using the ratios of fibrinogen to serotransferrin peptide peak areas seems to be possible. ..
- Ngapo T, Vachon L. Biogenic amine concentrations and evolution in "chilled" Canadian pork for the Japanese market. Food Chem. 2017;233:500-506 pubmed publisher..7°C. Individual biogenic amines were not correlated with their precursor amino acids. Biogenic amines in Canadian pork for the chilled export Japanese market were not in sufficiently high concentrations to pose a risk of intoxication. ..
- Eusebi P, González Prendes R, Quintanilla R, Tibau J, Cardoso T, Clop A, et al. A genome-wide association analysis for carcass traits in a commercial Duroc pig population. Anim Genet. 2017;48:466-469 pubmed publisher..Sequencing of these candidate genes may help to uncover the causal mutations responsible for the associations found in the present study. ..
- Mezgebo G, Monahan F, McGee M, O Riordan E, Richardson I, Brunton N, et al. Fatty acid, volatile and sensory characteristics of beef as affected by grass silage or pasture in the bovine diet. Food Chem. 2017;235:86-97 pubmed publisher..Overall liking was negatively correlated with C20:5n-3 and PUFA/SFA ratio, but differences in sensory attributes (tenderness, flavour liking, overall liking) were most strongly correlated with IMF. ..