Summary: Drinkable liquids containing ETHANOL.
- Warpenius K, Holmila M, Mustonen H. Effects of a community intervention to reduce the serving of alcohol to intoxicated patrons. Addiction. 2010;105:1032-40 pubmed publisherTo assess the effects of an alcohol prevention programme to reduce the serving of alcoholic beverages to intoxicated clients on licensed premises.
- Marczinski C, Fillmore M, Bardgett M, Howard M. Effects of energy drinks mixed with alcohol on behavioral control: risks for college students consuming trendy cocktails. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2011;35:1282-92 pubmed publisher..Thus, AmED may contribute to a high-risk scenario for the drinker. The mix of impaired behavioral inhibition and enhanced stimulation is a combination that may make AmED consumption riskier than alcohol consumption alone. ..
- Huuskonen A, Markkula T, Vidgren V, Lima L, Mulder L, Geurts W, et al. Selection from industrial lager yeast strains of variants with improved fermentation performance in very-high-gravity worts. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2010;76:1563-73 pubmed publisher..liter(-1)) than the parent strains, but the sedimentation behavior and profiles of yeast-derived flavor compounds of the survivors were similar to those of the parent strains. ..
- Campbell C, Hahn R, Elder R, Brewer R, Chattopadhyay S, Fielding J, et al. The effectiveness of limiting alcohol outlet density as a means of reducing excessive alcohol consumption and alcohol-related harms. Am J Prev Med. 2009;37:556-69 pubmed publisher..Primary evidence was supported by secondary evidence from correlational studies. The regulation of alcohol outlet density may be a useful public health tool for the reduction of excessive alcohol consumption and related harms...
- Larsen H, Engels R, Souren P, Granic I, Overbeek G. Peer influence in a micro-perspective: imitation of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. Addict Behav. 2010;35:49-52 pubmed publisher..We expected a stronger imitation effect when both participant and confederate drank alcoholic beverages. A random occasion multilevel analysis was conducted to take repeated measurements into account...
- Miguez Burbano M, Lewis J, Fishman J, Asthana D, Malow R. The influence of different types of alcoholic beverages on disrupting highly active antiretroviral treatment (HAART) outcome. Alcohol Alcohol. 2009;44:366-71 pubmed publisher..Subtyping participants by alcohol consumption patterns seems to be clinically relevant and needs to be accounted for in future studies. ..
- Lachenmeier D, Kanteres F, Rehm J. Carcinogenicity of acetaldehyde in alcoholic beverages: risk assessment outside ethanol metabolism. Addiction. 2009;104:533-50 pubmed publisherIn addition to being produced in ethanol metabolism, acetaldehyde occurs naturally in alcoholic beverages. Limited epidemiological evidence points to acetaldehyde as an independent risk factor for cancer during alcohol consumption, in ..
- Meier P, Purshouse R, Brennan A. Policy options for alcohol price regulation: the importance of modelling population heterogeneity. Addiction. 2010;105:383-93 pubmed publisher..We consider purchasing preferences in terms of the types and volumes of alcoholic beverages, prices paid and the balance between bars, clubs and restaurants as opposed to supermarkets and off-..
- Breslow R, Guenther P, Juan W, Graubard B. Alcoholic beverage consumption, nutrient intakes, and diet quality in the US adult population, 1999-2006. J Am Diet Assoc. 2010;110:551-62 pubmed publisher..Educational messages should focus on nutrition and chronic disease risk associated with high consumption of alcoholic beverages and poor food choices, including excessive energy intake.
- Scribner R, Mason K, Simonsen N, Theall K, Chotalia J, Johnson S, et al. An ecological analysis of alcohol-outlet density and campus-reported violence at 32 U.S. colleges. J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2010;71:184-91 pubmed..Separate analyses revealed a similar mediational role for off-premise outlet density. These findings demonstrate that there is a campus-level association between sexual violence and the campus-community alcohol environment. ..
- Franke A, Harder H, Orth A, Zitzmann S, Singer M. Postprandial walking but not consumption of alcoholic digestifs or espresso accelerates gastric emptying in healthy volunteers. J Gastrointestin Liver Dis. 2008;17:27-31 pubmedPostprandial consumption of alcoholic beverages with high ethanol concentration (so-called digestifs) is a widespread custom to alleviate dyspeptic symptoms after comprehensive meals...
- van Hoof J, van Noordenburg M, de Jong M. Happy hours and other alcohol discounts in cafés: prevalence and effects on underage adolescents. J Public Health Policy. 2008;29:340-52 pubmed publisher..It is estimated that 39% of the cafés offer some kind of cash discount for alcoholic beverages. The effects of alcohol discounts were investigated in a survey among adolescents (14-17 years old, N=409)...
- Yu Q, Scribner R, Carlin B, Theall K, Simonsen N, Ghosh Dastidar B, et al. Multilevel spatio-temporal dual changepoint models for relating alcohol outlet destruction and changes in neighbourhood rates of assaultive violence. Geospat Health. 2008;2:161-72 pubmed..We also create maps of the fitted assault rates in Los Angeles, as well as spatial residual maps that suggest various spatially-varying covariates are still missing from our model. ..
- Kerr W, Patterson D, Koenen M, Greenfield T. Alcohol content variation of bar and restaurant drinks in Northern California. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2008;32:1623-9 pubmed publisher..Consumers should be made aware of these substantial differences and key sources of variation in drink alcohol content, and research studies should utilize this information in the interpretation of reported numbers of drinks. ..
- Naimi T, Nelson D, Brewer R. Driving after binge drinking. Am J Prev Med. 2009;37:314-20 pubmed publisher..Although binge drinking is strongly associated with alcohol-impaired driving, little is known about the prevalence of or risk factors for driving after binge drinking...
- Ng S, Ni Mhurchu C, Jebb S, Popkin B. Patterns and trends of beverage consumption among children and adults in Great Britain, 1986-2009. Br J Nutr. 2012;108:536-51 pubmed publisher..This analysis implies that taxation or other methods of shifting relative costs of these beverages could be a way to improve beverage choices in Great Britain. ..
- Benedetti A, Parent M, Siemiatycki J. Lifetime consumption of alcoholic beverages and risk of 13 types of cancer in men: results from a case-control study in Montreal. Cancer Detect Prev. 2009;32:352-62 pubmedThe aim of the study was to investigate the association between lifetime consumption of alcoholic beverages and cancer risk.
- Anderson P, Chisholm D, Fuhr D. Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of policies and programmes to reduce the harm caused by alcohol. Lancet. 2009;373:2234-46 pubmed publisher..In settings with high amounts of unrecorded production and consumption, increasing the proportion of alcohol that is taxed could be a more effective pricing policy than a simple increase in tax. ..
- Kwate N, Meyer I. Association between residential exposure to outdoor alcohol advertising and problem drinking among African American women in New York City. Am J Public Health. 2009;99:228-30 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that the density of alcohol advertisements in predominantly African American neighborhoods may add to problem drinking behavior of their residents. ..
- D Aloise P, Chen H. Rapid determination of flunitrazepam in alcoholic beverages by desorption electrospray ionization-mass spectrometry. Sci Justice. 2012;52:2-8 pubmed publisher..a novel ambient ionization technique, was used in this study for determining flunitrazepam in various alcoholic beverages. Using this technique, no pretreatment of the samples was necessary and identification of the drug was ..
- Lachenmeier D, Sarsh B, Rehm J. The composition of alcohol products from markets in Lithuania and Hungary, and potential health consequences: a pilot study. Alcohol Alcohol. 2009;44:93-102 pubmed publisher..The rates of alcohol-attributable mortality in Lithuania and Hungary have been shown to be higher than those in most other European countries. Quality of alcohol products is investigated as a possible explanation...
- Bagnardi V, Zatonski W, Scotti L, La Vecchia C, Corrao G. Does drinking pattern modify the effect of alcohol on the risk of coronary heart disease? Evidence from a meta-analysis. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2008;62:615-9 pubmed publisher..This meta-analysis suggests that binge and heavy irregular drinking modify the favourable effect of alcohol intake on the CHD risk. However, this conclusion should be taken with caution because of the small number of studies considered. ..
- Bloomfield K, Rossow I, Norstrom T. Changes in alcohol-related harm after alcohol policy changes in Denmark. Eur Addict Res. 2009;15:224-31 pubmed publisher..Even modest alcohol price policies can affect more vulnerable population sub-groups such as under-age youth. Policy makers should consider such consequences when forming economic policies that also have public health implications. ..
- Lachenmeier D, Kanteres F, Kuballa T, Lopez M, Rehm J. Ethyl carbamate in alcoholic beverages from Mexico (tequila, mezcal, bacanora, sotol) and Guatemala (cuxa): market survey and risk assessment. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2009;6:349-60 pubmed publisher..No data on its occurrence in alcoholic beverages from Mexico or Central America is available...
- Yao R, Yasuoka A, Kamei A, Kitagawa Y, Rogi T, Taieishi N, et al. Polyphenols in alcoholic beverages activating constitutive androstane receptor CAR. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2011;75:1635-7 pubmed..Since CAR regulates many genes involved in energy metabolism, the possibility exists that these polyphenols would reduce the risk of certain alcohol-induced metabolic disorders with the help of CAR. ..
- Boffetta P, Kaihovaara P, Rudnai P, Znaor A, Lissowska J, Swiatkowska B, et al. Acetaldehyde level in spirits from central European countries. Eur J Cancer Prev. 2011;20:526-9 pubmed publisherIntake of acetaldehyde in alcoholic beverages, in central Europe, might explain the high rate of alcohol-related diseases in these countries...
- Nagatomi Y, Inoue T, Uyama A, Mochizuki N. The fate of mycotoxins during the distillation process of barley shochu, a distilled alcoholic beverage. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2012;76:202-4 pubmed..None of these were detected in the distillates. The distillation process can effectively reduce the contamination risk posed by mycotoxins in distilled alcoholic beverages.
- Kypri K, Bell M, Hay G, Baxter J. Alcohol outlet density and university student drinking: a national study. Addiction. 2008;103:1131-8 pubmed publisher..e. the associations are unlikely to be due to self-selection effects. Increasing alcohol outlet density, and particularly off-licences, may increase alcohol-related harm among university students. ..
- Jewell J, Sheron N. Trends in European liver death rates: implications for alcohol policy. Clin Med (Lond). 2010;10:259-63 pubmed..Fiscal incentives--minimum pricing, restricting cross border trade and more volumetric taxation could aid this shift. A healthier population and a healthy drinks industry are not incompatible. ..
- Theall K, Scribner R, Ghosh Dastidar B, Cohen D, Mason K, Simonsen N. Neighbourhood alcohol availability and gonorrhea rates: impact of social capital. Geospat Health. 2009;3:241-55 pubmed..Our findings support the importance of continuing controls and limits on off-premise alcohol outlet density, as a potential means of reducing gonorrhea rates and increasing social capital. ..
- Watters J, Park Y, Hollenbeck A, Schatzkin A, Albanes D. Alcoholic beverages and prostate cancer in a prospective US cohort study. Am J Epidemiol. 2010;172:773-80 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that higher alcohol consumption modestly increases nonadvanced prostate cancer risk. ..
- Wagenaar A, Tobler A, Komro K. Effects of alcohol tax and price policies on morbidity and mortality: a systematic review. Am J Public Health. 2010;100:2270-8 pubmed publisher..All except suicide were statistically significant. Public policies affecting the price of alcoholic beverages have significant effects on alcohol-related disease and injury rates...
- Jernigan D. The global alcohol industry: an overview. Addiction. 2009;104 Suppl 1:6-12 pubmed publisher..Branded alcoholic beverages are approximately 38% of recorded alcohol consumption world-wide...
- Sayon Orea C, Martinez Gonzalez M, Bes Rastrollo M. Alcohol consumption and body weight: a systematic review. Nutr Rev. 2011;69:419-31 pubmed publisher..Further research should be directed towards assessing the specific roles of different types of alcoholic beverages. Studies should also take the effect of consumption patterns into account...
- Gustafsson N. Alcohol consumption in southern Sweden after major decreases in Danish spirits taxes and increases in Swedish travellers' quotas. Eur Addict Res. 2010;16:152-61 pubmed publisher..It is possible, however, that the policy changes have affected population groups not reached by the survey, and thus other types of data need to be analysed before drawing any far-reaching conclusions. ..
- Nayak M, Kerr W, Greenfield T, Pillai A. Not all drinks are created equal: implications for alcohol assessment in India. Alcohol Alcohol. 2008;43:713-8 pubmed publisher..This study documented detailed information on drink sizes and ethanol content of alcoholic beverages consumed in three different parts of India...
- Chen M, Grube J, Gruenewald P. Community alcohol outlet density and underage drinking. Addiction. 2010;105:270-8 pubmed publisher..Youth who reside in areas with low alcohol outlet density may overcome geographic constraints through social networks that increase their mobility and the ability to seek alcohol and drinking opportunities beyond the local community. ..
- Makela P, Osterberg E. Weakening of one more alcohol control pillar: a review of the effects of the alcohol tax cuts in Finland in 2004. Addiction. 2009;104:554-63 pubmed publisher..of the changes in Finnish alcohol policy in 2004, when quotas for travellers' tax-free imports of alcoholic beverages from other European Union (EU) countries were abolished, Estonia joined the EU and excise duties on ..
- Miller P, de Groot F, MCKENZIE S, Droste N. Vested interests in addiction research and policy. Alcohol industry use of social aspect public relations organizations against preventative health measures. Addiction. 2011;106:1560-7 pubmed publisher..and creating doubt about interventions which have a strong evidence base (such as higher taxes on alcoholic beverages)...
- Rammohan V, Hahn R, Elder R, Brewer R, Fielding J, Naimi T, et al. Effects of dram shop liability and enhanced overservice law enforcement initiatives on excessive alcohol consumption and related harms: Two community guide systematic reviews. Am J Prev Med. 2011;41:334-43 pubmed publisher..Liability in a state can be established by case law or statute. Overservice laws prohibit the sale of alcoholic beverages to intoxicated patrons drinking in on-premises retail alcohol outlets (i.e...